• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korten

Banned
Korten, nice start so far. Maybe introduce more dirt or grit to the dungeon? Especially floors, maybe add more elements and props to really sell the atnosphere.

For the main dungeon, I might reccomend darkening the area a bit to add a sense of tension that the enemies may not provide in a first dungeon.

I added this: (Should see that it is also darker)

aSfb.png

Which I made from this:

bSfb.png

cbox

And in a few weeks he'll be down at GCAP (a dev conference here in aus) talking about our approach to balancing unique characters & game content, which ha been by far our biggest challenge as we got deeper in to the game. If you ever decide to do something like this think really hard about how much time and effort it's going to take, then triple that figure.

Now we move on to level select, unlockable bonuses, and the final boss!

Very very cool! We're now near the end of our development and have begun really balancing the game out. It really helped getting all the data we did from our beta, I love looking at our metrics to see how many people used different weapons.

Is anyone here submitting their game to IGF? We're going to! And it's nerve wracking and also incredibly exciting. I really hope shwip is received well from all angles.

I added this: (Should see that it is also darker)

aSfb.png

Which I made from this:

bSfb.png

Nice! I'd also even suggest darkening the area not lit by flames as your dungeon is pretty well lit :p

Korten

Banned
Nice! I'd also even suggest darkening the area not lit by flames as your dungeon is pretty well lit :p

JTfb.png

Here ya go.

Now if it's not lit by the torch, it's basically in complete darkness.

Edit:

Also I ran through my first floor of the dungeon... Yikes I noticed balance issues right away. Healing for the healer cost only like 4 or 6 MP and could heal up to 250 health or more. Really OP for level 4 when enemies are only doing typically 60's and such and everyone has a lot of health. (Which means I will increase enemy damage output as well.)
Magic also is getting mana nerf. I picked Spellblade for my class for the main character (can be selected by player) and his spell, Wind only cost 6 mana. It did over 300 damage to enemies that only had 400 health.

I changed it now to reduce the damage of some spells and increased their mana. Now Magic isn't low cost- high damage anymore. Still good damage though.

I have made a thread about it, but I wanted to share it in this thread as well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=913256&highlight=

C4 Website
C4 Engine Version 4.0 Released
October 14, 2014

C4 Engine version 4.0 is now available to all licensed users. This is easily the largest and most important release ever made in the history of the C4 Engine, and it includes many major performance improvements, new features, and usability enhancements. The details can be found in the release notes, but here are the highlights:

• The built-in physics system has received a complete overhaul and is now considerably faster as well as more accurate. In particular, the constraint solver is multithreaded and takes advantage of all available cores for maximum performance.

• Some new internal scene organization structures have been added to the engine, and they provide a huge reduction in CPU processing time for very large and highly dynamic worlds.

• The PlayStation 4 rendering code has been completely rewritten at a level much closer to the metal and is now significantly faster.

• Major changes have been made to the lighting and shadowing systems in the engine, and these provide big performance increases in addition to higher-quality rendering.

• Several changes have been made to the World Editor in order to provide more functionality and better usability.

With the release of version 4.0, we have also consolidated the different types of licenses that previously existed into a single low-cost license that applies to everybody. The C4 Engine can now be licensed for a mere $88.00 per user, and this includes a full year of free upgrades.

Licensing Information

The following is a list of important facts about the C4 Engine license.

The price is $88.00 (USD) per user.
The full source code for the engine, tools, and demo game is included.
The engine runs under Windows XP/Vista/7/8, Mac OS X 10.9+, and Linux.
Project files are included for Visual Studio 2013 (Windows) and Xcode 4 (Mac). Makefiles are included for Linux.
You receive all updates for one year at no additional cost. If you do not renew after one year, then you can still use the latest version you have forever.
You can sell any number of games for any price, and you won't owe any royalties.
You have access to private licensed user forums.
You cannot receive $100,000 or more in external funding (like publisher funding or a Kickstarter campaign). If you do have such external funding, then you need to purchase a studio license.

I have a copy of it. I would personally say it has a cleaner / tidier code base than UE4. This is just a heads up for all the programmers / indies that are interested. This isn't meant to start a fight / flame war against different engines (I personally mess around with both), so if that is your intention don't even bother. This is merely just to spread the news.

All in all, it is a good time to be an Indie Dev.

And for those that are not familiar, you can download a free demo that lets you play around with some demo levels and mess with the in-game editor.

Engine made by this guy:

http://www.terathon.com/lengyel/
Eric Lengyel, Ph.D.
Founder, President, and Chief Technology Officer
Terathon Software LLC

Eric Lengyel (pronounced LENG · el, with no Y) is the founder of Terathon Software and the creator of the C4 Engine. He holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of California, Davis, and a Masters Degree in Mathematics from Virginia Tech.

Eric is the best-selling author of the book Mathematics for 3D Game Programming & Computer Graphics (Charles River Media, 2002), and he is the editor for the Game Engine Gems series. Eric has also been a long-time member of the editorial board for the Journal of Computer Graphics Techniques, and he has been a major contributor to the successful Game Programming Gems series.

Eric previously worked in the advanced technology group at Naughty Dog and is now credited on several PlayStation 3 titles based on technology that he developed there. Long ago (in programmer years) he was the lead programmer for the fifth installment of Sierra Studio's popular RPG adventure series Quest for Glory. Eric has also worked in the graphics and imaging department at Apple. When he's not engaged in multiplayer deathmatch, Eric can usually be found running somewhere in the mountains of northern California.

friken

aghh! sweet! can you make any gifs of them rotating?

I worked on the Lipoc ship today so felt like grabbing a gif. It has the refined art and new propulsion system.

BasicBeautifulHadrosaurus.gif

gif is a big choppy, video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJF-h4qrDms&feature=youtu.be

Next thing I'll be adding is the damage system so there are fires, venting air, people getting sucked out, damage decals left behind etc. I REALLY look forward to hooking up the fruit-ninja-like object slicing so I can have a laser ship cut an enemy in half and watch the two parts float apart :)

friken

aghh! sweet! can you make any gifs of them rotating?

I worked on the Lipoc ship today so felt like grabbing a gif. It has the refined art and new propulsion system.

Next thing I'll be adding is the damage system so there are fires, venting air, people getting sucked out, damage decals left behind etc. I REALLY look forward to hooking up the fruit-ninja-like object slicing so I can have a laser ship cut an enemy in half and watch the two parts float apart :)

edit: oh, also pretty excited to get the controller support feeling really good. Now controller is my favorite of three input options (mouse+kb, kb only, controller). I haven't written the Lipoc AI yet so the video was two player two controllers. I plan on having 4 player same-screen support for console peer/peer for pc.

Jobbs

Banned

looks very impressive -- are these still 2d art? because they really look 3 dimensional now.

Ashodin

The lighting really seals the deal, and good god I love that UI in the upper right. The only thing I wish was the portraits moved.

friken

looks very impressive -- are these still 2d art? because they really look 3 dimensional now.

The ships, yes. sun and planets will remain 3d. Sun is a mix of particle system2d and 3d core.

Ashodin said:
The lighting really seals the deal, and good god I love that UI in the upper right.

:) thx... now I need to get back to slicing up the ui elements and getting it functional. It has been lower on priority list for some reason. I guess just having it pasted on top felt good enough to go get some more actual gameplay done. I have massive procrastination on ui stuff.

hmm somehow my previous edit duped the post. I don't have option to delete the post if an admin is looking.

Here is some new pictures from Scaupa

scaupa_asteroid_1.jpg

very pretty... what is the project? blog/info?

ok... finally some hard work paid off. All the time I spent making a flexible engine propulsion system allowed me to make some pretty cool engines for the Lipoc and now the Salrith. Now I REALLY can't wait to get the damage system in there and watch the salrith ship punch through the middle of a ship and split it in half. Gif (note pushing enemy through the sun was a bit tongue and cheek... there will only be one race in the game that can stardive and it will be epic :)

CloseSoftChanticleer.gif

full video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80_AUrt4U5c&feature=youtu.be

Jobbs

Banned
ok... finally some hard work paid off. All the time I spent making a flexible engine propulsion system allowed me to make some pretty cool engines for the Lipoc and now the Salrith. Now I REALLY can't wait to get the damage system in there and watch the salrith ship punch through the middle of a ship and split it in half. Gif (note pushing enemy through the sun was a bit tongue and cheek... there will only be one race in the game that can stardive and it will be epic :)

CloseSoftChanticleer.gif

full video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80_AUrt4U5c&feature=youtu.be

This is seriously impressive stuff. I long for a day when I can just sit back and draw spaceships.

Burt

REALITY SHIFT.

During the Magi fight, he will change the entire layout on you.

Niiice. I'm looking to implement some stuff like that later on.

UI feedback, anyone?

The art is all placeholder, nothing's lined up, etc., and so on and so forth, but is the actual layout okay? Big buttons up top are categories, text below changes depending on which is selected. Not sure if I'm breaking any cardinal rules of user interface or anything by not having a straight up menu. Plus, I just threw in the hearts on a whim, and I'm not sure if they overcrowd the units' boxes or not/fit aesthetically. Might end up going with bars instead.

ludde.andersson

Neo Member
very pretty... what is the project? blog/info?

Thank you :)
Your game is looking very nice too.

There are some info on www.scaupa.net. It will be updated but I think it's enough to get the overall picture. The game is about building scenes and filling them with adventures or simple gameplay, it's like a modified editor without all the technical stuff. I'm alone in the project and the engine is my own. I will try my luck at Kickstarter soon, I know it's very difficult to succeed in there but at least I have to try it.

kingPenguin

Neo Member
mT5lWIm.gif

REALITY SHIFT.

Like the way that guy looks! Really cool. The red text is a little hard on the eyes though :)

UI feedback, anyone?

It's hard to say how well it works without playing it, but one thing I'd do is make the golden/yellow border stand out a bit less. They claim a lot of attention at the moment. Maybe something like this (and maybe just have a golden border around your current selection?).

ibHYQ40.png

Got the call from Nintendo! Wii U here I come!

Congratulations!

Pehesse

mT5lWIm.gif

REALITY SHIFT.

Lots of amazing stuff on this page! I especially love Friken's rotating and drilling (!) ships and the latest Psyscrolr stuff. Not sure about the font/red color for the enemy text, but it still works for me.

It's hard to say how well it works without playing it, but one thing I'd do is make the golden/yellow border stand out a bit less. They claim a lot of attention at the moment. Maybe something like this (and maybe just have a golden border around your current selection?).

ibHYQ40.png

Without really knowing what needs to be conveyed I can only speak of aesthetics, and I agree with KingPinguin's suggestion of turning the borders white!

JTfb.png

Now if it's not lit by the torch, it's basically in complete darkness.

I like the simple and efficient layout of the dungeon (though I don't know what happens on those special even tiles in corridors so I can't tell if they're supposed to be traps or plot events or whatnot), but I'm not a fan of complete darkness. I can't tell from your screenshot if the dim texturing on the wall keeps going all the way between lamps or if it turns completely dark eventually, and I assume on a monitor with lower brightness this could get lost even faster - the following assumes it does, otherwise, disregard it :-D

I'd either use very dim lighting that still allows for passageway/floor legibility, or put enough lamps close together so the main path has enough light and you can always see the next source of light on your screen, to differentiate paths from the "void" top zone where nothing is.
That's unless you really want to use that complete darkness to put secret corridors or stuff like that, but I still would advise against it as it would get old pretty quick to check every tile of darkened wall to see if a passage is there, IMHO. All in all: the only game I found complete darkness to work correctly recently has been Alien, and that's because you have many ways to light it yourself, and it adds to the tension, so it has a purpose and is a mechanic in itself. If you don't wish for the player to use that darkness in any meaningful way, then by all means, play with contrast, but don't impede legibility completely. Just my two cents though!

As for me, as usual lately, crossposting from the SS thread:

SlimyOffensiveChafer.gif

Still animating, and on saturday's putting those animations in to see if everything works as it should. So far, it does! Though for now I've turned off her AI while I test, it was getting grating to wait for her to do stuff so I could tune it, and record it :-D

I ran into some scenarios in my game where my crew didn't have guns to counter attack enemies, so why not then start punching enemies and try to survive one more day?

Sometimes you may not have enough guns or not at all but turning your crew into a mob and start punching enemies around may save the day, though don't try to punch heavily armored enemies, you will lose for sure.

Pinata.gif

Here is a bigger image.
PinataParty.png

Well this time I forgot to set a limit and my crew kept hitting dead enemies, but you can get the idea ;-)

Pehesse

@Pehesee i assume the dialog bubble isn't going to be hiding behind the ring? ;P

considering it's the ref talking in th ebackground (correct me if I'm wrong), I'm okay with it being behind the ring.

Yep, it's the ref's bubble, so it's hiding behind the ring by design ! :-D

I tried in front at one point, but it interferes with the action and it's not what I wanted to convey anyway. The point of the bubble is not to be at the forefront and read at all times, but only if the situation allows it. It's as much of a graphical dynamism presence than an actual dialog line to be read - even if you can't read what's in it, seeing the bubble popping off in the background is having the effect already.

Or, in context: it's kind of drowning the "sound" it makes in the general "noise" of battle, if you will, except with graphics only :-D

(I tried speech bubbles for the fighters, too, but that went way overboard and added nothing useful to the action, so that's off as well!)

Yep, it's the ref's bubble, so it's hiding behind the ring by design ! :-D

I tried in front at one point, but it interferes with the action and it's not what I wanted to convey anyway. The point of the bubble is not to be at the forefront and read at all times, but only if the situation allows it. It's as much of a graphical dynamism presence than an actual dialog line to be read - even if you can't read what's in it, seeing the bubble popping off in the background is having the effect already.

Yeah, I like it being a background element.
I assume you could easily fix it (if you wanted to) being behind the corner post (I have no idea what the correct term for that is, but I bet it has one) just by not letting the ref run the entire length of the background, but constrain him to stopping at the edge of the mat too and help sell the parallax / perspective (matching his movement to the furthest line oft he mat not the nearest that the camera moves along)

Pehesse

Yeah, I like it being a background element.
I assume you could easily fix it (if you wanted to) being behind the corner post (I have no idea what the correct term for that is, but I bet it has one) just by not letting the ref run the entire length of the background, but constrain him to stopping at the edge of the mat too and help sell the parallax / perspective (matching his movement to the furthest line oft he mat not the nearest that the camera moves along)

That's absolutely true, and definitely something I overlooked! Thanks for pointing it out :-D

EDIT: ...and constrained! It was a simple fix, too :-D

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Out of curiosity, how many of you use or avoid singleton use? I've been in the void camp and just decided to say screw it and start using one to ease the need for all the GameObject.Find caching. I know the debate can be rather heated in singletons being spawn of the devil and such. Not looking to start the debate, just curious how many of you use them.

Where I've worked, the singleton pattern is discouraged but not avoided completely. In order to make sure that the singleton's worked in a multi-threaded environment there was much care taken to ensure one of two things: Either the singleton was accessed in only a single thread (ie. putting an assert in the GetInstance function making sure the thread id matched the expected thread), or making sure the singleton pointed to something that was thread safe.

One thing that could have been a singleton, but wasn't was our GameManager. Instead we passed the game manager by reference nearly everywhere in the game code. Using the game manager, programmers could get practically all of the functions/data they would need. A benefit of passing the game manager around was ensuring constness. We could pass a const game manager around to ensure const correctness at compile time instead of having to assert proper usage at runtime.

friken

Where I've worked, the singleton pattern is discouraged but not avoided completely. In order to make sure that the singleton's worked in a multi-threaded environment there was much care taken to ensure one of two things: Either the singleton was accessed in only a single thread (ie. putting an assert in the GetInstance function making sure the thread id matched the expected thread), or making sure the singleton pointed to something that was thread safe.

One thing that could have been a singleton, but wasn't was our GameManager. Instead we passed the game manager by reference nearly everywhere in the game code. Using the game manager, programmers could get practically all of the functions/data they would need. A benefit of passing the game manager around was ensuring constness. We could pass a const game manager around to ensure const correctness at compile time instead of having to assert proper usage at runtime.

Reply to everyone's comments about singletons (sorry I got behind on some of the replies).

Thanks for all the info, especially the longer responses discussing how you use them. I've avoided them completely until now but as my project has grown I'm become tired of a lot of repeat setup code on scripts that all need to cache GameObject.Finds and all the crosstalk between smallish scripts. In an effort to cleanup the project before it grows too much further, I've decided to make GameManager and SceneManagers singletons. It will cut down a ton on duplicate setup code and gameobject.find caching. I'll also be changing a lot of crosstalk to delegate/events. I have to admit I've been rather sloppy w the project to date as I develop by making tech demo scenes of all the modules that I'm not sure how I'm going to go about doing then sort out the game backend later. Well later is here so it's time I get serious about clean design patterns so I'm not building a house of cards.

Gameboy415

factoryfin.gif

Our kickstarter is now live for our game Red Cobra! Kickstarter is now live! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/37551334/red-cobra

Backed!! :)

My development team, Anvil Drop, is launching a Kickstarter for our first game, Anomaly 1729, on Monday and I was finally able to source a few screenshots from the current build of our game to share with everyone:

B-PR-5_1115x627.png

-This first shot shows our main character, Ano, in a Puzzle Room near a rotation cube that allows the player to rotate the room on a specific axis and serves as a central game play mechanic in our game.

C-PR_1115x627.png

-This is another Puzzle Room that combines various elements such as the rotation cubes and our magnet/repulsion panels that either attract or repel Ano (depending on their color).

C-RP-2_1115x627.png

-Here is an example of Ano standing on a magnet panel attached to a wall in one of our puzzle passages.

I'm also happy to be able to share a music track from one of our Puzzle Rooms that was created by our incredibly talented composer, Chris Bezold (he does amazing work!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExDogEBdTjI&feature=youtu.be&a

Our Kickstarter will be going live on Monday but in the meantime, here are a few links for anyone interested in more info:

Steam Greenlight Concept page:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=325486864

Anvil Drop dev team site:
http://anvildrop.com/

Anomaly 1729 game page:
http://anomaly1729.com/

Unfortunately the videos on those pages are from a very early build with placeholder character models and music, but they still give a general idea of some basic game play mechanics.
We should have some new videos/footage available once the Kickstarter launches on Monday.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions and I'll be sure to share our Kickstarter link as soon as it goes live. :)

Korten

Banned
Hey I'm back!

Here's my second floor of the dungeon, it's a bit more complicated than the
original floor since you can't just walk to Floor exit. You must solve a basic
puzzle to get to the end.

(I may add another chest and some more details to the level)

Explanation:

1. Green Panel opens Green Door, same with Blue Panel and Blue Door.
2. You must open the Green Door to be able to open the Blue Door.
3. After opening the Blue Door you can take Warp 1 to Warp 2 where
you then can go down to the final floor.

AXfb.png

Also I'm here with a question, what's peoples opinion on "filler" rooms. Basically rooms that have
nothing to do with solving the level. Merely there to extend the length of the dungeon.

Technically 2 rooms in Floor 2 could be considered filler, the top rooms that have nothing in them. Since they
could be removed and the first blue could be replaced with the single green door and not much would be lost...
However in my opinion, I feel if you don't have rooms with "nothing" than dungeons can seem just too linear or
simple if theres really only one path.

Thoughts on that?

Lastly

pKAE0rf.gif

The boos room! Unlike other future dungeons, floor 3 is merely the entrance to the boss
room. Currently in the room before the boss there is merely a save point. Now I have two
choices I can do here...

1. Add a portal to the entrance where players can heal.
2. Add a portal to the entrance, ONLY after the boss has been defeated.

I feel arguments could be made either way since you don't want to risk the player getting to the final floor in such poor form that they
will basically be forced to walk back through floor 1 and 2 just to get to the healer. (Note: The party at this point has a healer but not
infinite mana.)

Burt

ibHYQ40.png

Yeah, I see what you're saying with that. I'm not sure how I feel about breaking the consistency of the UI across all my dialog windows and icons, though. Maybe I can lower the saturation a bit on the border and raise it a bit for icons and things, see how that turns out.

This is giving me pretty major Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen vibes

I wouldn't know anything about that

image.php

But seriously, one of my main things with it right now is worrying that it's a bit too derivative of/overly referential to MOTB. Then again, the game was like 2 decades ago, so who knows. Thinking about individual coloring for the icons too, rather than having them all gold. I'll mess around a bit with that today, just worried it might end up looking like a big multicolored mess.

Jobbs

Banned
one of the things I'm pretty good at is making mechanical devices that fold and unfold and transform -- it's one of the few types of animation I actually enjoy.

like these:
DazzlingHighlevelDove.gif

this type of approach worked nicely with this beetle thing I was working on a bit ago. similar idea.

beetle-unfold.gif

skbbbbwalkb.gif

one of the things I'm pretty good at is making mechanical devices that fold and unfold and transform -- it's one of the few types of animation I actually enjoy.

like these:

this type of approach worked nicely with this beetle thing I was working on a bit ago. similar idea.

beetle-unfold.gif

skbbbbwalkb.gif

That looks great! how did you get the blur effect for the wings? : o

Jobbs

Banned
That looks great! how did you get the blur effect for the wings? : o

thank you :D

that's just the source photoshop file you're seeing play out there, so everything within it was done in photoshop. I often use directional blur filter in photoshop to make frames look the way I want them to.

ludde.andersson

Neo Member

like these:

beetle-unfold.gif

skbbbbwalkb.gif

Looking good!
Reminds me a little of Turrican

friken

Thank you so much! And your game is looking pretty cool so far :)

Thanks for the others that have pledged as well!

canyon.jpg

Here's a little pic of a free roaming section in our game Red Cobra

Also, we put it on steam greenlight if you guys want to help support it :)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=326841906

Looks great. Backed! Projects like this I really don't understand why backers are not stacking faster. It really does look great and fun. I'm a sucker for side scrolling action.

Burt

like these:

beetle-unfold.gif

skbbbbwalkb.gif

That all looks fantastic. Beetle flapping looks great.

I took some of the advice I got in here and elsewhere throughout the day with the UI and this is what I'm working with now:

hXJcRVy.png

Didn't lighten anything up, but I did shrink the border by a pixel (not including the added outline) and took away the metallic highlights. Added another pixel or two in height to the class icons to give them a bit better proportion, and an outline for them as well to help the contrast a bit. Still need to fix some border lines and colors and do some resizing of the interior box because it was pretty much a hack job, but I'm fairly happy with the results for now.

I discovered today that I can literally... literally... fight with myself about pixel outlines for hours and hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom