• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Is the iOS and Android license not very useful without Unity Pro (or iOS/Android Unity Pro or whatnot)? Like Rift DLL interaction not working without Unity Pro?"

The main limitations you'd have with using the mobile licenses without Unity Pro are no static batching and no profiler.

bkw

Wow. Might be time to take another serious look at Unity. I'm still using Cocos2d-iphone right now, but I eventually want to get my game onto Android as well. Anyone make this switch before? How difficult was it? I get the inkling that I'll be fighting with Unity when it comes to 3d vs 2d.

Wow. Might be time to take another serious look at Unity. I'm still using Cocos2d-iphone right now, but I eventually want to get my game onto Android as well. Anyone make this switch before? How difficult was it? I get the inkling that I'll be fighting with Unity when it comes to 3d vs 2d.

Unity looks like a great, great tool. But like all frameworks it seems to be geared towards specific kind of games.

I've been trying to give it a change for a long while but really can't get into it or the ugly tool or the awful language it uses. Plus I know I'll never create high quality 3D assets so it doesn't seem to be geared at me, the only big plus I see in it is the multiplatform export but it seems you can already do that with cocos2d right?

Feep

Banned
Unity looks like a great, great tool. But like all frameworks it seems to be geared towards specific kind of games.

I've been trying to give it a change for a long while but really can't get into it or the ugly tool or the awful language it uses. Plus I know I'll never create high quality 3D assets so it doesn't seem to be geared at me, the only big plus I see in it is the multiplatform export but it seems you can already do that with cocos2d right?
You like neither JavaScript nor C#?

olympia

Hey, I've posted in this thread before, but if someone needs an extra artist to handle a couple of graphics, I'm available this summer.

If you need someone to draw props, backgrounds or any other assets I'd love to help. I can do 3D work as well, but I'm trying to expand my 2D portfolio for game development. I can do pixel art.

You can see some of my work at: http://www.behance.net/missoly

Hey, I've posted in this thread before, but if someone needs an extra artist to handle a couple of graphics, I'm available this summer.

If you need someone to draw props, backgrounds or any other assets I'd love to help. I can do 3D work as well, but I'm trying to expand my 2D portfolio for game development. I can do pixel art.

A lot of these are pretty good. I'd love some help but I'm far away from a point to actually build better assets.

GulAtiCa

I pretty much completed my first level of my game. Currently calling it "Super Kitty Cat". :lol

I plan on making 5 levels and have each be harder and harder then the previous level as well as to use/show off the different things I've learned and created (like moving platforms, enemies, etc). Already have the 2nd level drawn out, just need to add it into the game and then do the next 3 levels.

The game isn't that exciting or really doesn't stand out, but I'm proud of what I've been able to do so far. Think I'll try for the "mark it hard/challenging" route.

I'll prob try porting it to Android next, just to figure out how all that works. Won't actually submit it of course. Would want to make this a full fledged game before I try to make this fully available.

"Never used Boo before, are you allowed to use it in a Pythonesque way?"

I don't use Boo, personally (or Python), so I couldn't say for sure. What do you mean by Pythonesque?

Bollocks

So, any chance to fake dynamic lighting with Basic Unity?

I have a first person view and want to give the player a torch to illuminate his immediate surrounding for the sake of exploring.

I thought about raycasting a sphere, check which polygons are inside the sphere and brighten up the relevant texture parts of it? I know shadows will not work that way and will be very ghetto, but I'm okay with that.
I just want to know if that's a feasible idea or if there's a better approach to it?

JulianImp

So, any chance to fake dynamic lighting with Basic Unity?

I have a first person view and want to give the player a torch to illuminate his immediate surrounding for the sake of exploring.

I thought about raycasting a sphere, check which polygons are inside the sphere and brighten up the relevant texture parts of it? I know shadows will not work that way and will be very ghetto, but I'm okay with that.
I just want to know if that's a feasible idea or if there's a better approach to it?

Dynamic lights are in Unity free. You just don't get dynamic shadows.

EDIT: Unity Basic also has a shador projector as part of one of its default package libraries (I think it was the Lighting package), but that's only good for rendering simple stuff such as blob shadows.

You do have to watch out because every dynamic light within an object's range will try to light it up using pixel shading, but once the allocated "Pixel lights per object" have run out, all further lights will be rendered onto that object using vertex shaders. You can set the maximum number of pixel lights that can affect an object at once from the Player Settings, with you can get to by clicking on File -> Build, and then clicking on the pop-up window's "Player Settings" button on the lower-left part of the screen (in Windows, since I think the MacOS version of Unity has the Build option in some other menu like the apple icon). Vertex lights are way, way worse than pixel lights since they calculate lighting points per each vertex in the model, and the lighting values are interpolated between each of them; so far, I've never seen anything that actually looked good with vertex shaders and using one of Unity's default materials/shaders.

"Never used Boo before, are you allowed to use it in a Pythonesque way?"

I don't use Boo, personally (or Python), so I couldn't say for sure. What do you mean by Pythonesque?

A lot of languages look like other syntactically, but don't actually have all the features. In the case of python I would say decorators, first class functions, generators, list comprehensions, etc.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
My stats while playing through the game for umpteenth time for testing:

IRDCxtg.png

Dynamite Shikoku

I like you and I like your game but please pick a different font = (

www.dafont.com for fun times

You don't like both of those? The one that I'm using there for the actual stats I was originally just using to display the timer in the levels cause of its digital look, and just ended up using it here as well for convenience. It is kinda crumby for text though. Any suggestions for something simple?

Feep

Banned
You don't like both of those? The one that I'm using there for the actual stats I was originally just using to display the timer in the levels cause of its digital look, and just ended up using it here as well for convenience. It is kinda crumby for text though. Any suggestions for something simple?
The future one is a little "OMG LOOK IT'S THE FUTURE RIGHT?" to me, but it's not that bad...if you use it, cut down on that glow by at least 50%.

The other is really rough, and there are so many good sans sarif fonts on that site...Code, Revolution, Abeat, I dunno. 1001fonts.com is also good.

Dynamite Shikoku

Alright, cheers. That glow is actually fading in and out and just got snapped at the max opacity. It looks a lot smaller on the iPhone screen too.

Been a little sloppy with my game lately but after playing blood dragon I made an optional, more tv looking filter for my game if you wish to use it :p

2FTXOji.png

Right now you can have zero filters, a basic one with very faint edges or this one which is suppose to look like a tube tv.

Crateria!

Dynamite Shikoku

Hey unity people, I've got a question about the physics engine.
In my current game I'm using box2d for the physics, and I'm using a contact listener to check for collisions before they happen so that I can change the restitution of the platforms before the character actually touches them (depending if it's coming from above or from the side).
From what im seeing, it doesn't look like unity's physics has this kind of pre-collision detection. Is that right? Would I have to use a seperate trigger to do something like that?

JulianImp

Hey unity people, I've got a question about the physics engine.
In my current game I'm using box2d for the physics, and I'm using a contact listener to check for collisions before they happen so that I can change the restitution of the platforms before the character actually touches them (depending if it's coming from above or from the side).
From what im seeing, it doesn't look like unity's physics has this kind of pre-collision detection. Is that right? Would I have to use a seperate trigger to do something like that?

I've never used any physics engine outside of Unity's default one, and in it you'd have to manually check where the collision was happening. It can still be done fairly simply, like:

Code:
	private void OnCollisionEnter(Collision collision) {
		Vector2 distance;
		Vector2 absoluteDistance;

int numberOfContacts = collision.contacts.Length;
		for (int i = 0; i < numberOfContacts; i++) {
			distance = collision.contacts[i].point - transform.position;
			absoluteDistance = new Vector2(distance.x,distance.y);

if (absoluteDistance.x > absoluteDistance.y) {
				if (distance.x > 0) Debug.Log("Collision #" + i + " to the right");
				else                Debug.Log("Collision #" + i + " to the left");
			}
			else {
				if (distance.y > 0) Debug.Log("Collision #" + i + " over");
				else                Debug.Log("Collision #" + i + " under");
			}
		}
	}

This is just an example, and it's worth noting that the algorithm would mistake collisions where distance.x equals distance.y as simply being vertical collisions, so you'd have to sort out how you want the game to behave in these kind of cases. Also, if you wanted constant position checking, you'd have to change this event to OnCollisionStay.

The alternative of using triggers is also there, where you simply place non-overlapping trigger box colliders on top, below and to the sides of the character and assign each of them control over a boolean value. You'd probably have to make them cover the character's width for vertical colliders and the height for horizontal ones, and whenever the character collides with anything it'd have to check which flags are on.

An extra thing you could do for that approach would be to have each trigger remember a list of GameObjects it's colliding against (adding them to the list OnTriggerEnter and removing them OnTriggerExit), and on the Player's OnCollisionEnter or Stay you'd simply check the list that belongs to each flag that's on against collision.gameObject (this would certainly be suboptimal for checking every frame in the OnCollisionStay event, though). This way, you'd see that the collision object from the player's event belongs to the BottomTrigger, for example, and then handle the physics and/or animations accordingly.

I hope you find this helpful. I'm not a programming guru by any means, so the code or algorithms I think up could be suboptimal at times, so make sure to think it over and see if you can find any better solutions using mine as a starting point.

Dynamite Shikoku

I've never used any physics engine outside of Unity's default one, and in it you'd have to manually check where the collision was happening. It can still be done fairly simply, like:

Code:
	private void OnCollisionEnter(Collision collision) {
		Vector2 distance;
		Vector2 absoluteDistance;

int numberOfContacts = collision.contacts.Length;
		for (int i = 0; i < numberOfContacts; i++) {
			distance = collision.contacts[i].point - transform.position;
			absoluteDistance = new Vector2(distance.x,distance.y);

if (absoluteDistance.x > absoluteDistance.y) {
				if (distance.x > 0) Debug.Log("Collision #" + i + " to the right");
				else                Debug.Log("Collision #" + i + " to the left");
			}
			else {
				if (distance.y > 0) Debug.Log("Collision #" + i + " over");
				else                Debug.Log("Collision #" + i + " under");
			}
		}
	}

This is just an example, and it's worth noting that the algorithm would mistake collisions where distance.x equals distance.y as simply being vertical collisions, so you'd have to sort out how you want the game to behave in these kind of cases. Also, if you wanted constant position checking, you'd have to change this event to OnCollisionStay.

But this would be checking positions after the collision began, which wouldn't be useful for what I wanted to do.
I think it could be done with triggers, but it would be a bit of a pain. I mean, I probably won't have to do this anyway. I'm going to finish the game as it is. I just thought it might be a good exercise to try to recreate the same game mechanics in unity.
I'll download unity some time and have a play around and see what I can do. Thanks.

JulianImp

But this would be checking positions after the collision began, which wouldn't be useful for what I wanted to do.
I think it could be done with triggers, but it would be a bit of a pain. I mean, I probably won't have to do this anyway. I'm going to finish the game as it is. I just thought it might be a good exercise to try to recreate the same game mechanics in unity.
I'll download unity some time and have a play around and see what I can do. Thanks.

Actually OnTrigger/CollisionEnter are always checked right as collisions begin, before any OnCollisionStay events are fired. It'd also be really useful if you'd let me know what you're intending to do, since most of the time you can't create a catch-all answer to all kinds of physics interactions.

Also, I just remembered that Unity's CharacterController (which is part of one of its default packages) has some isGrounded boolean... perhaps you could check the CharacterController code to see how it determins the value for isGrounded and use a similar implementation to check for the sides and the top of the character.

Dynamite Shikoku

Actually OnTrigger/CollisionEnter are always checked right as collisions begin, before any OnCollisionStay events are fired. It'd also be really useful if you'd let me know what you're intending to do, since most of the time you can't create a catch-all answer to all kinds of physics interactions.

Also, I just remembered that Unity's CharacterController (which is part of one of its default packages) has some isGrounded boolean... perhaps you could check the CharacterController code to see how it determins the value for isGrounded and use a similar implementation to check for the sides and the top of the character.

I'm not actually interested in getting the collision direction, I was just wondering if unity had collision events like box2d, which basically goes:

Presolve
Contact begins
Contact
Contact ends
Postsolve

In the presolve event you can see that your objects are about to collide, so you can do things like cancel the collision or, as I said above, change the restitution of the object (I have my character glide along the tops of platforms , but bounce off the sides)

JulianImp

I'm not actually interested in getting the collision direction, I was just wondering if unity had collision events like box2d, which basically goes:

Presolve
Contact begins
Contact
Contact ends
Postsolve

In the presolve event you can see that your objects are about to collide, so you can do things like cancel the collision or, as I said above, change the restitution of the object (I have my character glide along the tops of platforms , but bounce off the sides)

Ah, now I get what you were asking about... I think there're no pre- or postsolve events in Unity (although you can kind of do presolve checks on your own), so here's how Box2D events would probably work in Unity:

Presolve: Not supported intrinsecally, but you can check for possible collisions between a Rigidbody and other colliders by using Rigidbody.SweepTest or Rigidbody.SweepTestAll before moving them on the FixedUpdate event. This is the same as calling Physics.Raycast for every vertex in an object's model according to the Unity script reference manual, so you could use Physics.Raycast to check movement collisions for objects that don't have Rigidbody components attached to them.
Contact begins: OnTriggerEnter and/or OnCollisionEnter methods are called automatically, with an optional parameter that receives Collider data (for Trigger events) or a Collision object, which contains collision points and some extra information (for Collision events).
Contact: OnTriggerStay and/or OnCollisionStay methods are called automatically, with an optional parameter that receives Collider data (for Trigger events) or a Collision object, which contains collision points and some extra information (for Collision events).
Contact ends: OnTriggerExit and/or OnCollisionExit methods are called automatically, with an optional parameter that receives Collider data (for Trigger events) or a Collision object, which contains collision points and some extra information (for Collision events).
Postsolve: None, as far as I can tell.

Dynamite Shikoku

Ah, now I get what you were asking about... I think there're no pre- or postsolve events in Unity (although you can kind of do presolve checks on your own), so here's how Box2D events would probably work in Unity:

Presolve: Not supported intrinsecally, but you can check for possible collisions between a Rigidbody and other colliders by using Rigidbody.SweepTest or Rigidbody.SweepTestAll before moving them on the FixedUpdate event. This is the same as calling Physics.Raycast for every vertex in an object's model according to the Unity script reference manual, so you could use Physics.Raycast to check movement collisions for objects that don't have Rigidbody components attached to them.
Contact begins: OnTriggerEnter and/or OnCollisionEnter methods are called automatically, with an optional parameter that receives Collider data (for Trigger events) or a Collision object, which contains collision points and some extra information (for Collision events).
Contact: OnTriggerStay and/or OnCollisionStay methods are called automatically, with an optional parameter that receives Collider data (for Trigger events) or a Collision object, which contains collision points and some extra information (for Collision events).
Contact ends: OnTriggerExit and/or OnCollisionExit methods are called automatically, with an optional parameter that receives Collider data (for Trigger events) or a Collision object, which contains collision points and some extra information (for Collision events).
Postsolve: None, as far as I can tell.

Ah sweeptest looks like it might be the go. I'll check it out. Thanks a lot, mate.

Jobbs

Banned
I can't work much/any on my game for at least a couple more weeks. so what the hell. screenshot friday. Playing around with the overlay a bit to make the game look more vibrant.

action shot:

vaultdroid.jpg

That droid has a flamethrower and will chase you, with footspeed higher than your own. He's a rare enemy that I only use in two spots in the game. (things that are rare make me happy for some reason)

GulAtiCa

Your art/drawings look awesome. Don't need anything now, but I'll save this info for later for when I do. :)

nasos_333

I dont know if this has been answered before (nor how to search for that here)

The question is which is the best system to self publish on and what are the alternatives ?

Also which are the systems that allow to develop and test games in Unity3D and on the commercial console hardware directly without dev kits, to lower the development cost ?

(something like XNA could be directly deployed to a normal Xbox and tested there, without a 10.000$ dev kit)

And last but not least, is there a good place to search for people interested in working on ongoing projects ?

MMF2's built in soft scaling is really good, just re-sizing by 20% makes the big artwork in my game look a lot better then scaling in PSP7 and applying alpha layers, it's not even using that much more ram.

1WcbDLf.png

My task this weekend is to keep working on the shooting by adding in a few more directions you can shoot in, including sprite work.

Jobbs

Banned
MMF2's built in soft scaling is really good, just re-sizing by 20% makes the big artwork in my game look a lot better then scaling in PSP7 and applying alpha layers, it's not even using that much more ram.

1WcbDLf.png

My task this weekend is to keep working on the shooting by adding in a few more directions you can shoot in, including sprite work.

I really want to see this in motion.

Since you asked so nicely :p just note this has a lot of rough spots as I continue to improve it, and runs at 60 right now (I managed to get the frame rate up again, for now...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Ry2AmS-Yk

YouTube can't get aspect ratios correct for shit
Shooting angles are limited and not 360 degrees
Movement speed is still being tweaked
A lot of effects are disabled
No sound effects at all are made yet
I like potatoes

Since you asked so nicely :p just note this has a lot of rough spots as I continue to improve it, and runs at 60 right now (I managed to get the frame rate up again, for now...)

I like potatoes

Looking good, potatoes and all. Can't imagine how difficult must be to animate all that.

Some new screens for Screenshot Saturday. I really need to get someone to replace my programmer art.

Jobbs

Banned

I like potatoes

This animated better than I was expecting. very cool.

- How does the aiming work in the game? I liked all the poses for aiming and am very curious how this works gameplay wise and with the mobile controls.

- How do guns work? I'm assuming you're going to drop various guns over her hand

- air flinch animation was great. wonder if you could rotate the sprite a bit while this is going to make it look like a bit of an arc. that'd probably look good.

- is this outdoor section the beginning of the game or later on? I remember a bunch of ship interior screenshots in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom