• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In general do people know where you mean when you say Bay Area?

What does 'Bay Area' mean to you?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Growing up I used to tell people I lived near SF. Around high school I started saying Bay Area. Nowadays I still say Bay Area or San Jose if they're from California or Vietnamese.

Not sure if serious but iirc they used to be the San Francisco Warriors and Golden State = SF gold rush (like the 49ers)/California's state nickname
The gold rush wasn't centered on San Francisco. It was centered on Sacramento, that's why Sacramento is the capital of California.
VU3OS1O.gif

Edit: Looking at your post again I'm not sure you were saying the gold rush was in San Francisco. Also, California is called the Golden State because of the large fields of grass that in summer have dried yellow have shiny seeds. The wind blows the grass and makes the terrain shimmer, like it is covered in gold.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I grew up in Southern Ontario (that's in Canada US GAF) and for me "The City" always meant Toronto.

The gold rush wasn't centered on San Francisco. It was centered on Sacramento, that's why Sacramento is the capital of California.
VU3OS1O.gif

Edit: Looking at your post again I'm not sure you were saying the gold rush was in San Francisco. Also, California is called the Golden State because of the large fields of grass that in summer have dried yellow have shiny seeds. The wind blows the grass and makes the terrain shimmer, like it is covered in gold.

Spoken like someone who isn't from Cali.

Any Californian will tell you that the reason it's called the Golden State is because of the extensive research Huell Howser dedicated his life towards. He found that California's Gold was found in the communities and hearts of the people across the great state, a life long mission that he undertook until his end.

Bless Huell.

Qblivion

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that the bay area is considered northern California? Sure, if you draw a line through the middle it is in the top half, but in a sane world it should be considered central. When I think of northern California I think of endless farmland, redwoods, and Mt. Shasta.

Isn't that where the watermelons grow?
Back to my home?
I dare not go.
For if I do, my mother will say.
Have you ever seen a llama, wearing pajamas?
Down by the bay!

Freiya

Yes, in general people do know "Bay Area" means the SF area.

I'll blow your mind one further and say that a lot of people on the west side of the country will recognize the nickname "The City" as referring to San Francisco, as well, even if they live in other cities on the West Coast. For a very long time, SF was the only major city west of the Mississippi that could match the East Coast cities in size, culture, and technology, and so if you said "The City" out west, you automatically and obviously meant SF. It wasn't until Los Angeles started to really grow in the early 20th century that SF had any kind of competition in that regard. To this day, it retains that nickname among older folks, and I even knew people who lived in the Seattle area who meant SF when they said "I'm going to visit The City for a few days."

So true! I can go say I'm going to "the city" right now and people will instantly know I'm talking about SF lol.

I lived in SoCal for five years and I had a bunch of people say "Oh, the Bay Area" when I said I went to school in Sacramento. I now live in the Bay Area and I'd consider SF, Oakland, and Marin County to be the Bay. But I work with people who consider the Lamorinda/ Walnut Creek area to be in the Bay Area.

I'm interested now where people outside of California think Silicon Valley is.

I live in Pittsburg California and we consider it the Bay area. About 45 mins from SF/Oakland.

Top Bottom