• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDarkness

Working on a new video for my Kickstarter. I think this one may work better for what we're trying to accomplish and I hope it connects with folks. None of this is an exact science, but I feel I've learned a lot in how these things go. Getting feedback is good, but I think getting the RIGHT feedback is better. Here's hoping for the best.

_machine

Check it out!
https://twitter.com/AppStore/status/456089175268536320

Hopefully this will be a big bump in sales...
That's awesome, hopefully it'll result in a big bump.

In other news, my friends over at TJR locked down the date for Interplanetary Early Access Release:
BlRfmkeCEAAuNsF.jpg:large

Raide

Diablo style is almost exactly what I'm going for although I didn't know that until you brought it up! I plan on doing a lot of the noises, the way I see it, that's half the fun :)

Nice work! Keep everyone updated how you get on.

It is always great to see people have a go at making a game of their own. It does get me to get off my ass and do something. :D

fin

Thanks everyone! Games been selling pretty good on iOS. Android is just....bad. Something like 5-10% iOS sales.

Still not quitting the day job :p.

ZehDon

Meanwhile....
gbu40sH.png
Well, thanks for your previous post. I'll show the problems I'm having with ordered dithering on my end, and see what you think. Getting dithering to occur in-and-of-itself isn't the core of my problem, the Wiki article's pseudo-code was pretty helpful in that regard. My issue stems from getting it to look clean, like the image you've posted.
dithering-1024x592.jpg

This is 8x8 ordered dithering. As you can see, I lose all solid colours. This is what I meant by its just not working: it's "dithering" but its more like fake dithering, rather than the real dithering you've put together. Any ideas where I might be going wrong, or could read up about how to fix this?

edit:
Haha, I think I've figured it out. The way your image kept solid colours led me to my threshold incorporation. My mistake, it seems, was that I was calculating for each R,G and B component individually, instead of the colour as a whole. This is what it looks like now:
final.png

Which isn't too bad. I'm gonna mess around with the palette and the gamma correction a little bit. Do you mind if I borrow your bucket analogy in the future? I actually found that quite helpful.

friken

Thanks everyone! Games been selling pretty good on iOS. Android is just....bad. Something like 5-10% iOS sales.

Glad to hear it is selling well on ios. Congrats.

Pretty common for android sales to be a small % compared to ios.

ZehDon

Congratulations, glad to hear its selling well! That's all I hear about Android. That, and the piracy is pretty crazy. So, are you not quitting your day job because you've made so much money on sales that it has affected your decision making? :p

fin

Congratulations, glad to hear its selling well! That's all I hear about Android. That, and the piracy is pretty crazy. So, are you not quitting your day job because you've made so much money on sales that it has affected your decision making? :p

Well it isn't doing crazy well. So ya still need the regular income...But considering it could've just sold to a handful of friends, I'm happy with it so far. I think it's number 24 on best new games in the US.

Got a bunch of feedback too which is great. But I wish I had all this feedback before release. Next game I'm gonna be a lot more transparent during development releasing builds on indiedb.

Ill probably do an update next month though we'll see.

Raxious

So guys, I have a question. I'm working with a group on a small game as a school project, and I was having a discussion about how to start with out level layout.

The game is heavily story driven, so the idea some of us had including myself was that we should first plan out what happens in the level before actually creating the block level.

Now this other guy feels that the block level should be created first, and then the story. What do u guys think?

So guys, I have a question. I'm working with a group on a small game as a school project, and I was having a discussion about how to start with out level layout.

The game is heavily story driven, so the idea some of us had including myself was that we should first plan out what happens in the level before actually creating the block level.

Now this other guy feels that the block level should be created first, and then the story. What do u guys think?

Well, if your game is, as you say, heavily story-driven, it seems to me that the story will dictate what needs to be present in the level so... yeah, I would say story first?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

If the game's main focus is story, making the story first is important. But, here's a tip, I suggest while making the story think of what is possible to do in the level. The story will work better if the game (the level) is connected to the story and not a separate thing, so think of things you can do in the levels to help promote the tone or be part of the story in the level. If the levels feel like they're separate from the story, that can make it harder for gamers to get into a story, especially in say a shorter student project.

Making the levels reflect the story can be as easy as something visual, to the environment in question (obstacles, things in the background, etc), to something interactive. I can think of countless examples already done in games, but sure you can think of some as well. But when making the story, I suggest don't just think of the story as a separate entity, think of how it can tie in with the actual levels and gameplay. Not only will that help the game and its story, but will make work a bit easier as it'd be easier to input something like this when first making the level than altering the level later in to add something like this.

Water

Is there any action or puzzles in the game that actually depend on the layout of the level, or is it just for feels?

If there isn't, then definitely plan the story before starting work on the actual level. Then I'd suggest drawing the level on paper/whiteboard as a graph that shows what spaces/rooms exist, and the connections between them, what key objects/characters are in which spaces, and what the player's intended path through the level is. edit: I mean like a flowchart, or very rough physical shape, rather than going into any detail. Finally you'd go and actually lay out the blocks and add detail in a way that serves and reinforces the story and feel you have planned for the particular space. It doesn't make much sense to design a level in detail before you know what it's supposed to do.

Of course while you're working on that, you should have a few tile rooms where you throw all story-critical objects for testing them, but laying out those test spaces shouldn't take more than half an hour.

If the space is meaningful for action/puzzles/strategy, I'd still do the same but also have some folks working out additional small test spaces for iterating on interesting unique encounters/events without concern where they actually are in the game. The good ones can then be transplanted somewhere into the real level plan.

ZehDon

Trying to get some feedback on my game. Please share if you can.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=802920
I've replied in your thread, but I just wanted to add here in this thread that showing off your campaign before it goes live is never a bad idea. We've got some God-tier developers in this thread, many of whom have run successful crowd-funding campaigns of their own. When I run my own campaign, I'll be begging for their opinions on it before it goes live. Best of luck Darkness!

Water

Now this other guy feels that the block level should be created first, and then the story.
I want to add a partial exception to my previous answer: there can be reasons to draw up rough plans of the level before the story / content planning is anywhere near done. One reason would be if you want to emphasize a sense of real place. Then you might first lay out the location (a mansion, for instance) in a realistic or semi-realistic way, and fit the level flow into it, possibly making some modifications on the way (e.g. adding walls, fences, deciding that a particular door is locked) to limit or increase the player's movement choices and force certain paths.

Even in that case, I'd steer clear of detail until the level flow is pretty firmly established. If you need to test your visual look, graphics tech, etc. that's best done with small designated areas (which may or may not be separate from the actual level content) which get polished to full detail level before any detail work is done on the other 95% of the game.

friken

I've replied in your thread, but I just wanted to add here in this thread that showing off your campaign before it goes live is never a bad idea. We've got some God-tier developers in this thread, many of whom have run successful crowd-funding campaigns of their own. When I run my own campaign, I'll be begging for their opinions on it before it goes live. Best of luck Darkness!

Good point. I've already learned a lot from others on here and will be right there begging for opinions before our ks campaign too. All the info can be maddening at times. Too little info is bad, too much info is bad. Too early in dev is bad, tool late in dev is worse (why do you need money if almost done), etc etc etc.

I look forward to seeing the updated video Darkness, and hope your campaign gets you to the funding.

Turfster

Anyone currently messing with Unity on Vita? I got all registered and set yesterday but can't touch it till my Windows PC comes back.

I got my publisher license yesterday and tested a game build on the Vita.
The build process is pretty fiddly at the moment, and the key generation sometimes fails for no reason, but you just have to try again.
Also, first run loading another level took a really long time (like two minutes or something, where you have absolutely no feedback from the device on what's happening), but that was mitigated the next runs, where it was like 5 seconds.

Need to experiment more.

missile

Yeah man! Double-classic!! Just need to work in the utah teapot and you're set! :D
This! :+

65402-dear-god-its-beautiful-mugatu-Zmxe.gif

Is this a two pass shader? One for the hatch, one for the color? If so, that's cheating ;) If not... damn.
Nope, it's the real deal. A linear congruent generator goes straight into the
dither generator manipulating its threshold delivering an index for the right
color to shade the pixel with. xD

... This is what it looks like now:
final.png

Which isn't too bad. I'm gonna mess around with the palette and the gamma correction a little bit. ...
Your are getting there! :+ Mind giving me the original RGB picture, want to
dither around with it a little further. Well, I love dithering. My Retro Engine
will make use of it at its finest.

... Do you mind if I borrow your bucket analogy in the future? I actually found that quite helpful.
You can use it if you have understood how it works. Well, dithering isn't so
well explained on the web, just some standard cases with some cool stuff
locked away in papers. It's difficult for people to dither for example on an
index table like a color palette for example. However, the little explanation
I've given is a powerful one. With it you can dither the whole planet!

Here we go...

Lena_constant.gif

constant

Lena_d2x2.gif

Bayer 2x2

Lena_rnd.gif

random

Lena_stripes90.gif

artistic

D ... like Dither!

Yeah...

razu

Just get in contact with Google. I mailed them.. then, out of the blue, they contacted me and featured Chopper Mike. Bit of beer money.

Congrats on finishing and selling your game though dude, that's a big step! :D

BfcMgvc.png

Dither For Life™

YES!!

This! :+

Nope, it's the real deal. A linear congruent generator goes straight into the
dither generator manipulating its threshold delivering an index for the right
color to shade the pixel with. xD

Your are getting there! :+ Mind giving me the original RGB picture, want to
dither around with it a little further. Well, I love dithering. My Retro Engine
will make use of it at its finest.

You can use it if you have understood how it works. Well, dithering isn't so
well explained on the web, just some standard cases with some cool stuff
locked away in papers. It's difficult for people to dither for example on an
index table like a color palette for example. However, the little explanation
I've given is a powerful one. With it you can dither the whole planet!

Here we go...

Lena_constant.gif

constant

Lena_d2x2.gif

Bayer 2x2

Lena_rnd.gif

random

Lena_stripes90.gif

artistic

D ... like Dither!

Yeah...

Dude, you got skills! :D

Turfster

So uh, if anyone else uses DFGUI with Unity:
The proxy property/data binding does not check if the control is enabled/visible, so it tries to update every frame, which can lead to all sorts of errors as it tries to access data that might not exist yet/no longer exists.
Thankfully, it was a pretty easy fix to make.

ZehDon

Nope, it's the real deal. A linear congruent generator goes straight into the dither generator manipulating its threshold delivering an index for the right color to shade the pixel with... You can use it if you have understood how it works.
At the moment, in terms of a straightforward 2x2 bayer dither like mine, it makes total sense. In terms of the Gameboy palette, there are four buckets in a line. The threshold determines if the current pixel belongs in the next bucket in the line, or the one it currently is in, based on a modulus operation on the x/y co-ords of the colour components sampled over the threshold map.
However, in terms of being able to freely manipulate the process like yourself, I'm still getting my head around the specifics. Modulus operated thresholds are still abstract to me, frankly. I'm reading up on it as much as I can, and have found a couple of excellent write ups that break down different methods and ways to dither, and why it functions as it does. I suspect it'll be a while before I understand completely.

... Mind giving me the original RGB picture, want to dither around with it a little further...
My image was taken in-game, I didn't dither a static frame. Feel free to grab any of the screenshots on my website and play around. I'll look forward to seeing the magic you'll weave!

ZehDon

Hey everyone. Just wanted to show off our new video before I head off to work.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/649312251/skullforge-the-hunt?ref=live

I think this one works better and explains the game in a simple way. Hope you like it.
I have concluded scientifically that your new video is 2,156% better than your previous one. Great job Darkness! It feels very indie, but it conveys the game in a significantly better way, and I understand what Skullforge is about now. Name dropping the classics at the start grabbed my attention (Secret of Evermore 4 Life) but seeing the combat system and hearing you explain everything is what makes it all work so well. Good luck with the campaign moving forward, I hope it all goes well!

fin

The proxy property/data binding does not check if the control is enabled/visible, so it tries to update every frame, which can lead to all sorts of errors as it tries to access data that might not exist yet/no longer exists.

Yeah I read that the Rust dev's are switching (or have switched) from NGUI to DFGUI. I haven't done much reading on it. Have you used both? How do they compare?

Turfster

Yeah I read that the Rust dev's are switching (or have switched) from NGUI to DFGUI. I haven't done much reading on it. Have you used both? How do they compare?

I've only used DFGUI, because it had the property binding stuff included without having to buy a plugin by another company, like you seem to need to for NGUI.

It's... not bad, much better than the Unity GUI (naturally, since that's a big pile of what the fuck were you thinking, seriously dudes you should be ashamed of yourselves and fuck you for making everyone that wants to make editor plugins use it) and you can make really cool GUIs (both 2D and 3D), but you spend a lot of time writing interfacing code to get data into them. Also, there are some strange bugs/oversights, like the one I mentioned before.

Still, you have the source code, and can fix things up... or dive into it to figure out how stuff works, because the examples included are purely flash and don't actually have any "real" data integration in them.

EDarkness

I have concluded scientifically that your new video is 2,156% better than your previous one. Great job Darkness! It feels very indie, but it conveys the game in a significantly better way, and I understand what Skullforge is about now. Name dropping the classics at the start grabbed my attention (Secret of Evermore 4 Life) but seeing the combat system and hearing you explain everything is what makes it all work so well. Good luck with the campaign moving forward, I hope it all goes well!

Man, you don't know how happy this makes me. I'm glad this one has been better received.

I got my publisher license yesterday and tested a game build on the Vita.
The build process is pretty fiddly at the moment, and the key generation sometimes fails for no reason, but you just have to try again.
Also, first run loading another level took a really long time (like two minutes or something, where you have absolutely no feedback from the device on what's happening), but that was mitigated the next runs, where it was like 5 seconds.

Need to experiment more.

Hmm hopefully it gets cleaned up but I expect it to be once it's more officially integrated within unity

I actually have DFGUI and I planned on using it for my next GUI. Thanks for the heads up -- did you alert the devs so they can fix it? They seem pretty active on their forums.

Hopefully if I run up against this, I'll remember this is here.

Turfster

I actually have DFGUI and I planned on using it for my next GUI. Thanks for the heads up -- did you alert the devs so they can fix it? They seem pretty active on their forums.

Hopefully if I run up against this, I'll remember this is here.
Not yet, needed to check how it influenced the rest of the game first, see if it introduced new bugs/weird behaviour.

Noaksey

Neo Member
Hey Indie folk, Noaksey again it's been a while, everytime I log on to NeoGAF a ton of things have happened and it's like o_O what the hell!

Just to reintroduce myself I am an Indie Blogger / YouTuber really keen to showcase Indie stuff on my blog / channel as much as I can

Check out my site http://Noaksey.com and click the Contact Me, form if you have a project you want to showcase or like free feedback on :)

Maybe hopefully you guys will recognize me one day >.<

Cheers for reading this

Noaksey
http://about.me/Noaksey

friken

Odd, my scientific calculation says it is 3,057% better. Joking aside, way to go eDarkness! I know how hard it is to put blood sweat and tears into something and get nothing but crickets chirping -- terrible feeling. Taking the hard look at it, listening to feedback, and revising the pitch paid off. I think the redo of the video is a massive improvement and I look forward to hearing how it gets your ks back on track to successful funding!

missile

Check it out!
https://twitter.com/AppStore/status/456089175268536320

Hopefully this will be a big bump in sales...
Congrats! :+

Launched a Easter event for my game today:
backforesteaster.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CoKCSQGDKY
It features randomly generated bunny masks that you can find in randomly generated giant eggs.
Really funny! For PS3, too?

YES!!

Dude, you got skills! :D
And that's not even a fraction of what's coming. Ha!

If we extract the waveform from the artistic dither will we hear a secret message?
I'm pretty sure you will here something.
Noise. :D

I'm interested in what the waveform is as well.

Is it the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything?
Which is already known.
42. :D

... However, in terms of being able to freely manipulate the process like yourself, I'm still getting my head around the specifics. Modulus operated thresholds are still abstract to me, frankly. I'm reading up on it as much as I can, and have found a couple of excellent write ups that break down different methods and ways to dither, and why it functions as it does. I suspect it'll be a while before I understand completely. ...
The standard work is Digital Halftoning by Robert Ulichney. Pretty good.
Yet if you really want to understand dithering much better such that you
will be able to construct your own methods etc., you better get to know about
dithering independent of any specific usage case, since the process itself has
a-priory nothing to do with image processing etc. (Btw; dithering is also used
in sound design and filtering.) And to do so one should start pretty low in
using the bucket analogy as I explained recently and try for example to dither
between numbers while tinkering around with the threshold and observe how the
results will change. Yet finding good thresholding techniques is an entire
different story and will be answered in the book given above.

... My image was taken in-game, I didn't dither a static frame. Feel free to grab any of the screenshots on my website and play around. I'll look forward to seeing the magic you'll weave!
Will do more so if I come back to dithering within my engine. I've worked out
many cool things waiting to get on the screen with regard to dithering and
friends, but I need to work more on the CRT simulator. Combining the CRT with
dithering is what I am after ... in 3D. 8)

Turfster

More DFGUI bugs/stupid behavior:
Tabs, instead of using the TabIndex/OnTabIndexChanged value/event, also use SelectedIndex/OnSelectedIndexChanged. If you have anything else with OSIC events, like listboxes, it'll trickle down to them since it's their parent... so switching tabs, tries to switch index of your listbox... which is bad.

EDarkness

Odd, my scientific calculation says it is 3,057% better. Joking aside, way to go eDarkness! I know how hard it is to put blood sweat and tears into something and get nothing but crickets chirping -- terrible feeling. Taking the hard look at it, listening to feedback, and revising the pitch paid off. I think the redo of the video is a massive improvement and I look forward to hearing how it gets your ks back on track to successful funding!

Thanks, man. The biggest problem is getting coverage. Can't even get noticed by indie games sites. But we're working on it.

I updated the Skullforge Kickstarter page. It's a lot cleaner and more direct.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/649312251/skullforge-the-hunt

Hey Indie folk, Noaksey again it's been a while, everytime I log on to NeoGAF a ton of things have happened and it's like o_O what the hell!

Just to reintroduce myself I am an Indie Blogger / YouTuber really keen to showcase Indie stuff on my blog / channel as much as I can

Check out my site http://Noaksey.com and click the Contact Me, form if you have a project you want to showcase or like free feedback on :)

Maybe hopefully you guys will recognize me one day >.<

Cheers for reading this

Noaksey
http://about.me/Noaksey

I tried to contact you, but it wouldn't let me send you an e-mail.

Thanks, man. The biggest problem is getting coverage. Can't even get noticed by indie games sites. But we're working on it.

I updated the Skullforge Kickstarter page. It's a lot cleaner and more direct.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/649312251/skullforge-the-hunt

Yeah I'd say 2 things - actively look for let's players/small indie/PC based sites. Send them your build immediately.

Also, shorten your initial pitch video to a minute or so with nothing but the best footage. You need to sell how dope your game is in a short time, you can do an update with a shorter video later.

I think your game looks dope, and just needs some OOMPH behind it.

Good luck sir!

Also, even with coverage from sites your game can be unsuccessful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom