• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorsep

Neo Member
I think it's possible to generate wrapper C# code that interfaces with the C++ API, but I've never really bothered looking into it.

One of the Steamworks integration things in the Asset Store was made for the Unity game Bob Came in Pieces, but if they were able to implement it, then it'd probably be viable to implement by yourself as well (as long as you're willing to spend the time on it, that is).

Aye, I am just looking for someone with experience in the subject to help me out. I am not a programmer myself and Unity isn't the engine of my choice :)

razu

tumblr_static_logo.png

Finally!

It's time to reveal the game I've been working on for so long.
The name of the game is Katakomb, and you can check the trailer down below on the crappy tumblr site:

http://katakombgame.tumblr.com/

Or you can watch it straight on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5riize7WA-g

Enjoy!

Spooky shit! I'd love to make a horror game.. :D

Dascu

Bah I missed a call from Nintendo, hopefully they call back tomorrow :(
Oh, they started calling already? Let us know how it went, what kind of questions they ask and information they want, please.

Spooky shit! I'd love to make a horror game.. :D
Yes, some of us should team up on something one of these days.

Cool man. Still wondering though, are there enemies? I'm always curious for monster design.

Vancha

About two weeks ago I posted my idea here to start a website dedicated towards the indie gaming. And now I come back here to show you how it looks like so far. The main idea behind the website is to provide a place for gamers to find interesting crowdfunding campaigns, greenlights, news and even some fun features like a hot or not screenshotsaturday contest.

http://www.indiespotted.com

I will be doing more updates on the website soon, as not all the features have been implemented yet. And I will probably also do a small indiegogo campaign in order to raise some money to set up some marketing for the website and also a decent forum for gamers and devs to talk about their passion.

In the wave of Steam news occurring today, my game Assault Android Cactus was release on Early Access! And there's a demo too, so go check it out and tell me what you think!

Glad you guys made it to Steam in the end. You were one of the first indie games that I featured on my indie channel on youtube. I will be continuing the impressions and also provide them as early looks for the website. And i'll make sure to post your game tommorow again and share it a bit more for you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z93Dg6u-5YA

belushy

Banned
Hey guys. I'm not sure if this is a good place to post this, but Jforce games is looking for someone with Unity experience to port their Xbox Live Indie Game Murder Miners to other platforms.

If anyone is interested, here is their Unity Forum post.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/198088-PAID-Port-Murder-Miners-to-iOS-Android-PC-Mac

I'm mainly posting this because I'm a big fan of the game, and am really interested in seeing it come on PC. It is a pretty fun game too.

missile

No you still need a devkit for unity. As much as you do for any cross platform engine anyway. Obviously you can do most of the development and testing on PC but all the real testing needs to be done on the hardware, and of course you need to develop it with the correct specs in mind, and it's pretty hard to really estimate the performance without running it on the hardware.
Ok. How much does a 3DS or Wii U devkit cost?

razu

Yes, some of us should team up on something one of these days.

I've got too many things to get out before collaborating, but there's lots of time :D

When my/previous/this generation of people retire I think there's going to be an explosion of super high quality indie games, worked on by fellow retirees, worldwide. I think that's when you'll get an expansion of games as an art. When people who are driven to deliver a real experience, with a lot of time, experience, and a team of like-minded people on tap, without having to pay the bills... or, y'know, maybe not :D

I'm going to make a button in NGUI now.. baby steps...

(super excited about this prototype, but nothing worth showing as yet)

Keep it cool indie-GAF! :D

beril

Ok. How much does a 3DS or Wii U devkit cost?

Probably not really allowed to say but this is pretty much accurate:

As far as I've heard, it's in the realm of a couple grand.

They've also started to lend out devkits quite a lot now from what I've heard (I'm waiting for a WiiU devkit to arrive now actually). Not really sure how easy it is to get them to do that if you don't already have an established relationship with them though

PhantomR

Banned
It's very straight forward, but you should make sure your company is fully set up. You'll also need a secure location (read: locked door to a room inside the office/home office) where you can store sensitive items.

This is not true. I'll leave it at that.

DarkSiegmeyer

Neo Member

It is legally true, because that's what the legal paperwork says, almost word-for-word.

Whether you want to follow that, whether it is enforceable, whether even members of those first-party companies follow those rules are all entirely different issues.

But I guess we actually probably agree. I just wanted to clarify for any other readers :)

I can't wait for it! :)

We played at the studio, it's pretty difficult hahahaha. I couldn't pin point the real assassin in any of the playthroughs I did lol Even one that was 66% and I was sure it was here. Then comes another guy here, pin points the first person he talks to and wins, hahahaha. Its was pretty fun.
I love the artstyle and the game itself, but the 10 seconds limit makes it somewhat frustrating, I would love to play a version of this with another type of time limit.

About two weeks ago I posted my idea here to start a website dedicated towards the indie gaming. And now I come back here to show you how it looks like so far. The main idea behind the website is to provide a place for gamers to find interesting crowdfunding campaigns, greenlights, news and even some fun features like a hot or not screenshotsaturday contest.

I will be doing more updates on the website soon, as not all the features have been implemented yet. And I will probably also do a small indiegogo campaign in order to raise some money to set up some marketing for the website and also a decent forum for gamers and devs to talk about their passion.

Glad you guys made it to Steam in the end. You were one of the first indie games that I featured on my indie channel on youtube. I will be continuing the impressions and also provide them as early looks for the website. And i'll make sure to post your game tommorow again and share it a bit more for you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z93Dg6u-5YA
The website looks great, hope all goes well!

We've talked personally with them, and that's exactly what they said. I don't know if they force anything more when you really try though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
When my/previous/this generation of people retire I think there's going to be an explosion of super high quality indie games, worked on by fellow retirees, worldwide. I think that's when you'll get an expansion of games as an art. When people who are driven to deliver a real experience, with a lot of time, experience, and a team of like-minded people on tap, without having to pay the bills... or, y'know, maybe not :D
Retirement won't exist then though.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Are you serious?

Wow, but what if I wanted to line up several cuboids (for example) I created in Blender laterally? In the very least is there any way to snap the objects into the same position?

I don't know. I've only just started working with 3D stuff. I think I've got blender figured out though now. I've been doing what I read in the unity forums:

"In object mode, set the X rotation of your model to -90. Press Ctrl + A and apply rotation, X rotation appears to be 0 now in Blender, set it to 90 and save/export it. You'll see that it will appear both correct and at 0 rotations now."

razu

Retirement won't exist then though.

Ah, a lot can change :D

I don't know. I've only just started working with 3D stuff. I think I've got blender figured out though now. I've been doing what I read in the unity forums:

"In object mode, set the X rotation of your model to -90. Press Ctrl + A and apply rotation, X rotation appears to be 0 now in Blender, set it to 90 and save/export it. You'll see that it will appear both correct and at 0 rotations now."

DS, you could be elevated to HERO STATUS :D

Duderino

84c6c972deaa24672f2e029bb76ae457.png

Very cool website. I'll be keeping my eye on this.

Can't really think of any other place for it, but here is my interview with Mike Dailly (Head of Development) of YoYo Games - the company in charge of Game Maker: Studio. You can listen to the full interview here.

DSix

Banned
Moar Screenshot Saturday: from my solo project, Proxy Blade
ibfjSWA5xaITOF.gif

I never could save enough money for greenlight, thinking it wasn't worth it (I'm dead broke all the time, a life fit to the thread title)... but if I took them seriously enough to invest, I would've probably been among the 100. I feel very bad now.

ibfjSWA5xaITOF.gif

I never could save enough money for greenlight, thinking it wasn't worth it (I'm dead broke all the time, a life fit to the thread title)... but if I took them seriously enough to invest, I would've probably been among the 100. I feel very bad now.

Looks awesome!

I doubt the 100 games being greenlit is an isolated incident. While they might not do another batch of 100, I suspect the batch sizes are going to be much larger than before. My guess is that at some point the question isn't going to be "Will I be greenlit?" but instead "Will I get promoted on the front page?"

Paz

Sorry, it's possible things have changed since I went through the process. I didn't think those elements were particularly restrictive...

And as others have said, they went through the process with the exact same requirements. Are things different now?

Hard to talk about some of this stuff without knowing what the NDA covers, my advice was more along the lines of 'get your house in order' than specific legal talk.

ibfjSWA5xaITOF.gif

Whoa, was just skimming through the thread and saw that GIF. Proxy Blade looks awesome. You should drop by the Indie Games Thread (well, wait for September's). Do you have a site, any more info?

I recently started an indie gaming blog Indie Game Enthusiast, could do a write up on Proxy Blade if you're interested

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ibfjSWA5xaITOF.gif

Woah, I remember this. Did you post youtube footage a few months back here or did I find it somewhere else?

I remember a good part of mechanics looking pretty nice.

razu

ibfjSWA5xaITOF.gif

Looks sweet man. Just keep going!

DSix

Banned
Thank you guys.
Whoa, was just skimming through the thread and saw that GIF. Proxy Blade looks awesome. You should drop by the Indie Games Thread (well, wait for September's). Do you have a site, any more info?

I recently started an indie gaming blog Indie Game Enthusiast, could do a write up on Proxy Blade if you're interested
Yes, I have website dedicated to my projects. You can also easily see me post more regular updates on twitter (@drag0nsix).

I basically describe the game as a character action game with robots and energy blades. With the focus on fluid and fast combat gameplay. It's a pretty hardcore game, I expect I'll have lower its base difficulty modes more than once before release.

I am absolutely interested in a write-up, the best way to directly contact me is by MP here. I'll try to catch the September indie thread asap.

Woah, I remember this. Did you post youtube footage a few months back here or did I find it somewhere else?

I remember a good part of mechanics looking pretty nice.
Yup you remember well, last year I've put up a trailer. I try to avoid reusing it until I can make a new one.

Flai

Oh man... Just started up the Unity for the first time and fiddled around with the scripts.. Not digging at all :| I think I'm just gonna go back to use XNA... :)

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Oh man... Just started up the Unity for the first time and fiddled around with the scripts.. Not digging at all :| I think I'm just gonna go back to use XNA... :)

What don't you dig? I've been loving unity. So quick and easy to get stuff up and running. Only negative for me so far is render textures being pro only.

Our game in action.

Editor:
ibENLDCXqRTYW.gif

Ship in action:
ibeo6tZOqCJYgX.gif

Another ship:
ivaBwjjsPzEKn.gif

Super Crazy Ship:
in5NmkAluSU9t.gif

looks nice!, i still need to make time to record some shorts like yours, but I can't spam so many bullets like yours :) my enemies do have the same weapons as me, and most of the times I do get killed too easily so I need to limit bullets on screen or otherwise I will be fried chicken in no time , almost finished my game, decided to add some eye candy the last few days and auto targeting system, got frustrated that in space physics do not work as on earth and is hard to target enemies and turn on time

Flai

What don't you dig? I've been loving unity. So quick and easy to get stuff up and running. Only negative for me so far is render textures being pro only.

Well, I really dislike the fact that Unity does not follow any of the C# naming/formatting conventions and that it seemingly is full of static classes (Input, GameObject, Component, Time etc.), though I'm not sure if those are necessaraly *that bad*. I also don't understand how the scripts' Start/Update/Awake etc methods work. I mean, according to the Unity's reference, those area all methods that are defined in MonoBehaviour, but I have to "create a new method" in my scripts because they aren't virtual (I mean, I can't override them and they aren't even visible to me in my own scripts).

That doesn't seem to make any sense and I can't understand how the Unity can even internally call those Start/Update/whatever methods, since they are not "guaranteed" to exist since, if I don't explicitly implement them, they shouldn't even exist.

I'm not sure if any of that made any sense :) But anyways, these are not exaclty "huge" flaws or anything, but I'm a bit of an perfectionist when it comes to the aesthetics of the code I write/read.

But anyways, that being said, I already did a small test-scene where I had bump-mapped plane, couple of cubes, shadows and a moving point light. Took me like 5min even though I had no idea what I was doing. Doing the same thing with XNA would've taken me like 1 month :)

bumpkin

ibfjSWA5xaITOF.gif

I'm probably stating the obvious, but have you considered a Kickstarter? It's done wonders for several people here in the thread.

V_Arnold

I am rebuilding my "engine" from scratch...again. JS+HTML5. This time, I plan on building it for both a 2d Canvas and a WebGL 3d option as well.

WHY DOES BUILDING/REBUILDING SOMETHING FEEL SO GOOD? :D

masterkajo

I am rebuilding my "engine" from scratch...again. JS+HTML5. This time, I plan on building it for both a 2d Canvas and a WebGL 3d option as well.

WHY DOES BUILDING/REBUILDING SOMETHING FEEL SO GOOD? :D

I feel you, man. Do this myself from time to time. Feels good, tidy and like you are in total control of everything. I like it.

That doesn't seem to make any sense and I can't understand how the Unity can even internally call those Start/Update/whatever methods, since they are not "guaranteed" to exist since, if I don't explicitly implement them, they shouldn't even exist.

Probably using reflection to check if those methods exists

Jobbs

Banned
ibfjSWA5xaITOF.gif

Woh! This looks terrific! Rocket pack robot ninja gaiden. Edit: I see you said you're working on it alone. All the more impressive.

Flai

Probably using reflection to check if those methods exists

Yeah I know but.. why..? Why couldn't they just be defined in MonoBehaviour and be marked virtual? And it's also annoying since I can't just write "override" and then press space and see all the stuff that I can "override" in theory, like Update and Start etc. But instead it kinda works by magic. But anyways, besides of those "issues", Unity has started to feel pretty damn awesome now that I've tested it more :)

Yeah I know but.. why..? Why couldn't they just be defined in MonoBehaviour and be marked virtual?

i'm no c# expert but doesn't a virtual method need an implementation (even if only in the superclass)? Maybe they don't want to waste methods call

phantomsnake

Neo Member
Our game in action.

Editor:
ibENLDCXqRTYW.gif

Ship in action:
ibeo6tZOqCJYgX.gif

Another ship:
ivaBwjjsPzEKn.gif

Super Crazy Ship:
in5NmkAluSU9t.gif

It's like a mashup of Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and Asteroids. Looks really fun! :)

i'm no c# expert but doesn't a virtual method need an implementation (even if only in the superclass)? Maybe they don't want to waste methods call

You need to implement interface methods and abstract methods but not virtual methods. This is definitely an unusual design choice on Unity's part...

Everyone seems to be posting gifs now so here's a WORLD EXCLUSIVE (!!!) gameplay clip from Manic Mole:

iBTWk0to1Nj8o.gif

Flai

Well I'm 99.99% sure that reflection is a lot slower than calling empty methods (which, anyways, will most likely get optimized/inlined by the compiler). But I don't know, I guess they had a reason.

It's like a mashup of Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and Asteroids. Looks really fun! :)

You need to implement interface methods and abstract methods but not virtual methods. This is definitely an unusual design choice on Unity's part...

Everyone seems to be posting gifs now so here's a WORLD EXCLUSIVE (!!!) gameplay clip from Manic Mole:

iBTWk0to1Nj8o.gif
Can we comment on games here or is it just strictly dev discussion? Manic Mole looks like a lot of fun, reminds me of Worm Run on IOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom