• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noogy

IMO: Indie games are games made without a publisher. Simple as that. I don't like how the term has become associated to some kind of quality or style. I disagree with the notion that indie games are 'creative artistic works of passion' versus 'robotic AAA cash-grabs'. And frankly I feel very critical of how Sony or Microsoft have been trying to get 'gamer cred' by focusing on these kind of indie games. The next 'minimalistic narrative platformer about a character dealing with personal grief' is getting just as tired of a trope as any recent EA FPS.

This is pretty much how I feel. And it annoys me that many would rather we 'lose' the term, when it actually means quite a bit to those of us who are truly independent.

Indie != artsy.

V_Arnold

I think that only a glance at this thread shows what indies are about. Not having a contract from a publisher to develop games but instead working on your own, usually having small teams or no teams at all.

Yeah, the lines are going to get blurred eventually: I would not call anything Notch makes "indie" in the traditional sense. But that would not degrade his approach one bit: just because he has the money to support his wishes does not make his games less original and interesting.

So at the end of the day, it does not matter. And language does not work like that anyway: wishing to stop using a term wont do shit. The term indie is here to stay, imho.

razu

Yep, indie, independent. That's it.

I would like a cool label for being a solo developer though, like in music you get singer-songwriter, and football has player-manager. You always get called one-man-band, which just ain't cool.

Don't give up, man! You're almost there! Last push! :)

Don't hesitate to show us progress!

Thanks, hoping the timing works out for this last push :p Day job isn't helping, for sure. I could be home right now taking care of this problem!

And yeah I'll try to pop in here later in the week once the craziness to scramble a build together is over and put up some media.

Five

Banned
When people ask what I do in my spare time, I say independent game development. Is there a more accurate way to put it that I'm missing?

Maybe the shortening to "indie" is a bit trite, and maybe it's somewhat confusing that Valve and Double Fine are technically indies even if they don't fit the general mold, but I don't think that's a reason to stop using the word.

Just because you can't pin down exactly what an indie is doesn't mean it's lost its value as a descriptor. Nobody can say what exactly a hipster is, but pretty much everyone agrees that they exist and have some notion of what you're talking about when you call someone a hipster.

Blizzard

Banned
I think indie = independent developer = developer without a publisher makes sense and is fine.

People may wish to associate a term with budget constraints but I think you can just say "low-budget games" or "high-budget games" if you want to do that.

Jobbs

Banned
This is pretty much how I feel. And it annoys me that many would rather we 'lose' the term, when it actually means quite a bit to those of us who are truly independent.

Indie != artsy.

Agree... Indie just means you made the game without a publisher. I don't even particularly like artsy games. I'd make the most high production value game ever if I could.

After months of frustration, piles of prototypes, I'm ready to start working on something I want to finish. I've worked on everything you see from soup to nuts in about 15 hours with GameMaker, not that that's an accomplishment.

6scCvNH.png

Space Station. I want to make a 2D space station exploration game inspired by System Shock 2. I'm trying to find a balance to make core mechanics like inventory management and "using" objects in the environment less easy and more frantic than most 2D games so I'm working on a system where you can only use your mouse to inspect and use the surroundings in a limited box and view

L4ujzmM.gif

Lastly, I'm working on it being real dark, so this is some messy lighting

8wgy0iK.gif

All graphics are placeholder and I'm new- sorry if I broke any image rules!

This sounds really interesting.

Abe Bly said:
When people ask what I do in my spare time, I say independent game development. Is there a more accurate way to put it that I'm missing?

I just say 'game developer/designer hobbyist'(even on my linkedin). Since I haven't shipped a product or shone any real WIP that would indicate me being such, I am a little reluctant to call myself an independent game developer for that reason.

Five

Banned
I just say 'game developer/designer hobbyist'(even on my linkedin). Since I haven't shipped a product or shone any real WIP that would indicate me being such, I am a little reluctant to call myself an independent game developer for that reason.

Well, as a general rule, hobbyists are independent, but I see your point.

Abe Bly said:
Well, as a general rule, hobbyists are independent, but I see your point.

True, difference being, you have actually shone some kind of WIP and quite possibly have some kind of road map that would indicate a shipped product. So I think you can go beyond 'hobbyist'. I just try to be respectful to those that actually do this full time and are out there grindin and getting laid off and such.

I guess you can say it's a 'cred'/respect thing for me, as silly as that sounds.

Five

Banned
True, difference being, you have actually shone some kind of WIP and quite possibly have some kind of road map that would indicate a shipped product. So I think you can go beyond 'hobbyist'. I just try to be respectful to those that actually do this full time and are out there grindin and getting laid off and such.

I guess you can say it's a 'cred'/respect thing for me, as silly as that sounds.

Are you planning on getting a publisher at some point? Because until you do, you're independent.

Yoda made a controversial statement when he said "Do, or do not; There is no try." but I think it's applicable here. You can try to get a job as an artist. You can try to get your artwork noticed. You can try to improve your skills as an artist. But you can't try to be an artist. You can be an artist or not be one.

Was wondering if I could get a little help.

I'm trying to divine exactly what happens when doing XNA's SpriteBatch::Draw with rotation about a center.

The API is:
Code:
public void Draw (
         Texture2D texture,
         Rectangle destinationRectangle,
         Nullable<Rectangle> sourceRectangle,
         Color color,
         float rotation,
         Vector2 origin,
         SpriteEffects effects,
         float layerDepth
)

destinationRectangle is in screen coordinates (actually, for me it is "world" coordinates and I have put a transform matrix on the SpriteBatch via Begin to get to screen coordinates). sourceRectangle and origin are in texture coordinates.

I've got a small texture that is meant to be rotated about a hex to form a border. The default state of the texture is the east side of the hex, so my origin is (-hex_texture_radius, border_texture_height).

I'm trying to implement the same thing in Unity and to do so am curious what goes on behind the scenes. Somehow XNA does the rotation about the origin and then uses the transform matrix applied to the SpriteBatch to get it into the correct spot.

You are still independent, you are developing something, without the backing of big publisher.

But then again, I would not put "independent" on my Linkedin just because it's too much unnecessary info that won't matter when you look for a job.

Was wondering if I could get a little help.

I'm trying to divine exactly what happens when doing XNA's SpriteBatch::Draw with rotation about a center.

The API is:
Code:
public void Draw (
         Texture2D texture,
         Rectangle destinationRectangle,
         Nullable<Rectangle> sourceRectangle,
         Color color,
         float rotation,
         Vector2 origin,
         SpriteEffects effects,
         float layerDepth
)

destinationRectangle is in screen coordinates (actually, for me it is "world" coordinates and I have put a transform matrix on the SpriteBatch via Begin to get to screen coordinates). sourceRectangle and origin are in texture coordinates.

I've got a small texture that is meant to be rotated about a hex to form a border. The default state of the texture is the east side of the hex, so my origin is (-hex_texture_radius, border_texture_height).

I'm trying to implement the same thing in Unity and to do so am curious what goes on behind the scenes. Somehow XNA does the rotation about the origin and then uses the transform matrix applied to the SpriteBatch to get it into the correct spot.

maybe this link may help you : http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/21220/how-exactly-does-xnas-spritebatch-work

but basically there is a transformation first for the origin, you just need to translate the texture to the origin, then rotate and then move it back so it will be rotated against the origin , but if you add a transformation matrix to spritebatch then the origin will be used against the matrix given

Indie != artsy.

Why does the term mean something to you?

Personally I'd be fine if we lost the term all together and "artsy" just became its own genre.

Tenki

Well, for me, as many have said, indie = no publisher, be the game the most beautiful game in the world or the ugliest. If you are independent, you are independent, no matter how the game is.

Well, for me, as many have said, indie = no publisher, be the game the most beautiful game in the world or the ugliest. If you are independent, you are independent, no matter how the game is.

Risk of Rain was published by Chucklefish.
Cloudberry Kingdom was published by Ubisoft.
Volgarr the Viking was published by Adult Swim.
Bastion was published by WB Interactive.

What are you all smoking with this "indie = no publisher" idea?

Publisher &#8800; Bad Thing.

maybe this link may help you : http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/21220/how-exactly-does-xnas-spritebatch-work

but basically there is a transformation first for the origin, you just need to translate the texture to the origin, then rotate and then move it back so it will be rotated against the origin , but if you add a transformation matrix to spritebatch then the origin will be used against the matrix given

Thanks, that is a very useful link (and the further links to Mono's implementation). I'll plug away at it a bit.

Gah, I feel like I'm close...

Code:
public void Draw(Texture2D texture, Rectangle destinationRectangle, Rectangle sourceRectangle, Color color, float rotation, Vector2 origin, SpriteEffects effects, float layerDepth)
{
	UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 matrixSaved = GUI.matrix;
	Rect sourceRect = getSourceRect(texture, sourceRectangle);
	Vector2 originNew = new Vector2(origin.X * ((float)destinationRectangle.Width / (float)sourceRectangle.Width),
	                                origin.Y * ((float)destinationRectangle.Height / (float)sourceRectangle.Height));
	float rotationAngle = rotation * Mathf.Rad2Deg;
	GUI.matrix *= UnityEngine.Matrix4x4.TRS(new UnityEngine.Vector3(-originNew.X, -originNew.Y, 0.0f), 
	                                        Quaternion.identity, 
	                                        UnityEngine.Vector3.one);
	GUI.DrawTextureWithTexCoords(new Rect(destinationRectangle.Left, destinationRectangle.Top, destinationRectangle.Width, destinationRectangle.Height),
	                             texture,
	                             sourceRect);
	GUI.matrix = matrixSaved;
}

// Maps a XNA source rectangle (with 0,0 at UL and measurements in pixels) to a Unity source rectangle (with 0,0 at LL and measurements as %age of total texture size).
private Rect getSourceRect(Texture2D texture, Rectangle sourceRectangle)
{
	Rect sourceRect = new Rect((float)sourceRectangle.Left / (float)texture.width,
	                           (float)(texture.height - (sourceRectangle.Top + sourceRectangle.Height)) / (float)texture.height,
	                           (float)sourceRectangle.Width / (float)texture.width,
	                           (float)sourceRectangle.Height / (float)texture.height);
	return sourceRect;
}

GUI.matrix is already set on entrance to Draw with what I passed to SpriteBatch.Begin. I'm not supporting color or effects yet, but desperately trying to get rotation working. I tried adding it into the TRS but couldn't get it working. Also tried GUIUtility.RotateAroundPivot to no avail.

Basically I'm seeking to do all of my development in XNA and Visual Studio, but copy the files to Unity and with small wrappers like the above code have the XNA code work.

Yeah, I brought up this point in the other thread. I think the idea of indie = no publisher doesn't really apply anymore. Broforce is being published by Devolver, Rain World by Cartoon Network, Sheltered by Team17, etc. Are these games no longer "indie"? Using Rain World as an example because I follow its devlog, nothing has changed for the two developers. Cartoon Network as a publisher allows them to be featured at expos and shows, easier access to press coverage, but in terms of actual development, it's still just two guys working on a game

Personally, I feel what makes a game "indie" is the context and content of the game, more about the spirit in which the game was developed, the themes and narratives a game might hope to present, that makes a game "indie" compared to bigger titles.

Blizzard

Banned

No one said it was a bad thing.

If they have a publisher I would say they're not independent. It's a definition -- you could be one person in your garage and still be dependent, if you have to work with a publisher.

Yeah, I brought up this point in the other thread. I think the idea of indie = no publisher doesn't really apply anymore. Broforce is being published by Devolver, Rain World by Cartoon Network, Sheltered by Team17, etc. Are these games no longer "indie"? Using Rain World as an example because I follow its devlog, nothing has changed for the two developers. Cartoon Network as a publisher allows them to be featured at expos and shows, easier access to press coverage, but in terms of actual development, it's still just two guys working on a game

Personally, I feel what makes a game "indie" is the context and content of the game, more about the spirit in which the game was developed, the themes and narratives a game might hope to present, that makes a game "indie" compared to bigger titles.
I can understand the "indie feel" or whatnot that some people associate with a word, but it's simply not the definition of "independent", I would say. It's not a sign of shame if you work with a publisher, or have a company, or have millions of dollars in Mojang or Valve's cases.

With anything else, even if the world collectively agreed to change the meaning of the word, it becomes somewhat meaningless if it gets redefined as "small budget" or "low production values" or "quirky theme". You end up with counterexamples every time, or the "but is it indie ENOUGH" question.

Ashodin

My issue with "indie" is when studios who are way more popular and command respect/fanbase declare themselves as indie but don't recognize that they're considered AAA by the media. Those groups dwarf the lesser guys and make the truly small indies seem non-existent.

Blizzard

Banned
beamskajc1.gif

Only one unit would ever attack at a time ingame, so this synchronization is just for testing purposes. This shows my foreground and background team palettes that I'm going to try to use for a bit as I start on gameplay. It's not perfect but it should be workable until later polishing or rework. The actual battlefield background still hasn't been reworked at all.

Related to gameplay, I have a very simple spawning GUI that pops up when you click a spawn square, so you can place one of 3 types of units on the map now according to the spawn square colors. Next I need to focus on functionality like selecting a unit, moving it, and commanding it to attack.

Dascu

Mhm. If they're published, they're not indie. I find the attachment to the 'spirit and context' to be so vague and abstract. And I find that, even in the way you put it, as if it's almost a valuation already. 'The themes and narratives a game might hope to present'? Come on, son. That's putting them on a pedestal and implying that non-indies are gutless and artless factory products. It starts to sound a bit pretentious and it fuels this ridiculously stupid debate where I see people being for or against 'indie games'.

And while I'm at it, let me also say that JRPG = RPG made in Japan and same for WRPG. There's little usefulness to the distinction then, but the term is meaningless anyway when associated trying to describe genre. We already have turn-based, real-time, strategy or first-person RPG to indicate what the game plays like.

Noogy

Why does the term mean something to you?

Personally I'd be fine if we lost the term all together and "artsy" just became its own genre.

Independence is important to me because it means I'm self-funded and own my IP, and generally reliant on my own ability to sell my wares. It has nothing to do with the type of games I make. Independence is not a genre or style. I also don't think it's all that 'cool' or 'edgy', as it's actually a very hard way to make a living. To act like that means nothing is actually somewhat offensive.

missile

When others do a game in 48h, I do an edit box! xD Damn!
Well, the basic edit element is almost working. Below is a little
demonstration. Upon pressing return the windows' title will be changed.

6dBPlF9.gif

Bit-Bit

Independence is important to me because it means I'm self-funded and own my IP, and generally reliant on my own ability to sell my wares. It has nothing to do with the type of games I make. Independence is not a genre or style. I also don't think it's all that 'cool' or 'edgy', as it's actually a very hard way to make a living. To act like that means nothing is actually somewhat offensive.

This.

Being able to do whatever you want without someone dictacting the game content because of what they think the "market" wants. Its why I love Indie games so much. The developers of those games aren't making Generic FPS of The Year. They're making something that is unique and I can feel it when I play it.

Tenki

I don't think having a publisher is a bad thing. In fact, it can give you some financial stability.

But if Risk of Rain, Cloudberry Kingdom, Volgarr, Bastion, Hotline Miami 2 all do have a publisher, for me they're not indie anymore. And that's not a bad thing, nor a good thing.

Mr. Virus

Indie != artsy.

Is that independently funded or just no publisher help whatsoever? Curious to find out what people think about Devolver, Curve, etc who do help with some publishing stuff but don't own the rights to the IP or shell out cash.

Edit: Late to the party on this one. Should read further down the page before posting.

V_Arnold

Blizzard: may I suggest that you add particle effects to the shooting laser itself? The same effects, in a line, just one frame before the line appears. That would make it more OOMPH-like. Just like Lux's ultimate in League of Legends, or the Yamato cannon's shooting of Archangel (Gundam Seed!).

Missile: keep up dat Gui-work! I think that regardless of how many ui elements you have, you should not update all. You can keep a reference to the currently active layer/element and on closing it, you could return to its parent element, for example.

Alternatively (or beside it), you can have an ui manager that gets an input position/keypress and then has a reference table for menu coordinates. If a menu coordinates are matched AND they are the currently active menus, then you can have a menu.onClick or menu.execute(menu.function), etc.

In my system, an ui_element can contain other ui_elements, and its button clicks opened up either other ui_elements, OR at the end of the "line", somewhere, an execute function appeared. You can even play with visibility based on whether you are folded/unfolded.

I do not even know why I typed all of this, for you most likely know it already, but I recall you asking for tricks a few posts above. :D

I don't think having a publisher is a bad thing. In fact, it can give you some financial stability.

But if Risk of Rain, Cloudberry Kingdom, Volgarr, Bastion, Hotline Miami 2 all do have a publisher, for me they're not indie anymore. And that's not a bad thing, nor a good thing.

I just don't understand this- Risk of Rain was made by 2 college kids in their spare time in GameMaker 8. Because they had some distribution help they're not indie?

If we're defining indie by "publisher" and "non-publisher", then we're defining indies by the size of their team. Gone are the days where indies are selling IP rights along with with publishing, so let's stop knocking these guys "indie cred" for accepting some help, financial or otherwise.

I wish this argument never existed, nobody was complaining or didn't understand why some games are called indie. Getting rid of the name "indie" is destroying the most powerful thing indies have: a category brand to set them apart from AAA and gain visibility.

V_Arnold

I wish this argument never existed, nobody was complaining or didn't understand why some games are called indie. Getting rid of the name "indie" is destroying the most powerful thing indies have: a category brand to set them apart from AAA and gain visibility.

And there you have it: the agenda behind this "getting rid of indie" title. Most AAA publishers WANT to destroy indie, they have transformed gaming into this cutscene-ridden "epic" show was exactly because these type of games require huge fiinancial investement, and therefore the market can be controlled easily. They do not like Minecraft-like hits taking away their power and marketshare. They want people to compare a mid-sized indie game with the newest Assassin's Creed and go "hey, AC looks better, yo! Better preorder it somewhere".

I know this sounds like a tinfoil theory, but it really is not. It is their financial interest.

missile

... Missile: keep up dat Gui-work! I think that regardless of how many ui elements you have, you should not update all. You can keep a reference to the currently active layer/element and on closing it, you could return to its parent element, for example.

Alternatively (or beside it), you can have an ui manager that gets an input position/keypress and then has a reference table for menu coordinates. If a menu coordinates are matched AND they are the currently active menus, then you can have a menu.onClick or menu.execute(menu.function), etc. ...
As my GUI gets more complex I will definitely need more optimizations like
these. Not updating all elements, or setting the update frequency per element,
will be a good feature. Regarding menus (which I will do further down the
road), are you updating the reference table for the menu coordinates per frame
or are they static/fixed?

... In my system, an ui_element can contain other ui_elements, and its button clicks opened up either other ui_elements, OR at the end of the "line", somewhere, an execute function appeared. You can even play with visibility based on whether you are folded/unfolded. ...
Same over here about the containment. It's pretty much up to the programmer
to organize the elements within elements.

... I do not even know why I typed all of this, for you most likely know it already, but I recall you asking for tricks a few posts above. :D
Yeah, I did. And thanx lot! :+

V_Arnold

As my GUI gets more complex I will definitely need more optimizations like
these. Not updating all elements, or setting the update frequency per element,
will be a good feature. Regarding menus (which I will do further down the
road), are you updating the reference table for the menu coordinates per frame
or are they static/fixed?

Created when you load the scene that contains the menu structure, updated only when menu items are destroyed/added/removed. Otherwise, static.*
*Or when your "button.onclick" actually moves the menu around, which is a possibility :D

Back on topic....

Added a makeshift HUD and working on a double lighting system. Always is a small glow around you that shows very little distance, the other is using your flashlight which dies with intensity as your power drains in the bottom right hand corner. New character sprite and walking. Cruising with this.

XzQ2BmW.gif

I just don't understand this- Risk of Rain was made by 2 college kids in their spare time in GameMaker 8. Because they had some distribution help they're not indie?

If we're defining indie by "publisher" and "non-publisher", then we're defining indies by the size of their team. Gone are the days where indies are selling IP rights along with with publishing, so let's stop knocking these guys "indie cred" for accepting some help, financial or otherwise.

You gain no visibility when everyone is using the term Indie these days. There's no visibility to be gained from that term, it's dead. EA has used it, for crying out loud.

To be honest I think the term has been twisted by so many people it is entirely meaningless now. Some people say it's a budget thing, others say it's an "art" thing. Others say independent of publishers. Yet what games are associated with the term?

Games like Hotline Miami which is not an "art" game (not a slag at it, its a good game, but can we agree it's not trying to be an "art" game?)

Games like Volgarr the Viking (publisher backing)

Games with huge budgets like Rust.

Even team sizes are debated. So when everyone is using the word for whatever they please... well that means the word is meaningless now.

What do you call yourself if you pour your heart and soul, your personal savings, your life, into your games? What do you call people who are not motivated by financial success but by the dream of making their vision a reality?

Not Indie. Not anymore.

You gain no visibility when everyone is using the term Indie these days

Wrong
EqqDNDG.png

Wrong
jhzmhyF.png

Wrong
ZhTCO2s.png

Games like Volgarr the Viking (publisher backing)

You don't understand publishing, do you? (Volgarr was Kickstarted, by the by.)

Games with huge budgets like Rust.

That budget came from Garry Newman's success, having been a one-man team creating Garry's Mod as a Source Mod in 2004. Should indies not spend the money they make?

Games like Hotline Miami which is not an "art" game (not a slag at it, its a good game, but can we agree it's not trying to be an "art" game?)

I'm sorry, are you actually being serious here?

To be honest I think the term has been twisted by so many people it is entirely meaningless now.

Not Indie. Not anymore.

Can we all please quit the ridiculous hyperboles, agree that this argument is absolutely a needless conversation and go play Shovel Knight from the Indie section of your desired platform? Please?

Wrong
EqqDNDG.png

Wrong
jhzmhyF.png

Wrong
ZhTCO2s.png

You don't understand publishing, do you? (Volgarr was Kickstarted, by the by.)

That budget came from Garry Newman's success, having been a one-man team creating Garry's Mod as a Source Mod in 2004. Should indies not spend the money they make?

I'm sorry, are you actually being serious here?

Can we all please quit the ridiculous hyperboles, agree that this argument is absolutely a needless conversation and go play Shovel Knight from the Indie section of your desired platform? Please?

Please refrain from the personal attacks. I spoke my point and I see no reason to discuss with someone who at the first outset decides to start bashing for no reason. In the future, you may find more meaningful debate if you approach people with a less aggressive attitude. You don't dictate what other people do/do not discuss, specially not after you spoke your piece on the matter.

You're pretty obviously trolling me, and that's fine, this is the web. Thankfully we have an ignore function on these boards (I am making use of it, so don't bother quoting me in future posts expecting a response of some sort).

Hope the rest of your interactions go better here!

For the rest of folks, you may be interested in the fact that not just Indie games get kickstarted (Harmonix kickstarted a game recently, did they not?). Lots of examples out there.

Everyone has their definition of indie. That's the whole point here, a word doesn't mean anything if it can have multiple meanings depending on the person. It's like you told someone "get me a chair" but then they bring you a sandwich because they feel a sandwich fits the definition of a chair in their minds. Should it go away as a term? I don't know, I don't get to make the call. Whatever, call the games what you will, not going to stop me from making it. This is more apt for media to talk about anyways, since in the end they're the ones feeding the terms to users in their news stories.

Blizzard

Banned
What do you call yourself if you pour your heart and soul, your personal savings, your life, into your games? What do you call people who are not motivated by financial success but by the dream of making their vision a reality?

Not Indie. Not anymore.
If they're independent of publishers, you can call them independent developers or indies. :p

Otherwise the term is just "game developer". If someone lacks a publisher but is just out to make money, not caring about making a vision a reality, they wouldn't meet your definition.

If someone doesn't pour their "life" into it, they wouldn't meet your definition.

Perhaps most importantly, people who work at AAA studios and have crazy, inhumane crunch times, who ALSO want to make their vision a reality, and pour their life and health into a game...they wouldn't even meet your definition. If people want better money and a more sane lifestyle, they wouldn't be working at a game studio to begin with.

So, calling them game developers, and attaching adjectives if they're especially praiseworthy, would seem accurate to me, whether or not there is a publisher.

Blizzard: may I suggest that you add particle effects to the shooting laser itself? The same effects, in a line, just one frame before the line appears. That would make it more OOMPH-like. Just like Lux's ultimate in League of Legends, or the Yamato cannon's shooting of Archangel (Gundam Seed!).
Good idea, thanks. :) I would have to change how I draw the laser slightly but it should be doable.

Please refrain from the personal attacks. I spoke my point and I see no reason to discuss with someone who at the first outset decides to start bashing for no reason. In the future, you may find more meaningful debate if you approach people with a less aggressive attitude.

Apologies for the aggressiveness and nothing personal at all truly. I'm simply frustrated with the broad assumptions and unsupported lumping being done in this thread- your post included.

We're arguing for something that will detract from the success of the current & future independent developers, and for what? A more "proper" definition and even more elitism than already exists in the category? Frustrating.

Does anyone know of any tools similar to SFXR that could be used to generate faux speech? Similar to the kinds of gibberish you'll come across in Papers Please and Animal Crossing.

SFXR is great, but just doesn't seem a good fit for those sorts of noises.

If they're independent of publishers, you can call them independent developers or indies. :p

Otherwise the term is just "game developer". If someone lacks a publisher but is just out to make money, not caring about making a vision a reality, they wouldn't meet your definition.

If someone doesn't pour their "life" into it, they wouldn't meet your definition.

Perhaps most importantly, people who work at AAA studios and have crazy, inhumane crunch times, who ALSO want to make their vision a reality, and pour their life and health into a game...they wouldn't even meet your definition. If people want better money and a more sane lifestyle, they wouldn't be working at a game studio to begin with.

So, calling them game developers, and attaching adjectives if they're especially praiseworthy, would seem accurate to me, whether or not there is a publisher.

Good idea, thanks. :) I would have to change how I draw the laser slightly but it should be doable.

Yeah I agree. I personally don't use the word "indie" anymore since I feel it just doesn't communicate much of anything anymore. Btw I didn't really mean to imply my definition of indie was all those things, those are just examples of things I've seen people say are criteria for being indie. Each person said one of those things (one says no publisher, other says publishers ok but small team, others say its ok if their game is artistic/groundbreaking). It was just meant to be an example of how the term has lost meaning because people append so many different definitions to it.

I agree that AAA doesn't necessarily give up the life pouring aspect of things, like I said, someone else's definition used as an example. Although I would argue that a project you came up with, funded out of pocket, and worked on for years solo or with a team you managed, is a lot more involved than most AAA devs are with their projects.

The attachment level is different, though the work time involved may be similar. (although I doubt many AAA devs go to work at 8 AM then go to bed at 3:30AM like I have been for the last two months, working my day job and then doing my dev at night). It's basically like having two jobs.

Kritz

Banned
I guess part of the conversation is whether there should be a semantic difference between "Independent" and "Indie", although presumably that only serves to remove games from the "indie" label that are otherwise independent of publishers, and add those that are of a smaller development scope but otherwise have a publisher.

This might just be me, and I'm not really fussed on the technicalities, but I'd probably consider Journey to be an "indie" game even though I'm really just using the term as shorthand for "small game".

Perhaps the problem lies with video game genres as a whole, because I think there's a certain lack of definition available to describe games, and saying that Journey's a 3d platformer or that Hotline Miami's a top down beat 'em up or that Papers Please is a.. spot the difference puzzle?, it's not incorrect, it's just not incredibly descriptive.

Though we've somehow ended up with genres called "Roguelike" and "Casual" and "Multiplayer Online Battle Arena", so maybe the conclusion to this is that nobody has a fucking clue how to categorise a game and let's just all go make shootbangers for EA.

V_Arnold

The attachment level is different, though the work time involved may be similar. (although I doubt many AAA devs go to work at 8 AM then go to bed at 3:30AM like I have been for the last two months, working my day job and then doing my dev at night). It's basically like having two jobs.

Have you heard of crunch time? MANY AAA devs cant help but do exactly that, sometimes up to the point of not even leaving the office. Not to mention that these type of hours are not even properly compensated in many cases, PLUS they do not benefit from a success the same way their publishers do. So it is not all heaven/hell situation either.

Does anyone know of any tools similar to SFXR that could be used to generate faux speech? Similar to the kinds of gibberish you'll come across in Papers Please and Animal Crossing.

SFXR is great, but just doesn't seem a good fit for those sorts of noises.

Just discovered that the voices in Papers Please were largely generated with the OS X terminal command say. How handy.

Have you heard of crunch time? MANY AAA devs cant help but do exactly that, sometimes up to the point of not even leaving the office. Not to mention that these type of hours are not even properly compensated in many cases, PLUS they do not benefit from a success the same way their publishers do. So it is not all heaven/hell situation either.

I know about crunch time. It's part of the many reasons I chose not to go into game dev professionally as a career choice (I just do it now for fun to realize my vision/scratch that itch). I have quite a few friends who work in the industry, one of them in Blizzard and in Riot.

The thing is, this isn't my crunch time. I'm nowhere near release.

I've been doing this for the last 2 years. Maybe not till 3:30AM the whole time, more like 1:30 AM usually.

Yes, I am very tired. More so today though, those two hours make a big difference, it seems. I'm sure I'm not the only one losing sleep on this thread though for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom