• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
I'm incredibly excited about the new trailer we made! Enjoy: http://stolencouchgames.com/castawayparadise/news/trailer-shows-awesome-customization/

10151838_749518345081993_3879261283547727672_n.jpg

Sooo prettyyy :D

shipwalk8s.gif

sometimes you have to take it in!

What the hell. I ripped a 30 second video with my mighty unregistered fraps to quickly show a friend how the dialogue looks, and I figure there's no harm in showing it here.

I really am home stretch on the *actual* video (and it won't be made with unregistered fraps). In it we'll see more enemies, moves, areas, characters, it'll probably be over 10 minutes long.

for now, here's how dialogue works feel free to make fun of the placeholder VO by myself.

unlisted youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ5kUI6nftQ

Reading and watching your progression, your ups and downs, the little victories and defeats along the journey - it's inspiring to an amateur like me. The "game" that I'm attempting is a messy piece of ugly but watching others' games' growth from beginning to end is inspiring and recharging, even to a stranger on the internet such me. Thanks for posting your development updates. It seems you have a winner in your hands. Good luck!

So, I've been held back from working on any of my game ideas due to me being unable to come up with an art style that I like and can recreate consistently throughout the game, but I think I've cracked it.

I tested out a really simple orthographic hand-drawn style, which I loved (img 1), but while I could've gotten past the one or two problems with that format (overlapping and the like) if Unity ever does make it to the 3DS I'd have no hope of porting the game with 3D support.

So, I tested it with a very simple 3D model, but it ended up looking terrible (img 2), although it's to be expected since the image was meant as a texture for a flat plane, so I took to redrawing the building at a higher resolution, and in different parts, and ended up with img 3, which looks good in both orthographic and perspective views, and works perfectly.

There's still a few problems, such as the actual textures and workflow (I drew the separate parts on the textures from the same 45 degree view), so I'll need to try a few alternate methods (drawing the textures flat, or using Blender's texture projection feature) to see if it's easier/faster, but other than possibly the colouring used (I'd like to try a waterpaint style, maybe) this will probably be the style I use for whatever game I work on in the future.

Awesome, hand drawn style is beautiful and dearly lacking in the industry. Go with pencil, watercolor, whatever. It's just eye-catching and has that personal touch that photographed textures lack.

I assume you're using an edge detection shader? If it isn't a custom built one, do you mind sharing which it is? The random thickness of the outline works very well. I would want that kind of edge detection in my "hand drawn" game. "Paper to monitor" graphics are too rare. Even if it is all done in Photoshop, it works with right artist.
So, which shader? ;)

shipwalk8s.gif

What the hell. I ripped a 30 second video with my mighty unregistered fraps to quickly show a friend how the dialogue looks, and I figure there's no harm in showing it here.

I really am home stretch on the *actual* video (and it won't be made with unregistered fraps). In it we'll see more enemies, moves, areas, characters, it'll probably be over 10 minutes long.

for now, here's how dialogue works feel free to make fun of the placeholder VO by myself.

Looking better and better. Really dig that Dark souls vibe.

shipwalk8s.gif

I can't believe you were going to make this a free browser game. Look at what it is becoming.

Where did you record? That "placeholder" VO sounds great. I honestly thought it was a professional. I would probably keep it for the final game, to be honest.

Jobbs

Banned
thanks again to everyone who said nice stuff, it really does give me a little boost. :)

I can't believe you were going to make this a free browser game. Look at what it is becoming.

Where did you record? That "placeholder" VO sounds great. I honestly thought it was a professional. I would probably keep it for the final game, to be honest.

I haven't fully cast the game, although there are a few people already hooked into it and some have already recorded some stuff, and it's all really good. This particular character I only recently decided would be visited in the upcoming video, so I had to quickly come up with some VO and stuck my own voice in there for now. I didn't think it was any good, but I'd consider leaving it if you guys think it's okay. That said, if you think that's okay, I think you'll really like the other VO that's going to be in the video, because it's by someone waaaay better at it than I am.

re. where it was recorded, I did it here in the basement with my audio technica at2035. it goes into an alesis multimix 8 usb mixer.

Makai

Because I am making an abstract strategy game, I think the design of my units should strike a balance between simplicity and distinguishability. Here are my first attempts, designed in code rather than a modeling suite. All are partial cumulations of the platonic solids.

missile

Because I am making an abstract strategy game, I think the design of my units should strike a balance between simplicity and distinguishability. Here are my first attempts, designed in code rather than a modeling suite. All are partial cumulations of the platonic solids.
Cool thing would be if the solids do transform in the game to show new skill
level, evolution, strength, or anything else.

And then do a 'degauss' feature! :D
Yeah! This feature is definitely on my list! I think it can be put to good
use. :+

screenshot Saturday

Ship upgrades will be shown inside the ship with new modules, consoles and other features, just a quick image showing a crew member patching a hole on the floor.

InsideShipGameplayFixing.png

Couldn't do much this week to show, since most of the stuff is for internal management and AI and still playing with illumination.

Pehesse

Screenshot saturday!

Still deep in animation hell, but I'm seeing the end of the tunnel, only a couple more to go. After that it's back to the game itself, finally! And a lot of animation fine-tuning, probably. But in the meantime, here's a small, small taste.

CuC80NA.gif

Hopefully it's not too compressed/small and you can still figure out what's going on in there...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So, these two days we've had a bunch of private showings for Dudebro II around PAX. Bringing along a playable build was decided at the very last minute, just a few days earlier, but it was rewarded by lots of invaluable feedback. Heartfelt thanks to everyone involved.

I've sent personal invites to a few GAFfers to try out the game, and I'd like to thank them, even those unable to participate, for their enthusiasm and kind words. I would have liked to get in touch with many more, but unfortunately it wasn't feasible. Hopefully next time we'll be able to do so :)

jrDev

Hey guys, is it ok to post about a Unity Asset I've developed while making my game that is now available on the Asset Store? I've decided to make it universal so anyone who wants a jump start in creating a combo system for any game can use this.

Makai

Hey guys, is it ok to post about a Unity Asset I've developed while making my game that is now available on the Asset Store? I've decided to make it universal so anyone who wants a jump start in creating a combo system for any game can use this.
Yes

jrDev

Cool!

GAC (Great Animation Combos) System is a tool to help add a combo system to your Unity3D 2D/3D games. Here is the Asset Store Link for a slew of information, docs and videos. Any gaffers interested can PM me for a 50% code on the Sellfy website, just for fellow gaffers.

Here is a simple Demo also that I created in just a few minutes with the system.

Bishop89

How do I go about making the assets for my game? (Background , sprites etc..)

Do I need to make them as BIG AS POSSIBLE so that I can adapt them to different platforms (mobile, pc etc..) ?

Whats a good recommended room height and width when aiming for mobile platforms?

Blizzard

Banned
As always my screenshot Saturday post is early Sunday morning instead. >_>

sat1wrpoq.png

Pixel art continues to be hard and some days I don't want to do it but I continue with the struggle, figuring if I ever give up the habit it will stop for good!

Noogy

So, these two days we've had a bunch of private showings for Dudebro II around PAX. Bringing along a playable build was decided at the very last minute, just a few days earlier, but it was rewarded by lots of invaluable feedback. Heartfelt thanks to everyone involved.

I've sent personal invites to a few GAFfers to try out the game, and I'd like to thank them, even those unable to participate, for their enthusiasm and kind words. I would have liked to get in touch with many more, but unfortunately it wasn't feasible. Hopefully next time we'll be able to do so :)

Sounds awesome, wish I could be there :) Glad it's showing well for you!

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
After about 6 months of testing, I'm finally getting out of the prototyping stage and into building the proper game. I really want to get a demo up and running within two months time.

Jobbs

Banned

aye, sorry I couldn't make it to PAX, if I was there I woulda come checked ya out. :)

Decided to through up a video today for Screenshot Saturday. I only woke up two hours ago, so I'll hopefully get a lot more done today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQMY7d89MOY

It showcases some of the thirteen enemy types I've got so far.

I like how this is coming along. I'm seeing nicer colors and contrast than I recall from earlier versions. I dig the player animations, nice run cycle, and I like how the sword seems to be pretty consistent when you do different animations, like ledge grabbing. Did you use spine or spriter or something like that?

Five

Banned
I like how this is coming along. I'm seeing nicer colors and contrast than I recall from earlier versions. I dig the player animations, nice run cycle, and I like how the sword seems to be pretty consistent when you do different animations, like ledge grabbing. Did you use spine or spriter or something like that?

Thanks, Jobbs! Yeah, I'm using Spine. Before, I had been hard-coding 2D models for characters and lots of other really terrible ideas, but about two or three weeks ago official support for Spine came to GameMaker and I decided it was time for a fresh coat of paint. So a better color palette, improved character designs, et cetera.

desu

Decided to through up a video today for Screenshot Saturday. I only woke up two hours ago, so I'll hopefully get a lot more done today.

It showcases some of the thirteen enemy types I've got so far.

The tree at the end that kept on crawling made me laugh, awesome :).

Ecto311

Anyone have any recommended videos on youtube or other sites for learning unity 2d for a side scroller game. There are a ton of them out there and I was wondering if anyone has a fav or the best of the bunch to check out for a complete new person to unity.

Pehesse

Here's a video to better showcase Honey's latest progress, rather than a small GIF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rELnkPXAhdE&feature=youtu.be

(and a small preview of one of the latest moves showcased inside)

tumblr_inline_n3oecyV3jV1rfzuuq.gif

All that earlier talk about amateur art has me kind of worried of where I'm heading with this?
I'm in the mindset of getting the bulk of the assets/game done and then tweaking what doesn't work during assembly, even if doesn't end up to be the prettiest/most fluid animation out there (I'm not an animator after all), but I'm not sure where I'm actually standing already.

I'd love to hear your feedback if you have any, fellow indie-dev-gaf !

I've still got at least a couple of weeks/months of work to go on that section of the game, and then it will be the visual novel segment, so expect lots of character dialogue boxes, backgrounds and the like, while I get the first player feedback on the 1vs1 fighting segments.

razu

I've implemented the weirdest thing. You can now rope-swing basketballs into this hoop in Super Something Squad™.

I think I'll make it an occasional event, like in Animal Crossing. Sometimes you'll start the game up and it'll be there for the day. More hoops you shoot, the more wangs you earn.

It's difficult to start with, but the better you get with whipping the rope around, the more satisfying it is to see a three pointer land in the hoop :D

Also has turrets, fluttering foliage, big wangable cube, and other bits...

Playable demo, with release notes, at: vamflax.com/

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
hey guys, here's something our very own Sonic Ether is currently working on :) and yes - it is, in fact, made with Unity :)

2014-04-13_210419.jpg
2014-04-13_210446.jpg
2014-04-13_210519.jpg

razu

Needs a Deus Ex sting if you sink the ball ;)

Heh, yeah, I'm going to add scoring detection and a score counter next week. Will need suitable sfx!! :D

hey guys, here's something our very own Sonic Ether is currently working on :) and yes - it is, in fact, made with Unity :)

2014-04-13_210419.jpg
2014-04-13_210446.jpg
2014-04-13_210519.jpg

Looks rad man. They should show this to people who say, "Yeah, I thought it looked like it was made in Unity". I've put together so many gnarly things in Unity that look so weird. It's like a shader playground where all the boring cross-platform guff is done for you!

In other news, I have a facebook page for Super Something Squad™! Likes would be.. liked! ;D

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Looks rad man. They should show this to people who say, "Yeah, I thought it looked like it was made in Unity". I've put together so many gnarly things in Unity that look so weird. It's like a shader playground where all the boring cross-platform guff is done for you!

yeah, pretty much :) sure - it's more difficult to make good looking stuff in Unity (compared to UE4 or CE3) but if someone knows what he's doing - it's definitely possible :) and thanks :D

Five

Banned

Fantastic work! What game is this for?

Here's a video to better showcase Honey's latest progress, rather than a small GIF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rELnkPXAhdE&feature=youtu.be

(and a small preview of one of the latest moves showcased inside)

tumblr_inline_n3oecyV3jV1rfzuuq.gif

All that earlier talk about amateur art has me kind of worried of where I'm heading with this?

Your art looks good. Don't worry. Flashes and hitsparks and stuff will at a lot of oomph, but the base art is on key. Though I have to ask, is the YT video running slower than it should (did recording slow down the game)? Because I think it should be sped up slightly otherwise.

The tree at the end that kept on crawling made me laugh, awesome :).

Heh, yeah. I"m trying to do location-aware damage, and I had drawn the arms above the cut-off level, so I had a moment of inspiration while animating. Oh my gosh, it could still be alive afterward!

fin

Cool!

GAC (Great Animation Combos) System is a tool to help add a combo system to your Unity3D 2D/3D games. Here is the Asset Store Link for a slew of information, docs and videos. Any gaffers interested can PM me for a 50% code on the Sellfy website, just for fellow gaffers.

Here is a simple Demo also that I created in just a few minutes with the system.

This looks cool. I was thinking about a beat'em up for my next game. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Pehesse

Your art looks good. Don't worry. Flashes and hitsparks and stuff will at a lot of oomph, but the base art is on key. Though I have to ask, is the YT video running slower than it should (did recording slow down the game)? Because I think it should be sped up slightly otherwise.

Thanks!
You're right, I should get to adding those extra effects soon, it's really lacking right now.
As for the YT framerate, I think it's looking choppier than the game itself - though I can always try to speed up the real thing as well, of course. I'll give it a try!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm interested in making a 2D game.... Is Unity's recent 2D game support advisable? Or would I be better off with a different game engine?

It is a plus that I can probably adapt what I've learned making 2D games in Unity to making 3D games in the same program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom