• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys do #screenshotsaturday here? This is an underground level area
BwVRyktCAAAMxN9.jpg

*sorry guys...posted the wrong pic... this is is a lot less finished. The background is WIP

Didn't you post that exact image a week ago?

EDIT: Seems so.

oh wow I'm special... no I didn't realize I put the wrong link -__- I'm working on another underground part right now atm changing it now o.o

EDIT: Thanks...I"ll post the "finished" one if I can get it done tonight :eek:

Here's the Screenshot Saturday thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=853735
Eager to see more of your work

Thank you, though I was supposed to post another "underground level area *changed and a lot less finished :( Probably finish it tonight . But thanks, I'll check out that thread

Xtra Mile

Neo Member
thank you -- I used fraps for my actual videos, and to capture short clips as animated gifs or gfycats I use gifcam.

Ah nice. Gifcam will come in handy. With fraps, did you capture the window or full screen? I don't know if it's a quirk of my video card, but every time I play something lower res than 1080p and go full screen, it still stretches it. I guess I could try lowering desktop resolution to the be the same as the game and capture it full screen that way.

Jobbs

Banned
Ah nice. Gifcam will come in handy. With fraps, did you capture the window or full screen? I don't know if it's a quirk of my video card, but every time I play something lower res than 1080p and go full screen, it still stretches it. I guess I could try lowering desktop resolution to the be the same as the game and capture it full screen that way.

the latest video I captured full screen, the previous video I captured in a window. Capturing in the full screen resulted in a 1080p video, the other video was the res of the window. my game is 1600x900 natively.

Cool man. Are you going to zoom the camera in from time to time? Seems like a waste if you don't. Really cool :D

not sure yet, depends on if I figure out a good way to do it. but certainly it won't be as big on screen as that art I showed.

Xtra Mile

Neo Member
the latest video I captured full screen, the previous video I captured in a window. Capturing in the full screen resulted in a 1080p video, the other video was the res of the window. my game is 1600x900 natively.

not sure yet, depends on if I figure out a good way to do it. but certainly it won't be as big on screen as that art I showed.

I see, good to know. Cheers.

Heh, zoom in on the last enemy being killed in an area with slow motion? Could be cool, but might be a lot of work.

Jobbs

Banned
I see, good to know. Cheers.

Heh, zoom in on the last enemy being killed in an area with slow motion? Could be cool, but might be a lot of work.

well definitely not this. taking people away from gameplay for superfluous cutscenes runs against everything I personally believe in. XD it's a major pet peeve of mine. (not that it's necessarily bad, it just runs againts what *I* like. for instance, in bethesda games, the slow motion cutscene death of the last enemy drove me nuts and couldn't be disabled fast enough)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
put him [previously mentioned enemy] in game context, trying some other color schemes.

http://gfycat.com/BraveCooperativeDotterel

the basic blue seemed to blend a bit too much and in a weird way look a bit much like the player, so I changed him into this more red heavy setup. never mind the kamikaze rift squids..

Looks amazing. That enemy really fits into your environment well.

My only gripe though, the screen shake is jarring. Maybe lower the scale of it?

Jobbs

Banned
This is a character I haven't talked about publicly so far, but it's one of the most important characters in the game. When you play, you'll be seeing a lot of her. Her name is Gili.

gilisk.png

She represents some of the biggest design and creative challenges in the game from my end, and in a sweeping way -- animating, writing, programming, casting. It's a test.

Jobbs

Banned
That looks great!

I am not sure you ever talked about this, but are there other environments than the greenish caves in Ghost Song?

Thank. :) And yea. Fungal region, surface regions, some man made interiors like labs and a buried ship.. Stuff like that. Also, of course, the bug tunnels. There's a pretty good variety of environments in the game now, but more to come, over time, as I add more and later shift my focus to that aspect of the game.

That said, while everything isn't always green, there is a lot of green in the game, because the game has something of a color motif. Lots of stuff is blue/green/purple. Obviously it's not a strict rule, as we see other colors too. It's just an overall thing.

greeeeeen

JulianImp

well definitely not this. taking people away from gameplay for superfluous cutscenes runs against everything I personally believe in. XD it's a major pet peeve of mine. (not that it's necessarily bad, it just runs againts what *I* like. for instance, in bethesda games, the slow motion cutscene death of the last enemy drove me nuts and couldn't be disabled fast enough)

I know it might be yet another random suggestion, but how about you have the player keep an in-game log of all enemies met where they can watch zoomed-in versions of the characters? I also think that the graphics look way too good to only allow players to see them all shrunken-down.

Xtra Mile

Neo Member

Haha, no worries. Random thought that came into my mind at the time. It's definitely hard to strike a balance with these kinds of things.

Blizzard

Banned
I know it might be yet another random suggestion, but how about you have the player keep an in-game log of all enemies met where they can watch zoomed-in versions of the characters? I also think that the graphics look way too good to only allow players to see them all shrunken-down.
That sounds cool, Metroid style (the scanner or whatever in one of the Metroid Primes).

GulAtiCa

Spent good part of today working on my 1st game again (ZaciSa's Last Stand on Wii U). This time adding a new map inspired by another Wii U game, PING 1.5+. My first little crossover with another indie of having a map based upon their game.

That white sphere actually bounces around and even bounces off enemies and damages them a little.

Eventually I plan to get around to fixing some framerate issues (in general with the game). There are times where framerate actually drops to like 10/s later on with a lot of things going on. haha

Afrocious

I feel like I'm extremely late to a party....

The fact there's 313 pages in this thread is amazing. I hadn't seen it before. I just asked if GAF could/would ever come together and make a game, and this is a sight to behold.

I guess this post would be a bump. My original intention was to ask if anyone needed an extra programmer/developer with a background in Unity and Game Maker. However, you folks have so many great-looking projects I can't help but hold my tongue, and take the time to look at what's being made and where progress is currently.

This thread has a lot going on with so much variety, I think I can find something that speaks out to me.

Five

Banned
Before I make a big mistake, just how illegal is it if all the statues decorating the castle in my game are characters I've appropriated from franchises I don't own and redrawn to be quasi-recognizable? A few I made already:

INAL-Statues.png

Eddie Riggs from Brütal Legend, Ratchet from Ratchet & Clank, and Manny Calavera from Grim Fandango

I know sometimes games get away with making references to others all the time during different circumstances. Sometimes it's internal like the Mario references in a couple Zelda games. Sometimes it's companies that are friendly to each other, like Naughty Dog and Insomniac's Jak and Daxter and Ratchet & Clank making references to each other. Guacamelee makes reference to a couple dozen memes, some of which are video game call-outs. Then you have games like Bit Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien and Super Meat Boy which outright feature playable characters from other games in them.

Does anyone have some insight on when a reference is okay and not? Is this a case where I should be asking each of the property owners for permission?

---
On a completely different note, I wanted to take a moment to brag on my new friend Sadsic. He posted earlier in the thread about making some music, and I'm happy to say he's done an awesome job. So this is one of the tunes I'll be using in my game:

White Paint - Sadsic

Noogy

I feel like I'm extremely late to a party....

The fact there's 313 pages in this thread is amazing. I hadn't seen it before. I just asked if GAF could/would ever come together and make a game, and this is a sight to behold.

Welcome to the thread :) This is easily my favorite place on GAF. There's developers of all types, and people occasionally team up or offer services. Definitely pour through these posts to see if anything sticks.

And just because I think it's sorta cool seeing fictional characters holding real-world items, here's an illustration of Fidget I drew for the PS Blog:

14850982489_994744f5e8.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
Welcome to the thread :) This is easily my favorite place on GAF. There's developers of all types, and people occasionally team up or offer services. Definitely pour through these posts to see if anything sticks.

And just because I think it's sorta cool seeing fictional characters holding real-world items, here's an illustration of Fidget I drew for the PS Blog:

nice to see noogy posting some artwork here. I'll do it too.

fidgsk.png

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

I love the tongue-out-concentration.

nice to see noogy posting some artwork here. I'll do it too.

fidgsk.png

This makes me think of Sif from Dark Souls. Like edit: Fidget was a pal of Sif's "Why did you kill my wolf friend mister?" *sniff*

Ito

Amazing work in this thread, as usual.

Love the red look, Jobbs!

bEvfNFQ.gif

Puzzle Complete!

Ohhh I was wondering why the scarf moved like that, then I noticed in one of your previous posts that the wind is moving it (you even drew the "wind direction lines" a la Wind Waker, I love it). Looking great :)

Do you like gifs, GAF?

Idle animation
GorgeousEqualKentrosaurus.gif

Walk animation
BlondCloudyAtlasmoth.gif

Run animation
MammothAthleticHamadryad.gif

Jump animation
PhonyMetallicArgali.gif

Climb animation
JoyfulNegativeGermanshepherd.gif

Wall-jump animation (WIP)
WelloffInfiniteGartersnake.gif

Two attacks (out of 6 you'll be able to perform from the very beginning)
SoftDenseCleanerwrasse.gif

Don't mind the background tho, I'm still working on that level and I need to add more layers, put in the shadows & light effects, etc.

Here's waiting for your gifs to *leak* too, indie gaf.

Jobbs

Banned
Do you like gifs, GAF?

I do!

The animations are very interesting to look at, because so much is going on. I can relate to the process here and how much time and work must have gone into these motions. If I had to make any criticisms it'd be to bend her joints more, especially her knees, when she walks and runs. I love the band thingy that trails behind her.

Backgrounds are also terrific.

Rubikant

Two attacks (out of 6 you'll be able to perform from the very beginning)
SoftDenseCleanerwrasse.gif

I love all the other animation, but something is bothering me with these attacks. They seem over-animated with too many frames in the follow-through, making them appear weak and slow.

I'd suggest letting the mind's eye do more of the work for you. You already have some great swoosh effects to help sell the motion, you don't need to have the motion actually animated out.

Put more of your frames on the wind-up and on the recovery of each attack, but make the actual follow-through quick and snappy. This will help the attacks to feel more powerful with more force behind them, like she really means business and isn't just swinging a weapon around to look flashy. You can still have the animation be the same length as it is now by reducing the follow-through frames and increasing the frames on the wind-up and recovery frames (if the timing is for combat balance reasons).

Overall though the art looks fantastic!

Jobbs

Banned
We all scarf down here. Next up people will be asking for scarves to be added to my robots. D:

my prototype that was ultimately a predecessor to ghost song, long ago, featured a character with a big friggin scarf. I don't know what it is, but it's an easy trap to fall into when you first start making games. you just want that scarf to fly around. I traded it in for a pancho/cape thingy.

Xtra Mile

Neo Member
Notice the red one

gyj4Yxa.jpg

Looks good. Something constructive I can say is that the animation look great, but the idle animation and this image with the standing characters look a bit unnatural. They're very rigid and stiff looking. Some of the joints need to be bent as Jobbs mentioned. The arms and legs especially.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't know how long the sale is for, but Dimension Pro is $15 right now and I just picked it up yesterday: http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2cus/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=10-CWDM1.50-30E

I'm not affiliated with Cakewalk and I've not done much with it, but this synth and the instruments seem pretty neat so far. It has a TON of instruments in a ton of categories, and some of them sound pretty realistic.

Presumably you need Sonar X3 to make proper use of it (which I think it also on sale in its various forms). I copied Dimension Pro into the Steam Sonar X3 directory and it seemed to work fine after a manual registration step.

MetaWaddleDoo

Neo Member
Thought I'd post some character artwork for Astral Gunners, since we just designed a new character, and I haven't shared the artwork for the other characters yet.

XxXf104.jpg

aDolmhl.jpg

E0HTQLO.jpg

It's been awhile since my last post, but here's the gameplay trailer for anyone that missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22HIQMsfrrA

Hopefully we can get a demo out here relatively soon. Immediately started making improvements to the game after the feedback from here and other places we've shared this.

Moosichu

So I want to learn how to use GameMaker (I got Studio for free during that giveaway). Where should I start?

Start by going through some of the pre-built tutorials. I am still very much learning how ot use it. Also try and learn gml, the built-in language reference is really useful.

Edit: anyone have any good resources to help learn how to shade in GameMaker?

Zakalwe

Banned
I'd like to gain some expense writing for games.

If anyone requires a writer for their project (large or small projects, it doesn't matter) send me a PM and I can show you examples of my work, etc... and we can discuss it.

Not looking for paid work, just the experience and practise of writing for the medium.

Pehesse

Before I make a big mistake, just how illegal is it if all the statues decorating the castle in my game are characters I've appropriated from franchises I don't own and redrawn to be quasi-recognizable? A few I made already:

INAL-Statues.png

Eddie Riggs from Brütal Legend, Ratchet from Ratchet & Clank, and Manny Calavera from Grim Fandango

I know sometimes games get away with making references to others all the time during different circumstances. Sometimes it's internal like the Mario references in a couple Zelda games. Sometimes it's companies that are friendly to each other, like Naughty Dog and Insomniac's Jak and Daxter and Ratchet & Clank making references to each other. Guacamelee makes reference to a couple dozen memes, some of which are video game call-outs. Then you have games like Bit Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien and Super Meat Boy which outright feature playable characters from other games in them.

Does anyone have some insight on when a reference is okay and not? Is this a case where I should be asking each of the property owners for permission?

---

Giving more visibility to this question, as it's something I'd very much like to know as well! I would have thought passing references/nods such as yours would be okay, but it's better to be sure... I intend to slip some reference characters in the audience to some fights, similar to what you do here, but if it proves to be a legal problem, I'll have to reconsider it as well. (I can even ask right here: would anyone here want a character from their work featured in that way, as a general question, and in the case of my idea of appearing in an audience in Honey?)
Though to be honest, seeing how removed yours are, I think they can safely be considered as reference and still work for people with a keen eye... though I hadn't even recognized Manny, even though I'm a big Grim Fandango fan. (now that I know, though, I can see him all right, so no problem here)

And in other news, I'm getting back to the fighting stuff now, so I'll have more 2D animation to show as well, hopefully soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom