• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grakl

For Anyone Interested:
Draw an 8x8 or 16x16 px image (i will scale these, myself) using white and gray on black background (2 colors only, any shade of white or gray). It can be a symbol, face, letter, icon, anything you like. I will take said image of yours and hide it in our first trailer (as many as I can if there are a lot, I won't be able to use all of them) and in various areas of our game. If you are picked your GAF name will be in our credits.

Anyone is able to contribute, not just devGAF.

Have fun!

Example:
8x8.png

here's a tiny dude
H1nTiFU.png

missile

For Anyone Interested:
Draw an 8x8 or 16x16 px image (i will scale these, myself) using white and gray on black background (2 colors only, any shade of white or gray). It can be a symbol, face, letter, icon, anything you like. I will take said image of yours and hide it in our first trailer (as many as I can if there are a lot, I won't be able to use all of them) and in various areas of our game. If you are picked your GAF name will be in our credits.

Have fun!

Example:
8x8.png

jA3dzan.png
0x00 0x5a 0x00 0x5a 0x5a 0x00 0x5a 0x00

Binary contour density plot of the famous sinc function. It's the single most
important function underlying all of digital data.

pixelpai

Neo Member
Thank you both! :)
Today I have been working on the entrance to the cave levels!

JR7RU35.jpg

i'm singing along with the praise: this is gorgeous.

For Anyone Interested:

Have fun!

I know it is a little bit of self-promotion (I do understand, if this is not ok), but here is my contribution:

wqQgeqY.png

I haven't posted about my game for long time. It is still slowly progressing. To be more precise: I have been working on that game as a spare-time activity for two years now; mostly (as strange as it may sound) only on Tuesdays evenings. That may explain the slow progress.
Anyhow: I finally decided on a name: Twixel
And here is a new screenshot showing the "end of level - your ratings"-screen:

Not the most exciting stuff to show off, I know.. for more infos: please follow: @pixelplant_ios

This looks excellent. Great work, really unique style.

Oh crap that's raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

i'm singing along with the praise: this is gorgeous.

Aww shucks you guys, you are way too kind :)
Here's pretty much the finished tile piece.

I zoomed the camera right out to get a nice shot!
Tay our art director needs to make some stone step sprites, but he's currently concentrating on some enemy designs - which, you know, is far more rad.

I've also just joined up on TIGSource, so if any of you folks here are part of that community, come say hi! :D
TIGSource Devlog

For Anyone Interested:

Have fun!

Example:
8x8.png

16x16_zps2a56c797.gif

all seeing eye

Getting "Below" vibes. This is a good thing.

Haha. Yeah, we actually had to push the artstyle away from Below when we realized our first concept was too similar, and we feared we might starting getting some negative comparisons.

There's still lots of stuff we want to add to each scene like particleFX & post processing, but for the base art direction, we're happy with what we've settled on!

razu

The idea I have is that demons contain a certain type of energy, denoted by colour. You kill a red demon, you pick up some red energy fragments.

You'll then be able to augment your weapons with the energy when you're in some kind of hub, not while playing.

I'm thinking you'll have a small range of weapons, rifle, shotgun, pistol — maybe a blade of some sort. Each one can be modified by the energy fragments, but with a mechanic that means you have to decide which energy to use on which weapon. So, perhaps you apply all red energies to your shotgun, all blue to the pistol, etc... Perhaps mixing will become a higher level ability, with an ultimate white weapon.

The applied energy will modify the affectiveness of the weapon against different coloured demons in the next round. So, you won't be able to use the shotgun all the time. You'll need to swap to rifle or pistol, depending on the enemy you're fighting at the time.

Each weapon will differ by reload characteristics, ranges, and other such parameters. So, perhaps a certain enemy is best to fight with a powerful weapon that reloads slowly, etc...

The coloured enemies are exciting as I can blend the colours, or just use hint on the eyes, or make them invisible until you shoot... with just their movement sounds and attack cues to listen for..

I'm hyped for this game!! :D

These are the energy fragments...

They can produce some wicked colours when overlapping...

I'm messing with dirty lens effects right now. They won't be permanently on like they are here!

I'm still, deep down, most happy because of the fixed aspect ratio of 2.35:1. I've always disliked having to put up with dealing with whatever random aspect ratio the player has set up on their machine. How are you supposed to frame an image when you can't control the shape of the picture!? Madness. 2.35:1 is also a lovely shaped picture. I may experiment with wider formats.

So I was hoping you folks could help me out with something I've been having an issue with.

This is the problem: In my game there is a gun that summons divebombing Bald Eagles that explode in a deadly rain of patriotic fireworks, and I'm having a hard time making it not rad as hell.

Advice?

Blizzard

Banned
I'm still, deep down, most happy because of the fixed aspect ratio of 2.35:1. I've always disliked having to put up with dealing with whatever random aspect ratio the player has set up on their machine. How are you supposed to frame an image when you can't control the shape of the picture!? Madness. 2.35:1 is also a lovely shaped picture. I may experiment with wider formats.
It's your game and you can certainly make whatever choices you like. I personally prefer the golden ratio, roughly 1.618.

It is a little amusing to see this issue from the other side, however. Normally you see this mentioned when players are raging at a game and asking "Why does it force me to use ugly black bars and manually crop them when taking screenshots? Why CAN'T I play with a 16:10 or 16:9 monitor?"

It's your game and you can certainly make whatever choices you like. I personally prefer the golden ratio, roughly 1.618.

It is a little amusing to see this issue from the other side, however. Normally you see this mentioned when players are raging at a game and asking "Why does it force me to use ugly black bars and manually crop them when taking screenshots? Why CAN'T I play with a 16:10 or 16:9 monitor?"

It is interesting. My game has an unconventional resolution as I'm imitating the NES resolution just a little wider.

I have to keep everything divisible by 4 to maintain a consistent pixel density, so it leads to a non traditional resolution to maintain the framing I feel is important to keeping our game close to NES. People will likely complain about the black bars.

For people using Unity and 2D tool kit, can you guys share your thoughts on 2DTK's sprite animation system vs. Unity 2D's native solution? I haven't dabbled too deeply in either of them yet, but they both seem pretty capable for spritesheets. However, I would also like to use 2D skeletal animations for bigger enemies, and it seems like Unity's native solution would work better there.

razu

So I was hoping you folks could help me out with something I've been having an issue with.

This is the problem: In my game there is a gun that summons divebombing Bald Eagles that explode in a deadly rain of patriotic fireworks, and I'm having a hard time making it not rad as hell.

Advice?

I think there's a plugin on the Unity Asset Store that does exactly this.. ;D

It is interesting. My game has an unconventional resolution as I'm imitating the NES resolution just a little wider.

I have to keep everything divisible by 4 to maintain a consistent pixel density, so it leads to a non traditional resolution to maintain the framing I feel is important to keeping our game close to NES. People will likely complain about the black bars.

Indeed. I'm sure some people won't like it. But, every choice you make will exclude some people. FPS? Some people won't give it a second look. Pixel art? Some people don't like it, etc..

I think we just have to make the coolest stuff we can, and see if some people actually like the thing :D

Indeed. I'm sure some people won't like it. But, every choice you make will exclude some people. FPS? Some people won't give it a second look. Pixel art? Some people don't like it, etc..

I think we just have to make the coolest stuff we can, and see if some people actually like the thing :D

This has been a discussed for as long as people have been making things. The process of creation and the decisions involved is absolutely fascinating, and it's always at its most interesting when they're the product of a singular vision.

A team of people can share that singular vision, but an audience certainly can't. I'll never understand people who set out to make things "with the community." While I'm sure some times it's just an attempt to use smoke and mirrors to get them on-side, there's certainly cases where it's a genuine aim.

The identity of them (the audience) is always a tricky one. Some people actively don't consider it, and some seem people refer to the notion of that unknown mass with every step, the fear of acceptance driving their every decision (obviously it's a spectrum, and these are just the extremes). And honestly, which product would you rather experience as a viewer/reader/player? I know which I'd rather.

You have a story to tell, so you tell it. You don't pause at every beat to gauge its reaction.

DarkSiegmeyer

Neo Member
Hey guys, been a long while since I last posted anything about my game, Blood Alloy - I think the last I mentioned it was during our Kickstarter in October.

Anyway we've been busting butts on it and work goes on.

A friend played the game, liked the Vanquish-boost-on-the-ground mechanic, and asked me, "Why not boost up walls and across ceilings?"

Most brilliant design suggestion I've ever heard.

Consider checking us out on Steam Greenlight please!

New enemy art and animations:
s8LbDpg.gif

New player art and animations:
1OdzBLR.gif

cFSESIY.gif

And jetpack-enhanced gameplay:
FrighteningColorfulFiddlercrab.gif

Jobbs

Banned
Hey guys, been a long while since I last posted anything about my game, Blood Alloy - I think the last I mentioned it was during our Kickstarter in October.

A friend played the game, liked the Vanquish-boost-on-the-ground mechanic, and asked me, "Why not boost up walls and across ceilings?"

s8LbDpg.gif

1OdzBLR.gif

cFSESIY.gif

looks good. I voted yes on greenlight.

my main feedback so far is the camera zooms. they're too fast and frequent. It'd make playing the game uncomfortable -- IMO.

DarkSiegmeyer

Neo Member
looks good. I voted yes on greenlight.

my main feedback so far is the camera zooms. they're too fast and frequent. It'd make playing the game uncomfortable -- IMO.

Thanks for the vote - and yup, a couple people have been made motion-sick by the camera zooms/shakes. That footage is ~2 months old. They've been since turned down, and we've also included an option to further dial them back if you wish or even turn them off entirely.

missile

Just put up a 3 minute clip of an arcade mode session, check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeVrsfTfN34
I think this game can only be judge fully while playing it inside out.

yE9vrTS.png

Cave mockup. The idea is to have different color and lighting tones for each stage.
Sweet!

The idea I have is that demons contain a certain type of energy, denoted by colour. You kill a red demon, you pick up some red energy fragments.

You'll then be able to augment your weapons with the energy when you're in some kind of hub, not while playing.

I'm thinking you'll have a small range of weapons, rifle, shotgun, pistol — maybe a blade of some sort. Each one can be modified by the energy fragments, but with a mechanic that means you have to decide which energy to use on which weapon. So, perhaps you apply all red energies to your shotgun, all blue to the pistol, etc... Perhaps mixing will become a higher level ability, with an ultimate white weapon.

The applied energy will modify the affectiveness of the weapon against different coloured demons in the next round. So, you won't be able to use the shotgun all the time. You'll need to swap to rifle or pistol, depending on the enemy you're fighting at the time.

Each weapon will differ by reload characteristics, ranges, and other such parameters. So, perhaps a certain enemy is best to fight with a powerful weapon that reloads slowly, etc...

The coloured enemies are exciting as I can blend the colours, or just use hint on the eyes, or make them invisible until you shoot... with just their movement sounds and attack cues to listen for..

I'm hyped for this game!! :D

These are the energy fragments...

They can produce some wicked colours when overlapping...

I'm messing with dirty lens effects right now. They won't be permanently on like they are here!

Some relief from SSS? ;)

RawNuts

For Anyone Interested:

Have fun!

Example:
8x8.png
Fun; I never do sprite stuff so it's a nice change of pace.

KXFjbkk.png

missile

Pfeww ... resizable windows are in!

RSA_0xcf.gif

Basically, I've extended my message system for dragging events. Upon
recognizing a drag (mouse down & move) a specific mouse message is sent
through the system which may get handled by a message handler. In the
animation above each window has a button on each corner. The button listens
for dragging messages. Upon receiving such a message a callback method is
called which is set up by the window including the button.

Don't know yet if this first version is a cool one, but it works pretty well.

There is another method I thought about. The message handler could be
specialized just for the (resize-) buttons in taking any window. Upon
dragging such a button a specialized dragging method would be called referring
the window in question while changing its size and position. This would
detach the buttons from a specific window which may come in handy while
building an editor where when you want for example change the size and
position of a button without the button even knowing about said buttons.

It's a hell lot of work but it comes together step by step. Well, I may add
some horizontal and vertical resizing elements up next and then a new element
altogether.

s8LbDpg.gif

1OdzBLR.gif

cFSESIY.gif

Looking slick, voted! I do agree with DarkSiegmeyer though, the camera movement is really erratic.

s8LbDpg.gif

1OdzBLR.gif

cFSESIY.gif

Totally forgot the Blood Alloy dev was a Gaffer, been following your progress in the Reddit Screenshot Saturday threads. Game is looking great, really like the new animations

popyea

s8LbDpg.gif

1OdzBLR.gif

cFSESIY.gif

Cool! Looks really good (barring the obvious camera issues in the trailer). I can see heaps of potential with the current mechanics, and in general seems like the type of game I would really enjoy. Looks like a similar sort of fun to Aces Wild (which I loved to death) with the high mobility and fast pace.

Ahoy-hoy! How is everyone?

I'm currently working on an iOS game with a small team and we are desperately searching for a new programmer to assist us with the current project.

We'd prefer someone in London (UK) but working remotely would be fine also.

Can anyone help us out!? Do you guys know anyone who may be interested? Please PM me if so!!
Here is an early screenshot! Thanks!

Yooksin-TheDangerousKitchen.png

missile

I'm currently working on an iOS game with a small team and we are desperately searching for a new programmer to assist us with the current project.

Can anyone help us out!? Do you guys know anyone who may be interested? Please PM me if so!!

Yooksin-TheDangerousKitchen.png
The guy on the raft, you former programmer floating away? What happened to
him/her, if you don't mind me asking?

The guy on the raft, you former programmer floating away? What happened to
him/her, if you don't mind me asking?

I have to say, you lifted my team's code-less spirits with your comment!

Anyway, no, that isn't our programmer. The black shadow is, after his brutal murder. The guy floating away? That's us, drifting away nonchalantly. Away from any law enforcing entities.

In all seriousness, he left us for another.

Metal-Geo

Just out of curiosity, may I ask what the required programming skills are?

Although I'm an iOS developer myself, I'm not applicable for the job - believe me. Just curious. :)

bumpkin

Color me curious... Sent you a PM.

I didn't want to wait until screenshot saturday. Here is GunWorld's Torpeagle Rifle.

cqXs2uH.gif

It's an extremely powerful weapon, but has a serious set of drawbacks that prevent it from being the go-to gun. The delay between the time you fire and the time damage occurs is pretty significant, meaning moving targets need to be trailed. Not only that, but both the explosion and fireworks are harmful to the player, so using the Torpeagle Rifle in close quarters can quickly make a level run go south.

It is hilarious to use though, and can destroy some armored enemies that other guns can not.

Metal-Geo

Thanks much!!

It's a fairly simple 2D iOS game with some procedural elements and we're using Unity at the moment...
Ah, very cool. Whenever I hear about iOS game development my mind quickly jumps to OpenGL and SpriteKit. But Unity makes much more sense.

I wish you and your team the best of luck! The style of your game looks fantastic!

Ah, very cool. Whenever I hear about iOS game development my mind quickly jumps to OpenGL and SpriteKit. But Unity makes much more sense.

I wish you and your team the best of luck! The style of your game looks fantastic!

Thank you so much, it's really encouraging to hear that. Hopefully we'll be able to get it out soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom