• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrDev

Hey guys, for any interested, I've updated my Unity3d combo system to version 1.4 bringing with it Playmaker support, multiplayer support and Synchro-Activators (eg pushing A and B button simultaneously). Check it out! http://bit.ly/1nP9b0Q

Feep

Banned
You're my main inspiration for this. I think, if GAF wants (and my teammates agree), they'll all be getting Shutshimi copies if I can get through Greenlight with their help :)
Woot!

I do think it's a good idea. Yeah, you might lose a few sales you might have gotten here and there, but the exposure is really good. And setting up a donation repository isn't a bad idea, either. ;)

razu

hey guys ... I've been playing around with PBR stuff a little bit more ... here's what I managed to come up with ... let me know what you think - all feedback is welcome :)

2014-05-16_022721.jpg
2014-05-16_022752.jpg

Look great to me. Make sure you always have a fill light in your actual game lighting too!

friken

Hi Guys. I've been updating the first page of our dev log as a couple people mentioned that they wrote off our game because the first page on the log was old and very early dev stuff. I've pulled the newest project pics/info/etc into the first page to help address this. As we inch closer to doing a kickstarter and greenlight, we want to refine how we present the project.

Could I please get some feedback for the dev log (just first post page1). Too much/little info in any section? Anything glaring or missing? How do you guys handle deb log/blog updates? It seems like a full-time job to keep stuff current :/

Thanks in advance!

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=37040.msg965056#msg965056

friken

Productive week:

UI mostly in-game now. Gif of how it looks w the alien animation going:
iDItWnDtS6dwy.gif

New Algorithmic substances for Gas Planets:
ibgtzUbiWCSk4R.gif

Hi Guys. I've been updating the first page of our dev log as a couple people mentioned that they wrote off our game because the first page on the log was old and very early dev stuff. I've pulled the newest project pics/info/etc into the first page to help address this. As we inch closer to doing a kickstarter and greenlight, we want to refine how we present the project.

Could I please get some feedback for the dev log (just first post page1). Too much/little info in any section? Anything glaring or missing? How do you guys handle deb log/blog updates? It seems like a full-time job to keep stuff current :/

Thanks in advance!

I think that looks pretty great. The one thing I think it's lacking is development info. It does a great job of selling your game and its concept, perfect for kickstarter, but it doesn't feel like a dev log. Maybe expand on what you're currently working on?

I've just announced my game, but I'm starting to understand what you mean. I have a facebook, twitter, blog, forum, and website game page all to manage. Keeping these things accurate takes so much time.

Also my username changed. Woohoo! No more people calling me Joe hahaha.

Hey guys, we're currently running a code giveaway on our Facebook page, but it's been hard getting it to spread outside of Australia.

I'd be ultra grateful if you guys could enter and share the giveaway post, since we could really use the international exposure. You could win yourself a copy of the game as well! :)

Thanks!

Link to enter giveaway

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/hazuminogame

I tweeted your link with both of my twitter accounts.

https://twitter.com/VizionEck/status/467497875568463872
https://twitter.com/MikeArmbrust/status/467499434310246400

Hopefully that helps.

Mabef

Banned
Here's my current GameMaker project. Get In Get Out is the working title. It's a roguelike top-down shooter with date-based level generation and a sweet spinning saw vehicle. Making animated gifs was... a bit of a hassle. The website I used tore the framerate to pieces but you can click the gifs to see them in compressed webm glory.

And while I'm debugging, I can pull back the camera to see my level layout and my LOD scripts.

I fake the 3D by placing a building's "floor" as a normal sprites with collision, then extrapolating each floor-corner's corresponding roof-corner based on distances from the camera's center of view. Then I draw triangles between the floor and roof corners to create the walls. I'm going to be working on this game for a while yet (next up, art), and hopefully it'll be a free HTML 5 game in the next few months. It's my first real project, wish me luck!

Thanks in advance!

I noticed the links to your indieDB page are screwy — Looks like they have one too many quotation marks around em. Looking good otherwise!

ZehDon

Hey guys, we're currently running a code giveaway on our Facebook page, but it's been hard getting it to spread outside of Australia.

I'd be ultra grateful if you guys could enter and share the giveaway post, since we could really use the international exposure...
Great looking game. Happily re-tweeted, hope it goes well for you.

Ito

Hi gamedevs!

Another screenshot from "Spirit Huntress", this time I made a .webm video.

I was testing some new assets. There's a lot left to do (shadow, dust when she lands on the floor, adjust the lighting, etc).

Here's the animated .webm:

http://a.pomf.se/kxywib.webm

(open it in a new tab to enlarge it, the embeded video is really shrunken)...

Since the conversion screwed the quality (the game runs @ 60 FPS 1920x1080) I'll also post a static picture to show the actual image quality.

2G5Jd60.jpg

I hope you like it.

And happy game making to you all~

Edit.- The embeded .webm appears :S

I haven't posted for a while since I've been working on internal systems and AI in the past few weeks and now working on wormholes around the universe for fast travel

EnterWormhole.png

bumpkin

Hey guys! Apologies in advance for a long, picture-heavy post. :)

It's screenshot Saturday once again, and I have more progress to share! I was feeling a bit nostalgic as I near the final stretch with my memory matching game, so I decided to go through all of the old builds and snap screenshots of each iteration. It's pretty cool seeing how it evolved from build to build, from placeholder graphics and nondescript UI placement to something close to being release ready.

Without further adieu, here's my little evolutionary montage…

April 29: The initial prototype. I was using some generic playing card graphics I found online. Pro-Tip: Every card was an Ace so you could never miss!

April_29_2014.png

May 1: I got rid of the generic cards and created some of my own with art I'd be using in the final product. Now you actually had to make proper matches.

May_1_2014.png

May 2: I started dabbling with Game Center integration, hence the generic buttons up top (which were all running together) for leaderboards, achievements, etc.

May_2_2014.png

May 9: I integrated a simple scoring mechanism where each match awarded 100 points and the score was tallied on the upper right. I also put in icons instead of text for all of the top buttons. A part which isn't pictured is a preceding menu (it was using generic iOS toggles) where you could change to a different deck theme.

May_9_2014.png

May 12: I finally got a proper header in there -- with animated cards (rotate slowly back and forth), styled up the timer, and had modals pop up for switching game settings and the final score summary.

May_12_2014_a.png
May_12_2014_b.png
May_12_2014_c.png

May 13: The toggle for Difficulty technically didn't do anything in the prior day's build, but now it actually changes the number of cards to match. The icons and text on the score summary no longer run into each other either.

May_13_2014_a.png
May_13_2014_b.png
May_13_2014_c.png

So yeah. I hope you guys liked this little dev log of sorts. I'm hoping to do more work on it today. With any luck I'll have something new to post later on tonight. :)

Blizzard

Banned
Hey guys! Apologies in advance for a long, picture-heavy post. :)

So yeah. I hope you guys liked this little dev log of sorts. I'm hoping to do more work on it today. With any luck I'll have something new to post later on tonight. :)

One suggestion: Your "TWO OF A KIND" text is white on a mostly-white background which makes it kind of hard to read.

friken

2G5Jd60.jpg

Looking great, nice work. Shadow will really help still shots make it feel like the character is on the ground. I thought it was flying/midair in the ss, but looks ok in the video.

Added ice caves, red forests and sand roads to my generated 3D map which are then the more difficult areas:
drD3bQ3.jpg

Very very pretty. I love the water color / painted feel of this screenshot

Turfster

edit: I'm an idiot that doesn't check what thread he posts in.
Here, have these talks with Chuck Bueche, one of the cofounders of Origin and the programmer that worked on Ultima and Autoduel instead.

Hi gamedevs!

I was testing some new assets. There's a lot left to do (shadow, dust when she lands on the floor, adjust the lighting, etc).

Here's the animated .webm:

http://a.pomf.se/kxywib.webm

(open it in a new tab to enlarge it, the embeded video is really shrunken)...

Since the conversion screwed the quality (the game runs @ 60 FPS 1920x1080) I'll also post a static picture to show the actual image quality.

2G5Jd60.jpg

I hope you like it.

And happy game making to you all~

Edit.- The embeded .webm appears :S

Looks great.

What are some useful add-ons for Unity? I currently have NGUI and 2D Toolkit, both of which are great. Considering Playmaker for a state machine (currently everything is hard-coded and I want to sort of get away from that where feasible).

How is Playmaker, and what other useful add-ons are there?

Turfster

How are you finding NGUI? Is data binding to an UI still a nightmare?
(As in, just telling it what variables to use to display things, instead of updating every UI element yourself in a script)

missile

I can see how filters could be important for a retro engine. Even some "bad" filters can give you some pretty cool visual effects. They may be a headache sometimes (specially if you're trying to create something generic), but a well used filter can be a powerful tool. ...
Frankly, filtering is perhaps one of the core issues when it comes to retro
graphics and is perhaps the main reason why there isn't proper retro graphics
on modern displays these days, caused by all the different scales inherent in
the reproduction process. Dealing with the problem for a while and applying
some standard filtering techniques showed me that much more control is needed.
So I scraped using predefined stuff and started to write my own, i.e. writing
tools for filter construction for retro graphics. So the first thing needed is
a frequency analyzer. Currently I'm programming sort of a little spectral
analyzer from scratch to be able to construct, judge, and control filters as
well as doing some interesting signal analysis. This is an extra route to
follow, but up to my standard there won't be any good retro graphics otherwise.

I was thinking it was some sort of space game, but then I saw the "Mystic River" in the corner. I'm intrigued. What are you making?

it is a space game, you build your ship add/buy/upgrade ship module parts like shields, armor, storage space, lasers, etc..., buy/upgrade add ons for your modules like energy reactors concentrartors, med bay 3d printers, life capsules , more computers or better sensors, and many others for the ship's modules , add/hire your crew with different traits and randomly generated let them earn experience, post their needs in the intergalactic friend book (social media like facebook stuff so you know what they are looking for) and what your contacts may look for too, fight pirates, smugglers, etc... and do a mission given to you in a rogue like universe, procedural star systems, wormholes, and many other nasty space things too, not focused on space fighting but on both sides, ship and crew management , when I started I wanted to do something like FTL but I wanted to have control of my ship too with more freedom, so it ended up as a mix of FTL with your crew and also physics space combat simulator , for example disable a ship and board it so you can then send your crew inside and manage them like starcraft, or while fighting your ship may get some holes and your crew will have to deal with fires and patching up the holes or they may end up in space, you can also trade in the large universe by going to space stations and buy/sell goods, buy supplies like missiles, food rations , train your crew , get a loan since everything cost money so you may end up low on cash sometimes so the intergalactic bank may be your only option... and many other things...

I want to make a game too. :(

I have the concept, the tools and some ideas(even had some assets done) but I can't, for the life of me, have the drive to continue and finish even just one game.

Made a quick GIF showing Rebirth's current WIP Melee and Dismemberment system that uses physically simulated weapons/claws for attacking and blocking.

Damage and attack effectiveness is all determined by physics.

SecondUniformBlacknorwegianelkhound.gif

Lautaro

I want to make a game too. :(

I have the concept, the tools and some ideas(even had some assets done) but I can't, for the life of me, have the drive to continue and finish even just one game.

Leave your ambitious idea rest for a while and go and finish the smallest game possible. Then make another and finish it too. In that way you'll get used to finish projects.

I had the same problem, I tried to start with ambitious ideas and I ended up only with prototypes, now I have 2 mobile games published and I finally feel ready to take on a bigger project.

missile

Retro Spectral Analyzer / RSA, PT-0xff

The RSA is a new tool for analyzing digital signals and filters towards proper
reproduction of retro computer graphics for video games.

Version PT-0xff features:
- a discretized version of the Fourier transform for any frequency value
- magnitude spectrum

Basically, I've implemented a rudimentary discrete version of the continuous
Fourier transform which is a bit more flexible then just computing the well
known discrete Fourier transform (DFT). I got some first results out. Nothing
too special, but the second picture already shows some very interesting thing,
i.e. frequency bleeding -- a poster child of many of the issues with digital
signal processing.

YOsbZQC.png

green: sine wave at 1Hz, red: samples, white: magnitude spectrum

Ig9tPlX.png

Frequency bleeding occurs if a signal hasn't an integral number of cycles
along the (time domain) sample interval. If you look closely you will see that
the spectrum ramps up a little across the entire frequency range (center =
0Hz), but there aren't any higher frequencies in the signal at all. These
additional higher frequencies will lead to ripples/ringing effects. Using a
sinus function one can study the onset of this effect at its core, an effect
that in general deteriorates the quality of filters etc. and needs to be
addressed by special techniques.

friken

It has been a while since I shared some new alien races. We are about 1/2 done now with our target of 30 races to populate the universe and storyline with.

Dimnar:
Capture.1.JPG

Ornyon:
ornyon.jpg

Ooope:
Ooope-ui.jpg

Veelow:
Veelow.jpg

And every scifi game MUST have a race of sentient Shrooms:
Mooshee.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
haven't checked in here in a while. I'm trying to keep a bit more close to the chest for a while post-video, but here's something. one of multiple secret moves in the game that require no special power or upgrade, just very precise button presses.

secret move spoilers below. if you don't want to know any secrets then don't look. :)

http://gfycat.com/ClearcutFeistyChimpanzee

Now those are my kind of colors. :D looking awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom