• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Having some people test my game on testflight this week. Hoping there are no horrible bugs. In the meantime I'm finishing up some music.

cbox

It's been a while since I posted in this thread, our game is coming along slowly but surely. In the time that we've been bug testing and ironing out the mechanics, I started relearning 3d after not touching it for 8 years. Started with Blender 3d and I think I can get used to this :D

3giIuDH.png

and 20 minutes later

JuiCCKq.jpg

missile

h5bYrfP.gif

Variable mass implement. Watch the center of mass (white dot), it's moving!
That's something you won't see in many game physics engine. Currently, this
change in mass is only reflected within the linear momentum equation. The
angular equation is still pending.

The rocket has two stages. The weight of the first stage (the one lowest to
the ground) has two times the weight of the second stage and consist of about
90% of fuel. Once the nozzle ignites, fuel burns at a given rate pushing the
rocket upwards while reducing the weight of the first stage and as such the
weight of the entire rocket. At burn-out time the nozzle's thrust direction,
indicated at the tail of the rocket, turns fully black. At this point the
center of mass of the rocket has shifted to the upper more heavier second
stage of the rocket.

Edit: At burn-out the rocket still has some upward momentum and as such will
move a lil further until the acceleration due to gravity becomes the dominant
force pulling the rocket back down to earth.

BlueMagic

I made the stupidest thing for molyjam: http://www.molyjam.com/games/203
I didn't have a lot of time because I had to take care of a couple of things this weekend, so that was my best choice if I wanted to finish something. Also a great portion of that time was doing the html/css and javascript since I'd barely done anything with that before. With rails I had some experience so it was mostly remembering how it worked and doing what I intended. It was going to be more complex but I didn't have the time so I just released it like that. It was my first time doing anything for a jam. Feels satisfying, as small and stupid as it was. I entered the first story and soon after I got a tweet from the reader haha.

Gonna keep working on my game now I guess.

edit:
that looks awesome, missile.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
We've done away with textures for most of our user interface. We're using either meshes with a colored texture or completely vertex colored meshes like this one:

Gems.png

It's identical to the 2d concept :)

missile

Despite I didn't have angular momentum implemented just yet, i.e. the rocket
won't rotate nor experience any rotational acceleration, I can, nevertheless,
move the rocket around like a particle.

So I made an experiment.

You may have recognized that some games do incorporate, for example, fuel
consumption esp. those who are based on physical simulations. How does this
contrast with what I'm doing here? Well, if you look closely on said
simulations you will recognize that your vehicle (car, aircraft, rocket,
whatever) indeed consumes fuel, and the weight indicator indeed shows this.
But you won't perhaps experience any change in dynamics due to the change in
weight of the consumed fuel. However, one can fake a lot, for example, one
can tweak for a higher velocity depending on the consumed fuel. But what won't
change is the dynamics of the physical object that depends on its weight and
its weight distribution.

The following two animations demonstrate this for the linear momentum equation
(just the acceleration of the rocket without any rotation). In both animation
fuel consumption is provided, but only in the latter animation is the effect
of change of weight incorporated into the linear momentum equation, leading
to a way different path for the rocket.

This effect will become even more pronounced once I have the angular momentum
equation implemented. If you consider the thrust vector of the nozzle and if
you imagine that this vector will rotate about the center of mass of the
rocket, then you may imagine how differently the path of the rocket may become
if the center of mass changes position, and as such make the nozzle rotate and
accelerated way differently compared to if one ignores the change in weight/
mass
-- which remains to be proven

rv9owWo.gif

Fuel consumption, but with no consequences on the weight of the rocket.

kWkB0qS.gif

Fuel consumption with fully incorporated change in weight for the rocket.

It's my goal to make this as realistic and cool as possible. Once the angular
momentum equation is implemented the way I want it to be, the dynamics of the
rocket will be very unique. One may build a small game out of it. What about
kind of a game like Worms, but with the new physics of the rockets and in 3D,
throwing cool rockets over the landscape? Might be fun.

missile

^ Thanks a lot.
So much work ahead of me. I have spent the last month just on paper to derive
all the equations and to actually think about how it all should fit altogether.
It's never ending, and it never goes to sleep.

Well, Shikoku, you know what? Your trailer really rocks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LshsWy9kfh0&feature=youtu.be
It's frightening looking at it, at the difficulty lurking in the depth. I
think some people will break their iPad in sheer desperation playing your
game. :+ xD

But tell me, where did you got the music from, esp. the first 17 seconds? Did
you made it yourself? Sounds awesome. Quite my style. Am actually looking for
someone who can program such sounds for a game of mine. Different story.

elohel

has anyone here used the new APIs for ios7? just curious what their experience has been like thus far with all that

Ashodin

^ Thanks a lot.

Sounds like tron, holy shieeeet. Lol

Today should be the first implementations of the dictionary. I'm going to fanagle it somehow!

XbZgdb6.gif

Just one of many GIFs for you today.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
^ Thanks a lot.

Thanks mate. I made the music myself. The first music in the trailer I did in GarageBand, and the second one was me just fiddling away with Figure while riding the train to work haha.

On the topic of my game, I don't suppose anyone here would have an iPad 1 or iPhone 3GS that would like to help me test my game? It's really hard to find people who have these, and I haven't tested the game on them. Also, if anyone with another iDevice wants to test and thinks they could give some good feedback, you would be welcome too.

I have a testflight account set up here: http://tflig.ht/1bhSp5w

Metal-Geo

We've done away with textures for most of our user interface. We're using either meshes with a colored texture or completely vertex colored meshes like this one:

Gems.png

Whoa, looks great! And it also scales much better than a texture, obviously. Really cool.

Loving the way your game is looking too! Very charming. :)

Chris_C

I've been fooling around with Construct 2, and it's a lovely tool for those who just have no programming ability like myself. I was hoping to use it to make a dialogue heavy Star Trek Bridge Commander-esque game, but I should probably start with something a lot simpler. Are we allowed to post 1 page design docs? I think it'd be interesting to document the process.

Also, really, if there are any good programmers out there looking to hook up with a decent artist for a Next-Generation inspired adventure game, please get in touch :)

Duderino

Have a little catching up to do in this thread after being gone for the holiday weekend. To recap:

Posted our first screenshots today of Air Dash Online's early build.

screenshot15lsim.jpg

screenshot24usw7.jpg

That looks really good! Congrats on your work!

Wow, looks great. Good work.

Duderino, those screen shots totally reminds me of Smash Bros. I love those games.
Thanks for the compliments everyone! We are indeed making a Smash inspired fighter, more specifically one that plays at a pace closer to high-level Melee.

Looks great. Reminds me of the awesome old 3dfx demo.
juytpek1jv7rre1s7y.jpg
Certainly some similarities with the character reflections and parts of the color palette. Of course technically there is a lot we can accomplish now that wasn't possible back then :).

Pretty good! Can't wait seeing some non-stationary images. ;) Btw; I once
asked you how long do you need for modeling such characters on average...?
I budget roughly around 3 to 5 weeks. Depends largely on the complexity of the character. Tesla took a bit longer than a month, but that was in part because I was also working on a number of other tasks.

It's also good to budget for an extra few days for each character later down the road to give that final coat of polish and fix any technical problems. On Dance Central 3 for instance, once we had the majority of the cast completed, we spent time making sure the characters' texturing was consistent, did an optimization pass, and made some corrections to geometry that was conflicting with animations. That last 10% can add up to a considerable amount of work, especially if you're working with multiple short-term contract artists or going the outsourcing route.

Hey, look, I made my very first .GIF! Yay! (56k warning: It's like 3.4 MB)
TCAEGIF.gif

Very cool to see the hard work you've put into the technical process come together!

Gems.png

I'm always a fan of this and have been considering it for my own projects since I use alot of triangles in my art... any tips or tools worth using?

Jobbs

Banned
Here's some drawings I did for the human characters of ghost song, because I'm about to work on the part of the game where they appear. It'll take me a while to do the game art and all the animations for them, but hey, it always does.

Charley:

chargs-bst.png

Pasha:

pashags.png

Saymund:

saymundgs.png

My Generations beta app was accepted by apple about 3 hours ago, really happy that after two years my efforts are now official.

It's not going on sale right now but this means I can start to beta test with promo codes to give out, I may update with a patch first as it really is only 3 areas and a 20% made cave area where you can fall out of the map!

My Generations beta app was accepted by apple about 3 hours ago, really happy that after two years my efforts are now official.

It's not going on sale right now but this means I can start to beta test with promo codes to give out, I may update with a patch first as it really is only 3 areas and a 20% made cave area where you can fall out of the map!

Following your progress in this thread. Count me in!

BTW great looking stuff everyone, been a little unactive here over the last week or two but the last few pages are full of good stuff :D

Raonak

Banned
Progress has been blazing on my DMC-RPG hybrid. Still not sure of a good name...

got enemy attacks, damage, hit sparks, and even parrying perfectly implemented. tapping the block button at the exact time the enemy attacks causes you to perfectly parry their attack, and give the style meter a big boost.
I also implemented the snatcher. which is straight out of DMC4. basically pulls your nearest enemy to you, somewhat essential in keeping the style meter high, since it means you don't have to waste time running to the enemy, it also allows you to attack one enemy, and quickly snatch another one, then do a combo attack hitting both.

The hit sparks and damage number make the combat so much more satisfying.
Im still working on how the RPG mechanics will come together. Im thinking of using 4 stats: attack, defence, magic and spirit. attack is the power of your primary weapon (i call it the redband), defence is your normal defence, if you're blocking, defence is doubled, magic is your magic attack power - later in the game you'll get magic attacks which uses this stat, and also you'll obtain "elemental sub-weapons" (like a thunder whip) which use half attack and half magic for their base damage.
sprit is essentially your magic defence. sprit does not double when you're blocking. but you can still parry magic attacks if you're good enough (im planning to make it so that every attack in the game will be parry-able)

While im working on this, im reading the DMC3 mechanics guide i found on gamefaqs by Dahbomb, a legend of dmc-gaf.
made me realise that all DMC3 attacks were cancellable. So i implemented that as well. even in the middle of an attack, you can cancel it by blocking, or with another attack, this allows the freeflowing combat system that DMC is famous for.

some quick screens. showing the hitsparks and damage numbers, parrying, and the snatcher.

For attacks - I've got 3 different slash combos, a stinger, a launcher, and an aerial attack. Im gonna be now implementing a super attack (performed by attacking while blocking, sorta like how GOW does it) and an attack based off DMC's round trip. Where the hero throws his sword and it spins around the enemy continously attacking them. (and by extension, continously increases the style meter)

speaking of style meter, I've settled on that the style meter will basically give you bonus EXP the higher the style meter is upon the death of the enemy. and possibly higher drop rates(when i implement enemy drops)

Ashodin

Progress has been blazing on my DMC-RPG hybrid. Still not sure of a good name...

got enemy attacks, damage, hit sparks, and even parrying perfectly implemented. tapping the block button at the exact time the enemy attacks causes you to perfectly parry their attack, and give the style meter a big boost.
I also implemented the snatcher. which is straight out of DMC4. basically pulls your nearest enemy to you, somewhat essential in keeping the style meter high, since it means you don't have to waste time running to the enemy, it also allows you to attack one enemy, and quickly snatch another one, then do a combo attack hitting both.

The hit sparks and damage number make the combat so much more satisfying.
Im still working on how the RPG mechanics will come together. Im thinking of using 4 stats: attack, defence, magic and spirit. attack is the power of your primary weapon (i call it the redband), defence is your normal defence, if you're blocking, defence is doubled, magic is your magic attack power - later in the game you'll get magic attacks which uses this stat, and also you'll obtain "elemental sub-weapons" (like a thunder whip) which use half attack and half magic for their base damage.
sprit is essentially your magic defence. sprit does not double when you're blocking. but you can still parry magic attacks if you're good enough (im planning to make it so that every attack in the game will be parry-able)

While im working on this, im reading the DMC3 mechanics guide i found on gamefaqs by Dahbomb, a legend of dmc-gaf.
made me realise that all DMC3 attacks were cancellable. So i implemented that as well. even in the middle of an attack, you can cancel it by blocking, or with another attack, this allows the freeflowing combat system that DMC is famous for.

some quick screens. showing the hitsparks and damage numbers, parrying, and the snatcher.

For attacks - I've got 3 different slash combos, a stinger, a launcher, and an aerial attack. Im gonna be now implementing a super attack (performed by attacking while blocking, sorta like how GOW does it) and an attack based off DMC's round trip. Where the hero throws his sword and it spins around the enemy continously attacking them. (and by extension, continously increases the style meter)

speaking of style meter, I've settled on that the style meter will basically give you bonus EXP the higher the style meter is upon the death of the enemy. and possibly higher drop rates(when i implement enemy drops)

"Pixel May Cry"

Posted from a thread I made:

Hey guys, my buddies and I are currently gearing up to make our first mobile game. I am the project leader/designer/artist, and my friends are programmers among some other technical things they do. So far we have about four, maybe five people, on board. We could use some more help if interested. Programming knowledge, artists, however you feel can contribute. I also have a friend who recently got a job at SEGA as a programmer. Great for him, but kind of a bummer, because he would have been a great asset on the team.

We are located in Vancouver by the way, but the best thing about this is you can do it from anywhere! Hit me up if interested, and thanks.

Here's some drawings I did for the human characters of ghost song, because I'm about to work on the part of the game where they appear. It'll take me a while to do the game art and all the animations for them, but hey, it always does.

I'm really, really liking the character artwork here. The designs are fantastic.

Can't wait to finally see it in person!

I pop in here from time to time, I'm working on a game called "Treachery in Beatdown City" for Playstation Mobile (and PC, eventually).

So there's an Indie Showcase at EVO this weekend which I'm going to be a part of. They only posted the first part of the story so far on shoryuken about the returning champion games - here. A lot of cool games there though otherwise. Hell even NYU's bringing the indie magic.

Hopefully the next story goes up tomorrow (today?). Really excited to show my game to the EVO folks and get some feed back on the fighting mechanics. We're balancing them as I write this.

Also I wrote a fairly in depth post about the fighting element to my game - here.

After EVO I'm calling it quits on traveling for a bit and hunkering down. We just came back from E3 which was awesome because Sony had us in their booth and I didn't think a month between would feel like such a short amount of time.

It's been a little over a year since I left my AAA job at Rockstar games, so it's been a crazy year and crazier few months.

Raonak

Banned
So what do you guys think about kickstarter? any of you used it?

---

Also. anyone know good programs to make your own 8bit music?
chiptunes and whatnot? Im good at coding, and can make some decent graphics, but music is my weakness- as i've never really tried to work on any.

---

"Pixel May Cry"

heh. I sorta wanna shy away from making it too obvious that it's heavily inspired by DMC, combat-wise. Kinda scared capcom might get legal on me, though i dout thats likely, especially since they've rebooted DMC anyway.

plus, I googled it and the name already exists for another pixel based DMC clone. and it looks fucking good... seems to be inactive though. I think it's the dynamic camera zooming that makes it look really action packed. Might start implementing that in mine.

missile

SEGA, Rockstar Games ... what does it mean?

Posted from a thread I made:

Hey guys, my buddies and I are currently gearing up to make our first mobile game. I am the project leader/designer/artist, and my friends are programmers among some other technical things they do. So far we have about four, maybe five people, on board. We could use some more help if interested. Programming knowledge, artists, however you feel can contribute. I also have a friend who recently got a job at SEGA as a programmer. Great for him, but kind of a bummer, because he would have been a great asset on the team.

We are located in Vancouver by the way, but the best thing about this is you can do it from anywhere! Hit me up if interested, and thanks.
If you want to buy some good rockets, hit me up. ;)

@Duderino: Thx for the information.

So what do you guys think about kickstarter? any of you used it?

---

We used indiegogo and its one of the worst experiences ever, we wasted our time we could have used making the game, and they treated us like shit, and I don't mean about not getting the money, but that they give us lots of problems during the campaign (couldn't resolve the problem that most people couldn't pay with a credit card, they closed our campaign one day because they created a new TOS that week, and even though it was not really the same thing they said, the didn't answer some of the emails we send, etc...). The only good thing about doing it is having all the media talking about the game, and they treated us really well, and we are really happy about this, and also the audience trying the demo and liking it giving us their opinion, something that makes us have even more strength for finishing our game.
We also received tons of emails asking why we were doing it in indiegogo and not kickstater (we are from Spain so the only option was indiegogo), that they couldnt pay us because of the system indiegogo uses when using fixed funding, and that in kickstater we would have probably get the funds for it becuase theres a more larger audience (there's basically none in indiegogo, people come only because they know about your project form other parts).
So about kickstater, if you think your idea will really attract the audience go for it, but you need to be careful and know beforehand that during the whole campaign you will nearly stop creating the game and you will have to use a lot of time in creating a really good pitch page and making an update every two or three days to get people interested.

Posted our first screenshots today of Air Dash Online's early build.

Our programmers, animators, and designers will be working hard this week to prep the game to show at EVO. After retooling our foundation a few weeks ago, it might be a little more along the lines of a proof of concept than a full fledged fighter at this point, but we'll bring it regardless.

screenshot15lsim.jpg

screenshot24usw7.jpg

For those of you catching up, the game is built in Unity3d. I'm responsible for the all the dynamic lighting, shader programming, and now this environment. There's also a second character I built, but we'll see if he makes it in time for our EVO.

OHH a fighter built in Unity? Can't wait to see how it plays ! How long have you been working with unity?

Limanima

Guys, I need some help.
Is there anyone here from Brazil or India that owns a Windows Phone? I've released a game on this platform and the top downloads are from US, India and Brazil. But I'm finding it strange that the game didn't sold a single copy in neither Brazil or India. I'm fearing there might be some kind of problem in this markets. But on the other hand it might be normal. I'm just trying to troubleshoot this.

Thanks!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm trying to implement an entirely custom rendering pipeline in Unity.

I want to have dynamic global illumination. I'm working on an implementing one of the Dachsbacher papers, for single bounce indirect lighting (high and low frequency).

After yonks and yonks of painful shader debugging I've gotten this far:

mvTFUWK.png

It's obviously not quite right - the influence of reflected light from the floor is rather overwhelming compared to the walls - but it's the 'most right' I've got it so far.

My question - does anyone know if anyone is trying to do similar, or already has done? I've tried to find an off-the-shelf solution in vain. It would save a lot of hassle if there was something out there working and tested.

Ashodin

The setup of the dictionary is becoming very worrisome. I'm looking for plugins and things I can do instead of just entering EVERY single word by myself. I might have to, though.

Jobbs

Banned
Found a junk heap. Or maybe it's some kind of pack rat's lair..

trap2.gif

I also made another gif that demonstrates combat against a different type of enemy than I've shown before. I think it's probably too big to embed so I'm just linkin it:

http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/tdroid.gif

There aren't a lot of mecha/droids in my game, only those leftovers from various expeditions to this dangerous world through time. Things always seem to end the same with those.

Ashodin

trap2.gif

I also made another gif that demonstrates combat against a different type of enemy than I've shown before. I think it's probably too big to embed so I'm just linkin it:

There aren't a lot of mecha/droids in my game, only those leftovers from various expeditions to this dangerous world through time. Things always seem to end the same with those.
Hot GIFs man, you make the people cry who view this thread thinking it will come to their desired platform of choice ;)

While working on the dictionary problem, I got some more music for you guys today!

https://soundcloud.com/ashodin/apexicon-map-story-wip-music

Check it out, let me know what you think!

Jobbs

Banned
Hot GIFs man, you make the people cry who view this thread thinking it will come to their desired platform of choice ;)

Thank you, regarding platform of choice -- Believe me, I struggle with this conflict endlessly. The scope of the game, what it was, what it's become, where it's going. Its origins were as a smaller metroid-style game meant to be flashy and cool on flash portals. But the scope of the game grew immensely over time as I worked on it and got a firmer sense of what it is and what it's about.

I'd love to bring it to consoles. It'd involve a unity port (time and money, because I'd need to bring my programming friend on who knows unity) and then whatever steps necessary to get onto each platform. It'd definitely be rad, but I need to figure out how to make all that happen. Remember that despite my dreams and aspirations for this game, I am an unknown indie developer who has only done small games and prototypes before this.

Anyway, it's not out of the question, and I have that strong desire. Just a matter of figuring out a way.

I LOVE this track. The instrumentation on the strings is fantastic...it sort of brings back FFT/FFTA vibes. Rad.
^

Ashodin

I LOVE this track. The instrumentation on the strings is fantastic...it sort of brings back FFT/FFTA vibes. Rad.

That's what I'm going for, really. Since the game is more tactical than an RPG with your wordplay, I want it to feel similar.

Jobbs

Banned
Reminds me on my Amiga somehow. :+ What will the music be?

Amiga, really? I never had or used one, so if there's something Amiga-esque about the game it's purely by coincidence. :)

Music is kind of electronic, kinda pulp sci fi, like that of mass effect -- But it's highly ambient and somewhat sparse. A lot of the music is contextual or event based rather than just blaring on a loop all the time.

ctothej

trap2.gif

Damn. This gif just sold me on the entire game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom