• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh no, I didn't get any responses for my palette-swapping post. That must mean it was -truly- awful. :p

I have made two adjustments. The third is the latest. Any opinions? Click to embiggen each image.
screenshot_2014-06-21cusak.jpg

colorstdjot.png

colors2bnsro.png

Links for opening conveniently in new tabs:
http://abload.de/img/screenshot_2014-06-21cusak.jpg
http://abload.de/img/colorstdjot.png
http://abload.de/img/colors2bnsro.png

Five

Banned
Oh no, I didn't get any responses for my palette-swapping post. That must mean it was -truly- awful. :p

I have made two adjustments. The third is the latest. Any opinions? Click to [enlarge] each image.

I feel like I'm going to be attacked by ketchup and mustard containers! :p

Actually, something I'm wondering, how many colors are you using? Because it looks like you've got five or six different yellows, five reds and five different blues. I'm wondering if it might look cleaner if you only used two or three of each hue.

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like I'm going to be attacked by ketchup and mustard containers! :p

Actually, something I'm wondering, how many colors are you using? Because it looks like you've got five or six different yellows, five reds and five different blues. I'm wondering if it might look cleaner if you only used two or three of each hue.
Thanks for the response!

Hmm, you are right. I thought I was only using 4 colors (for the left unit), but the middle unit adds at least one more color, and the right unit adds two more colors. I'm not sure if I could go down to 3 colors for each hue without it feeling overly restrictive.

Things like the blue flames, the red flames, and the red tip of the boxing glove do not change with unit color, so I am not counting those colors.

*edit* For comparison, one of the old Advance Wars games I looked at appears to use 5 colors for sprites, and more muted colors for background elements of the same color. The more muted hues for backgrounds are a good idea.

JulianImp

How about this?
The shovel is still there, but it's not explicit why. And the reason is: I hate all that mobile shovelware.

limanima_logo.png

As others have said, identifying yourself with the very kind of thing you don't want to make seems like bad marketing. While the irony is there, I feel like what most people will pick up first is "this company makes shovelware" rather than your intended meaning, and that's likely to turn people off from even checking your games out in the first place sometimes.

I have made two adjustments. The third is the latest. Any opinions? Click to embiggen each image.

Links for opening conveniently in new tabs:
http://abload.de/img/screenshot_2014-06-21cusak.jpg
http://abload.de/img/colorstdjot.png
http://abload.de/img/colors2bnsro.png

I'd say the rightmost unit looks sort of weird in black due to how thin its colored body is, but the other teams' look fine. Is there a reason behind choosing black instead of good old green?

Also, I'd say that you'll have to work on ground tiles, since the dark color scheme could muddle the units' sprites. Say, they look way more readable while they're on the deployment platform than on the other dark grey + blue tiles.

Pulling together some marketing material. Opinions always welcomed.

pGhdOwg.png

YywmJOf.png

qCxUkas.png

yl10sLC.png

GFG8qs3.png

These all look gorgeous! I really dig the aesthetic, specially for the spider on the first image.

Blizzard

Banned
I'd say the rightmost unit looks sort of weird in black due to how thin its colored body is, but the other teams' look fine. Is there a reason behind choosing black instead of good old green?

Also, I'd say that you'll have to work on ground tiles, since the dark color scheme could muddle the units' sprites. Say, they look way more readable while they're on the deployment platform than on the other dark grey + blue tiles.
Thanks for the feedback! I went with white/gray/black rather than green because of color-blindness concerns between blue/green and blue/yellow. It may be unavoidable though.

I agree about ground tile contrast being important. I'm hoping I can do something like come up with a background-specific palette that does not overlap much with the unit palettes, so backgrounds can in general be more muted and the foreground units will easily show up.

ijed

Messing about with Unity for PSM over the last few nights on a game called Robot Vampire Hunter.

tumblr_n7juptUpFQ1sw1cpuo1_500.png

Started off being the Western Vampires but after messing about with rigidbodies it was obvious they should be the Jiang shi aka Chinese hopping vampires.
Didn't realise there was already a movie that looked exactly like what I was doing!
Has given me a tonne of ideas.

Just some combat at the moment.
webm

Blizzard

Banned
Another opinion question (all units on the left have some blue because I'm adjusting palettes and did not set up the swap for the new colors):

borderqak96.gif

The left units have a border added so that I don't have to deal with the nightmare scenario of what colors and brightnesses are allowed for background tiles. The right units are still borderless.

Which looks better? Even Advance Wars on DS used sprites with borders to make the units pop out of the background, but one opinion I have gotten so far suggests that the units on the left look more MS-Paint-esque.

Anyone know or listen to any good game development podcasts? The ones I've found are all inactive since last year, except the Game Dev Cast.

So over the last few weeks I have been trying out different genres until I find something I think is fun to play, previously it was a turn based prototype, then a space shooter and now I am thinking about a platformer, thankfully I reuse a lot of my asset packs so it's not too pricey, but I'm doing it more for fun and learning then an actual end goal.

Here is a quick vid of my platformer, this uses the awesome character physics pack to get it up and running quickly, however already I am thinking about changing it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxtsGxD1j_Y

I am looking at a possible minecraft cross with journey type game, not so much the block building/ destroying but more so the randomly generated world. However I do like the idea of exploring caves, setting flames for light, randomly placed enemies e.t.c I think it could be a fun twist on the overused minecraft type formula.

Limanima

As others have said, identifying yourself with the very kind of thing you don't want to make seems like bad marketing. While the irony is there, I feel like what most people will pick up first is "this company makes shovelware" rather than your intended meaning, and that's likely to turn people off from even checking your games out in the first place sometimes.
I'm convinced, going to think of something else... Thanks ppl you were of much help.

Blizzard

Banned

Another opinion question (all units on the left have some blue because I'm adjusting palettes and did not set up the swap for the new colors):

borderqak96.gif

The left units have a border added so that I don't have to deal with the nightmare scenario of what colors and brightnesses are allowed for background tiles. The right units are still borderless.

Which looks better? Even Advance Wars on DS used sprites with borders to make the units pop out of the background, but one opinion I have gotten so far suggests that the units on the left look more MS-Paint-esque.
After some discussion (thanks Makai!) here's a try with good old green instead.
colors6g1kgy.png

If anyone has opinions OR if anyone wants me to stop posting pictures as I attempt to get better at pixel art and colors, please let me know. :p

Loginius

Hi guys, my first time posting in this thread I have been lurking for a long time tho.
Great work being displayed in here, keep it up.

In fact I think this thread was one of the reasons me and a few friends started making a small game for our study assignment this semester.
Games are a very uncommon subject here at our school, the focus is on small movies or just assets most of the time, so it was a completely new experience not only for us but also for our supervising professor.

We only have/had about 3 months time so we tried to build something we thought we could manage in that timeframe. Interactions are very limited. We are still not done but development got into the final stage one week ago and I really hope we will have a playable protoype that only lacks a proper ui by the end of the month.

We knew from the start that interaction would be very limited and so we decided to go with a game that basically blatantly rips of the great concept in "stanley parable", a voice from the off that guides the player and little interaction other than choosing where to go.

We came up with the idea of two children, a brother and his sister, in their shared bedroom.
The sister cant sleep and asks the brother to tell her a good night story, he starts telling her a story about a boy who has to rescue a princess but at times the story starts to get a little scary and dangerous. At those times the girl might interrupt him changing the story to be more of a bright fairytale with unicorns and candy.

As the player you dictate where the story goes, will you choose to ignore unicorns and the like in order to quickly save the princess and face great danger or will you choose to follow the new elements the girl introduces to make the story a little brighter? But in the end how much control do you really have if its two children fighting over a story?

Having never worked on a game before we did some research on which engine to use and in the end decided on cryengine (3.5), that might seem like a strange thing to do for our first game ever but as we do not intend to publish our game, wont have many interaktive elements, wanted a first person experience and have many outdoor locations it seemed like a good fit (and were all german as well so we were interested in trying out a internationally recognized german software).

Atm our lvls are only greyboxed so instead I would like to share with you some shots of the assets I created for our game over these last two months:

Building this has probably been the most fun (ans stress) I ever had on a project, loved and still love every second of it.

Right, so I think it was Monday that I started messing around with Unity. This morning I have finished (i.e. given up) working on my first game, CRAP SHOOT.

(Based heavily, if not entirely, on this brilliant tutorial from Pixelnest)

I'm not really a fan of shooters, so I've not really been concerned with making anything particularly fun or involved, instead I've spent most of my energy re-familiarising myself with programming as I've not done any for about 10 years. I've got a few ideas for other games, now I guess it's just a case of boning up on a shit-load actual knowledge so I can start prototyping them.

Unity seems really nice to work with, I'm not surprised it's so popular.

Pehesse

It's been a while since I posted anything here!

Here are some new news about Honey :

-a bit late, but for screenshot saturday (or sunday, really), here's a "first look" video of how the visual segments work. As always : heavy wip, plenty of placeholders, terrible framerate because of whimsical video recording, but still you should be able to get an idea of how it's supposed to look like !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOe8GDCX9jg

As a preview of the preview, here are some of the BG images used in those VN segments :
tumblr_n7hf3rgLnV1s5t3fko1_500.png

tumblr_n7fn29S7C61s5t3fko1_1280.jpg

-fighting prototype testing has been going pretty well, too! I'll be getting back to it soon enough to start fixing everything that went wrong, expanding on what went right, and generally improving everything, hopefully.

-I hadn't mentioned here since, but many many thanks to this thread for allowing things like this to happen : http://indiegames.com/2014/06/honey_rose_underdog_fighter_ex.html

Amazing, unexpected, boosting, a lot of things! Really big thanks again to OnPoint, and also to you all for having this great place to discuss WIP's!

Hi guys, I have a question...I'm developing a 2.5d metroidvania with the core of the story based on a popular sci-fi book.

Do you think there would be any copyright issues? Only the core of the story is based on the book, all the characters, dialogue,environments etc... are completely different.

So the game's heavily "inspired" by the book? As long as it's not taking assets you should be fine.

Pulling together some marketing material. Opinions always welcomed.

yl10sLC.png

I loved all of them except this one. The quote just seems kinda silly. "Brave the dark" works since darkness is a universal element, but with "Solve the riddles" my reaction is just "what riddles?"

I think "Solve life's riddles" for example would sound better.

Belated Screenshot Saturday? Why not. Our team's been putting the final touches on one of our enemy designs.

(No idea how to scale images on GAF, if that's even possible?)
19942478a2.jpg

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I'm playing around with some PBR stuff in Unity for our game .... still very much a work-in-progress (gotta add some shading or different colours to all the metal parts, bolts etc.) ... but I just like the way it's starting to look :p

2014-06-22_191542.jpg

kyotokid

Neo Member
Long time posting, and even longer time posting some new work D:
We have been heads down working a heck of a lot these past few quiet months making some good progress :)

A screeny for screenshot saturday
cArAm8T.jpg

Still WIP and lots to add in the near future!

I'm also very impressed by some of the work being pumped into this thread, its a beautiful thing to follow

Really nice :)

Five

Banned
Long post, but peeps deserve attention, yo.

Messing about with Unity for PSM over the last few nights on a game called Robot Vampire Hunter.

Started off being the Western Vampires but after messing about with rigidbodies it was obvious they should be the Jiang shi aka Chinese hopping vampires.
Didn't realise there was already a movie that looked exactly like what I was doing!
Has given me a tonne of ideas.

This looks fun, but be wary that a lot of users will know you made them robots because it's easier to work with. If you're cutting corners somewhere, try to find other areas where you know you can excel so that people look past it.

Belated Screenshot Saturday? Why not. Our team's been putting the final touches on one of our enemy designs.

(No idea how to scale images on GAF, if that's even possible?)

Looks great! (by the way, GAF will scale down images to fit the page, and it will scale them down further if they're in quote tags, but don't worry about overly large images in this thread!)

It's been a while since I posted anything here!

Here are some new news about Honey :

-a bit late, but for screenshot saturday (or sunday, really), here's a "first look" video of how the visual segments work. As always : heavy wip, plenty of placeholders, terrible framerate because of whimsical video recording, but still you should be able to get an idea of how it's supposed to look like !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOe8GDCX9jg

As a preview of the preview, here are some of the BG images used in those VN segments :
tumblr_n7hf3rgLnV1s5t3fko1_500.png

tumblr_n7fn29S7C61s5t3fko1_1280.jpg

-fighting prototype testing has been going pretty well, too! I'll be getting back to it soon enough to start fixing everything that went wrong, expanding on what went right, and generally improving everything, hopefully.

-I hadn't mentioned here since, but many many thanks to this thread for allowing things like this to happen : http://indiegames.com/2014/06/honey_rose_underdog_fighter_ex.html

Nice article, and the art's looking good as ever. I'm hoping it's just Tumblr shrinking/compressing the images, though, because it'd be a shame to not have such good-looking art at higher resolution.

Hi guys, my first time posting in this thread I have been lurking for a long time tho.

[snip]

Atm our lvls are only greyboxed so instead I would like to share with you some shots of the assets I created for our game over these last two months:

Building this has probably been the most fun (ans stress) I ever had on a project, loved and still love every second of it.

Welcome to the thread. With pics like those, I hope you visit often! :)

After some discussion (thanks Makai!) here's a try with good old green instead.
colors6g1kgy.png

If anyone has opinions OR if anyone wants me to stop posting pictures as I attempt to get better at pixel art and colors, please let me know. :p

Honestly, I think my favorite picture yet is the one with the blue bases. Something about being two-toned instead of only a wash of one hue appeals to me more. Others may disagree, though.

So over the last few weeks I have been trying out different genres until I find something I think is fun to play, previously it was a turn based prototype, then a space shooter and now I am thinking about a platformer, thankfully I reuse a lot of my asset packs so it's not too pricey, but I'm doing it more for fun and learning then an actual end goal.

Here is a quick vid of my platformer, this uses the awesome character physics pack to get it up and running quickly, however already I am thinking about changing it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxtsGxD1j_Y

I am looking at a possible minecraft cross with journey type game, not so much the block building/ destroying but more so the randomly generated world. However I do like the idea of exploring caves, setting flames for light, randomly placed enemies e.t.c I think it could be a fun twist on the overused minecraft type formula.

I can tell you still have a long way to go, but it looks like you're off to a great start. I can tell by things like the leaning in the run that you'll be paying close attention to detail, and that's great! It's especially important when using a more abstract art style. Please keep us updated!

Ahaha that is an awesome idea

BqtgN6NCMAAwg0t.png:large

Ruins yo

Heh. You've definitely found a good artist.

So the game's heavily "inspired" by the book? As long as it's not taking assets you should be fine.

I loved all of them except this one. The quote just seems kinda silly. "Brave the dark" works since darkness is a universal element, but with "Solve the riddles" my reaction is just "what riddles?"

I think "Solve life's riddles" for example would sound better.

Yeah "Solve the Riddles" is definitely the one I had the most trouble with. I am just trying to imply that there are puzzle elements in the game. Maybe "Meet the challenge"?

I also have a cut for a new gameplay trailer. It's still unlisted and any feedback would be great.

Doing a lot of UI/X work this week. Even tiny things like "how do we express xp in fast environments?" get refined upon a ton. A lot of it will probably be playing with each a ton and doing research before we decide on one or the other.

Thoughts appreciated on placement, etc.

d811c9d9fe.jpg

Pehesse

Nice article, and the art's looking good as ever. I'm hoping it's just Tumblr shrinking/compressing the images, though, because it'd be a shame to not have such good-looking art at higher resolution.

Thanks!
Yeah, I think Tumblr's munching a bit on the images as well... The base screenshots are JPG, so there's some compression already, but the tumblr version turn out with even more artifacts somehow. The actual images are based on 1024x768 (resolution I'm shooting for - larger and I run into memory issues with C2, especially animation-wise. In windowed mode I find it just right, and still good looking enough in fullscreen mode at a high resolution like 1900x1080, with added black bars on the side. I'm still keeping around the workfiles in way higher resolution in case I ever need them, too :-D).

You're right that I should probably get around to making no compression screenshots to showcase how it looks, though, to give a better impression :-D

Five

Banned
Thanks!
Yeah, I think Tumblr's munching a bit on the images as well... The base screenshots are JPG, so there's some compression already, but the tumblr version turn out with even more artifacts somehow. The actual images are based on 1024x768 (resolution I'm shooting for - larger and I run into memory issues with C2, especially animation-wise. In windowed mode I find it just right, and still good looking enough in fullscreen mode at a high resolution like 1900x1080, with added black bars on the side. I'm still keeping around the workfiles in way higher resolution in case I ever need them, too :-D).

You're right that I should probably get around to making no compression screenshots to showcase how it looks, though, to give a better impression :-D

Hmm, as I suspected. What kind of memory footprint are you working in? I know you've got loads and loads of sprites per character, so I understand running into a ceiling.

Abe, I've always felt I have a knack for picking the right artist for the job.

Merely as a curiosity, where do you normally look for artists? (I don't need to find one or find work, I'm just curious)

Pehesse

Hmm, as I suspected. What kind of memory footprint are you working in? I know you've got loads and loads of sprites per character, so I understand running into a ceiling.

I'm actually not sure what you mean by memory footprint?
If I understand correctly : I'm using C2's memory usage estimate as a guideline : right now it says about 450Mb (I'm not totally sure what it means/entails, to be honest). There are plenty of unoptimized things, though, and it's mainly the fighting matches stuff that's taking a lot, and plenty will be reused, so I don't see that being multiplied for each match - the VN segment, so far, added something like 10 measly Mb even with all the unoptimized placeholders. Each fighting animation, on the other hand, can take 15 to 20, depending on length/size... so that's clearly my biggest hit, and the thing that determines the rest of the relative size.
I tried a bit bigger at first and the numbers went through the roof very fast, so I scaled down after the first couple animations :-D

Five

Banned
If I understand correctly : I'm using C2's memory usage estimate as a guideline : right now it says about 450Mb (I'm not totally sure what it means/entails, to be honest). There are plenty of unoptimized things, though, and it's mainly the fighting matches stuff that's taking a lot, and plenty will be reused, so I don't see that being multiplied for each match - the VN segment, so far, added something like 10 measly Mb even with all the unoptimized placeholders. Each fighting animation, on the other hand, can take 15 to 20, depending on length/size... so that's clearly my biggest hit, and the thing that determines the rest of the relative size.
I tried a bit bigger at first and the numbers went through the roof very fast, so I scaled down after the first couple animations :-D

That's exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks.

I'm pretty lucky that I can use skeletal animations. My main character has a 2048x128 texture (45kb) and a ~500kb json file and that's it, for over a hundred animations. But it makes for a different look, and I really like the way your game looks, so I wouldn't change a thing.

Pehesse

That's exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks.

I'm pretty lucky that I can use skeletal animations. My main character has a 2048x128 texture (45kb) and a ~500kb json file and that's it, for over a hundred animations. But it makes for a different look, and I really like the way your game looks, so I wouldn't change a thing.

No problem :-D Those numbers actually make me kind of envious! :-D That's the trade-off to my technique, I suppose... (also your animations look lovely and intricate! I certainly couldn't afford so many different states/transitions)
I'll see how far I can push things, right now I've had no reports of performance hits, but that's something I'm definitely keeping an eye out for. Right now I'm developing for PC, but if I ever got the opportunity to target other platforms, I'm sure those memory numbers would need to be even more closely watched. Right now I'm assuming that reexporting my assets at a lower, more appropriate resolution would do the trick, but... well, we'll see about that when we get there, if we get there :)

Five

Banned
No problem :-D Those numbers actually make me kind of envious! :-D That's the trade-off to my technique, I suppose... (also your animations look lovely and intricate! I certainly couldn't afford so many different states/transitions)
I'll see how far I can push things, right now I've had no reports of performance hits, but that's something I'm definitely keeping an eye out for. Right now I'm developing for PC, but if I ever got the opportunity to target other platforms, I'm sure those memory numbers would need to be even more closely watched. Right now I'm assuming that reexporting my assets at a lower, more appropriate resolution would do the trick, but... well, we'll see about that when we get there, if we get there :)

Hey, thanks. Well, good luck with that. Performance is definitely key.

Blizzard

Banned
Honestly, I think my favorite picture yet is the one with the blue bases. Something about being two-toned instead of only a wash of one hue appeals to me more. Others may disagree, though.
Others aren't offering opinions so I shall reply to you. =P

Uniform vs. blue bases (keep two different blue colors for the base).

I could of course mess with hues still further, since I feel like using blue in everything could be weird, but what do you (or others) think? I could also try light gray for the bases.

vivin

I'm playing around with some PBR stuff in Unity for our game .... still very much a work-in-progress (gotta add some shading or different colours to all the metal parts, bolts etc.) ... but I just like the way it's starting to look :p

2014-06-22_191542.jpg

Are you using shaderforge on the PBR stuff?
The mateirals are definitely looking like different surfaces, nice job! Since its metal, go crazy on the coloured specular highlights ;) that should help make it really pop

TunaUppercut

Neo Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure this is about how much vram you are currently using.

https://www.scirra.com/blog/112/remember-not-to-waste-your-memory

Blizzard

Banned
More for the Last Knight intro:
lnVWTm9.jpg

Instead of making everything in the intro super high poly I make it all low poly. :)
This is almost so fast it's motion-sickness-inducing, but it looks great, I love the style. It reminds me a bit of The Witness, which I'm looking forward to!

Neo Child

Banned
Where would you look for good freelance artists?

gamedev.net has a section for recruiting on their forums, would try there?

Also

Is there any start-up grant scheme in the United Kingdom that I could apply for for a game development team? Things that this grant would pay for: licensing fees, production fees, software etc..

JulianImp

I know this isn't drawGAF, but here's another sketch I made today in about three and a half hours:

For this one, I've experimented with circular, 25% opacity overlays for the orange lights in the background and the shadows in the foreground, as well as a couple mushrooms for decoration. The shading still doesn't feel organic to me, probably since it's mostly parallel lines in different tones, but hopefully it's a start.

I didn't make an animated gif this time because I did several steps that ended up overriding previous ones, so they couldn't be replayed.

Ashodin

Merely as a curiosity, where do you normally look for artists? (I don't need to find one or find work, I'm just curious)

TIGSource, also just doing searches for "x type of artist" on google leads me to forums where they congregate like moths around a flame

khaaan

Geez, everyone is so talented. Makes me feel bad about my dinky little project.

I'm just starting out and I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. For reference, I'm using PSM but I think an equivalent answer for XNA/Mono would be valid. So I'm dabbling in creating a top-down 2-D sprite based RPG and I wasn't sure how to best create the world. With no real knowledge about the subject, my first approach would be to hard-code or read in something like an XML file or a 2D array where an integer code would define what sprite goes where. Also, is it more efficient from a technical perspective to use large quantities of smaller sprites or fewer instances of large sprites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom