• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep

Banned
I like how I've been working for like five-six months now and the game consists entirely of circles and lines on a black background.

Oh, art.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I need some help identifying a problem with saving with my game "Cook, Serve, Delicious!" on the Mac App Store.

If anyone has a Mac they use, and has access to the Mac App Store, and would like a free copy of my game, please PM me. I just need to see if the game saves on your Mac. Include your OS in the PM.

Thanks!

So I want to get into Blender. Are there some books that you guys would recommend?
Main thing would be to not let the fact that you're using Blender put you off from using tutorials for other tools. Aside from where the buttons are and what tools are called 3D software is all the same. Unless you're using Houdini or some weird shit. Good practice transcends the software ^_^

I need some help identifying a problem with saving with my game "Cook, Serve, Delicious!" on the Mac App Store.

If anyone has a Mac they use, and has access to the Mac App Store, and would like a free copy of my game, please PM me. I just need to see if the game saves on your Mac. Include your OS in the PM.

Thanks!

PM Sent. Also kicking off a new vertical scrolling shooter game, will be posting samples soon!

man, there is so many cool-looking games on display in this thread! i can't wait until i can start sharing what we are working on. we haven't announced the game yet, so we are not showing anything, but i may try to share a little something in here for screenshot saturday if i can come up with something interesting that doesn't give too much about the game away. everyone keep up the awesome work and best of luck to all of you!

razu

man, there is so many cool-looking games on display in this thread! i can't wait until i can start sharing what we are working on. we haven't announced the game yet, so we are not showing anything, but i may try to share a little something in here for screenshot saturday if i can come up with something interesting that doesn't give too much about the game away. everyone keep up the awesome work and best of luck to all of you!

With Haggar as an avatar I'm expecting something ass-kicky!! :D

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
How do people feel about "slow" shmups as opposed to the bullet hell types? Anyone think there's a market for it?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Today I'm going to attempt a camera system that follows the player around the screen. Maybe zooms out depending on his height. Shakes when the character lands an attack.

Popstar

How do people feel about "slow" shmups as opposed to the bullet hell types? Anyone think there's a market for it?
I was pretty disappointed when Galaga Legions turned out to be a more of a bullet hell shmup and less slow and deliberate like Galaga '88 so I'm one person who might buy one.

But I don't know if there's a market if you don't have a recognizable name to put on it. You can say that nobody is buying them, but if nobody is making them for people to buy of course they aren't. Bullet hell shooters are part of the masocore/hard game revival of the last few years and a slower one might not fit within that tho.

If I were to attempt to make a modern Galaga, Time Pilot or whatever I think the first thing I would do is ditch score. Maybe the final version would have it. But my intuition is that if you couldn't make your prototype compelling to keep playing without the crutch of score attack, it wouldn't work.

EDIT: Pixeljunk Shooter comes to mind as something recent that was slower paced.

Ranger X

There's alot of fans of traditional shmups out there I am sure. It's because the more vocals are the hardcore players and they probably prefer bullet hell.
Personally I can't give a rat's ass about that style. Make me a shmups that is slow paced and with difficulty levels where I can casually finish it and am sold. Seriously, I think I never finished a schmups. All too hard (for the time I wish to put in practicing).

Ashodin

There's alot of fans of traditional shmups out there I am sure. It's because the more vocals are the hardcore players and they probably prefer bullet hell.
Personally I can't give a rat's ass about that style. Make me a shmups that is slow paced and with difficulty levels where I can casually finish it and am sold. Seriously, I think I never finished a schmups. All too hard (for the time I wish to put in practicing).

I'm with Ranger X. I would totally buy a schmup with casual difficulty. just give me crazy powerups and fun gameplay. At least give me the tools to beat the enemies with skilled flying. Not some crazy memorization of a pattern.

Edit: phew, lots of work done today, think I'm good for now

IVnrO.png

razu

I think if you make a series of high quality shoot-em-ups, you'll make a market for yourself.

I also think the only real way of testing for a market for something is by making it and making it known to the people.

The games industry is much poorer for the middle-manager types who are 'sure' that's there no market for things...

But then, we're indie. We're making what we want to make. Make it! It might be successful, it might die a death. But you get to say you made a game..

razu

I'm with Ranger X. I would totally buy a schmup with casual difficulty. just give me crazy powerups and fun gameplay. At least give me the tools to beat the enemies with skilled flying. Not some crazy memorization of a pattern.

IVnrO.png

I love that dimmed LCD, old calculator/cash register star-in-a-box digit thing.. always looks rad :)

fin

So I'm looking into submitting a GITHUB entry. Is anyone on here familiar with how GITHUB works? I understand creating a repository, but pushing/committing it to the Fork I don't understand...

I miss shooters that aren't 1 hit wonders too. It took me a LONG time to get used to shooters where your character sprite and the hit-it-and-your-dead box weren't the same thing.

If you're making something more along the lines of 19XX or maybe Sapphire, color me intrigued:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmuvfov5oOk

Bollocks

Man, I want to make a jigsaw puzzle game, fully dynamic, basically you set a photo and the algorithm splits it up into different (3D)parts but the algorithm is killing me because I don't want the pieces to be a simple squares, I want them to be like a real jigsaw puzzle.

razu

I downloaded Unity 4.0, and made for the world collision particles!! LOVE THEM! :D

Click for video...

The particles are also set to stretch along the direction of travel.. sparky!

I love this little dude. I could totally see happy shooters, happy RPGs, happy anythings with this little man flying his happy shiny chopper round the place.. :D

VariantX

If youre talking about stuff like r-type, darius, gradius, and thunderforce then I definately loved those types of games growing up. Don't see much of a market for these games lately.

embalm

We just passed a huge milestone for Cairn. I've been working on special abilities for about 2 months and we finally have all of the pieces in place for a good variety. I also created crazy point calculator to try and keep everything balanced.

Here is a peak at our first Slayer, the Praetorian. He is a badass with a two handed sword that blasts out alchemical fire. A sworn leader to the Thermocrat Empire.
His specials are pretty tame compared to others, but they include rushing into battle while covered in flames, blasting the enemy with spikes of magma, steam loading his sword to do different types of damage, and healing everyone around him with pheonix fire.
This is the coloring and basic look of the sprite. Weapon, animations, and other angles still have to be added of course.
2012-11-29

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Hey guys, I was thinking of making a thread buuut yeah, figured there was already something up for something like this :]

Anyways, I want to make a game but all my friends in the industry have full time jobs and have no time. I want to make a rather simple iOS game, its really just a runner game, but with a unique twist and I would be handling the art.

If youre not familiar with my art, here you go

Basically I'm looking for an engineer, this is all work that I'm doing on the side so I cant pay you, but we would split the profits if we publish something.

If anybody is interested and have some experience (obviously thats much preferred), hit me up!

Ashodin

I have to make Mr. Wave larger. he's barely seeable on my phone... :/

edit: 50% bigger. Fits the world better actually! I had to redraw a bunch of the sprite. Well worth it, lots more detail on Mr. Wave, and I also spent the time to make his walk animation slick.

6tAFk.png

charsace

Hey guys, I was thinking of making a thread buuut yeah, figured there was already something up for something like this :]

Anyways, I want to make a game but all my friends in the industry have full time jobs and have no time. I want to make a rather simple iOS game, its really just a runner game, but with a unique twist and I would be handling the art.

If youre not familiar with my art, here you go

Basically I'm looking for an engineer, this is all work that I'm doing on the side so I cant pay you, but we would split the profits if we publish something.

If anybody is interested and have some experience (obviously thats much preferred), hit me up!

Wish I could help you. Really do. Right now though I'm putting together a platformer. I've put together a few crap prototypes that I've since deleted. Hopefully the 8th time is the charm.

Go here:tigsource.com

You're a great artist and I've been a fan of your work for while even though you like the Failblazers and T'pups. :)

And if someone there doesn't pick you up(though I doubt you will have a hard time finding someone) I'm sure someone here will.

You could always take a look at programming yourself if you can't find a taker. It isn't that hard to get into and a runner game wouldn't be hard. If its a 2D game you could easily put it together, especially if you are designing the levels and not generating them procedurally.

So, both my programmers just got KIA. Well, one is just Wounded, but they can't take the brunt of what our main programmer was doing. I'm looking at profiles on Odesk.com, I'm also thinking of starting a Kickstarter to help pay for a contracted secondary programmer.

Since this is a New Thing for me, I felt it was a good move to ask IndieGAF how/if they have handled situations like this in the past?

Help me, ObiGAFKenobi, you're my only hope.

(Well not really but one of them)

GAF, I'm a pixel person that needs to learn 3D. Any recommendations on which program is good for 3D n00bs and what a good source for n00b tutorials would be?
I have friends who could hook me up with EDU discounts so the expensive stuff is on the table for me.

Thanks Indie GAF, you're awesome <3

charsace

GAF, I'm a pixel person that needs to learn 3D. Any recommendations on which program is good for 3D n00bs and what a good source for n00b tutorials would be?
I have friends who could hook me up with EDU discounts so the expensive stuff is on the table for me.

Thanks Indie GAF, you're awesome <3

The only free programs that you could use to Learn are Wings3D and Blender. Blender is close to the big suites from auto desk and Wings3D is a simple modeling software. Though Wings seems to be used a fair amount by the pros.

Edit: This thread has a lot of info and was bumped yesterday:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381257&highlight=indie

Guri

Hey guys, I hope it's ok to post this here. Our company is making a series of lessons for game developers and each month we have a new one. And this time, we talked about sprite-sheets. We've posted a YouTube video with english subtitles, and I'd love to see your opinions! It's here.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I was pretty disappointed when Galaga Legions turned out to be a more of a bullet hell shmup and less slow and deliberate like Galaga '88 so I'm one person who might buy one.

But I don't know if there's a market if you don't have a recognizable name to put on it. You can say that nobody is buying them, but if nobody is making them for people to buy of course they aren't. Bullet hell shooters are part of the masocore/hard game revival of the last few years and a slower one might not fit within that tho.

If I were to attempt to make a modern Galaga, Time Pilot or whatever I think the first thing I would do is ditch score. Maybe the final version would have it. But my intuition is that if you couldn't make your prototype compelling to keep playing without the crutch of score attack, it wouldn't work.

EDIT: Pixeljunk Shooter comes to mind as something recent that was slower paced.

IVnrO.png

I think if you make a series of high quality shoot-em-ups, you'll make a market for yourself.

I also think the only real way of testing for a market for something is by making it and making it known to the people.

The games industry is much poorer for the middle-manager types who are 'sure' that's there no market for things...

But then, we're indie. We're making what we want to make. Make it! It might be successful, it might die a death. But you get to say you made a game..

I miss shooters that aren't 1 hit wonders too. It took me a LONG time to get used to shooters where your character sprite and the hit-it-and-your-dead box weren't the same thing.

If you're making something more along the lines of 19XX or maybe Sapphire, color me intrigued:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmuvfov5oOk

If youre talking about stuff like r-type, darius, gradius, and thunderforce then I definately loved those types of games growing up. Don't see much of a market for these games lately.

Oh man, you guys gave me some great insight and studying material, thanks a ton!!!!

On a purely business level I highly suggest you don't make a shmup. After making one ourselves they are mostly sales poison.
It's definitely not just a shmup, it'll at the very least have elements of other genres, but I want to actually mix it totally with another genre. Since it's 3D I feel this is easier to sell to people, instead of just being in a flying object I want shmups to have some sort of walking around areas where you can do shit like buy stuff or take on quests or something.

Even with that tho, yeah I can see how risky it is, but it's something we all want to do on the team so I figure we'll leave the potential sorrow for later :)

Ashodin

So today I got some feedback on what's up, and I have falling animations and jumping animations for Mr. Wave. Still trying to finish the UI though....

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
With 2D side scrollers, is it more common for the camera to move with the player as he moves left to right (player is always in the center of the screen I guess) or for the player to cause the camera to move because the character reached the end of a bounding box?

Ranger X

lava.gif

Took me hours to make this.

Fucking awesome. I don't really have that patience. Too much stuff to do by myself :/

With 2D side scrollers, is it more common for the camera to move with the player as he moves left to right (player is always in the center of the screen I guess) or for the player to cause the camera to move because the character reached the end of a bounding box?

The bolded. A screen completely pinned to a character feels extremely wierd and is rarely seen.

does anyone have any recommendations for getting your game noticed on the ios scene? i don't know very much about the avenues available to indie devs for getting the word out about your game.

also, here's a screen shot for #screenshot saturday. it doesn't show too much as we haven't announced the game, but it's hard to resist the urge to share at times. the game will be coming out next summer on xblig and ios with possible releases on steam and psn.

swissBG.png

Ashodin

looks like scooby doo

I'd give you all a new screenshot but I'm not at my computer this weekend. However, on Sunday you will definitely see one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom