• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

_machine

Uploaded a version of my stylized low poly fantasy world of Last Knight on Sketchfab:
https://sketchfab.com/models/4629b972551c4faf89e6dead5f5fe705
It is realtime 3D inside your browser there.

(Not that low poly as a whole)
God I love that look, do you have any good guides for a pipeline like that or is it something you just came up with and never really documented? I've just recently started learning a bit of 3D modelling and would love to learn a bit about low-poly style like that.

tumm

Neo Member
What program are people using for making general sounds? Looking for something which'll let me create sounds for walking/running/jumping/picking up stuff/skills/doors/etc etc, maybe some light ambient stuff for background music too. Any recommendations and tips?

Bear in mind that for a majority of players, what they see on screen is almost entirely the entire 'value' of a game, and if you made a retail title entirely made of unity asset store assets, you would get absolutely crucified for doing so.

If you just want to outright buy assets, you'd be best off just finding an outsourcing company. Having said that, less visible assets are bought all the time, in every field of development right up to AAA.

Thanks, this pretty much coincides with my thoughts. I feel that stuff like environment packs like these, even though looking great, are really more of a showcase of what's possible, and the assets might be useful as a starting point for further modification, adapting it for your own project instead of just flat out using them out of the box.

Pretty much everything but models seems like fair game, really. Textures can be reused if used with custom assets so things don't look too "same-y".

Code is much easier to reuse without it looking like you bought it off the shelf. The only thing to be wary of is what I call the "Unreal" effect. If you take something off the shelf (say, Unreal Engine) and don't change things enough, you get a "same-y" feel, much like a lot of Unreal Engine 3 shooters this past gen that used a lot of stock engine stuff and generally came out looking similar.

Personally, I use editor extensions and code assets. Probuilder is one of them. I may use models and stuff for prototyping, but I would never ship a game (that I would expect someone to buy) with immediately visible stock stuff that anyone else can use in any other type of game.

My 2 cents: if the player has a fairly high chance of recognizing it, I wouldn't use it in a commercial product, personally.

Thank you, and I agree. But even with textures, I find it would need a bit more work to actually create new textures (by a different artist) that perfectly fit the art style of the purchased assets, especially if the art style is not photorealistic.

Five

Banned
What program are people using for making general sounds? Looking for something which'll let me create sounds for walking/running/jumping/picking up stuff/skills/doors/etc etc, maybe some light ambient stuff for background music too. Any recommendations and tips?

If you want bit-crushed, NES sounding effects, Bfxr is the go-to program. Much more sophisticated than that, though, you're going to have to do actual recordings and manipulate them in a full-fledged program like Audacity or Adobe Audition.

If you can't do your own foley, the best place to start is with sound libraries. There are lots of free ones on the internet. Then download what you think you'll need and cut/tweak them in one of the aforementioned programs.

Personally I do audio manipulation with Sound Forge and layering with (an older version of) Audition. Sound Forge is great, but Audition is kind of a mess. I haven't found anything better for layering, though, so Audition it is.

Thank you, and I agree. But even with textures, I find it would need a bit more work to actually create new textures (by a different artist) that perfectly fit the art style of the purchased assets, especially if the art style is not photorealistic.
True. A lot can be accomplished with shaders, though, if you're good with shaders and not texture creation.

"What program are people using for making general sounds? Looking for something which'll let me create sounds for walking/running/jumping/picking up stuff/skills/doors/etc etc, maybe some light ambient stuff for background music too. Any recommendations and tips?"

For non 8-bit sounds, I record my own with a field recorder and process/layer them in Reaper.

Jobbs

Banned
came up with all this glowing stuff. think it (the way I'm doing it) might be a bit graphics hungry, because while it runs okay generally, it slows down a lot more than other areas when I'm recording video from it.

whatever!

http://www.gfycat.com/SerpentineOrneryHornshark

another example: http://www.gfycat.com/HeavyViciousIrishwaterspaniel

It's VERY notable that while there is SOME gif degradation as you would expect, the color banding is not caused by the gif, it's caused by a color reduction shader. It makes lighting stuff (for me) all kinds of fun. Colors banding together just looks dynamic and cool to me for some reason -- Early on, with the initial prototype of the game, I recall liking how it looked in gifs, in some ways better than how it looked in real life -- because of the banding. Thanks to shaders, it's a reality now.

"What program are people using for making general sounds? Looking for something which'll let me create sounds for walking/running/jumping/picking up stuff/skills/doors/etc etc, maybe some light ambient stuff for background music too. Any recommendations and tips?"

For non 8-bit sounds, I record my own with a field recorder and process/layer them in Reaper.

This looks great.

Kritz

Banned
fuuuck I've been trying to programmer-artist myself a logo for my game. That shit's real hard to do. I'm guessing there's no shortcut to graphic design that doesn't involve paying someone.

Oh, and for interest's sake, here is perhaps the worst thing I've done today:
dOP2ovO.png

mspaint is a legitimate design tool :(

(and some other less notable bad decisions)

Davision

Neo Member
God I love that look, do you have any good guides for a pipeline like that or is it something you just came up with and never really documented? I've just recently started learning a bit of 3D modelling and would love to learn a bit about low-poly style like that.
Well, when you just started with 3D modeling low poly is what you should do. High Poly requires to start modeling low poly and then understanding of mesh flow and techniques to get the detail.
What is always good to start with in 3D modeling is just creating really basic buildings and then basic objects while avoiding anything organic.
For that environment I also used some high poly modeling which I then reduced back to low poly with automatic polygon reducing which results in nice uneven faces distribution. But that just for the organic stuff, terrain, trees etc. The buildings are just very basic modeling.

Reaper is pretty rad! I've been making all my music and Sound FX in it for years now.
https://soundcloud.com/axionmusic/2120-ad
The most recent track I've made :)

Also here's a new screenshot of an area I'm working on in Beacon!

Dascu

Anyone interested in testing a demo of Malebolgia? I'd like to gather some more feedback and impressions before I submit to IGF next week. The demo is approximately 2hrs long for a new player. I can distribute Steam keys.

PM me if intrigued.

Hey NeoGAF ^o°

I'm Claude Labonté and I work for q-bit games. Well I work for myself I guess :3

We're working with Sleepy Sheepy on a game called Holobunnies, for PC/Mac, Wii U, ...

holobunnies_logo_v01_small.png

Holobunnies is an exploration-based action game with JETPACKS! The Holobunnies live with their lovely creatures - the machetes - but somehow, these creatures managed to get their eyes stolen. The lovely Holobunnies Danielle the witch, Mephisto the ninja, Roméo the bard and Leenox the scavenger, must travel to the only place where someone or something this evil could be; The Pandemonium. They must retrieve the eyes and stop the eye-stealing madness! There are two main focuses in the game: action and exploration.

Action:
We're in love with plaformers but we have a special place for games that feel suited for speed running, that's why we've made this a goal in our game. We make it fun for speed runners to learn and execute speed run. Each characters have their unique abilities, like Danielle's life leech or Mephisto running speed, and they also have different weapons so you can find which you prefer to play with. We also include items that can change the way you play the game like the charged shots.

Exploration:
For people that prefer to explore and take their time, we also include a lot of exploration. There are a bunch of collectibles to change both how you play and how the Holobunnies look like. You'll unlock your own companion that will help you uncover invisible walls and breakable walls. With the Golden Carrots, you'll unlock different character customization options, like a mustache, rainbow colored jetpack fuel or special voice packs for your character.

holobunnies_sss.gif

We also include a multiplayer mode, that we demo-ed at an event last saturday. There are classical 4 players arena battles, catch the carrot mode, and we'll probably be making some other fun modes too :D

We're launching a Kickstarter October 25th and we're very nervous about it. We've been working on the game for the last 3 months, and I personally left my "day job" to work full time in q-bit games. It's a big move for me but so far it's been incredibly rewarding. If anyone needs any tips to do the same move - I'm sure there are countless good things to do but I can share my story if it can help :)

So yeah I'll make sure to post when we release the demo, trailer and campaign, so you can try/see/feel the game and BE AMAZED. I HOPE. PLEASE. Hihi :D

KS_TWITTER_POST.gif

Kyuur

Hey NeoGAF ^o°

Hey, welcome!

I saw you or one of your team mates post something for your game on the 2d Toolkit forums. Really liked the text effects I saw, very full of life. ;) Everything else looks great too! My only critique is the initial jump animation. Feels a bit too rigid I think.

Hey, welcome!

I saw you or one of your team mates post something for your game on the 2d Toolkit forums. Really liked the text effects I saw, very full of life. ;) Everything else looks great too! My only critique is the initial jump animation. Feels a bit too rigid I think.

Hi, yeah it was Roméo, the programmer, thanks a lot :)

Yeah I also think that the jump it too rigid. The gif's FPS doesn't help either but we're still tweaking the jump and jet-pack force/gravity indeed. We'll smoooooth this out! Do you feel that the animation could go more squishy too?

fuuuck I've been trying to programmer-artist myself a logo for my game. That shit's real hard to do. I'm guessing there's no shortcut to graphic design that doesn't involve paying someone.

If you're doing company logos, I can't recommend highly enough that you make them as a vector graphic in something like Inkscape (free) or Illustrator (definitely not free) rather than as a bitmap image.

You might be just doing them as a splashscreen now, but you're potentially going to want to have T-shirts / Expo stand banners / business cards / whatever.
Having a scalable vector imnage from the get go will save you headaches in the future

Davision

Neo Member
I made more useless stuff, cereals that you can't eat:

The features mentioned on the box are real though ...in the game ...which is real.

cbox

If you're doing company logos, I can't recommend highly enough that you make them as a vector graphic in something like Inkscape (free) or Illustrator (definitely not free) rather than as a bitmap image.

You might be just doing them as a splashscreen now, but you're potentially going to want to have T-shirts / Expo stand banners / business cards / whatever.
Having a scalable vector imnage from the get go will save you headaches in the future

Good advice, logos should be simple and eye catching. Too much detail and you waste a potential opportunity to grab someone's attention. Paint definitely isn't what should be used!

_machine

factoryfin.gif

Our kickstarter is now live for our game Red Cobra! Kickstarter is now live! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/37551334/red-cobra
Oh nice, must feel at least a bit good to have it posted finally :)

and all the best of luck, I'll definitely let my friends here know in case they're interested (and they might be, shmups certainly are still a big thing in developer communities like we have).

10730174_10203898440600284_4339240463885724958_n.jpg

We're getting a lot of 5 star reviews from Castaway Paradise players. Can't be happier :)
Oh nice to see you that you're doing well, I did have a lot of faith in your concept and I'm really happy that you proved that a concept like that can even draw investors. Will you be at Casual Connect Europe again next year? We'll probably come there to the Indie Prize as a group and not just me being a volunteer.

Jobbs

Banned
hey guys. if you're an indie dev regular for a while or a mod or anyone else I recognize, and are interested in testing an early and potentially not entirely stable version of the Ghost Song demo in the coming week or so, go ahead and PM me so I can get a list going.

thanks!

edit: it's windows PC only for now, and designed for an xbox 360 or xbox one controller. keyboard play is possible but not optimal.

Kritz

Banned

Good advice, logos should be simple and eye catching. Too much detail and you waste a potential opportunity to grab someone's attention. Paint definitely isn't what should be used!

yeah yeah :p
Paint's just for prototyping ideas, since it takes me a minute or two to iterate on an idea versus the 10 or more it takes me to work my way through Adobe Illustrator.

I'm getting closer to something that looks respectable, though. My process has been, make a bunch of versions of different logos by myself, them spend an hour or so iterating with people's feedback, and then go back to working on it myself away from criticism.

... a bit like making games.

Hey NeoGAF ^o°

I'm Claude Labonté and I work for q-bit games. Well I work for myself I guess :3

We're working with Sleepy Sheepy on a game called Holobunnies, for PC/Mac, Wii U, ...

holobunnies_logo_v01_small.png

Holobunnies is an exploration-based action game with JETPACKS! The Holobunnies live with their lovely creatures - the machetes - but somehow, these creatures managed to get their eyes stolen. The lovely Holobunnies Danielle the witch, Mephisto the ninja, Roméo the bard and Leenox the scavenger, must travel to the only place where someone or something this evil could be; The Pandemonium. They must retrieve the eyes and stop the eye-stealing madness! There are two main focuses in the game: action and exploration.

Action:
We're in love with plaformers but we have a special place for games that feel suited for speed running, that's why we've made this a goal in our game. We make it fun for speed runners to learn and execute speed run. Each characters have their unique abilities, like Danielle's life leech or Mephisto running speed, and they also have different weapons so you can find which you prefer to play with. We also include items that can change the way you play the game like the charged shots.

Exploration:
For people that prefer to explore and take their time, we also include a lot of exploration. There are a bunch of collectibles to change both how you play and how the Holobunnies look like. You'll unlock your own companion that will help you uncover invisible walls and breakable walls. With the Golden Carrots, you'll unlock different character customization options, like a mustache, rainbow colored jetpack fuel or special voice packs for your character.

holobunnies_sss.gif

We also include a multiplayer mode, that we demo-ed at an event last saturday. There are classical 4 players arena battles, catch the carrot mode, and we'll probably be making some other fun modes too :D

We're launching a Kickstarter October 25th and we're very nervous about it. We've been working on the game for the last 3 months, and I personally left my "day job" to work full time in q-bit games. It's a big move for me but so far it's been incredibly rewarding. If anyone needs any tips to do the same move - I'm sure there are countless good things to do but I can share my story if it can help :)

So yeah I'll make sure to post when we release the demo, trailer and campaign, so you can try/see/feel the game and BE AMAZED. I HOPE. PLEASE. Hihi :D

KS_TWITTER_POST.gif
in it for the cute bunnies.

So we're getting close to wrapping up development on GunWorld and I have a few dialogue concerns that I'm hoping you guys could shed some opinions on.

For those that don't know, GunWorld is an NES-inspired action game. We restricted ourselves to the NES color palette and the amount of buttons the NES controller has. We want the dialogue in the game to serve the same unapologetic homage to that era, and so we've gotten to the subject of grammar/spelling errors.

Our concern is that people will respond negatively to errors in the game's text, with the joke going completely over their heads. However we don't want to compromise the integrity of our homage, and I feel these errors are a part of that charm. I also don't want to simply quote the most well-known spelling errors. I don't want to parrot NES games, I want to create my own work inspired by them (including these faults). Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I wan't to make sure we get it right without giving off a completely trashy presentation.

So I'm going to post a few samples of classic NES quotes as well as some variations of our quotes inspired by them.

hqdefault.jpg

Taken from Pro Wrestling.
HBvJqEY.png

Ry741Zt.png

damnfool.png

Taken from Bionic Commando, modified to succumb to bad grammar.
XiM0QQe.png

yof3IkP.png

tumblr_md5k1nfHHC1rr4ihjo1_500.jpg

Taken from Ghostbusters, perhaps the most famous spelling errors.
zbYQBYq.png

That last example is a severely reduced line from the end of our game to avoid spoilers, but it demonstrates the most severe "error" in our text. I don't know if we're over thinking this, if it fits correctly with the homage and references we're trying to make, or if it just trashes our presentation. Are subtle misspellings ok, or should they only be direct references to famous misspellings? I'd love some feedback on this whole subject.

_machine

I love that last one, mostly because it's just so over the top and hopefully your target audience would at least catch one of the references. Love the idea too, I'd reckon it'd be a nice end to game.

Were currently wrapping up the rought cut of the trailer and it's been quite a ride, but in the end everything seems to have come together and the feedbacks been good. We also like to celebrate our little successes, so one of our programmer made his girlfriend bake a cake for us to celebrate getting 100 followers on twitter and the incoming vacation:
https://twitter.com/AncestoryGame/status/522331343842476032

We'll also have a post coming today from the same programmer about the AI and we'll be doing a little poll on whether it's necessary to include in the game.

so i was bored at work today and whipped this up. it's a real-time lighting system for 2d sprite-based games. it has a full day/night cycle and all sprites are affected by ambient light. i thought it was pretty cool and decided to share.

note that the actual application is much smoother. the gif is only 30fps while the application is 60fps. Also, there's some weird artificating on the transitions at times as well as warping of the trees. both of those things were introduced while creating the gif and do not happen in the actual application.

ZVGoJ4l.gif

Had my first major crash while working today. Straight to a blue screen o_O First time ever on this rig and I can't recall the last time I had any sort of freeze or crash to desktop. I build rock solid machines but hot damn it was in the middle of working on Infinite Cosmos. Lucky I save like a madman and repo just as hard. Nothing was lost. Currently monitoring my system now while stress testing. Everything is up to snuff. I am curious if it may have just been a fluke while using Unity or something unrelated. I repo all the time and do local backups every night on my storage, just in case. Crossing my fingers and will probably stop stress testing after 6 hours.

Had my first major crash while working today. Straight to a blue screen o_O First time ever on this rig and I can't recall the last time I had any sort of freeze or crash to desktop. I build rock solid machines but hot damn it was in the middle of working on Infinite Cosmos. Lucky I save like a madman and repo just as hard. Nothing was lost. Currently monitoring my system now while stress testing. Everything is up to snuff. I am curious if it may have just been a fluke while using Unity or something unrelated. I repo all the time and do local backups every night on my storage, just in case. Crossing my fingers and will probably stop stress testing after 6 hours.

Well, what was the blue screen error code? That would give you more of an idea of what went wrong, I would think.

BlueScreenView is a great tool for getting some more insight into what may have gone wrong.

Also, if you use Visual Studio, I've had instances where it causes some kind of memory issue (either writing to something it shouldn't, or reading something it shouldn't) and blue screen-ing. It seemed tied to putting the computer to sleep repeatedly with it open, but I never found the true cause. I just make sure to close it every now and then. :p

Five

Banned
barrierz yo

eY89ze8.gif

Are you tapping on the screen to make the barrier dissipate? It kind of looks like a flock of fireflies getting scared off in the GIF.

Also, regarding the background, are you against using more parallax? I think it would look amazing if the starfield moved independently from the mountains.

Korten

Banned
Hello!

First time posting in this thread, so please go easy. :)

I'm currently working on an RPG Maker VX ACE game and it's sort of been put on hold since I decided that since the
sprites I was using (The DS DLC pack for those who are familiar), had a limited amount of sprites and no built in generator
for characters, I opted to try and make my own! Currently it's just hair but I'm improving!

PLfb.png

Here's animated Gif's of two of them. It should be noted the female one I made a mistake of not
lowering the sprite when she moves left or right. Doesn't look like that ingame.

QLfb.gif
TLfb.gif

Screenshot of the characters on a TEST map.

OLfb.png

Currently I don't know how to script, I've requested some aid on the RPG Maker official forums
but I made this "fake" map in Paint.net and even made a gif version of it.

yLfb.gif

So- what do you others think?

Did I post correctly? Too many images?

Five

Banned
Something lika dis?

GL8lcTX.gif

That's what I was talking about, yes. Personally, I usually make the sky layer either not move or only move a few pixels for the width of the scene because it shows off scale better, but you don't have to go that far. If the sky moves at half the rate as the mountains, then that translates to being twice as far away, but really it should be thousands or millions of times further.

Well, what was the blue screen error code? That would give you more of an idea of what went wrong, I would think.

BlueScreenView is a great tool for getting some more insight into what may have gone wrong.

Also, if you use Visual Studio, I've had instances where it causes some kind of memory issue (either writing to something it shouldn't, or reading something it shouldn't) and blue screen-ing. It seemed tied to putting the computer to sleep repeatedly with it open, but I never found the true cause. I just make sure to close it every now and then. :p

Thanks for the tip. I guess this isn't my first BSOD according to BSV. 2 in the past 4 months :O

They all happened either while sleeping or at work during the day. Machine auto-reboots so I'd never know. Quick Goog searches lead me to a HDD fault. Winter is coming. About time to reformat anyhow. Might as well do a few other upgrades while throwing in a new drive.

Thanks for the tip. I guess this isn't my first BSOD according to BSV. 2 in the past 4 months :O

They all happened either while sleeping or at work during the day. Machine auto-reboots so I'd never know. Quick Goog searches lead me to a HDD fault. Winter is coming. About time to reformat anyhow. Might as well do a few other upgrades while throwing in a new drive.

If it truly is an HDD fault, you can check your drive's health with Crystal Disk Info.

It could be that your cables are a bit loose as well, but I'd run it through CDI first to see if there are any obvious problems.

Blizzard

Banned

DO NOT play around with that. Get everything backed up ASAP when you start getting warning hints about a hard drive. Be glad you even got a warning before it broke. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom