• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
GUI programming, anyone?

Thought it would be good in investing some more time in developing a small
graphical user interface to be able to control RSA tool more easily.
Currently, I have only just some loosely coupled (un-managed) windows on the
screen being able to render into them;

GAVkjrk.png

However, I want the windows to be manged, a window manager so to speak, being
able to send message and register functions for any event.

What I want to ask is; what are some good practices and things to better avoid
in developing such a GUI? Specifically, am interested in details like good
strategies to manage the windows to provide some good flexibility, and also in
some raster/rendering tricks to allow for more flexibility of the content
being rendered in any of the windows.

Does anyone have some specific experience to share? Thx in advance!

Pub Sub (Publish/Subscribe) design pattern should do the trick.

Each window subscribe (listens) for any event(s) that it has an interested in.

Each window publishes event(s) that it knows other windows would be interested in knowing about.

It doesn't have to be a window publishing events, it can be any part of your system.

eg. Your file systems publishes a "Data loaded" event, windows listening for "Data loaded" automatically redraw using the new data.

Blizzard

Banned

Each window publishes event(s) that it knows other windows would be interested in knowing about.

It doesn't have to be a window publishing events, it can be any part of your system.

eg. Your file systems publishes a "Data loaded" event, windows listening for "Data loaded" automatically redraw using the new data.
In theory I am doing a very simple version of something like this, partly for my GUI widgets/system, and partly for general input-handling.

I typically have a HandleInput function on different objects, and that gets called as part of the "process input" -> "update game" -> "draw" game loop. If an object has its HandleInput function called and processes the event, it can return true so the caller knows to stop searching for things to handle the event. Or, if it does not handle the event, or merely looks at the event and passes it on, it can return false.

I have a mix though -- plain methods which get called like that, and more of a publish/subscribe mechanism so that an "input handler" can be "registered" with the engine to start receiving input events.

I may very well end up needing to make things more complex for the GUI, since I plan for my game to be quite GUI-heavy. I may very well also end up using more general events for game communication instead of just input/GUI stuff.

Oh, and I forgot, I can inject events into this too, which could theoretically be nice if I ever instrument up some sort of automated regression test. This might let me play through a predetermined game sequence with precisely timed automatic keypresses to make sure major bugs have not been added.

What I currently use injected events for is if a GUI button gets pressed. If I have the button configured to call a callback method, that gets called directly. If I instead have it configured to generate an event (which is much nicer for generalized GUIs since I can use widget IDs from my external GUI editor), then an input event gets generated, and the same handlers that might handle a keypress get a GUI button press event.

Limanima

Like I've promised I've got news regarding video game Snails. We finally managed to release it on the iOS App Store! Thank's to Xamarin, the port was fairly simple to do. Some issues regarding screen resolutions, but besides that it was smooth.
We published two versions, a free one, and a paid. In the paid version we added Game Center achievements and leaderboards. For those who don't know, Snails is a lemminguish kind of game.

We're not sure at this stage if we are going to release an Android version. I'm pretty tired of this game (we've been working on this game for more then 3 years!). Let's see how the game will do in iOS (poorly I bet).

fb-ios-banner.png

You can watch a trailer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2V1JlIFSOw&feature=youtu.be

Cheers!

Um, so about a week ago this guy I'm sorta friends with (I've met him twice and shot a live performance for his band once) hit me up on Facebook offering to compose free music for any film projects I'm working on.

I'm not one to turn down free offers, but this dude is really talented imo and the type of music he makes is the kind of stuff I hear in a lot of indie games these days moreso than film. I told him he should look into that, but in the meantime I wanted to share one of my favorite tracks of his on here to give you an idea of what this dude can cook up

https://soundcloud.com/nmercurio09/subsidiaries

The build up into 1:50 -- I love it so much haha.

Sorry if this seems spammy, I just hate when artists sell themselves short and I really want to see this guy get some exposure. So if anybody is looking for a composer for their game and like what they hear here, please shoot me a PM and I'll get you in touch with him. Or I guess you can probably get in touch with him through his Soundcloud, I'm not really that familiar with it.

But yeah, I'm seeing some great stuff in this thread and know that collaboration is a huge part of it.

Thanks. :)

missile

Sounds quite good. :+ I will factor it in. The loosely coupled nature is very
enticing. Yet I need to keep it simple, since I can't waste that much time for
GUI developing for the time being. GUI development can be quite involved,
I guess. xD

How do you tackle PR work in small indie dev teams (5-10 persons)? Is it necessary/highly recommended to have a single person do the complete PR work (and nothing else) or do you think it also works if everybody does a part of it (post to Facebook, tweet, etc.)? My team is currently debating whether to look for a person with PR experience or just do everything ourself. Nobody has previous PR experience or industry contacts or something so we're a bit uncertain now.

We're developing an adventure with the Visionaire Game Engine based on the web comic Sandra & Woo. We're currently talking to Daedalic and are aiming for a Steam release next year.

I'm the lone developer on VizionEck, but we also have a guy solely working on pr and community management.

It kinda feels silly to me atm, but I think as the game moves forward with marketing he'll be extremely valuable. Twitter, facebook, the game's website, the game's forum, indie game forums, dealing with websites like IGN, Kotaku, etc., and what not just take so much time.

Once you turn on your marketing machine, I think having just one person dedicated to PR would be wise. If you go that route, send out your game's info to every website you can think of. Bigger sites probably won't publish articles at first, but articles from smaller sites can help change that. Essentially you create a chain reaction.

Bollocks

Currently learning Blender, decided to make a medpak for my game:
vWtgBAP.png

740 tri
Since it's also an exploration game I thought it would only be appropriate to pay homage to one of the games that influenced me the most.

polycount wise I could probably go higher, but as I said I currently learn Blender so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot just yet with higher poly stuff.
Also the medpak will never be seen this up close, with a bump map I think it'll do the job.
Now off to unwrap that bad boy.
Is 512x512 too much?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So I'm trying to do some single person game development. Specifically, some html5 development that can easily be ported over to ios.

My first attempt and anything html5 is here http://rectangulo.us/ . I worked on the collision engine and resolution myself and with a few days of work I got it up and running. It's not much of a game and more like a toy. I don't feel like messing with the engine any more and I want to move on to a better engine.

I'm either thinking of slapping box2d behind easeljs(my canvas rendering library) or looking for an engine to use. I saw Construct but it has no osx version. Unity looks good but you need the unity plugin to run in the browser.

Anyone currently using a html5 engine they really like?

Ito

the way they feel is never wrong

By the way I can relate to what you and Paz are saying, I'm wondering if any of you actually said what this feeling actually was, then suddenly everyone turned against you, and the troll who was hiding behind a mask of personal opinion saw the chance to call you a conceited author.

Blizzard

Banned
Each time I improve something or add something, more somethings pop up, hydra-like!

I now properly have spawn elevators working with no overlapping images, and you can click on individual spawn tiles, zoom everything in and out focused on the mouse cursor, drag the map, and have a highlight cursor follow the mouse around.

......it was at this point that I realized all my spawned units have unsynchronized idle animations. Unacceptable! It shall be the next something to do.

Noogy

All your system data can go in a static class, so you don't need that attached to a gameobject. The difficulty is in updating that data. What controls that?

I have a three level system. A static class with the data, a 'SuperCoreSystem' bunch of game objects loaded as a scene, and a FlowScript in a CoreGameSystem prefab in my levels. The FlowScript deals with the updating of a level, the SuperCoreScript deals with startup profile loading and level switching, and the static class just holds data.

It's a bit of work to get going, but it's a shit hot solution once you do! You can run from any scene in your project and it's as if you ran properly from boot, with your profile set up and everything. And it's a super slick method for async loading between menus and levels, and so on...

More details...
I have a root object in all my scenes with a high priority script on that object. The object disables everything below it in its Awake method, then notifies a static class that its been loaded, and sends a heartbeat every update. The static class is then responsible for async additively loading my SuperCoreSystem scene, that has all the core parts of the game structure in it. When the core is loaded, it initialises itself and then the original scene is told to wake up. The SuperCoreSystem keeps a reference to the root object in the level, and uses that do inform of level transitions, and ultimately destroys the old level once the new one is loaded up.

This system lets me tag each scene with game state data. So, if I run from a game level, the game starts up as if I went through the main menus and picked a level.

The cool thing is that I'll put my loading screen in the SuperCoreSystem, and it'll manage async loading between different scenes, as it'll always be loaded into memory.

I guess you could implement this by loading a 'system' resource on awake in each of your scenes if they fail to find an existing one.

The obvious alternative is to add a 'system' prefab to each of your levels. But then you'll have to mark them as don't destroy on load, and destroy new ones if they find an existing one.... messy.

Hope that in some way helps! :D

Many thanks, that helps immensely!

beril

If everything goes to plan the trailer for my new game will go up later today. Too nervous/excited about that to even care about E3.

I've been under a weird self induced embargo for the last 8 months or so, so it'll be nice to finally be able to talk about development again. I don't really enjoy being secretive about it and there's really not much point of doing that as an indie. But when I decided to cancel my previous project I didn't feel like talking about that until I had something substantial to show, which took longer than I hoped

desu

If everything goes to plan the trailer for my new game will go up later today. Too nervous/excited about that to even care about E3.

I've been under a weird self induced embargo for the last 8 months or so, so it'll be nice to finally be able to talk about development again. I don't really enjoy being secretive about it and there's really not much point of doing that as an indie. But when I decided to cancel my previous project I didn't feel like talking about that until I had something substantial to show, which took longer than I hoped

Oh shit! Looking forward to that.

Limanima

Each time I improve something or add something, more somethings pop up, hydra-like!

I now properly have spawn elevators working with no overlapping images, and you can click on individual spawn tiles, zoom everything in and out focused on the mouse cursor, drag the map, and have a highlight cursor follow the mouse around.

......it was at this point that I realized all my spawned units have unsynchronized idle animations. Unacceptable! It shall be the next something to do.

Yeah, tell me about it. I love video game development, but it's a lot of work.
Now that you shared your progress, it's time to share mine.
My new game is almost complete. I have yet to test the leaderboards score submission, add a few more ingame elements, add sound, and test the whole thing.
Then I'm going to port to Android. The game already runs on Android, but I'll have to deal with screen resolutions.
I'll post a screen capture soon.

Arksy

Hey guys,

Preface: I know nothing. Absolutely nothing about the mechanics of making a game. I don't know how to program, I don't know ANYTHING about art. I've never even been able to draw stick figures. I've never learned about programming and know about as much about programming as a monkey knows about quantum mechanics.

I'm a lawyer and historian by trade and my only other valuable skills are the fact that I can speak three languages and that I can write.

Question: Where on earth do I begin? Yes I know. This is the dumbest idea I've ever had ever. I'm probably going to die poor in a gutter somewhere....I took a look at the OP but it's basically all jargon to me. I wish there was an idiots guide to making games...(there probably is one...but a cursory glance landed me down a rabbit hole that I won't be able to get out of....HTML5?! Does that stand for Hot Male 5??)

But say I wanted to make a game.........where do I even begin getting the knowledge to make such a thing? I got RPG maker during the Humble Bundle and I've played around a little bit. My goal would be (had I the skills) would be to make a graphical based exploration/story game like Myst....or Dear Esther.....or some sort of Grimrock esque dungeon crawler....but just looking to get my feet wet at the moment. I can't swim either so chances are this is akin to drowning but nevermind.

Lautaro

Hey guys,

Preface: I know nothing. Absolutely nothing about the mechanics of making a game. I don't know how to program, I don't know ANYTHING about art. I've never even been able to draw stick figures. I've never learned about programming and know about as much about programming as a monkey knows about quantum mechanics.

I'm a lawyer and historian by trade and my only other valuable skills are the fact that I can speak three languages and that I can write.

Question: Where on earth do I begin? Yes I know. This is the dumbest idea I've ever had ever. I'm probably going to die poor in a gutter somewhere....I took a look at the OP but it's basically all jargon to me. I wish there was an idiots guide to making games...(there probably is one...but a cursory glance landed me down a rabbit hole that I won't be able to get out of....HTML5?! Does that stand for Hot Male 5??)

But say I wanted to make a game.........where do I even begin getting the knowledge to make such a thing? I got RPG maker during the Humble Bundle and I've played around a little bit. My goal would be (had I the skills) would be to make a graphical based exploration/story game like Myst....or Dear Esther.....or some sort of Grimrock esque dungeon crawler....but just looking to get my feet wet at the moment. I can't swim either so chances are this is akin to drowning but nevermind.

Well, to get good you should learn to make art or to program.

That said, even knowing nothing you could still pull something decent with Unity (free version) if you take the time to learn it (there's lot of tutorials in the official site) and maybe invest in something like PlayMaker to compensate for your lack of programming experience.

mantrakid

Wanted to pick the brain of someone good at trig type math and figured this might be a good place to ask... I'm having a problem that Im not really sure how to wrap my head around...

Im trying to find out if "Object1" is 'to the left of' "Object2".

Normally i would just compare their x positions:

If Object1.X <= Object2.X Then
isOnLeft = True

But what about if my direction is arbitrary and camera rotates smoothly so you never really know what way is actually 'up'. Basically My entire layout shifts 180* and now X & Y are opposite...

Is there a formula or something I could use to account for the 'floating' position so that it's always checking position in relation to whats actually on the screen? ie.. even thought the camera is rotating, the player is always in the center, so things still *appear* to be left and right of him...

Basically im trying to get enemies to face me when coming at me... though if the camera has rotated upsidedown then they look away from me as they come at me because Left is actually right, etc.

Let me know if that makes sense... I can draw diagrams if it would help - im just curious if anyone has dealt with this before..

Wanted to pick the brain of someone good at trig type math and figured this might be a good place to ask... I'm having a problem that Im not really sure how to wrap my head around...

isOnLeft = True

But what about if my direction is arbitrary and camera rotates smoothly so you never really know what way is actually 'up'. Basically My entire layout shifts 180* and now X & Y are opposite...

Is there a formula or something I could use to account for the 'floating' position so that it's always checking position in relation to whats actually on the screen? ie.. even thought the camera is rotating, the player is always in the center, so things still *appear* to be left and right of him...

Basically im trying to get enemies to face me when coming at me... though if the camera has rotated upsidedown then they look away from me as they come at me because Left is actually right, etc.

Let me know if that makes sense... I can draw diagrams if it would help - im just curious if anyone has dealt with this before..

So is this a 3D scene where your character can move in all 3 dimensions, or is movement restricted to 2 dimensions?

Klarax

Banned
Hi everyone,

I've had a go at making a game. And was thinking about starting a company...

I've called it kidnapped, and is developed in Unity. Easy to use, and I like using it so far.

Sorry about the sized of images if to big, couldn't get them smaller :S
More can be found here:

http://www.kidnapped-game.com

Screenshots:

LR9EWsG.jpg

6vFus2A.jpg

ztq5WDn.jpg

nsnF5yG.jpg

Limanima

isOnLeft = True

To solve this "Basically im trying to get enemies to face me when coming at me", I would do the following (in a top view on a 2d world):

Compute vector p1-p2 where p1 is the player position, and p2 is the enemy position.
Compute the angle between this vector and the vector (1,0) (depending on your coordinate system), what matters is that this is the vector with a 0 angle.
Now rotate the enemy by that angle.
I didn't pseudo-coded this, but something along this lines should work.

mantrakid

To solve this "Basically im trying to get enemies to face me when coming at me", I would do the following (in a top view on a 2d world):

Compute vector p1-p2 where p1 is the player position, and p2 is the enemy position.
Compute the angle between this vector and the vector (1,0) (depending on your coordinate system), what matters is that this is the vector with a 0 angle.
Now rotate the enemy by that angle.
I didn't pseudo-coded this, but something along this lines should work.

2 things i should have mentioned - one is that it's 100% 2D, so I'm only looking for the 2D representation, the other is it's technically a side scrolling thing so not top down -- the sprites are technically 'always up' so they automatically adjust their angle's to match the current layout angle... ie their tops always point at the top of the screen and their bottoms always at the bottom.. the issue specifically I'm having can best be shown in these GIFs:

Upper Hemisphere:

top.gif

Lower Hemisphere:

bottom.gif

When i hit the lower hemisphere (or any point along the way) the angle of the camera changes, and therefor X/Y become arbitrary... technically to the left of the player is no longer <Player.X as it may actually be >Player.X depending on what angle exactly the camera is rotated too... if the camera angle is 90 degrees, left of the player may actually be <Player.Y and they're both on the same point on the X axis.... (from a layout / scene point of view)...

Does that help?

Drone

isOnLeft = True

But what about if my direction is arbitrary

Direction = Object2.position - Object1.position (the vector pointing from 1 to 2)
RightVector is a vector pointing to Object1's right (In Unity3D it's just transform.right)
Get the dot product of the Direction vector and the RightVector, if it's positive then Object2 is on the right, if it's negative then Object2 is on the left.

Direction = Object2.position - Object1.position (the vector pointing from 1 to 2)
RightVector is a vector pointing to Object1's right (In Unity3D it's just transform.right)
Get the dot product of the Direction vector and the RightVector, if it's positive then Object2 is on the right, if it's negative then Object2 is on the left.

That is exactly what I was going to say, but providing some more details like is this 2D? 3D on a 2D plane? 3D? First person (camera is player) or third person can help us help you more.

mantrakid

Had to normalize my angles to -180->180 because Construct 2 was using angles like 430 degrees and -200 degrees.. Once normalized, it was consistent results:

Set PetFacing = angle(0,0,cos(angle(Player.X,Player.Y,Pets.X,Pets.Y)-Player.Angle+90),sin(angle(Player.X,Player.Y,Pets.X,Pets.Y)-Player.Angle+90))

If PetFacing >= 0
- Set Mirrored
Else
- Set UnMirrored

Thanks dudes!

HelloMeow

I'm making a game with very simple physics / collision detection with Unity, so I can get it exactly how I want it while keeping the performance in check. Doing this the conventional way it becomes too cluttered and unorganized too fast.

So now I'm just making my own object classes, which in turn contain a GameObject. I'm ignoring Unity's physics and doing everything inside my own objects, which in turn control Unity's GameObjects.

Turning this:
Code:
GameObject bulletObject = (GameObject)GameObject.Instantiate(bulletPrefab,transform.position,r);
Bullet bullet = (Bullet) bulletObject.GetComponent(typeof(Bullet));
bullet.direction=fireDirection.normalized;
bullet.velocity=(rigidbody.velocity);
Into this:
Code:
Bullet bullet = new Bullet(transform.position,fireDirection.normalized,finalMoveDirection);

Is this a common way of doing this, or does Unity offer a better way of doing things by yourself? When I want to do it through MonoBehaviour scripts it just becomes too cluttered with stuff like GetComponent(), GameObject.Find() and having to drag assets into the inspector.

XRA

Neo Member
Into this:
Code:
Bullet bullet = new Bullet(transform.position,fireDirection.normalized,finalMoveDirection);

Is this a common way of doing this, or does Unity offer a better way of doing things by yourself? When I want to do it through MonoBehaviour scripts it just becomes too cluttered with stuff like GetComponent(), GameObject.Find() and having to drag assets into the inspector.

yea that seems like a good way to go about it to me,
one thing to keep in mind that you might already know, is that if you end up using any GetComponent or GameObject.Find stuff, it is usually better to store the result, so you're not doing a new get component each time

HelloMeow

yea that seems like a good way to go about it to me,
one thing to keep in mind that you might already know, is that if you end up using any GetComponent or GameObject.Find stuff, it is usually better to store the result, so you're not doing a new get component each time

Yes, I use lists for enemies, bullets, etc. with both methods. I like Unity's component based design, but now it seems to be getting in the way.

Stuff like instancing a GameObject and then accessing it's script with GetComponent(), just in order to initialize some stuff, doesn't seem like the most efficient or organized way of doing things. But maybe I'm missing something.

Turfster

You're probably going to run into problems and weird kludges down the line if I understand what you're doing correctly.

Maddness

Hey guys and gals.

So, some friends and I saw this game jam a couple weeks ago and decided to join. We had 2 weeks to make the game, so we built a simplified piece of a more complete game we are working on. We plan on making a better and more robust version, but this was like an early prototype. We plan on posting a dev blog for the complete and realized game.

Hope you guys enjoy!

http://veshch.itch.io/starhunter

Edit: thought I'd add an image!

cxuQber.jpg

missile

... I've been quite busy working on a c++ multiplaform engine that I'm using to develop my next game, that I'll realease soon on iOS and Android. ...
What's the rendering engine/backend behind?

Any time! Email me at vamflax@vamflax.com if you have any Qs. That goes for anyone who needs help.

In other news, I have implemented the foundation for my NPC dialog system. This vine shows the availability of some dialog, when you press X you'll get a Phoenix Wright style dialog pop up. The cubes are NPCs BTW :D

CLICK FOR (SHAKY PHONE) VIDEO
https://vine.co/v/MjarMWh7MVB
Smooth! :+ Btw; What's the font rendering engine behind Unity, any idea?

Blizzard

Banned
Unit animations are now properly synchronized, so all idling units will happily idle up and down at the same time.

Of course, now I realize I need to figure out a way to do different army colors. Even if they are simple palette swaps, I will want to synchronize THOSE animations too for two different armies idling in sync, so I should probably think about some design that lets me perform general animation synchronization. That would address both my current concern and possibly any similar future situations.

HelloMeow

You're probably going to run into problems and weird kludges down the line if I understand what you're doing correctly.

How so? Instead of doing everything inside multiple MonoBehaviour scripts, I have a couple of interfaces with functions, like Update(), that are called from one MonoBehaviour script.

jrDev

For those interested, I just wanted you guys to know that my Unity3D Asset called GAC (Great Animation Combos) System 50% sale is ending this Wednesday. What's cool is if you want to purchase on Sellfy, you can combine that 50% sale with a GAF exclusive discount. Just PM me if you are interested.

Unity Asset Store Link
Sellfy Link
Also try the simple DEMO

Thanks,
jrDev

missile

Made some progress on the graphical user interface for the RSA tool. I've
built a very simple window data-structure, but there are no messages/events
whatsoever yet. I basically worked on the rendering part. The window seen
below has a frame and a client area. The rendering is fully encapsulated. It's
possible to build different looks or do some animations of the frame's border
or the client's area on the fly depending on the state of the tool, game, etc.
I never liked the stiffness of many GUIs with respect to rendering. So I took
care of having such rendering possibilities right there from the get-go. :+

wP2uFI9.png

UI development, RSA / NG

Hi everyone,

I've had a go at making a game. And was thinking about starting a company...

I've called it kidnapped, and is developed in Unity. Easy to use, and I like using it so far.

Sorry about the sized of images if to big, couldn't get them smaller :S
More can be found here:

http://www.kidnapped-game.com

Screenshots:

LR9EWsG.jpg

6vFus2A.jpg

ztq5WDn.jpg

nsnF5yG.jpg
Looks nice. Did you do all this on your own or did you use premade meshes and textures? I can imagine doing all the furniture and stuff by yourself is a shitload of work...

By the way, You shoult turn the Anti-Aliazing up for Screenshots, on your Webpage the sentence of the last feature isn't finished and you definitely chose the wrong music for the trailer.

razu

Got the dialogs triggering from data-tagged NPCs! :D

Need to add tasks/missions next to drive the dialog on... :D

UI is progressing nicely missile!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So I'm trying to do some single person game development. Specifically, some html5 development that can easily be ported over to ios.

My first attempt and anything html5 is here http://rectangulo.us/ . I worked on the collision engine and resolution myself and with a few days of work I got it up and running. It's not much of a game and more like a toy. I don't feel like messing with the engine any more and I want to move on to a better engine.

I'm either thinking of slapping box2d behind easeljs(my canvas rendering library) or looking for an engine to use. I saw Construct but it has no osx version. Unity looks good but you need the unity plugin to run in the browser.

Anyone currently using a html5 engine they really like?
halp!!!

A reasonable 2d engine with html5 and ios support. That's what i'm looking for.

Klarax

Banned
Looks nice. Did you do all this on your own or did you use premade meshes and textures? I can imagine doing all the furniture and stuff by yourself is a shitload of work...

By the way, You shoult turn the Anti-Aliazing up for Screenshots, on your Webpage the sentence of the last feature isn't finished and you definitely chose the wrong music for the trailer.

Bit of a mix tbh. Some stuff i done, some others.

I didnt even think about anti-alizing for the screenshot, awesome :)
What music would you have gone for?

Bit of a mix tbh. Some stuff i done, some others.

I didnt even think about anti-alizing for the screenshot, awesome :)
What music would you have gone for?
You have a dark, creepy game set in a narrow space. Epicness is the last thing you need her. The part before the logo appears (this ambiant sound) is a good start, just make a small melody for piano, a single violine or something similar and add some background. A problem may be that creepy music is rather slow and your shown gameplay is very short, so you may only get a few notes in there. Maybe something like this? Of course you somehow have to incorporate that encounter with something disharmonic or noisy.

friken

Moving from 3d ships to 2d ships wasn't as easy as I thought it would be in unity. We switched over to rigidbody2d and 2d colliders.. but unity hasn't done a very good job making the 2d system seemless move from 3d. There are many missing helper routines like Addrelativeforce, addexplosionforce, forcetypes, and better ways to setup colliders to ignore others. All in all only a day to get around the shortcomings so I can't complain too much.

I took the opportunity to cleanup the way I was doing engine propulsion fx. Here is a capture of the new system. I think it gives a great feedback for building momentum, reverse thrust and turning:

Forgive the capture cutting off too much of the screen. I shrunk the capture area to save size, but made it a bit small:

GroundedHarshImpala.gif

missile

Got the dialogs triggering from data-tagged NPCs! :D

Need to add tasks/missions next to drive the dialog on... :D

It's a big move taking Mike out of the chopper, since now you have to deal
with a lot of stuff which will make the game a bit more complex to create.
What was the line of thinking doing so, initially? Vehicle switching?

... UI is progressing nicely missile!
Thanks a lot, Sir! If I have enough time I may later today show some
cool background imagery for the client window.

Moving from 3d ships to 2d ships wasn't as easy as I thought it would be in unity. We switched over to rigidbody2d and 2d colliders.. but unity hasn't done a very good job making the 2d system seemless move from 3d. There are many missing helper routines like Addrelativeforce, addexplosionforce, forcetypes, and better ways to setup colliders to ignore others. All in all only a day to get around the shortcomings so I can't complain too much.

I took the opportunity to cleanup the way I was doing engine propulsion fx. Here is a capture of the new system. I think it gives a great feedback for building momentum, reverse thrust and turning:

Forgive the capture cutting off too much of the screen. I shrunk the capture area to save size, but made it a bit small:

GroundedHarshImpala.gif

Nice, nice! The craft may fire the boosters as well to stabilize itself upon
firing. Might be a feature to be turned on/off depending on the situation.

Ashodin

So my assets for Apexicon have slowed down (my partners in crime are doing summery things), so I'm going to switch to a quick (hopefully) Wii U game idea that I'd like to release fast on the eShop.

Currently titled: Psyscr&#333;lr

I'll show some development tomorrow!

halp!!!

A reasonable 2d engine with html5 and ios support. That's what i'm looking for.

Hey; I don't have much experience with only HTML5, but I've heard good things about Phaser.

For cross platform 2D stuff, there's a lot of different engines that scale from how much coding you want to do / are capable of and although most cost money to export to different platforms most also have free trials to get used to them and see if they're what you're looking for.

The OP has a bunch of engines you might want to look into; off the top of my head you might want to look into Unity, Stencyl, Construct, GameMaker, CoCos2D, and HaxeFlixel.

IOS stuff is always going to cost money as youll need to be an Apple developer ($100 a year IIRC) to publish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom