• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

missile

I seem to have gotten an oblique perspective to work and i does help quite a bit, but i still feel like the pespective feels a bit ackward, so i need to put a lot of thought into how i want to approach such a design. I am thinking that the iPad (primary platform) could be physically used as the border into the play itself (The open square the audience looks through to see the show), but i would have to experiment on this.
That's what I meant. Sure, the theater's border will be your iPad's physical
border, since otherwise the effect is of looking out of a window and not
inside a box.

To make things clear. The oblique stuff doesn't tell anything about the
perspective. It's the combination what makes things awesome. The standard
perspective projection depends on factors like for example the aspect ratio,
the horizontal field of view (hfov) and the vertical field of view (vfov).
Some engine default to hfov = vfov, which will never give the right feeling,
alas it suffice in many cases. The hfov scales the x-coordinate of each vertex
by a factor of 1/tan(hfov/2) (in normalized devices coordinates [-1,1], or in
screen coordinates: SCREEN_WIDTH/2 * 1/tan(hfov/2)). Similarly with the vfov.
Play with these parameters until the perspective matches the intended
perception.

I sadly cannot use the cloth physics in unity since they are not supported on the mobile platforms, so the best solution right now seems to be static 2D images that i overlay. Head tracking could be kinda cool, i am just worried that it could make flaws stand out too much and i would loose a ton of camera control. An optional head tracking mode could be pretty cool though.
Nah, you won't lose any control. The oblique angle the player makes with the
iPad will just be scaled in such a way that the scene will be oblique-projected
just slightly. It's just a tiny movement (shear) that will make all of the
difference. Once you have tweak the parameters to your likely, it's going to
be awesome. Keep going.

I for one currently derive an oblique perspective projection for my engine
from first principle to generate a more realistic behavior of vision to
better attach the player to the immediate action at hand for a given game of
mine. One can do all kinds of cool stuff while going oblique. It can be used
in many subtle cases. Best of all, the effect comes virtually for free. Just
and additional shear and a translation in x and y during perspective
projection.

Limanima

Do you guys know if the word "Achievement" in the same context as XBox Live Achievements is registered? Can I use it in my games?

Looking good. Got any videos?

NMIAxfg.jpg

Daaaaamn, nice drawings!

Should be for the price c_c

Man, I am crazy jealous at your progress... Mostly because it's probably playable and has working collision detection. When I got side-tracked (or gave up) on my project a few months ago, I was in collision hell. :(

MMF2 has built in collisions it's just a case of working around it with your own stuff, however it doesn't mean I get away free with it, I am having slope problems where Nakiti bounces around or shakes that I still need to sort out.

Swig_

Anyone know if RPG Maker VX Ace allows you to create custom battle encounters? Or does it just have a pretty typical standard encounter that you're forced to use?

An example would be Chrono Trigger vs Final Fantasy, but not limited to that.

I don't know if it's dictionary correct, but my association with "procrastination" is not doing what you should be doing, and doing something less important instead.

In my case it would be playing League of Legends endless hours. Having time for relaxation is important, and absolutely finishing school or real job work is important. It's if I start doing things like "Well I could work on the game, but instead I'll just sit around and watch a TV show" that it really becomes procrastination to me. :p

Blizzard are you me :(

(sitting here with vs2012 open and what am I doing? laning against elise)

Dali

NMIAxfg.jpg

Should be for the price c_c

MMF2 has built in collisions it's just a case of working around it with your own stuff, however it doesn't mean I get away free with it, I am having slope problems where Nakiti bounces around or shakes that I still need to sort out.

Just curious but how much were you looking at for the art assets? I'm probably going to end up going the chopper mike route but still I wonder what it would be purchase some pretty.

Just curious but how much were you looking at for the art assets? I'm probably going to end up going the chopper mike route but still I wonder what it would be purchase some pretty.

Outside of the fantastic drawings I have recieved over the year I make everything else myself, such as the sprite, level tiles and enemies, that is all me.

A very quick summery of what I have spent on:

£600 mac
£120 apple store license (2nd year now)
£350 MMF2 pro
£70 iOS exporter
£500 art (7 pieces)
£160 older art (4 pieces)
£575 music (8 tracks, 7 @ 1minute, 1 @ 2minutes)
+ bunch of things I am forgetting.

Not including my new iphone 5 I bought 90% for testing on, 10% for actually having one :p, an ipad 3 which was a personal gift to myself and my old ipods

You could only spend half that and have just as good of a game but I really want good first impressions.

Dali

Outside of the fantastic drawings I have recieved over the year I make everything else myself, such as the sprite, level tiles and enemies, that is all me.

£600 mac
£350 MMF2 pro
£70 iOS exporter
£500 art (7 pieces)

Not including my new iphone 5 I bought 90% for testing on, 10% for actually having one :p, an ipad 3 which was a personal gift to myself and my old ipods

You could only spend half that and have just as good of a game but I really want good first impressions.
Whoa. That's quite the budget... which to me means there is one, lol. At least a lot of those purchases aren't one use deal (licenses and hardware). I think what I've got now looks pretty decent, so like I said I may just take razu's path and try to do it all myself.

I did think about making music in garageband but I am really no good with computer when it comes to music.

Nakiti herself is based on a 3D model I made at university years ago, I just posed her, rendered the frames from the right angle at a set res and sprited over the top, it really helped to get some poses looking correct without being made up and she has a lot of animation, biggest sprite I have ever made from scratch ever.

If you have a dream of making a game don't let anything hold you back, it's only money, money I would have otherwise spent on unplayed steam games and 360 titles which collect dust on my shelves.

Back in 2009 I nearly sold my 360 and games to fund this game but I was at uni and lacked the time.

Dali

I did think about making music in garageband but I am really no good with computer when it comes to music.

Nakiti herself is based on a 3D model I made at university years ago, I just posed her, rendered the frames from the right angle at a set res and sprited over the top, it really helped to get some poses looking correct without being made up and she has a lot of animation, biggest sprite I have ever made from scratch ever.

If you have a dream of making a game don't let anything hold you back, it's only money, money I would have otherwise spent on unplayed steam games and 360 titles which collect dust on my shelves.

Back in 2009 I nearly sold my 360 and games to fund this game but I was at uni and lacked the time.
Ah the ol' Arc System Works method. Yeah I thought about taking that route, but it's too much work. I'm just going to use my model with no paint over. Gonna try to get a 2D effect as best I can, but its still really early so who knows what itll end up looking like.

I think time is my biggest concern moreso than money. I mean money is tight too, but I'm just not sure I have the hours and days and months of this in me. The worst part is when you see something like what you're working on about to come out or maybe an old release but you just discovered it and it looks better than you ever dreamed you're project would look.

Ah the ol' Arc System Works method. Yeah I thought about taking that route, but it's too much work. I'm just going to use my model with no paint over. Gonna try to get a 2D effect as best I can, but its still really early so who knows what itll end up looking like.

I think time is my biggest concern moreso than money. I mean money is tight too, but I'm just not sure I have the hours and days and months of this in me. The worst part is when you see something like what you're working on about to come out or maybe an old release but you just discovered it and it looks better than you ever dreamed you're project would look.

I find that at stages in development something will suddenly click and you realize how nice your game looks, with some new shadows and touched up sprites my game did exactly that before posting that screen shot, in the early stages it was just a plain sprite with some blue transparency over the image.

I''m sure you can make something awesome, best not to compare to others, my target was 16 bit gaming with a touch of modern in the visuals, thus the huge amounts of lighting. This game is a love letter to super metroid.

*edit*

This is from the 25th october 2011:

iR2afS1.png

Somewhere I have an even older barebones version running in flash, really buggy lol

Hey all, I just finished putting together the Dungeon Hearts Soundtrack and I wanted to share it with my fellow indies! Download it here.

You'll notice that there are several different musical styles present, which is because each time you beat the game, you unlock a new soundtrack in a different style, and you can switch between them at will. This is roughly half the music in the game, since each artist is selling their own specific soundtrack. Let me know what you think!

missile

@Diablohead: gfx looks aww, indeed.

@razu: I showed your game my girlfriend. By looking at the video currently on
your page, she loved it for the first 10 seconds. She said the video becomes
boring, same level over again, too many stops, repeats, tries within the video
distracting here. Likewise with showing 10^30 different vehicles, options,
etc. To put it down, she just want to see some cool levels and how they play
out in a fun way. After watching the video she told me she wouldn't buy it by
the video.
I hope that's enough motivation for the day! xD

razu

Whoa. That's quite the budget... which to me means there is one, lol. At least a lot of those purchases aren't one use deal (licenses and hardware). I think what I've got now looks pretty decent, so like I said I may just take razu's path and try to do it all myself.

I've become a path! :D

@razu: I showed your game my girlfriend. By looking at the video currently on
your page, she loved it for the first 10 seconds. She said the video becomes
boring, same level over again, too many stops, repeats, tries within the video
distracting here. Likewise with showing 10^30 different vehicles, options,
etc. To put it down, she just want to see some cool levels and how they play
out in a fun way. After watching the video she told me she wouldn't buy it by
the video.
I hope that's enough motivation for the day! xD

That's cool man. That video is a placeholder for when I make the trailer. It's not supposed to sell the game, it's more of a current status video! The trailer will be fast cuts of all the cool bits put together! I'm putting off making the trailer because: 1. The game isn't out, 2. I've not finished putting the cool bits in yet! Like this level:

missile

... That's cool man. That video is a placeholder for when I make the trailer. It's not supposed to sell the game, it's more of a current status video! The trailer will be fast cuts of all the cool bits put together! I'm putting off making the trailer because: 1. The game isn't out, 2. I've not finished putting the cool bits in yet! ...
Indeed. I told here the game isn't ready, yet. To no avail. xD At times she
(they?) lack imagination. She is still curious about how my cubes will turn
into something. Not saying she won't trust me. Btw; she asked for other items
to be collected.

The problem in game development is that it only fits together right at the end
of the development process. Hard to tell those who don't know anything about.

razu

Indeed. I told here the game isn't ready, yet. To no avail. xD At times she
(they?) lack imagination. She is still curious about how my cubes will turn
into something. Not saying she won't trust me. Btw; she asked for other items
to be collected.

The problem in game development is that it only fits together right at the end
of the development process. Hard to tell those who don't know anything about.

Other items!!! *flips desk*!!

razu

Razu, are you going to do IAPs for other chopper types or designs?

Nope. No IAPs. Pay. Play. Have a nice day!

The way I see it you need millions of players for free to play to work out. That's not going to happen with Chopper Mike, so I'm going with the tried and trusted "paying for it" route. Simple and honest. And, six months of my work for less than a cup of coffee...? Seems reasonable to me!

I also need to stay on target and remember the number one goal is to self publish a game I can be proud of, and that I made entirely by myself. Worrying about the 'right' sales model diverts thinking time away from the primary goal of making something rad!

razu

That said, there are 3 bonus aircraft. But you have to, errr, play the game to earn them.

I'm loving making levels. I think I'll update with another pack of 16 and a new aircraft every few months. Again, for free.

Limanima

£600 mac
£350 MMF2 pro
£70 iOS exporter
£500 art (7 pieces)

This is very interesting, to see how much money small indies invest.
Let me see, how much me and my friend have already invested:

€200-2 Windows Phone dev licenses
€300 - Windows Phone (that I would never buy if not for this)
€250 - XBox (that I would never buy if not for this)
€20 - Font package

We still have to buy the iOS and Android dev licenses and mono licenses.

Raide

Right. Downloading Unity now and I am going to sit down and actually TRY and make something. I have had an idea on my mind for ages but I am too lazy/rubbish to actually make it.

I already know there is a fundamental part of the game that I need to get sorted really early and I am wondering if anyone has some advice before I jump in. If I can make progress past this part, then I might actually keep going. :D

I need to be able to have a fixed path on the screen, a large circle is a basic start, and I need to be able to constrain my player to that path but still be able to make them move backwards and forwards along it. Kinda like a train-track on the outside and the player follows the tracks but always pointing to the middle.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for how I might do this in Unity, I would be very grateful.

razu

Right. Downloading Unity now and I am going to sit down and actually TRY and make something. I have had an idea on my mind for ages but I am too lazy/rubbish to actually make it.

I already know there is a fundamental part of the game that I need to get sorted really early and I am wondering if anyone has some advice before I jump in. If I can make progress past this part, then I might actually keep going. :D

I need to be able to have a fixed path on the screen, a large circle is a basic start, and I need to be able to constrain my player to that path but still be able to make them move backwards and forwards along it. Kinda like a train-track on the outside and the player follows the tracks but always pointing to the middle.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for how I might do this in Unity, I would be very grateful.

Like Tempest?

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
This is very interesting, to see how much money small indies invest.
Let me see, how much me and my friend have already invested:

€200-2 Windows Phone dev licenses
€300 - Windows Phone (that I would never buy if not for this)
€250 - XBox (that I would never buy if not for this)
€20 - Font package

We still have to buy the iOS and Android dev licenses and mono licenses.
We have invested €80.000+++ last year on Stolen Couch Games. We released 2 games. We've not made any profit YET.

Our games got downloaded almost 600.000 times in 2012.

rottame

That's actually something similar to something I wanted to do but never did (a kind of tunnel shooter). I always thought I would have used iTween for that but I never investigated the issue properly.

rottame

We have invested €80.000+++ last year on Stolen Couch Games. We released 2 games. We've not made any profit YET.

Our games got downloaded almost 600.000 times in 2012.

Holy shit. 600k downloads and you didn't cover 80k euros?
Well, this is the problem with the indie market right now :)

rottame

It's a game I've posted about a while ago, and so far I only have five levels done out of a planned 16 to 25, depending on whether I end up with four or five worlds and if I make worlds contain four or five levels each.

If you're interested in checking it out, I've got a web-based demo (it requires Unity Web Player, though). You can play it here.

Wow. This is really good. Do you realize that you found a way to make a real platformer (kind of Sonic-like) for touch devices?

However, I see a problem here. The art. Slap some 16-bit platformer-style graphics on that game and you've got a hit.

razu

I love seeing other developer's debug screenshots. I'll share one of my own. This is what Dust:AET looks like to me.

dust_debug.jpg

Ha, cool.

Here's mine, (click for big). With unity you don't have to print all over the screen. This is the scene and game running at the same time. Click on something in the Scene and see the numbers in realtime on the right, or pause it and look at lots of things... In case I've not been clear so far.. Unity is WICKED!! :D

Noogy

Here's mine... With unity you don't have to print all over the screen. This is the scene and game running at the same time. Click on something in the Scene and see the numbers in realtime on the right, or pause it and look at lots of things... In case I've not been clear so far.. Unity is WICKED!! :D

I'm envious :p To be fair, I can see everything over in Visual Studio, but it's a bit of a pain to nail down a particular variable. That and I've never been great at figuring out debuggers (especially on consoles). Throughout the entirety of Dust I had no clue how much free memory was available to me.

JulianImp

Wow. This is really good. Do you realize that you found a way to make a real platformer (kind of Sonic-like) for touch devices?

However, I see a problem here. The art. Slap some 16-bit platformer-style graphics on that game and you've got a hit.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Right now I'm a bit burned out with the project, and hearing back from people who enjoy the game is a great incentive. I'll be working on a new level with gravity zones this weekend and see how it goes.

As far as the game's art is concerned, it does have a few problems. The thing is it's what I've been able to work with according to my current knowledge of Unity, programming and level design. All in-game objects are 3D models, so sprites might be hard to implement, and I've come accross some massive problems like making the level borders look good using my ridiculously limited objects (a cube and a half-cube, which are rotated and scaled to create all the static level parts).

Perhaps the game could use an art director, but right now this is the best I can manage (since I'm wary of investing money on my first project). The only things I actually spent money on so far have been an Xperia Tipo, because of its screen having the lowest resolution among Android phones, which is great for making sure the GUI displays properly, and a not-so-new Samsung Galaxy Tab, which I think is some kind of AT&T exclusive model or something, but I'm merely using it for testing so I haven't looked too much into it.

The two Android devices have costed me about $500, and I'll be upgrading my Unity 3.0 license to 4.0 sometime in the future, so that'll be $125 more; however, I won't be upgrading my iOS license yet since I still don't have a Mac to compile on, nor an iDevice for running the games.

Once I have some more levels, I might upload a demo build on Desura as well, but right now I've just set the game's page up over there to see if it can get some more exposition than it would on my boring website or my fairly modest Twitter account.

Back to the thread, that new UFO chopper sure looks good, and Diablohead's project seems awesome. Here's to hoping all your investments pays off, because the game sre looks like it'd be worth it!

razu

Back to the thread, that new UFO chopper sure looks good, and Diablohead's project seems awesome. Here's to hoping all your investments pays off, because the game sre looks like it'd be worth it!

Thanks man! :D

Maybe a quick break would sort you out?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hey guys,

I made my first game ever and it's almost done. I did all the assets though. :p

I developed it with Java using libgdx. It's a randomly-generated escape-the-house RPG-ish game. You will encounter enemies and your goal is to escape the mansion with getting killed.

It's only 60-70% done, I haven't done the rest of the enemy sprites and I haven't fixed it up yet, but here are a few shots.

Once it's done, I'll release it for free. :)

58yHXsW.png

BH4b9jK.png

G6EhS73.png

Sorry if the graphics look a bit ruddy. They were inspired from the Apple II colors. So I'll probably change that too when I have some time.

razu

Yep, it's even the working title of my game right now. Look for "The Path of Razu" sometime around winter 2014!

I'm honoured. Or rather, my dead cat would have been, as that was her name. (She was part of the Colin McRae Rally 2 cheat codes, enter "Hello Razu and Flea" and the Main Menu shape turned into a cat!).

Drakken

Hey all, I just finished putting together the Dungeon Hearts Soundtrack and I wanted to share it with my fellow indies! Download it here.

You'll notice that there are several different musical styles present, which is because each time you beat the game, you unlock a new soundtrack in a different style, and you can switch between them at will. This is roughly half the music in the game, since each artist is selling their own specific soundtrack. Let me know what you think!

Ah, nice, I've heard some of Sam English's stuff from this on Soundcloud. Will definitely check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom