• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pehesse

Impressive stuff. Honey Rose looks really cool.

Thanks a lot :) I'm working towards having a working vertical slice of the match segments ASAP (right now I'm still missing too much of the main player moves, an actual opponent with actual IA, and general stuff that makes the whole thing feel off) to showcase in a video to make a better presentation in this thread, but if you like what you see, you can always follow the updates I post on tumblr!

Okay guys, I'm in need of some kind of assistance. I just can't seem to keep any of my writing for a project I'm working on nice and tidy, especially with visual novel type dialog choices. What kind of programs do you writers type up your dialog/text in? I've used Word (bad idea) and Excel so far, but haven't really figured out just how I'll organize things yet.

I was also thinking about looking into some kind of flowchart or something that might help keep dialog trees from getting confusing, but it doesn't sound handy if there's a lot of text.

There's Inkle Writer that was warmly recommended by the Banner Saga team for writing interactive stories with multiple choices. It might work out for you.

Other possibilities include:
Inform 7
Twine
ChoiceScript
Articy: Draft (Commercial)

Admittedly I haven't used any of them personally so I don't have a recommendation beyond what I heard from the TBS people. Let us know what you pick and how well it works. :)

Okay guys, I'm in need of some kind of assistance. I just can't seem to keep any of my writing for a project I'm working on nice and tidy, especially with visual novel type dialog choices. What kind of programs do you writers type up your dialog/text in? I've used Word (bad idea) and Excel so far, but haven't really figured out just how I'll organize things yet.

I was also thinking about looking into some kind of flowchart or something that might help keep dialog trees from getting confusing, but it doesn't sound handy if there's a lot of text.

Depending on budget and size of the project, have you looked at inklewriter http://www.inklestudios.com/inklewriter/ articy http://store.steampowered.com/app/230780/ or chat mapper? http://www.chatmapper.com/

McFadge

Here is an occlusion that I baked from my high poly model for some girders in the game I'm working on now:

occlusion.jpg

Looking at this texture reminded me of a good tip for keeping (or improving!) texture quality while saving memory and storage size. You can stack/overlap your UVs so they cover the same area, drawing information from the same pixels in a texture. As a really (really) simple example, imagine if you wanted to have a simple white texture on a cube with a black cross through the middle. You might make a map that looks like this (UVs in red):

UV1Texture.png

However, you'll notice that you've really just got 6 crosses on your texture, and they're all exactly the same. So, you could resize your UVs to cover a single cross:

UVsAdjusted.png

With your UVs now occupying less space on your texture map, you can uniformly scale all of your UVs to fill the space again, with the added benefit of getting 'more' resolution in your textures. I've attached an image below showing 3 cubes with a few different textures applied.

Cubes.PNG

The first is a cube with our original map applied with a resolution of 256. The second, the cube has all it UVs overlapped and spread over the entire UV area. The texture only weighs in at 64x64, but it's actually the same visual resolution we're getting from the original 256 map. Finally, the third cube has a 256 texture, but with the same UVs as the second cube. Notice how much less aliasing is present in the texture due to the increased resolution.

So yeah, feel free to play around with the way your UVs are positioned. You can even flip them over to mirror your textures and save space, and rotate them them all around. However, this does have some implications on your baking process and workflow.

Noogy

Noogy, why so tight lipped on whatever your next project is? You vaguely alluded to some upcoming project back ages ago, so, cmon, man. Bone. Throw one.

I'm SUPER excited for my next project, something I had been brewing during the last couple years of development on Dust. I probably won't be able to announce anything until late 2014 at the earliest, but I'm pretty confident that it'll be a unique twist on several genres of games that I enjoy. Sort of like how Dust was.

I will be busy doing a contract gig for the next few months, and then it's onto new tech... since XNA up and died on me I'll probably jump on the Unity bandwagon.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm SUPER excited for my next project, something I had been brewing during the last couple years of development on Dust. I probably won't be able to announce anything until late 2014 at the earliest, but I'm pretty confident that it'll be a unique twist on several genres of games that I enjoy. Sort of like how Dust was.

I will be busy doing a contract gig for the next few months, and then it's onto new tech... since XNA up and died on me I'll probably jump on the Unity bandwagon.
Sounds good :)

pixelpai

Neo Member
Hi,

yesterday I got some kind of nostalgic flash and tried to run a project, i had worked on way back in 2006. it was a Zelad-fan game and developed in GameMaker 6. Great times. Here a two small gifs (had better ones, but i didn't know imgur only supports up to 2MB (for unregistered users?)).

m7JiJeF.gif

KS19plK.gif

Feep

Banned

*cheer*

As always, hit me up with questions if need be!

RawNuts

So yeah, feel free to play around with the way your UVs are positioned. You can even flip them over to mirror your textures and save space, and rotate them them all around. However, this does have some implications on your baking process and workflow.
Don't worry about me, I stack up UVs like a mofo whenever the situation calls for it; I'm very particular about maximizing texture space. :D

For this current project though, I'm baking different lighting data into the actual diffuse map and then taking the various results to photoshop and turning them into a more stylized final texture. I set up my lighting so it isn't straight on the level, but it produces more interesting shadows because it's offset. So for many of my assets, stacking UVs isn't an option (except on my character where I did the common half/half thing).

In case you're curious, here is something else I rendered out for that same object:

McFadge

Don't worry about me, I stack up UVs like a mofo whenever the situation calls for it; I'm very particular about maximizing texture space. :D

For this current project though, I'm baking different lighting data into the actual diffuse map and then taking the various results to photoshop and turning them into a more stylized final texture. I set up my lighting so it isn't straight on the level, but it produces more interesting shadows because it's offset. So for many of my assets, stacking UVs isn't an option (except on my character where I did the common half/half thing).

In case you're curious, here is something else I rendered out for that same object:

Ah, very nice! Carry on then :)

Dascu

Hi,

yesterday I got some kind of nostalgic flash and tried to run a project, i had worked on way back in 2006. it was a Zelad-fan game and developed in GameMaker 6. Great times. Here a two small gifs (had better ones, but i didn't know imgur only supports up to 2MB (for unregistered users?)).

m7JiJeF.gif

KS19plK.gif

Man this brings back memories. Were you active on ZFGC by any chance?

decided this week to change a little bit the gameplay, instead of side scrolling while boarding ships, now it is top down and here is a sample image , still WIP

BoardingTopDown.png

Space ship combat is still top down as before, but now in ship crew management will be also top down like the image above.

MrOddbird

Neo Member
Sorry for not keeping you guys updated on Katakomb. I've been kinda busy with my university studies. Earlier I promised that the game was going to launch early 2014, but that deadline was way too strict, so I'm next looking at late 2014 release.

With that said, I've spent the last weeks on developing a small game so I could do something different and learn the basics of C# (yes I've been using Unityscript a lot!). I made this really simple memory game, but with nice visuals and a lot of customization.

Anyway I'm trying to kickstart the developement again with a new area I've been working on - a water filled corridor in the depths of the catacombs:

I've also looked at other possible future projects. I've had many interesting ideas, but I am trying to get back on track and finish the developement for Katakomb.

Davision

Neo Member

Texture space needed will get huge quickly, assuming you have no Mega texture tech in your project. Or are you using just 1 directional light for your level and don't use objects several times with different rotations? Will be tricky in any case to keep texture space somewhat low. I used baked lighting in the diffuse in my stylized 3d map as well with everything in a tile having unique texture space, even though it is small on screen it gets quite low res.

I'm planing to add an "never ending" mode to my tower defense game. What do you think is the best way to call it? It's a mode where there are no levels,m but a continuous amount of enemies that never stop coming, each one is just slightly stronger than the last, etc. Trying to think of the best way to call it.

Never Ending Mode
Endless Mode
Continuous Mode

Any ideas?

Nah, no limit, I just wanted to get rid of that backups and unused assets from the game. Was just bugging me a little that I forgot to remove it, that's all.

Survival Mode would be best Imo. Endless mode refers more to endless world for me while survival mode refers to the never ending stream of enemies that you have to try to survive.

pixelpai

Neo Member
Man this brings back memories. Were you active on ZFGC by any chance?

yes, I have been on ZFGC (as "Godsmacker"). My fan game was called "The Element Of One" and my game engine (written in GameMaker Lite!) was very far along, but i never really got to the point of creating the actual game content.

Did you also work on one of the many fan-games?

Jack_AG

Banned
So I might switch over to GM for 2D. Played around with it a bit last night and its pretty darn good. We still have Unity for our 3D game but GMs 2D just outclasses Unity's native 2D support and with only 2 programmers (myself and a friend) having things like day jobs and lives it will make production of the 2D game far easier.

Tried Construct2 and eh... Just wasn't feeling it. I got more done faster in GM by just "messing around" and scripting was far easier for me coming from C++ since I have zero knowledge of JavaScript. Even in Unity I treated 99% of my code like it was C++ instead of C# and made changes where necessary.

I'm impressed with GM, TBH. I never considered it before but games like Hotline Miami, Risk of Rain and Spelunky made me curious for a while. Not bad, YoYo, not bad.

Anyone have any tips for GM? Quirks? Things to keep in mind?

razu

It is possible to make somtehing by myself using Unity with low-med C++ knowledge?

Absolutely!

C# feels quite like C++, and you don't have to write a whole load of code to get things to work. The system itself is written for you.

Just have a go! :D

razu

Holy eff!!! I finally figured out what was wrong with my frame rate...

Code:
Application.targetFrameRate = 60;

Seems like this is not good for Android devices. SImply changing it to this...
Code:
#if UNITY_IPHONE
      Application.targetFrameRate = 60;
#endif

Now I'm at a more stable 60fps. It was crazy, standing there doing nothing I'd go from 60fps down to 20fps. I was interrogating my shaders, NGUI code, textures, overdraw...

So now I think I'm finally bug free (on Android, as of now) SO GOOD!!!!

Now what else could I add...

Yeah, that's a good one.

Also, if you use physics, make sure the rigid bodies are set to interpolate. Otherwise they'll most probably stutter.

Dascu

yes, I have been on ZFGC (as "Godsmacker"). My fan game was called "The Element Of One" and my game engine (written in GameMaker Lite!) was very far along, but i never really got to the point of creating the actual game content.

Yeah, used to be a very active member and even moderator. Long time ago.

RawNuts

Texture space needed will get huge quickly, assuming you have no Mega texture tech in your project. Or are you using just 1 directional light for your level and don't use objects several times with different rotations? Will be tricky in any case to keep texture space somewhat low. I used baked lighting in the diffuse in my stylized 3d map as well with everything in a tile having unique texture space, even though it is small on screen it gets quite low res.
Yeah, it's certainly the aspect that needs to be designed around. I've done it for one project before and I know it can become unruly fast; my answer to that is simply not having many assets required for this game. And yeah, I don't have many objects that are the same and rotated.

This is the only chunk of unique tower, and that is repeated a whole lot.
It also helps that I'm working with a fixed camera that will only move up and down, so textures only need to be as large as to support the display resolution.

So that's how you went about making such an awesome-looking map. Praise baked lighting! :D

Makai

I quite enjoy flat shading combined with SSAO. Strangely, flat shading seems to be more expensive in Unity than smooth shading because the vertex count triples. :|

razu

I quite enjoy flat shading combined with SSAO. Strangely, flat shading seems to be more expensive in Unity than smooth shading. :|

Well that's mad! Maybe write your own shaders? Then you are pretty much programming the GPUs, and Unity is out of the equation. I do wonder what goes on in the Unity surface shaders.. but they are super flexible, so I'm cool with them.

But yes, harsh geometric data shaded with high end gfx tech is cool in my book too!

RawNuts

I quite enjoy flat shading combined with SSAO. Strangely, flat shading seems to be more expensive in Unity than smooth shading because the vertex count triples. :|
Wait... for real?! Here I thought I was being efficient using the unlit shaders. I'll have to check with my programmer if he thinks this might be a problem for us. I never checked into the vertex count differing; any idea why it triples it?

For as much as I love Unity, it certainly has some wacky aspects. Setting up FOV to match other 3d programs is quite a hassle as well.

EDIT: Oops, you said flat shading. Nevermind me.

Makai

The reason is I'm using a mesh generated in script, and unlike for imported models in the editor, there is no option to set the smoothing angle to 0. Unity sets the normals for each vertex to vertex normals, but I need them to be surface normals. If the surface normals for contiguous polygons are different, I need to duplicate their shared vertices so I can set them independently. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears!

I asked around in #Unity3D and a regular commented, "Flat shading hasn't been cheaper than smooth shading since the days of software renderers."

Baust

There's Inkle Writer that was warmly recommended by the Banner Saga team for writing interactive stories with multiple choices. It might work out for you.

Other possibilities include:
Inform 7
Twine
ChoiceScript
Articy: Draft (Commercial)

Admittedly I haven't used any of them personally so I don't have a recommendation beyond what I heard from the TBS people. Let us know what you pick and how well it works. :)

Depending on budget and size of the project, have you looked at inklewriter http://www.inklestudios.com/inklewriter/ articy http://store.steampowered.com/app/230780/ or chat mapper? http://www.chatmapper.com/

Thanks! I'll check them out! :)

razu

As some of you know, I've been coding games for a living since the 90s. I'd like to share some of the things I've learned from the supercool eggheads I've been lucky enough to work with. To this end, I have started to write some game development articles that I hope to be of use to others. Nothing is public yet.

I'm starting with the basics, game loops and state machines, architecture. But, as there are so many up and coming game devs in this thread, I thought it might be an idea to ask what you'd find the most useful topics to have explained? Even if you're not new, what would have been useful to know at the start?

I'm thinking of covering universal topics rather than specific tutorial type of things, to begin with. I'll probably end up writing sample Unity projects as things get more specific. I love Unity, and it should be a great way of demonstrating concepts and implementations.

Any suggestions, or questions, mail me at vamflax@vamflax.com. And if anyone ever wants a Desura key for Chopper Mike, just mail me :D

Makai

As some of you know, I've been coding games for a living since the 90s. I'd like to share some of the things I've learned from the supercool eggheads I've been lucky enough to work with. To this end, I have started to write some game development articles that I hope to be of use to others. Nothing is public yet.

I'm starting with the basics, game loops and state machines, architecture. But, as there are so many up and coming game devs in this thread, I thought it might be an idea to ask what you'd find the most useful topics to have explained? Even if you're not new, what would have been useful to know at the start?

I'm thinking of covering universal topics rather than specific tutorial type of things, to begin with. I'll probably end up writing sample Unity projects as things get more specific. I love Unity, and it should be a great way of demonstrating concepts and implementations.

Any suggestions, or questions, mail me at vamflax@vamflax.com. And if anyone ever wants a Desura key for Chopper Mike, just mail me :D
Now: Linear algebra.

Back then: A basic understanding of algorithm efficiency. On a 2D shooter I was working on at the time, I had a nested for loop that iterated through every object and checked for collisions with every other object. Needless to say, this caused massive slowdowns when a lot of projectiles were on the screen. Because I hadn't heard of Big O, I assumed it was because of hardware limitations.

Recent back then: Embracing singletons despite the stigma has been one of the best decisions I've made. They're really helpful for referencing MonoBehaviours in script.

Blizzard

Banned
So I might switch over to GM for 2D. Played around with it a bit last night and its pretty darn good. We still have Unity for our 3D game but GMs 2D just outclasses Unity's native 2D support and with only 2 programmers (myself and a friend) having things like day jobs and lives it will make production of the 2D game far easier.

Tried Construct2 and eh... Just wasn't feeling it. I got more done faster in GM by just "messing around" and scripting was far easier for me coming from C++ since I have zero knowledge of JavaScript. Even in Unity I treated 99% of my code like it was C++ instead of C# and made changes where necessary.

I'm impressed with GM, TBH. I never considered it before but games like Hotline Miami, Risk of Rain and Spelunky made me curious for a while. Not bad, YoYo, not bad.

As someone who came from C/C++/Java, I also thought that the GameMaker scripting language was surprisingly easy to use and fairly full-featured. I would not want to make a full game with it, but you should be able to do a lot.

hitsugi

damn. your work of old is what i'm currently aspiring to create in GM:S...

...but creating a zelda-like from scratch has been incredibly difficult so far D: even on TIGSource there are very limited / dated tutorials for GameMaker Studio

missile

As some of you know ...

I'm starting ...

I'm thinking ...

Any suggestions ...?
xD

Well razu, what about writing about making games back then compared to making
games today being an indie developer? Especially considering how things have
changed for the good and the bad and vise versa. Sort of an article that ties
some strings from the past to the present with respect to game development
from your very perspective -- would be cool!

Jack_AG

Banned
As someone who came from C/C++/Java, I also thought that the GameMaker scripting language was surprisingly easy to use and fairly full-featured. I would not want to make a full game with it, but you should be able to do a lot.
Aye. Our 2D project is more or less a "Lite" version of our original concept. Its very Ninja Gaiden NES like so its nothing fancy, should be super simple to nail down. I'm of the mind that getting things up and running quick with drag and drop to start then turning it all (most of it) into script for easier editing. Ease of development is a huge factor and while we are using Unity, its a bit much for something so simple when time is limited - making that time count now is important.

GulAtiCa

Thanks guys! Endless Mode makes sense. Just couldn't think of the name. haha

Also, Survival mode is a good idea for a name too, though Endless might make more sense, and "Survival" might give off the wrong idea and some might just think it's an increased difficulty mode, since already have Easy & Hard.

razu

Now: Linear algebra.

Back then: A basic understanding of algorithm efficiency. On a 2D shooter I was working on at the time, I had a nested for loop that iterated through every object and checked for collisions with every other object. Needless to say, this caused massive slowdowns when a lot of projectiles were on the screen. Because I hadn't heard of Big O, I assumed it was because of hardware limitations.

Recent back then: Embracing singletons despite the stigma has been one of the best decisions I've made. They're really helpful for referencing MonoBehaviours in script.

Mmmm, Linear Algebra is not my field :D

Algorithm efficiency is! Which boils down to "do as little as is needed". Added to the list!

"Singletons" are stigmatised, but chances are, you can do them via a static class, and, within your game you can absolutely always assume there will be only one, and you'll never run unit tests on it.

In Unity, you just need to be aware of 'expensive' look-ups, and that's the same with any language. Caching and dealing with stale data is the key to any high performance system,

xD

Well razu, what about writing about making games back then compared to making
games today being an indie developer? Especially considering how things have
changed for the good and the bad and vise versa. Sort of an article that ties
some strings from the past to the present with respect to game development
from your very perspective -- would be cool!

Interesting! Indie dev now feels a lot like pro-dev back then. The work required to get a feature up and running in a full, modern project is immense! Something I would like changed!

Saganator

There are weird crashes here and there, remember to save often. Seems like I get the most crashes when placing/removing many objects in the room editor. I've been using GM for my little project. I'd say I'm on the cusp of beginner to novice in C++/C#. I find GML very easy to to use, although a bit clunky. There is no overloading, constructors, classes, and the hierarchy takes some getting use to. I could see a large project getting very messy and unorganized, so if you make the switch to GM, keeping the project organized within GM should be a priority. The documentation has answered most of my questions and everything else is figured out with google and youtube. Some really great games have been made with GM, so there is no reason why you and your team can't.

Jack_AG

Banned
There are weird crashes here and there, remember to save often. Seems like I get the most crashes when placing/removing many objects in the room editor. I've been using GM for my little project. I'd say I'm on the cusp of beginner to novice in C++/C#. I find GML very easy to to use, although a bit clunky. There is no overloading, constructors, classes, and the hierarchy takes some getting use to. I could see a large project getting very messy and unorganized, so if you make the switch to GM, keeping the project organized within GM should be a priority. The documentation has answered most of my questions and everything else is figured out with google and youtube. Some really great games have been made with GM, so there is no reason why you and your team can't.
Thanks for the heads-up. We talked earlier and decided we'd gun for GM. I have been scanning the docs most of the day and I find they are pretty good to start with. I'm still a bit perplexed with rooms and views. I have read some games bog down with large rooms but it shouldn't be too much of an issue with tilesets and object management. No need for everything to be spawned and awake the entire time in a room. I'm guessing some people use too many objects. Rule of thumb even in Unity for me was to instantiate off screen when close every chance I had to keep object activity to a minimum.

We are taking the next few weeks to test dummy projects then bringing everything over from the main 2D project to GM.

Turfster

Sigh. All my animations work, except one that just does... nothing for a long time, then flashes to the final frame and freezes there... except sometimes it just does nothing and stays in T-pose. WTF, Mecanim?
Problem was solved by hooking the camera up to another (identical) mesh with the same settings. Time to stop for the day, I think, before I go even crazier.

_machine

I really, really should post more here, but for some reason end up just lurking around. I rarely log-in though, so I should probably do that more often too.

Anyway, is anyone here going to Casual Connect Amsterdam? I'll be volunteering there on the first day (at the Indie Prize stand, showing off some other people's games) and partly on behalf of a friend's company. Unfortunately I have really little of my own to show yet (our current project will be released free on WP8 by summer though and I'll be going to Singapore for the summer for a commercial project), but it's great to do some networking anyway and traveling is like one of the greatest things ever.

Also, if there are any locals here, I'd love some tips on what to visit in Amsterdam. Probably won't have that much free time during the trip, but I'll try to include some cultural activities so it's not just work and party hard ;)

So in my previous post I talked about experimenting with art styles , this time I am trying to go for minimalistic style, I'm not an artist so I never know what good colours e.t.c work well so this is just a work in progress.

minimalistturnbased.png

Jarekx

ZtKExyp.gif

The arms feel off to me. I can't really seem to get them right. I'll probably take a break and come back with some fresh eyes later.

So I feel like getting my idea out there....here it goes.

What is it?

It's a Metroid-style sidescrolling exploration game, with a twist. Rather than going with traditional action combat found in most games like this, I'm opting for a turn-based system.

The combat will be vaguely reminiscent of Press Turn from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Basically, you will start the battle with a certain number of Action Points. AP dictates any action you do. So attack, defend, and all skills have an associated AP Cost that you must pay to perform that action. You can perform as many actions per turn as long you have the AP to do so. This will allow you to perform combo attacks, which are basically just an extra attack for performing certain actions in a sequence within that turn. So if... we have Fire + Attack set as a combo, it will perform some special attack for more damage and more importantly, an added effect. These effects will range from simple poisoning to impairing AP Regeneration. There also going to be elemental weakness' that will remove turn points from the enemy if hit, or vice versa if yours is hit. There is actually a bit more planned, but these are basic tenants of the combat system which won't really change too much.

Combat is definitely the most fleshed out of my ideas but I know one other design decision I've made is I want any items or skills you obtain to have a use inside and outside of combat. So you get a new weapon, it may provide a double jump. You learn fire, you can burn down that obstacle in your way or initiate combat from a range.

I feel the hardest thing to manage to do is nail pacing between combat, exploration, and platforming. I want combat to be quick so that it doesn't slow it down too much, but that may not be enough. I've got a couple more ideas on how to solve that, but I won't bore anyone who decided to read this any longer. ;)

Jack_AG

Banned
ZtKExyp.gif

The arms feel off to me. I can't really seem to get them right. I'll probably take a break and come back with some fresh eyes later.

So I feel like getting my idea out there....here it goes.

What is it?

It's a Metroid-style sidescrolling exploration game, with a twist. Rather than going with traditional action combat found in most games like this, I'm opting for a turn-based system.

The combat will be vaguely reminiscent of Press Turn from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Basically, you will start the battle with a certain number of Action Points. AP dictates any action you do. So attack, defend, and all skills have an associated AP Cost that you must pay to perform that action. You can perform as many actions per turn as long you have the AP to do so. This will allow you to perform combo attacks, which are basically just an extra attack for performing certain actions in a sequence within that turn. So if... we have Fire + Attack set as a combo, it will perform some special attack for more damage and more importantly, an added effect. These effects will range from simple poisoning to impairing AP Regeneration. There also going to be elemental weakness' that will remove turn points from the enemy if hit, or vice versa if yours is hit. There is actually a bit more planned, but these are basic tenants of the combat system which won't really change too much.

Combat is definitely the most fleshed out of my ideas but I know one other design decision I've made is I want any items or skills you obtain to have a use inside and outside of combat. So you get a new weapon, it may provide a double jump. You learn fire, you can burn down that obstacle in your way or initiate combat from a range.

I feel the hardest thing to manage to do is nail pacing between combat, exploration, and platforming. I want combat to be quick so that it doesn't slow it down too much, but that may not be enough. I've got a couple more ideas on how to solve that, but I won't bore anyone who decided to read this any longer. ;)
Interesting idea. I like it. As for the sprite I feel 2 things: he is upright just a bit too much, maybe a slight lean forward and as for his arms, I dont believe they need that much sway, if any. Other than that it looks excellent. A little bit of a lean would accentuate forward momentum visually and less swaying of arms would be an indicator of strength and purpose of character. The current animation makes it seem like he is running FROM something and not actively trying to engage in persistence of movement.

Just my opinion, I dont know much about your character or what he stands for so I am unable to give an accurate assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom