• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pehesse

Oh, okay then. I assumed you were putting the animation together by moving the parts in a different way. Yeah, a little bit of hip movement from the left fighter's size could help immensely, imho. But on the overall, your art direction is still cool, so keep that up! :)

Duly noted! And thanks :)

Something I love about jamming is I get to experiment with new things in an abbreviated period. One of the experiments I had last weekend was working with super-exaggerated body proportions (picture here: http://abebly.com/files/devScreen02.png) and basically I'm in love.

Anyway, I'm bringing this up because it's made me contemplate redoing some of the art in my main game. So I've got my new mock-up on the left and the original design on the right and I'd love if I could get some input regarding the new style.

Comparison.png

Thoughts?

Yeah I like the one on the left better. Feels like she has more personality

Anustart

Part of the solution is stating the problem quite well. Is the problem 2d or
3d? What exactly do you mean by facing; to look at from a given point of an
object at another point of another object?

I figured it out. Used Quaternion.FromToRotation() Was wanting to have an object's forward rotate to face another, but the obvious solution of LookRotation wasn't working because I'm not on the correct plane to use it. FromTo solved it though :)

Added a new screenshot to my Steam page this weekend after I realized people thought the game was dead. Guess I haven't been doing a great job keeping the media updated, oops!

To be fair though, been working on some super cool stuff that I want to be *just* right before I announced it. I tend to favor holding off on showing things until they're worth seeing. First impressions and all.

14A22D8B094BDA9206C144DF5770E1FEC829C639

Channeling some Silent Hill, it actually gets a lot more Silent Hill than that but showing anything more is a huge spoiler for what I'm working on atm sadly.

A question to any horror fans/devs: How do you deal with your monsters and creepy stuff, when it comes to static media? A large part of horror is fear of the unknown, and showing your creepy enemy in a static screenshot spoils both the surprise of meeting them for the first time, as well as what they look like. Does anyone have an opinion on this sort of thing?

missile

I figured it out. Used Quaternion.FromToRotation() Was wanting to have an object's forward rotate to face another, but the obvious solution of LookRotation wasn't working because I'm not on the correct plane to use it. FromTo solved it though :)
I think you could have basically solved the problem the following way; Given
fromDirection and toDirection you would normalizing both directions and
compute the cross product between the two which would yield the rotation axis,
rot, to rotate about to align fromDirection with toDirection. Given the
rotation axis we also need the angle to be able to rotate the one direction
into the other. The angle is the arcsin of the magnitude of the obtained
rotation vector, i.e. phi = arcsin(|rot|). Now the angle and rotation axis can
be used to create a rotation matrix or quaternion realizing this rotation. The
quaternion is easily constructed, i.e. by normalizing the rotation axis rot
and by

x = rot.x*sin(phi/2)
y = rot.y*sin(phi/2)
z = rot.z*sin(phi/2)
w = cos(phi/2)

while calling Quaternion(x, y, z, w).

The 3x3 matrix is given by ... sorry, am to to lazy writing it down, but will
do if anyone wants to. ;)

Minamu

I posted this in the Programming OT just now but might as well ask here as well.

I've been trying to make a train move in certain paths with something called iTween in Unity for a while now but I can't really get my head around it :lol I'm using the second one, iTween, but a visual scripting tool plugin version of it instead, found both in the asset store. I've set up three individual rudimentary script animations and one of them plays automatically just fine. I'm not sure if this is a good way of doing it but coding a branching path seems even more advanced.

I decided that the moving object could deal with the controller aspect and I've set up a working bool switcher:
Code:
public class TrainController : MonoBehaviour 
{
	public bool changedDirection = false;

void Update()
	{
		if(Input.GetKeyDown("space") && changedDirection == false)
		{
			Debug.Log("success");
			changedDirection = true;
		}
		else if(Input.GetKeyDown("space") && changedDirection == true)
		{
			Debug.Log("reverted");
			changedDirection = false;
		}
	}
}
The idea is to let the player switch a bool and when the object collides with a trigger box, that box will check the bool status and that way continue playing one of the other two animations:

Code:
public class TrainTracker : MonoBehaviour 
{
	public TrainController trainController;

void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
	{
		if(trainController.changedDirection == false)
		{
			//iTweenEvent.GetEvent(GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("trainCart"), "Forward_Crash");
			Debug.Log("false");
		}
		else if(trainController.changedDirection == true)
		{
			//*insert second animation reference here*
			Debug.Log("true");
		}
	}
}
This Debug.Log() code isn't working so I assume connecting an animation to it won't work either for some reason. I also have no idea how to reference the two separate animations or how to get them to play xD There's supposedly a Play() function but I haven't found it. The tutorials on unity3d.com use tags to find objects all the time so that's what I've been trying here as well, via the script names.

The objects in question have their scripts attached of course, and the train has a trigger box as well. When I made the public TrainController in the TrainTracker script, unity is giving me the option to link something to that slot in the editor so I placed the train prefab in it, not that it made any difference. Not sure if it's important that the train doesn't have a rigidbody at the moment.

TL;DR: I want the player to be able to decide which railroad track a train travels on, either continue forward, or take a turn to the side. I have three animations ready: Forward, left turn, and finally continue forward from the crossroads. Could use some help setting it up, if anyone's used iTween or similar before.

Edit: Adding a rigidbody to the train solved the issue of the trigger noticing the train. Now i just need to play the different animations somehow.
Edit2: It looks like shit but it finally works! The animation code was right all along, just need to add ".Play();" after it...

clem84

Gold Member
I have a question. I'm looking to get into developing my own game. I'm just starting out. I have a few ideas for games. Now the programming doesn't scare me. I took a few programming classes in College. Teacher even told me I had a knack for it. I'm not worried about the audio either. At some point I'll just get myself a keyboard, get familiar with the software and start producing some tunes. No worries there.

Now, the graphics part... I honestly have no idea how I'm going to be able to produce something that's at least decent, even pleasant to look at. I can't draw worth s***. I bought a book to learn how to draw. I'm making some small progress but it's very slow. Now this is my question. I'm looking to make a 2D game. SNES type graphics. Kind of like these two projects:

Legend of Iya

Heart Forth Alicia

Now I know that for someone who doesn't draw very well this is a tall order as these 2 games have gorgeous 2D graphics. I just want to get some guidance here. How should I go about it? Should I just learn how to draw on a piece of paper first? Or should I go straight into some 2D creation software and practice there? If so which one? Some suggestions from people who have created 2D graphics for games would be very welcome. :) Thanks.

Now I know that for someone who doesn't draw very well this is a tall order as these 2 games have gorgeous 2D graphics. I just want to get some guidance here. How should I go about it? Should I just learn how to draw on a piece of paper first? Or should I go straight into some 2D creation software and practice there? If so which one? Some suggestions from people who have created 2D graphics for games would be very welcome. :) Thanks.
Just jump straight into pixels. You will still need to learn a lot of the same things as traditional artforms, but there's no big disadvantage to learning them on a computer instead. Keep in mind that the games you referenced have artists with many, many years of experience, and you certainly will not be able to duplicate their product without considerable effort and practice.

Thx Blizzard! I totally forgot about the stupid capital letter in my password <_< Anyways, is it weird I want to experiment and make pixels with deluxe paint?

ZehDon

A question to any horror fans/devs: How do you deal with your monsters and creepy stuff, when it comes to static media? A large part of horror is fear of the unknown, and showing your creepy enemy in a static screenshot spoils both the surprise of meeting them for the first time, as well as what they look like. Does anyone have an opinion on this sort of thing?
Balancing what to show and what not to show isn't too difficult, as long as you understand the atmosphere you're attempting to project. Players need to know what they're getting for their money - selling promises usually means upset players. However, horror fans understand that "less is more", so you'll have a little wiggle room.
My suggestion is only pick a very small number of early-game enemies and use more late game enemies, that surmise or represent the atmosphere of your game, and show off your creature designs. Players are unlikely to be thinking about screenshots and trying to remember what they saw once they're playing, and will forget about the late game enemies you selected until they encounter them. This also preserves the early game experience, ensuring your game makes the best possible first impression.
Great looking game, by the way.

Flai

Hey! I just made a small game in the past two days while I was learning HTML5 and Javascript, check it out: http://flai.me/shanks/

Javascript wasn't nearly as awful as I have thought and stuff thats coming with the ES6 looks pretty good :)

V_Arnold

Hey! I just made a small game in the past two days while I was learning HTML5 and Javascript, check it out: http://flai.me/shanks/

Javascript wasn't nearly as awful as I have thought and stuff thats coming with the ES6 looks pretty good :)

Nice! :D Javascript is indeed great, and it is becoming my favorite language. I do not need strict class architecture. And this is my friend.

Blizzard

Banned
I've been using VIM/GVIM for ages and I still like it as an arcane old-fashioned text editor that can do some things, especially repeated things, very efficiently.

However, Visual Studio is pretty nice for Windows C++ development.

Tragically, using FlashDevelop again for Ludum Dare made me realize how much better all the autocomplete feels in FlashDevelop compared to Visual Studio. Are there any options I can turn on, or open-source plugins for Visual Studio that improve it so you can auto-complete more naturally with case insensitivity and partial matches?

For example, I think in FlashDevelop if you started typing "someObject.hei", and someObject had a member variable named "_roofHeight", that would immediately be suggested as the current autocomplete option. That's super handy!

I hope it's okay to post a shoutout here, but Lo_Fi's Kickstarter for Four Sided Fantasy is in its final few hours, with 7k left to reach its goal. Received a momentous boost in funding on the last day (I don't remember a boost like this since Neverending Nightmares), but still it's going to be close

So, idk, if you could spread the word or something, that would be cool. Really want to see this project succeed.

pixelpai

Neo Member
TRYING TO GET APEXICON TO WORK ON THE WII U

tumblr_inline_mlf6t2ZBZb1qz4rgp.gif

EVERYTHING IS OUT OUT OUT

SLASH AND BURN EVERYTHING

Going-Postal.gif

Can you elaborate a bit more on the problems or aren't you allowed to talk about the difficutlies porting your game. It is written with Construct, isn't it?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So I applied to all three console indie programs back in March for GDC because I didn't know what the plans were to bring my game to consoles, so I wanted to be ready.

That said here's my wait times so far from signup to console kit delivery:

-Nintendo: about a month
-Microsoft: about 2.5 months and counting (just heard from them yesterday)
-Sony: about 4 months and counting (signed NDA months ago, still very backlogged)

I'm not in any hurry to build a console version of my game as I'm really deep into my next one, but I thought this was interesting.

Blizzard

Banned
Can you elaborate a bit more on the problems or aren't you allowed to talk about the difficutlies porting your game. It is written with Construct, isn't it?
I'd have to double check the NDA, but I think pretty much anything about the development tools/environment/hardware/whatever is NDA'd unless you are on the Nintendo developer forums. (and Ashodin, if you have not already posted there, I recommend one of the subforums since someone may be able to provide some tips)

So I applied to all three console indie programs back in March for GDC because I didn't know what the plans were to bring my game to consoles, so I wanted to be ready.

-Sony: about 4 months and counting (signed NDA months ago, still very backlogged)

I'm not in any hurry to build a console version of my game as I'm really deep into my next one, but I thought this was interesting.
I actually just sent in the check for the devkit that I got 6 months ago, so I'm keeping it for better or worse. We'll see if I even ever get a PC game made.

Nintendo has been quite responsive and does seem to be the lowest barrier of entry of the 3 as far as I can tell. The Nintendo guy who hangs out on IRC called recently to see how things were going, and seemed really open to listening to comments/suggestions/whatever.

Obviously I'm biased, and obviously all companies have problems, so all I can really say is that my own experience has been pretty positive.

On an actual game-related note, last night I got pretty close to actually having a playing field rendering for my game. It is going to be sad when I finish it and it turns out to be the sort of thing one should be able to do in a Ludum Dare weekend. :^P

Dascu

Has anyone been in talks with publishers? I might be going to a local indie event with some contact people from publishers around, and I will attempt to pitch Malebolgia. Just wondering a bit what to bring and what to expect.

GulAtiCa

Finally got around to hopefully fixing a bug, and just submitted my game (Wii U, ZaciSa's Last Stand) to Nintendo. Hopefully it will be approved soon.

I'm now kinda in a mood to make a new game in mean time. Thinking of going back to old Unity test game of mine and recreate it in HTML5. A platformer that looks like the gif below:
http://simimage.com/f/au1D3.gif

Obviously I'll have to do a lot of work to get it "better" if I do work on it. Being in pure HTML5 will help me do stuff better and faster.

James Coote

Neo Member
Finally got around to hopefully fixing a bug, and just submitted my game (Wii U, ZaciSa's Last Stand) to Nintendo. Hopefully it will be approved soon.

I'm now kinda in a mood to make a new game in mean time. Thinking of going back to old Unity test game of mine and recreate it in HTML5. A platformer that looks like the gif below:
http://simimage.com/f/au1D3.gif

Obviously I'll have to do a lot of work to get it "better" if I do work on it. Being in pure HTML5 will help me do stuff better and faster.

I'd be interested to know how long the approvals process takes, as I'm hoping to submit my own game at the end of this month. Also curious to know how much you've talked to Nintendo reps and how much support they've given, especially in terms of marketing. In fact got a whole bunch of questions that you probably can't answer in public :p

James Coote

Neo Member

I did the same in September last year. Still not heard back from MS (except to say that I was on the program). I get the impression with both Sony and MS you really need to go to them with a game in hand, and then if they like it, they'll expedite things.

I'd have to double check the NDA, but I think pretty much anything about the development tools/environment/hardware/whatever is NDA'd unless you are on the Nintendo developer forums. (and Ashodin, if you have not already posted there, I recommend one of the subforums since someone may be able to provide some tips)

I actually just sent in the check for the devkit that I got 6 months ago, so I'm keeping it for better or worse. We'll see if I even ever get a PC game made.

Nintendo has been quite responsive and does seem to be the lowest barrier of entry of the 3 as far as I can tell. The Nintendo guy who hangs out on IRC called recently to see how things were going, and seemed really open to listening to comments/suggestions/whatever.

Obviously I'm biased, and obviously all companies have problems, so all I can really say is that my own experience has been pretty positive.

I've had a similar experience with Nintendo (though annoyingly, they won't let me onto the forums because I'm in the "other" indie dev program). I'm currently making a Wii-U game as a result (which will be a WiiU exclusive because I've ended up using wiimotes)

Vark

Nintendo has been super responsive. Took maybe a week before I heard back from them on a dev agreement and maybe a month for a pub agreement.

I noticed with Sony they list a static IP address, how absolute are they on that? I wanted to wait to apply until I got that worked out but I'm dealing with Time Warner and they're absolute nightmares to deal with.

Hey guys!

Anybody going to GDC Europe this August?

Is it worth it going with the Independent Games Summit Pass? (All Access Pass is way way too expensive for my budget)

taku

Hey guys!

Anybody going to GDC Europe this August?

Is it worth it going with the Independent Games Summit Pass? (All Access Pass is way way too expensive for my budget)
Leaning towards going, yes.
I would also like to know if the Independent Games Summit Pass is an okay choice.

Popstar

If anyone is curious about what it's like to talk to publishers after a successful Kickstarter this article has a graphic that is pretty on the nose. Just replace the first line with "1. Run successful Kickstart campaign."

LUNInur.png

Hey developers! I usually just lurk in this thread, but I just finished up an eBook on some of the legal issues in game development. If anyone wants to check it out, you can either go to this link and sign up for my mailing list or PM me and I'll give you the direct link.

Covers a lot, including why you should have a business entity and what kind, intellectual property, different kinds of contracts and why you need them, some federal and state laws, as well as some info on different types of crowdfunding. I hope some of you get some use out of it!

Minamu

Hey developers! I usually just lurk in this thread, but I just finished up an eBook on some of the legal issues in game development. If anyone wants to check it out, you can either go to this link and sign up for my mailing list or PM me and I'll give you the direct link.

Covers a lot, including why you should have a business entity and what kind, intellectual property, different kinds of contracts and why you need them, some federal and state laws, as well as some info on different types of crowdfunding. I hope some of you get some use out of it!
I'll sign up if it's free like it says :) GJ.

I'll sign up if it's free like it says :) GJ.

Yeah, it's totally free. There's a game trademark checklist that comes with it, too. It's a client-generation tool for my law practice, but I had a blast writing it! Hope you like it, and if you have any feedback, let me know.

Minamu

Yeah, it's totally free. There's a game trademark checklist that comes with it, too. It's a client-generation tool for my law practice, but I had a blast writing it! Hope you like it, and if you have any feedback, let me know.
Nice! Of course, I'm a swede so I don't know if state laws matter much to me yet, but who knows :)

GulAtiCa

I'd be interested to know how long the approvals process takes, as I'm hoping to submit my own game at the end of this month. Also curious to know how much you've talked to Nintendo reps and how much support they've given, especially in terms of marketing. In fact got a whole bunch of questions that you probably can't answer in public :p

About 2 weeks, give or take. There is a bit of a backlog now as a lot of games are trying to be submitted. But I've never seen it go beyond 3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom