• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flai

Man, that 2D support really makes me want to switch from XNA to Unity... But I'm still a bit sceptical if I'll like Unity or it's "workflow" at all :( ... Blaah, and I'm just starting a new big project. WHICH ONE SHOULD I USE :p !

The 2D Unity stuff would have come in handy, oh about 2 years ago... :(

If people don't know about Press Kit, It's worth checking out. It's a really simple template for making a press-friendly info page by Rami Ismail of Vlambeer.

Ours is here. It has already proved useful.

This probably deserves its own thread. Someone mentioned Mecanim updates, care to list what they are? I can't watch at work and google isn't helping me any.

Nirolak made one right around the time I posted

I'm really interested to see how much of the 2D stuff, if any requires a pro license. I heard the word license in their announcement, but they weren't specific about it one way or the other.

Edit: Looks like it will be in the free version: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/08/28/unity-native-2d-tools/

From what I remember about the Mecanim update there was some technical stuff that meant animations would consume less resources. There was more but I wasn't paying close attention there.

For working with blender and unity, I've just been saving the blend files into my project's asset folder and then fiddling with the rotation in blender until it is the right way up in unity. Doesn't take all that long, but it's a little annoying.

Edit: Twitter spreadsheet updated

Are you serious?

Wow, but what if I wanted to line up several cuboids (for example) I created in Blender laterally? In the very least is there any way to snap the objects into the same position?

missile

Most UK people are bilingual for units. They tend to use metric when being precise, but imperial when being informal. People give their heights in feet and speed limits are mph, but food is all bought and sold in grams and litres. All engineering and construction is done in metric. Schools teach metric exclusively, so the population is becoming less and less imperial-centric.

Personally, if I was making a scientifically accurate simulation game, I'd use metric.
Very good to know. Thank you! Seems I need a mixed-mode as well. xD Perhaps I
will just use some color bars eliminating the problem altogether. ;)

As an european, metric.

If you can put an option for both, maybe that's better. Lots of game change imperial to metric depending of the language playing or just a switch in the options menu.
Yep!

Metric, please. Stop the madness of the imperial system.
xD Slowly, mate! I start to like it. :)

Really? My brother is a test engineer and he says imperial is really only an American thing with engineers. Like he was working on something that was being developed across borders and the Canadians metric wasn't meshing with our usage of imperial.
Indeed, it's an American and (to a certain extend) an English thing.

But am still interested to here from someone over from the US how they deal
with the metric system. Are they bilingual (for units) as well?

*R1ch (Programming guru) posted this:
https://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2972

So not lossless, but considering my local recordings (and even stream) look absolutely fantastic at native res, this even better should give you near quality of lossless without taking up 1GB / minute.
For one reason or another I can't get OBS videos to look good. Here is a
640x480 animation. The Fraps gif is pretty close to what can be seen on
screen, while the OBS version still introduces some smoothing/blur/compression
artifacts. Any idea to improve on it?

[OBS]
http://www.nihilogames.com/volatile/withOBS.mp4
60fps, crf=0 (supposed to be lossless) + option given here

[Fraps]
withfrapsfnun1vasgg.gif

60fps, lossless

Santini

re: Unity 2D and Box2D

Wow. Super excited about this!

I just got my copy of 2DTK registered and everything, though. =\ Feels like buying that one game from the Steam Sale before it goes on a 90% sale or something...

Five

Banned
But am still interested to here from someone over from the US how they deal
with the metric system. Are they bilingual (for units) as well?

Not usually. Some are, certainly, but most only have a cursory knowledge of metric. It's easier the less calculation there is, of course. A meter is about a yard, a gram weighs about the same as a penny, a centimeter is about the width of your finger, right? Easy enough. But describe a distance as 120 yards, or 300 grams, or 25 centimeters, and suddenly rough comparisons fall short.

fin

This probably deserves its own thread. Someone mentioned Mecanim updates, care to list what they are? I can't watch at work and google isn't helping me any.

Animation events. Similar to the traditional ones (for non-mecanim) but can also be baked into the animation on import. Should be way better than using curves.

New Unity object type that can include the whole rig. U can also specify what bones u want to see in the inspector on import. Basically less objects in the scene better performance.

I think there was another thing too... might be doing some skinned mesh batching too, but not sure. They had a scene with 2000 characters moving and animating at 60fps.

No date, beta starting soonish. Said with all these new features it'll be a longer beta period.

Edit: Just talked with someone and asked about skinned meshes and said no.

Animation events. Similar to the traditional ones (for non-mecanim) but can also be baked into the animation on import. Should be way better than using curves.

New Unity object type that can include the whole rig. U can also specify what bones u want to see in the inspector on import. Basically less objects in the scene better performance.

I think there was another thing too... might be doing some skinned mesh batching too, but not sure. They had a scene with 2000 characters moving and animating at 60fps.

No date, beta starting soonish. Said with all these new features it'll be a longer beta period.

Edit: Just talked with someone and asked about skinned meshes and said no.

Thanks man. Sounds great.

jrDev

Unite '13 keynote on now: http://unity3d.com/unite/unite2013/keynote

They just announced Unity 4.3 will contain full 2D support. GUI still coming 'soon'.

Also announce: Unity cloud: https://unity3d.com/beta/cloud, an ad service. And Unity Games, which will be their publishing group replacing Union.
:-O

Yeah, i knew that and they will probably, at some nice day, relax the restrictions further, but i can't start and create something with unity free on hope only :)
Offering some midtier version would be nice.
You could also just pay $75 installments for 12 months if you want to use unity and its pro features...

TrickRoom

I skip the forums for a few days and now everyone's got their twitters out. I have no idea how this connecting thing is supposed to work but judging by the posts of all the other people that "dont use it, probably should, and just started" I guess that's not too unusual.
Anyways, added a bunch of you guys. :D

Weee!

Cocytus is almost done.

What is this game!?

motorsep

Neo Member
Have anyone here ever attempted implementing Steamworks successfully (into their or someone else's game; C++)?

I am looking for someone to help me with such task and it feels like there isn't any one who did that besides a few guys who can't really help (regardless of monetary compensation) :(

Feep

Banned
Have anyone here ever attempted implementing Steamworks successfully (into their or someone else's game; C++)?

I am looking for someone to help me with such task and it feels like there isn't any one who did that besides a few guys who can't really help (regardless of monetary compensation) :(
Yes, but I did it in C#. >.>

TheBera

Wohoo Nintendo answered my Wii U Developer Questionnaire! :)
Does anyone have any experience with this and what to expect? (If you can talk about it, of course!)
They want to have a phone conversation and I'm kinda scared since english is not my first language...

bumpkin

Does anyone have any experience with this and what to expect? (If you can talk about it, of course!)
They want to have a phone conversation and I'm kinda scared since english is not my first language...
Then just tell them so, I'm sure they've spoken to people all over the world.

Paz

It's very straight forward, but you should make sure your company is fully set up. You'll also need a secure location (read: locked door to a room inside the office/home office) where you can store sensitive items.

Don't be scared, they are very helpful and probably want your game on the Wii U as much as you do! my game is coming to Wii U and once we got the ball rolling I'd say Nintendo were great to deal with.

Thanks for all the love fellow developers, would love some more in-depth feedback on the demo itself if you have time :)

TheBera

It's very straight forward, but you should make sure your company is fully set up. You'll also need a secure location (read: locked door to a room inside the office/home office) where you can store sensitive items.

Don't be scared, they are very helpful and probably want your game on the Wii U as much as you do! my game is coming to Wii U and once we got the ball rolling I'd say Nintendo were great to deal with.

Thanks for all the love fellow developers, would love some more in-depth feedback on the demo itself if you have time :)

Yikes, I'm just a student (almost done though!) and I registered as an individual for the questionnaire, I don't really have a company... Well we'll see what they'll tell me :)
Thank you for answering me, good luck with your game!

Paz

I guess 'company' these days can be a broad term, but I believe you will need to be some kind of business entity even if you are a sole trader, but business isn't my strong suit so take that with a grain of salt :p

Just talk to them, figure it out. If you need to form a company they'll tell you, and it's not hard to do anyway :)

JulianImp

In the wave of Steam news occurring today, my game Assault Android Cactus was release on Early Access! And there's a demo too, so go check it out and tell me what you think!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=78846613

That's amazing! I've just taken a look at the trailer on Steam and I'll definitely be buying it soon. I have a question, though: does the game support DirectInput controllers? It'd be the difference between having up to two players or the full four, since I own a single X360 controller and two older ones)

Wow, amazing! this really gets me pumped, since even though I had heard things were getting easiert for smaller teams to reach Nintendo, I didn't even know they'd consider individual people. As far as the language barrier goes, just let them know english isn't your first language and things will probably be fine. It'd be great if you could keep us updated about what's going on (as far as any NDAs you end up signing allow you to, of course), since I'm really interested in contacting them as well.

Paz

That's amazing! I've just taken a look at the trailer on Steam and I'll definitely be buying it soon. I have a question, though: does the game support DirectInput controllers? It'd be the difference between having up to two players or the full four, since I own a single X360 controller and two older ones)

Download the demo and give it a go, I'll have to consult with Sycle in the morning but I think we support 1 direct input device so long as it is player 1, it starts to get complicated when you're mixing and matching devices that assume different ID's within Windows/Unity.

So maybe 3 players? Depending on your devices, but if they don't work at all then we might be able to add them to a future update :)

missile

Not usually. Some are, certainly, but most only have a cursory knowledge of metric. It's easier the less calculation there is, of course. A meter is about a yard, a gram weighs about the same as a penny, a centimeter is about the width of your finger, right? Easy enough. But describe a distance as 120 yards, or 300 grams, or 25 centimeters, and suddenly rough comparisons fall short.
That's quite interesting. Thx a lot.

For Wii U Unity, I guess, or the real devkit? Has anyone bought the native
development kit for developing native games on either the 3DS or the Wii U?
What does it cost?

TheBera

I guess 'company' these days can be a broad term, but I believe you will need to be some kind of business entity even if you are a sole trader, but business isn't my strong suit so take that with a grain of salt :p

Just talk to them, figure it out. If you need to form a company they'll tell you, and it's not hard to do anyway :)

Thank you again, hope everything goes well!

Wow, amazing! this really gets me pumped, since even though I had heard things were getting easiert for smaller teams to reach Nintendo, I didn't even know they'd consider individual people. As far as the language barrier goes, just let them know english isn't your first language and things will probably be fine. It'd be great if you could keep us updated about what's going on (as far as any NDAs you end up signing allow you to, of course), since I'm really interested in contacting them as well.

I really didn't expect them to consider my questionnaire...I actually don't even remember the answers I gave!
If I can, I'll absolutely post whatever happens next, for sure :)

JulianImp

Download the demo and give it a go, I'll have to consult with Sycle in the morning but I think we support 1 direct input device so long as it is player 1, it starts to get complicated when you're mixing and matching devices that assume different ID's within Windows/Unity.

So maybe 3 players? Depending on your devices, but if they don't work at all then we might be able to add them to a future update :)

Thanks, I'll try the demo out and look into it, then!

bumpkin

That's quite interesting. Thx a lot.

What does it cost?
I'm pretty sure beril (maker of Gunman Clive) has the full/real SDK for 3DS. Not sure about Wii U. As far as I've heard, it's in the realm of a couple grand.

JulianImp

What does it cost?

Hold on... does this mean you can develop WiiU games through Unity without using a dev kit for deployment and testing? I thought you had to get both the unity license and dev kit to do anything.

TheBera

What does it cost?

Only for WiiU Unity and the Nintendo Web Framework!
I have no idea how to get a real devkit for WiiU or 3DS...

missile

Hold on... does this mean you can develop WiiU games through Unity without using a dev kit for deployment and testing?...
This, I guess. There was an article about it lately on Gamasutra saying you
don't need a devkit, if I remember correctly. You program the game in Unity
using the Wii U Unity framework.

fin

Hold on... does this mean you can develop WiiU games through Unity without using a dev kit for deployment and testing? I thought you had to get both the unity license and dev kit to do anything.

You can use Unity to develop your game. Get it to a state where it's cool and fun. Then worry about a applying to Nintendo, Sony or MS.

bumpkin

You can use Unity to develop your game. Get it to a state where it's cool and fun. Then worry about a applying to Nintendo, Sony or MS.
I've actually been a little curious about Unity... Is it like the Unreal Engine where the recommended path is modifying a sort of boilerplate engine/game, or can you build your own from the ground-up and only use APIs for graphics, sound, etc.?

And second to that, what programming language does it cater to, C++? C#? Java?

beril

No you still need a devkit for unity. As much as you do for any cross platform engine anyway. Obviously you can do most of the development and testing on PC but all the real testing needs to be done on the hardware, and of course you need to develop it with the correct specs in mind, and it's pretty hard to really estimate the performance without running it on the hardware.

JulianImp

I've actually been a little curious about Unity... Is it like the Unreal Engine where the recommended path is modifying a sort of boilerplate engine/game, or can you build your own from the ground-up and only use APIs for graphics, sound, etc.?

And second to that, what programming language does it cater to, C++? C#? Java?

Yeah, it's an engine, but you can write your own code for handling stuff without Unity's help. It mostly provides:
  • A scene editor for level building
  • Property inspector, so you can edit each object's script properties on the fly (as long as they're public or have the [SerializeField] property)
  • A rendering engine with programmable shaders. Unity also allows you to draw stuff by yourself in real time, but I think that only works with the pro license
  • Game profiler with lots and lots of data it collects as the game is running. It's great for, say, finding how much processing time each script takes up so you can optimize stuff
  • A 3D rigid body physics engine (PhysX, I believe?)
  • Unity's (old) particle system, plus a new one (Shuriken)
  • GUI drawing functions (that are currently being revamped, since it's kind of bad right now)
  • Some terrain building engine that uses a heightmap, so you can make mountains and valleys but not caves. I haven't used it yet, though, so I can't tell you if it's any good
  • An asset store, which has lots of code, graphical, and sound assets, some for free and some others for a price
  • Some other stuff I might have missed

As for programming languages, it accepts your choice of C#, JavaScript ot Boo code. I think you can communicate between scripts made in different languages, but only to a certain extent (I think JS->C# works, but the other way does not, for example).

EDIT:
No you still need a devkit for unity. As much as you do for any cross platform engine anyway. Obviously you can do most of the development and testing on PC but all the real testing needs to be done on the hardware, and of course you need to develop it with the correct specs in mind, and it's pretty hard to really estimate the performance without running it on the hardware.

Oh, thanks for sharing! So that means you can start developing in Unity and do some PC-based testing while you're still defining the details on the acquisition of dev kits and waiting for their arrival, which is always a good thing.

JulianImp

But Steamworks has C++ API, how did you do it in C# ?

I think it's possible to generate wrapper C# code that interfaces with the C++ API, but I've never really bothered looking into it.

One of the Steamworks integration things in the Asset Store was made for the Unity game Bob Came in Pieces, but if they were able to implement it, then it'd probably be viable to implement by yourself as well (as long as you're willing to spend the time on it, that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom