• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Finished my Ludum Dare 30 game juuuuuust barely. Sound and title screen were made in the last half hour and it's obvious, endings were also tossed together in the hour before that, which is also obvious! But I'm pretty proud of it, regardless.

Line Crossing

27179-shot0.png

yurinka

Late '80s beat'em up-like. From time to time appear the guy in black, who kidnapped some kids (you have to save them like in Shinobi) and runs randomly through the screen.

You have to kick him quickly before he leaves the screen (like the elves in Golden Axe).

Bv5-4n0IEAAwHLR.png:large

Late '80s beat'em up-like. From time to time appear the guy in black, who kidnapped some kids (you have to save them like in Shinobi) and runs randomly through the screen.

You have to kick him quickly before he leaves the screen (like the elves in Golden Axe).

yes, YES

Jobbs

Banned
Finished my Ludum Dare 30 game juuuuuust barely. Sound and title screen were made in the last half hour and it's obvious, endings were also tossed together in the hour before that, which is also obvious! But I'm pretty proud of it, regardless.

Line Crossing

27179-shot0.png

this is really cool, and impressive for a LD game. love the art.

Blizzard

Banned

Line Crossing

27179-shot0.png
Your pixel art looks awesome! I'll rate/comment tonight. If you'd like to try my game, it's here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=12278 It's really simple and silly, and I feel kind of bad when I make negative/suggestion comments, since people are leaving such nice comments on my own entry.

It's crazy you did your game in only 9 hours. What program(s) did you use for the art?

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I see a lot of people posting about their Ludum Dare entries and I'm kind of disapointed. I hadn't even known about it or I'd of tried to throw something together. I'm extremely new to the "scene" and just self teaching myself how to code and create art, so there's a lot of things I haven't caught onto yet. Where can a noob such as myself find out about interesting challenges like this?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
this is really cool, and impressive for a LD game. love the art.

Thank you!

Your pixel art looks awesome! I'll rate/comment tonight. If you'd like to try my game, it's here: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=12278 It's really simple and silly, and I feel kind of bad when I make negative/suggestion comments, since people are leaving such nice comments on my own entry.

It's crazy you did your game in only 9 hours. What program(s) did you use for the art?

Oh! I hope a lot of people didn't misunderstand that. I just meant that with there being a power outage I couldn't work for 9 hours since everything was turned off! I ended up having to cut a few things because of it, sadly.

I'll check out your game too!

I see a lot of people posting about their Ludum Dare entries and I'm kind of disapointed. I hadn't even known about it or I'd of tried to throw something together. I'm extremely new to the "scene" and just self teaching myself how to code and create art, so there's a lot of things I haven't caught onto yet. Where can a noob such as myself find out about interesting challenges like this?

I got curious and found this place: http://compohub.net/ which has a jam schedule. But there are even more smaller ones going on all the time (just search around for "game jam"). And Ludum Dare often has mini jams you can participate in if you want!

Blizzard

Banned
Ludum Dare happens 3 times a year, and there's a Global Game Jam that happens once a year in the spring. Sometimes people post about game jams in this thread, so just follow the thread. :p I think I posted the voting themes every day before this latest Ludum Dare started, for instance.

Oh! I hope a lot of people didn't misunderstand that. I just meant that with there being a power outage I couldn't work for 9 hours since everything was turned off! I ended up having to cut a few things because of it, sadly.

I'll check out your game too!
Awesome! I'm also curious what program(s) you used for art. Someone else said they used used GraphicGale and I think PyxelArt.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Awesome! I'm also curious what program(s) you used for art. Someone else said they used used GraphicGale and I think PyxelArt.

Oh, this time I just used Photoshop! I've been meaning to check out GraphicsGale, but it's so easy to go with my old standby.

Welp, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would be offended by the fact it looks like a catholic monk.

Vrolik

Oh, I also have my first Ludum Dare game, "The Song of the Dodo"
5X3kxi8.jpg

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-30/?action=preview&uid=40468

The year is 1507 on the small island of Mauritius.

You play a flock of docile dodo birds as they go about their business as they've done for millennia.

But Portuguese sailors have recently arrived on the island, and have brought strange new animals with them. How long can you survive their onslaught?

W,A,S,D to control, with Space for jump.

derFeef

Looking fantastic! I would make the protagonist stand out a little more, at least on the screenshot he or she is melting with the background a bit too much imo.

You know, I'm trying to plan out a first-person adventure/horror game with sci-fi elements, with my engine being Unity, and I'm actually surprised by the potential logistics of potentially needing to set up a team to work on it, mainly due to the asset store stuff. Granted, I'll probably not be buying any of that stuff anytime soon, since I'm more or less completely broke, though there are some really cool stuff in there, including ProBuilder and Relief Terrain Pack. I'll probably get a Kickstarter going, but only after I've got a proper demo prepared and most if not all of the game world at least blocked out, so it is essentially playable from start to finish for the most part.

Basic concept: You're an investigative reporter visiting an island run by a cult, lead by a seemingly friendly leader who is actually more tyrannical than he lets on, and the cult is preparing for a Jonestown-esque mass suicide to facilitate a mass brain upload to a collective consciousness. In order to stop this, the player needs to work with an undercover Interpol agent, talk to the robotic 'servants' of the cult leader, who are programmed to turn psychotic and hunt down and kill anyone who leaves the dormitories at night. Unfortunately, you need to actually leave the dorms and search the island's facilities for evidence and other tools to prevent the mass suicide, and in order to stop the servants from coming after you, not only do you need to help them with their mental issues, you have to incapacitate them at night to hack them and remove the malicious programming.

At the least, though, I'll need to recruit an artist/modeller/animator to do pretty much everything concerning the visuals (and maybe another programmer to reduce the individual workload, I'm not the best programmer, really), though right now I'm more concerned with trying to get the basic mechanics up and running first, and fleshing out the narrative. We'll see, I guess. I would like to find help sooner rather than later, though.

oxrock

You know, I'm trying to plan out a first-person adventure/horror game with sci-fi elements, with my engine being Unity, and I'm actually surprised by the potential logistics of potentially needing to set up a team to work on it, mainly due to the asset store stuff. Granted, I'll probably not be buying any of that stuff anytime soon, since I'm more or less completely broke, though there are some really cool stuff in there, including ProBuilder and Relief Terrain Pack. I'll probably get a Kickstarter going, but only after I've got a proper demo prepared and most if not all of the game world at least blocked out, so it is essentially playable from start to finish for the most part.

Basic concept: You're an investigative reporter visiting an island run by a cult, lead by a seemingly friendly leader who is actually more tyrannical than he lets on, and the cult is preparing for a Jonestown-esque mass suicide to facilitate a mass brain upload to a collective consciousness. In order to stop this, the player needs to work with an undercover Interpol agent, talk to the robotic 'servants' of the cult leader, who are programmed to turn psychotic and hunt down and kill anyone who leaves the dormitories at night. Unfortunately, you need to actually leave the dorms and search the island's facilities for evidence and other tools to prevent the mass suicide, and in order to stop the servants from coming after you, not only do you need to help them with their mental issues, you have to incapacitate them at night to hack them and remove the malicious programming.

At the least, though, I'll need to recruit an artist/modeller/animator to do pretty much everything concerning the visuals (and maybe another programmer to reduce the individual workload, I'm not the best programmer, really), though right now I'm more concerned with trying to get the basic mechanics up and running first, and fleshing out the narrative. We'll see, I guess. I would like to find help sooner rather than later, though.

There seriously needs to be more bored artists around willing to handle the art for our games! (For free of course, who has money?)

Blizzard

Banned
Speaking of scary enemies, I will have to find one of the Ludum Dare games I played last night. It was a fairly ordinary sidescroller with decent pixel art and red-tinted Virtual Boy styling.

Then halfway through you run across this monster that is weirdly scary, like something out of Pan's Labyrinth. I commented about it and found someone else saying the same monster was terrifying...and then I talked to the developer and they were like "it used to be worse, it gave my girlfriend a panic attack and she had to help me tone it down"...

anthn

Love this!

Dascu

I'd help because I like the concept, but I'm busy with my own horror game right now. Best of luck though! By the way, watched The Sacrament lately?

oxrock

And now it's more than just a mockup :)

P3Mnl5g.gif

I really love the aesthetics of this game, especially your cloud's vacuum animation. Not sure if I'm on board with the newly introduced lightning mechanic yet, but it looks great so keep it up!

razu

Going away for a week always ends up with a backlog of rad stuff in this thread! :D

Love all of these...!

2N3wgAz.png

My pixel artist fucking rocks

Hi Indie GAF,

Here is my entry. No More Probes is a project I have been working on for almost a in my spare time for almost a year and I am so close to a public alpha.

The game can be best describes as a Survival with RTS elements. It has a huge random factor as well. There is a quick day-night cycle and enemies behavior sometimes change depending on it. Collect stuff from junk piles - research new gadgets and fight back.

You play as a little crazy homeless war veteran who happens to be humanity last stand against the robot ( reptile people ) invaders from space.

Stuff_Preview_27.gif

If you want to check some more of the game please visit www.nomoreprobes.com or you can follow me on twitter @atomoso

One last thing. I will be more than happy to read what you guys think about the game so far.

oxrock

Been playing around with the "super saiyan" mode

EmbellishedInsecureGull.gif

Dora the explorer goes Super Saiyan, I love it!

On my front, I've been working on art/animations today and not making the headway that I wish I was. Everything takes 10x longer than the estimations I make in my head. Anyway, posting a couple animated gifs to help keep myself motivated!

This enemy I've been working on is a Berserker/Ogre. He's roughly twice the size of my hero. This one is his forward facing walking animation:
xWVslMa.gif

And here's his forward facing attack:
QxDp9kZ.gif

Slowly, very very slowly, my game "Champion Summons" is coming along. This is my first real attempt at anything beyond a prototype and man is it a lot of work for a single person! I hope to post some more game footage for everyone soon!

Noogy

Congrats!

Is this your Unity project you were working on?

No, sadly I've had to put that on slight hold while I work on the port. I'm having Dust:AET ported by Sickhead Games. XNA > Mono.PS4.

I'm dying to get back to my Unity game though. Might even try to announce it later this year, since it's a smaller scale title.

desu

No, sadly I've had to put that on slight hold while I work on the port. I'm having Dust:AET ported by Sickhead Games. XNA > Mono.PS4.

I'm dying to get back to my Unity game though. Might even try to announce it later this year, since it's a smaller scale title.

Ah alright. I was just wondering how you got your game running on PS4 since I assumed it was built on XNA, so I assumed you might have been porting it to Unity ^^.

Either way very great to hear, hope you'll be able to get it on Vita too :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom