• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Another GIF, this time showing off moving the big block darkening to individual blocks - makes it look more appealing when damage will be dealt, etc.

SUxQpLX.gif

And have a logo!

LIAOD1n.png

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
1) Finish game
2) Do one last test with the whole team. Test all features.
3) Upload to Apple
4) Release to the world
5) Detect game breaking bug.
6) ARRGGG

This keeps happening! hehehehe

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
What would be some big gaming forums apart from gaf that we could post about our game?
I just realised I have no idea how to do marketing and get visibility, apart from trying to send out codes to review sites

Dascu

As promised, here's the Greenlight.
Steam Greenlight said:

I'm really thinking about how to handle the crowdfunding aspect. I don't know if it's worth to set up a UK company name and account, so I can launch a Kickstarter. IndieGoGo is a lot easier for mainland Europeans, and I don't need a high sum for the licenses anyway.

Ashodin

What would be some big gaming forums apart from gaf that we could post about our game?
I just realised I have no idea how to do marketing and get visibility, apart from trying to send out codes to review sites

Post on TIGSource, post your game on indiedb, post everywhere indies are allowed to, basically.

Also have another GIF!

Working on the title screen...

eCzbDwE.gif

Steaky

Neo Member
Hey Guys!

I know there's already a word game in this thread, but I figure another couldn't hurt :)

I've been working on mine for a couple months now, and it's finally starting to be in a state I can show off. Hopefully more will come in the next few weeks!

Let me know what you think!!!

CLg4dNr.jpg
3aRRhMl.jpg

Ashodin

Hey Guys!

I know there's already a word game in this thread, but I figure another couldn't hurt :)

I've been working on mine for a couple months now, and it's finally starting to be in a state I can show off. Hopefully more will come in the next few weeks!

CLg4dNr.jpg
3aRRhMl.jpg

Awesome look dude! Just one thing, perhaps give the characters a shadow against the background? they blend into the scenery.

taku

Yes, full-time job. I usually work late nights on my game after my wife goes to bed. I try to not work on it on weekends to give myself a break.

It's HARD! That's why it takes so long to finish. I usually get in the dev hours after GF goes to bed/I have a day off. I make sure I solve one piece of programming puzzle before I end the dev session...

I haven't posted my game in this thread yet, but I have a part time job that pays my life essentials. I do freelance illustration whenever I can to earn extra money, and the remainder of my time goes to illustrating my own game and my graphic novel. Not to mention I do personal studies all the time in order to improve my drawings. Schedule is a bit ridiculous.

See, I feel like it's nigh impossible finding any kind of time to sit down and work on my ideas. However, judging by your answers I realize that I just need to be more stern with my priorities..

Also, Servbot24, show us your game!

Hey Guys!

It's got a nice mix of lovely pixel art accompanied by a minimalistic clean GUI. So I'd say graphic wise, it looks very well balanced!
As already stated, characters need more "pop!" in contrast with the scenery though.

snarge

As I've been following this thread for a while now, a certain ponder has continually been lingering in the back of my noodle..

For the fellow ladies and gents who are working on these wonderous creations on your "free time", do you also have a full time job?
If yes, how do you find the time and motivation to work on your projects in between the constant daily living/work/social routine?

Full time game industry job here. I work in Unity at my day job and on my side projects, so there's some learning / experience crossover that happens. They way I do it is I get up everyday at 6-630am and work for about 2 hours before going into the day job. I try to tackle large goals on the weekend, and spend about 4-6 hours working each weekend day.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
We completely redid the user interface of our game Castaway Paradise. Every option is context sensitive. For example: If you're standing in front of the sea, the game will suggest you use the fishing rod. If you're on farm ground, the game will show you the available crops you have. Usability X1000.

GUI_InGame.png

What do you think?

We completely redid the user interface of our game Castaway Paradise. Every option is context sensitive. For example: If you're standing in front of the sea, the game will suggest you use the fishing rod. If you're on farm ground, the game will show you the available crops you have. Usability X1000.

GUI_InGame.png

What do you think?

I love the ui and the art style. Your game looks very appealing.

I am thinking about making a adventure game similar to The legend of Zelda but with isometric 3d cubes or voxels. I will try to do it from scratch using Java / LWJGL.

I allready have decided about how it will look and how i should code the editors.

And because i have no real 3d models that i need i think i could do this project alone. Maybe if iam at a different stage of development i will look for someone who can make me a good soundtrack.

So far i did the first steps for it by coding the base framework and let it draw a single cube :D

When i have the look i want from it and the editors ready i start thinking about the game itself. But thats still a bit longer away.

Genji

The authors of Chipmunk 2D are in the process of porting their engine over to Unity. They setup a kickstarter (already funded at 5k) here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/howlingmoonsoftware/chipmunk2d-for-unity

Very curious to see how the performance actually compares to the built in Physx engine that Unity uses and how cleanly they can integrate it into the native UI and 3rd party tools.

I've used Box2D for some iOS prototypes in the past, but don't have any experience with Chipmunk. Anyone here use it?

rbanke

Hopefully this is a good place for this question. Just want to get a little input.

I've been working on a 2d persistent multiplayer game for quite a while as a hobby for the most part. It's currently written in C++ using DX8 & Winsock with all the other code being my own (no other libraries/engine). Recently I've wanted to expand the scope a bit and decided to make the game more platform independent, mainly targeting Windows, OS X, & Linux and decided that this might be a good time to move over to C# & MonoGame which I've heard a lot of great things about, but the more I learn about it, the more I think I may be mistaken. I don't need most(any?) of the XNA features that it's mainly for and am now it seems that Mono may be the better route for me but I know very little about Mono still so I'm not sure.

I suppose this all boils down to:
-Is MonoGame just a derivative of Mono?
-Am I mistaken in thinking Mono is basically portable C#?
-Is MonoGame still better to use if its networking & pipeline stuff won't be required?

I may as well mention that I was also considering remaining with C++ and just moving to SDL & OpenGL but figured C# would end up allowing me to get things done much faster with probably less bugs in the long run.

The authors of Chipmunk 2D are in the process of porting their engine over to Unity. They setup a kickstarter (already funded at 5k) here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/howlingmoonsoftware/chipmunk2d-for-unity

Very curious to see how the performance actually compares to the built in Physx engine that Unity uses and how cleanly they can integrate it into the native UI and 3rd party tools.

I've used Box2D for some iOS prototypes in the past, but don't have any experience with Chipmunk. Anyone here use it?

I've used it. It's a pretty by the numbers 2D rigid body physics engine. Haven't used Box2D but can't imagine too much creativity on that area. You have shapes (boundaries, trigger collisions) and bodies (mass, velocity, etc.) and lots of types of joints.

hoverX

-Is MonoGame still better to use if its networking & pipeline stuff won't be required?

I may as well mention that I was also considering remaining with C++ and just moving to SDL & OpenGL but figured C# would end up allowing me to get things done much faster with probably less bugs in the long run.

Monogame is an open source version of XNA using the Mono framework instead of .net
Mono is comparable to the .net framework not C#. C# is the language .net/mono is the framework the language uses.
I've never used MonoGame but I really like C#. I find it way easier than C++

That sounds fantastic -- it's always a bit of a drag in games like Animal Crossing when you have to fiddle around in menus to swap equipment.

Hopefully this is a good place for this question. Just want to get a little input.

I've been working on a 2d persistent multiplayer game for quite a while as a hobby for the most part. It's currently written in C++ using DX8 & Winsock with all the other code being my own (no other libraries/engine). Recently I've wanted to expand the scope a bit and decided to make the game more platform independent, mainly targeting Windows, OS X, & Linux and decided that this might be a good time to move over to C# & MonoGame which I've heard a lot of great things about, but the more I learn about it, the more I think I may be mistaken. I don't need most(any?) of the XNA features that it's mainly for and am now it seems that Mono may be the better route for me but I know very little about Mono still so I'm not sure.

Mono is an open source implementation of the .NET Framework, so yeah, it's basically C# that can be run on non-Microsoft platforms.

MonoGame is an open source implementation of the XNA API that can run on top of .NET or Mono. I don't think it has any affiliation with the Mono project outside of that. I'm not really familiar with DirectX but I think MonoGame is a higher-level framework than what you're working with now, so you may be giving up some control in exchange for an easier API to work with.

If you want to switch to C# but stay a bit lower level than MonoGame, you might want to check out http://www.opentk.com/ which wraps OpenGL, OpenCL, and OpenAL and is cross-platform.

rbanke

Monogame is an open source version of XNA using the Mono framework instead of .net
Mono is comparable to the .net framework not C#. C# is the language .net/mono is the framework the language uses.
I've never used MonoGame but I really like C#. I find it way easier than C++

Ok, that clears it up some stuff, thanks

That sounds fantastic -- it's always a bit of a drag in games like Animal Crossing when you have to fiddle around in menus to swap equipment.

Mono is an open source implementation of the .NET Framework, so yeah, it's basically C# that can be run on non-Microsoft platforms.

MonoGame is an open source implementation of the XNA API that can run on top of .NET or Mono. I don't think it has any affiliation with the Mono project outside of that. I'm not really familiar with DirectX but I think MonoGame is a higher-level framework than what you're working with now, so you may be giving up some control in exchange for an easier API to work with.

If you want to switch to C# but stay a bit lower level than MonoGame, you might want to check out http://www.opentk.com/ which wraps OpenGL, OpenCL, and OpenAL and is cross-platform.

Thank you, I'll look into opentk.

fin

Uber huge SSS

You see two new power ups in this screen shot. One speeds up a clone the other slows it down.

This game is getting dangerously close to being a reality. It's gonna be my first game I'm going to sell. Gonna be talking to lawyers and accountants soon. Need to think of a company name...

GUI_InGame.png

What do you think?

I think that I want to play it.

b0b

Neo Member

how far are you with your game? I mean is it just a testing ground, is it playable? how much code is it? is it worth it to completely rewrite it? are you happy with your code quality so far?

i've ported some codebases from win dx8/9 to sdl, opengl etc. - it's not that difficult; especially if you wrote the code yourself.

btw
the mentioned opentk had it last stable release in 2010. the last nightly build is from beginning of 2012. one single file in trunk was changed in january 2013 while the rest remains from 2009-11. i would say it's nearly "dead".

Steaky

Neo Member
My thought too. That pixel art is really going to look great once it pops more.

I've gotten lots of positive response about my art, which is a bit of relief. I couldn't get an artist collaborator despite multiple tries, so I ended up needing to doing it myself.

I don't really consider myself an artist, but I'm super happy with how it turned out :)

fin

Can anyone check screenshot saturday on twitter. I don't see my screen shot. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm @TravisFincaryk on twitter I'm some what new at this...

Genji

I've used it. It's a pretty by the numbers 2D rigid body physics engine. Haven't used Box2D but can't imagine too much creativity on that area. You have shapes (boundaries, trigger collisions) and bodies (mass, velocity, etc.) and lots of types of joints.

Thanks for the feedback. I went through some of the documentation on their main site and it looks as expected. Will likely hold off on picking it up/backing it until there's more feedback on how well it's integrated.

hoverX

Damn. Just decided to give up on Molyjam. I was going to make something using SpriteKit on osx 10.9 but Can even get an Apple provided spritekit demo app to run on the VM i've installed Mavericks on.

Raonak

Banned
Decided to bite the bullet on game maker studio and start coding up the devil may cry inspired 2D action game.

in a week, i've done a lot of progress. quite liking it. movement, blocking, dashing, got the basic attacks working(including launching), combo system, jumping, enemy reactions, even the style bar is working now! (though still needs to be adjusted)

Once the combat system is finished fully, i'll have to really think about what kind of game I want it to be...
Im thinking it's gonna be an actionRPG, but with a demons souls style levels (ie; 5 worlds, can be tackled in any order, each world has 3 levels)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Can anyone check screenshot saturday on twitter. I don't see my screen shot. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm @TravisFincaryk on twitter I'm some what new at this...

I see it! It's not embedded in Twitter but the link works fine.

rbanke

how far are you with your game? I mean is it just a testing ground, is it playable? how much code is it? is it worth it to completely rewrite it? are you happy with your code quality so far?

i've ported some codebases from win dx8/9 to sdl, opengl etc. - it's not that difficult; especially if you wrote the code yourself.

btw
the mentioned opentk had it last stable release in 2010. the last nightly build is from beginning of 2012. one single file in trunk was changed in january 2013 while the rest remains from 2009-11. i would say it's nearly "dead".

It's the client that this all concerns and the game is very barebones as it is. The only functionality is the rendering engine w/ gui, chat system, player & object movement and some other small interactions but not a lot I would call gameplay. Basically people can walk around, talk move things around, pick them up but not a whole lot else. Being that this is a project I started to learn about many of the things a game like this does, the code is pretty poorly designed which makes it difficult to work with so I'd like to start over and do much of it in a smarter way. It's not so much code that I'd feel overwhelmed doing a total rewrite.

I may do some tests with SDL and see what kind of workflow I can come up with for multiple platforms while I'm exploring the options. Along the C# lines, any other suggestions for multiple platforms outside of what's been mentioned?

Finally, made some more time to post some more animations of my puzzle game in gif form.

Pirate_zpsb31d13de.gif
CatIdle_zps0bfb1baa.gif
CatTurn_zps5a699c84.gif

Actually the animations run at 60 FPS, but I am not sure how to speed up the GIF capture tool so they are running very slow... except for the last one.

Also here is a sample of the palette color replacement for one of the characters.
Kats_zps4e7d2eec.jpg

You can read more details on my blog.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Another GIF, this time showing off moving the big block darkening to individual blocks - makes it look more appealing when damage will be dealt, etc.

SUxQpLX.gif

And have a logo!

LIAOD1n.png

Hey Guys!

CLg4dNr.jpg
3aRRhMl.jpg

two competing word smiting games?!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Then they should have a word with eachother!

Word yo.

Anyway, I've been toying around with Stencyl a bit the last few days and I've got to say, it's probably my favorite game editor so far. Pre-installed behaviors are pretty nice and the visual programming part feels really easy to understand. After struggling with game maker, mmf2, construct and others, not really finding anything to my liking, I'm positively pleased with Stencyl so far. Might buy it if I get far enough into building a game, but the free version is more than enough for my current needs.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Decided to bite the bullet on game maker studio and start coding up the devil may cry inspired 2D action game.

in a week, i've done a lot of progress. quite liking it. movement, blocking, dashing, got the basic attacks working(including launching), combo system, jumping, enemy reactions, even the style bar is working now! (though still needs to be adjusted)

Once the combat system is finished fully, i'll have to really think about what kind of game I want it to be...
Im thinking it's gonna be an actionRPG, but with a demons souls style levels (ie; 5 worlds, can be tackled in any order, each world has 3 levels)

I really love GM Studio. It's perfect for folks like myself who don't have time to delve deep into a more involved language.

JulianImp

Then they should have a word with eachother!

... Ahem

Just got into this gif crazyness too with GifCam (Like they would say in my country: "Estrenando GifCam") so I made a gif of a newly created power for my shmup.

Behold, the Nova Shot!

That sure looks nice! I think you should consider moving the laser's effect to the background, though, since it currently doesn't let you see the enemies that are underneath it. At best, the player misses out on the death particles, and at worst, an enemy that can actually survive that laser (ie: an indestructible object or a boss) might crash into the player without her knowing.

I made some progress with the menu screens for a game that'll be up for public display in early August. It's actually a really short game I made during a local Game Jam that I've mentioned in the past, and I've been asked by someone to polish it so that it can be displayed at that exposition.

Once that's done, or during stretches of time when it's literally impossible for me to keep working on the jam project, I'll get back to my main one. Hopefully, we'll have something worth showing soon.

Miutsu

Nice effects. Digging the color palette!

Thanks!

That sure looks nice! I think you should consider moving the laser's effect to the background, though, since it currently doesn't let you see the enemies that are underneath it. At best, the player misses out on the death particles, and at worst, an enemy that can actually survive that laser (ie: an indestructible object or a boss) might crash into the player without her knowing.

I made some progress with the menu screens for a game that'll be up for public display in early August. It's actually a really short game I made during a local Game Jam that I've mentioned in the past, and I've been asked by someone to polish it so that it can be displayed at that exposition.

Yeah, I noticed that after using/testing it for a while, not only you dont see the enemies but also in the level there are solid structures that you can colide with and the laser also hides them, so I will place the laser behind those elements just as you said.

Also, you were from Argentina right? is it a local event? here we only have some anime events a year but I think there aren't that many game devs in the city, so we don't have public showings over here, would love that thought.

JulianImp

Also, you were from Argentina right? is it a local event? here we only have some anime events a year but I think there aren't that many game devs in the city, so we don't have public showings over here, would love that thought.

Yeah, I'm from Argentina. It was a very small local game jam that happened some months ago. The game's going to be exposed at an art games exposition that'll be held in Cordoba for a week starting on August 6th. It's been an amazing chance for me, since I still haven't gotten any kind of public exposition yet.

Still, I want to get my personal project done, so once I'm done with this game I'll go back to it immediately. I really got to finish a full, polished game (even if it's short) so I can build a reputation for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom