• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
7DaysLeft.png

Hey again guys! Just wanted to share that we just released our game "The Other Brothers" on iOS store!

LINK: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-other-brothers/id618605145?mt=8

Thanks for checking it out!!

I REALLY want to like this, but the moving d-pad makes it almost unplayable. Any chance you could add in a fixed d-pad in an update along with the ability to move the position of the buttons on the iPad?

razu

Hee hee, couldn't help myself. Made a control test for a drift game.

Considering how long it took us to get a car driving round at the Sega Racing Studio, it's some sort of miracle that this can be knocked up in an hour or so!

Click for video..

As ever, Unity/Physx rules! :D

ThomasP

Neo Member
I REALLY want to like this, but the moving d-pad makes it almost unplayable. Any chance you could add in a fixed d-pad in an update along with the ability to move the position of the buttons on the iPad?

Hey mate. We are working on an alternate dpad which acts more like the classic dpad so that will give you another option then. A lot of people love the current controls but there are also some who prefer the classic style :)

Hey mate. We are working on an alternate dpad which acts more like the classic dpad so that will give you another option then. A lot of people love the current controls but there are also some who prefer the classic style :)

Cool, it works OK if you slide your finger, but for tapping it becomes a finicky mess. I'd also highly recommend having the option to put the buttons higher up the screen on the iPad. I've found that on an iPad it's more natural to hold it at the middle of the screen. If the buttons are on the bottom the iPad becomes too top-heavy and unwieldy to hold. I've always found Mos Speedrun to be a really good reference to see what I'm talking about.

Just a FYI for IndieGAF that prefers coding or wants to learn how;

Corona SDK (a Lua SDK for mobile apps/games) just changed their pay structure.
+ You can now publish without paying, up to 100k in revenue
+ There are no forced boot-up screens!
+ The latest free build supports stuff like GL_NEAREST (yay for 8bit games)
+ Great tile engine support via 3rd party
- "Daily" SDK updates still require a subscription (bleh)
- Writing your own C++ extensions requires a subscription (not a big deal if you don't know C++, but it's something Moai does for free)
- Cost of that subscription has doubled (~will be $550+/yr)
- Controller support still in the works (I think only Green Throttle right now but there is some really *rough* Ouya support via user code...)

So if you've wanted to go with a Lua coding SDK that is remarkably easy to learn, this is a pretty good option because there's no reason to pay unless you're really deep into the SDK already.

Anustart

Anyone familiar with Unity and the Orthello framework? I've come upon a problem I don't know how to solve. I'm sure it's as easy as setting a collision offset somewhere or something but for now I'm clueless.

If you reference this video, starting at about the 13:50 mark is where he puts the box collider on this character. My problem is that I don't want to set the size of that collider to the exact size of the character to allow some leeway. But if I shrink that collider, then attach the sprite parent and sprite as children, he 'hovers' a short distance above because I resized the collider I guess.

If I explained this well enough, anyone know how to fix it? Ask me for more info if needed, it's kinda tough to explain.

Edit: More specifically, for ground collision to work correctly, my box collider is taller than I need. Is there a way to make it so theres some leeway before collisions with the top of the player happen?

Just a FYI for IndieGAF that prefers coding or wants to learn how;

Corona SDK (a Lua SDK for mobile apps/games) just changed their pay structure.
+ You can now publish without paying, up to 100k in revenue
+ There are no forced boot-up screens!
+ The latest free build supports stuff like GL_NEAREST (yay for 8bit games)
+ Great tile engine support via 3rd party
- "Daily" SDK updates still require a subscription (bleh)
- Writing your own C++ extensions requires a subscription (not a big deal if you don't know C++, but it's something Moai does for free)
- Cost of that subscription has doubled (~will be $550+/yr)
- Controller support still in the works (I think only Green Throttle right now but there is some really *rough* Ouya support via user code...)

So if you've wanted to go with a Lua coding SDK that is remarkably easy to learn, this is a pretty good option because there's no reason to pay unless you're really deep into the SDK already.

Awesome news, thanks for the heads up! I wonder if they feel threatened by Project Anarchy....

cbox

This is what happens when your dev buddy wants to have some fun with the code, I love it and we plan on adding some funny easter eggs in a couple key points of the game.

iQ0krvw.gif

On another note,

I'm thinking of having our game send general stats to my server and then have them displayed on the site. Has anyone done this before using XNA or C#?

Awesome news, thanks for the heads up! I wonder if they feel threatened by Project Anarchy....

Not that I know of; PA seems to be Havok's 3D engine and they haven't even announced what language it's using yet (to my knowledge?)

I think the real problem is trying to stay relevant and competitive with Unity. There are lots of other platforms now and new SDKs emerging to handle them. Unity may be horrible for Corona's intended audience but it's overwhelmingly popular to the point that it dictates the market in terms of what "free" buys you.

It's interesting to see how the Lua SDK marketplace is evolving though, some old Corona stalwarts moved to Gideros, some of the Corona founders left to build a 2D Javascript engine for Appcelerator, etc.

Tiu Neo

7DaysLeft.png

Hey again guys! Just wanted to share that we just released our game "The Other Brothers" on iOS store!

LINK: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-other-brothers/id618605145?mt=8

Thanks for checking it out!!

Played a bit of it, and liked it. It's funny, the animations are great, and it has some pretty good gameplay ideas. The only thing I didn't like that much where the touch controls, they worked mostly ok, but sometimes felt a bit imprecise, with double button presses and a few dead areas, at least for me. Played using an iPad 2.

Anyway, that's the only kinda negative thing I can say about it, and there's a big chance the Ouya/PC version will fix it. I'll surely recommend this to some of my friends.

Perhaps in Orbit Revolved, rather than using buttons, use a touch as the point the barrier rotates towards? As it is, buttons aren't too quick and make the game seem slow. (Good to see you're still making games with Click products by the way.)

But the entire gameplay plan was that the pieces get faster and you have to get power-ups to get faster, too. Your idea is interesting, but I don't know if I have the time to explore it given my deadline. I kind of need to get through this game real quick so I can start on the final one.

Miutsu

This is what happens when your dev buddy wants to have some fun with the code, I love it and we plan on adding some funny easter eggs in a couple key points of the game.

iQ0krvw.gif

On another note,

I'm thinking of having our game send general stats to my server and then have them displayed on the site. Has anyone done this before using XNA or C#?

Nice, love the whip effect! The background of your level also got my attention, I wanna do a similar "nebula" effect, right now I got Photoshop but I have no idea about how to make an effect like that, any advice would be appreciated :)

cbox

Nice, love the whip effect! The background of your level also got my attention, I wanna do a similar "nebula" effect, right now I got Photoshop but I have no idea about how to make an effect like that, any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks! That whip is actually 14x the regular length, we tried setting it as long as we could before it broke the code but so far so good. As far as the background element, it's super simple.

I used several alpha channel 3d looking objects, and added some lighting effects to it to give a fake 3d look. Textures and patterns and colour adjustments would polish it off. If you'd like a full tutorial, I can try and do a screen capture for you.

Xun

I'm very much considering making a game with Construct 2, but we'll see if I actually go ahead and do it.

I'm only an artist/animator, but I hope this can in some way aid at making something cool.

anyone here work with RPG Maker before. I bought it on sale a few months back... might be using it for a thesis project.

not the best coder, so how deep can I get into it? I'm a Gamemaker and Unity user that uses visual scripting.

Miutsu

Thanks! That whip is actually 14x the regular length, we tried setting it as long as we could before it broke the code but so far so good. As far as the background element, it's super simple.

I used several alpha channel 3d looking objects, and added some lighting effects to it to give a fake 3d look. Textures and patterns and colour adjustments would polish it off. If you'd like a full tutorial, I can try and do a screen capture for you.

Nah, don't worry :) We still got other issues in our hands right now and we are also not completely set yet in what we want to use to populate the background, but thanks a lot!

hitsugi

anyone here work with RPG Maker before. I bought it on sale a few months back... might be using it for a thesis project.

not the best coder, so how deep can I get into it? I'm a Gamemaker and Unity user that uses visual scripting.

Just out of curiosity, why the switch from GameMaker to RPG Maker?

I just released the first Engine demo for my game, Love+.
tumblr_inline_mkuhr0foWf1qz4rgp.gif

Demo's right here.
Blog post's right here.

I really need some bug testers. The old engine had interpolation errors and sound errors. This version has a new smooth camera, wider aspect ratio, and better controller support.

Hee hee, couldn't help myself. Made a control test for a drift game.

Considering how long it took us to get a car driving round at the Sega Racing Studio, it's some sort of miracle that this can be knocked up in an hour or so!

Click for video..

As ever, Unity/Physx rules! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoJqxLzw1SM

son I know you can make good rally games, so make one for iOS pls k thx :p

In fact if you want any 3d modeling done i'm up for a little help, learned 3DSmax at uni a few years ago and know how to model a car or two!

0LIV3I5.png

phantomsnake

Neo Member
Anyone familiar with Unity and the Orthello framework? I've come upon a problem I don't know how to solve. I'm sure it's as easy as setting a collision offset somewhere or something but for now I'm clueless.

If you reference this video, starting at about the 13:50 mark is where he puts the box collider on this character. My problem is that I don't want to set the size of that collider to the exact size of the character to allow some leeway. But if I shrink that collider, then attach the sprite parent and sprite as children, he 'hovers' a short distance above because I resized the collider I guess.

If I explained this well enough, anyone know how to fix it? Ask me for more info if needed, it's kinda tough to explain.

Edit: More specifically, for ground collision to work correctly, my box collider is taller than I need. Is there a way to make it so theres some leeway before collisions with the top of the player happen?

I think you forgot to link the video. :)

I'm actually using Orthello for my game. I like to set up my sprites like this:

- SpriteContainer (empty object)
-- OrthelloSprite (without a collider)
-- ColliderObject (with offset as necessary)

By having the sprite and collider as independent objects you can offset and scale them however you like. Does this help at all?

Edit: Also, if you're using a rigidbody, it would go on the SpriteContainer (any movement of the sprite is done on SpriteContainer).

Demo's right here.
Blog post's right here.

I really need some bug testers. The old engine had interpolation errors and sound errors. This version has a new smooth camera, wider aspect ratio, and better controller support.

Just played through the demo, I love the game.

As far as bugs go:
-On the menu I couldn't use the d-pad, but it worked fine in game.
-the tutorial text placement would sometimes be a bit off screen where I would need to jump to see it
- Occasionally the camera movement would get choppy. It's not game breaking, just occasionally annoying

Other than that it's pretty fantastic.

Dali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoJqxLzw1SM

son I know you can make good rally games, so make one for iOS pls k thx :p

In fact if you want any 3d modeling done i'm up for a little help, learned 3DSmax at uni a few years ago and know how to model a car or two!

0LIV3I5.png

This just reminds me how much shaders and high-res textures and global illumination and normal maps and blah blah blah is overrated. You've got a simple, low-poly model with a low res texture and it looks awesome. Reminds me of Auto Modellista.

This just reminds me how much shaders and high-res textures and global illumination and normal maps and blah blah blah is overrated. You've got a simple, low-poly model with a low res texture and it looks awesome. Reminds me of Auto Modellista.

Heh originally that was the inspiration for a rally game I wanted to make about 4 years ago, however even learning to code and trying unity back when it was a baby, I was unable to get very far :( I was also finishing my final year at uni at the time, another reason for making the model.

I also made an F1 car based off the virtua racing formula design but higher poly, and a few other cars.

phantomsnake

Neo Member

Demo's right here.
Blog post's right here.

I played through the demo. Works great on my PC. I love everything about it! This is going to be a great game for speedrunning. :)

Just out of curiosity, why the switch from GameMaker to RPG Maker?

I havent decided to switch yet, but I may be doing a long episodic storytelling piece for my thesis next year and RPG Maker seemed very story oriented.

I've thought about learning an adventure game engine as well possibly...

ThomasP

Neo Member
Played a bit of it, and liked it. It's funny, the animations are great, and it has some pretty good gameplay ideas. The only thing I didn't like that much where the touch controls, they worked mostly ok, but sometimes felt a bit imprecise, with double button presses and a few dead areas, at least for me. Played using an iPad 2.

Anyway, that's the only kinda negative thing I can say about it, and there's a big chance the Ouya/PC version will fix it. I'll surely recommend this to some of my friends.

Thank you! Well we just implemented some new control options!! So an update with confirmed icade, icontrolpad support, 3 different dpad types, movable buttons/dpad, scalable buttons/dpad coming soon. Note, price will be going up soon as well!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-other-brothers/id618605145?mt=8

Thanks!

BlueMagic

#screenshotsaturday I guess, just for the lulz, because there's nothing particularly exciting happening in the screenshot.
sTW85wc.png

Good news the little engine I'm creating is working fine, nice performance with many objects and allows me to create things such as that bomb quite quickly.

Demo's right here.
Blog post's right here.

I played this and it played great, it was fun as well.

Amooox

Wow guys, the amount of talent in this thread is humbling. I've recently started trying my hand at making games myself, I've started with flash based engines, Flixel and Stencyl. I've even made a couple of demos and a short game. I want to move on to something bigger and better as soon as I have a few games out and I'd also like to use this as an oppurtunity to practice some game design techniques.

I come from a web development background, so I've no lack for programming skills. I have some skilled developers/designers around me too who are as passionate about this as I am. I draw my own pixel art, so assets are not a problem either (at least at this time).

Here's a link to my latest endeavor, I published it on newgrounds and it's received a nice number of views for what it is (a game jam entry made in a few days with limited resources):
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/614497

Here's a snapshot from it to make this post less dull:
tumblr_mkp63xq_VVP1r8ab09o6_1280.png

I hope to get some feedback from gaf but I would also appreciate any advice or ideas on where to go from here.

Uhyve

whats the math behind something like this? (i mean the whiplash)

can you guys gimme some pointers? thanks!
Physx maybe? Looks really nice, count me as another person curious about how you did that ConvenientBox. Seriously, you could base an entire game around that if there was a nice gameplay mechanic behind it... it actually kind of reminds me of Pixeljunk Eden.

Dali

We really need to see a game in this kind of super low simple style, the only thing like it I can think of is notch's upcoming game with the space man thing.

Yeah I'll spend hours scrolling through here. I dunno something just more enjoyable and "gamey" about simple stuff.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I've started development on a freeware 2D survival-horror game, set on a desolate farm and starring a Plague Doctor. Working a unique open development cycle, and currently have the Indiegogo project going to determine size and scale (to help fund assets for the game).

Click the image for the Indiegogo campaign:

(planning to make a better pitch video in the next few days)

Blizzard

Banned
I can't think of any games starring plague doctors off the top of my head. Did Dishonored have any? It's a cool visual, at any rate.

I mentioned this in the UDK thread, but here's my in-progress robot army, created to reteach myself modeling, material, texture, skeleton, rigging, and animation techniques in Blender, imported into the UDK via FBX.

robarmyqij9c.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huYC1cQghNk

One of the next things I need to look at is see if I can take the performance hit down to some reasonable level by making the shadows crappy, or getting rid of them, or whatever. I'm trying to see whether it's feasible to have thousands of animated units on screen.

Zenaku

Blizzard, what kind of polygons do the robots have? Are they just plain boxes, or do they have unneeded detail anywhere?

If they have more detail than they show then toning it down, or even having just a lower poly version for robots far from the camera, might help. Don't know what hardware your using, or how much power shadows need in UDK though.

Didn't know Saturday was for showing screens, but here's something I've been working on.

PVZBAvr.png

Lack of shadows in Unity hurts the negligible detail I put into the trees, but but vegetation system creating the grass is mostly complete, as is the minimap system in the top right corner.

Blizzard

Banned
Blizzard, what kind of polygons do the robots have? Are they just plain boxes, or do they have unneeded detail anywhere?

If they have more detail than they show then toning it down, or even having just a lower poly version for robots far from the camera, might help. Don't know what hardware your using, or how much power shadows need in UDK though.

As far as I know, UE3/UDK sucks and has kind of always sucked for dynamic shadows. I was hoping UE4 would have better dynamic lighting, but it sounds like it may have been removed. :p

The robots are pure basic boxes. Rendering the robots without the boxes seems fine or at least doable with this number of robots, but performance dropped noticeably with the dynamic shadows. I'm going to first experiment with adding physical assets to the meshes and then go from there.

Zenaku

Didn't know it downright sucked for shadows. What kind of options does it have? Can you lower the draw distance for them, or the resolution they use? Maybe try making the robots shadeless even.

Hope you can get it running well with a huge robot army.

Anustart

I think you forgot to link the video. :)

I'm actually using Orthello for my game. I like to set up my sprites like this:

- SpriteContainer (empty object)
-- OrthelloSprite (without a collider)
-- ColliderObject (with offset as necessary)

By having the sprite and collider as independent objects you can offset and scale them however you like. Does this help at all?

Edit: Also, if you're using a rigidbody, it would go on the SpriteContainer (any movement of the sprite is done on SpriteContainer).

Whoops I did forget the link! Out of town now so i m using my phone, will edit a link in tomorrow when I get home.

Also, I'm setting my sprite up exactly as you are it seems. Though sitting here now and replying I think I know the solution, will let you know when I try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom