• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecto311

Any advice for someone who would like to get into the games business at some point making games but has the chance to go back to school? Take game centered classes or general programming and classes?

Five

Banned
I agree with this, however I think the over sized weapon works better in the left image as the scale changes make it not stand out.

Nice designs either way.

I appreciate you voicing your opinions. I'm curious, though, why you'd think the normal proportions look better when Cactus has such large eyes and heads for the androids. The redesign was made with stuff like Psychonauts, Tim Burton's stuff and games like yours in mind.

Any advice for someone who would like to get into the games business at some point making games but has the chance to go back to school? Take game centered classes or general programming and classes?

Regardless of what you choose, make games on the side. You'll only get to get better and hone your craft and have stuff to show off if you spend some of your time making something.

I only know about game-design classes from anecdotes and hearsay, so I can't speak to their general quality. Personally, my belief is that the best way to get good at something is to be inundated in it as soon as possible. Read articles. Watch documentaries. Make stuff of your own. Hang out in places like this thread.

There's an old saying that "Those who can't, teach," which basically calls into question why someone would be sitting in a classroom if they could be out in the world doing what they know so well. Why would someone be teaching game design instead of doing it?

So look into the credentials of the professors. My comp sci prof was an older man who previously worked at NASA and for DARPA. He'd had his share of super insane work, and now wanted to do something simpler and pass on his knowledge to the next generation.

My gut feeling is go with general comp sci, but it's hard to say for certain not knowing which schools you're applying to and who their professors for each area of study are.

missile

... also loving the retro tv/monitor effects Missile is pulling out :D ...
Thx a lot. :+

llGw9yk.gif

What's happening here? Guess. Neglect the wrong green color at left below,
it's an error due to GifCam (3.5) ... arrgh!

Paz

I appreciate you voicing your opinions. I'm curious, though, why you'd think the normal proportions look better when Cactus has such large eyes and heads for the androids. The redesign was made with stuff like Psychonauts, Tim Burton's stuff and games like yours in mind.

Cactus actually started out with long slender character designs like you see in more traditional anime but we moved towards the larger head/odd proportions designs you see now to give each character a stronger silhouette from our gameplay camera perspective - Finding your character and avoiding projectiles can be a real problem when using non-orthgraphic cameras at an angle so we've done everything we can to improve that.

I'm not too sure what it is that I find so attractive about your realistic designs compared to the more exaggerated version, in part it reminds me of classic western cartoons/characters and games like Kings Quest which is not a style you see often anymore (and was something I very much liked back when it was popular) while the exaggerated version feels a bit 'cheap'. I use the term "a bit" because I honestly think both versions are quite nice but it's the best way for me to describe my preference.

Five

Banned
Cactus actually started out with long slender character designs like you see in more traditional anime but we moved towards the larger head/odd proportions designs you see now to give each character a stronger silhouette from our gameplay camera perspective - Finding your character and avoiding projectiles can be a real problem when using non-orthgraphic cameras at an angle so we've done everything we can to improve that.

I'm not too sure what it is that I find so attractive about your realistic designs compared to the more exaggerated version, in part it reminds me of classic western cartoons/characters and games like Kings Quest which is not a style you see often anymore (and was something I very much liked back when it was popular) while the exaggerated version feels a bit 'cheap'. I use the term "a bit" because I honestly think both versions are quite nice but it's the best way for me to describe my preference.

Well I appreciate this explanation a lot. Thanks, Paz!

Makai

I made a really confusing game for Ludum Dare. I'm proud of it, but its biggest shortcoming is communicating the rules. Everyone has a tough time at first. I'm trying to rectify that for the post compo version. Animation is a common request, so I'm working on that now. I'm going to pop out tiles before moving them over and plopping them back down. This will make it more clear what is going on when the player performs an action.

TilePop.gif

Tash

We joined the Norwegian Game Jam again, earlier this year. Amazing Moondrop won with a beautiful game on split screen: Degrees of Separation

We entered with a prototype of "A State of Matter" to the theme "Temperature". Freaking hard to come up with a good design..I think we could have done something more creative with the theme but the prototype turned out ok imo :)

Paz, are you going to be around for any conferences in Europe this year?

MasterKelli

Neo Member
Greetings from Finland,

Our first game is released!

It's a free one-touch platformer, Hopping Penguin for Windows Phone 8.
It's going to be a 90 day WP8 exclusive as we got funding from AppCampus.
We also won the Viope Game Development World Championship student track and got directly in contact with Microsoft. They will promote our game hopefully soon.

k3m2.png

Download for Windows Phone 8

Official site & trailer

We are very excited to finally launch the game. It's a free game so feel free to try it out and let us know how you like it. :)

I made a really confusing game for Ludum Dare. I'm proud of it, but its biggest shortcoming is communicating the rules. Everyone has a tough time at first. I'm trying to rectify that for the post compo version. Animation is a common request, so I'm working on that now. I'm going to pop out tiles before moving them over and plopping them back down. This will make it more clear what is going on when the player performs an action.

TilePop.gif

whatever is happening, it looks good. :D

Blizzard

Banned

TilePop.gif
I (and some others?) didn't think it was really that confusing (see my comments on your Ludum Dare entry), but I think the big issues I have are:

1. The colors seem pretty max-saturated and it can be difficult to see the hex boundaries. Maybe a black border around each tile would help. This may also relate to it being difficult to see how deep a pentagon hole is.

2. I kept abruptly finding the game ended because all pentagon tiles stacked up and I didn't notice. This is a HUGE deal since that is the mechanic that ends your game. If you even just put a text string below the score that tells you how many turns you have left, that would be a big help.

3. It would be nice if it were possible to "win" by removing all the tiles, but I imagine it might be difficult to procedurally generate it in such a way that wins are feasible.

Balancing what to show and what not to show isn't too difficult, as long as you understand the atmosphere you're attempting to project. Players need to know what they're getting for their money - selling promises usually means upset players. However, horror fans understand that "less is more", so you'll have a little wiggle room.
My suggestion is only pick a very small number of early-game enemies and use more late game enemies, that surmise or represent the atmosphere of your game, and show off your creature designs. Players are unlikely to be thinking about screenshots and trying to remember what they saw once they're playing, and will forget about the late game enemies you selected until they encounter them. This also preserves the early game experience, ensuring your game makes the best possible first impression.
Great looking game, by the way.

That's some interesting advise, thanks!

Fox1304

Is anyone attending the "Game Monetisation Europe 2014" tomorrow and Thursday ?
I'll be there for work the two days, and wondered if anyone from indie-gaf would be there :)

Makai

I (and some others?) didn't think it was really that confusing (see my comments on your Ludum Dare entry), but I think the big issues I have are:
You're clever ;)

I've seen a couple letsplays where people aren't quite sure what's going on. I think most people can figure it out, but will probably quit before they understand all of the rules.

2. I kept abruptly finding the game ended because all pentagon tiles stacked up and I didn't notice. This is a HUGE deal since that is the mechanic that ends your game. If you even just put a text string below the score that tells you how many turns you have left, that would be a big help:
I agree and this seems to be the biggest source of confusion. I'm considering changing the game over condition entirely.

3. It would be nice if it were possible to "win" by removing all the tiles, but I imagine it might be difficult to procedurally generate it in such a way that wins are feasible.
The easiest goal would be to clear a certain number of rings, similar to Tetris/Hexic. I strongly suspect that removing all of the tiles would be impossible. Forming rings becomes really tedious when there are black tiles everywhere and I am considering ways to continuously reintroduce colored tiles.

whatever is happening, it looks good. :D
Thanks!

Here's a sort of screen shot saturday image, more like a photo taken in the evening under a dull lamp with a shit iphone camera:
Looks at avatar...looks at pic...

75806-mind-blown-whoa-dude-gif-pC7V.gif

You've had that avatar for a while. I had no idea it was from something you are working on.

Greetings from Finland,

Our first game is released!

It's a free one-touch platformer, Hopping Penguin for Windows Phone 8.
It's going to be a 90 day WP8 exclusive as we got funding from AppCampus.
We also won the Viope Game Development World Championship student track and got directly in contact with Microsoft. They will promote our game hopefully soon.

k3m2.png

Download for Windows Phone 8

Official site & trailer

We are very excited to finally launch the game. It's a free game so feel free to try it out and let us know how you like it. :)

Looks great. Congrats and good luck.

Tiu Neo

^ It's color space related.

Now you got me interested.

Since you where playing with hue-less channels before, are you using only the H and alpha channels on this image? Or maybe the chrominance channels on YCrCb or YUV?

I'm learning a bit about shaders right now, but I'm kinda feeling home about some things, since my specialization is Image Processing and Pattern Recognition :D

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I'm wondering if there are any tools for making 2d image creation and animation easier and faster? For some reason working in 3d is so much easier for me, maybe because it's where I started teaching myself. I also think my extreme lack of artistic ability shows up less in 3d somehow, haha.

missile

Now you got me interested.

Since you where playing with hue-less channels before, are you using only the H and alpha channels on this image? Or maybe the chrominance channels on YCrCb or YUV? ...
You are about 33% right. ;) It's the Y'IQ (NTSC) color space am dealing with
here, which is basically Y'UV (PAL) rotated by 33 degrees. The animation above
swings through the Y'IQ color space on the Y' axis. The bands are for the
show. They are computed after transforming the Y'IQ image back to RGB and
quantize into a color table of 256 entries. Works in realtime. This is part of
my new reatime halftoning algorithm on color tables I recently talked about,
i.e. to halftone RGB (any space) images in realtime into a color table without
doing an expensive nearest color computation and without doing a search
through the table. And I got it working! :D Sure, you have to make some
assumptions yet it works pretty good. The animation doesn't use dithering, it
uses simple thresholding to generate those bands. Dithering and many different
halftone techniques will follow further down the road.

49UnhEC.png

Y'IQ + banding effect, Y' = 0.5

... but I'm kinda feeling home about some things, since my specialization is Image Processing and Pattern Recognition :D
Pretty good! Have you studied it as part of computer science? What do you want
to do with said knowledge, apply it to games? What's the coolest thing you
want to do with it?

missile

The work on the Y'IQ color space is spend for reproducing the colors of NTSC
broadcast TV, i.e. to degrade the colors in a very specific way by limiting
the bandwidth of the I (horizontal, at Q = 0) axis compared to the Q axis. The
I axis covers the range of orange and blue colors the eye is least sensitive
to. Hence, reducing the bandwidth (or data rate) on I makes sense, and was
a brilliant idea back then for the (original) NTSC format. Hence, by bringing
the amplitude if the Y'IQ signal into the proper range (valid NTSC colors) and
by reducing the bandwidth on I, broadcast NTSC colors should appear. That's
what I'm trying to do here at least, i.e. to satisfy all the US boys by giving
them their NTSC retro fix! :D

missile

Lots of momentum today! :D

A little haftone taste of the cool stuff coming...

Next to dithering (called ordered dispersed-dot in the literature) there is
also what's called ordered clustered-dot which essentially mimics the real
photographic halftone process. I implemented a color dot-on-dot ordered
clustered-dot algorithm (sounds good, heh?). The dot-on-dot is a printing
technique to be able to put colored dots on top of other colored dots to
produce mixed color.

Basically, I do simulate the halftone process with a so-called screen (raster)
and do color clustered-dot "printing" with the primaries of R, G, B and
their mixed ones, i.e. Cyan, Magenta, Yellow. The "paper" is black (K), and
white (W) results from having the primaries fully saturated. So we essentially
have 8 colors, i.e. {K, R, G, B, C, M, Y, W}. These are the only colors used.
To simulates shades, you have to haftone between the given colors. Away from
standard dithering (dispersed-dot) I implemented a clustered-dot variant. The
RGB image is quantized down into the above color table of just 8 colors, while
clustered dots of variable size are used to simulate halftone shades. All in
realtime.

The first picture just shows the quantized version of the second one, while
the third one has a color clustered-dot halftoning variant applied being able
to simulate (in this case) 25 halftone shades between each level in the color
table.

7LHGNhm.png

bYvgoF5.png

9oVleiq.png

If you move a lil away, the eye will blend the colors together reproducing a
sensation similar to the second "continuous" tone image. Remember, the
halftone image above consist of just eight colors! Zoom in, if you don't
believe it. For the sake of completeness; no filtering is applied. The data
shown is the raw material -- under development. Special filtering techniques
will later be applied to said halftone images producing a very distinctive and
pretty cool retro look.

Tiu Neo

Pretty good! Have you studied it as part of computer science?

Yes! I almost had an master degree on the area, but work got in the way, so I had to drop it. Fortunately, I got into a project that uses that knowledge a few years ago. It's over now, but I still study some new things in the area, from time to time.

What do you want
to do with said knowledge, apply it to games? What's the coolest thing you
want to do with it?

Actually, I got into game development to fulfill a dream I had when I was younger, to create games. I started from the basics, now I'm getting into 3D programming, shaders, vertexes and all that.

I'm trying to apply that knowledge however I can! Be it for effects, AI, input methods, and even basic things like collision algorithms, I always end up using something from those two areas. It impressed me how close they where with game development!

The coolest thing I want to do... You know, I never thought about that! I'm actually using the knowledge of the two areas to help with game development, but save for some specific prototypes I did for a client, never created a game to apply something of those areas. May be something interesting to do, when I have some free time! What you're doing right now looks really fun, to me, so it's very inspiring!

razu

I've implemented the vehicle loop! Currently the only automated switch is from chopper to boat when you land in the water. Other switches are manual.

I'm thinking of adding shops or stations for switching in and out of the truck or chopper.

Most of my thinking time is being spent on the major game loop, as the immediate loop of flying/driving/boating is pretty satisfying already. Thinking of what drives the player to keep playing. The economics, etc...

So many things to work on!! :D

rottame

I'm wondering if there are any tools for making 2d image creation and animation easier and faster? For some reason working in 3d is so much easier for me, maybe because it's where I started teaching myself. I also think my extreme lack of artistic ability shows up less in 3d somehow, haha.

I find that working vectorially (Illustrator) makes things easier. But I usually start with sketches on paper because it helps me visualizing things better.

Blizzard

Banned
I got some more stuff done last night. I have the code refactored to draw the battle area, bounds-limited arrow key controlled camera movement to scroll around the playing area, zoom working, and right click drag to move the map RTS style, even though it is a TBS game.

It -feels- like progress, but naturally there is still no gameplay. ;(

Five

Banned

It's hard to say not knowing what you're currently using or looking at, or what your budget is. I've been pretty happy using Illustrator for drawing and Spine for animating, but neither are free and I haven't tried out their alternatives.

oxrock

It's hard to say not knowing what you're currently using or looking at, or what your budget is. I've been pretty happy using Illustrator for drawing and Spine for animating, but neither are free and I haven't tried out their alternatives.

Currently using GIMP with absolutely no experience in this kind of stuff. So pointing me in the right direction of what to use and where to learn would be awesome.

Five

Banned
Currently using GIMP with absolutely no experience in this kind of stuff. So pointing me in the right direction of what to use and where to learn would be awesome.

Well, that's a start. What art style are you going for? Can you list a couple of examples of a style you'd like to be similar to?

Most 2D games are done with flipbook-style animation where it's a separate image for each frame of animation (and usually doesn't have parity with the game speed), but there are a lot that don't. Vanillaware used a 2D skeletal system for Dragon's Crown I believe, which is what I'm doing for my game (video). Double Fine for Broken Age actually just used 3D models and fixed the camera so it'd look 2D, so that might be more your flavor.

First, decide what kind of 2D art you want to do; you've basically got 2 options, vectorial or pixelart.

For vectorial (Flash style) you could use Inkscape and / or Vectorian Giotto to do tweened animations using keyframes if your engine supports importing SVGs (Game Maker is about to add SVG importing).

Paid software options for doing this would be Adobe CS6, or Spine (as mentioned above).
Spine lets you use IK 'bones' for your keyframes, to achieve more realsitic results (as you effectively create a 2D 'puppet').

You can also achieve similar effects as Spine within Unity3D with 2D cutouts and deformable meshes with a free plugin (which has some example graphics and a tutorial) which has the advantage of being able to use Unitys built in animation controls for anim blending.

The alternative to tweening animations is old fashioned spitesheets, where you basically draw each frame of anaimtion like a flickbook - heres a useful page with tutorials on doing that.
The advanage of doing it that way is you can use pretty much any art package to do so (even MS Paint) but your life is a little easier if you use an app that has layers or onion skinning so you can quickly compare frame states.
Again, something like Game Maker has basic spriting and animation tools built into it.

oxrock

although models would probably suit me better, currently the game engine i'm using is pygame which only supports 2d. I'd be most comfortable with pixel art I would assume.
I have no experience at all with vectorial though, is it any easier? I saw mention of keyframes, i know in 3d modeling programs can create animations between keyframes, is that possible for 2d?

although models would probably suit me better, currently the game engine i'm using is pygame which only supports 2d. I'd be most comfortable with pixel art I would assume.

Yeah, I don't believe Pygame supports Tweening or importing SVGs.

An alternative would be to look into Unitys new 2D features though, as Boo is very similar to Python so you wouldn't be relearning from scratch (although I believe Boo isn't supported on all platforms Unity can export to).

Five

Banned
I have no experience at all with vectorial though, is it any easier? I saw mention of keyframes, i know in 3d modeling programs can create animations between keyframes, is that possible for 2d?

Only if you're using a model instead of flipbook animation. Spine has a Python runtime so I think you can use that. (https://github.com/terrysimons/spine-python/blob/master/pyguts/examples/dragon_pygame.py)

oxrock

Yeah, I don't believe Pygame supports Tweening or importing SVGs.

An alternative would be to look into Unitys new 2D features though, as Boo is very similar to Python so you wouldn't be relearning from scratch (although I believe Boo isn't supported on all platforms Unity can export to).

I have done a couple unity tutorials and that's the next engine for me I think, however this game is fairly far along and most importantly, in my native language python :)

I plan on switching to c# in unity after this game is complete. That'll be after i get a lot more c# practice under my belt though.

oxrock

ok, so apparently I need a way to import an animation from blender into GIMP and have it automagically turned into pixel art animation :p

I didn't see this bit before;

All animation uses the concepts of 'keyframes' and 'tweening', but depending on what graphics you are using it is a question of how much is automated for you (although you always need manual tweaks).

Flipbook style animation, you do it all yourself - the best way is to draw each individual 'keyframe', and then draw the tweens between each state yourself.

Vectorial allows you to cheat a little (same as with 3D) in that you can auomatically generate the tween frames between each keyframe. This can end up with results that look a little odd though - in 3D you get mesh deformation or texture pinching, in 2D you just get weird unanatomical poses.

The more advanced versions of animating nowadays it to use bones to create 'puppets' with IK - basically, if you move a 'hand' object, then the skeleton attached to it will then also move the forearms and shoulders accordingly (and you can 'weight' each bone with an area of incluence to see what moves and how much).

Getting bone-based is primarily a question of getting your rig correct - as abe_bly suggests, using Spine is a good (paid for) 2D solution for getting IK 2D animations done, by rigging a 2D image to work like a puppet.

Any animation technique can be exported into a 'flipbook' style raster animation though (for example DKC on the SNES was just rster exports of 3D modelled animations) - the primary advantage of vectorial art is that it can be infinitely resized and maintain a smooth image, whereas raster art is a fixed resolution.

If you're more comfortable with animating models, but want to work in 2D, don't rule out modelling and animating in Blender or something, and then just taking screenshots of each keyframe to use as 2D artwork (again, like how DKC did on the SNES).

oxrock

Here's another question (sorry for noobing it up so much in here), but what's the best way to handle large attack animations? For example my current setup I just have the frame large enough to accommodate the animation even though it causes a giant invisible hitbox for the player. That's obviously not ideal. Would most games spawn another hitbox for the swinging sword animation (in my case)?

Edit: TBH, i hate this whole animation/art process. I much more enjoy figuring out how to make the gameplay work than to spend so much time on the artwork, but I don't want to have my game be only boxes and whatnot, want it to look at least semi legit. So trying to find the best way to make this work without spending all day everyday doing something i suck at :p

Five

Banned
Would most games spawn another hitbox for the swinging sword animation (in my case)?

Another separate hitbox, yes. Usually you'll have different classes of hitboxes. Your character might warrant different boxes for colliding with the terrain and getting hurt by stuff, for example.

Depending on the complexity of your attacks, you might want a single attack hitbox or you might want a different one for each frame of its animation, which is obviously more complicated but can add precision.

Here's another question (sorry for noobing it up so much in here), but what's the best way to handle large attack animations? For example my current setup I just have the frame large enough to accommodate the animation even though it causes a giant invisible hitbox for the player. That's obviously not ideal. Would most games spawn another hitbox for the swinging sword animation (in my case)?

Hitboxes are a whole different can of worms - you'll probably save yourself a lot of headaches if you decouple the game mechanics (ie hitboxes) from the game aesthetics (ie the sprites) almost entirely.

Without knowing what sort of game you're making, I can't say for sure, but I'd imagine you don't even need a hitbox for your weapon, unless you intend for players to be able to be hurt or collide with terrain by swinging their sword.

hitboxes_zpsda71de42.gif

This gif shows a (my best guess, admittedly) approximation of how zero in the megaman games hitboxes were done - the actual hitbox is about half the width of the sprite, and when he does an attack it just says 'is there anything inside the red arrows screenspace' to work out if its hit something, rather than creating collision events.

For something that needs more precision, like a Streetfighter or something, you probably do want multiple hitboxes representing the character (so Vega can be killed by having his claw punched), but usually you probably wouldn't need to be that precise (and being that precise will be a bit slower to calculate for the code)

Edit: TBH, i hate this whole animation/art process. I much more enjoy figuring out how to make the gameplay work than to spend so much time on the artwork, but I don't want to have my game be only boxes and whatnot, want it to look at least semi legit. So trying to find the best way to make this work without spending all day everyday doing something i suck at :p

You pretty much have three options;
1) suck it up, and DIY
2) Grab someone elses donated art (and risk looking a bit generic as a result)
3) Find an artist and pay them to make stuff for you ^_^

Mabef

Banned
Why, thank you. Can't wait to get into actually writing dialog and inventing characters. Totally new to me!
I have this killer idea for a protagonist. Get this... He wakes up with amnesia and he has a dark past. Plus a snarky attitude that gets all the ladies (oops, did I forget again to mention he's a straight white dude). Oh, and he never talks. Silent protagonist.

You can have that one for free.

Edit: I'm considering putting my next game on Kongregate. Are there better portals for distributing a dumb little HTML 5 game? I'm looking for a portal that reaches a wide audience (most important), supports HTML 5 to some extent, and will toss me pennies for ad revenue.
Thanks

missile

Yes! I almost had an master degree on the area, but work got in the way, so I had to drop it. Fortunately, I got into a project that uses that knowledge a few years ago. It's over now, but I still study some new things in the area, from time to time. ...
What have you done there?

... Actually, I got into game development to fulfill a dream I had when I was younger, to create games. I started from the basics, now I'm getting into 3D programming, shaders, vertexes and all that. ...
Sounds very good. 3d programming from scratch, implementing basic rendering
algorithms yourself? Or are you using the video accelerator for the core stuff
while building upon it?

Woo hoo! I made the foundation for a conversational dialog box! All placeholder, but.. woo hoo! :D

RU3l8dF.png
Scrap the dialog, show us the transition instead! Will the vehicles morph into
each other? C'mon! :D

Tiu Neo

What have you done there?

A few things. On graduation, I worked with skin cancer detection and classification. There I learnt a lot about color spaces. Then, on my masters degree, I started working with filtering algorithms, but switched projects, some time later, to work with machine learning based image segmentation.

On my work, I did a few projects that involved face recognition, image filtering, processing, pattern recognition and even some image effects. I also worked quite a bit with augmented reality. Can't say too much about those projects, unfortunately.

Sounds very good. 3d programming from scratch, implementing basic rendering algorithms yourself? Or are you using the video accelerator for the core stuff while building upon it?

Haha, nothing like that (for now) :) It was a long time since I worked with 3D (since graduation), for now I'm using DirectX and OpenGL for 3D programming. I'm mostly relearning the basics.

Don't know if I'll get lower than that, or switch to an engine. My goal, at least for now, is to make a good, presentable, and complete game, so I'm trying to focus on that. But, knowing myself, I'll end up creating a lot of cool things and forget about making the game, hahahaha.

razu

I have this killer idea for a protagonist. Get this... He wakes up with amnesia and he has a dark past. Plus a snarky attitude that gets all the ladies (oops, did I forget again to mention he's a straight white dude). Oh, and he never talks. Silent protagonist.

You can have that one for free.

Thanks! ;D

Scrap the dialog, show us the transition instead! Will the vehicles morph into each other? C'mon! :D

They currently pop between each other on a key press. And you can switch to the boat wherever you are, which is less than useful. I'm thinking about how Mike switches between vehicles. Perhaps little buildings for each vehicle. And the ability to bail out of each one, that then disappears in a puff of smoke... Not decided yet!

vladimirdlc

Neo Member
At my company we did a test of our game in a build on my vita, using the current psm beta for Unity, it works better than I expected, and it's looking somehow sexy ^^

BnepCQRIEAAtL6E.jpg:large

MrNyarlathotep said:
hitbox info

Duuuuuuude, that was pretty helpful. Thanks, I was having a hard time wrapping this around my head. What's funny is I have been playing fighting games for decades. It's funny when you want to implement this yourself it gets confusing.

gundalf

Oh boy I was trying to use a Pool Manager for my Projectiles in Unity and instead of Despawning they Destroyed themself in the Second Spawning Wave.... I spent about 16hours trying out everything with no Success... unitl I recreadet my Bullets and now they dont Destroy themself anymore. This makes no sense because they are exactly the same!
The saddest part is that i feel no relief but anger spending so much time on fixing something that makes only a small aspect of the overall game...

Are there others here who experienced similar things?

Oh boy I was trying to use a Pool Manager for my Projectiles in Unity and instead of Despawning they Destroyed themself in the Second Spawning Wave.... I spent about 16hours trying out everything with no Success... unitl I recreadet my Bullets and now they dont Destroy themself anymore. This makes no sense because they are exactly the same!
The saddest part is that i feel no relief but anger spending so much time on fixing something that makes only a small aspect of the overall game...

Are there others here who experienced similar things?

Welcome to game development.

This will keep happening. Enjoy the ride. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom