• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasos_333

What's the best way to add "marks" to an object in unity? Say I'm shooting something and want to alter the texture where it was shot?

I assume I can just use raycasts to determine where I hit, but what to do after?

You could change the texture, but could also use a decal system to just project a bullet hole or what is needed at the point of impact.

Pulling together some marketing material. Opinions always welcomed.
qCxUkas.png
I really like all of these..

But I just can't unsee a dick constellation.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Just so you all know, this guy is a zombie vampire lawyer. I guess I should draw a suitcase in his hand or something. Hard to convey something so utterly pure awesome.

D5sbi6q.gif

missile

Oops. You're right. That was my mistake. Leaving it in the over state in that situation is indeed the thing to do.
Thx for verifying. :+

Yeah. I'm one of those programmers that have trouble solving a problem using a tailored solution that takes very little time implementing. Instead I find myself writing general code that does what I want along with a bunch of other things that I may or may not have any use for and that takes a lot of time to implement. ...
Tailored solutions. Ha! Can be so boring at times. I pretty much corner any
work where I don't have to put any thoughts into. ;)

Edit: Was a week away from the machine doing some business related stuff in
gaining some money/time for keeping NG going another couple of months. Looks
good. :+ Back to work...

JulianImp

What's the best way to add "marks" to an object in unity? Say I'm shooting something and want to alter the texture where it was shot?

I assume I can just use raycasts to determine where I hit, but what to do after?

The simplest way to do decals would be creating a quad at the collision point facing the surface's normal, move it a TINY bit along that normal to avoid Z-fighting with the wall, and then assigning a bullet hole texture to it.

If you end up using this simple decal implementation, I'd recommend that you use a pool to store the decals, and make them fade out and return to the pool after a while. You'd also have to make a system where the pool automatically takes the oldest decal and reuses it instantly whenever it has run out of instances, because that's something that could be happening if you have automatic weapons and/or several actors firing at once.

Dascu

Does anyone here have experience with making snow or wind effects in Unity? I'm planning to make a nice strong blizzard for Malebolgia.

JulianImp

Does anyone here have experience with making snow or wind effects in Unity? I'm planning to make a nice strong blizzard for Malebolgia.

Most of the time, I fiddle with the particle settings for a while until I find a configuration that fits what I had in mind.

For simulating a blizzard, I'd probably apply some fog to the scene, and keep a flat particle emitter a fair bit above the character. To make the particles get blown by the wind, I'd probably make a wind zone that follows the camera but doesn't rotate with it (so the snow is always blown in a set direction), and maybe add a script to it that messes a bit with the wind speed and direction to make it more lifelike, probably through coding some kind of oscillator whose input determines the two variables' values.

I figured, I should stop procrastinating and start making a game too. It will be a slow process since my programmer friend is currently working in japan, and I have a day job too. Hopefully we can finish something this time.

And some early Art WIPs.

TaKU6Fl.jpg

esHkple.jpg

And Animashun! just pure key poses, no inbetweens yet since I'm still trying to figure out a more fitting animation style
fvu9sDJ.gif

LlrOPP2.gif

oxrock

I figured, I should stop procrastinating and start making a game too. It will be a slow process since my programmer friend is currently working in japan, and I have a day job too. Hopefully we can finish something this time.

And some early Art WIPs.

And Animashun! just pure key poses, no inbetweens yet since I'm still trying to figure out a more fitting animation style
Wish I had an art friend! I spent so much time creating hilariously bad programmer art that I spend hardly any time actually coding it seems. I demand people tell me how they make these connections!

Haters gonna hate!

As others have said, most games use a decal system for this, as its pretty lightweight (and you can add number / longevity of decals as performance enhancing options)

If you go for the free Beta you won't get the Final Release, right?
Because i have pre-ordered this and it would kinda suck for me if it turns out to be free for everyone.

I don't know, but I'd imagine at worst people with free beta copies have an unpatchable feature missing version while purchasers continue tom receive regular updates and access to the texture libraries

early Art WIPs.

I fucking love cel-shading style games; that looks really good.

Timeaisis

Fair enough :3
I was getting a 'the ship' vibe from the gifs so I had a peek at your blog and stuff for the game and was excited to see it's a werewolf-style game :D

I'm really curious how you're going to go about the evidence system and the more common problem I find with games involving a murderer in the group (e.g. 'the thing' the card game) where everyone sticks together at all times ensuring there's no window of opportunity for the murderer.
The ship tried it with 'needs' but was rather clunky and ended up with everyone failing their needs because they didn't know the map layout well enough to get the toilet or whatever in time XD Needless to say, I'm glad that it doesn't seem you'll be following that route ;D

Anyhoo, looks like my kind of game :3

Yeah, definitely inspired by The Ship. It's cool that people have actually played that game haha. Getting a window for the murderer to be fair is pretty tough. I'm currently planning on this sub-objective system to promote player movement, but I really want to avoid it being too complex or clunky. Basically you'd have completely optional stuff you could do around the house that would help you in the long run. Hopefully it pans out right. Anyway, thanks for the kind words!

And some early Art WIPs.

I don't know what this is but I want to play it immediately. Nice work!

Pierate

Figured I'd share an early and very wip-ish (Don't mind the jittery 'hud') version of a little something I call McStabby:

Wip01.png

Click here to play!

It's got some basic mechanics going on, only thing somewhat final is the art direction, so yeah. Should be noted that I'm mainly an art guy with very little experience actually making games so even this little is a pretty big achievement for me.

Anyway, would be fun with some feedback on what little I have while I figure out where to go next.

Timeaisis

Here's some fun discussion
not
- Lighting in Unity.

I know of the Quality Setting "Pixel Light Limit", and I keep finding myself bumping that up. Currently, I'm at 6. Now it could be I'm just a bad at lighting and for some reason my game keeps deciding to render 6 lights at once, but does anyone know how bad a performance hit this is?

I used to go all-baked with lighting for the walls and floors and non-static for everything else, but due to recent circumstances, I had to chance to all non-static lighting. Immediately after clearing my lightmap I notice my walls and floors are "blinking", leading me to believe that, of course, I had too low of a pixel light limit, so I bumped it up to 6 and moved some lights around -- but now I have patches where there isn't enough light at all, and I fear for bumping it up more to add another point light. Anyway, trying to determine how terrible performance would be because of that, or any clever techniques to not get a flicker all the time while using non-static lighting with a lower limit.

The problem is that the house has to be well-lit, but also all the lights need to be able to be turned off individually, so baking is a no-go. I'm trying to strike a balance, but it doesn't really seem to be working for me. Any suggestions?

not
- Lighting in Unity.

I know of the Quality Setting "Pixel Light Limit", and I keep finding myself bumping that up. Currently, I'm at 6. Now it could be I'm just a bad at lighting and for some reason my game keeps deciding to render 6 lights at once, but does anyone know how bad a performance hit this is?

I used to go all-baked with lighting for the walls and floors and non-static for everything else, but due to recent circumstances, I had to chance to all non-static lighting. Immediately after clearing my lightmap I notice my walls and floors are "blinking", leading me to believe that, of course, I had too low of a pixel light limit, so I bumped it up to 6 and moved some lights around -- but now I have patches where there isn't enough light at all, and I fear for bumping it up more to add another point light. Anyway, trying to determine how terrible performance would be because of that, or any clever techniques to not get a flicker all the time while using non-static lighting with a lower limit.

The problem is that the house has to be well-lit, but also all the lights need to be able to be turned off individually, so baking is a no-go. I'm trying to strike a balance, but it doesn't really seem to be working for me. Any suggestions?

I haven't messed around with lights in Unity, but based on my experience with C4D and After Effects, does Unity have any sort of ambient light type or control? That was always my first port of call when I was having trouble getting light coverage in graphics projects.

Feep

Banned
not
- Lighting in Unity.

Unless you're going mobile, there's no need to worry about a measly six point lights. They're not *that* bad. You can use the profiler (or send your project to someone who has Pro; is the Profiler Pro only?) to see how bad a performance hit they're taking, but it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Timeaisis

Unless you're going mobile, there's no need to worry about a measly six point lights. They're not *that* bad. You can use the profiler (or send your project to someone who has Pro; is the Profiler Pro only?) to see how bad a performance hit they're taking, but it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Cool, thanks. Yeah profiler is pro only. I haven't upgraded yet, but I'm about to.

I demand people tell me how they make these connections!

I mostly got my connection from work.

I don't know what this is but I want to play it immediately. Nice work!
It will probably take weeks or month before we got something playable since my programmer said he'll be doing their client's tests for the next 2-3 weeks.

As for the game, at first, we just wanted to rip off Conta's Base 1 and Base 2(just to get something done). But it evolved in something different(it'll still probably change along the way), but currently the contra ripoff will be just the tutorial for the mechanics, the main game is a head to head, multi player gunfight(each player standing on opposing side of the room and they can only move sideways)

Then you can equip various hats and gadgets to customize your playstyle(I'm thinking limited hat slots so you cannot have these powerup all at once), these gadget can give you air dash, ground dash, fast fall, double jump, ability to summon a rock that you can use as cover for limited shots/time, plant land mines to your enemies side to limit his movement etc.

There are also flying items/Random NPC spawn that you can attack(like smashball from SSB) that gives temporary powerups and abilities while mid-battle.

And speaking of hats,

HATS! it was my brother's idea to use the 16 ton weight for Fastfall ability.:p

w5rBt9q.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Heads up, this is the next community vote on the Steam sale:

pZXPxma.png

I've only used Music Creator 6 and Z3TA+ 2 (there is a bundle) with a small MIDI keyboard. They're decent software as far as I know. I put this here in case anyone else is looking for utilities.

Does anyone have good references or videos for how to actually go about song composition with electronic music software like that? There seem to be references about doing lots of track adjustments, or using existing tracks, but not much for making a song or track completely from scratch and adding enough textures to sound nice.

I have a bit of classical music background if that helps, I just don't know where to look regarding such software specifically.

oxrock

Mmm, for 20 US$ i would certainly try Fuse...

Have you ever tried Make human? Fuse and Make Human are pretty similar products but make human is open source. It's fairly easy to export models from make human to blender and make further modifications like changing textures or crafting new clothes. I'm not overly familiar with Fuse, it may very well be worth the extra money, but I figured I'd at least tell you about another tool you could use for free.

missile

Some more progress on the RSA's GUI...

I've implemented a callback system such that every button (window) can have a
function assigned to it which gets called upon the action required, i.e. upon
pressing, releasing etc. a button for example. The mechanism is similar to
Qt's signal/slot (thx for the hint, Popstar) yet without requiring Q_OBJECT
and a preprocessor (moc). I've implemented a very rudimentary version of the
signal/slot mechanism using templates. So, for example, a window can have some
buttons with the button's signals linked to a function being part of the
window's (or any other) object. When the mouse is pressed/released/moved etc.
a message goes through the system. Since a button registers for mouse events,
a specialized event manager for a button is called handling the event while
calling/emitting any of the signals as required - calling the method linked
with it. That's pretty neat. It's fully dynamic, takes only some few bytes of
code, is easily extendable, and doesn't require a preprocessor. :+

Whereas most GUIs are static the goal of this one is to be dynamic, i.e. in
being able to change the behavior as well as the rendering all at runtime for
each individual element. So, for example, you are able to have a different
event handler for each button with each being different in its behavior. You
may copy one handler or extent another one. Similar with rendering; each
button can have its own way of rendering which can be shared, copied, or
extended. This is useful for indicating a possible change in state or when an
action takes place ... by more than just a change in color so to speak. So for
example a button may rotate in 3d while an action takes place, may change
shape, or may glow/pulse upon completion of a certain task, whatever. The
interesting part here is that each one can have its own way of rendering
whereas a uniform one can be chosen as well, as was done in the animation
below. Same holds for the client area, border etc. All can be changed at
runtime. For example, the highlighted border of a window having the focus is a
different rendering object altogether, yet only the color is changed here for
debugging reasons. The objects are changed if the window in question gets the
focus. Sure, I could have just hacked the color change in the non-focused
border as well, but this won't lead to the flexibility required.

With all these things said, the GUI shouldn't be tied to a specific program or
game (which would defeat the investment to begin with), yet can be made to
look like it upon changing the rendering behind. A future version will allow
to have arbitrary shaped curved/wrapped windows, buttons etc. But doing so
requires me to change the rasterizer in using a screen space approach (similar
to a Z-buffer rasterizer) and have some good spatially variant filters ready
for resampling and for preventing alias of the curved/wrapped windows when
being display. So a window may curve/bend/wobble depending on whatever you
want. :+ Anyhow, first things first!

gNKTfp0.gif

Pierate

Mocked up a title screen and was working on making it functional when I hit the event limit in C2 (free edition) :(
Oh well, I'd have to buy a license sooner or later anyway.

TitleScreenMockup.png

V_Arnold

Pierate, I would not buy C2, given how unoptimized their engine looks like just by glancing at the dev tools performance/timeline stats. Or do they hide good code/performance behind a paywall too? :D

So I am attempting to start developing myself. I am running on a MacBook Air with OSX Mavericks and not really sure where to start. Could someone push me in some sort of direction?

missile

Guys, my first game! xD

Windowmess 3.11

lawHwWI.png

Try to close all windows without focusing any other than the current top-
level one. The focus will follow the mouse, hence, upon closing a window the
next one gaining focus is the one below the mouse. So you better watch out
which one to close. xD

1/3 EUR for Äpple.
Note: Please offer the exact amount in payment. Otherwise no buy, sorry.

Edit:
I wanna be part in an indie movie now! C'mon...

missile

So I am attempting to start developing myself. I am running on a MacBook Air with OSX Mavericks and not really sure where to start. Could someone push me in some sort of direction?
I don't know. But for the hell of it, don't use CA (chromatic aberration)
and discuss it over here! ;)

https://www.yoyogames.com/studio

Game Maker is a good starting point if you have no experience. It'll teach you the fundamentals of game development, plus it's a good 2D engine. Lots of big games are made with it, such as Hotline Miami.

razu

And some early Art WIPs.

TaKU6Fl.jpg

esHkple.jpg

fvu9sDJ.gif

LlrOPP2.gif

Mocked up a title screen and was working on making it functional when I hit the event limit in C2 (free edition) :(
Oh well, I'd have to buy a license sooner or later anyway.

TitleScreenMockup.png

Guys, my first game! xD

Windowmess 3.11

lawHwWI.png

Try to close all windows without focusing any other than the current top-
level one. The focus will follow the mouse, hence, upon closing a window the
next one gaining focus is the one below the mouse. So you better watch out
which one to close. xD

1/3 EUR for Äpple.
Note: Please offer the exact amount in payment. Otherwise no buy, sorry.

Edit:
I wanna be part in an indie movie now! C'mon...

Making more food:
4wjLY7C.gif

All animation is done inside the shader. (Except the particles.)

So much greatness here!!! :D

In other news, my sub-project continues...

VwT49pb.png

It's running on Android and iOS and I'm looking at Google Play Game Services to add cross-platform leaderboards.

It's proving a fun break from Super Something Squad™, which is still in development. In fact, just from the little bit of work on this new game, I've learned a few things that will go into SSS.

Hey again everyone!

I have something to show in here finally!
So I've been working on two projects with my indie team, one of which we are showing today!

Let me introduce you to BEACON - A Sci-Fi Action Roguelike.

Shot_forest2.jpg

Shot_forest1.jpg

We're going to be running a devblog during...well, development, so check it out here:
http://devblog.monothetic.com/

But I'll be posting in here fairly frequently when we have some cool updates!
Cheers :)

Limanima

I just added a few more commands to my engine's scripting "language".
It's now possible to add a label and perform jumps to those labels. It's also possible to select an object and then apply commands to it.

Here's an example:

script.png

I'm evolving the language when I need features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom