• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabec

Told you Jobbs, people would luv that animation. My favorite is the single frame when you can see thru the wings under the shell.

Pehesse

one of the things I'm pretty good at is making mechanical devices that fold and unfold and transform -- it's one of the few types of animation I actually enjoy.

like these:
DazzlingHighlevelDove.gif

this type of approach worked nicely with this beetle thing I was working on a bit ago. similar idea.

beetle-unfold.gif

skbbbbwalkb.gif

Wow!!

scaffa

Uploaded a new video yesterday which showcases another Horizon Danger stage in action. It's called Nexion and takes place on a planet riddled with bugs. Not completely satisfied with how it looks but think it's quite an improvement compared to the older version.

My plan is to implement stage events in the game and for example in this stage and whenever you see the three lights/eyes an event will happen and a large "tentacle" will swipe the stage. Think that will spice up things a bit in this stage :)

New

Old

Nexion Video

one of the things I'm pretty good at is making mechanical devices that fold and unfold and transform -- it's one of the few types of animation I actually enjoy.

like these:

I love complex object like this, how things are put together and work has always intrigued me so I guess that why I like that, and I suppose it also explains why I started making games in the first place!

This thread is fantastic, I think I may have found a new home on GAF!

Anyways, here's my project that I'm working on at the moment, been taking my time with this one, some slow development for about a year and a half so far. It's an Adobe AIR game developed in flash, and I was lucky enough to get some fantastic support and managed to get it greenlit on Steam earlier this year!

The game is called COLOR and it's a minimalist, ambient puzzle game (yeah I know very indie cliché!). You add, subtract and mix colours to match the goal. Its pretty hard to explain it, but it should click once played/seen. I've put some shots below, and if anyone wants to play the demo or anything then its available form the game's site: http://dualstudios.co.uk/color

This game has kinda been my passion project for a while now, and I'm currently in the process of re-writing a lot of the code to take advantage of stuff I've learnt during development (directly through development and at University). As a result it's taking some time but I hope to have it out Sept 2015.

y7XbaP.gif

screenshots.png

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more in this thread!

Hey guys,

I made this over a weekend a while ago. Never really posted it or got feedback on it:

chargeBall.jpg

Play it here:

http://www.warsoup.com/ChargeBall/ChargeBall.html

Controls are setup for Xbox 360 Controllers:

Analog Stick: Rotate Dial
A: Charge
LB / RB: Tilt Ball left / right

This is still an early prototype, but I wanted to know what people think so far, cause I played it again today and still think it's damn fun. I made a little Youtube Video to show how I play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGvGDzrIOuI&feature=youtu.be

Haven't got much done on this in the last month unfortunately. Hopefully I'll make some progress today after being inspired by the awesome stuff in this thread. Here's what I have so far. I apologize for the overly large gifs.

Space1.gif

RocksAndWater.gif

HappyTrails2.gif

HappyTrails1.gif

WorldPanorama.bmp

Looks great. Backed! Projects like this I really don't understand why backers are not stacking faster. It really does look great and fun. I'm a sucker for side scrolling action.

Thank you so much! Might just not be a good time : o We made a few mistakes such as getting to press late and the fact that we didn't show any "metrovania" parts(rushed too late). That's ok, we have some big plans ^ ^ Thank you for the support! :D

Love the wolf running, so fluid! Though I feel the camera movement might make some nauseous.

Yeah, I'll be keeping an eye on that. You're not the first person to make that comment in regards to that gif. I do think its partly the gifs fault though, as the constant looping in a figure 8 is accentuating it. Hopefully I'll get a better idea once more people have played it.

Ito

like these:

this type of approach worked nicely with this beetle thing I was working on a bit ago. similar idea.

beetle-unfold.gif

skbbbbwalkb.gif

63322bf6e355e19a0746313e7ab18387.gif

So let's say I'm making a connect 4 clone and I want the chip drop to look fluid and not choppy - do artists typically have frames of the animation "blurred" to imply motion? When I drop my chip in my sandbox environment at the speed of gravity it looks too choppy. I'm trying to overcome this.

What do you guys use to make gifs? Seems easier to share those than tons of five second youtube videos.

Also, fuck sound effects. THey are just...so boring and annoying.

Vark

So let's say I'm making a connect 4 clone and I want the chip drop to look fluid and not choppy - do artists typically have frames of the animation "blurred" to imply motion? When I drop my chip in my sandbox environment at the speed of gravity it looks too choppy. I'm trying to overcome this.

You probably need to update the rate at which you're polling the physics system. For simple 2d stuff I usually want the physics system running at twice the rate of the graphics update. You'll get finer motion on position updates.

Edit: this is also highly dependent on your engine btw. What're you using?

Five

Banned

Make sure it's running at a decent frame rate. 60 hertz or more is ideal. Add a curve to the motion so it doesn't simply slide down, but start slow and end faster. If it still looks choppy, which it shouldn't, you can add motion blur. The only time motion blur should be necessary is if something is moving ridiculously fast, like a powerful melee attack or the wings on that beetle Jobbs posted.

What do you guys use to make gifs? Seems easier to share those than tons of five second youtube videos.

GifCam is the most popular tool.

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. If not, I'm really sorry. please tell me where i can get answers for these.

I'm at early stages of my career and would like to try my hand in game development, as a programmer since i am very good at math and have decent programming knowledge. I dont have much programming background as i did my btech in mechanical engineering. I have been working in an IT firm for an year right after btech. I use SAS, have good knowledge about databases, SQL. I also have good knowledge in C++ and OOP but no work experience.

I'm trying to unity scripting from unity tutorials website. I would like to ask a few basic questions, please try to help.

1) I want to know if i need to know Algorithms to be able to make games? if so i will try to learn the algorithms course from coursera. and are there any other areas I need to get familiar with?

2) Would a MS in computer science help me? If so i am willing to do it.

3) Do you think its too late for me? Can you tell the best possible course of action i can take?

Thank you for reading. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Jobbs

Banned
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. If not, I'm really sorry. please tell me where i can get answers for these.

I'm at early stages of my career and would like to try my hand in game development, as a programmer since i am very good at math and have decent programming knowledge. I dont have much programming background as i did my btech in mechanical engineering. I have been working in an IT firm for an year right after btech. I use SAS, have good knowledge about databases, SQL. I also have good knowledge in C++ and OOP but no work experience.

I'm trying to unity scripting from unity tutorials website. I would like to ask a few basic questions, please try to help.

1) I want to know if i need to know Algorithms to be able to make games? if so i will try to learn the algorithms course from coursera. and are there any other areas I need to get familiar with?

2) Would a MS in computer science help me? If so i am willing to do it.

3) Do you think its too late for me? Can you tell the best possible course i can take?

Thank you for reading. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

you sound overqualified if anything. XD many people have gotten started with 1/100 of your knowledge. I'm not primarily a programmer but I believe C++ is a good thing to know, and if you're good at that you can probably do anything as far as games. C# is easier and that's what a lot of people focus on, especially being that's what you'd use in Unity.

you sound overqualified if anything. XD many people have gotten started with 1/100 of your knowledge. I'm not primarily a programmer but I believe C++ is a good thing to know, and if you're good at that you can probably do anything as far as games. C# is easier and that's what a lot of people focus on, especially being that's what you'd use in Unity.

Thanks :) Do i need to learn C# before trying to learn unity? or can i directly jump into the unity scripting tutorials?

Main hurdle i faced while im self learning some of the CS stuff is algorithms. I want to know if i need to use those extensively in game development.. If so i will try to spend couple of hours daily and try to learn them again. I somehow manage to get lot of free time in work and want to utilize it.

btw, your work looks amazing.. :)

This isn't a complete list, but the most I could find for now. I'll add more later

Edit: Added Ito, Lo_Fi, Pehesse, Show Me Your Skeleton
Edit: Added BlastProcessing, Burt, CMZinac, diddykong13, fin, F-Pina, JasoNsider, kingPenguin, studioMDHR
Edit: Added AusRoachman, Gameboy415, MauMau
Edit: Added EDarkness, Mr. Virus, pixelpai, Xtra Mile
Edit: Added anth, fuzzy_slippers, GulAtiCa, Mystic River, OldmanAndroid

Jobbs

Banned
Thanks :) Do i need to learn C# before trying to learn unity? or can i directly jump into the unity scripting tutorials?

Main hurdle i faced while im self learning some of the CS stuff is algorithms. I want to know if i need to use those extensively in game development.. If so i will try to spend couple of hours daily and try to learn them again. I somehow manage to get lot of free time in work and want to utilize it.

btw, your work looks amazing.. :)

thank you!

I'm going to try and not give specific programming advice since I'm underqualified to give it, except that C# is a vital skill and if you took C# tutorials and learned C# you'd never be wasting your time. Hopefully someone else will have more specific advice about your question on algorithms, but I think it highly depends on what type of game you want to make.

Many indie programmers are very scrappy and take a "okay, what do I need to know how to do to accomplish this next thing I want to accomplish" approach and learn what they need to know, as they go. Have a goal and break it down into smaller goals and figure out what you need to do next. One foot in front of the other.

OnPoint

This isn't a complete list, but the most I could find for now. I'll add more later

I've added myself :p

bsp

movie review simulator 2014

e8ba8291ed.gif

it looks like the popcorn is being thrown from the right side of the container, but I'm pretty sure that's just the projector casting shadows

Five

Banned
Thanks for compiling that, More_Badass. I'll add the people I'm not yet following when I get back from dinner. Is there a reason you've omitted yourself, or am I just blind?

Honestly, don't overthink it, just jump in and start with the tutorials.
The Unity scripting tutorials assume no prior programming knowledge, and - at worst - you will get an idea fairly quickly about what aspects of game development you do and do not enjoy, which is invaluable for planning the scope of whatever it is you want to make.

Feep

Banned
movie review simulator 2014

e8ba8291ed.gif

it looks like the popcorn is being thrown from the right side of the container, but I'm pretty sure that's just the projector casting shadows
Make this an Oculus enabled title, let us project our own movies, and BAM, insta-buy.

bsp

Make this an Oculus enabled title, let us project our own movies, and BAM, insta-buy.

it isn't actually a review simulator, but just a little theater you can find in our adventure game :)

there will be movies to collect, though, and oculus support is likely

RhysD85

Thanks for the list - Going to add all you dudes (if I'm not already following!) This thread is extremely inspirational every time I read it.

On my end, I just finished up the trailer and launched the Greenlight campaign for my game Fort Meow.

Any votes are appreciated, also feel free to DM me your projects if you are looking for any feedback or playtesting! I'm always down to help out.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329294425

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Well now you're just giving me ideas for free :)
Could be cool made with Unreal Engine 4 or even Unity.

Xtra Mile

Neo Member
Anyone experienced with Unity builds for Mac and Linux? Does it work well? Is it just a matter of making the build and testing on the system? I read it only works for the newer versions of Linux. Didn't find much info on Mac. I'm guessing it's quite compatible? Don't have a Mac to test unfortunately.

thank you!

I'm going to try and not give specific programming advice since I'm underqualified to give it, except that C# is a vital skill and if you took C# tutorials and learned C# you'd never be wasting your time. Hopefully someone else will have more specific advice about your question on algorithms, but I think it highly depends on what type of game you want to make.

Many indie programmers are very scrappy and take a "okay, what do I need to know how to do to accomplish this next thing I want to accomplish" approach and learn what they need to know, as they go. Have a goal and break it down into smaller goals and figure out what you need to do next. One foot in front of the other.

Honestly, don't overthink it, just jump in and start with the tutorials.
The Unity scripting tutorials assume no prior programming knowledge, and - at worst - you will get an idea fairly quickly about what aspects of game development you do and do not enjoy, which is invaluable for planning the scope of whatever it is you want to make.

Thank you!! I will just go thought the tutorials in the website.

Apart from scripting tutorials, any other unity tutorials I have to look into? Like user interface tuts etc..

Thank you!! I will just go thought the tutorials in the website.

Apart from scripting tutorials, any other unity tutorials I have to look into? Like user interface tuts etc..

Look for stuff as you need it, rather than overwhelming yourself by trying to know everything all at once if I were you. For example, if you are making an FPS you would need to know how to instantiate a projectile a lot sooner than you would need to know how to make a dynamically resizing based on text length ingame book interface, but if you were making an Amnesia type game the reverse would probably be true

Unity have literally just changed their UI system, so there are actually two entirely different - but both working and valid - ways of doing UIs at the moment; as you're not already used to one its probably more worthwhile learning the 'new' way than the old, as it appears to be a lot more flexible.

There is a lot of good stuff in this thread that I am looking forward to play, but this particular game might be the first that looks like really something new and innovative. Well done! Hope you will push through.

Thanks! I'm really proud of the concept, and so far it's coming out exactly as I imagined. Don't worry I'll keep going with it, a year and a half is too much time spent to just drop it :p

awesome! i shall get a-addin'. i'm not a developer per-say but i compose for indies n' whatnot:

show me your skeleton (Apexicon, psyscrolr) - https://twitter.com/minustheshark

Pehesse

Great list, thanks a lot! Quoted for added visibility. Though, uh, my secret is exposed: I don't have/use twitter... I guess now's as good a time as any to start, though? I'll check how the whole thing works and post when I have something to link to. Or otherwise, could links to other things work, like tumblr?

EDIT: well, okay, there is is. I've added myself to the list!

Ito

EDIT: well, okay, there is is. I've added myself to the list!

I searched you on Twitter a couple of times before and I was dissapointed that I couldn't find you there to follow you, so I'm really glad you are there now too!

And if it's OK, I'll be adding my twitter too (which I devote to Spirit Huntress almost exclusively: https://twitter.com/itoaragon)

Following all of you guys, so I better see some interesting stuff from now on >:)

A little late for screenshot saturday, so I'll do one better and post a video of the hero's hometown (sans villagers)

http://youtu.be/KJOI1CvGksQ

Oh man, this is cool. Make a gif and post it here for more visibility. Very nice pixel art.

kiguel182

Edit: Added Ito, Lo_Fi, Pehesse, Show Me Your Skeleton

Well, I need to see if I start adding all of those people soon then.

Also, I'll leave my twitter handle here too, even if I rarely update it (I'll start doing it more soon): https://twitter.com/fat_Bread

Paz

Anyone experienced with Unity builds for Mac and Linux? Does it work well? Is it just a matter of making the build and testing on the system? I read it only works for the newer versions of Linux. Didn't find much info on Mac. I'm guessing it's quite compatible? Don't have a Mac to test unfortunately.

In my experience Unity handles most o the work building between PC platforms but you will want to ensure some stuff like inputs work correctly, along with in some cases the way you set resolutions/cursor locking and even some graphical effects will look a bit different.

I would not suggest ever officially supporting a platform you can't test yourself because there are too many "gotcha's", but if you know someone with a mac or linux you should be able to sort out a working version pretty quick. And yeah most modern linux builds will be fine with Unity, though if you rely on shadows there is a known bug where Intel HD GPU's have shadows forcibly disabled by Unity on Linux (It's a performance thing from a few generations back that's unnecessary now, so hopefully goes away soon).

Edit cos I'm at the top of a new page here's the banner artwork we made for our PAX Aus showcase booth (Yay for free booth :p I'll remove this if it's too advertising-y but I'm really proud of how it turned out, we've been trying for a while to find the right style for our promo art)
1519330_721820987884160_2820849207544311613_o.jpg

Double edit - Oh one additional thing with Linux is I don't think Unity sets up the executable's properly by default (because you're building to windows and it sort of can't), Tim handles this step so I'm not 100% sure what the exact scenario is but look in to making sure the executable is set up properly if you're having trouble running a build on Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom