• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fin

Got some business cards!
It was such a gong show to get them as a walk-in. Went to like 4 different shops. I went to two Staples locations and it was horrible. But I found a place with the nicest people there. Locally owned and they got it done in like 20 minutes!

And as was pointed out to me earlier in this thread, 2D Toolkit for Unity also has UI functionality. However, I haven't used it for that yet, so can't comment on how well it works in comparison.

I got 2D toolkit when it went on sale recently and I can say the UI Toolkit is quite nice. I don't want to make comparisons because I haven't used it for anything complicated yet, but it seems pretty good.

thanks for all the input on NGUI

I was about to grab it on sale but wanted to hear from GAFers first. I'll grab it on the next sale or when I run into really needing it on my current project, again huge thanks :)

To move into a new and related to NGUI question as well:

Anyone here use spriter? I just strarted my hand in it and was able to make a nice 2D rigged animated model from scratch with superb ease. I backed it on its kickstarter when it got going and am very glad I did... loving it so far <3
(image not mine)
Spriterbird.jpg

it's super easy to use and probably my new favorite animation tool for games

Noogy

Anyone here use spriter? I just strarted my hand in it and was able to make a nice 2D rigged animated model from scratch with superb ease. I backed it on its kickstarter when it got going and am very glad I did... loving it so far <3

it's super easy to use and probably my new favorite animation tool for games

I've been following Spriter for a long time and may seriously try it now thanks to your recommendation. I spent nearly a year creating my own custom animation tool for my last game, but sadly won't be able to use much of that moving from XNA > Unity, and Spriter looks like it might fit the bill.

I've been following Spriter for a long time and may seriously try it now thanks to your recommendation. I spent nearly a year creating my own custom animation tool for my last game, but sadly won't be able to use much of that moving from XNA > Unity, and Spriter looks like it might fit the bill.

I still have yet to implement the API stuff for Unity to pick up Spriter files (I think it requires NGUI and that's why I asked about it) but overall from someone who uses After Effects as their favorite tool for animating (for video at least) I am enjoying the ease and functions of Spriter.

It has a free mostly full functional version as well on their site:

http://www.brashmonkey.com/

worth a go, plus it's a cheap buy.

It took me less than an hour to understand how to use the entire program with the video tutorials.

My only hold up is that I have yet to take stuff into unity to see how smooth it all is from there.

about spriter, I also been following it for quite long time, actually, I made my own animation library to animate sprites, but at very low level, using 3d to animate 2d stuff, I posted some images before in this thread, took me about 5 months to make the tool, still work in progress and it is in a very usable state today, but now I am trying to finish my summer game first.

Spriter seems to be a very light solution and seems easy to use. But for the things that I wanted to do it didn't work, well mine is able to animate things like cloths in 2d but that ended up being a very expensive task and eats a lot of resources, but at least I have it working. The only reason for me to do it, is because I was tired of waiting for the UBI framework, it was announced so many years ago as open source but it never happened.

Here is our studio's twitter @RLH_Studios
And here is mine: @BorjaRuizSPR

Wow, that's pretty cool! What game is it?

Thanks! The game is "Fleish and Cherry in Crazy Hotel" and its an isometric adventure game (like a point and click but you move directly with keyboard or controller) with envirmental puzzles elements (like zelda). Cartoon world set in 1933 that is a tribute to the history of animation (from Gertie the Dinosaur, through Disney and Fleischer and up to the Looney Tunes 40's) were the main character in the shorts has been kidnaped and her girlfriend Cherry has to rescue him.
You can play a beta demo (no NPC animations, unfinshed backgrounds, and the story is specially done for the demo) here for PC, Mac and Linux:
http://www.redlittlehousestudios.com/crazy-hotel/
We just updated the controls now (like I showed in my last post), but the demo still has the old controls for Cherry, so dont worry if you have a hard time interacting with some objects.
We are in greenlight if you want to vote us :) I hope you like it, I would love to know your opinions when you play it.

I worked in the Ludum Dare with my brother too.

It's a Detective adventure game. You need to find clues, talk suspects and find the killer before he/she kills everyone (the murderer kills every 10 seconds). It's a hard game, and read the tutorial is a must because you need to do a lot of things and you haven't got time to do all.

21727-shot0.jpg

21727-shot2.PNG

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-27/?action=preview&uid=21727
Looks pretty amazing artwise, will play tomorrow and give my opinion :)

missile

You already did this, but you might give OBS a try in the future to record on your machine.
Thx for the link. Can this tool also record/capture lossless? Couldn't find
any option.

... Thanks! The game is "Fleish and Cherry in Crazy Hotel" and its an isometric adventure game (like a point and click but you move directly with keyboard or controller) with envirmental puzzles elements (like zelda). Cartoon world set in 1933 that is a tribute to the history of animation (from Gertie the Dinosaur, through Disney and Fleischer and up to the Looney Tunes 40's) were the main character in the shorts has been kidnaped and her girlfriend Cherry has to rescue him.
You can play a beta demo (no NPC animations, unfinshed backgrounds, and the story is specially done for the demo) here for PC, Mac and Linux:
http://www.redlittlehousestudios.com/crazy-hotel/
We just updated the controls now (like I showed in my last post), but the demo still has the old controls for Cherry, so dont worry if you have a hard time interacting with some objects.
We are in greenlight if you want to vote us :) I hope you like it, I would love to know your opinions when you play it.
Man, how to brick the statue? ;) Well, the game is very cute, but feels a bit
jerky now and than while moving or interacting. Skipping dialogs (early exit)
or skipping the text's animation would also be good.

Thx for the link. Can this tool also record/capture lossless? Couldn't find
any option.

Man, how to brick the statue? ;) Well, the game is very cute, but feels a bit
jerky now and than while moving or interacting. Skipping dialogs (early exit)
or skipping the text's animation would also be good.

You need to follow through different steps until you can breake it ;)
Yep, we had lots of opinions of being jerky in the movement and intercation when people tried the demo, thank god we found a solution for those problems (we were really afraid at one point becuase we couldnt think something that worked better) and people will be able to play it with the new colliders in the next demo update. We are also working around of always giving the player two spaces in the major pathways of the rooms, so you dont get stuck while walking from one part to the other repeteadly, same with the "invisible" spaces Cherry collides, like the fountain, we need to occupy better the grid so people don't get stuck on invisible walls when walking. Working on isometric view is hard, but we are learning a lot from it.

Fireblend

Banned
I created a Ludum Dare game over the weekend. I realize it's not as fancy as some of yours, but I'll post it here anyway! There's a PC and an Android version. If at all possible, play the Android one which is the intended platform :)

lnBhTlm.png

bumpkin

Circular dependency issues during compilation make me a sad programmer. Just sayin'. :(

In other news, captured footage of my latest bit of tinkering. A year or so back I had started working on building a 2D game engine using SDL and OpenGL on a Mac. The old project fell into disrepair when I got side-tracked with more pressing work. Long story short, I couldn't remember the first thing about where I left off, what issues existed, etc., so I just said screw it and started over. If I hadn't built it prior to an OS upgrade -- it didn't work anymore -- then I might have invested some time figuring all that out.

At any rate, this latest go-around has me trying to adopt a game entity component system of my own doing. I've refactored things more than I care to admit and am probably bastardizing the tenets a bit, but hey, it's sort of coming together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECm4rJrcJx0

The video is painfully choppy because apparently screen recordings and non-throttled frame rates don't get along. :)

Unity handles collision detection really weird, no? The differences between Character Controllers and Rigidbodies is pretty strange in regards to collision detection event handling (whether kinetic or not), sometimes a collide event will only fire if the Rigidbody is moving, whether to use collision or triggers, etc.

Character controllers have their own collision detection event, which is what you're supposed to use supposedly because the rigid body one won't work properly?

It seems they went into it with three different ideas in mind, and later tried to mesh them all together instead of picking one.

Eh, just ranting.

Oh, and the capsule collision issue for the Character Controller.

Feep

Banned
Unity handles collision detection really weird, no? The differences between Character Controllers and Rigidbodies is pretty strange in regards to collision detection event handling (whether kinetic or not), sometimes a collide event will only fire if the Rigidbody is moving, whether to use collision or triggers, etc.

Character controllers have their own collision detection event, which is what you're supposed to use supposedly because the rigid body one won't work properly?

It seems they went into it with three different ideas in mind, and later tried to mesh them all together instead of picking one.

Eh, just ranting.

I had extreme issues with collision detection re: quickly moving objects. Don't Go Through Things worked for me!

jrDev

Guess I should join the twitter party.

@ETurgott is personal and @jrdevarts is company/project twitter...

I update on major milestones in project. Currently working on a Character Fighting Combo System which will be able to be used in any project. Will update later after some parts of code stops making my brain weep...

:-/
I had extreme issues with collision detection re: quickly moving objects. Don't Go Through Things worked for me!
Had this problem way back when I was doing a college racing game. I'll keep this link for future ref. Thanks...

missile

Eh, just ranting.

Collision detection and response are also on my list. Gonna be a tough ride,
but am looking forward to it.

missile

Says the scientist? Metric.
Am grew up with the metric system, but am starting to like the imperial one.
Science is covered with metric, but engineers still seem to prefer imperial.
For example, currently, am studying some airfoil theory, reading some
engineering books etc. Most of them are based on imperial units. You can't
avoid it if you want to dive deep into the subject. And pilots seem to like
imperial as well. Many aircrafts display their measurements in imperial
units, still. Sure, this is just one part of the whole, but I get the feeling
that engineers (not all) seem to prefer imperial, whereas scientist prefer
metric.

Well, since I do stuff with aircrafts in my game, I ask myself whether I
should support an option to display all units in imperial as well? What about
all those native US/UK boys grown up on imperial, can they all read
(understand) metric as well, is it taught in school? Are they annoyed reading
metric? What's the take on this subject?

Crispy75

Most UK people are bilingual for units. They tend to use metric when being precise, but imperial when being informal. People give their heights in feet and speed limits are mph, but food is all bought and sold in grams and litres. All engineering and construction is done in metric. Schools teach metric exclusively, so the population is becoming less and less imperial-centric.

Personally, if I was making a scientifically accurate simulation game, I'd use metric.

As an european, metric.

If you can put an option for both, maybe that's better. Lots of game change imperial to metric depending of the language playing or just a switch in the options menu.

AriEX2

So I made a Ludum Dare game over the weekend with two friends. First time attending a game jam. Was a blast. The game even has an ending! For 48 hours its an okay effort I think.

Game is Hungry Knight
Fight your way through a strange wasteland, keep yourself fed every ten seconds, and accomplish a miracle.
02_zpsc28c2f92.jpg

01_zps0aa51819.jpg

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/624136

People keep telling me its too hard, but i dunno, I kinda like it. Thoughts?

Dali

Am grew up with the metric system, but am starting to like the imperial one.
Science is covered with metric, but engineers still seem to prefer imperial.
For example, currently, am studying some airfoil theory, reading some
engineering books etc. Most of them are based on imperial units. You can't
avoid it if you want to dive deep into the subject. And pilots seem to like
imperial as well. Many aircrafts display their measurements in imperial
units, still. Sure, this is just one part of the whole, but I get the feeling
that engineers (not all) seem to prefer imperial, whereas scientist prefer
metric.

Well, since I do stuff with aircrafts in my game, I ask myself whether I
should support an option to display all units in imperial as well? What about
all those native US/UK boys grown up on imperial, can they all read
(understand) metric as well, is it taught in school? Are they annoyed reading
metric? What's the take on this subject?
Really? My brother is a test engineer and he says imperial is really only an American thing with engineers. Like he was working on something that was being developed across borders and the Canadians metric wasn't meshing with our usage of imperial.

JulianImp

So, it seems Steam has greenlit one hundred games as part of a stress test. I've skimmed over the list and I noticed chubigan's Cook, Serve, Delicious! made it in!

They're also saying the next release batches aren't likely to have as many games as this one, but here's to hoping.

Real 2D support within Unity looks like a really interesting prospect. The ability to replace Unity's 3d physics system with Box2D looks like it'd be a great way to optimize game performance in slower devices for any 2D games.

Too bad that they won't be releasing the revamped GUI yet, since it's one of those features I've been hearing about since forever, but it keeps getting pushed back by other ones.

fin

Unite keynote was super impressive. 2d artists u should definitely watch it. Also big mecanim upgrades too. Good stuff!

AmFreak

Unity seems really nice, but some of the missing features (dynamic lighting e.g.) of the free version make this version a no-go for me and i currently don't really have 1.5k$ lying around.
The closest free alternative seems to be JMonkey.
Has anyone here ever used it and can say a few words about it, especially in comparison to Unity?

Bollocks

Unity seems really nice, but some of the missing features (dynamic lighting e.g.) of the free version make this version a no-go for me and i currently don't really have 1.5k$ lying around.
The closest free alternative seems to be JMonkey.
Has anyone here ever used it and can say a few words about it, especially in comparison to Unity?

Well in regards to the latest Unity version:
Now free: realtime shadows (one directional light only; hard shadows only).

It's a start

fin

The Unity updates look awesome. Does it support WiiU, XBoxOne, and PS4 out of box? It'd be nice not to be forced to go through the manufacturers.

I believe u still need to apply to the hardware makers. Nintendo is here and they got a website for WiiU applications. Said devkits cost around the price of a high end PC.

JulianImp

The Unity updates look awesome. Does it support WiiU, XBoxOne, and PS4 out of box? It'd be nice not to be forced to go through the manufacturers.

If they end up using a system similar to that of Wii, X360 and PS3 publishing, then you'll need to be an authorized Sony/MS/Nintendo developer and then contact Unity to get your specialized license. XBO's "the console is the dev kit" approach could help development quite a bit, but I think you'll need to get dev kits for the other consoles to push Unity-authored apps into them for testing.

It'd love it if they'd give us a way to compile and test stuff on consoles without having to go through the manufacturers, but barring really deep involvement between Unity and the big three, we probably aren't going to get it anytime soon.

EDIT:
I believe u still need to apply to the hardware makers. Nintendo is here and they got a website for WiiU applications. Said devkits cost around the price of a high end PC.

I think the guys at Unity were trying to arrange some way for authorized developers to get at least one side of the deal for free (dev kits or the Unity license for the platform, I'm not sure which, or if it's both at once). AFAIK, Sony's handing out dev kits to authorized developers (not for the PS4 yet, though, I believe), and Nintendo was looking to do something similar.

How I'd love Unity support for the 3DS... but I guess the ARM architecture and some of the console's quirks could make it way too hard to fit the Unity engine in there.

AmFreak

Well in regards to the latest Unity version:

It's a start

Yeah, i knew that and they will probably, at some nice day, relax the restrictions further, but i can't start and create something with unity free on hope only :)
Offering some midtier version would be nice.

Five

Banned
I've been using GameMaker:Studio for the current project, but this has definitely caught my attention and is something I'll be looking into.

Feep

Banned
So, I'd like to draw a "marker" on the ground that looks cool and displays the unit's name. I also want this shader to appear regardless of whether or not the player is behind a wall/obscured in some way.

I'm running into this weird circular problem, though. The circle should be drawn on top of the wall, which should be drawn on top of the soldier, which should be drawn on top of the circle, which should be...

Halp

Five

Banned
So, I'd like to draw a "marker" on the ground that looks cool and displays the unit's name. I also want this shader to appear regardless of whether or not the player is behind a wall/obscured in some way.

I'm running into this weird circular problem, though. The circle should be drawn on top of the wall, which should be drawn on top of the soldier, which should be drawn on top of the circle, which should be...

Halp

Probably going to have to draw the soldier twice: once normally, and a second time isolated and stored on a surface. When you draw the marker/circle, use the soldier surface as a mask.

Feep

Banned
Probably going to have to draw the soldier twice: once normally, and a second time isolated and stored on a surface. When you draw the marker/circle, use the soldier surface as a mask.
You brilliant, brilliant man.

Gonna rocket those polycounts, though...

razu

Halp

You can always draw another marker in the same place, but with the depth test set to greater. Can make cool effects where you can see the occluded bits if you use a different material. Is nice, and cheap.

Feep

Banned
You can always draw another marker in the same place, but with the depth test set to greater. Can make cool effects where you can see the occluded bits if you use a different material. Is nice, and cheap.
But if the marker is in the same place, it would be drawn over the soldier when not behind a wall. = ( I could fade it in as the soldier goes behind the wall, maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom