• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivin

I'm so stupid and cannot find a good cg shader tutorial that my dumb ass brain can wrap my head around. I'm just on the verge of fucking trashing my pitiful work because it's obvious I'm not good enough.

If you are coding shaders for unity, these 2 links could be good overall primers?
I havent personally run through these yet, as I have been using a visual shader node plugin to do most of my custom shaders. In the future I plan to get more into hand coding shaders, and these 2 links are going to be my first point of call :)

http://cgcookie.com/unity/cgc-courses/noob-to-pro-shader-writing-for-unity-4-beginner/
http://www.creativetd.com/?page_id=617

Looks real good, Vivin.

Thanks ^_^

Oh lovely. Indie or not, you got something serious going on here.

Cheers! glad you liked it :)

-Winnie-

Hey all,

Hot off the press, here's our screenshot Saturday update for Ashen :)

combatMountain_small.gif

"Which way was home again?"

Also had a go at creating my first webm! process was surprisingly less painful than expected
http://www.aurora44games.com/images/combatMountain.webm

Wow this looks beautiful! Can't wait to see more of this one.

Your comments fuel my artist's rage (and creativity!)

Also the boar got mad I was riding him and now chases me!

Your animation is gorgeous! The only feedback I really have to add is that perhaps you should try tweaking the colour of the boar's horns (to something a bit lighter, maybe?) as they look like they get more lost in the face detail than they should, especially when he's in motion.

Perhaps you've already tried that though.

vivin

Wow, I knew nothing about this and now I need to know everything about this. Quite an evocative image.

what kind of game is it? you should introduce the game and talk a little about it if you're going to post such a nice screen. :D

As a big fan of both of your dudes games, these back to back post has me smiling from ear to ear :)

I have been a bit thin on content when it comes to describing what sort of game ashen is. If you are curious, you can find out a bit more info on the type of game we are trying to make on the main site http://www.ashen-game.com or presskit http://www.aurora44games.com/press/

Info on the game so far has been very light, this is a combination of us trying not to show everything at once/still very early in development and our relatively small team size (Im currently the only 3D artist onboard besides a friend of ours helping out part time with the animations)

We have also been selective at what images we are posting for the likes of screenshot saturday, opting for more "finished" images over true WIP. Once more images and info is out in the wild, and people are beginning to become comfortable with the direction/idea i'll be really keen on sharing more of the process/raw progress with you guys :)

Loginius

We displayed our game "Bedtime Story" for the first time to the public yesterday at our schools own exhibition.
My impression was that people liked it a lot, I dont think there was a stall as well visited as ours.
There are still a ton of things to fix and some problems but for the biggest part the game is now complete.

Here are some more screens, I will upload a playthrough in the coming week:

sbkodama

Hello, I seen great stuff here since my subscription but never posted because I was very busy with debugging and updates.

I heard that saturday was the day of screenshot so here are some, sorry no open gl right now because my actual computer is very low and I wait for a new computer which will come next week.

12obin

Neo Member
Hello everyone! Finally got my account approved! This is my first post on NeoGAF. I've been keeping an eye on this thread for quite some time and I really like seeing all the screenshots, GIF's and progress everyone's making. It really motivates me to continue on my own projects. So thank you all for that!

Let me introduce myself. My name is Robin, I'm currently a webdeveloper in The Netherlands (to pay the bills) and I started a small game development company with my brother called 'Battle Brothers' (which we hope will be our main job in the future). We're currently learning how to develop games. I'm learning how to program games by playing around with Unity's 2D engine.

While learning Unity I created a nice little asset called 'Acrocatic'. This asset allows you to create a simple 2D platformer with double jumping, wall running, wall jumping, crouching, dashing and much more. It's aimed at beginning Unity 2D developers and it's doing quite well for our first asset (sold about 60 in the first month and 20 in the second month). I'm almost done with version 1.1 which adds ladders, moving platforms and more. So it's going great! Getting community feedback and positive reactions is such a great motivator. Really loving it! If you're interested in Acrocatic, you can check it out at: http://battlebrothers.io/acrocatic/. Tips and feedback would be really appreciated.

Since it's screenshot saturday (and caturday ;)), I'll share a few screenshot of Acrocatic version 1.1.

acrocatic-v1.1-basic.png

Showing off slopes and ladders in a basic level.

acrocatic-v1.1-ice.png

Added an ice theme to the basic level to showcase ice platforms.

acrocatic-v1.1-platforms.png

Added a level full of moving and sinking platforms.

I'm really excited that I'm finally able to post here. I'm loving the sceenshots so far! Amazing stuff. Keep 'm coming. :)

Haven't posted any new image for a while since most of my development went to UI design and threading several parts of the game, but here is a screenshot of one of the ships I worked this week to test some of the functionality.

NewShipTest20140704.png

SS - it's been harder than I thought it would be designing a game to fit inside of a 192*108 screen resolution but it's coming along:

Not the happiest with our motion blur in the 1st screen. I will probably be re-writing it or removing it altogether.

Blizzard

Banned
It's about that time...when I start thinking about how to do shortest-distance pathfinding on a 2D grid!

I'll probably end up with something horribly inefficient, and reinvent the wheel or go study and learn the proper techniques later. :p

missile

SS - it's been harder than I thought it would be designing a game to fit inside of a 192*108 screen resolution but it's coming along:

Not the happiest with our motion blur in the 1st screen. I will probably be re-writing it or removing it altogether.
I have some high hopes for this game!

I hope you stick around! ;) xD

It's about that time...when I start thinking about how to do shortest-distance pathfinding on a 2D grid!

I'll probably end up with something horribly inefficient, and reinvent the wheel or go study and learn the proper techniques later. :p

Well, the A* algorithm works pretty well.

We displayed our game "Bedtime Story" for the first time to the public yesterday at our schools own exhibition.
My impression was that people liked it a lot, I dont think there was a stall as well visited as ours.
There are still a ton of things to fix and some problems but for the biggest part the game is now complete.

Here are some more screens, I will upload a playthrough in the coming week:

Those screens look really good.

Is that Unreal Engine?

Ashodin

I had to redo the behavior of the Boar to match that of the wolf (yay recoding). Now he does this awesome thing where he hangs at the edge of bluffs.

3VtZEX2.gif

Volkiller

Neo Member
Hey this is my first post. this is a screenshot of a game i just released called Galaxy Rush! hope you guys like its currently on android its my first game Ive released so far. Its a endless flying game
0rMVY55.png

Loginius

Blizzard

Banned
Upon doing some digging and trying to educate myself about things I probably studied in the ancient past, it appears that:

1. The A* algorithm is not guaranteed to be perfect because it contains an optional heuristic (approximation) component. This does not work for me since I need perfect shortest-path generation, and...
2. ...if you choose not to use that component, then A* becomes identical to Djikstra's algorithm.
3. Furthermore, I did not read enough to get a firm grasp of Djikstra's algorithm, but at a glance it appears similar to what I was already intuitively planning to do, just perhaps more efficient. If I can do something simpler but slightly less efficient it will probably be fine.

vivin

playing around with this webm stuff... cool to be able to make 60 fps videos for quick viewing.

it still doesn't look quite right, but at least you guys can look at the game in 60 fps.

http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/gsongwebm1.webm

http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/gsongwebm2.webm

Yus more webm goodness! the game is looking smooth as butter at 60fps, so good!.

just lovely

You got so much talent dude. Congrats.

I think I liked the old style for the MC better though.

Wow,congrats man..the game looks beautiful!

Like everyone else already said, this looks beautiful.

Thanks for the kind words guys :) Im not sure im following what MC stands for?

I had to redo the behavior of the Boar to match that of the wolf (yay recoding). Now he does this awesome thing where he hangs at the edge of bluffs.

3VtZEX2.gif

Loving the quick updates on this, the boar hanging over the edge is a nice touch, looks really natural now

ashen is looking dope, vivin

i3CxFccHqQUCh.png

Thanks man, im a huge fan of the clean point filter on those textures, and the subtle colours yum!

Makai

Djikstra's algorithm is definitely the right choice.

Makai

Yeah, that's what I concluded in a later post above -- if I need more efficiency than a simple approach, I will probably use Djikstra's.
Use breadth-first search if the cost for moving between any adjacent cell is equal. If you want to have terrain that slows you down like in Advance Wars you'll need to use Dijkstra's algorithm.

Popstar

Upon doing some digging and trying to educate myself about things I probably studied in the ancient past, it appears that:

1. The A* algorithm is not guaranteed to be perfect because it contains an optional heuristic (approximation) component. This does not work for me since I need perfect shortest-path generation, and...
2. ...if you choose not to use that component, then A* becomes identical to Djikstra's algorithm.
3. Furthermore, I did not read enough to get a firm grasp of Djikstra's algorithm, but at a glance it appears similar to what I was already intuitively planning to do, just perhaps more efficient. If I can do something simpler but slightly less efficient it will probably be fine.
The A* algorithm is guaranteed to be perfect. The heuristic just helps it converge upon the solution faster in most instances in comparison to Dijkstra.

Blizzard

Banned
The A* algorithm is guaranteed to be perfect. The heuristic just helps it converge upon the solution faster in most instances in comparison to Dijkstra.
Oh, thanks (wikipedia seems to suggest the heuristic must be "admissable" and/or "monotonic" and/or "consistent" for optimal solutions to be reached).

I don't know if you can really get any simpler.

All shortest path algorithms work around the notion of 'relaxing edges' (if there is a shorter path to here than the current shorter path, update the shortest path to here). The basic shortest path algorithm is Bellman-Ford which simply states relax all edges. Bellman-Ford grows in polynomial time. Djikstra's is a greedy version of Bellman-Ford in which, instead of just relaxing all the edges (breath first search), you keep all your edges in a priority heap and continuously choose the smallest weighted edge. The difference is the data structure that holds your possible edges.

The big benefit of Bellman-Ford is it can handle negatively weighted edges.

Ashodin

fDN0aaD.gif

zoooooooooooooooom

Have the first story mural detailed out, the game's story will be introduced this way (along with boss battles) to give story exposition.

Jobbs

Banned
It looks pretty good to me. Great art direction.

Yus more webm goodness! the game is looking smooth as butter at 60fps, so good!.

thank you :D

fDN0aaD.gif

zoooooooooooooooom

Have the first story mural detailed out, the game's story will be introduced this way (along with boss battles) to give story exposition.

this seems to be moving along rapidly. did you plot out a full design for the game in advance, or are you doing some amount of winging it? I'm always curious about the design approach of indies.

Ashodin

thank you :D

this seems to be moving along rapidly. did you plot out a full design for the game in advance, or are you doing some amount of winging it? I'm always curious about the design approach of indies.

Ah! I came up with the idea out of the blue one day about a month ago after messing with Apexicon and trying to get it to work (it works now, but my artist is on hiatus so I'm working on this in the meantime).

It's going to be a fairly short six level platformer/puzzler. Combat leads to puzzle leads to combat. Boss battle is a puzzle of its own. I'm winging it for a lot of elements, with a base idea of how things should go.

We just nailed down the idea for the first boss today, Tree Giant. Will be a big tree enemy that can use root attacks on you. Is the leader of the Twigmen.

We use Subversion on CloudForge for Darkest Dungeon. And I run my own Subversion server on my Mac Mini for personal stuff.

You also may want to consider how many binary assets you're going to have before choosing Git. https://help.github.com/articles/what-is-my-disk-quota#large-media-files

Thanks a lot, I'll look into using Subversion. Binary assets aren't really an issue, my stuff is really, really simple programmer art. Could be an issue eventually, I guess, and worth keeping in mind.

I really regret missing the Darkest Dungeon KS, by the way. Game is looking brilliant, been following progress on RPG Codex thread.

I wish I have the time to play with Unity to help you, but I don't have any idea how Unity used the tranformation matrix and in which order, I did actually wrote some for XNA which rotates, translates things like you want but in my own way.

basically my transformation is something like this, I think you can guess what each part is:

Transform = Matrix.Identity *
Matrix.CreateTranslation( Origin.X , Origin.Y , 0 ) *
Matrix.CreateScale( new Vector3( Scale , Scale , Scale ) ) *
Matrix.CreateRotationZ( Rotation ) *
Matrix.CreateTranslation( -Position.X - View.X , -Position.Y - View.Y , 0 );

and I am only rotating Z so it behaves like spritebatch, maybe you can use this in Unity?

This was very helpful, thanks. I was able to finally get it working, the final thing I was forgetting is that Unity is column major but XNA is row major. In XNA one can do transform *= Matrix.CreateTranslation(); (or whatever) but in Unity I have to do transform = Matrix.CreateTranslation() * transform;.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom