• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart

I didn't look at the scripts for very long, but are you taking into account that loading a scene destroys all GameObjects that arent flagged with DontDestroyOnLoad?

I'll look into it but nothing from the game is loaded then.

I'm pulling my hair out. This project is due Tuesday along with a more polished version of my last project. This time though it was a group project, otherwise known as 1 student does all the work and 3 get credit.

Guys I'm "working" with have done absolutely nothing. I knew I was screwed when it was assigned as one of my team presented a picture of what his game would have been like had he actually made it for his last project.

phantomsnake

Neo Member
I'll look into it but nothing from the game is loaded then.

I'm pulling my hair out. This project is due Tuesday along with a more polished version of my last project. This time though it was a group project, otherwise known as 1 student does all the work and 3 get credit.

Guys I'm "working" with have done absolutely nothing. I knew I was screwed when it was assigned as one of my team presented a picture of what his game would have been like had he actually made it for his last project.

That sucks, man. :(

I took a quick look at your scripts. I'm assuming all your Orthello objects are created at design time and not run time? That usually makes things easier.

You can try adding code to wait for Orthello to initialize before you start any animations:

while (!OT.isValid || !OT.ContainersReady())
{
yield return null;
}

// set flag here so you know you can use Orthello objects

Orthello has also recently introduced the "passive" sprites feature which, I believe, attempts to offload some of the sprite update logic to a single object. Maybe this isn't working correctly. See if you can turn off passive mode on your sprites. There's some more info here.

GulAtiCa

Pretty fun, but once you hit level 5 its impossible, right? Like I mean I'm not meant to live at that point, huh?

edit:

haha level 8! That's actually a pretty great game you got there.
Thanks! Though a prototype and a stepping stone to learning new stuff, this type of game been in my heads for years from a similar Android game I once liked.

The every 5lvs thing (made it so those are little harder, as they spawn fast), I just reduced that, so they still spawn fast but not as fast as I had it yesterday.

On my first game got to level 11, then got slaughtered. Fun game though
Yeah, after numerous attempts I cannot pass level 11.

Nice! Seems I can get as far as 10 before I get destroyed. haha. Game still needs to be balanced, seems a little on the hard side now. Though, this does give me an idea for different difficulty levels.

I'll add leaderboards soon. I recently increased the "Fast" button, so the game will speed on by.

Anustart

That sucks, man. :(

I took a quick look at your scripts. I'm assuming all your Orthello objects are created at design time and not run time? That usually makes things easier.

You can try adding code to wait for Orthello to initialize before you start any animations:

Orthello has also recently introduced the "passive" sprites feature which, I believe, attempts to offload some of the sprite update logic to a single object. Maybe this isn't working correctly. See if you can turn off passive mode on your sprites. There's some more info here.

Tried messing with passive and couldn't find anything. It's like the animations are just gone, I tried to force another frame to display by using ShowFrame(4) to have it show the 4th frame at all times, but still nothing.

The code in the block is getting called as I debug.log'd it, but ShowFrame on my OTAnimatingSprite doesn't change the frame.

Edit: Debug.Logging OT.isValid and OT.ContainersReady() both return true during this as well.

phantomsnake

Neo Member
Tried messing with passive and couldn't find anything. It's like the animations are just gone, I tried to force another frame to display by using ShowFrame(4) to have it show the 4th frame at all times, but still nothing.

The code in the block is getting called as I debug.log'd it, but ShowFrame on my OTAnimatingSprite doesn't change the frame.

Edit: Debug.Logging OT.isValid and OT.ContainersReady() both return true during this as well.

I don't know what else to suggest, sorry. :( I don't think it's your code. Sometimes Orthello acts strange, especially with initializing objects. You could try posting in the Orthello thread over at the Unity forums or emailing the developer directly. He's usually very helpful.

I like it, there is just one thing I think you could do to help the randomness of pieces appearing behind the player bumper and that would be some kind of early warning notice, I think it might help keep the faster gameplay at the end more fair.

Your call of course :)

That might be tough to do, at least the way I'm thinking of it, because how bad MMF is at object instancing.

Anustart

I don't know what else to suggest, sorry. :( I don't think it's your code. Sometimes Orthello acts strange, especially with initializing objects. You could try posting in the Orthello thread over at the Unity forums or emailing the developer directly. He's usually very helpful.

I passed the code off to one of the guys in my group, he tried something and it worked.

Wasn't my code, he replaced the OTAnimatingSprite.cs with a newer version and bam, worked.

Spine is pretty great.

I dunno if its been mentioned but Photonstorm (of Flixel Power Tools fame) published a heavily Flixel inspired HTML5 game library. I've had a few plays with it and it's pretty solid, even at version 0.7. It's called Phaser and you can get it on github.

Blizzard

Banned
What would you say the best engine would be for an mobile Infinity blade style game?
UDK is free, supports mobile targets, and UE3 (same/similar engine, possibly with added features) was used to make Infinity Blade, so that's one option. It has a learning curve though.

desu

I wonder what 3d package for asset creation people here use for their (commercial) projects?

I've been playing around with stuff in Unity/Cryengine and I won't get around creating my own assets. I still have my Autodesk 2012 Student Suite which would be perfectly fine for my personal projects since I won't make money with them (or release them). However I just checked the upgrade price to a commercial version of my suite today and I almost fell off my chair as the price seems to have doubled/tripled from two years ago. At least in 2012 prices where around a little more of what a Unity Pro licence costs today (with VAT) which I would have payed if I ever were to do something commercially. However these new prices are pretty insane to me.

Xun

That looks great.

Looks nice!

Clicking my image above will take you to the latest build, with my uni deadline looming I've started polishing things like the UI. Still have a lot of things to finish but I'm ahead of my own schedule. Tell me what you guys think!

Oh I should say that the only menu button that works is Start Game and that the goal is to collect the love letters.

This looks awesome. It reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it.
Thanks guys! It's been a lot of fun working on the game so far.

Also nice game so far Kamaki!

Globox_82

Banned
I should really try getting back into programming, but the problem is you really need to dedicate yourself. It's risky. But this thread motivates me.

CengizMan

I didn't know this thread even existed! So I've been learning GML (Game Maker Language) the past five months and have made a game called Magnact. It's my first video game and, even though it's a pretty simple one, I am quite proud of it! Quite coincidental, I actually just created a page for it today on IndieDB. I am pretty unfamiliar with the website, but I don't mind, since I just wanted to share the game with others.

You can find it here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/magnact

Would love to hear what you think of the game if you try it out! Be warned though, it is a pretty challenging game!

There is some AMAZING stuff in this thread by the way! I will keep an eye out for more posts in this thread.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I wonder what 3d package for asset creation people here use for their (commercial) projects?

I've been playing around with stuff in Unity/Cryengine and I won't get around creating my own assets. I still have my Autodesk 2012 Student Suite which would be perfectly fine for my personal projects since I won't make money with them (or release them). However I just checked the upgrade price to a commercial version of my suite today and I almost fell off my chair as the price seems to have doubled/tripled from two years ago. At least in 2012 prices where around a little more of what a Unity Pro licence costs today (with VAT) which I would have payed if I ever were to do something commercially. However these new prices are pretty insane to me.

I haven't done any 3D stuff, but what about Blender?

desu

The last time I tried Blender (well a couple of years ago) it was just annoying and shit, heard it got better though.

Dali

The last time I tried Blender (well a couple of years ago) it was just annoying and shit, heard it got better though.

It was clunky as hell when I stepped back into trygin 3d modelling earlier this year. I was coming from Lightwave. Felt like whatever I wanted to do I could easily move and manipulate whatever I wanted with the shortcuts in Lightwave. Still don't feel that way with Blender, but it's gotten better the more I use it.

Dali

I didn't know this thread even existed! So I've been learning GML (Game Maker Language) the past five months and have made a game called Magnact. It's my first video game and, even though it's a pretty simple one, I am quite proud of it! Quite coincidental, I actually just created a page for it today on IndieDB. I am pretty unfamiliar with the website, but I don't mind, since I just wanted to share the game with others.

You can find it here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/magnact

Would love to hear what you think of the game if you try it out! Be warned though, it is a pretty challenging game!

There is some AMAZING stuff in this thread by the way! I will keep an eye out for more posts in this thread.

Omg i died 18 times before I killed fat guy. Nice little game. Controls are very nice as well.

phantomsnake

Neo Member
I passed the code off to one of the guys in my group, he tried something and it worked.

Wasn't my code, he replaced the OTAnimatingSprite.cs with a newer version and bam, worked.

That's great! :)

I started to dip my hand in game development recently. Mostly with HTML5 stuff currently, before I try my hand at Unity/etc. Just a simple tower defense type of game. In fact, really nothing about it is original. Just using it as a stepping stone before I try something more original/challenging/creative. I have a few graphics/sound effects in place.

Space Defense (works best in latest version of Chrome/Firefox)

I have a few ideas floating in my head of what I might want to create. Platformer game and physics puzzle game come to mind. I'll prob start simple with a platformer game before I do the other, as a way to introduce myself to a physics engine first.

Farthest I could get is level 11 with all cloud turrets. The game feels really well balanced. It's a lot of fun!

Blizzard

Banned
Blender can do a ton of stuff and controls can be customized too. The downside of customizing controls too much is that tutorial videos won't apply in terms of controls, though.

But until you've learned techniques for doing things, just trying to figure out how to do something blindly from the user interface can be super non-obvious.

Blizzard

Banned
Maybe try making the robots shadeless even.

Hope you can get it running well with a huge robot army.
robarmy416l0e.png

They're unlit and using most every optimization I can find besides sprites. And I want to try sprites too, I just don't have it working yet. :p

This is 2048 robots, though they're grouped together to optimize the draw calls. This is hopefully good enough to make some sort of game with, though I half dread the performance hit that will come with actually doing anything besides animating and rendering.

ikkei

This happened to me too, recently. Autodesk product prices for the EU are so insulting. Max is around 3500$ for the US, while we must pay for it 6000€ + taxes, 7800 euros, which would put it around 10.000$. Incredible.

I'm giving Cinema 4D a try, it's the most popular program after the Autodesk ones, and it has all the features you could expect with the exception of retopo tools (Topogun costs 100$ so it's not a problem by any means). The core version costs 700 + taxes. I hope it can export animations correctly to UDK :S

Blizzard

Banned
Side note, not to pimp Blender too much since it does have a learning curve, but not only are there lots of tutorials and a helpful IRC channel, but also the Blender -> FBX -> UDK export route actually seems to work pretty well now. I'm importing models, UV maps, textures, materials, skeletons, rigging, and an animation sequence all automatically without the need to manually adjust any of it right now.

Now obviously my model is ultra simple so I can't speak to what problems complicated models might have, but it's still nice. I also want to learn how to put multiple animation sequences in the same Blender file so they show up as multiple AnimSet options in the UDK.

Dali

Farthest I could get is level 11 with all cloud turrets. The game feels really well balanced. It's a lot of fun!

Hmm... so the cloud turrets was the secret. I ignored them because they were so cheap. After using them I'm not sure why you'd use sentries over the clouds. Made it to 10 with a mixture. That's the best I've done and I'm sure its solely because of the clouds.

Side note, not to pimp Blender too much since it does have a learning curve, but not only are there lots of tutorials and a helpful IRC channel, but also the Blender -> FBX -> UDK export route actually seems to work pretty well now. I'm importing models, UV maps, textures, materials, skeletons, rigging, and an animation sequence all automatically without the need to manually adjust any of it right now.

Now obviously my model is ultra simple so I can't speak to what problems complicated models might have, but it's still nice. I also want to learn how to put multiple animation sequences in the same Blender file so they show up as multiple AnimSet options in the UDK.

Yeah blender to unity is pretty stream lined as well.

desu

This happened to me too, recently. Autodesk product prices for the EU are so insulting. Max is around 3500$ for the US, while we must pay for it 6000€ + taxes, 7800 euros, which would put it around 10.000$. Incredible.

I'm giving Cinema 4D a try, it's the most popular program after the Autodesk ones, and it has all the features you could expect with the exception of retopo tools (Topogun costs 100$ so it's not a problem by any means). The core version costs 700 + taxes. I hope it can export animations correctly to UDK :S

Yeah when I googled a bit today, I found out that Autodesk/Adobe seem to rip off everyone outside of the USA, apparently charging up to 170%+ of the $ price. A real bummer :|.

Checked other commercial programms and C4D seems to be the only one between Blender and the Autodesk stuff like 3ds Max / Maya.

GulAtiCa

I fixed up my game a little, little fixes here and there. Also added a leaderboard to it.

http://games.gregthegamer.com/towerdefense/

Hmm... so the cloud turrets was the secret. I ignored them because they were so cheap. After using them I'm not sure why you'd use sentries over the clouds. Made it to 10 with a mixture. That's the best I've done and I'm sure its solely because of the clouds.

Yeah, I made them a little too powerful beforehand. lol. I altered their power/etc slightly.

Anustart

Any idea how I can properly instantiate Orthello objects? And for some reason their site says we can use CreateSpriteAt but I have no such method of OT.

In testing, if I use OT.CreateSprite(prototype name)

It creates the object, but the texture seems to be missing as all I get is a white box.

Edit:

I fixed up my game a little, little fixes here and there. Also added a leaderboard to it.

Might wanna fix the leaderboard :D Score doesn't reset (for me at least) after dying. So I just kept climbing higher.

phantomsnake

Neo Member

http://games.gregthegamer.com/towerdefense/

Yeah, I made them a little too powerful beforehand. lol. I altered their power/etc slightly.

Nooo, the cloud turrets! The game is so much harder now. :p

Any idea how I can properly instantiate Orthello objects? And for some reason their site says we can use CreateSpriteAt but I have no such method of OT.

In testing, if I use OT.CreateSprite(prototype name)

It creates the object, but the texture seems to be missing as all I get is a white box.

CreateSpriteAt was added in the latest version, but you should be able to use CreateSprite.

What are you using for "prototype name"? Passing in OTObjectType.Sprite will give you an empty sprite. You then have to set the spriteContainer on the sprite before you can display a specific frame from the container.

Anustart

Nooo, the cloud turrets! The game is so much harder now. :p

CreateSpriteAt was added in the latest version, but you should be able to use CreateSprite.

What are you using for "prototype name"? Passing in OTObjectType.Sprite will give you an empty sprite. You then have to set the spriteContainer on the sprite before you can display a specific frame from the container.

Passing in a prototype of my object which is circular, and when its created theres just a white circle in the exact size of the object.

Edit: And yet another problem! Woo!

I have two sprites, if I add a RigidBody and/or Box Collider to them, Save scene, save project, hit play, exit, Bam, box collider and/or rigidbody deleted from the items. I cannot get these to stick on these.... :/

phantomsnake

Neo Member
Passing in a prototype of my object which is circular, and when its created theres just a white circle in the exact size of the object.

Edit: And yet another problem! Woo!

I have two sprites, if I add a RigidBody and/or Box Collider to them, Save scene, save project, hit play, exit, Bam, box collider and/or rigidbody deleted from the items. I cannot get these to stick on these.... :/

I don't know about the first issue, sorry. I haven't used the shapes functionality of Orthello. :\

The second issue might be caused by Orthello trying to manage the physics on the sprites itself (that is, if you are adding the Rigidbody and collider directly to the sprite objects). You could try setting the Physics property on the sprites to Custom. Or even better, add an empty parent container object for each sprite and add the physics components there instead of on the Orthello sprites.

Feep

Banned
All right. Finally stopped being a bitch and sat down with Unity.

It is, in fact, easier than I expected. Within a couple hours, I downloaded a sample mesh/texture set from the store, dropped it in the scene, lit it, added a skybox, and wrote a couple demo scripts that move and change the color of the light.

To come: input, animation, shaders, billboarded sprites, and UI elements. >.>

Dislike: no in-Unity code editor? I hate having to switch windows.

LIKE: Public variables are exposed in the component editor for easy modification? Awesome!

LIKE: Shaders are easy as fuck to apply. Grabbed the sample Toon Shader and just applied it to the texture material.

Feep

Banned
Are you going to build ECHO with Unity?
I'd really prefer to stick to MonoGame, but because the characters are going full 3-D, I'm quite worried about some more advanced features like animation blending and whatnot. Unity DOES have some good stuff like NavMesh support that would help me, as well.

Still not convinced. I'm gonna do a 3-D animation test in XNA/MonoGame and see what it's like. I do feel like I should get with the future, though...there's a good probability I'm going to remain the only programmer on the project.

missile

I'd really prefer to stick to MonoGame, but because the characters are going full 3-D, I'm quite worried about some more advanced features like animation blending and whatnot. Unity DOES have some good stuff like NavMesh support that would help me, as well.

Still not convinced. I'm gonna do a 3-D animation test in XNA/MonoGame and see what it's like. I do feel like I should get with the future, though...there's a good probability I'm going to remain the only programmer on the project.
Don't know about Unity, but NavMeshes look good to some extend. But it seems
the algorithm behind is only useful for static levels, since (from what I've
read) it requires some user-driven clean-up steps to eliminate all the false
positives.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

It is, in fact, easier than I expected. Within a couple hours, I downloaded a sample mesh/texture set from the store, dropped it in the scene, lit it, added a skybox, and wrote a couple demo scripts that move and change the color of the light.

LIKE: Public variables are exposed in the component editor for easy modification? Awesome!

LIKE: Shaders are easy as fuck to apply. Grabbed the sample Toon Shader and just applied it to the texture material.
I'm looking forward to your impressions

razu

The public variables are wicked. Double wicked is making a public reference to a component and being able to drag a game object that has that component type and it all just magically works. Then there's the super powerful AnimationCurves for when you want to make something bounce, just set a public curve and edit it, sample over time... instant editable 'bounce' for things like menu transitions, etc...

Unity is a SUPER productive environment once you get into it.

JulianImp

It's good to have you aboard the Unity bandwagon! I can't say much of other 3D engines (only used stuff like AS3 or GameMaker previously), but Unity has been a godsend for me when it comes to rapid prototyping and iteration.

It gets even better: You can keep variables private and still have them show in the inspector by writing "[SerializeField]" (yeah, in brackets) before "private". As in "[SerializeField] private int someIntVar;". Property encapsulation and editor utilities in one simple stroke!

By the way, I attended a local Game Jam last weekend with human rights as its theme. It was the first time I attended a Game Jam, and it was an awesome experience.

Our game was about a blind person who has to cross a particularily wide and congested Buenos Aires street, aided only by sounds and a second player on a separate computer, who plays the role of a dog, and can bark at the blind person to guide him/her.

The game absolutely requires two people playing it on separate screens with earphones or surround sound to be played properly, but I might upload a slightly fixed version soon for you guys to play.

The team's two musicians/sound technicians did an awesome job looking up and fixing SFX (such as by normalizing them or creating loopable files out of them), and a pair of 3D/2D artists showed up to save the day later on day 1 and throughout day 2, since our only 3D artist at the time had no computer to work on (it was her first jam and she thought they'd already have pre-equipped computers in place for her to use, sadly).

It isn't much, but I'm surprised at what our team was able to do in under sixteen hours, since the jam was held at a convention hall which opened at 10 AM on both days and had us go out at about 7 PM. Up to now I had never thought building prototypes this fast was even possible (and I'm glad I was proven wrong about that!).

Zenaku

Latest robot test. 2048 animated robots, but cheating using combined skeletal meshes. Make sure to set it to 720p on YouTube. It may still look ugly, but maybe it will improve slightly after some processing time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1T8uYThpo

Nice to see so many. I wouldn't worry about "cheating"; saving processing power wherever possible is the first step of optimizing.

I'm on an optimization spree myself at the moment. I've rewritten pretty much all my scripts, including the one I was using for grass. It was using about 30-40% of my i5 just to produce the grass (about 30-35 models per tile, around 30-50 tiles within draw distance), so the new script will create a single grass model to fill the tiles, and instead of keeping track of the distance between each tile and the player, it'll use a large invisible sphere around the player as a trigger, reducing the cpu usage to below 1% or so. My new grass is animated, so keeping CPU usage down is critical...

Looking at the video, personally, I'd probably set the robots up to disable their animations or switch them with even simpler blue boxes (with no heads/arms/skeletons) until they're close enough to see. Unity also lets you completely disable objects from functioning/animating when not in the cameras view (but it keeps track of position) so if UDK can do anything like that it could be useful to bring some extra perfomance.

khaaan

Anybody care to shoot me some advice?

I decided to get into XNA a little while ago just because C# is friendly enough. After many tutorials, trials, and idea reworking I finally felt comfortable to move ahead but then of course Microsoft announces that they are no longer actively being developed for or will have complete support with Windows 8. I'm a bit bummed because it feels like all my work was for naught so I was wondering what my best alternative would be. Unity looks pretty attractive but I've always been a bit wary of it. How much control am I given at a coding level? I know it's not the case but looking at it from the outside, it always looked like a really fancy Gamemaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom