• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dascu

As promised, here is the first trailer of Malebolgia:

It's a rough trailer, quality isn't that great, sound effects are all off freesound.org, the in-game assets aren't finalized and the footage is a bit wonky at times.

But damn if I don't feel a little bit proud for finally reaching this point.

Servbot24

Banned
As promised, here is the first trailer of Malebolgia:

It's a rough trailer, quality isn't that great, sound effects are all off freesound.org, the in-game assets aren't finalized and the footage is a bit wonky at times.

But damn if I don't feel a little bit proud for finally reaching this point.

^That looks awesome man! Congrats on coming so far :)

Already had written this post, wish I had waited a bit now though, lol:

I have an idea for a fast-paced, side-scrolling action game with hand drawn graphics. Imagine Vanillaware doing MegaMan Zero with bullet hell elements. Shameless but I don't care :p

However I'm already working on a full game (which will get a peek in this thread soon I think!), so for now I just want to see if I can figure out animating the main character. Here's the design I'm working with, though I think I will go a bit more streamlined than that fully rendered drawing:

tumblr_mjckap6Nb21rom6duo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_motayvbawN1rom6duo1_1280.jpg

She will have quick movements, is very agile, and will have a variety of weapons. First I'm going to focus on her gun though, since that will likely be the simplest to animate. If there are any gaffers with experience in this area who would be interested in contributing to get a prototype going, send me a PM. This would be a very relaxed endeavor for the time being since as I mentioned, my focus is on another game right now. Wouldn't necessarily lead into anything big, just something to get some practice.

Speaking of which, what is the best engine for this sort of thing? I'm guessing not Unity, which is what I usually use.

dude

dude
Lowest possible price or free?
There are gazzilion games on this app markets and most of them are free.

Well, my game will be on PC, so I don't think I'm directly competing with mobile apps games.

Technically, I guess I could go lower, we're working on it on our spare times and using mostly free tools. What I'm mostly worried about is that because the game in an adventure game, it's strictly single player and it has low replayability. I'm not sure what people consider "value for money" for these type of games.
I guess I'll have to think about it, I might actually try and have a "pay what you can" type thing?

McNerdBurger

Neo Member
Well, my game will be on PC, so I don't think I'm directly competing with mobile apps games.

Technically, I guess I could go lower, we're working on it on our spare times and using mostly free tools. What I'm mostly worried about is that because the game in an adventure game, it's strictly single player and it has low replayability. I'm not sure what people consider "value for money" for these type of games.
I guess I'll have to think about it, I might actually try and have a "pay what you can" type thing?

If the experience is good enough, I'm always willing to pay $5-10 for a short, one-time game. 2-3 hours is fine with me if it's worth my time. Not everyone feels this way obviously.

vladimirdlc

Neo Member

Limanima

Ho sorry, I thought it was for mobile.

Paz

Tim has been working on an awesome new level and enemy type for Cactus, here's a quick peak at how it is playing out :D

rbomber2.gif

Things have slowed down a bit with our Greenlight campaign now that its over a week since the Total Biscuit video, and we're back to heavy content development.

What are peoples thoughts on doing pre-orders with alpha build access? Just an option we're considering since the game is in a really solid place.

Jobbs

Banned
been attempting to do my own VO for one of my npcs, at least, until if and when I find someone better.

the game is basically old school metroid meets dark souls, so there aren't a lot of npcs or dialogue, but I haev a couple of npcs with their own little story threads that run along with the player's progress and crash together by the end -- in mini-dark souls fashion.

I want it to sound echoey and ambient, like in dark souls, as if what you're hearing is part of the environment rather than the voice of god speaking. I have a sound guy who'll help me with this stuff later but I attempted to do some effects on my own.

The specific character I'm attempting to voice is Saymund, who is a slight homage to Siegemeyer with a few things in common. He's not round, though, and rather than being primarily an explorer, he's a scientist who prizes knowledge above his own safety.

I recorded this clip for the first time you encounter Saymund.

http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/VOtest-saymund_fx1.mp3

And below is from a bit later in the game, after you've encountered the other NPC, who he is referencing. I did a couple versions, one is a bit darker, one is a bit more aloof.

http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/saymund6b.mp3

Oscar!

seriously though, I've got no training and weak pipes for believable characters, but I'm trying hard and I'm getting a little better as I keep trying. I'm definitely having trouble with range and consistency, though.

Any tips?

Vard

What are peoples thoughts on doing pre-orders with alpha build access? Just an option we're considering since the game is in a really solid place.
Game is looking great! Alpha build access is a cool bonus in my opinion and certainly incentivizes early preordering. Would you plan on collecting user feedback from the alpha and then potentially adjust how the final build plays based on the feedback? That's one approach worth considering, anyway.

Limanima

To all Windows Phone developers:
I needed to track a bug on Windows Phone 8 devices, but I didn't own one. So I was having trouble troubleshooting this. I don't have Windows 8 either, so I couldn't test in the simulator either.
On the Windows Dev forums, some user pointed me to Nokia Remote Devices. This are devices that Nokia makes available for all developers (it's a free service). Developers can access remotely to a bunch of Nokia devices, install apps and test on them. This is great because they have all sorts of models. It works slow as hell, but it works. I managed to solve my issue with this. Here is the link for those interested: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Remote_device_access/

Now that I'm at this, let me warn all .NET developers on Windows Phone:
The method Path.GetDirectory() doesn't have the same behaviour in Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8. If the path ends with "//" (two backslashes), on WP7 both "/" are removed from the directory name, but on WP8 only one is removed returning an incorrect path.
This was causing my app to crash on Windows 8.

A rather late #ScreenshotSaturday but I announced Generations for OUYA here, I can't fully test until I get my console on tuesday but it should be a rather straight forward port with the MMF2 exporters I have.

The first version I plan to release is called The Trial, it's set about an hour in to the main game and features a chunk of the story and areas to adventure around, it will be completely free! with a paid option coming later once I finish the game and it's ready to sell.

Features include:
-Full 60 FPS gameplay (currently on modern phones)
-Original and retro style skills such as super jumps, speed ups, weapon enhancements and explosives to help you explore!
-Original 9 track OST by Satsuma Audio (listen to some tracks on SoundCloud)
-Artwork drawn by the lovely Judy Jong.
-Hours of fun, hopefully!

reddmyst

Tim has been working on an awesome new level and enemy type for Cactus, here's a quick peak at how it is playing out :D

rbomber.gif

Things have slowed down a bit with our Greenlight campaign now that its over a week since the Total Biscuit video, and we're back to heavy content development.

Wow, that looks awesome -- is that your own engine?

JNT

Okay, so my voxel tutorial is done. It's not the most efficient way to render voxels to be sure, but it is a good starting point for the uninitiated in my opinion.

Voxel Rendering Using Discrete Ray Tracing (Dropbox link, notify me if it doesn't work)

There are bound to be a few misspellings, or even leaps of logic, here and there as I typed up most of the nine pages yesterday. Feedback is appreciated.

charsace

Okay, so my voxel tutorial is done. It's not the most efficient way to render voxels to be sure, but it is a good starting point for the uninitiated in my opinion.

Voxel Rendering Using Discrete Ray Tracing (Dropbox link, notify me if it doesn't work)

There are bound to be a few misspellings, or even leaps of logic, here and there as I typed up most of the nine pages yesterday. Feedback is appreciated.
Thanks, been waiting on this.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
This is gonna be a real basic question, but my experience generally lies with 3D graphics/games programming so I need a bit of a pointer here.

Best resource for making 2D games? Used XNA once before but I'm not really sure I want to go there again. I already have a good bit of experience in OpenGL and Unity and had considered just going for Unity. The project's a 2D multiplayer shooter (I guess picture Awesomenauts or Terraria on a small scale) to get an idea of where it's gonna be headed.

EDIT: Should probably note I'll go with XNA if it's the best option but I was under the impression they've ceased support?
I swear it's just damn impossible to figure out the best platform to make certain types of game. I'd quite like it to be multi-platform.

V_Arnold

Cindres: Why not HTML5?
If it is 2d, you can do everything with that.

Alternatively, go for Java+OpenGl ES route, that way you will be secured on mobile side as well.

I have yet to gather enough data on whether these HTML5-to-everything solutions like Titanium or PhoneGap works, if anyone has some info on that, I would appreciate it.

At this point, I start every project as a HTML5-game, fast prototyping, easy to use, multiplatform as well. When (or: IF) I reach a point for the need of more optimization, Ill switch it up with an OpenGL solution instead of using the Canvas.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Cindres: Why not HTML5?
If it is 2d, you can do everything with that.

Alternatively, go for Java+OpenGl ES route, that way you will be secured on mobile side as well.

I have yet to gather enough data on whether these HTML5-to-everything solutions like Titanium or PhoneGap works, if anyone has some info on that, I would appreciate it.

At this point, I start every project as a HTML5-game, fast prototyping, easy to use, multiplatform as well. When (or: IF) I reach a point for the need of more optimization, Ill switch it up with an OpenGL solution instead of using the Canvas.

Mobile's definitely not something I'd be considering for this one but I may be tempted in going back to Java + OpenGL. Got decent experience in LWJGL.

HTML5 I imagine wouldn't be too hard to learn but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for. I definitely would like something very powerful and open.

V_Arnold

Mobile's definitely not something I'd be considering for this one but I may be tempted in going back to Java + OpenGL. Got decent experience in LWJGL.

HTML5 I imagine wouldn't be too hard to learn but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for. I definitely would like something very powerful and open.

If you are not interested in mobile, then HTML5 can still be powerful. Performance is not an issue on desktops. My unoptimized platform engine (or the bones of it) can easily run on 70-100fps with tons of object on screen on my desktop pc, which already has an underclocked CPU in it -.-

But if you already know Java, then that is a good choice as well, I guess.

usea

Speaking as a consumer for a moment: I would definitely preorder / pay early access for your game if it was the minecraft model of cheaper before release rather than the kickstarter model of more expensive for early access.

I'll be buying it either way. But I'd definitely pay before it was done to play it early.

I've already posted this on the indiegames June thread, but wanted to ask directly to dev GAF what the think of the alpha demo of our first game. As you are also game makers the feedback will be really appreaciated and could help us to make a better game. Also hoping to be in this thread a lot more now that we are into full making process, and im suscribing to it.
smalldemobannerk7usm.png

Links:
WINDOWS (64mb):
Red Little House website Mirror
Mediafire Mirror

MAC (65mb):
Mediafire Mirror

LINUX* (76mb):
Mediafire Mirror

The game uses unity engine, and its an isometric view adventure game.
As its an alpha demo only, this is what you will and will not encounter while trying. There is a lot still that we have to add to the game, like more character animations, and even the envirmental puzzles (zelda) part of the game.
This playable demo contains:

• A small level, part of the the first floor of the hotel, with the big lobby room, the maintenance corridor and Ninette's office.
  • Up to 9 characters you can talk, some of them with different dialogue options.
  • More than 30 scenery objects you can interact with.
  • More than 7 objects you will have to find and use to resolve the conversational puzzles.
  • Two different habilities to use, Anvil and Balloon.
  • Tons of lines of dialogue for Cherry, the different NPC's and the majority of scenery objects. You can even examine all these objects and characters for more information and jokes about them.
  • Two types of controls, keyboard and game pad (we recommend using a game pad).
  • One of the first music demo tracks, and sound effects for the some of the objects, all done by the Hankins Studio.
  • A small story from start to finish that will not appear in the final game.
  • Endings that come in three different tones, black, white and grey! And what you choose doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things!

As this is only an alpha demo version lots of things will vary between this demo, future demos, and the final game.
  • Only the conversational puzzles part of the game appear in this demo, environmental puzzles will be showed in future ones.
  • Items, puzzles and characters will change in the future.
  • You will be able to customize your controls in the future.
  • The game adapts to the resolution of your desktop, up to 1920X1080 and 16:9.
  • The game works better on new computers, but older computers also play fine, with the only change being the FPS. The problems that can occur with this are the text going slower (and even pressing the button so the text goes faster will not work in that case), and that you can break through some objects in a big jump of FPS. We recommend for Mac users to close all the programs before playing.
  • The inventory of this demo is very straitghtforward (get an object and use it), but the final game will have a managable inventory typical of other adventure games.
  • Cherry will have improved walking animations and also standing and iddle ones. We will also add animations to the NPC's and objects in the scenery.
  • Some of the background scenery will also be redrawn.
  • You can encounter some bugs.

Paz

Game is looking great! Alpha build access is a cool bonus in my opinion and certainly incentivizes early preordering. Would you plan on collecting user feedback from the alpha and then potentially adjust how the final build plays based on the feedback? That's one approach worth considering, anyway.

Getting direct player feedback well before the game is finished is quite useful, so we would definitely want to open up a forum for alpha players and hear all their thoughts.

Wow, that looks awesome -- is that your own engine?

We're using the Unity engine, but all of the art/shaders etc are created by one guy named Tim who is incredibly talented. He actually just got his GAF membership approved here and is probably stalking this thread, HI TIM!

Speaking as a consumer for a moment: I would definitely preorder / pay early access for your game if it was the minecraft model of cheaper before release rather than the kickstarter model of more expensive for early access.

I'll be buying it either way. But I'd definitely pay before it was done to play it early.

Interesting, I'll take that in to consideration. I definitely think early supporters should benefit the most, pre-orders in particular need to be valuable since we are in a digital age and stock is a non-issue.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
With XNA dead... should I continue learning it? (I know about Mono!). Or should I learn to work with Unity? I really want to make this a small hobby (no dreams of grandeur!) so I am interested in learning something that I can use now and in the short-term.

With XNA dead... should I continue learning it? (I know about Mono!). Or should I learn to work with Unity? I really want to make this a small hobby (no dreams of grandeur!) so I am interested in learning something that I can use now and in the short-term.

I find Unity is just fun software to play around with, especially with the variety of things to check out on the asset store. I've never programmed in my life, and was able to experiment with my game design concept within days. It has a great community too. +1 for unity.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is gonna be a real basic question, but my experience generally lies with 3D graphics/games programming so I need a bit of a pointer here.

Best resource for making 2D games? Used XNA once before but I'm not really sure I want to go there again. I already have a good bit of experience in OpenGL and Unity and had considered just going for Unity. The project's a 2D multiplayer shooter (I guess picture Awesomenauts or Terraria on a small scale) to get an idea of where it's gonna be headed.

EDIT: Should probably note I'll go with XNA if it's the best option but I was under the impression they've ceased support?
I swear it's just damn impossible to figure out the best platform to make certain types of game. I'd quite like it to be multi-platform.
Might I suggest Löve2D? It's powerful, fast, awesome, and getting popular in the Indie scene. It is cross-platform OS X, Windows and Linux.

Some popular games that are made with it are Mari0, Mr. Rescue, Concerned Joe and Snayke.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I find Unity is just fun software to play around with, especially with the variety of things to check out on the asset store. I've never programmed in my life, and was able to experiment with my game design concept within days. It has a great community too. +1 for unity.
What i am reading is that it's bad for 2D stuff? I am honestly aiming at 2D games for now :p

rbomber2.gif

Looks solid. Voted you on Greenlight. Wish you luck with this.

Kamaki

Which one looks the best:
KWVomUN.png

KYTk4hu.png

H6XDuEh.png

mPeFXks.png

I personally like four the best. The darker shadows and eyes just help her feel more defined to me.

Currently working on a SHMUP in between applying for jobs, anyone have somewhere for a 3D animator to go let me know!

OJiuVuw.gif

Take a look at my bullet pattern test, basically going to work on getting a real demo level working with a boss and then decide whether to continue from there. Give it a go by clicking here, controls listed at the bottom; let me know what the performance is like on the final stress test giant screen full of bullets.

usea

Currently working on a SHMUP in between applying for jobs, anyone have somewhere for a 3D animator to go let me know!

Take a look at my bullet pattern test, basically going to work on getting a real demo level working with a boss and then decide whether to continue from there. Give it a go by clicking here, controls listed at the bottom; let me know what the performance is like on the final stress test giant screen full of bullets.
The last pattern was the only one that I saw any lag, and it was noticable. Lots of pauses / stuttering rather than a consistent slowdown. It was only using 10% cpu though. (i7 930)

The last pattern was the only one that I saw any lag, and it was noticable. Lots of pauses / stuttering rather than a consistent slowdown. It was only using 10% cpu though. (i7 930)
Same here. Seemed to me like it slowed down consistently every time you instantiated a new "wave" on that last pattern (shocker, right :p).

Kamaki

Same here. Seemed to me like it slowed down consistently every time you instantiated a new "wave" on that last pattern (shocker, right :p).
Yeah seems to be the only place, which I totally expect when I'm spawning close to one hundred bullets everytime! I think it has something to do with the web player to, tried a native .exe and it runs much much smoother but I guess that's to be expected.

Also yeah, gifcam is great for those small .gifs.

rbomber2.gif

Link to your Greenlight?
I'll check it when I get home <3

Jobbs

Banned
thanks for pointing out gifcam. this is the first actually convenient way I've found of making good animated gifs.

ghsnope.gif

"enemies that make you go nope" indie version. :)

EDarkness

Good to see people's stuff. My project is coming along well. I'm tweeking combat and all that and I hope I can have a screenshot in the near future. Lots of cool things coming and I hope my project can match some of the stuff you guys are doing.

Anyone know of a good artist? I can't draw at all. Heh, heh.

pixelpai

Neo Member

rbomber2.gif

whoa.. awesome animation going on there. looks frantic.

Thanks for the kind words.

New gif of our heroes dancing with flowers.

flowers.gif

As I am playing nothing else than Animal Crossing atm, I have immediately been in love with this "rolling world" effect..great stuff.

hi Relix

About XNA, even though is kind of dead, I am still using it, and since Mono is still moving forward not everything is a waste.

About Unity, I am having it in my mind as an option too, but since there are licensing costs if you grow and it can become really expensive if you are a very small studio in the long run, so for now I am keeping XNA till the next big thing is announced. I am trying to find out how to develop for PS4 too, and if Unity is the only option I may jump into it

VVIS

Neo Member
hi Relix

About XNA, even though is kind of dead, I am still using it, and since Mono is still moving forward not everything is a waste.

About Unity, I am having it in my mind as an option too, but since there are licensing costs if you grow and it can become really expensive if you are a very small studio in the long run, so for now I am keeping XNA till the next big thing is announced. I am trying to find out how to develop for PS4 too, and if Unity is the only option I may jump into it

You can do quite a lot with the low-end Unity package, at least enough to make games, learn the tech, and have some fun. It does get expensive if you are running a studio (those update costs sneak up on you), but then you have access to so much very cheap/free stuff that it is worth it.

thanks for pointing out gifcam. this is the first actually convenient way I've found of making good animated gifs.

ghsnope.gif

"enemies that make you go nope" indie version. :)
Really impressive visuals and the gameplay looks straight out of Super Metroid. Any time-frame for a demo? What engine are you using for this? The lightning in particular looks really pretty.

JulianImp

You can do quite a lot with the low-end Unity package, at least enough to make games, learn the tech, and have some fun. It does get expensive if you are running a studio (those update costs sneak up on you), but then you have access to so much very cheap/free stuff that it is worth it.

Actually, as long as you can put up with the "Developed with Unity" splash screen, you should be fine. Unity's free version is incredibly versatile, even without plug-ins or image post-processing support, and you can do many, many kinds of things without having to buy a thing. You should really look into shader coding, since that's something even Unity Free has and which is very important for making your games look good.

You can use the free version to do full projects without any issues or big glaring flaws unless you desperately need some of the features they saved for the pro version, and by the time the "you can't use Unity free if your company makes over $100,000/year" clause comes up, you'll have enough money to pay for the licenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom