• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info!

As others have said, what determines the success of a thread there seems to be pretty hard to pinpoint, but I'd still say to keep at it, if for no one else's sake than your own - organizing your thoughts and presenting them can be useful from a design standpoint, too, as you get a clearer viewpoint of what's done, what's to do, and how to do it!

Well I agree with that but the thing is, I already post content in a lot of places so I have no issues putting it together at all, other than my own fear of putting out content that isn't "just right" but that;s a whole other beast entirely.

Mainly the issue I have with posting in lots of places is the formatting of it. Even if you have the same content and you literally wanted to copy/paste it in all the outlets, it's annoying that every forum, every platform, and every site, has some slightly different BB code-like stuff you need to use to post your content.

Here's an example:

-Steam page: special Steam only format
- Reddit: special reddit only format
- IndieDB - special
- TIGSource - special forum markup
- Unity Forums - special forum markup

I think the only content I can reliably ever just *post* without major revision for each place I post is something like a twitter post with a one liner that would also go to facebook.

Honestly I'd be tempted to code up a solution for this problem if I had more time. As it stands, I already work my full time job during the day and I'm a full time indie at night too. I have simply reached the limit of how much work one person can do in a day :-/

If only I could do away with sleep...

Burt

IndieDB's forum markup really is the worst thing on the Internet. You literally need to css in margins if you don't want your post to look like a kindergartener writing to the very edge of the paper.

Edit: I haven't actually spelled out the word "kindergarten" in ages, and while I was doing it I had this strange thought that it doesn't even look like a word that belongs in the English language, like it's German or something. So, I go to look up the etymology, and it actually comes directly from German and means "children's garden"

ik49VlPshlPIz.gif

This is definitely one of those things where I'm probably the last person on the knowledge train, isn't it?

I'm in a nice townhome in Burbank, noob! I have three roommates but they're all lovely.

Ah yes, so you live in a $2k+ home and save money by having roommates. That's an important distinction!

Does anyone know of any good places to get sprite sheets/tile sets? I don't have an artist for my project currently and I want some place holder stuff.

Hey thanks! I'm really trying to see how hard I can push the game without getting huge FPS drops.

well as long as you aren't targeting mobile lol. it should be fine. but if you really want to. animate the background. and add a day/night cycle to change difficulty because everyone loves that in a game.

Ashodin

well as long as you aren't targeting mobile lol. it should be fine. but if you really want to. animate the background. and add a day/night cycle to change difficulty because everyone loves that in a game.

lol well. I have already stretched myself out on the budget for the rest of the game, so I'm just making it all work within my limits now!

Texture compression just bit me in the ass: trying to extract a color from a texture and as a test I did 6 circles with the red value being exactly 1 above the previous (<1,0,0> <2,0,0>...) and half of them would return the same color until I changed the format to Truecolor.

Glad I caught that early before I tore my hair out.

Finally getting a hang of unity though. Slowly but surely.

Texture compression just bit me in the ass: trying to extract a color from a texture and as a test I did 6 circles with the red value being exactly 1 above the previous (<1,0,0> <2,0,0>...) and half of them would return the same color until I changed the format to Truecolor.

Glad I caught that early before I tore my hair out.

Finally getting a hang of unity though. Slowly but surely.
Using the power of 2 for all textures? Unity has issues if textures aren't scaled properly before import. I had the same issue when I started. You will get a warning message in the inspector pane for your texture if it isn't a power of 2 and can't compress properly. Just watch for the warning and it will let you know if it can't compress properly.

Using the power of 2 for all textures? Unity has issues if textures aren't scaled properly before import. I had the same issue when I started. You will get a warning message in the inspector pane for your texture if it isn't a power of 2 and can't compress properly. Just watch for the warning and it will let you know if it can't compress properly.

It's not necessarily a compression issue with actually compressing the texture, unity does that just fine. It doesn't throw any errors. It's the compressed picture that causes issues. Here is what I mean:

LsC7u7F.jpg

These are all different shades of red, technically <r,g,b>
<1,0,0><2,0,0><3,0,0><4,0,0><5,0,0><6,0,0>

so clicking on each area should produce 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

However under compression here are the values I get when I click on each circle, left to right

ipWaPRa.jpg

This is what I get when I use the uncompressed version.

ahhzhSl.jpg

Seems to be a lossy compression to me, not that it would be an issue 99.9% of the time.

SeanNoonan

Woah. I've used Construct2 a little in the past, but I thought it was quite restricted. The game looks amazing.
It's as flexible as you can make it... here's some things I've made in it (I do generally go for a more pixelly(?) style though:

cybergunner2.gif

noonangun_1_3.gif

25406-shot4.png

skin_2.gif

laddergym.gif

retirement_lobby.gif

One of these days I might even finish one of these damn games ;D

jackbnimble_dealwithit.gif

Burt

Yeah, nowadays pretty much whenever I see a 2D game I ask myself if it could get made in Construct 2, and the answer is almost always a 'yes'. Not that I could do it personally, but it's generally pretty easy to draw out a rough sketch of the C2 pieces you would need to snap together.

Nice stuff, btw. I like "retirement lobby" a lot, and not just because what the name implies is twistedly hilarious.

I had a mini-epiphany about something that's so important and so easy to do that I should've thought of forever ago and it won't let me go to sleep :(

Pehesse

Another crosspost out of the Screenshot saturday thread - and yes, this is yet another 2D game made with Construct!

SkeletalPerfumedHornshark.gif

SentimentalEnergeticAmericanriverotter.gif

Kind of a tribute to continue screens of 2D fighters, this actually allows you to escape a match you've failed and keep going through the calendar to hopefully power up some more and come back with a vengeance later down the line. Or if you think you can beat the match right now, you can always take the loss and reload!

This was a very long week for me, lots to do and wanted to gather some more ideas, got too much I think...but only implemented a small portion of it, not quite sure when am I going to finish at this rate but making a game better and better excites me a lot, wish sometimes i stop doing that so I can finally release my game :)

Wheneven a ship is attacked there is a possibility that a breach can happen, oxygen in the modules affected will be lost and with that the crew located in those rooms. Two big holes are shown in this screenshot while I am inspecting the damage on my ship.

HullBreach2.png

Woah. I've used Construct2 a little in the past, but I thought it was quite restricted. The game looks amazing.

Construct2 and GameMaker are pretty powerful if you know how to use them. It's down to preference really. They both can do anything in 2D for the most part

It's not necessarily a compression issue with actually compressing the texture, unity does that just fine. It doesn't throw any errors. It's the compressed picture that causes issues. Here is what I mean:

LsC7u7F.jpg

These are all different shades of red, technically <r,g,b>
<1,0,0><2,0,0><3,0,0><4,0,0><5,0,0><6,0,0>

so clicking on each area should produce 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

However under compression here are the values I get when I click on each circle, left to right

ipWaPRa.jpg

This is what I get when I use the uncompressed version.

ahhzhSl.jpg

Seems to be a lossy compression to me, not that it would be an issue 99.9% of the time.
Ahhhhh I understand now. You mentioned getting comfy with Unity and one of the things that got me was power of 2 textures haha. I see what you mean. I usually don't set any of the texture/sprite work up anymore so I'm not 100% on that end of Unity.

Another crosspost out of the Screenshot saturday thread - and yes, this is yet another 2D game made with Construct!

SkeletalPerfumedHornshark.gif

SentimentalEnergeticAmericanriverotter.gif

Kind of a tribute to continue screens of 2D fighters, this actually allows you to escape a match you've failed and keep going through the calendar to hopefully power up some more and come back with a vengeance later down the line. Or if you think you can beat the match right now, you can always take the loss and reload!
Your work is stunning, Pehesse. Everything is looking sublime!

I finally have my game Last Knight fully released on Steam and I made low poly stylized intro for it which I now also use as the release trailer:
3zgfvxm.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoBhmJC8iQE
Here it is on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/262210

Congrats! That was a really well put together trailer, did you make that? What software did you use? Would have been nice to see a few shots of gameplay in there, but I get that launch trailers are meant to be a bit more splashy.

Might as well share my game that I've been working on for over 2+ years, Shutter. It's like a old-school fixed camera horror game, and you control this little drone, doing surveillance/security work in this old cabin. You look for visual/audio cues, and take photos of ghosts, and upload them to your "boss". As you progress, the boss will unlock more rooms of the house, and you'll get camera upgrades along the way, like nightvision.

It's going to be a very short game, probably under an hour, so I' still debating if I should even bother with a save system. I'm in crunch mode right now, getting ready to submit to IGF...anyone else in IGF crunch mode?

Shutter%20-%201.7.6%20Screenshot2_Small.png

Shutter%20-%201.7.6%20Screenshot3_Small.png

Shutter%20-%201.7.6Screenshot6_Small.png

Pehesse

Your work is stunning, Pehesse. Everything is looking sublime!

Thanks a lot :-D I'm just glad you guys like how it's turning out.
Here's a preview/first draft/WIP thing of the next character:

tumblr_inline_ncxk4vU5Gx1rfzuuq.png

The longest and hardest part is always to determine the general movement style for the character... feels like I'm starting back from square one each time, but I should hopefully pick up some speed after a couple :-D

Jobbs

Banned
Thanks a lot :-D I'm just glad you guys like how it's turning out.
Here's a preview/first draft/WIP thing of the next character:

tumblr_inline_ncxk4vU5Gx1rfzuuq.png

The longest and hardest part is always to determine the general movement style for the character... feels like I'm starting back from square one each time, but I should hopefully pick up some speed after a couple :-D

ncie work -- how many characters you planning on having? christ this sounds like a tough project for one person. so many frames.

do the characters have different fighting styles and martial arts and stuff? does anything go?

Ahh, right. Deadline's in two weeks, right? I need to get something ready too by then.

Yeah, Oct. 22 is deadline. I'll just be happy to submit something polished, need to avoid that urge to add more content in the midnight hour, only to have everything break. Also, need to spend some time on a clean main menu screen, and a "demo ends here" screen.

Pehesse

ncie work -- how many characters you planning on having? christ this sounds like a tough project for one person. so many frames.

do the characters have different fighting styles and martial arts and stuff? does anything go?

Many thanks :-D
The base plan is to have 3 main opponents, and ways to have Honey herself as an opponent while playing any of the others. There's also two other special characters you can fight on the ring, but they're not as fully developped as both are matches under special conditions. And then, there are the random goons you can fight outside the ring, but those have only one or two movement and a couple more animations... So all in all, about 10-ish characters, with only 4 of them having a full range of moves and animations.

As far as their fighting styles, it's a bit of everything :-D I didn't want to stick too close to anything real, so I do stuff that's more related to the characters personalities, than to actual fighting styles.

Jobbs

Banned
As far as their fighting styles, it's a bit of everything :-D I didn't want to stick too close to anything real, so I do stuff that's more related to the characters personalities, than to actual fighting styles.

How about whatever style this is?

giphy.gif

Davision

Neo Member
Congrats! That was a really well put together trailer, did you make that? What software did you use? Would have been nice to see a few shots of gameplay in there, but I get that launch trailers are meant to be a bit more splashy.
Thanks!
It is in made in 3Ds max with a bit of post fx in combustion and cut in Vegas. Originally I planned to use just some bits of the intro for the launch trailer but then I run out of time so I just used the intro as the trailer.

_machine

Crossposting from the sadly a bit inactive Screenshot Saturday Thread:

Ancestory:
ancestoryshot3_7206hrul.jpg

Do you agree that our font looks way too much like Comic Sans and doesn't really reflect the rest of the style that well? We still have a few 'yes' votes for the font even though the majority agrees that it doesn't work as well as feedback being against the font, but I'd love to hear your thoughts as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom