• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limanima

When others do a game in 48h, I do an edit box! xD Damn!
Well, the basic edit element is almost working. Below is a little
demonstration. Upon pressing return the windows' title will be changed.

6dBPlF9.gif

In what language are you developing this? Can the font be changed?
This type of UI controls require a lot of work...

razu

Let's agree a deadline for opinions of what indie is, was, and should be. At least in this thread.

I just want to see people's cool shit!

JulianImp

For some good news, it looks like Quark Storm will be getting a much needed artist and a dedicated level designer, all while a mentor well versed in game programming and production gives us a hand with project planning and any other stuff we might need; this is because I've taken the game to a bi-monthly games workshop that lasts the whole year, where they evaluate projects people bring and help them get stuff done. Hopefully, all this will end up speeding the game's development up by a considerable margin.

Also, I'm still holding my breath while I await for a reply from the Tokyo Games Show staff regarding my submission. It'd be like a dream come true if I could actually take Quark Storm all the way to Japan!

Limanima

Let's agree a deadline for opinions of what indie is, was, and should be. At least in this thread.

I just want to see people's cool shit!

Agreed! But I don't have nothing cool to show. I'm fighting a memory corruption for hours on my C++ engine. What a hell...

razu

Agreed! But I don't have nothing cool to show. I'm fighting a memory corruption for hours on my C++ engine. What a hell...

That's cool. In it's own painful way ;D

It's probably something to do with a pointer. Maybe you should check them all.. ;D

Data breakpoints, they're the best for this! So long as the same bit of memory is shat on each time..

V_Arnold

I spent the past one-two weeks of my free time working on a html5+javascript lightweight game engine that does not SUCK. By which I do not mean that frameworks suck, BUT I want an engine where I can open up dev tools and see that the garbage collector is NOT getting invoked every two seconds, potentially casusing slowdowns on older PC's and of course, on mobiles as well.

If any of you need something to start out with, I can share the code as well, once I made a smaller tutorial of it, and finished the scene manager / trigger handlers. Also, I need to remove Jquery dependancies entirely, for I was only using it anyway for unified input handling. But that is really a reckless use of resources. No need to include a plugin as big as jquery/jquery mobile when all I need is stuff like a few ie-handler || ff-handler || opera handler-type of events.

Also, I have come across a few interesting optimization methods as well that can be pretty easy to neglect, and takes quite some time to not forget when adding new code. If anyone is interested, I could followup this with some examples/tutorials as well.

Limanima

That's cool. In it's own painful way ;D

It's probably something to do with a pointer. Maybe you should check them all.. ;D

Data breakpoints, they're the best for this! So long as the same bit of memory is shat on each time..

Problem solved! But there's a major design flaw... I'll deal with that after the game release.
I'm now trying to integrate with FB.

Noogy

I did my first animation:

Click for video...

It ain't perfect, but I'm happy! :D

Very good, especially for your first. The walk/run cycle is one of the most difficult things to do.

Just remember that a walk is a controlled 'fall', and that the foot is contacting the ground to catch the body. Knowing this, I think your contact point should be moved forward a bit, though I could be wrong without seeing what the rest of the body is doing.

Also, after the foot kicks off and is at the far back, it should be 'tucking' in a bit more as it moves forward, anticipating the next step.

BTW, is this using native Unity tools? I haven't touched the animation stuff, hopefully sometime over the next couple weeks.

razu

Thanks both! I'll tinker with it, then I need a sprinting anim and some code to blend based on speed.. I don't expect instant success :D

I used Legacy, not Mecanim and the Sprites and Bones plugin (free), but it was all done in the unity editor. It's okay. The Animation window lacks the ability to copy keys. And if you're not careful you can automatically add a key every frame if you preview in the wrong mode... But it works!

Rubikant

Games like Volgarr the Viking (publisher backing)

We weren't "backed" by a publisher. We made a marketing deal with Adult Swim Games for the Steam version of the game only - a portion of our proceeds in exchange for getting on Steam and airing a commercial for the game. ASG gave us no funding whatsoever, and we are self-published for all other platforms besides Steam. We funded the project mostly ourselves with our own life savings and such, with the last 15% of the funds coming from Kickstarter. ASG also had NO creative control at all - they had to take the game as-is and market it.

Those in the industry consider independent to just mean whether or not a studio is owned by a publisher (or develops exclusively for a specific publisher). For example, Foundation 9 advertised themselves as the "largest independant game development studio in North America". Most gamers don't consider them "indie" but they technically are by the industry definition since they make games for multiple publishers and aren't owned by any of them.

Noogy

'

We weren't "backed" by a publisher. We made a marketing deal with Adult Swim Games for the Steam version of the game only - a portion of our proceeds in exchange for getting on Steam and airing a commercial for the game. ASG gave us no funding whatsoever, and we are self-published for all other platforms besides Steam.

Similar deal here, Microsoft was my publisher but I completely self-funded my title. BTW, I'm a HUGE fan of Volgarr :)

missile

In what language are you developing this? Can the font be changed?
This type of UI controls require a lot of work...
Font can be changed. I just need to assign proper values within the font
descriptor instead of using constants in some places (debugging). The font
is fully encapsulated, the GUI doesn't know anything about it. The programmer
just assigns a new raster element (text in this case) to a ui element getting
displayed where needed. For this case I wrote a simple bitmapped font
rasterizer which is currently in used. TTFs will follow further down the road
when I have more time to focus on spline rasterizing (scan-converting) and
friends. Language is C/C++ and the rendering backend is SETPIXEL™. xD

Some small progress;
Text clipping in. And the text is now accurately rendered with respect to the
cursor's position, i.e. in just displaying the text around it to the left
and right up to the boundaries, respectively. Pfeww... xD

zZQzlVi.gif

Some specific yet advanced features (taken for granted these days) will
increase the usability of any GUI in order of magnitudes...

Next up:
(1) selections; all/partial
(2) clipboard; cut/copy/paste

Should suffice for the time being, yet

(3) doskey (xD), and
(4) auto-completion

would be awesome, no? 8)

I did my first animation:

Click for video...

It ain't perfect, but I'm happy! :D
Mike is coming strong! Sweet! :+ For SSS?

I invite you to discover awesome new games, while also supporting developers and charity, or help create new ones through PlayInjector’s Game Starter service, a crowdfunding-based platform, especially designed to help independent developers get their games out of their brains and onto the market.

The Summer Quest Bundle is up www[dot]playinjector[dot]com

Blizzard

Banned
Now I know you may want to continue writing an OS from scratch... :p

But, may I suggest Freetype 2 (http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/index.html)? It supports TTF and OTF fonts, is open source, can be used in most anything, in theory ported to most anything, and most importantly for you it should provide low-level access so you could do your own rendering, (I think?) do extra processing on the paths, or whatever. However, it would save you approximately a billion hours doing the actual font format and glyph-handling side of things.

GulAtiCa

My game comes out tomorrow and now finally listed on Nintendo.com.

Feels a little weird to have something I made listed on Nintendo. Never once did I think I'd make a game for Wii U, nonetheless in general, when I bought the system. heh

Feels a little weird to have something I made listed on Nintendo. Never once did I think I'd make a game for Wii U, nonetheless in general, when I bought the system. heh
Grats! Been a long time lurker and first time poster :) I just applied to develop for Nintendo last week. Thrilled to read there are many GAFfers which have landed their space on a Nintendo platform!

Dascu

Can you tell how the experience has been in regards to getting a rating? Or does Nintendo handle this for you?

Timeaisis

Wow, congrats!

I have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind:

1) What Engine (if any) did you use to develop for Wii U?
2) How difficult was it building and testing your game on the platform?
3) What was the submission process like?

I understand if you are under NDA for some of these, so I'm not going to feel offended if you don't answer. :p
Awesome that your game is coming to Wii U! I'll definitely check it out. :)

Blizzard

Banned

Congratulations! It must be a good feeling. Two of my goals for some time have been to finally have something I made show up on Steam, and finally have something I made show up on a Nintendo console.

I've taken so long to do anything that Steam is now less of an accomplishment, I suppose -- with Greenlight it's more of a mobile store situation -- but it would still be neat to say, "There are many games on Steam, but this one is mine."

JulianImp

Oh, nice, congratulations! Like others have said, I'd love to hear about the development and publishing process.

I'm really hoping I can attend to TGS and manage to snag a deal for publishing Quark Storm on a console or two. As the deadline for hearing back from the exposition staff is two weeks away at most, I'm getting really anxious about it...

Anyway, back onto the subject of game development, I'll be doing some research on adding spline support for level creation, since straight lines mean the level geometry either has to be full of sharp edges or I have to handle lots and lots of hand-placed vertexes to create smoother curves, which could be solved by implementing bezier curves and programatically creating new vertexes that follow the curve.

Pierate

Congrats!

Made a proper HUD for McStabby (might change the style of the numbers), also added extra lives:
Wip02.png

Working a bit on enemy types aswell, currently have stupid patroling enemies and enemies that chase the player when seeing him (based on distance and line of sight).

Limanima

That's awsome! Congrats!

Our greenlight concept page has run it's course and traffic is near zero now so I thought I would share a bit stats and info. Overall it was useful.

Short writeup I made about it w/ stats:
http://gravityride.com/?p=503

Here are mine stats (the game is Snails and is already available on iOS/Window Phone).

Screen_Shot_2014_07_02_at_19_43_54.png

Limanima

For the guys discussing walk cycles further up, and anyone doing animation;
This picture was so so helpful when I did my first walk cycle.

ngbbs52d9683ecf356.gif

Starting at the contact position is actually amazingly useful.
Here the full tutorial is comes from; http://www.angryanimator.com/word/2010/11/26/tutorial-2-walk-cycle/
I have that book! Great animation book.
I bought it when I was doing stop motion experiments. Here is my hit short film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QekN1t9z2_E

GulAtiCa

Thanks guys!

And the rating is done by yourself. Though getting ESRB ratting is a simple as making this post. I kid you not. You fill out a VERY short form, describe your game (mostly just dropdowns), and you get your rating. When the game releases/near, you give them 3 download codes so they can verify. Best of all, free!

Wish Europe rating boards would get their shit together in this manor as well.

friken

Here are mine stats (the game is Snails and is already available on iOS/Window Phone).

Thanks for sharing. I have a friend who listed an already published (did fairly well too) ios/android game on steam greenlight. Similarly, the no votes really stacked. It seems steam users are pretty well against mobile ports hitting the platform with a few exceptions.

Here are a couple new alien races for our game. All good scifi games need a human-ish space babe:

and a sybiotic evolution of crystalline and algae:

Timeaisis

Thanks for sharing. I have a friend who listed an already published (did fairly well too) ios/android game on steam greenlight. Similarly, the no votes really stacked. It seems steam users are pretty well against mobile ports hitting the platform with a few exceptions.

No Votes are really stacked regardless. We're currently sitting at like 65/35 No vs Yes, and that's with a pretty huge push lately. We used to be like 70/30. Sometimes you just put out your game to greenlight at a bad time or something. The big flow of "No's" for us came right at the beginning, and we still haven't totally recovered.

Mega congrats! Lucky for me, I just got a Wii U last week!

In related news, Ephemerid is has been officially pirated! It's always been a dream of mine to have thousands of people visit a shady looking website and risk a virus just so they don't have to pay for my game! A true honor.

JNT

What data structure are you using for efficiently storing and editing the text in your text boxes? I simply allocated two equally sized buffers (one containing all the characters before the caret, and one containing all the characters after the caret) that behave like stacks. Worked pretty well for my purposes.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
2014-07-03_015610.jpg

I think I can call this one pretty much done :) gotta love PBR ... just below 4k tris

Thanks, that is a very useful link (and the further links to Mono's implementation). I'll plug away at it a bit.

Gah, I feel like I'm close...

Code:
public void Draw(Texture2D texture, Rectangle destinationRectangle, Rectangle sourceRectangle, Color color, float rotation, Vector2 origin, SpriteEffects effects, float layerDepth)
{
	UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 matrixSaved = GUI.matrix;
	Rect sourceRect = getSourceRect(texture, sourceRectangle);
	Vector2 originNew = new Vector2(origin.X * ((float)destinationRectangle.Width / (float)sourceRectangle.Width),
	                                origin.Y * ((float)destinationRectangle.Height / (float)sourceRectangle.Height));
	float rotationAngle = rotation * Mathf.Rad2Deg;
	GUI.matrix *= UnityEngine.Matrix4x4.TRS(new UnityEngine.Vector3(-originNew.X, -originNew.Y, 0.0f), 
	                                        Quaternion.identity, 
	                                        UnityEngine.Vector3.one);
	GUI.DrawTextureWithTexCoords(new Rect(destinationRectangle.Left, destinationRectangle.Top, destinationRectangle.Width, destinationRectangle.Height),
	                             texture,
	                             sourceRect);
	GUI.matrix = matrixSaved;
}

// Maps a XNA source rectangle (with 0,0 at UL and measurements in pixels) to a Unity source rectangle (with 0,0 at LL and measurements as %age of total texture size).
private Rect getSourceRect(Texture2D texture, Rectangle sourceRectangle)
{
	Rect sourceRect = new Rect((float)sourceRectangle.Left / (float)texture.width,
	                           (float)(texture.height - (sourceRectangle.Top + sourceRectangle.Height)) / (float)texture.height,
	                           (float)sourceRectangle.Width / (float)texture.width,
	                           (float)sourceRectangle.Height / (float)texture.height);
	return sourceRect;
}

GUI.matrix is already set on entrance to Draw with what I passed to SpriteBatch.Begin. I'm not supporting color or effects yet, but desperately trying to get rotation working. I tried adding it into the TRS but couldn't get it working. Also tried GUIUtility.RotateAroundPivot to no avail.

Basically I'm seeking to do all of my development in XNA and Visual Studio, but copy the files to Unity and with small wrappers like the above code have the XNA code work.

I wish I have the time to play with Unity to help you, but I don't have any idea how Unity used the tranformation matrix and in which order, I did actually wrote some for XNA which rotates, translates things like you want but in my own way.

basically my transformation is something like this, I think you can guess what each part is:

Transform = Matrix.Identity *
Matrix.CreateTranslation( Origin.X , Origin.Y , 0 ) *
Matrix.CreateScale( new Vector3( Scale , Scale , Scale ) ) *
Matrix.CreateRotationZ( Rotation ) *
Matrix.CreateTranslation( -Position.X - View.X , -Position.Y - View.Y , 0 );

and I am only rotating Z so it behaves like spritebatch, maybe you can use this in Unity?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Thanks both! I'll tinker with it, then I need a sprinting anim and some code to blend based on speed.. I don't expect instant success :D

I used Legacy, not Mecanim and the Sprites and Bones plugin (free), but it was all done in the unity editor. It's okay. The Animation window lacks the ability to copy keys. And if you're not careful you can automatically add a key every frame if you preview in the wrong mode... But it works!

Interesting. That animation looks great, especially for being made within the Unity legacy animator. I've only worked with that in small amounts, but from what I've experienced it's quite a pain. Maya/3Dstudio runs like absolute poop on my only computer though, so I think I will have to resort to learning how to use the legacy animation window better.
Did you reference the Unity site documentation, or did you learn it elsewhere?

---

On a different subject...has anyone here had luck with Augmented Reality, specifically within the Unity ecosystem? I've made some simple things through the Vuforia SDK, but now I'm looking to make an AR program that utilizes GPS/location data. So far as I can tell Vuforia doesn't support GPS based AR though.

Raonak

Banned
Been watching let's plays of my game (super pokemon eevee edition). It's really enjoyable seeing other people's reactions to playing the game. It's also very good for finding out where people get stuck. Like in one route, it branched off into 2 paths, and everyone went down the wrong path, sending them to an optional area. It's like im watching beta testers :)

--
Between a fulltime job and a social life, im finding little time to work on my games. I havent played my PS4 in a week because i've been spending all my free time working on pokemon :/

It's really annoying. how do you guys juggle your time? a fixed schedule or what?

Between a fulltime job and a social life, im finding little time to work on my games. I havent played my PS4 in a week because i've been spending all my free time working on super pokemon eevee edition :/

It's really annoying. how do you guys juggle your time? a fixed schedule or what?

I'm in a similar boat of having not enough time.

In a couple weeks I'm leaving for "holiday" and won't be able to work on my game for a while. There are a lot of things I need to finish beforehand.

So I'm in crunch mode. For the past month or so I've been working on my game about 15 hours a day, 7 days a week. I love working, but it's horrible.

I'm in this position because of my vacation, but at least a vacation is the thing I need most right now.

GulAtiCa

Oh, for those that asked, my game is pure HTML5 Javascript/Canvas. No engine (other than the obvious Canvas/Javascript stuff and Wii U NWF). So everything you see was coded from grounds up, including all the render.

---

For time, I've had bad habbit of playing more/watching tv more than working on games. So I have a few game ideas in the works, but sadly haven't worked on them much lately. Kinda sucks. Now that my game is nearly out, I plan to start things off and continue work on my 1st game with additional content/etc. Hoping to get back to work on small titles and a larger one for end of year.

missile

Now I know you may want to continue writing an OS from scratch... :p ...
I have to say the truth now; yes, I do! ;) Nah, no, would be cool, but there are
only so many hours a day. Yet I want to have a version of the GUI which can be
used from a bootloader. So for the time being I try to keep everything a bit
simpler than necessary. All the things you can see for now could equally be
displayed from a bootloader by simply using the BIOSs setpixel function (which
is hell inefficient) or by writing straight into the video buffer (assuming
you know the geometry (CRTC registers)).

But there will be a point from where on it won't make any sense doing so any
longer, computational wise. One can build much more sophisticated GUIs using
different rendering methods like scissoring and/or rendering into back- or
index buffers etc. It's possible, of course, but doing so in software over a
slow bus will degrade performance quite a lot. The turn-over-point is
essentially where you want to start doing GUIs utilizing composite effects. If
you go back in time a little then you will see that composite GUIs require
hardware acceleration since otherwise it becomes a dead slow "experience".

Upon reaching said turn-over-point, I will freeze the GUI and put it into an
archive for the time being. This version then will be the most independent one
and should serve me when tinkering around with some embedded devices I follow
some interest in. A similar version will be build for non-embedded devices
serving as a simple GUI for any program who has a needed for it. And then
there will be a version relying on much more advanced systems used for
sophisticated programs and, well, video games.

... But, may I suggest Freetype 2 (http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/index.html)? It supports TTF and OTF fonts, is open source, can be used in most anything, in theory ported to most anything, and most importantly for you it should provide low-level access so you could do your own rendering, (I think?) do extra processing on the paths, or whatever. However, it would save you approximately a billion hours doing the actual font format and glyph-handling side of things.
Yeah, there is sort of a hell in there in rendering TTFs with all their quirks
like hinting and such. Freetype 2 was gone through it, twice! xD Well, I don't
want to write another true TTF render. This would take way too much time as
you said. If anyone would require me to have TTFs in my GUI, I would use
Freetype 2 immediately. No problem. However, I have a natural interest on the
subject. Font rendering is sort of a stepchild in rendering and is most often
excluded in any book on rendering just for the simplest case, i.e. bitmapped
fonts. And since I want to gain some more proficiency on the subject, I will
do some experiments on my own. That's it.

What data structure are you using for efficiently storing and editing the text in your text boxes? I simply allocated two equally sized buffers (one containing all the characters before the caret, and one containing all the characters after the caret) that behave like stacks. Worked pretty well for my purposes.
Sounds good. I have a sort of a computational version. I don't use any data
structures with the exception of a char array for holding the whole string, of
course. The cursor is maintained independently of the text. Editing is done
while computing the cursor's position within the string. The rest is simply
string concatenation.

razu

Interesting. That animation looks great, especially for being made within the Unity legacy animator. I've only worked with that in small amounts, but from what I've experienced it's quite a pain. Maya/3Dstudio runs like absolute poop on my only computer though, so I think I will have to resort to learning how to use the legacy animation window better.
Did you reference the Unity site documentation, or did you learn it elsewhere?

There's not much to it. You add curves for things you want to animate, then add keys, then edit the curve parameters to flatten out the ends, (so they loop properly).

I control it all via AnimationState objects. I play the animations on separate layers and blend it based on speed, using the weight parameter in the state. I've got the jog transitioning into a comical run, and it works really well! Just need to add an idle and a walk and I'll have all I need for the running events.

As ever, unity manual+google+youtube pretty much sorts you out.

Any Qs, just mail me at vamflax@vamflax.com.

xMuku

Hey guys!

We recently finished our first game as Funky Fingers Inc with our team of three within a few months time. It's a puzzle sliding game with gems to collect and obstacles and traps to increase the difficulty. It contains 15 levels and each of them containing five gems to collect along with completing the level. All the texture are hand painted and the game was created in the Unity engine. Its currently on the app store for 0.99$ (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ice-slyder/id883288605?mt=8)

But we have six promo codes to give out so people can try it:
N7HN9MMJKK3X
MHFEML9AERXF
TF3ATE4KF6FK
XYALFP46ER79
KLXYMFNNAKKE
3NF3M7EPMHPW

Here are some screenshots:

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom