• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In general do people know where you mean when you say Bay Area?

What does 'Bay Area' mean to you?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I lived in SoCal for five years and I had a bunch of people say "Oh, the Bay Area" when I said I went to school in Sacramento. I now live in the Bay Area and I'd consider SF, Oakland, and Marin County to be the Bay. But I work with people who consider the Lamorinda/ Walnut Creek area to be in the Bay Area.

I'm interested now where people outside of California think Silicon Valley is.
Lamorinda is definitely Bay Area, east bay to be precise. Silicon Valley is also considered South Bay. Sac is definitely not in the bay.

Jag

Tri-state area is the commutable area surrounding NYC.

The City obviously refers to NYC. There is no other city in the world that can even come close.

To me, the Bay Area was San Francisco and some other stuff around it somewhere on the West Coast.

Like this

51sfD2qNhjL.jpg

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
82b96e096dad3d72631f27ad447ceecd.jpg

Growing up this is what "Bay Area" meant to me.

Wasn't until college I learned it referred to something else.

Dishwalla

Banned
I was born in San Jose(left in 1994) so whenever I hear "the Bay Area" that is indeed what my mind goes to. Only other area I've heard described as "Bay Area" is Tampa.
82b96e096dad3d72631f27ad447ceecd.jpg

Growing up this is what "Bay Area" meant to me.

Wasn't until college I learned it referred to something else.

I live in Norfolk and I've never heard of any of this as the Bay Area.

As somebody from Kansas City:

-Yeah, I know what Bay Area means. Although I might not be able to tell you every municipality beyond SF, Oakland, Richmond (?) and Berkeley.

-Tri-State Area, I couldn't tell you... Something in the northeast. I probably would have guessed NY/NJ/something else, maybe PA or MA.

Tri-state area is the commutable area surrounding NYC.

The City obviously refers to NYC. There is no other city in the world that can even come close.

To me, the Bay Area was San Francisco and some other stuff around it somewhere on the West Coast.

Like this

51sfD2qNhjL.jpg

I've always liked this picture because while the joke is that nothing besides NYC matters to New Yorkers, the one city they chose to represent the area between Vegas and Jersey is Kansas City, not STL, Cleveland, Denver or anything else.

sca2511

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";237031725]Sacramento = South Oregon
Bay Area = Norcal
LA = SoCal
San Diego = Mexico[/QUOTE]

hahaha

Commander Kook

Neo Member
I grew up in Carmel/Monterey, and most people there consider it part of the bay area. Of course Monterey actually having a bay feeds this belief. That wiki map has us outside the red area though.

Hindl

so there are more than one Tri-State?

because up here it means VT, NH and ME

Yeah I grew up in South Jersey and it was the Delaware Valley, aka South Jersey, Southeastern PA, and Northern Delaware. But the most famous Tri-state area is NY-NJ-CT

Not even wiki backs you up on this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-state_area

Tri state is NY-CT-NJ

or NJ-PA-DE (the later is really only for the philly area)

The first sentence of that article:

There are a number of areas in the 48 contiguous United States known informally as tri-state areas.

NYC is the most famous but there's more than one

I grew up in Carmel/Monterey, and most people there consider it part of the bay area. Of course Monterey actually having a bay feeds this belief. That wiki map has us outside the red area though.

It's where people draw their culture from. If you're reading the same news and watching the same sports teams, naturally there will be an affinity there. Whereas Sacramento has their own media market, I can see how some places further south might gravitates towards the Bay Area.

I'm​ not from the US but I have a rough idea of what it's referring to. But then I spend hours every week listening to podcasts by people who live there.

TheMan

Tri state I think is highly region-dependent. Growing up it meant the area near the IL-MO-KY borders

Phu

Banned
People know what you mean when you say 'bay area' but it'd be super-weird if you said it with no additional context while outside of California [or neighboring states].

Lamorinda is definitely Bay Area, east bay to be precise. Silicon Valley is also considered South Bay. Sac is definitely not in the bay.

Yes. Yes. Yes. And Yes.

Bay Area =
SF
+ "South Bay" (San Jose and surrounding cities, such as Cupertino)
+ "peninsula" (basically anything on the western side of the bay north of Mountain View and south of SF)
+ "East Bay" (anything north of ~Milpitas on the eastern side of the bay up to around Crocket - includes Oakland and Berkeley - extends east and encompass the "outer bay area" regions, which includes cities like Walnut Creek, Pleasanton and Livermore)
+ "North Bay" (Marin, Sonoma, and Napa counties)

The central valley cities of Stockton and Modesto are not part of the Bay Area (even if a not-insignificant amount of people commute from there for work). Nor is Sacramento (even if also people commute back and forth).

Futureman

Refers to Putin Bay... One of the classiest resorts in America where all the real celebs go. You've heard of Martha's Vineyard but this is where the real famous people get away.

Well, some people call New Jersey "Jersey" despite Jersey being a place already.

To be precise, every single person from New Jersey refers to it as "Jersey," and will mention they are from there within 15 seconds of meeting you, then continue bringing it up twice an hour for the remainder of every interaction you have with them forever. Because "Jersey" is apparently the Vegan of states.

I've lived in the beach cities of Southern California for most of my life and we call the collection of 4 or so beach-facing towns the "South Bay" down here. A handful of people (usually out of state) have occasionally confused it for me saying I live in the Bay Area. Basically my one pointless gripe about location and title.

But yeah, if you go down here a lot of places have the title "South Bay ______".

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Oh, I don't know if I know the answer to that. I think it's across the bay. In Alameda.

Magus1234

Bay area is what I say to someone who may not know CA's geography as intimately as you do. Otherwise you get specific, north bay, south bay, east bay, the city, Sac...etc

Boogie9IGN

Growing up I used to tell people I lived near SF. Around high school I started saying Bay Area. Nowadays I still say Bay Area or San Jose if they're from California or Vietnamese.

Why are they called the Golden State warriors? What is Golden State ? I know in Texas we have the Golden triangle.

Not sure if serious but iirc they used to be the San Francisco Warriors and Golden State = SF gold rush (like the 49ers)/California's state nickname

Acorn

British, closest I've been to Cali is the East coast (ha). Just thought it meant San Fran and the accompanying metro area.

Bay Area I thought was synonymous with Northern California but along the ocean/San Francisco Bay, but it looks like San Francisco is more southern than I thought.

Tri-State area I thought referred to Cincinnati and its suburbs.

Ronin Ray

Growing up I used to tell people I lived near SF. Around high school I started saying Bay Area. Nowadays I still say Bay Area or San Jose if they're from California or Vietnamese.

Not sure if serious but iirc they used to be the San Francisco Warriors and Golden State = SF gold rush (like the 49ers)/California's state nickname

Thanks I honestly didn't know that.

Massicot

I think most people know what you mean when you say Bay Area, although they might not know all the geography around it. I mean, most people will know San Francisco and Oakland, but I couldn't tell you if Mission Viejo was Bay Area without consulting a map (it turns out that it is most definitely not). Bay Area just defaults to "San Francisco," at least on the West Coast.

Now wait a minute. Bay Area means "area around the bay." I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Eureka, 270 miles away, would not be described by anyone as "Bay Area." The Bay Area is not the entirety of Northern California. It doesn't even mean some of the Central Valley that's within a hundred miles. Here's what Wikipedia shows:

Nah I live in the Sacramento Area now and I wouldn't call it the Bay Area.

Edit: On second glance I think what you mean is Bay Area is North CA just like Los Angeles would be South CA

That's astronomically broader than any interpretation I've ever used.

Bay Area in my mind is, roughly, the counties adjacent to the bay. Even that's a little broad.

Mugger has it. I meant that area of norcal

inner-G

Banned
Commencement Bay

or if they're talking about California, it means Oakland... you know, like all the Too $hort songs.

It's more or less Vallejo to Santa Clara. There's the East Bay (Oakland, Emeryville, Berkeley, etc), the south bay (San Jose, Santa Clara, etc), North Bay (wine country) and then SF (SF, South San Francisco, maybe San Mateo?).

Some people consider Santa Cruz apart of the bay area as well.. Don't know if I agree with that.

No way in hell is Sacramento apart of that. It's the Valley.

Norcal- Nobody cares about these guys.

:(
It's true, but you don't have to say it!

Kisaya

I don't think it's pretentious but I feel like people definitely use terms like Bay Area (or Tri-State and "Chicagoland") make themselves feel more a part of a major city that they're not actually in.

I've heard the argument that it's just easier using those terms to describe people where you are geographically, but I don't see what's not any clearer than just stating the actual city/town you're in.

I don't think it's pretentious but I feel like people definitely use terms like Bay Area (or Tri-State and "Chicagoland") make themselves feel more a part of a major city that they're not actually in.

I've heard the argument that it's just easier using those terms to describe people where you are geographically, but I don't see what's not any clearer than just stating the actual city/town you're in.

Agreed.
And, "Chicagoland" is a terrible term. May as well call it Disneyland.

Metroxed

There are other bay areas around the world and people associate the term with the bay area that they know or is the closest to them. If I said "bay area" to someone in my country I doubt any of them would think about the SF area in California.

Tevious

Being from Florida, we also called the area around Tampa Bay the "Bay Area". I assumed it meant that until I heard it mentioned as the San Francisco Bay Area.

Afrikan

Being a San Francisco resident.....I remember when I first heard Bay Area when watching a football game involving the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

I was like whoaaa. o_O

edit- there you go. ^

Top Bottom