• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five

Banned
Should do. I'll reboot in Windows and take a look at it shortly.

edit: It works. I'll take a look at it in a minute.

edit 2: you're trying to kill the enemies when hp == 0, but sometimes hp < 0. If more than one bullet is on an enemy, it could bring the hp down to -1 or -2, and then further in later frames. You need to check if (hp <= 0)

missile

That looks rad. I want to play around with rockets. ...
Wait until the wings are ready! :D

In preparation for the wings, i.e. computing lift an drag, I try to come up
with some simple drag formula for the rocket depending on its geometry to
a certain degree making the motion of the rocket even more natural.

Should do. I'll reboot in Windows and take a look at it shortly.

edit: It works. I'll take a look at it in a minute.

edit 2: you're trying to kill the enemies when hp == 0, but sometimes hp < 0. If more than one bullet is on an enemy, it could bring the hp down to -1 or -2, and then further in later frames. You need to check if (hp <= 0)

That did the trick! Thank you!

So I was wondering,

As of now I have close to zero real experience with programming, I only know the basics.
Is there however a way to still develop some games? Even if they are a little bit easy in mechanics?

Personally I've heard GameMaker might do it, but is there anything else out there?

Trust me, you won't make any real progress if this is your approach. You'll be filled with ideas that never get off the ground. 3 weeks ago, I knew next to nothing about C# and had enough 3D modeling experience to put a thin cone on a flat cylinder and call it a thumbtack--now I'm continually learning more and making progress day by day. Research the game engines outlined in this thread, select a programming language to roll with, and READ, READ, and READ some more. You'll thank yourself later when you have a working prototype.

I honestly don't know why it took me so long to buckle down, start learning, and actually create something... but in the 3 weeks since I discovered Unity, I haven't been happier that I finally decided to give this all a shot. Unity and Blender have great documentation and communities full of answers, so it didn't take long to put myself on the right track.

Now I'm building the physics-based BMX sim I've always wanted to play. The physics/controls are maybe 85% finished. I spent most of yesterday afternoon getting the airborne rotation to look and feel natural.

A couple gameplay videos so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmNCx9fZAQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2XKDcCy86s

The game employs dual-analog controls much like EA's Skate franchise, with the Right stick's Y axis controlling the bike's pitch (for manuals, nose manuals, bunnyhops, back flips, front flips, etc.) and its X axis controlling roll (for leaning the bike left and right), whereas the Left stick's X axis controls steering when the bike is on the ground and spinning (180s, 360s, etc) when airborne. So, if you wanted to attempt a 360 backflip, you'd hold the right stick down and the left stick to one side or the other when launching off a ramp.

I'm simulating the yet-to-be-modeled rider (or his weight, rather) with a set of dynamic centers of gravity that are called one at a time based upon certain conditions--mostly bike position and some collision factors--and the player's input on the sticks can move the current center of gravity within a predetermined range. The player's input simultaneously accounts for the forces the rider would be exerting on the bike, so balancing those forces with the stick's influence on the center of gravity was paramount to getting the bike to move naturally in all of its possible states (airborne being just one of the states I'm checking for).

I think I picked a very involved project to cut my teeth on, and at times it feels I'm in over my head, but it's been a great experience so far. As there's no real market for BMX games anymore, I'm making this entirely for my own enjoyment, and I'm eager to put this game behind me and start working on something with wider appeal and accessibility. Disregard the lazy cel-shaded look--I'll decide on an art style when the physics and controls are exactly as I'd like them.

I may begin work on a dynamic friction model for the tires soon, and carry the lessons learned there over to a racing game in the future, perhaps. We'll see!

razu

Trust me, you won't make any real progress if this is your approach. You'll be filled with ideas that never get off the ground. 3 weeks ago, I knew next to nothing about C# and had enough 3D modeling experience to put a thin cone on a flat cylinder and call it a thumbtack--now I'm continually learning more and making progress day by day. Research the game engines outlined in this thread, select a programming language to roll with, and READ, READ, and READ some more. You'll thank yourself later when you have a working prototype.

I honestly don't know why it took me so long to buckle down, start learning, and actually create something... but in the 3 weeks since I discovered Unity, I haven't been happier that I finally decided to give this all a shot. Unity and Blender have great documentation and communities full of answers, so it didn't take long to put myself on the right track.

Now I'm building the physics-based BMX sim I've always wanted to play. The physics/controls are maybe 85% finished. I spent most of yesterday afternoon getting the airborne rotation to look and feel natural.

The game employs dual-analog controls much like EA's Skate franchise, with the Right stick's Y axis controlling the bike's pitch (for manuals, nose manuals, bunnyhops, back flips, front flips, etc.) and its X axis controlling roll (for leaning the bike left and right), whereas the Left stick's X axis controls steering when the bike is on the ground and spinning (180s, 360s, etc) when airborne. So, if you wanted to attempt a 360 backflip, you'd hold the right stick down and the left stick to one side or the other when launching off a ramp.

I'm simulating the yet-to-be-modeled rider (or his weight, rather) with a set of dynamic centers of gravity that are called one at a time based upon certain conditions--mostly bike position and some collision factors--and the player's input on the sticks can move the current center of gravity within a predetermined range. The player's input simultaneously accounts for the forces the rider would be exerting on the bike, so balancing those forces with the stick's influence on the center of gravity was paramount to getting the bike to move naturally in all of its possible states (airborne being just one of the states I'm checking for).

I think I picked a very involved project to cut my teeth on, and at times it feels I'm in over my head, but it's been a great experience so far. As there's no real market for BMX games anymore, I'm making this entirely for my own enjoyment, and I'm eager to put this game behind me and start working on something with wider appeal and accessibility. Disregard the lazy cel-shaded look--I'll decide on an art style when the physics and controls are exactly as I'd like them.

I may begin work on a dynamic friction model for the tires soon, and carry the lessons learned there over to a racing game in the future, perhaps. We'll see!

Cool!

The bike doesn't seem to sink into the ramps or floor. Did you set the physics time step to something super small?

Cool!

The bike doesn't seem to sink into the ramps or floor. Did you set the physics time step to something super small?

Thanks man! I was just looking at Chopper Mike... looks fun!

Right now my physics time step operates at double the default frequency, so it's not overly small. What really seemed to squash most of my collision issues without killing the framerate was using the "continuous" mode of collision detection in combination with the faster time step on the bike's tire colliders and on my "ground" collider layer, which includes all ramps and deck surfaces, as well as any ledges or rails on which the bike could potentially roll. Same story for the peg colliders and any edges of level geometry which they could potentially grind. Makes for very consistent detection so far.

Tailwhips are in the works, and I'm excited to start experimenting with the terrain editor to get a nice flowing set of dirt jumps in place.

I also need to enforce a global "pedaling" speed limit, which will allow the bike to gain momentum and speed from ramps and gravity exactly as it is now, but will only allow the player to increase the bike's speed with the "pedal" trigger up to a predetermined speed. Should be very, very simple to code. Right now, pedaling increases the bike's speed no matter how fast it's currently moving, so with enough room you can push 60+ MPH and launch the bike into oblivion... not ideal. :)

Slowly chipping away at it and loving every minute of it.

JulianImp

I can't watch the videos right now, but from what you say it looks like you've managed to progress a lot in such a short amount of time. Congratulations! Most people I know go prefer to start with simple game clones, so I'd commend you on your dedication to skip straight to what you really wanted to create and put up with learning whatever uou needed to know to get it done.

I'd love to learn some more about extending the Unity editor for making stuff such as editor previews rather than having to check atlas stuff once they're assigned on runtime, as well as stuff like a button to make objects align to a virtual grid to make level-building easier.

My joint metroidvania project looks promosing, and we have the basic movement and some action mechanics in place, even though there's some tweaking to be done to make the controls less floaty. We've been thinking about giving players a very basic map with some pre-made markers with assorted shapes and colors they can put down wherever they want rather than having the game mark revelant rooms or objects by itself, so as to add to the sense of exploration. I'm still thinking about how I'm going to handle revealing the map as the player progresses, though.

I've also been thinking about how cool it'd be to pull off dynamic loading of the game world rather than just having the player move from one scene to the next, but I have no prior experience with that kind of thing, so it might take a while to get it working well. Does anyone know if Unity free's feature set would allow me to do something such as this (I mean loading room prefabs and their required assets at runtime, rather than the rather unviable alternative of keeping everything on RAM at once)?

I'd love to learn some more about extending the Unity editor for making stuff such as editor previews rather than having to check atlas stuff once they're assigned on runtime, as well as stuff like a button to make objects align to a virtual grid to make level-building easier.

I've also been thinking about how cool it'd be to pull off dynamic loading of the game world rather than just having the player move from one scene to the next, but I have no prior experience with that kind of thing, so it might take a while to get it working well. Does anyone know if Unity free's feature set would allow me to do something such as this (I mean loading room prefabs and their required assets at runtime, rather than the rather unviable alternative of keeping everything on RAM at once)?

I'm interested in that insofar as incorporating something similar as a skatepark editor in my game.

Also, in terms of dynamic loading of the game world, take a look at the documentation for Occlusion Culling: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/OcclusionCulling.html

Right now it's a Pro-only feature, but I have a feeling you could write a similar system yourself for the free version of Unity, perhaps using raycasting from the player's camera perspective?

I'm still looking into raycasting as a collision detection "helper" in a sense--basically employing it as a method to detect when fast-moving objects are about to collide and slowing the object(s) a frame or two before the actual collision is predicted to take place.

Perhaps you could use it to determine which objects are in the player's field of vision and render only those objects?

JulianImp

I'm interested in that insofar as incorporating something similar as a skatepark editor in my game.

Also, in terms of dynamic loading of the game world, take a look at the documentation for Occlusion Culling: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/OcclusionCulling.html

Right now it's a Pro-only feature, but I have a feeling you could write a similar system yourself for the free version of Unity, perhaps using raycasting from the player's camera perspective?

I'm still looking into raycasting as a collision detection "helper" in a sense--basically employing it as a method to detect when fast-moving objects are about to collide and slowing the object(s) a frame or two before the actual collision is predicted to take place.

Perhaps you could use it to determine which objects are in the player's field of vision and render only those objects?

Actually, that won't work because the game's 2.5D, so the camera always shows a relatively small and fixed area around the player. The optimization procedure would come from somehow handling the assets that are on memory, fetching new ones when the player's getting closer to them and discarding the ones that are too far away to even matter so they don't eat up computer resources for no reason; that's why I wanted to know if that kind of thing would be possible by just using Resources.Load or some other method, since I don't know a thing about how Unity handles asset loading and unloading by itself.

Someting I'm worried about would be allowing the player to move too far away from the center if I somehow built the whole world within a single scene (with judicious loading and unloading of game areas, of course), to the point that floating point precission errors could begin to show up. Should I be genuinely worried about this or is it a non-issue unless the player's moving like a million units away from the origin?

razu

Thanks man! I was just looking at Chopper Mike... looks fun!

Right now my physics time step operates at double the default frequency, so it's not overly small. What really seemed to squash most of my collision issues without killing the framerate was using the "continuous" mode of collision detection in combination with the faster time step on the bike's tire colliders and on my "ground" collider layer, which includes all ramps and deck surfaces, as well as any ledges or rails on which the bike could potentially roll. Same story for the peg colliders and any edges of level geometry which they could potentially grind. Makes for very consistent detection so far.

Tailwhips are in the works, and I'm excited to start experimenting with the terrain editor to get a nice flowing set of dirt jumps in place.

I also need to enforce a global "pedaling" speed limit, which will allow the bike to gain momentum and speed from ramps and gravity exactly as it is now, but will only allow the player to increase the bike's speed with the "pedal" trigger up to a predetermined speed. Should be very, very simple to code. Right now, pedaling increases the bike's speed no matter how fast it's currently moving, so with enough room you can push 60+ MPH and launch the bike into oblivion... not ideal. :)

Slowly chipping away at it and loving every minute of it.

Thanks man!

You've done a great job. It's a tricky problem, and for 3 weeks, that's amazing!

My son is into riding scooters round skateparks, and also keeps asking about doing some programming on our next game. I think a 2.5D scooter game might be on the cards :D

Keep it up man!

Dascu

Does anyone know of any upcoming competitions or showcases for indie games in the near future? You know, ways to get the word out.

reddmyst

What's your guy's opinion on demos?

Any positive/negative experiences?

Would it be detrimental to sales of one would intend to sell their game (with maybe the first 2-4 levels and some select characters)?

Raide

Would it be detrimental to sales of one would intend to sell their game (with maybe the first 2-4 levels and some select characters)?

Really depends on what you want to show. Getting the right balance is crucial. In all honesty, if you price it right then people will buy it without trying it first but if you're worried about just unleashing it, you have to sort out what you want in your demo.

You should be able to sell your game from gameplay footage to draw people in. If it is fairly complex, then you need to go into a bit more detail but that initial showing has to be fun or at least show people how it can be fun. Have a demo that drags out and they get to do nothing gives them the idea that there is nothing to do. Show off too much and they have seen your best and they won't get the full version.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I have always felt like demos are the "right thing to do" for consumers.

The more I read about demo/no demo experiences from other devs though, the more I really wonder just how much demos are helping sales of my game. My next title won't have a demo, because it's really hard to demo the type of genre I'm attempting.

missile

6Ud2gmR.png

Rocket during nozzle failure. Am going to post an animation of this tomorrow.

Ashodin

Board still in progress. New texture, new icon, new letters... even the word entry is getting into the act!

sRL38YI.png

Lots of behinds the scenes work as I change things over. I like to iterate, and I think this board look is better than the previous, plus I am getting the board ready for the fancy new player/enemy UI that I want to place.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I want to make a beat up em game. I think I'm going to attempt to make a game engine for this. I don't want to use any of the software in the OP because that's boring. I hope I can create a basic 2D game engine by myself in 6 months.

Feep

Banned
I want to make a beat up em game. I think I'm going to attempt to make a game engine for this. I don't want to use any of the software in the OP because that's boring. I hope I can create a basic 2D game engine by myself in 6 months.
Errrr. So, base-level OpenGL/DirectX calls, then?

o_O

Burt

I'm not going to speculate on the sales impact of demos, but I will say that if you do one its absolutely essential that you do it right. The two big issues I always see pop up with indie demos are bugs and update negligence. If you release a demo that crashes every 10 minutes or is unplayable on a certain brand of video card, you're going to lose sales and create negative PR. The same is true to a lesser extent if you put out a demo early in development and fail to ever update it. If you ramp up your marketing a month out from release and start bringing in new fans, a lot of these people that just started following your game will think that the 12+ month old demo they're playing is indicative of the game's final quality and throw it into their mental garbage bin.

If you think you can create a good argument for buying your game through a demo, I think you should go for it. Always keep that in mind though, that with a demo you're not just making a game, you're making an argument. There isn't much time for a build-up, or a slow burn, or an in-depth tutorial of your most intricate mechanics. You need to say, "This is my game, this is my awesome hook, and this is why you should buy it to get more", and it all needs to be apparent within 5-10 minutes of playing. If you can do that, as well as avoid the aforementioned pitfalls, you should be alright.

Or you could use Construct 2 and have the basics of your actual game implemented in a week and spend the other 5 and 3/4 months making it better. But yes, I guess that is less exciting than doing it on your own.

So you want to make an engine, not a game. Are you going to build the hardware yourself too?

missile

30243213.gif

30243217.gif

(slow motion)

I'm now about 75% done about my system of solving the basic equations of
motion for a rigid body. The last two points reaming are a higher order
integrator (rk4) and the computation of the principle axis of the inertia
tensor.

So far everything looks pretty good. Now I have also a formula for computing
the form drag of a rocket -- nothing too difficult, but yet very cool to have.

reddmyst

Really depends on what you want to show. Getting the right balance is crucial. In all honesty, if you price it right then people will buy it without trying it first but if you're worried about just unleashing it, you have to sort out what you want in your demo.

You should be able to sell your game from gameplay footage to draw people in. If it is fairly complex, then you need to go into a bit more detail but that initial showing has to be fun or at least show people how it can be fun. Have a demo that drags out and they get to do nothing gives them the idea that there is nothing to do. Show off too much and they have seen your best and they won't get the full version.

I have always felt like demos are the "right thing to do" for consumers.

The more I read about demo/no demo experiences from other devs though, the more I really wonder just how much demos are helping sales of my game. My next title won't have a demo, because it's really hard to demo the type of genre I'm attempting.

I'm not going to speculate on the sales impact of demos, but I will say that if you do one its absolutely essential that you do it right. The two big issues I always see pop up with indie demos are bugs and update negligence. If you release a demo that crashes every 10 minutes or is unplayable on a certain brand of video card, you're going to lose sales and create negative PR. The same is true to a lesser extent if you put out a demo early in development and fail to ever update it. If you ramp up your marketing a month out from release and start bringing in new fans, a lot of these people that just started following your game will think that the 12+ month old demo they're playing is indicative of the game's final quality and throw it into their mental garbage bin.

If you think you can create a good argument for buying your game through a demo, I think you should go for it. Always keep that in mind though, that with a demo you're not just making a game, you're making an argument. There isn't much time for a build-up, or a slow burn, or an in-depth tutorial of your most intricate mechanics. You need to say, "This is my game, this is my awesome hook, and this is why you should buy it to get more", and it all needs to be apparent within 5-10 minutes of playing. If you can do that, as well as avoid the aforementioned pitfalls, you should be alright.

Thank you guys for the responses! It really sounds like demos could possibly make or break a game's initial intent.

It may "be right for the consumers" as chubigans presented, but having demo for first impressions can be tricky and may not be the best approach as an introduction. From what I've experienced and seen with a lot of demos it has a lot to do with more of what Burt has stated. Although, I have also read it's had the opposite effect for some people.

For a beginner such as myself, I like Raide's idea of showing off gameplay to draw people in (if I were to sell a game).

razu

Thank you guys for the responses! It really sounds like demos could possibly make or break a game's initial intent.

It may "be right for the consumers" as chubigans presented, but having demo for first impressions can be tricky and may not be the best approach as an introduction. From what I've experienced and seen with a lot of demos it has a lot to do with more of what Burt has stated. Although, I have also read it's had the opposite effect for some people.

For a beginner such as myself, I like Raide's idea of showing off gameplay to draw people in (if I were to sell a game).

My thinking is that for my game, the immediate gameplay is the attraction, it's what people pay for. So, if they can play the game for free, they've kinda already got their hands on what I'm selling. Having a sale is different, because when I put the price back up, new players have to pay to play.

Make a trailer that shows off the gameplay and people can decide whether they want to have a go themselves. And we're not talking a huge investment, it's not a car. My game sells for £0.69p-£1.99. That shouldn't require a lot of thought, a Big Mac costs much more, for instance. A fairground ride costs more, and you get one go!

cbox

anyone messing with the LeapMotion? Tempted to get one

Same with me! Looks pretty sweet and I'm willing to give it a shot.

In othernews, I continued with my learning of blender and I've gotten pretty far :D LOVE IT. Mixed it in with some photoshop work and I have the beginning of some promotional artwork for my game.

aX63jUb.jpg

Maybe one day we'll make a fully 3d version of our game, who knows!

caffeware

Banned
What are you making this in? Is it a ROM hack?

First, thank you for you interest. No, the game is being created in a 'custom engine' made in the SFML c++ library. This is a sweet-sour experience: In one hand I can do whatever I want; in the other I have to be careful about performance, memory leaks and such.

Overall, so far, its been fun and have learned a lot. I have a long way to go though...

Jobbs

Banned
USgamer.net posted an article about my game today.

In the interview I mentioned that I'm gonna be kickstartering this thing, so I guess the cat's out of the bag. :) I've got most of it sorted out, just finishing up. The particulars about why I'm doing this will be in the project listing, but the long and short of it is I want to bring my friend on and port the whole thing to unity and redo the art for high res and big screens.

Maybe one day we'll make a fully 3d version of our game, who knows!

How long have you been doing 3D stuff? Looks good. I keep intending to learn this stuff but never get around to it. I'm bad at learning new software.

BlueMagic

Actually, that won't work because the game's 2.5D, so the camera always shows a relatively small and fixed area around the player. The optimization procedure would come from somehow handling the assets that are on memory, fetching new ones when the player's getting closer to them and discarding the ones that are too far away to even matter so they don't eat up computer resources for no reason; that's why I wanted to know if that kind of thing would be possible by just using Resources.Load or some other method, since I don't know a thing about how Unity handles asset loading and unloading by itself.

Someting I'm worried about would be allowing the player to move too far away from the center if I somehow built the whole world within a single scene (with judicious loading and unloading of game areas, of course), to the point that floating point precission errors could begin to show up. Should I be genuinely worried about this or is it a non-issue unless the player's moving like a million units away from the origin?

I never really tried it but I'm pretty sure it would take a very long distance before you start having precision problems. In fact I believe I remember reading that Minecraft doesn't deal with things like that (probably uses double-precision but still).

Burt

In the interview I mentioned that I'm gonna be kickstartering this thing, so I guess the cat's out of the bag. :) I've got most of it sorted out, just finishing up. The particulars about why I'm doing this will be in the project listing, but the long and short of it is I want to bring my friend on and port the whole thing to unity and redo the art for high res and big screens.

I've always known that your game looked good, but god damn, I'm only a minute into the video and I can already say that I love the sound design. The gun and the dash, in particular, are great.

Jobbs

Banned
I've always known that your game looked good, but god damn, I'm only a minute into the video and I can already say that I love the sound design. The gun and the dash, in particular, are great.

I appreciate that greatly. It begs mentioning that the sound there are basically placeholders. :) I created them to kind of give the idea of what I'm going for to help out the real sound person.

Video's just a bit dated, the current game is a bit less blue tinted and some other changes as well.

cbox

How long have you been doing 3D stuff? Looks good. I keep intending to learn this stuff but never get around to it. I'm bad at learning new software.

Thanks! :)

I did maybe 3 months of 3d work in 2005-6 in school and I pretty much learned the very basics of modelling. I just started up blender tutorials about 2 weeks ago, so about 2 weeks now haha :p

ctothej

This is only relevant if your game is about to be released, but I find the most effective demos allow you to save your progress and continue in the full version. Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten did a great job with this. I played a few levels, got really invested in my party, and then had the option of unlocking the full game. If I had to start the game over after finishing the demo, I wouldn't have paid for the full version. I also wouldn't have bought it if there was no demo (which would have been unfortunate, because it's a great game).

I hope you have lots of stretch goals... dat artwork man. Ghost Song will get backed in a matter of days.

What are you making this in? Is it a ROM hack?
I was browsing Greenlight and saw your submission (remembered the cool screenshots from the thread so thought I'd check it out).

Dude! The trailer for Malebolgia is AWESOME. The feel you captured in it is so damn deliciously creepy, not in the modern sense of stupid horror movies but in that ancient, evil, uncanny kind of way that old films and literature have. I'm super excited to see how it turns out!

What is the song from the trailer from? And how long have you been working on Malebolgia, out of curiosity, and with what tool?

SublimeO12

Neo Member

Check out the functions in the Application class, "LoadLevel", "LoadLevelAsync", "LoadLevelAdditive", etc.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/Application.html

These should get you on your way to streaming content into your world.

Tash

Hey guys :)

If any of you want to help with testing of one of our games in development you can sign up for Alpha here.

Unity stuff - a casual thingie that enables you to easy create and share your own platform puzzlers (multi-platform, mobile, PC/Mac etc)

Help and feedback would be greatly appreciated <3

Feep

Banned
Hey guys :)

If any of you want to help with testing of one of our games in development you can sign up for Alpha here.

Unity stuff - a casual thingie that enables you to easy create and share your own platform puzzlers (multi-platform, mobile, PC/Mac etc)

Help and feedback would be greatly appreciated <3
You asshole. Do you know how many rival indie game developers this is going to spawn from young ages?!

I oughta punch you right in your talented brain.

Dascu

I was browsing Greenlight and saw your submission (remembered the cool screenshots from the thread so thought I'd check it out).

Dude! The trailer for Malebolgia is AWESOME. The feel you captured in it is so damn deliciously creepy, not in the modern sense of stupid horror movies but in that ancient, evil, uncanny kind of way that old films and literature have. I'm super excited to see how it turns out!

What is the song from the trailer from? And how long have you been working on Malebolgia, out of curiosity, and with what tool?
Thanks. :)

The voices from the trailer are actually just "chanting monk" sounds that I got from Freesound.org. I've been working on Malebolgia for about 6 months now, though the idea and concept's been in my head for a bit longer. And I'm using Unity for the engine, Wings3D for the models, Blender for the animation and SketchUp for the environments.

Tash

Duh..it's just going to spawn more of you talented peeps faster. The world can't have enough indie devs :D
Thanks though. Make sure to let me know if you want to sign-up for the Alpha. Creating levels and then play them multiplayer with friends is actually a lot of fun. I'd think Gaf could come up with kickass levels and have fun kicking each-other's butts too ;)

Also, we just added more features. One of them a mechanic so you can actually create death match multi-player mode games :D

Unfortunately the character creator is not in yet but our random generator created a kickass sombrero rambo for me ;)

2ub6Sog.png

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
Sorry if this has been posted already but saw this with the windows/unity annoucement.

http://unity3d.com/contest/windows

Pretty cool contest for Windows Phone/Windows App Store with the Unity.

Windows Phone 8 games or content

First prize: $30,000 USD
Second prize: $10,000 USD
Third prize: $5,000 USD

Windows Store games or content

First prize: $30,000 USD
Second prize: $10,000 USD
Third prize: $5,000 USD

Bit-Bit

Wow it looks and sounds amazing in motion. I really love the dash move and how it's used to get around enemies and the way it sounds is really cool.

How do you do your art? Are the assets done at a high resolution and made to look like pixel art? Everything has a nice clear look to them and yet still have that pixel charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom