• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popstar

That link works fine for me. About as you describe. But the previous page (50ppp) is still messing up. For example, if I click on the backtrace to your quote of me, it starts on my post and then jumps to this part of the page and stays there:
Yeah, it does the same for me. Excellent. Now I have a test case, thanks. :p

EDIT: Yeah, something to do with image scaling. Previews starting too small. Then page gets shifted when video comes in.

xnNY7vK.png

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'm doing a 2D game, but yes. I always liked the way gibs seemed to work in fallout 3, so I emulated that model for my 2d game.

basically when the enemy dies, I hide the main sprite and spawn a series of separate objects for body parts all in roughly the right place to form the figure. These gibs are somewhat generic body parts not always specific to the enemy type, but they are made to look a bit generic and since they move fast in practice they work fine.

in this example you can see how the gibs look when they spawn but have no forces applied to them: http://gfycat.com/CapitalArcticCrownofthornsstarfish

and now to finish off I apply some forces to the body parts when they spawn: http://gfycat.com/JointGlitteringGroundbeetle

it's a little goofy, sure, but I find it satisfying.

I'm been crazy busy with class, so I just saw this.
Thank you, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Giblets are going to be everywhere.
giphy.gif

Popstar

Should it still say build 0.2 in the extensions panel? It doesn't seem to act any differently. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the extension twice now.
No, it should say 0.2.1. Try downloading it again. You might have been too quick for GitHub.

...or I may have checked it into the wrong folder.

Ito

I've mostly finished an idle animation for the wormlike race, Khaodra. I tried capturing a gif but because of a fog/cloud layers it dithered terribly and I'm too lazy to try and cap a better one... so a link to the video for those that want to see the end result:

http://gravityride.com/?p=533

still cap:
Khaodra.jpg

Ewww disgusting... which means, excellent work! Animating those fluids coming out of its mouth would be much of a problem? Because that would add a lot to the animation!

On a side note, I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but Battle Chef Brigade has now a Kickstarter campaign . I remember seeing their work posted here not too long ago.

Honestly that game is gorgeous, the animations and backgrounds made me want to rage-quit gamedev...

7bd49e208f170f201800643ed172d8c4_large.gif

I'll back them with the strength of a thousand suns.

friken

Ewww disgusting... which means, excellent work! Animating those fluids coming out of its mouth would be much of a problem? Because that would add a lot to the animation!

great feedback thx, I think it did add a lot. I also changed up the fog a w a color shift and two layers. Anyone know how to sync some capture prog w a unity looped animation? It would be nice if the gif would loop right.

JampackedGloriousEft.gif

Ashodin

The trailer's finished, and I love love love it.

I'm writing the PR for tomorrow, going to have my fiancee proofread then we're GO TIME

Wow, this thread is pretty inspiring. It's been so long since I actually did any programming but it's when I see the stuff you guys are pulling off that I want to get back into it. It's always been a dream of mine to make a game, I just need to think of something simple to start with.

ludde.andersson

Neo Member
Hi!
Just got my new hoverbot from my modeller Leonard. It contains a new tool adapter to be able to combine effects. It also contains an energycell and landing gears.

hoverbot.jpg

hoverbot_under.jpg

hoverbot_energycell.jpg

So next week my team and I will be releasing a web based demo of our Smash-Bros-celebratory-prototype-game-thing-of-glory!

More details next week.

Here's a gif-
GAMEPLAYGIFNUMBER1.gif

Popstar

it installs but it auto disables it after awhile and won't let me reenable it.

Do you have Developer Mode checked?

EDIT: Just checked and I was able to duplicate your problem with Chrome running on Windows. Extension survived closing and re-opening Chrome but not restarting Windows. Chrome disabled it.

Looks like this is nothing specific to do with NeoGFY but just the way Chrome behaves on Windows. There's work-arounds, but it might just be best for Windows peoples to wait for me to figure out how to get stuff onto the Chrome web store.

Man, Unity is...awesome! It's been two or three years since I did any real programming and it was in Java. But Unity is just what I need. C# is close enough to what I'm used to and the tutorials on the Unity site were perfect! Just the level I needed to jog my memory in programming and help me get used to the engine. All I did was follow the Roll-A-Ball tutorial and finish that. It's such an insignificant thing, but I'm really getting the bug again for programming and stuff. This is so cool!

friken

Man, Unity is...awesome! It's been two or three years since I did any real programming and it was in Java. But Unity is just what I need. C# is close enough to what I'm used to and the tutorials on the Unity site were perfect! Just the level I needed to jog my memory in programming and help me get used to the engine. All I did was follow the Roll-A-Ball tutorial and finish that. It's such an insignificant thing, but I'm really getting the bug again for programming and stuff. This is so cool!

Welcome to Unity bliss :)

While I'm pretty well married to Unity, we are at odds at the moment.

<minor rant follows>
I just found a nasty bug that was reported in 2011 and still a problem. Create an animation, go rename an object that is animated and it is no longer animated. Look at the animation window and it didn't get renamed :(

Sadly I didn't notice the bug until I'd renamed 30+ bone joints in an animation from auto-gen names like "unibone_9586498" to something useful like "Tentacle_Bone1/2/3/..." and then moved on to many other tasks. So no undo for me... :(

I just found a nasty bug that was reported in 2011 and still a problem. Create an animation, go rename an object that is animated and it is no longer animated. Look at the animation window and it didn't get renamed :(

Sadly I didn't notice the bug until I'd renamed 30+ bone joints in an animation from auto-gen names like "unibone_9586498" to something useful like "Tentacle_Bone1/2/3/..." and then moved on to many other tasks. So no undo for me... :(

This is precisely why I have local version control. SourceTree works really well for local git, and it was free last time I checked.

I would strongly recommend setting up a local repository if you haven't already. Being able to roll back changes and testing commits for a bug that you noticed far too late is just one of the many benefits.

It, uh, won't help you now, though (sorry about that...) but it should prevent things like this happening in the future.

Feep

Banned
I use SourceTree as well. (GitHub).

Well, I use a freakish amalgamation of GitHub and Dropbox, since GitHub won't let me commit my now-at-28-GB project folder. = P

Electroflame, Noogy, and anyone else interested in Visual Studio Tools for Unity... Version 1.9.1 came out this week, and it fixes some of the issues with the watch list that I was talking about last month, so that's cool. It seems to work fine with most simple cases now, and should make debugging much easier. Unfortunately it still doesn't work with generic method calls (same as with MonoDevelop), and there are sometimes problems with method calls using a string parameter (CompareTag() doesn't work, but GameObject.Find() does, for some reason), but apparently those are due to issues on the Unity side, so they'll need to wait for Unity to fix that stuff before it can work in VSTU.

Still, overall a definite improvement.

I use SourceTree as well. (GitHub).

Well, I use a freakish amalgamation of GitHub and Dropbox, since GitHub won't let me commit my now-at-28-GB project folder. = P
I'm not to the point where I need Git hosting, so I just use local repositories on my machine. I'm kind of surprised how well SourceTree handles the giant files I commit (since I don't separate out code and content, as I'm lazy. :p). The general workflow, or so I've heard, is to use GitHub for code and small assets, and Dropbox for larger files (models, sounds, etc.) but that seems like quite a bit of hassle to keep things in sync.

Electroflame, Noogy, and anyone else interested in Visual Studio Tools for Unity... Version 1.9.1 came out this week, and it fixes some of the issues with the watch list that I was talking about last month, so that's cool. It seems to work fine with most simple cases now, and should make debugging much easier. Unfortunately it still doesn't work with generic method calls (same as with MonoDevelop), and there are sometimes problems with method calls using a string parameter (CompareTag() doesn't work, but GameObject.Find() does, for some reason), but apparently those are due to issues on the Unity side, so they'll need to wait for Unity to fix that stuff before it can work in VSTU.

Still, overall a definite improvement.

That's for the heads-up! VSTU was having problems with the Unity 4.6 beta that were supposedly getting fixed in 1.9.1 (as of, like, a month ago) so I kind of gave up checking up on it. Good to know that it's out now. Thanks!

So here's a kind of cool Unity feature that I didn't know it had.

Search by Type. Seems simple enough, but if you actually search for something like "MeshCollider" it'll gray-out/deemphasize any object that doesn't have a Mesh Collider attached (which was great for me, when I went and optimized a lot of my colliders -- I thought that tracking down all the default mesh colliders would be a pain, but it wasn't!).

It's the little things. Now, I do wish that I didn't have to go and swap most of my colliders, but stupid Mesh Colliders don't actually have volume (unlike primitive colliders) so, yeah. Can't do any accurate checks for if you're inside a mesh collider (unless it's convex, I believe, but that kind of defeats the point of concave colliders).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom