• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

oXPiHm1.gif

Energy particles when you dispatch enemies.

Jobbs

Banned
oXPiHm1.gif

Energy particles when you dispatch enemies.

are you aiming with the mouse? how will this work on wii u?

also re. explosion what about some more particles that move faster and further out and happen right when it dies? maybe as dark colored debris or light colored sparks. get more of a satisfying feedback that way, imo.

Ashodin

are you aiming with the mouse? how will this work on wii u?

also re. explosion what about some more particles that move faster and further out and happen right when it dies? maybe as dark colored debris or light colored sparks. get more of a satisfying feedback that way, imo.

Hmm... I could do that, yeah

Also it'll be translated into touches on Wii U. Spot you touch on the GamePad will shoot a shot in that direction.

Ashodin

Something like this?

ZL6WQCK.gif

Lol Blizzard. This development is REALLY fun to play with because I love the art so much.

mabec

That fog reminds of both Shadows of Colossus, Twin Peaks and perhaps even Golden Eye.
So it look very tempting to explore that world. That axe in his hand screams crafting tho...

Question: Would a HL2 mod be worth posting here when I've got more work done on it? Been screwing with the ai to make it do more complex stuff, gonna also look into editing weapons and some other stuff. Basically gonna try to do a campaign that uses HL2's content but with a pretty different take on it. More open levels and ways to hide from enemies, etc.

James Coote

Neo Member
Question: Would a HL2 mod be worth posting here when I've got more work done on it? Been screwing with the ai to make it do more complex stuff, gonna also look into editing weapons and some other stuff. Basically gonna try to do a campaign that uses HL2's content but with a pretty different take on it. More open levels and ways to hide from enemies, etc.

Sounds interesting. Making levels for the original HL is what got me interested in pursuing game development in the first place, so definitely valid to post about it here imo.

How much progress have you made since...?
A lot. Working on our first trailer now. Mechanics are 99% done with the exception of tweaking the feels. Need to finish 3 more enemies then off to developing complete levels and finishing the cutscenes. The rest is pretty much done. I'd say it won't be long but then again we all work day jobs and have families so it could take another 6 months, 2 months, a year... Its anyone's guess at this point haha :

We are working steady on it tho. I took two weeks following my surgery and time off of work to get a LOT done. Now my week back to work I took off to get back in the swing of things. Steady as she goes.

missile

^ Got it. The graphics resp. art style of the game is the one you posted, or is
it just a part of the game (sort of being in an in-game computer or something)?

missile

Selections as well as cut/copy/paste are fully working now. I've implemented
many of the standard forms for handling and modifying text within an edit box
like for example ctrl-{a,x,c,v,right,left} and stuff like shift-{home,end}.
Further, I also implemented mouse word-selections and also a Unix-style mouse
copy and paste behavior, i.e. upon selecting a text with the mouse the
selected text gets copied into the clipboard. And upon pressing the middle
mouse button the previously selected text gets pasted. That's quite handy and
speedy.

P0P0NsY.gif

Cut/copy/paste plus selection using ctrl-{...}, shift-{...}, and friends.

To enhance the clipboard-mouse interaction in conjunction with the Unix-style
mouse behavior indicated above, I will also program a popup window, called
by a special key combination, which will list recently made selections (in
order) such that clicking the mouse on one will make it the current selection.
That's quite comfortable, fast, and saves lot of key strokes resp. mouse
clicks.

Anyone has some other interesting tricks regarding mouse, keyboard, clipboard
interactions with respect to edit boxes?

Another thing I consider is to drop a box below each edit box listing recently
entered phrases. Another minor feature is to have a delete button on one side
of the box to clear its content with just a mouse click. I find this quite
handy in many cases.

gUxRB5f.gif

Mouse copy/paste and word selection.

^ Got it. The graphics resp. art style of the game is the one you posted, or is
it just a part of the game (sort of being in an in-game computer or something)?
That is what the game looks like while playing. You are an antivirus ninja inside a computer ridding an infection. For giggles we threw in netcode today for co-op. We had no plans for it but we were just mucking around with nothing serious and decided to relax our brains a bit from our actual work and slam our faces on our desks in frustration over never having written netcode. It works though, hahaha! We have a running playable server and super easy to use game menu to start/connect a game.

There are a few bugs... Notably physics gets turned to 11 when a player leaves the server but we need to refactor the netcode :p

New progress video, you can now shoot dumb projectiles that do nothing lol

http://youtu.be/kyEKuTWkWR8

Pretty cool that I can have all those dynamic lights in a forward renderer.

FYI: I can start selling this on early access! :O - jk, though its funny because I'm sure someone has tried to do something like that

vivin

Really nice!! :D

Thanks guys :D

That fog reminds of both Shadows of Colossus, Twin Peaks and perhaps even Golden Eye.
So it look very tempting to explore that world. That axe in his hand screams crafting tho...

Cheers man, the fog is rather thick in this area of the world currently. Lighting as a whole needs more balancing so this could possibly change in the future. There is indeed some form of crafting involved in the game, but that axe is used for combat, rather than chopping wood ;)

Ashen dev is a GAFfer, fantastic
Your game looks so good, can't wait to see more!

Haha, thanks man, I just stumbled upon the july indie thread and noticed some discussion is happening over there as well ;)

Anustart

What might be the easiest way to get a random color from a texture? I'm wanting to emit particles of some sort upon hitting an object and just want the colors to be from what was collided with.

Is GetPixels the best?

Blizzard

Banned
I know this is ultra simple and the sort of thing that anyone else would probably be able to do in a weekend, but it makes me really happy to finally have things set up to show distances. :p The numbers in squares are just for debugging.

This weekend I refactored my game logic to have more of a state machine approach so I can handle all the different cursor and control states as squares are highlighted, units are selected, commands are given, GUIs pop up and go away, and so forth.

Jobbs

Banned
Youtube doesn't have official 60 fps support yet. I was wondering whether Vimeo does -- I'm having trouble getting a clear answer. Anyone know? I think it'd be really cool to do a gameplay video in 60fps.

Blizzard

Banned
Youtube doesn't have official 60 fps support yet. I was wondering whether Vimeo does -- I'm having trouble getting a clear answer. Anyone know? I think it'd be really cool to do a gameplay video in 60fps.
I -think- that YouTube has some HTML5 beta that can play 60 fps, but you may have to jump through hoops to encode at half speed or something where it will render properly.

Dailymotion is the only site I know of that is supposed to support 60 fps.

Five

Banned
I -think- that YouTube has some HTML5 beta that can play 60 fps, but you may have to jump through hoops to encode at half speed or something where it will render properly.

Dailymotion is the only site I know of that is supposed to support 60 fps.

There's a playback speed option on the HTML5 player for certain videos, so if it's 30fps at regular speed, double speed will return it to 60fps. Hoops.

I'm fine having my videos cut down to 30fps for now since I'm not in a big promotional push, but I hope they make the change in the next month or so.

"Youtube doesn't have official 60 fps support yet. I was wondering whether Vimeo does -- I'm having trouble getting a clear answer. Anyone know? I think it'd be really cool to do a gameplay video in 60fps."

There's Gamersyde that does support 60fps.

Vimeo certainly supports 60fps on downloaded videos, not sure if I've ever seen 60fps via their player. Vimeo's kinda finnicky about game videos on their site (though, they do allow it if it's your game or something. Kind of.)

Noogy

Wow, I'm a little surprised at how poor Unity's animation scripting implementation is (mecanim).

Basically you can't access the name of current animation, what frame you are playing, or get a list of all animations in use by your animation controller. I'm not sure if they expect people to do REALLY rudimentary stuff, and thankfully it seems they are adding some of these features in 5.0, but I can't believe what an oversight this is.

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/06/26/shiny-new-animation-features-in-unity-5-0/

I'm hoping it's just me overlooking something simple, but I've hit quite a roadblock here. There seem to be workarounds, but they only work in editor mode.

Wow, I'm a little surprised at how poor Unity's animation scripting implementation is (mecanim).

Basically you can't access the name of current animation, what frame you are playing, or get a list of all animations in use by your animation controller. I'm not sure if they expect people to do REALLY rudimentary stuff, and thankfully it seems they are adding some of these features in 5.0, but I can't believe what an oversight this is.

I'm hoping it's just me overlooking something simple, but I've hit quite a roadblock here. There seem to be workarounds, but they only work in editor mode.
We have several animations we are currently using with and without mecanim. Without means we just code sprite swaps and have better control over frames. There are also override options you can use with layered animations to blend or flat-out stop one dead and trigger another. You can set their importance much like sprite sorting layers.

We prefer code, TBH. Easier for us to edit and control than mecanim, IMO.

"Youtube doesn't have official 60 fps support yet. I was wondering whether Vimeo does -- I'm having trouble getting a clear answer. Anyone know? I think it'd be really cool to do a gameplay video in 60fps."

There's Gamersyde that does support 60fps.

Vimeo certainly supports 60fps on downloaded videos, not sure if I've ever seen 60fps via their player. Vimeo's kinda finnicky about game videos on their site (though, they do allow it if it's your game or something. Kind of.)

Youtube 60fps is still in 'beta'. Only select channels have the option so far as a trial run it seems.

Hmm interesting, and you are using this in a 2D game? This is meant for 2D?

Edit: Pretty awesome use of it after reading through that thread a bit.

I'm making a 2D System Shock-like and I think it's meant for 2D, it is a Game Maker extension which is primarily used for 2D (though does have 3D capabilities.)

I don't like sitting on the shoulders of giants, but when it comes to things like lighting systems, it's more productive to me to use open source solutions rather than spend weeks stumbling.

I'm making a 2D System Shock-like and I think it's meant for 2D, it is a Game Maker extension which is primarily used for 2D (though does have 3D capabilities.)

I don't like sitting on the shoulders of giants, but when it comes to things like lighting systems, it's more productive to me to use open source solutions rather than spend weeks stumbling.

Yeah its pretty cool, I've never seen such a platform for lighting for 2D games. I can see a lot of cool uses for it, especially for that style of game.

Yeah, as much as I can go and make my own 3D engine, I don't think reinventing the wheel is a good way to spend resources.

Feep

Banned

I absolutely feel you here. Unity 5.0 is going to let you attach scripts directly to animations, but currently, it's rough.

HOWEVER, there are some workarounds.

First, you can get the current and next animation hash number, which is basically a massive integer that corresponds to a state. This is not ideal, but the Unity tutorials recommend setting up a helper class. Use this for reference. There's also an isName function, but I always sort of had problems with that? Try it out. Basically, you want to use animator.getCurrentAnimatorStateInfo() to pull down this class for reference.

Second, you can use tags to quickly identify groups of animation classes. (I use tags like 'reload', 'fire', and a few others that multiple animations fall into.) Use this for reference.

You can set up animation events that can trigger some code to run at a certain frame of an animation. This is a relatively recent addition and I wish I had it earlier. Basically you define events in the "Animation" tab when you import animations, give the event a name, and then have public void someName() in a script somewhere on that same gameObject. Works great.

Finally, for "frame number", you can write a quick utility class that checks the normalizedTime of the animation and multiplies it by the known frame length to get the current frame. Unity doesn't seem to handle much in reference to direct frame numbers, because unlike sprites, all 3-D animation works via interpolated bezier curves; the program can sample the curve at any point. I recommend using times instead of frame numbers, if possible.

You might be tempted to use the legacy animation system, but trust me. Don't. = P

Has anyone here had any experience working with custom cursors in the Unity web player? I'm trying to have the cursor auto-hide during the game until a mouse-controlled weapon is collected by the player, at which point I want the cursor to become visible (with a custom texture).

It works when previewing the game in the Unity IDE with my current implementation (Screen.showCursor is either true or false), but not in the web player (the cursor stays hidden throughout).

Does the web player require a different method?

(I'm testing it on a mac in firefox)

Has anyone here had any experience working with custom cursors in the Unity web player? I'm trying to have the cursor auto-hide during the game until a mouse-controlled weapon is collected by the player, at which point I want the cursor to become visible (with a custom texture).

It works when previewing the game in the Unity IDE with my current implementation (Screen.showCursor is either true or false), but not in the web player (the cursor stays hidden throughout).

Does the web player require a different method?

(I'm testing it on a mac in firefox)
Unsure with FF on Mac but I did do a small test for giggles using Chrome on PC and it works as expected.

Whenever I need to toggle the mouse I use both show and lock. Show is false and lock is true. This keeps the mouse inside the player and prevents it from not interacting if you need to make it appear again. This can be a bad thing running in windowed mode either in your browser or desktop. I would just disable mouse clicks until needed and let the user move the cursor to the side away from the window, personally.

If a user is running from the web or windowed desktop, they expect a cursor present while not in a "full" application. Seeing your cursor go missing on your desktop creeps even me out, at times. I'd rather not have it hidden from me entirely due to a web app or windowed application. Fullscreen? Lock and hide it. Windowed? Keep it visible and let the user move it to the side but disable clicks in the player window.

Just my .02

Vark

So this looks like absolute nonsense but I got a working bezier based implementation that I can use pretty easily to path objects across the screen. Next week it'll actually look like a game but I'm overloading it for speed tests on devices and the like. The animated gif is giant and way slower than it actually is (since it's smooth and 60fps) but I'll worry about how to make animated gifs look pretty later :D

(linking so as not to overload people with a 1.5meg gif)

http://frankward.net/neogaf/bezier_pathing.gif

Jobbs

Banned

Not much of a unity expert, but Roger (my friend who IS a unity guy) says he uses 2D toolkit and has none of these problems.

"use 2dToolkit. it will give you access to each frame of animation . and the names of the animations. You have pretty much full control" -him

Feep

Banned
Not much of a unity expert, but Roger (my friend who IS a unity guy) says he uses 2D toolkit and has none of these problems.

"use 2dToolkit. it will give you access to each frame of animation . and the names of the animations. You have pretty much full control" -him
If you're doing sprite-based 2-D animation, sure. Mecanim is primarily meant for full 3-D models.

Jobbs

Banned
If you're doing sprite-based 2-D animation, sure. Mecanim is primarily meant for full 3-D models.

Ah. Interesting. I don't know what mecanim is, but when I saw noogy I just naturally assumed he was doing something in 2D.

now I'm curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom