• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

missile

Are you a coder? Have you ever programmed professionally? Because otherwise you have zero rights to estimate the bolded parts. I know you address that on the next paragraph but it needs to be said again. Those signs in your "looking for programmer" post are a huge turn off to any freelance programmer. Anyone who makes a living coding knows to avoid ads that basically boil down to "I have a great idea, it just needs a little programming. I can't pay much but you can do it in your spare time".

No one wants to work for other people projects, specially when they are something as personal as a game. Just imagine a painter outsourcing the actual painting, "I have this image so clear on my head, you just need to paint it". Ridiculous.

If you really want to get someone to help you:
- Don't devaluate other's people work from the start saying "it's something small". That's not up to you to actually evaluate.
- Give some factual data of what you need to be done. If you can't elaborate then you have no idea what you are talking about and need to do some research.
- Programming is an art. If you want a "non professional" programmer you'll get messy results. If it's something so easy a "small time programmer" why not do it yourself?
- Have more respect for other people spare time. Saying "Just work on you spare time and be happy to be paid minimum wage (or less)" is a no-no.

I guess what I'm trying to say, your ad looks disrespectful to any potential employee. It basically boils down to "I'm looking for a small-time programmer who's looking to work in their spare time for as cheap as I can on a non descriptive task that I can't articulate but it's very small and easy so I shouldn't pay you much for it.
I couldn't say it any better.

How "indie" were all those companies? ...
Good question.

@Feep: Going by the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmoZAPDV3ewat
(around 1h:22m), at least one of those (indies?) got a devkit.

Could they have been given loaner dev kits like the Sony site mentions? From what I understand PSM runs on devices that have really low specs, (Android phones and a gimped Vita) would it make sense to port something from it to the PS4?
Don't know, could be an enhanced version for the PS4. Am just speculating.

Anyhow.
How is best indie game portfolio, most open platform, indie section, self
publishing
etc. envisioned by Mr. Boyes? He talked about it at E3, see
1h:22m to 1h:24min in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmoZAPDV3ew.
To whom does it apply?

Rest assured: it does! :D But on the bright side, once you have the ability to emulate physics in a certain scene with a simplified model or the real model, and scale down the tracked objects or up, depending on the hardware you are playing, you pretty much got the engine that will last for quite some time : )
Indeed. And that's only possible if you start from a very theoretical level,
which takes quite some time and is a bit daunting at times, since you won't
be able to see anything for a while, you only have the picture in your head no
one else is seeing. Another issue of developing such a craft simulator is that
you can't even build it incrementally, since the formulas are quite coupled.
Everything needs to be in place at once.
With respect to the 'lasting' property, I'm going to program the simulator in
C, since C isn't tied to any platform. C is just the language, no massive
frameworks or vendor specific rules to adhere to. This way I can bring the
code to much more platforms contrary to common believe. For example, the code
can also run on a DS, 3DS, etc. Anyhow, in general, I guess, the code will be
called via a native interface. With regard to this I recently made some
experience with C# in calling native methods. Works good. Calling the
simulator from C# won't pose any big problems.

Vard

^ That all sounds awesome. As a fan of futuristic racers, I have to say that I'm quite looking forward to what you are working on.

I also find it impressive you've mostly been working on paper so far. How far away do you think you are from like a first build?

nukembashi

Neo Member
Are you a coder? Have you ever programmed professionally? Because otherwise you have zero rights to estimate the bolded parts. I know you address that on the next paragraph but it needs to be said again. Those signs in your "looking for programmer" post are a huge turn off to any freelance programmer. Anyone who makes a living coding knows to avoid ads that basically boil down to "I have a great idea, it just needs a little programming. I can't pay much but you can do it in your spare time".

No one wants to work for other people projects, specially when they are something as personal as a game. Just imagine a painter outsourcing the actual painting, "I have this image so clear on my head, you just need to paint it". Ridiculous.

If you really want to get someone to help you:
- Don't devaluate other's people work from the start saying "it's something small". That's not up to you to actually evaluate.
- Give some factual data of what you need to be done. If you can't elaborate then you have no idea what you are talking about and need to do some research.
- Programming is an art. If you want a "non professional" programmer you'll get messy results. If it's something so easy a "small time programmer" why not do it yourself?
- Have more respect for other people spare time. Saying "Just work on you spare time and be happy to be paid minimum wage (or less)" is a no-no.

I guess what I'm trying to say, your ad looks disrespectful to any potential employee. It basically boils down to "I'm looking for a small-time programmer who's looking to work in their spare time for as cheap as I can on a non descriptive task that I can't articulate but it's very small and easy so I shouldn't pay you much for it.

I'm sorry that I sounded disrespectful. From the further comments about my post, it's obvious that it apparently came off as being extremely so. I evaluated the job based on my own skill level at coding. Since it's not my career path to go IT or anything directly related to maintenance of computer systems and software, I assumed that anyone I hired with that kind of background, or even just an interest would have the same or better skill in that field and I, and could finish it at least as fast as I could.

I also apologize that I didn't know that any project with pay less than 100USD/day is considered minimum wage. I'll try to be more sensitive to what is considered acceptable pay in the future. I knew that it was a pretty small budget to begin with, but I guess I severely underestimated what people in this field are willing to take for compensation.

I'm sorry that I sounded disrespectful. From the further comments about my post, it's obvious that it apparently came off as being extremely so. I evaluated the job based on my own skill level at coding. Since it's not my career path to go IT or anything directly related to maintenance of computer systems and software, I assumed that anyone I hired with that kind of background, or even just an interest would have the same or better skill in that field and I, and could finish it at least as fast as I could.

I also apologize that I didn't know that any project with pay less than 100USD/day is considered minimum wage. I'll try to be more sensitive to what is considered acceptable pay in the future. I knew that it was a pretty small budget to begin with, but I guess I severely underestimated what people in this field are willing to take for compensation.

It's just a tip and I'm just repeating the common sentiment on the field. So a few tips when posting the real ad:

- You don't get to say how easy something is or how long it should take. Even if you KNOW it would take you X hours.
- If you have a deadline make that clear.
- Make a description as detailed as possible of the problem you have, NOT the solution, the problem. Post how much you are willing to pay to have that problem solved.
- Don't go the hourly/daily rate route when commissioning work, it will only give you headaches. I'm all in for selling my time instead of my work and let the employer choose how to spend it but in your case it seems it will only give you trouble.

JulianImp

Can anyone recommend other websites/forums for small game development? I know of TigSource, but that's about it.

Do you mean, like, websites for getting the word out about a game or learning about other games that are being made/released, or one where you can learn about game development?

Gamasutra has some articles, even though it's often more focused on high-profile games. You also have IndieGames, which focuses a lot more on indie games.Pixel Prospector also focuses on indie games, but also has lots of indie resource links.

nukembashi

Neo Member
It's just a tip and I'm just repeating the common sentiment on the field. So a few tips when posting the real ad:

- You don't get to say how easy something is or how long it should take. Even if you KNOW it would take you X hours.
- If you have a deadline make that clear.
- Make a description as detailed as possible of the problem you have, NOT the solution, the problem. Post how much you are willing to pay to have that problem solved.
- Don't go the hourly/daily rate route when commissioning work, it will only give you headaches. I'm all in for selling my time instead of my work and let the employer choose how to spend it but in your case it seems it will only give you trouble.

Well, I made sure to take all that in mind when putting up the actual ad, since I don't want to treat NeoGAF like Indeed.com.

Although, I calculated the rate based off of what I'd be willing to accept for a job like the one I want done for the timeframe I had in mind. And then I multiplied it by two to ensure that pay wouldn't be the primary issue at hand. Maybe I'd just make an extraordinarily cheap freelance programmer, haha.

On your point about how easy or long something should take, I know that it shouldn't be in the ad itself, but I think that I should be able to have a say in that. After all, a good manager needs to either have the skillset to do the job he's hiring for, or at the very least have enough skill in the particular field to be capable of evaluating how good the applicants are. If a retail store manager hasn't a clue how to do projection analyses of monthly turnover to predict extremely rough product ordering numbers or even how to interpret a chart telling her those figures, hiring an assistant manager to do that for her wouldn't do any good if she's incapable of evaluating their work.

Ashodin

Progress is moving fast and furious on my puzzle combat game.

It's called APEXICON, and I've fixed up the board you'll be using for the game.

I'm crafting it in Construct 2, which is perfect for this type of thing.

KuK2qqs.png

You may have seen earlier boards with triangle slices, but I think boxes just make things easy and simple to create at first. Currently, the game allows you to enter words, but I have to create a letter limit, and the submit/delete mechanics of the word. The submit part of the mechanic will be hard as I need to hook up a dictionary to the game.

On your point about how easy or long something should take, I know that it shouldn't be in the ad itself, but I think that I should be able to have a say in that. After all, a good manager needs to either have the skillset to do the job he's hiring for, or at the very least have enough skill in the particular field to be capable of evaluating how good the applicants are. If a retail store manager hasn't a clue how to do projection analyses of monthly turnover to predict extremely rough product ordering numbers or even how to interpret a chart telling her those figures, hiring an assistant manager to do that for her wouldn't do any good if she's incapable of evaluating their work.

Sure, but you should let the employee tell you how much they think it would take them then you either accept it or reject it. Never say something like "but I would do it in X time!".

As I said, you should say something along the lines of "I need X solved before Y weeks and I'm willing to pay Z for that". How many man-hours it actually takes the programmer to actually get there shouldn't concern you.

charsace

When you are multithreading a game how do you guys go about it? I know that everything can be multithreaded, but if you go that route things get more difficult. if you still have an order to what you are doing, but you multithread things that really benefit from it like physics and rendering things get easier, but the benefits of multithreading or lessened considerably. Multithreading also doesn't work too well when you have one array of game objects because you can't share the lists between threads if you are threading it. You would need an entity component design to see the true benefits of threading. Maybe I'm wrong though.

When you are multithreading a game how do you guys go about it? I know that everything can be multithreaded, but if you go that route things get more difficult. if you still have an order to what you are doing, but you multithread things that really benefit from it like physics and rendering things get easier, but the benefits of multithreading or lessened considerably. Multithreading also doesn't work too well when you have one array of game objects because you can't share the lists between threads if you are threading it. You would need an entity component design to see the true benefits of threading. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Well your question is way too ample and basically boils down to "how to use threads", so there's no good answer to that. I don't get the bolded part since threads have a shared memory pool.

For indie game developers I would say there's no benefit in multithreading, on most cases the headache is not worth it. There are some particular things like AI that seem to works pretty well in a separate thread by itself though.

Other approach I've read about is that you actually set a pretty defined pipeline and have different cores work on different parts of the pipeline.

Feep

Banned
Switching gears, despite not being able to find some hired help to do small stuff, does anyone have any recommendations for finding non-programmer staffing for indie projects? I can do writing on my own, but what about voice acting and artwork? Small-time voice actors and on-commission portrait artists are usually available, but I'd need a good storyboarder or a voice actor that's used to reading full act-sized dialogue lines. This thread may be largely about the programming side of indie game development, but what about the rest of the game?
If you (or anyone else in this thread) need voice actors, send me a PM. I'll hook you up. I have a fairly large network of talented VO folks who are just breaking into the industry.

soapOD

Progress is moving fast and furious on my puzzle combat game.

It's called APEXICON, and I've fixed up the board you'll be using for the game.

I'm crafting it in Construct 2, which is perfect for this type of thing.

KuK2qqs.png

You may have seen earlier boards with triangle slices, but I think boxes just make things easy and simple to create at first. Currently, the game allows you to enter words, but I have to create a letter limit, and the submit/delete mechanics of the word. The submit part of the mechanic will be hard as I need to hook up a dictionary to the game.

Dude, that looks rad - definitely get a Warhammer codex vibe from that font and the black/white look.

Blizzard

Banned
The font reminds me of Century Schoolbook so much, but it's slightly more "degraded" looking or something, not as precise. I'm curious what it is.

It reminds me of the McGuffey readers which were probably some of the books I used learning to read:

jrDev

Hey guys, I've been working in Unity for a while and I've created custom editors and plugins to use in my game development. I've put them up on the asset store but I don't know if its okay to post them here if anyone is interested.
Switching gears, despite not being able to find some hired help to do small stuff, does anyone have any recommendations for finding non-programmer staffing for indie projects? I can do writing on my own, but what about voice acting and artwork? Small-time voice actors and on-commission portrait artists are usually available, but I'd need a good storyboarder or a voice actor that's used to reading full act-sized dialogue lines. This thread may be largely about the programming side of indie game development, but what about the rest of the game?
Try unity3d.voicebunny.com

Stulaw

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone's used Starling? I've got a game idea and I think it'll be perfect using Vector Graphics and it would just be a small Flash based game with a few levels, just to try it out. My project name's called Space Smasher, and I was wondering if Starling was any good to use for scrolling levels, and object collision.

I've made a game of Minesweeper in Java Swing, and a Cannon shooting game in MOgre before for coursework in University, so this will be my first standalone project.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone's used Starling? I've got a game idea and I think it'll be perfect using Vector Graphics and it would just be a small game with a few levels, just to try it out. My project name's called Space Smasher, and I was wondering if Starling was any good to use for scrolling levels, and object collision.

I've made a game of Minesweeper in Java Swing, and a Cannon shooting game in MOgre before for coursework in University, so this will be my first standalone project.

What is Starling?

edit: nvm found it via google<3

How do the fights work?

I'm both hoping and not hoping that it's like Boggle where you have to find attack names in the grid, and the other person's attacking you in real time. The longer the attack name the more damage it does and stuff.

Hoping because that'd be awesome, not hoping because I thought I was being original >_>

nukembashi

Neo Member
I'm both hoping and not hoping that it's like Boggle where you have to find attack names in the grid, and the other person's attacking you in real time. The longer the attack name the more damage it does and stuff.

Hoping because that'd be awesome, not hoping because I thought I was being original >_>

You know, if you successfully hook up a dictionary and thesaurus to the game, I'd definitely look into investing if you can get the coding to automatically apply attacks based off of the definition and thesaurus synonyms/antonyms of the word.

I'd like to be able to arbitrarily enter in "MASTICATE" and cause biting or poison damage, or "AD HOMINIM" and put a rage or confusion status effect on my opponent.

You know, if you successfully hook up a dictionary and thesaurus to the game, I'd definitely look into investing if you can get the coding to automatically apply attacks based off of the definition and thesaurus synonyms/antonyms of the word.

I'd like to be able to arbitrarily enter in "MASTICATE" and cause biting or poison damage, or "AD HOMINIM" and put a rage or confusion status effect on my opponent.

Holy crap that would be incredible. If only Scribblenauts was open source :c

Ashodin

You guys are giving me good ideas!

How it works is you pick your word from the tiles, and then they get used up, erased, and new tiles flow in from the top (with a kick ass train station board flip animation). Some tiles will have "magics" embedded within them, allowing things to happen to the board if you use them, such as pushing all the letters one way or so.

ArJRuyS.gif

GIF erasure!

You guys are giving me good ideas!

How it works is you pick your word from the tiles, and then they get used up, erased, and new tiles flow in from the top (with a kick ass train station board flip animation). Some tiles will have "magics" embedded within them, allowing things to happen to the board if you use them, such as pushing all the letters one way or so.

Sounds awesome :D

Hey look I've got things doing stuff on my thing:

jVPt2p7.gif

Currently it's just run when you press space. I got bored of doing arty stuff so those tiles are all just quick placeholders I threw together. And my god doing sprites is boring. I've just given up on finishing that shading for now.

Ashodin

Whoa, I got letter erasure working, but a neato side effect occurred while scripting.

GIF'd:

4YSamMv.gif

It rushes through letters and settles on one. Pretty neat effect!

charsace

Well your question is way too ample and basically boils down to "how to use threads", so there's no good answer to that. I don't get the bolded part since threads have a shared memory pool.

For indie game developers I would say there's no benefit in multithreading, on most cases the headache is not worth it. There are some particular things like AI that seem to works pretty well in a separate thread by itself though.

Other approach I've read about is that you actually set a pretty defined pipeline and have different cores work on different parts of the pipeline.

When you are threading the threads can't access the same part of memory. Which is why a component system where components aren't dependent on each other makes the most sense for threaded code.

dude

dude
Hey guys. I'm (and some friends) developing a small game right now, which is super fun and very exciting. But now I come to the point I'm wondering about pricing. I seem to be a little out of touch in that regard. Would you buy a 2-3 hours adventure game for 5$? Would you do so even if the game had a low replayability? Should I aim for a lower price?

Anyway, I also hope to have some screenshots to post soon :)

missile

Whoa, I got letter erasure working, but a neato side effect occurred while scripting.

GIF'd:

4YSamMv.gif

It rushes through letters and settles on one. Pretty neat effect!
Cool stuff.
Weren't you the guy giving birth to Mr. Microwave? What happend to him? :D

jVPt2p7.gif

Currently it's just run when you press space. I got bored of doing arty stuff so those tiles are all just quick placeholders I threw together. And my god doing sprites is boring. I've just given up on finishing that shading for now.
These scrollers never get old. Am curious how it turns out!

Lots of jumping confirmed! Looks cool though.
You seem to be working on it quite for a while. How is it going in general?

missile

^ That all sounds awesome. As a fan of futuristic racers, I have to say that I'm quite looking forward to what you are working on.

I also find it impressive you've mostly been working on paper so far. How far away do you think you are from like a first build?
Yeah those racers have a special appeal. I have a clear vision for ZONE and
so it can take quite awhile before we can see anything resampling the game,
simply because I have to spend a lot of time on the (mathematical) methods.
Most stuff will be new. But the first build of the simulator should be ready
within the next six to eight weeks. Steps to do:
(a) Improve on the formulas.
(b) Need to code it all up (non-optimized)
(c) Simple graphical representation (using OpenGL, I guess)

---

tl;dr
My simulator is going to be way cool and may perhaps lead to a
new game called AIR DRIFT!!!
m-aargh.gif

I've further cranked up the formulas and from what I have up to this point
a flight simulator would already drop out naturally. An AG craft would take a
little more treatment since it interacts with the ground in much more
sophisticated ways, whereas an aircraft sticks to the air almost always.
Recently I ordered some books to read off the aerodynamic coefficients for
lift and drag for some airfoils for use in the equations. That's needed, if
you just don't want to see only Mickey Mouse movement of the aircraft. ;)
Well, the relation between lift, drag, and angle of attack isn't something you
will come up by inspection. The industry spends millions of dollars computing
these data. Fortunately, some of them are free, for example the NACA airfoil
family from NASA. With the help of these data one can build quite realistic
movement of an (air)craft. Well, the data on its own isn't worth so much. But
combined with a good simulator makes you fly.

Due to this, I may eventually release another game before ZONE using the new
simulator to earn some money for further development of ZONE, or I may sell
the simulator to those who want to have some cool flying dynamics in their
games.

Well, it wouldn't be too hard to make kind of a thrilling flying game out of
this if I would stop by now and start coding the simulator all up. Placing
some gates here and there, collecting points, get a bonus for grabbing items
while the aircraft is under zero lift (stalling, air drifting), flying against
the time, having a few different behaving aircrafts etc. would pretty much
guaranty a challenging game just through the sophistication if the simulator.
I think I may call the game AIR DRIFT. Since money burns at a rapid rate, it
seems I have to generate a lil more income, based on the technology am
developing, to stay afloat.

First build of the simulator?
Well, I still have to finish all the equations. And for one I want to have
this variable mass feature implemented. It's going to be very tricky if you
actually want this feature to influence all 6 degrees of freedom of a craft.
It would be easier to realize this if we would neglect the effects on inertia
and hence just only count the loss or increase in mass, without any effects on
the behavior of the craft. This is usually done in simplified rocket science.
But the real kicker here is when the rate of change of mass influences the
craft as well. This, unfortunately, requires to compute the time derivative of
the inertia tensor each timestep. The inertia tensor (describing the mass
distribution of a body around any given axis) is one of the most computational
expensive quantity of all -- and as such neglected almost everywhere xD --.
However, if you really compute the inertia tensor within a coordinate frame
embedded within the craft, having its origin at the center of mass, then the
inertia tensor remains constant over the entire simulation as long as the mass
distribution doesn't change. Now if mass can change during the simulation the
inertia tensor won't remain constant. It becomes dependent on time. So one has
to compute the rate of change of the inertia tensor over time. Up to my
knowledge, no one ever did that outside of rocket science. xD Hell, most games
claiming to be the world's most advanced car/flight simulator don't even
compute the center of mass, nor even the inertia tensor, not speaking about
variable mass. Well, lets look at two examples; X-Plane and Microsoft Flight
Simulator (MSFS). X-Plane claims to be [cit.] "The World's Most Advanced
Flight Simulator", likewise with MSFS. However both simulators require to
give the center of mass and inertia data as input, as an estimate, see
X-Plane, see MSFS. Both simulators then use their individual chewing tactics
to crank out a suitable flight model based in these estimates and others. With
respect to my simulator, I actually compute this data and as such I'm able to
consider non-constant behavior of both of these quantities, yielding, within
this regard, a much more advanced flight simulator than both of these
simulators combined. Uhh! Why? Well, X-Plane and MSFS do have many, many
different aircrafts, and it is impossible to get all the data of those
aircraft necessary for implementing a much better simulator. The data they
have is the (surface) geometry of the aircraft and a data sheet including
rough specs like weight, engine performance, inertia, etc.

Well, to be able to compute quantities like center of mass and inertia, one
needs volume information. One would need the aircraft to be modeled as a
volume full of material volumes describing the properties of the aircraft at
each location. You can be rest assured to never get such data from any vendor.
Hence, within this regard, it's the best what X-Plane and MSFS can do. They
have to rely on the given data, which themselves are just very rough
approximations at times. So we can't blame them doing so. But how does this
holds up to "The World's Most Advanced Flight Simulator"? Hmmm. And it doesn't
help having real pilots saying the game feels so natural. ;) However, good
games nevertheless!

How does it compare to what I'm building?
Now say you model the full airplane by yourself with all the material
properties etc., and have as such all the data available. Wouldn't it be cool
if the simulator would take all these data into account? We could actually
compute the real center of mass and the real inertia tensor, leading to a much
more realistic dynamics of the aircraft. This, as will anybody tell you who
ever had something to do with it, is impossible to compute for a game. And on
a general scale it is, indeed, as I've indicated in one of may latest post. An
aircraft would take GBs of memory and massive computational power making the
whole approach unfeasible for any realtime computation. This is actually the
approach used in the aircraft industry where you have to model and compute the
data this way to get any realistic data out through a simulation predicting
important characteristics of an aircraft.

Well, I'm doing it the same way. I'm also using the full equations and all the
volume masses. So what's the catch? Who says that modeling all the volumes of
an aircraft needs to be so precise and detailed? Looking at the Wright
brothers' aircrafts, one can see that just a few volume elements can make up
an entire aircraft as well, which, independent of the amount of elements used,
needs to undergo the same physical laws. Now here is the kicker; I'm going to
build 'simple' aircrafts out of a few material volumes and feed this data to
the full simulator. This way we will get a much more realistic behavior while
applying the full equations of motion and computing the real center of mass
and real inertial tensor. This should lead to a pretty cool simulator.

The model can be as detailed as you want. It just depends on the resources
you can spend. You may for example build a very detailed one and cut it down
(lumping) to suit a certain computational budget. Etc. Ahh, and don't think
just because the model consist of just a few elements will make the look of
the aircraft appear coarse. Think of the elements (I'm calling them finite
elements) as a skeleton. Warp a nice geometry around and you are up to
something pretty cool.

Now one can see the difference to my approach compared to for example
X-Plane's or MSFS's. My approach requires the real material (volumetric) model
of an aircraft. Given that, a better simulation can be computed. Hence, there
won't be as much aircrafts in my game as you see in X-Plane or MSFS, since
both of these sims only require the geometry of the aircraft and a rough specs
sheet making it easier to include lots of aircrafts into the game, which is
really what people want to see in any flight simulator game.
However, I'm not going to build an all comprehensive flight simulator game.
The simulator I'm talking about here is build for the purpose of simulating
some specific (AG) crafts, and I don't need 10^32 of them. I just need them to
handle realistically. I want you to feel the mass, the momentum, and the
inertia of the craft at any instance. However, one can build a flight
simulator out of it as well. And I'm going to show this with AIR DRIFT, I
think.

Limanima

Hey guys. I'm (and some friends) developing a small game right now, which is super fun and very exciting. But now I come to the point I'm wondering about pricing. I seem to be a little out of touch in that regard. Would you buy a 2-3 hours adventure game for 5$? Would you do so even if the game had a low replayability? Should I aim for a lower price?

Anyway, I also hope to have some screenshots to post soon :)

Lowest possible price or free?
There are gazzilion games on this app markets and most of them are free.

jrDev

Hey guys, I've been working in Unity for a while and I've created custom editors and plugins to use in my game development. I've put them up on the asset store but I don't know if its okay to post them here if anyone is interested.
Anyone know?

Zajora

Hopefully someday I'll have something to post here. Someday. :<

I dunno. After reading the gaf ToS I'm not even sure if we are allowed to make posts linking to our own games. Though I have seen people show their games off in other threads...

I think you're just not supposed to make threads to promote your products or gain revenue based on links in replies.

Just my interpretation though, but based on what other people have posted in the past I can't imagine there would be an issue.

Sure, but you should let the employee tell you how much they think it would take them then you either accept it or reject it. Never say something like "but I would do it in X time!".

As I said, you should say something along the lines of "I need X solved before Y weeks and I'm willing to pay Z for that". How many man-hours it actually takes the programmer to actually get there shouldn't concern you.

nukembashi, i'm a talented programmer who could potentially be interested in your project. if it sounds interesting, i'd be willing to work on it without compensation. pm me with details if you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom