• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I don't know. Is that how it works?
Pretty much, just with mouse controls: you'd need to get the mouse cursor to the end of the maze without touching the borders (which effectively reset your position to the start). They used to be quite big in the early days of Flash.

There is something really cool feeling about designing your app store icon, it's only small and a still image but it's also so important to get right, and once you made it and it's in your app it's such a good feeling to see it on a device.

Like mouse maze games?

Qhk4I6w.jpg

FUCK that maze lol, friend got me good with that one.
it's from a closet scare flash game

I have changed sky colours based on difficulty, so the player gets a sense of progression... (and doom from the evil purple..)

Click for BIG...

This is a really simple but awesome idea, I like how your game looks overall, some very nice tones without feeling too bold.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
If you truly want a detailed report on our costs and profits I can post it here. Might be of value to some.

Also: I'll be giving a presentation at Casual Connect next week spilling all our revenue details from Android, iOS, bundle sales etc. Usually developers keep quiet about these things, but we don't. :)

Dali

I think it would be better if you switch colors between easy and normal difficulties. I feel like the blue color fits better with an easy difficulty

But the blue is easier on the eyes. You gotta figure the average person is going to play on normal. Let the few that can't handle the regular difficulty endure the embarrassment of the pee-yellow background.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Pretty much, just with mouse controls: you'd need to get the mouse cursor to the end of the maze without touching the borders (which effectively reset your position to the start). They used to be quite big in the early days of Flash.

Oh right. Thanks.

razu

But the blue is easier on the eyes. You gotta figure the average person is going to play on normal. Let the few that can't handle the regular difficulty endure the embarrassment of the pee-yellow background.

They all look wicked on device, so that's the important thing!

It's a day cycle.. sunrise, daytime, evening.. Screenshots will look nice alongside each other too.

Only 16 levels to fix up the materials remaining.. (wish I had done this to begin with...)

Tonight I want to show you how some of the lighting works in my game, it's hard to show exactly from stills but this is a small example, the left image is under a lamp / roof light and the right image is near some blue bloom:

vBedolH.png

It's not as simple as a palette toggle or swap, my method uses a special high contrast version of the sprite which can adjust in real time while overlaying the main sprite, the result is things like fake dynamic shadows under her arms and chin.

I am rather happy with how it works, it helps make the sprite feel dynamic.

Water is also a lot more water like, not just a shade of blue and black:

rmAjTL1.png

Since the beginning I have always wanted the game to look like it's retro, I added a black frame to this screen earlier and the first thing I thought of was that it looks like it's taken from a tube tv in a dark room or something.

kRHZ10q.png

Tonight I want to show you how some of the lighting works in my game, it's hard to show exactly from stills but this is a small example, the left image is under a lamp / roof light and the right image is near some blue bloom:

vBedolH.png

It's not as simple as a palette toggle or swap, my method uses a special high contrast version of the sprite which can adjust in real time while overlaying the main sprite, the result is things like fake dynamic shadows under her arms and chin.

rmAjTL1.png

Since the beginning I have always wanted the game to look like it's retro, I added a black frame to this screen earlier and the first thing I thought of was that it looks like it's taken from a tube tv in a dark room or something.

kRHZ10q.png

Since some days ago I have been looking at the work you are posting from your game, and let me tell you its simply amazing! Really, really astounding work and it looks great.

Since some days ago I have been looking at the work you are posting from your game, and let me tell you its simply amazing! Really, really astounding work and it looks great.

Hopefully this june you will be able to play it and enjoy it, making money or not I am just looking forward to having this game out.

missile

If you truly want a detailed report on our costs and profits I can post it here. Might be of value to some.

Also: I'll be giving a presentation at Casual Connect next week spilling all our revenue details from Android, iOS, bundle sales etc. Usually developers keep quiet about these things, but we don't. :)
Such a report would be very welcome. And I'm interested in what metric you
use for the salaries, i.e. how the payment is justified with respect to the
outcome, profit made (if any), performance, etc.

Looks like a game, if you ask me! :+
P.S. Had a good laugh this morning spotting Kaz in your avatar. xD

@raz: Colors look fine over here.

GMM

Banned
Learning how to program. Made some text based stuff. What should my first graphical thing be? Pong?

Basicly what ever you want it to be. If you want to do a simple game, something like pong would make a very good starting ground for basic functions.

vBedolH.png

rmAjTL1.png

kRHZ10q.png

That looks great! :D Where can I go to read more details about the project?

missile

^ I mentioned the line for a reason. The point in itself has no geometrical
information. To build a shape one needs at least kind of a geometry. And
since the simplest geometrical space is the euclidean R^n, I've given its
simplest geometrical shape, i.e. the line. ;)

Blizzard

Banned
^ I mentioned the line for a reason. The point in itself has no geometrical
information. To build a shape one needs at least kind of a geometry. And
since the simplest geometrical space is the euclidean R^n, I've given its
simplest geometrical shape, i.e. the line. ;)
That might be true of abstract mathematics, but in terms of computer games on a flat screen, there's a 2D array of pixels, so pretty much anything is made up of those. :p

Blizzard

Banned
Depends on if you're using a vector or a raster display ;P
As far as I know most consumer PCs and smartphones use raster-based pixel array displays, and no one has asked questions in this thread about vector displays, therefore my answer is clearly appropriate to the current game developing audience! :p

missile

That might be true of abstract mathematics, but in terms of computer games on a flat screen, there's a 2D array of pixels, so pretty much anything is made up of those. :p
I know where you coming from, but the concept is general. Since even in this
case you mentioned, you still need to follow a geometrical form in your head
to draw a shape. Look at Diablohead's screens. If he didn't knew anything about
lines, the pictures would look quite different. And if one doesn't know about
lines nor would he know anything about curves.

Blizzard

Banned
Looks awesome, except for the dialogue font. I hope that you'll be changing it later.
Speaking of which, does anyone have any good resources for either open-source or reasonably priced professional fonts, with clear legal attribution stuff in either case?

Also does anyone know how it works legally if you use a font you don't own (either in the standard Windows font case, or a custom font case) and use it to make text on a picture...and include the picture in your game? Do you still need the font rights for the label?

Today I helped introduce a Playstation Mobile game jam going on between now and 4pm next Sunday for Indiecade East here in New York City.

I've been working on the platform for about 4 months, getting the kinks worked out while rebuilding a game maker prototype in it to actually turn it into a full real game.

LisaPixelProfileArt.png

Last week I posted art from my game of my female protagonist, that my wife made, that I created a pixel version of for in game.

Posted more about it here.

Popstar

Speaking of which, does anyone have any good resources for either open-source or reasonably priced professional fonts, with clear legal attribution stuff in either case?

Also does anyone know how it works legally if you use a font you don't own (either in the standard Windows font case, or a custom font case) and use it to make text on a picture...and include the picture in your game? Do you still need the font rights for the label?
It depends on the licensing of the font. If it's licensed for commercial use that should be fine. Making a font texture with all the glyphs on it may not be.

Font Squirrel is a nice place to find fonts. A link to the license is included on the page for each font.

Smashing Magazine also does regular round-ups of good free fonts. But make sure you check the licenses as not all are licensed for commercial work.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου

vBedolH.png

rmAjTL1.png

kRHZ10q.png
Astounding work. The lighting really is amazing. Can't wait to see the game in motion.

Bamihap

Such a report would be very welcome. And I'm interested in what metric you
use for the salaries, i.e. how the payment is justified with respect to the
outcome, profit made (if any), performance, etc.
We're a partnership of 6 people. How it works in The Netherlands is that we have to share the profits and losses equally. So the money we keep at the end of the year is divided by 6. But you can also do a guesstimate and pay the salaries each month and hope you earn enough money that year.

So for example We pay ourselves €1,000 a month, which means we have to make a profit of €72,000 that year. Just add €10k for the office rent, another €5k for other expenses and you're almost at €100k.

Making €100k a year with mobile games is hard. VERY hard. Ichi made €30k (we were Apple's Editors' choice of the week on Mac, got featured on iOS, Amazon etc), Kids vs Goblins made €10k (Also featured by apple). If you don't get a huge hit or do a shitload of work for hire assignments it's impossible to have a company with 6+ people.

Let's say you do get the 250.000 paid users with your game and make €100.000,--. Than you're still earning less than if you were jobless here in The Netherlands. Seriously, having no job earns more than having a company with a successful game :D

missile

We're a partnership of 6 people. How it works in The Netherlands is that we have to share the profits and losses equally. So the money we keep at the end of the year is divided by 6. But you can also do a guesstimate and pay the salaries each month and hope you earn enough money that year. ...
Fair enough.

... So for example We pay ourselves €1,000 a month, which means we have to make a profit of €72,000 that year. Just add €10k for the office rent, another €5k for other expenses and you're almost at €100k.

Making €100k a year with mobile games is hard. VERY hard. Ichi made €30k (we were Apple's Editors' choice of the week on Mac, got featured on iOS, Amazon etc), Kids vs Goblins made €10k (Also featured by apple). If you don't get a huge hit or do a shitload of work for hire assignments it's impossible to have a company with 6+ people. ...
Understood. But given the situation, do you guys like the way it is? With
respect to "... We have invested €80.000+++ last year on Stolen Couch Games.
We released 2 games. We've not made any profit YET. ...", is there a way for
you guys to change all of this? Wrong market?

Let's say you do get the 250.000 paid users with your game and make €100.000,--. Than you're still earning less than if you were jobless here in The Netherlands. Seriously, having no job earns more than having a company with a successful game :D
Well, in that case it's easy. Become jobless and make games until success.

Astounding work. The lighting really is amazing. Can't wait to see the game in motion.

I feel guilty for not helping more with dudebro 2 over a year ago but now you can see why :3 you need to post more about your game!

That looks great! :D Where can I go to read more details about the project?

This thread, really.

Looks awesome, except for the dialogue font. I hope that you'll be changing it later.

There are some problems with the font that I need to look into but it might have to stay for now, on iOS it looks a little better and get's anti-analyzed.

Dali

vBedolH.png

rmAjTL1.png

kRHZ10q.png
Looking really good! You plan on release outside of Apple devices?

I hope to have " path of razu "(working title :p) in some sort of showable form soon too. I've kinda conquered the basics of hit detection, have my main character somewhat function, and was working on enemy behaviour when I realized I really need to do some design documents. Ive just got a general idea of the game in my head. I know what I want it to look like and basics of gameplay but I really need to get specific with stuff. So I guess the fun part (making something concrete appear on screen) is going to be halted for a bit.

Looking really good! You plan on release outside of Apple devices?

I hope to have " path of razu "(working title :p) in some sort of showable form soon too. I've kinda conquered the basics of hit detection, have my main character somewhat function, and was working on enemy behaviour when I realized I really need to do some design documents. Ive just got a general idea of the game in my head. I know what I want it to look like and basics of gameplay but I really need to get specific with stuff. So I guess the fun part (making something concrete appear on screen) is going to be halted for a bit.

Well it works on pc as I am building it and testing it mostly on one and depending on how easy an android exporter works it could go to that and Ouya too, but it's stuff I will plan to look into once the main game is actually out on iOS and pc.

Good luck with your game, just keep working on it when you have time and before you know it you are quite far in and it suddenly feels like a real game then a bunch of gravity and collision code.

Bamihap

Fair enough.

Understood. But given the situation, do you guys like the way it is? With
respect to "... We have invested €80.000+++ last year on Stolen Couch Games.
We released 2 games. We've not made any profit YET. ...", is there a way for
you guys to change all of this? Wrong market?

Well, in that case it's easy. Become jobless and make games until success.
Hehehe :D.

We're changing things up. We'll be releasing Castaway Paradise this year. It'll be the first in a series of very similar free to play games. We will reuse code/assets across games to speed up development. It's going to be awesome.

BCB8_CWCIAADI37.png

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I feel guilty for not helping more with dudebro 2 over a year ago but now you can see why :3 you need to post more about your game!
You're right, we should post more here.

Actually, your screenshots inspired me to get another look at some issues we were having with the lighting engine (not shown yet, it was disabled for the trailer and more prioritary stuff got in the way after that).

And guess what? I managed to fix them. Now we can resume working on its integration :)

You're right, we should post more here.

Actually, your screenshots inspired me to get another look at some issues we were having with the lighting engine (not shown yet, it was disabled for the trailer and more prioritary stuff got in the way after that).

And guess what? I managed to fix them. Now we can resume working on its integration :)

Horrah! the world needs more polar bear punch fests.

I'm reading OpenGL SuperBible 5th edition. Anyone have opinions on this book?

no idea sorry, only book I own is C#, read the first half of that book multiple times but can only make a calculator in sharp :p

Dali

Well it works on pc as I am building it and testing it mostly on one and depending on how easy an android exporter works it could go to that and Ouya too, but it's stuff I will plan to look into once the main game is actually out on iOS and pc.

Good luck with your game, just keep working on it when you have time and before you know it you are quite far in and it suddenly feels like a real game then a bunch of gravity and collision code.

Ah well you've got a sale from me if its on pc. Thanks for the motivational words.

lol... I thought dude bros were all about the chubbie chicks. Like as long as there isn't a penis there dude bros are generally down. What kinda blasphemy is that image hinting at?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
lol... I thought dude bros were all about the chubbie chicks. Like as long as there isn't a penis there dude bros are generally down. What kinda blasphemy is that image hinting at?
She's just walking a bit slower :)
There is, in fact, a Chubby Chaser achievement planned, so no worries for that.

Just wanted to say I finally played Gunman Clive on 3DS. Thought it was really cool, except the walking/control is a little floaty. I'll still pick it up when I go buy another Nintendo Points card, just haven't gotten around to it.

Anyone have any thoughts on the art I posted above?

qq more

Just wanted to say I finally played Gunman Clive on 3DS. Thought it was really cool, except the walking/control is a little floaty. I'll still pick it up when I go buy another Nintendo Points card, just haven't gotten around to it.

Anyone have any thoughts on the art I posted above?

It's really well made so far! Keep it up!

So I'm starting to get my Unity editor off the ground. I don't have that much experience with making window-based applications in general, so the first few hours were like pulling teeth.

Eventually I found this tutorial, which helped me get the basics down. I made a separate scene(not sure if I needed to do this anymore, but it still made for a good way to sort things out), used their Grid implementation, and instead of making/instantiating Cubes I made a faux-Collider script that just uses a cube pos/size and adds some parameter info to match the Collider objects I use in the game proper.

I've made it so that the active cube gets a fill draw while everything else is wire-drawn, though I may end up changing that later. They're color-coded by base type/purpose, etc.

My to-do list so far is:

• Being able to change the dimensions of a given collider via border click-drag, etc.
  • Make the faux-collider objects children of the SpriteAnimationObject so that their positions are defined relative to the animation itself, and create a master editor for said SpriteAnimationObject
  • SpriteAnimationObject(I need to rename this...)'s editor would allow you to cycle through frames on a button press; 'colliders' are frame-tied, so I will need something like an array of fake-collider lists to match a given animation's frames. It would instantiate/destroy the colliders in the scene every time the frame changes, and store their information in its own container.
  • Serialization to XML format

The only thing I don't like about making an editor this early is that I just know I'll have to go back and fiddle with the fields, which means changing all the editor classes/layouts and the XML file format god knows how many times, but it's a minor gripe. Happy with how it's gone so far.

Zissou

Today I helped introduce a Playstation Mobile game jam going on between now and 4pm next Sunday for Indiecade East here in New York City.

I've been working on the platform for about 4 months, getting the kinks worked out while rebuilding a game maker prototype in it to actually turn it into a full real game.

LisaPixelProfileArt.png

Last week I posted art from my game of my female protagonist, that my wife made, that I created a pixel version of for in game.

Posted more about it here.

I really dig the art style.

Nillansan

58yHXsW.png

BH4b9jK.png

Sorry if the graphics look a bit ruddy. They were inspired from the Apple II colors. So I'll probably change that too when I have some time.

I am really digging the graphics, I don't think that you should change them. The limited colour palette that you are using really makes the game stand out.

Are all of your screens hand drawn or did you create low resolution versions of stock images?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom