• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spent the good part of 2 weeks revising my backgrounds for Generations, there is now a full day and night cycle which changes real time compared to a stock 4 settings like before, also weather can come and go which i'm rather happy with.

Some things I am looking into are water levels when it rains, so some hidden areas can only be accessed if the water level is high or you have some kind of jump skill to reach it, not sure though.

I want to show off a lot of footage soon since this has now become my full time job.

popyea

Ah. Interesting. I don't know what mecanim is, but when I saw noogy I just naturally assumed he was doing something in 2D.

now I'm curious.

As far as I know Mecanim can still be used for 2d. It's used as a state machine and for animation blending. I don't think it's that different from 3D if you're doing 2d animation with bones.

Powercast

This thread is so inspiring, I've been lurking it for a while and it motivated me to look into game dev. I've been doing some beginner unity c# tutorials for the past week but it's kinda slow progress since I never coded before. I really wanted to make some kind of 2d metroidvania game, but I guess this will take a while before I have the knowledge to do it lol

Jobbs

Banned
This thread is so inspiring, I've been lurking it for a while and it motivated me to look into game dev. I've been doing some beginner unity c# tutorials for the past week but it's kinda slow progress since I never coded before. I really wanted to make some kind of 2d metroidvania game, but I guess this will take a while before I have the knowledge to do it lol

just a thought -- while some people may have the aptitude to pick up C# with no programming experience and learn pretty quickly, my guess is if you just want to make a game it'd be a faster path there by trying stencyl, game maker, or construct 2. along the way you'll learn a lot about programming concepts, and then work your way up to C# and stuff later.

just a thought -- while some people may have the aptitude to pick up C# with no programming experience and learn pretty quickly, my guess is if you just want to make a game it'd be a faster path there by trying stencyl, game maker, or construct 2. along the way you'll learn a lot about programming concepts, and then work your way up to C# and stuff later.

Yup. Just cause stencyl, gamemaker and some of the other SDK's are "entry level" doesn't mean they're walks in the park. There is a lot of stuff that needs to be done using those programs just to make a game.

Games that are made with the entry level stuff can be just as complex as stuff made with C.

I've been using Game Maker for about a year with no previous programming experience outside of HTML/CSS and while I still haven't completed a game outside of a few smaller projects, it really is amazing what a little dedication to the GML (Game Maker Language) will do for you.

Highly recommend the engine if you're looking to get into game making (2D at least) with no programming experience.

bsp

it's alive

1e8d280cbf.gif

bsp

Hah, I appreciate the kind words :)

Roaming around and exploring this space station is definitely a huge part of the experience. Every environment is quite dense though, so you'll always be finding new little (and sometimes big) things.

cbox

It's incredibly simple, but we got the beginnings of our online leaderboards finally working.

I feel too happy almost :D

M2Sf4IS.png

Interesting, I'm in the same shoes as Powercast, and I'd like to learn C# but it takes dedication which I don't have. Out of Stencyl, Game Maker or Construct 2 which would help the most, so that I can learn C# in the future?

Jobbs

Banned
Interesting, I'm in the same shoes as Powercast, and I'd like to learn C# but it takes dedication which I don't have. Out of Stencyl, Game Maker or Construct 2 which would help the most, so that I can learn C# in the future?

I have the most experience with Stencyl, and am making a game with it. That said, I've goofed around with C2 and game maker a little and have sort of a general view of them.

Stencyl: Most approachable, especially for "right side brain" people, due to the visual programming language. It was originally made primarily for flash and mobile games, but is making a lot of headway with stand alone games lately with a shift in priorities in that direction. Things like gamepad support and full screen shaders and other things have recently been added, and improved atlas managing and other stuff is coming down the pike. Based on haxe/open FL. I have reason to believe wii u (and possibly other) console exports could be coming sometime within about 6 months or so but I really can't say anything beyond that. (I do not speak on this in any official capacity, just saying what I believe based on things I've heard)

Although Stencyl has excellent and intuitive logic building and some momentum with new features being added, there are still some core stability quirks with the app itself and some aspects of the program that feel a bit dated or toy like. For example, It's still difficult to manage and organize your resources, the compiler to stand alone is kind of quirky, and to manage resource intensive projects you probably will need to launch the program from a custom bat file to enable more memory. This is all stuff they seek to overhaul in the future, but in the mean time, like many things, it's a trade off. If you like the positive things about stencyl you will also need a certain degree of patience to put up with some of the more antiquated aspects.

C2: Has a few more features than Stencyl does as currently, but the event sheet system feels less intuitive to me. Based on HTML5 which I'm told has some built in concerns. Already has a Wii U exporter

GM: the most powerful and well resourced of the programs. Has Sony platform exports. Uses its own scripting language "Game Maker Language" (GML) which you must learn if you want to accomplish much of anything with the program, thereby making the barrier to entry for this program the highest of the three (in my opinion)

Noogy

I absolutely feel you here. Unity 5.0 is going to let you attach scripts directly to animations, but currently, it's rough.

HOWEVER, there are some workarounds.

First, you can get the current and next animation hash number, which is basically a massive integer that corresponds to a state. This is not ideal, but the Unity tutorials recommend setting up a helper class. Use this for reference. There's also an isName function, but I always sort of had problems with that? Try it out. Basically, you want to use animator.getCurrentAnimatorStateInfo() to pull down this class for reference.

Second, you can use tags to quickly identify groups of animation classes. (I use tags like 'reload', 'fire', and a few others that multiple animations fall into.) Use this for reference.

You can set up animation events that can trigger some code to run at a certain frame of an animation. This is a relatively recent addition and I wish I had it earlier. Basically you define events in the "Animation" tab when you import animations, give the event a name, and then have public void someName() in a script somewhere on that same gameObject. Works great.

Finally, for "frame number", you can write a quick utility class that checks the normalizedTime of the animation and multiplies it by the known frame length to get the current frame. Unity doesn't seem to handle much in reference to direct frame numbers, because unlike sprites, all 3-D animation works via interpolated bezier curves; the program can sample the curve at any point. I recommend using times instead of frame numbers, if possible.

You might be tempted to use the legacy animation system, but trust me. Don't. = P

Thanks Feep, I figured you would have a few words regarding this. I remember you raging about something similar in the past, and I immediately thought of you.

Not much of a unity expert, but Roger (my friend who IS a unity guy) says he uses 2D toolkit and has none of these problems.

"use 2dToolkit. it will give you access to each frame of animation . and the names of the animations. You have pretty much full control" -him

I didn't know this, very helpful, since I am actually using 2D toolkit for a few things anyway. But Feep is right, since I'm hoping to get used to a workflow that works for 2D and 3D. Once I go polygonal, I'd like to continue doing what I'm learning right now.

Blizzard

Banned
pathsebjmb.gif

As mentioned before, shortest-path calculation like this is really basic stuff, but it makes me happy to finally have the algorithms and state machines start to become integrated. I am ALMOST at the point where I can start moving things around and begin to see if my game ideas are truly terrible! :p

Yellow squares are placeholder obstacles with the cost cranked to 3 instead of the default 1. Path costs are displayed for debug purposes like before.

pathsebjmb.gif

As mentioned before, shortest-path calculation like this is really basic stuff, but it makes me happy to finally have the algorithms and state machines start to become integrated. I am ALMOST at the point where I can start moving things around and begin to see if my game ideas are truly terrible! :p

Yellow squares are placeholder obstacles with the cost cranked to 3 instead of the default 1. Path costs are displayed for debug purposes like before.

That looks great, making good progress. :)

Blizzard

Banned
That looks great, making good progress. :)
Thanks, I figure as long as I keep making progress I will get somewhere with this project eventually. :)

The algorithm I put together to find path costs is brutally inefficient, but that may not matter for the particular case of moving a unit, since it only happens once when the player selects the square. For AI code, I may need to mess with faster techniques, but that's for another day.

Here is the algorithm if anyone is curious ("impossible" is something I intend to use for obstacles):

Code:
Set the path costs of all squares to "unknown".
Set the path cost of the starting square to 0.
Do
   For all squares
      Find the minimum neighboring path cost.
      If the minimum cost is not "impossible", and not "unknown", add the current square's move cost.
      If the resulting sum is lower than the current square's path cost, update the square with the new minimum.
   End for all squares
While at least one square was updated this cycle, keep looping

After I have precalculated all squares, for any particular square I can find the shortest path by starting at the destination and moving to the neighboring square with the lowest path cost, all the way back to the unit.

Thanks, I figure as long as I keep making progress I will get somewhere with this project eventually. :)

The algorithm I put together to find path costs is brutally inefficient, but that may not matter for the particular case of moving a unit, since it only happens once when the player selects the square. For AI code, I may need to mess with faster techniques, but that's for another day.

Here is the algorithm if anyone is curious ("impossible" is something I intend to use for obstacles):

Code:
Set the path costs of all squares to "unknown".
Set the path cost of the starting square to 0.
Do
   For all squares
      Find the minimum neighboring path cost.
      If the minimum cost is not "impossible", and not "unknown", add the current square's move cost.
      If the resulting sum is lower than the current square's path cost, update the square with the new minimum.
   End for all squares
While at least one square was updated this cycle, keep looping

After I have precalculated all squares, for any particular square I can find the shortest path by starting at the destination and moving to the neighboring square with the lowest path cost, all the way back to the unit.

Ouch, O(n²). I'm sure you can find a better alternative in time.

missile

Is it just me, or is this your indie dev home too? ...
Yo.

The only thing I don't like are people in here (juniors with about 1-3 posts)
advertising their new game calling for attention without saying anything else.
Such advertisement belongs to the Indie Games 20{xx} thread. This thread has
'development' in its title for a reason. Anyhow, I recognized that such posts
virtually get no comments to begin with.

missile

pathsebjmb.gif

As mentioned before, shortest-path calculation like this is really basic stuff, but it makes me happy to finally have the algorithms and state machines start to become integrated. I am ALMOST at the point where I can start moving things around and begin to see if my game ideas are truly terrible! :p ...
Oh ... I can feel your satisfaction! :) :+

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
My current project is taking waaay longer than I expected. But after switching from my original 2D vision to 2.5D, I'm learning so much about modelling, texturing, shaders, lighting, etc. that I don't really mind. Currently trying to use substance designer to get some texturing done.

I have the most experience with Stencyl, and am making a game with it. That said, I've goofed around with C2 and game maker a little and have sort of a general view of them.

Stencyl: Most approachable, especially for "right side brain" people, due to the visual programming language. It was originally made primarily for flash and mobile games, but is making a lot of headway with stand alone games lately with a shift in priorities in that direction. Things like gamepad support and full screen shaders and other things have recently been added, and improved atlas managing and other stuff is coming down the pike. Based on haxe/open FL. I have reason to believe wii u (and possibly other) console exports could be coming sometime within about 6 months or so but I really can't say anything beyond that. (I do not speak on this in any official capacity, just saying what I believe based on things I've heard)

Although Stencyl has excellent and intuitive logic building and some momentum with new features being added, there are still some core stability quirks with the app itself and some aspects of the program that feel a bit dated or toy like. For example, It's still difficult to manage and organize your resources, the compiler to stand alone is kind of quirky, and to manage resource intensive projects you probably will need to launch the program from a custom bat file to enable more memory. This is all stuff they seek to overhaul in the future, but in the mean time, like many things, it's a trade off. If you like the positive things about stencyl you will also need a certain degree of patience to put up with some of the more antiquated aspects.

C2: Has a few more features than Stencyl does as currently, but the event sheet system feels less intuitive to me. Based on HTML5 which I'm told has some built in concerns. Already has a Wii U exporter

GM: the most powerful and well resourced of the programs. Has Sony platform exports. Uses its own scripting language "Game Maker Language" (GML) which you must learn if you want to accomplish much of anything with the program, thereby making the barrier to entry for this program the highest of the three (in my opinion)

Thanks, I really do appreciate it. I'll do some research on my own and see whether I should use C2 or Stencyl. Also, I take it you're interested in publishing on Wii U or already have?

Jobbs

Banned
Thanks, I really do appreciate it. I'll do some research on my own and see whether I should use C2 or Stencyl. Also, I take it you're interested in publishing on Wii U or already have?

I'm very interested in it but am not saying much else at the moment.

Jobbs

Banned
Lot of placeholder action going on in this, but what the hell. I finally put in the functioning map overlay.

example: http://gfycat.com/FrightenedGreedyCuckoo

The way maps work in this game is, as opposed to mapping things in real time like a GPS, you find capsules left behind by some ancient explorer that contain a fragment of the surroundign area and an accompanying log. I wanted to sort of find a compromise between the weight and authentic feel of a mapless environment and the mechanical helpfulness of the sort of constant GPS map you get in most modern games.

when you bring up the map overlay it will bring up your acquired fragments, laid out in the proper spots, and if you are within a room that is contained in one of your acquired fragments, it'll show which room you're in. In addition, the fragment (which is a cluster of rooms) that you're currently in will be highlighted. If you go off map, you'll get a notification that you're off map, which I hope subtly adds a bit of tension.

Some fragments are more hidden than others, but ultimately, even if you acquire 100% of the fragments, much of the map will remain, er, off-map. Fragments will only get you so much. It's just there to provide some context, some reference, as opposed to letting you map everywhere you go.

I plan to add some more doohickies to the map to make it a bit more interesting, but I can rest easily now that the whole system is working.

Unsure with FF on Mac but I did do a small test for giggles using Chrome on PC and it works as expected.

Whenever I need to toggle the mouse I use both show and lock. Show is false and lock is true. This keeps the mouse inside the player and prevents it from not interacting if you need to make it appear again. This can be a bad thing running in windowed mode either in your browser or desktop. I would just disable mouse clicks until needed and let the user move the cursor to the side away from the window, personally.

If a user is running from the web or windowed desktop, they expect a cursor present while not in a "full" application. Seeing your cursor go missing on your desktop creeps even me out, at times. I'd rather not have it hidden from me entirely due to a web app or windowed application. Fullscreen? Lock and hide it. Windowed? Keep it visible and let the user move it to the side but disable clicks in the player window.

Just my .02

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that this afternoon. It's the one thing I have to fix before I can unleash my first kind-of actual game that I've built from the ground up.

There are a few other minor bugs that I know of, but I'm totally willing to let them slide this time, especially given that only two people will probably play it.

Ashodin

Lot of placeholder action going on in this, but what the hell. I finally put in the functioning map overlay.

The way maps work in this game is, as opposed to mapping things in real time like a GPS, you find capsules left behind by some ancient explorer that contain a fragment of the surroundign area and an accompanying log. I wanted to sort of find a compromise between the weight and authentic feel of a mapless environment and the mechanical helpfulness of the sort of constant GPS map you get in most modern games.

when you bring up the map overlay it will bring up your acquired fragments, laid out in the proper spots, and if you are within a room that is contained in one of your acquired fragments, it'll show which room you're in. In addition, the fragment (which is a cluster of rooms) that you're currently in will be highlighted. If you go off map, you'll get a notification that you're off map, which I hope subtly adds a bit of tension.

Some fragments are more hidden than others, but ultimately, even if you acquire 100% of the fragments, much of the map will remain, er, off-map. Fragments will only get you so much. It's just there to provide some context, some reference, as opposed to letting you map everywhere you go.

I plan to add some more doohickies to the map to make it a bit more interesting, but I can rest easily now that the whole system is working.
Not being able to map everywhere in game is going to piss people right off. The ocd crowd willl fucking rage. I'm cool with it, since it's just making it memory instead of checkmarking an area; but there will be backlash.

Jobbs

Banned
Not being able to map everywhere in game is going to piss people right off. The ocd crowd willl fucking rage. I'm cool with it, since it's just making it memory instead of checkmarking an area; but there will be backlash.

let them rage. it's not the kind of game that asks nothing of anyone. what's there is meant to be a reference point, to sorta anchor you as you explore the unknown, not as a way to ignore the world and just look at a GPS all day.

that said, I'll listen to feedback when I have testers playing the game, and take it into account, obviously, but for now I have a pretty firm idea of where I want to go.

edit -- I should clarify -- I probably sounded more like a dick there than I meant to -- My posture is that I'm ready to stand strong against a certain amount of backlash in order to make the game I want to make and the game I promised, but I do listen to feedback. This is a game that's meant to feel desolate and alone, and a handholdy map works against that.

I'm very interested in it but am not saying much else at the moment.
So am I, there are so many things that can be done with the gamepad, though I'm thinking years down the line and if I'm lucky. Anyway, one last question, could you make something complicated like Ghost Song in C2 (once again, thinking down the line)?

Jobbs

Banned
So am I, there are so many things that can be done with the gamepad, though I'm thinking years down the line and if I'm lucky. Anyway, one last question, could you make something complicated like Ghost Song in C2 (once again, thinking down the line)?

you could make ghost song in any of the three programs I listed.

Nibel

Mhm, I would try to remove the flickering or at least slower it for people who might struggle with epilepsy or something similar. Other than that: awesome.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that this afternoon. It's the one thing I have to fix before I can unleash my first kind-of actual game that I've built from the ground up.

There are a few other minor bugs that I know of, but I'm totally willing to let them slide this time, especially given that only two people will probably play it.
Three people. Post up a link when done.

Jobbs

Banned
Mhm, I would try to remove the flickering or at least slower it for people who might struggle with epilepsy or something similar. Other than that: awesome.

thanks, I'll be tweaking that.

here you can see what happens if you leave the available map area. note there's an error in the placeholder map graphic that doesn't show there's a doorway here. in any case:

http://gfycat.com/MixedSelfishGuernseycow

I plan to add some reference points for where you are in the unmapped area relative to the mapped area to help make sense of it.

Nibel

thanks, I'll be tweaking that.

here you can see what happens if you leave the available map area. note there's an error in the placeholder map graphic that doesn't show there's a doorway here. in any case:

http://gfycat.com/MixedSelfishGuernseycow

I plan to add some reference points for where you are in the unmapped area relative to the mapped area to help make sense of it.

Sounds like a good idea! How do you get maps - do you just find them in map-rooms like in Metroid Fusion or does the player has to unravel the map by himself like in Super Metroid? I like how the map can be shown during gameplay, reminds me of the good old Diablo 2 days, heh.

Jobbs

Banned
Sounds like a good idea! How do you get maps - do you just find them in map-rooms like in Metroid Fusion or does the player has to unravel the map by himself like in Super Metroid? I like how the map can be shown during gameplay, reminds me of the good old Diablo 2 days, heh.

thanks. :) You find capsules left behind by a lore character who was exploring the world. They can be found just about anywhere. Some are laid out in front of you, others are well hidden. Sometimes they're placed in such a way that you find them deep in a no outlet area, such that you can more easily find your way back out.

As currently planned, you don't actually expand the map in any other way. Only by finding capsules.

razu

pathsebjmb.gif

Cool!! :D

Yo.

The only thing I don't like are people in here (juniors with about 1-3 posts)
advertising their new game calling for attention without saying anything else.
Such advertisement belongs to the Indie Games 20{xx} thread. This thread has
'development' in its title for a reason. Anyhow, I recognized that such posts
virtually get no comments to begin with.

Yeah, it sorts itself out.

Nibel

thanks. :) You find capsules left behind by a lore character who was exploring the world. They can be found just about anywhere. Some are laid out in front of you, others are well hidden.

As currently planned, you don't actually expand the map in any other way. Only by finding capsules.

That's pretty clever: not only does this make the map-expansion part of the lore/story/narrative, but also puts another important item on the list of items for players to look out for. Not sure how you plan to place the capsules in the game world, but if you make them accessible after letting the players solve puzzles (example) or something similar - that might be cool.

Looking forward to this :)

Sorry, coming into this one late but another alternative a friend of mine has been using if you ever want to use Unity is 'Playmaker'. He's not big on programming but he's found the visual interface and state machine playmaker provides has let him create all kinds of stuff.
Admittedly though, I'm not exactly sure how good Unity is yet for 2D stuff compared to dedicated 2D engines like Gamemaker and co :3

V_Arnold

Blizzard, it is nice to see progress with your game system! I was looking at A* as well when I was about to write something similar. I had less problems with this as I did not have obstacles in a strict sense (figures passing by each other), so it was very easy to create a set of points to traverse through.

Looking forward to a playable version! ;)

Powercast

Yup. Just cause stencyl, gamemaker and some of the other SDK's are "entry level" doesn't mean they're walks in the park. There is a lot of stuff that needs to be done using those programs just to make a game.

Games that are made with the entry level stuff can be just as complex as stuff made with C.
Thanks guys. I actually used GM a few years back, so I kinda understand the basic programming concepts. I thought about using one of those programs but I just wanted to see if I could learn a programming language like c# and unity first, since it has the most potential in the long run, specially if I end up wanting to make 3d games.

And Jobbs your game looks insane, exactly the type of game I would love to make/play. Will get it day one for sure.

Three people. Post up a link when done.

So I managed to fix the cursor issue (at least in FF, so ymmv). In the end what I did was instead of setting the cursor through the player settings, I attached the cursor texture to my player, and had a separate cursor script assign that texture to the cursor when needed. All very simple, but slightly unintuitive to have to manually code something that there's already a built in option for!

But with that, my first game SEAL, BE MY FRIEND! (built from scratch in Unity) is complete. I say game, really it's more of a joke for a friend who recently told me about her futile attempts to befriend seals while sailing. There are MULTIPLE ENDINGS though, and that's a thing that games have, right?

I only started fiddling with Unity three weeks ago, although I already had some not-so-recent coding experience in C++ and Java so I've not been starting entirely from scratch on the knowledge front.

There's a couple of known bugs:
you're not supposed to be able to 'force' yourself to travel backwards beyond the limits of the camera, but in the end I had to give up trying to fix the camera code to get this finished on time (and preserve my hobbyist sanity)
and
you can shoot seals slightly more frequently than the gun actually shoots
. If you find any others though, I'd love to know what I've missed.

Play, don't play, I won't be offended :)

CLICK HERE TO PLAY

So I managed to fix the cursor issue (at least in FF, so ymmv). In the end what I did was instead of setting the cursor through the player settings, I attached the cursor texture to my player, and had a separate cursor script assign that texture to the cursor when needed. All very simple, but slightly unintuitive to have to manually code something that there's already a built in option for!

But with that, my first game SEAL, BE MY FRIEND! (built from scratch in Unity) is complete. I say game, really it's more of a joke for a friend who recently told me about her futile attempts to befriend seals while sailing. There are MULTIPLE ENDINGS though, and that's a thing that games have, right?

I only started fiddling with Unity three weeks ago, although I already had some not-so-recent coding experience in C++ and Java so I've not been starting entirely from scratch on the knowledge front.

you're not supposed to be able to 'force' yourself to travel backwards beyond the limits of the camera, but in the end I had to give up trying to fix the camera code to get this finished on time (and preserve my hobbyist sanity)
and

CLICK HERE TO PLAY

lol, super cute and pretty well presented too, especially for a first try. I also like the job you've done with the audio as the soundscape feels pretty complete with all actions having a sound and good background ambience.
That all said, I distinctly suspect that the friendmaker isn't making me friends though :p

and

CLICK HERE TO PLAY
Will check out when I get home :D

Also, its not so much "camera" code as much as it is player object position relative to the camera's vector and disabling movement at a given threshold to create a rolling invisible wall. Or use world to screen space and check screen.height/width or however you like. Either of those will work but I like rolling units to screen space since it is resolution independent. Personal preference.

amanset

Yeah, these things can get inefficient fast. A couple of months back I did a programming test for a reasonably well known studio, they asked me to implement A* in C++. I hadn't actually coded C++ since about 2007 and so I was just amazed that I got the damn thing to work in a weekend. However I got rejected because of the inefficiencies (which after talking it through with a friend I can now see were glaringly obvious).

Annoying, but you live and learn.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, these things can get inefficient fast. A couple of months back I did a programming test for a reasonably well known studio, they asked me to implement A* in C++. I hadn't actually coded C++ since about 2007 and so I was just amazed that I got the damn thing to work in a weekend. However I got rejected because of the inefficiencies (which after talking it through with a friend I can now see were glaringly obvious).

Annoying, but you live and learn.
Do you happen to remember what the lessons learned from that experience were -- what the most important things that should have been optimized were for example?

As a side note, one very simple optimization I will probably do is only calculating costs of squares that I know are possible to move to, instead of parsing all map squares. The worst case cost would remain the same if a unit could theoretically move everywhere, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom