• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charsace

Hey guys,

I made my first game ever and it's almost done. I did all the assets though. :p

I developed it with Java using libgdx. It's a randomly-generated escape-the-house RPG-ish game. You will encounter enemies and your goal is to escape the mansion with getting killed.

It's only 60-70% done, I haven't done the rest of the enemy sprites and I haven't fixed it up yet, but here are a few shots.

Once it's done, I'll release it for free. :)

58yHXsW.png

BH4b9jK.png

G6EhS73.png

Sorry if the graphics look a bit ruddy. They were inspired from the Apple II colors. So I'll probably change that too when I have some time.
I like the look of it.

Raide

Slowly working my way through these Unity Tutorials. Trying to jot down which bits I need to pay more attention to so I can figure out which I need to mod to get my game started.

missile

I'm honoured. Or rather, my dead cat would have been, as that was her name. (She was part of the Colin McRae Rally 2 cheat codes, enter "Hello Razu and Flea" and the Main Menu shape turned into a cat!).
Rest in peace.

Cats are such a real inspiration. We have a one with us, her name is Shiva.
She is guiding me on my work day-by-day. And we love her to death.

W3L6HSX.png

Shiva - The Fighting Cat -

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Right now I'm a bit burned out with the project, and hearing back from people who enjoy the game is a great incentive. I'll be working on a new level with gravity zones this weekend and see how it goes.

As far as the game's art is concerned, it does have a few problems. The thing is it's what I've been able to work with according to my current knowledge of Unity, programming and level design. All in-game objects are 3D models, so sprites might be hard to implement, and I've come accross some massive problems like making the level borders look good using my ridiculously limited objects (a cube and a half-cube, which are rotated and scaled to create all the static level parts).

Perhaps the game could use an art director, but right now this is the best I can manage (since I'm wary of investing money on my first project). The only things I actually spent money on so far have been an Xperia Tipo, because of its screen having the lowest resolution among Android phones, which is great for making sure the GUI displays properly, and a not-so-new Samsung Galaxy Tab, which I think is some kind of AT&T exclusive model or something, but I'm merely using it for testing so I haven't looked too much into it.

The two Android devices have costed me about $500, and I'll be upgrading my Unity 3.0 license to 4.0 sometime in the future, so that'll be $125 more; however, I won't be upgrading my iOS license yet since I still don't have a Mac to compile on, nor an iDevice for running the games.

Once I have some more levels, I might upload a demo build on Desura as well, but right now I've just set the game's page up over there to see if it can get some more exposition than it would on my boring website or my fairly modest Twitter account.

Back to the thread, that new UFO chopper sure looks good, and Diablohead's project seems awesome. Here's to hoping all your investments pays off, because the game sre looks like it'd be worth it!

I think your game is cool too. I'd definitely buy it.

Miutsu

Hey guys,

I made my first game ever and it's almost done. I did all the assets though. :p

I developed it with Java using libgdx. It's a randomly-generated escape-the-house RPG-ish game. You will encounter enemies and your goal is to escape the mansion with getting killed.

It's only 60-70% done, I haven't done the rest of the enemy sprites and I haven't fixed it up yet, but here are a few shots.

Once it's done, I'll release it for free. :)

58yHXsW.png

BH4b9jK.png

G6EhS73.png

Sorry if the graphics look a bit ruddy. They were inspired from the Apple II colors. So I'll probably change that too when I have some time.

Don't change them! it looks great

Just getting started on something, first time all doing my own sprites on a scale this large

[url]http://24.media.tumblr.com/969e15b137dd13e3a0e1398346f0ddd6/tumblr_mhuiewxVT71rr2g16o1_250.gif[/url] [IMG]

pew pew pew[/QUOTE]

That looks really fantastic! Have you started development or are you just mocking stuff up?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Love them as they are right now. Good job.
What happened with Project Downgrade, BTW?

Discontinued. I'll PM a message to you about it if you don't mind.

After this mini-project of mine, I might be looking for an artist and composer though. I'll probably be making an adventure game using RPG Maker. :p

cbox

Gearing up to start my second trailer, the first was thrown together after I accidentally made my greenlight page public and received MANY bad comments, sucks.

Rendered a new background and my friend is polishing up all the code. The game feels really solid now.

Here's a demonstration on our mines, you can hold them behind your ship like the shells in mario kart. Then you can smack them with the whip to "activate" an enhanced mode which ups the damage.

iwltOhho9fyl7.gif

The little white numbers you see are style points. You get points for using weapon combos, near misses, timing your missiles correctly and using our magnet and mine drop. Then you can fly out of bounds and upgrade and replenish each type of weapon.

Question about my second trailer. Since our game is gonna be 60fps would you want to see it in 60? Should be fun to edit :)

missile

... I like how the projectiles glow
Same over here. It's a nice attention to detail.

@ConvenientBox: Mines ftw! But the blasting wave must be a place-holder one.
I would add a slight distortion on the propagating front of the pressure wave,
simulating the effect of refracting light due to a strong variation in density
within the media during the detonation sequence. Anyhow, what's cool about the
game is its symbolic nature/graphics. :+

Ydahs

I think trying to make my own 3D engine and map editor was a mistake... I learnt a lot, got quite a bit done but at the end of the day I'm still a looong way off making the game that I wanted to make.

I can't start it anytime soon because I'm working on a couple of websites at the moment, but I think I should take what I learned and try to implement it in Unity. Good thing is, Unity supports C# right? So I guess a lot of the logic and abstraction I had can be ported over quite easily.

razu

Just getting started on something, first time all doing my own sprites on a scale this large

tumblr_mhuiewxVT71rr2g16o1_250.gif

pew pew pew

Love this!

I think trying to make my own 3D engine and map editor was a mistake... I learnt a lot, got quite a bit done but at the end of the day I'm still a looong way off making the game that I wanted to make.

I can't start it anytime soon because I'm working on a couple of websites at the moment, but I think I should take what I learned and try to implement it in Unity. Good thing is, Unity supports C# right? So I guess a lot of the logic and abstraction I had can be ported over quite easily.

Yeah, I use C#. You don't have to attach scripts to objects in the scene either. You can have entire libraries of systems that are just referenced by game scripts.. So you can do pretty much anything. Write your own physics if you want..

Dali

Awesome. The ship looks like a Starfox's airwing though.

Yeah... but that's not a bad thing at all. It's not a direct rip so I think it's fine. Love the overall aesthetic and the moderate pace those few seconds lead me to believe the game will have. Seriously bullet hell shooters can sick a duck. Make a moderate speed Axelay type game and you've got a sale here.

If people could 'like' my FB pages, that would be awesome. Need likes for extra permissions..

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chopper-Mike/548208931909947

http://www.facebook.com/VAMflax

Feedback on the pages themselves would be awesome too. *runs and hides* :D

But if I like your page, then my secret identity will be known to the rest of these dirtbags.

clashfan

Git or Mercurial? I'm a Git user and anyone that uses Git will tell you that it's not great for binary files. All the young kids are telling Mercurial is what the hip kids are using and Git is for the old timers like me. Is Mercurial that much better then Git?

razu

Git or Mercurial? I'm a Git user and anyone that uses Git will tell you that it's not great for binary files. All the young kids are telling Mercurial is what the hip kids are using and Git is for the old timers like me. Is Mercurial that much better then Git?

This won't help, I use Perforce. But I'd like to use this opportunity to once again promote the use of source control! It's super useful if you like to try things out and revert, or branch for demos, platform specific builds... I urge people to look into it. It's not just a team thing either. I use perforce and it's just me!

clashfan

This won't help, I use Perforce. But I'd like to use this opportunity to once again promote the use of source control! It's super useful if you like to try things out and revert, or branch for demos, platform specific builds... I urge people to look into it. It's not just a team thing either. I use perforce and it's just me!

How's Perforce at handling binaries? I'm a long time Git user but I'm starting to wonder if I'm missing out by not trying other source control...

razu

How's Perforce at handling binaries? I'm a long time Git user but I'm starting to wonder if I'm missing out by not trying other source control...

It's been fine for me. But I'm using Git at the moment during the day, remotely from my office to theirs, and that's working fine too..

I'd say give it a go, it's free if there aren't many of you..

PhiLonius

Gearing up to start my second trailer, the first was thrown together after I accidentally made my greenlight page public and received MANY bad comments, sucks.

Rendered a new background and my friend is polishing up all the code. The game feels really solid now.

Here's a demonstration on our mines, you can hold them behind your ship like the shells in mario kart. Then you can smack them with the whip to "activate" an enhanced mode which ups the damage.

iwltOhho9fyl7.gif

The little white numbers you see are style points. You get points for using weapon combos, near misses, timing your missiles correctly and using our magnet and mine drop. Then you can fly out of bounds and upgrade and replenish each type of weapon.

Question about my second trailer. Since our game is gonna be 60fps would you want to see it in 60? Should be fun to edit :)

What are you using to make this? Love your particle effects.

Blizzard

Banned
I remember Perforce being a huge pain years ago at a company I worked for, but it could have just been network problems or how that particular company had it set up.

GIT tends to confuse me a little compared to plain SVN, probably because I haven't delved into the concepts of GIT branches/snapshots/push/pull/whatever as much as I should. I've never used Mercurial as far as I remember.

Thanks, everyone!

Awesome. The ship looks like a Starfox's airwing though.

I've been thinking about this since I first read it and eventually it bugged me enough that I actually looked up what an Arwing looks like because I didn't think it looked that close

rj0lYes.jpg

And... eh. Not really.

AlexM

I googled a couple articles comparing mercurial and git last week. The end result was that they seem to be pretty similar.

I use mercuial myself. I'm happy with it. Seems to deal with conflicts better than SVN for me but on the other hand there's only 2-3 coders in the project I use with mercurial.

usea

I googled a couple articles comparing mercurial and git last week. The end result was that they seem to be pretty similar.

I use mercuial myself. I'm happy with it. Seems to deal with conflicts better than SVN for me but on the other hand there's only 2-3 coders in the project I use with mercurial.
Yeah mercurial and git are both distributed version control. They have similar features. SVN is not distributed. There's always one server that you push/pull from. With git/hg you can push a copy to a fileshare if your server goes down, or pull changesets from a coworker directly instead of syncing with a server, etc. They're vastly superior.

missile

We have invested €80.000+++ last year on Stolen Couch Games. We released 2 games. We've not made any profit YET.

Our games got downloaded almost 600.000 times in 2012.
Can you tell how the cost split up?

I think trying to make my own 3D engine and map editor was a mistake... I learnt a lot, got quite a bit done but at the end of the day I'm still a looong way off making the game that I wanted to make. ...
That's perhaps not the best approach, initially, in building a 3d engine for
a specific complex game, if you aren't already a senior in the field. Well, in
the early days of 3d engines programming the tenor was; let's build a
rudimentary 3d engine and let's look what we can do with it, i.e what games
can be build on it. This in an incremental approach leaving much room for
corrections during development. The one shot solution of programming an engine
for a specific game is only a viable solution if you know the innards of many
graphics/math algorithms from-a-coding-perspective and exactly know what the
game needs to deliver on the promise.

Anyhow, I want to encourage you to continue on your path. But you may have to
scale down on your game. But no matter the size, the vision remains.

Karram

So GameMaker people, where do can I actually learn the GameMaker language ? I watched the YT playlists, and it was useful but I can't say it's enough to start making games. Do I need to learn a popular programming language in order to use GML ?

Ranger X

So GameMaker people, where do can I actually learn the GameMaker language ? I watched the YT playlists, and it was useful but I can't say it's enough to start making games. Do I need to learn a popular programming language in order to use GML ?

Go to the GameMaker community forums. There are TONS of links and tutos for learning GML. There's even a mentor system on the futur where people can help you through your journey. Results are also obtained easily by a google search.

GameMaker Community

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Here is a quick clip of my wife's reset action while testing a level of my game Gleamer on an iPad. (She consistently gets higher scores than me in any games she tries)

http://youtu.be/nanXewymgVA

have you considered putting the restart button in the bottom right/left?

games that require constant restarts like this seem to work best when you make the action as easy as possible. putting it out of reach in the top right seems awkward.

razu

games that require constant restarts like this seem to work best when you make the action as easy as possible. putting it out of reach in the top right seems awkward.

I have the exact same problem, but I'd rather it be awkward to hit than easy to accidentally hit..

It's an iPad only problem. Not really the best device for playing on.. 7 inch Nexus is about perfect.

Dynamite Shikoku

Well, you can touch anywhere on the screen to jump, and in most of the levels the action is happening at the bottom of the screen. When I have been testing on the ipad I generally touch the screen near the top to jump, quite close to the reset button, and then my arm is not getting in the way as well. But I'll be interested to see what other people think when I eventually get some proper testing going.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I have the exact same problem, but I'd rather it be awkward to hit than easy to accidentally hit..

I'm coming at this as a player not a designer so I trust you all know what you're doing :p

I can see how an accidental hit would be annoying for the user but if the levels are only a few seconds long it might be worth it

Well, you can touch anywhere on the screen to jump, and in most of the levels the action is happening at the bottom of the screen. When I have been testing on the ipad I generally touch the screen near the top to jump, quite close to the reset button, and then my arm is not getting in the way as well. But I'll be interested to see what other people think when I eventually get some proper testing going.

I was playing Trials Evo last night and it was on my mind. They make a checkpoint restart to the B button so it's easy to hit and a full restart is on the Select button which is a little awkward but I guess that's the point.

If you look at it like that the quick restart action should be within thumbs reach but I guess it's a little different on touch screens because you don't know what the user will place their hand as you said.

I'd be interested to know what other people think if you do testing. Maybe I'm just talking rubbish.

Dynamite Shikoku

You just had me thinking, imagine if the whole screen was a reset button (or killed you or something) except for one tiny area that you had to touch to control the action. Wonder if a game could be made from that idea

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
You just had me thinking, imagine if the whole screen was a reset button (or killed you or something) except for one tiny area that you had to touch to control the action. Wonder if a game could be made from that idea

Like mouse maze games?

Qhk4I6w.jpg

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

move the safe area around the screen now and again and you've got yourself a game

Dynamite Shikoku

Like mouse maze games?

Qhk4I6w.jpg

I don't know. Is that how it works?

Also, I took a picture of how I use the iPad for my game. iPad's are actually pretty awkward to hold at the bottom and play like a usual portable device because they are so heavy. And in that video I posted my wife was really just holding it up for the camera. I usually rest it on my legs, or hold it with both hands in the middle of the screen, with my thumbs up around the top. But I'm guessing other people would use it differently, so I might have to have an option to change the button location.

razu

I'm coming at this as a player not a designer so I trust you all know what you're doing :p

I can see how an accidental hit would be annoying for the user but if the levels are only a few seconds long it might be worth it

I was playing Trials Evo last night and it was on my mind. They make a checkpoint restart to the B button so it's easy to hit and a full restart is on the Select button which is a little awkward but I guess that's the point.

If you look at it like that the quick restart action should be within thumbs reach but I guess it's a little different on touch screens because you don't know what the user will place their hand as you said.

I'd be interested to know what other people think if you do testing. Maybe I'm just talking rubbish.

No, it's a massively important point. One player asked for "Shake To Restart", and I'm considering it... even though I kinda feel bleurghhh about shaking the iPad.

On PC I map the yellow Y button of my 360 pad to restart and it's instant. Then as soon as you pull the power trigger the level starts. It's a beautiful system. Constantly restarting in a trance to perfect a few skilful turns... a real "in the zone" kind of session. Sadly, the iPad restart button does break this flow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom