• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

So this is what I did today.

LightingGIF2.gif

This looks brilliant. I love the fact that it's living up to the awesome concept art. Can you please post a direct-feed screen? Just so we can see it without the loss of detail from GIFs :D

razu

Yo yo yo!

Long time no post! There's tons of cool stuff going on here, wicked!! :D

Well, quick recap on Chopper Mike...

As a paid app it's done around 3,000 in sales, (not ordering the speedboat right now). Most of those came after launch, after being featured on Google Play, then again after putting the price down. After those spikes, things went back to almost nothing again.

I put the price back up, thinking I'd have another sale later and see if another spike happened. But then I just thought I'd see what effect making it free would have. Rather than seeing them as missed sales, I'd count downloads as free advertising, and hopefully drive a bit of word-of-mouth buzz. Well, day one, 2,000+ downloads, day 2, 36,000+, day three, 17,000+...

So that's at least 50,000 extra people who have heard the VAMflax intro and played the game. All for a marketing spend of £0!!

I'm going to leave it free for a bit, then put it back to Tier 2, (£1.49/$1.99), and see what happens. Then try cycling to Tier 1, then free... the thing that's driving the downloads is the sites scanning and reporting apps dropping their price. Might be worth a go setting it to a higher Tier and dropping a Tier each week... who knows!?

One odd thing. If you set a game to free on Google Play, you can't set it back to paid. Which ruins this plan, as I don't want to muck about with 'lite' versions. I want people to play the whole game for free and hopefully tell someone about it!

Will report back later! And will try to visit more often, I'm just having a break from it all I think, it's draining thinking about dev stuff ALL THE TIME! :D

Just discovered this thread, figured I'd share. Some of you may have played our previous title Hypership Out of Control on iOS, XBLIG, or WP7. I'm currently working on a sequel for iOS, Android, and PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_8Vt-udyLI

Updated graphics, parallax scrolling, a few new items / weapons, and all new levels. It's coming along well. I'm planning to get the first level pretty much done and then do a Kickstarter to help pay for art and music for the rest of the game.

I've also been playing with Ouya and may port some of my games to it, starting with Abduction Action!. If this process goes well, I'll probably port most (if not all) my titles over.

Miutsu

So this is what I did today.

LightingGIF2.gif

Looking great! Love the combination of the 2D plane/textures with the 3d elements like the lighting.

WHITE CYCLOPS!

88kAmlC.png

What you'll use to start the game!

I've got it in the game currently, so if you're still checking that out, that should show up.

Love the look of that Start Screen :D is it a solo project or are you making it with someone else?

Yo yo yo!

Long time no post! There's tons of cool stuff going on here, wicked!! :D

Well, quick recap on Chopper Mike...

As a paid app it's done around 3,000 in sales, (not ordering the speedboat right now). Most of those came after launch, after being featured on Google Play, then again after putting the price down. After those spikes, things went back to almost nothing again.

I put the price back up, thinking I'd have another sale later and see if another spike happened. But then I just thought I'd see what effect making it free would have. Rather than seeing them as missed sales, I'd count downloads as free advertising, and hopefully drive a bit of word-of-mouth buzz. Well, day one, 2,000+ downloads, day 2, 36,000+, day three, 17,000+...

So that's at least 50,000 extra people who have heard the VAMflax intro and played the game. All for a marketing spend of £0!!

I'm going to leave it free for a bit, then put it back to Tier 2, (£1.49/$1.99), and see what happens. Then try cycling to Tier 1, then free... the thing that's driving the downloads is the sites scanning and reporting apps dropping their price. Might be worth a go setting it to a higher Tier and dropping a Tier each week... who knows!?

One odd thing. If you set a game to free on Google Play, you can't set it back to paid. Which ruins this plan, as I don't want to muck about with 'lite' versions. I want people to play the whole game for free and hopefully tell someone about it!

Will report back later! And will try to visit more often, I'm just having a break from it all I think, it's draining thinking about dev stuff ALL THE TIME! :D

I've thought about that too, about not being able to put the price back up on the Play Store.. I'm still thinking about the payment model I'm going to go for but for now I'm settling with making the game free but having sections of the game locked behind IAP.

For example, if the game consisted of five sections maybe offer the game free with the first section unlocked for people to play and try the game, while leaving the option to pay for the other sections separately (more expensive in the long run) or buy all the sections in one package, in which case it would cost the same as if I charged for the game in the first place.

I haven't completely investigated how IAP works on iOS/Android but I think that this way I would have complete control over the pricing of the contents of the game (going up, down, or free altogether whenever I wanted to), and at the same time I offer the demo and the whole game in one download.

Just discovered this thread, figured I'd share. Some of you may have played our previous title Hypership Out of Control on iOS, XBLIG, or WP7. I'm currently working on a sequel for iOS, Android, and PC.

Updated graphics, parallax scrolling, a few new items / weapons, and all new levels. It's coming along well. I'm planning to get the first level pretty much done and then do a Kickstarter to help pay for art and music for the rest of the game.

I've also been playing with Ouya and may port some of my games to it, starting with Abduction Action!. If this process goes well, I'll probably port most (if not all) my titles over.

Nice, another shmup-dev-fella, game is looking great :) I don´t live in a Kickstarter supported country but I have the intentions to do an indiegogo soon, problem is that as we know kickstarter has much more awarness than indiegogo and also I've been wondering how much successful would a campaign for a shmup be in either of these platforms, so if you go ahead with it before me then I'll be watching your campaign like a hawk!

razu

I've thought about that too, about not being able to put the price back up on the Play Store.. I'm still thinking about the payment model I'm going to go for but for now I'm settling with making the game free but having sections of the game locked behind IAP.

For example, if the game consisted of five sections maybe offer the game free with the first section unlocked for people to play and try the game, while leaving the option to pay for the other sections separately (more expensive in the long run) or buy all the sections in one package, in which case it would cost the same as if I charged for the game in the first place.

I haven't completely investigated how IAP works on iOS/Android but I think that this way I would have complete control over the pricing of the contents of the game (going up, down, or free altogether whenever I wanted to), and at the same time I offer the demo and the whole game in one download.

All I've heard from professionals, (big companies doing console and mobile), and indie alike is that "nobody pays for levels". So I'd say think about whether your IAP unlocks the equivalent of a level, or a thing you use. Personally I'd have thought the demo section with unlock would be a winner, but no, it would seem.

This totally ruins my game for OUYA as level locking is all I can really do. With my game, it's fun to fly the chopper, that's the thing. You pay a tiny fee to do that. That's the model. So it doesn't fit IAPs too well.

I think I'll make an IAP game next as I think I could have got a better take up at launch if it was free. Also, I'd make it iOS exclusive to begin with as you stand a better chance of featuring.

I also want to put more narrative and reward for playing, some kind of XP, things to find with rewards, etc...

But yeah... I wouldn't unlock levels!

Ashodin

All I've heard from professionals, (big companies doing console and mobile), and indie alike is that "nobody pays for levels". So I'd say think about whether your IAP unlocks the equivalent of a level, or a thing you use. Personally I'd have thought the demo section with unlock would be a winner, but no, it would seem.

This totally ruins my game for OUYA as level locking is all I can really do. With my game, it's fun to fly the chopper, that's the thing. You pay a tiny fee to do that. That's the model. So it doesn't fit IAPs too well.

I think I'll make an IAP game next as I think I could have got a better take up at launch if it was free. Also, I'd make it iOS exclusive to begin with as you stand a better chance of featuring.

I also want to put more narrative and reward for playing, some kind of XP, things to find with rewards, etc...

My IAP unlocks whole quest lines. Well, specifically, it will be the other classes in the game (as you have several at the beginning to choose from, and more will change gameplay + add story), so it will be compelling to buy for users to get the "complete" story.

razu

My IAP unlocks whole quest lines. Well, specifically, it will be the other classes in the game (as you have several at the beginning to choose from, and more will change gameplay + add story), so it will be compelling to buy for users to get the "complete" story.

I think classes fits with a thing you use, rather than a thing you play in. So that sounds good.

I'm sure some people/games can sell levels BTW, just not the people I've talked with.

Vark

battle.png

Trying to get all the main elements on the battle screen looking pretty. Still feel like I have forever to go.

Ashodin -

Tried out the demo you put up, looking swank! I'm working on an RPG myself so it's cool to see other takes on it.

Ashodin

battle.png

Trying to get all the main elements on the battle screen looking pretty. Still feel like I have forever to go.

Ashodin -

Tried out the demo you put up, looking swank! I'm working on an RPG myself so it's cool to see other takes on it.

Aw dude cool man. Thanks a lot. I'm still working on it, iterating every so often, but today I need to get a sprite font done so the puzzle grid looks even more swanky.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

Cool. I loved Hypership Out of Control

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
That looks rad. I want to play around with rockets.

I bought a 27-inch iMac today. I've been working on my wife's old MacBook until now. Going to download and try out unity tomorrow.

Warrozo

Neo Member
Hey everyone!

I've been working on a minimalist puzzle game for a bit now and would love to get some feedback.
637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

The game is here - Flipper

Any feedback would be great (Even if you don't like it!) :)

Thank you

Feep

Banned
Thanks for the kind replies, everyone!

I'll see if I can record some direct video when I get back from Comic Con.

You guys probably know this, but making games is awesome. :)

razu

Congrats Razu, 50k total is INSANE. I'd be ecstatic if my game ever got those numbers

Yup. Even if I didn't make any money off of it I would be thrilled to know that many people played my game. (though money is nice obviously :p)

Yeah, I was pretty hyped when I woke up and saw the numbers :D

Nice reviews are cool too. I just saw: "This a awesome game. Usually these games have horrible controls and are boring but this game is awesome!". Especially as the main goal was to make an arcade game with good touchscreen controls.

The coolest thing is that people are playing and liking something I made in the house I'm sat in now! That's rad :D

Money would be wicked as it'd mean I could do this full time, which would ramp output up no end. But I'll keep going, making cool stuff, and if something takes off.. great! Otherwise, I make someone else's games for a living in the day, then *my* games as a hobby... I'm pretty lucky!

The numbers are reducing, yesterday was 8000-ish. So I'll wait until they reduce down some more and put it back to paid. Hopefully I'll find the time to do a bonus world of levels, which may get people updating, playing, and spreading the word.. who knows!?

Android sales for yesterday were: 5. LOLz. So there's nothing in the way of word-of-mouth going on there!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hey everyone!

I've been working on a minimalist puzzle game for a bit now and would love to get some feedback.
637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

Thank you

The idea is cool :)
I have played only some levels(without the audio) and imo to improve the game you need:
1)different size of levels and paintbrush, start with small levels and paintbrush and then make them grow.
2)you need to explain how to play the game and on how to do advanced things
3)levels need to be more balanced, actually a level is easy and the next one is hard(at least for me)
4)in puzzle games always give some freedom so people won't stop playing if one can't pass a level, let us choose between more than one levels or give us something to skip a limited number of levels.
5)make it more animated

tranciful

yeah that's one of the really annoying things about android

Dascu

Woo... Put up an IndieDB page: http://www.indiedb.com/games/malebolgia

Also the latest from #screenshotsaturday:

Preparing an alpha build of the first/main portion of the game. I'll share that with some closer friends first, but who knows, I might put up a version for some of you guys too.

I've also been doing some more research on crowd-funding, and I'm fairly sure I will be launching a Kickstarter soon. Within the next two weeks. Target goal would be about $5000.

Miutsu

That really sucks to hear, the idea I got it from this game: http://www.shogun-mobile.com/ which did it on iOS but for the rest of releases it had a normal demo build and a complete game build, but well there is still time for me to think how I'm gonna do it.

Hey everyone!

637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

Thank you

Love the visual style of the game and the minimalistic menus!

---

#screenshotsaturday

Work has progressed slowly but steady, some progress of the level selection screen:

QEEjLCl.png

Levels distributed as hexagons with every island corresponding an area.

vRGYrtB.png

Preview panel of the level showing the relevant information and a thumbail.

So I'm having problems with my practice game. I'm trying to get it so that when ever I shoot the enemies 12 times they die. However I notice that only half of them do. Here's my file if anyone can see where I went wrong.

Here's the file.

Chris_C

Does anyone know of any decent tools for working on branching narratives and dialogue trees? I've heard of people using Excel, but I'm not sure how that works (sounds like a monstrous task as well).

Jobbs

Banned
Thanks so much guys. :D your encouragement really helps me keep going on this thing.

This continues to look awesome :)

It's awesome to hear from you. I had my socks knocked off by dust and it had a lot to do with getting me to think that maybe I could make a cool looking (obviously not AS cool looking) game myself.

oh my gosh, looks awesome

is this a Metroid-like? just going off your avatar...

Yes, metroid like and a little bit of dark souls essence here and there.

Nice! All the work you share looks professionally made. Are you an artist by trade?

I am an amateur, really, though I've done and occasionally do art jobs for people. I don't have any formal training, and honestly, I don't feel like I have a high level of technical knowledge about doing artwork, I'm just a tinkerer who will keep hammering on a piece until it matches my vision. I'm all about putting something down, anything, then playing with it for as long as it takes until it looks cool. I've never really drawn on paper. I got this wacom intuos 3 back in 2006, (only two buttons are left that work, and barely -- this thing is war torn -- plan to replace it soon.. is the 5 good?) and I learned everything on it. As such I have a very tool-reliant, manipulate-y, undo-y style of working.

I used to draw comics on this thing, too, as my primary interest -- once I had a published comic but the publisher closed down like a year later. :)

Servbot24

Banned
Intuos 5 is good, but there are competitors to Wacom coming out that offer much more budget friendly solutions at a comparable level of quality, such as Yiynova.

JulianImp

2013 YEAR OF THE METROIDVANIAS

Funny that you mention it... my current joint project is a Metroidvania as well!

We're currently working on getting the basic mechanics down for now, so it'll take a little while before there's anything that's worth showing. I was asked to further polish my showcase project, but I can't wait to get it done so I can go back to this game.

Vancha

So I was wondering,

As of now I have close to zero real experience with programming, I only know the basics.
Is there however a way to still develop some games? Even if they are a little bit easy in mechanics?

Personally I've heard GameMaker might do it, but is there anything else out there?

Metroidvania communicates an idea instantly, and evokes certain things instantly. It's an efficient term. Action adventure sounds less specific.

Its just very tacky. I mean imagine if sandbox games were called grandrisings or something similar.

You didn't export the entire file so I can't get the game to load at all in GM. Just save it as a normal save file and it should be playable for me.

Like this?

injurai

Banned
Its just very tacky. I mean imagine if sandbox games were called grandrisings or something similar.
[/URL][/B]

diablo-like

rogue-like

I think it's fine, and pays homage to genres that remain relatively unexplored to merit them their own concise and meaningful name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom