• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This animated better than I was expecting. very cool.

- How does the aiming work in the game? I liked all the poses for aiming and am very curious how this works gameplay wise and with the mobile controls.

- How do guns work? I'm assuming you're going to drop various guns over her hand

- air flinch animation was great. wonder if you could rotate the sprite a bit while this is going to make it look like a bit of an arc. that'd probably look good.

- is this outdoor section the beginning of the game or later on? I remember a bunch of ship interior screenshots in the past

The right side fire button is very much a virtual analogue stick, I have gone over many revisions for shooting starting back with the basic shoot and stand still, aim with the d-pad, then tried a more simple megaman shoot sideways only, but this method feels the best as it keeps the game moving. You will be able to shoot in about 8 directions not including directly up and down.

The gun is a separate sprite, right now in this build it's not complete as I need to add in new frames and all that.

Originally you only get hit into a spin if the enemy would crit you, something like a 15% chance when hit to be knocked back harder and faster, but it's now like this. I'm trying to keep auto rotations to a minimum as it turns a lot of sprite work ugly but it works alright for the blue enemy rolling around near the end of the video.

The ship is still there as the game will start on it, this is just for a change of look and to work on the planet graphics at the same time.

V_Arnold

Hm..... to JSON, to XML, or to man up and set uf an offline PHP/Apache/SQL triumvirate until we have bought a real server....damn it.

Any HTML5 developer have some experience to share on this?
I would use the data stored on files simply for easier map/unit database management.

Jobbs

Banned
Originally you only get hit into a spin if the enemy would crit you, something like a 15% chance when hit to be knocked back harder and faster, but it's now like this. I'm trying to keep auto rotations to a minimum as it turns a lot of sprite work ugly but it works alright for the blue enemy rolling around near the end of the video.

If you rotate pixel art without AA, it sorta gets this "mode 7" look and in my opinion is generally acceptable, since it feeds into SNES nostalgia. For instance, when the level rotates in super metroid it gets super pixelated. Just my 2 cents.

How much would you estimate is left to do in terms of developing the game?

If you rotate pixel art without AA, it sorta gets this "mode 7" look and in my opinion is generally acceptable, since it feeds into SNES nostalgia. For instance, when the level rotates in super metroid it gets super pixelated. Just my 2 cents.

How much would you estimate is left to do in terms of developing the game?

MMF2's rotation methods make sprites look really broken unless you smooth them, but i'll look into it.

I have a LOT to do, my app store slot will expire in about 40 days but I have plans, and that will most likely be the time I get some testers with different devices to try what I have out. I have been working on this game for a good 2 years now but it's all been in free time while I work in the week, the game has been remade about 7 times now but every time there was a big improvement somewhere so I feel that it was worth the time, it's also taken a lot of time to sprite the main character.

Jobbs

Banned
MMF2's rotation methods make sprites look really broken unless you smooth them, but i'll look into it.

I have a LOT to do, my app store slot will expire in about 40 days but I have plans, and that will most likely be the time I get some testers with different devices to try what I have out. I have been working on this game for a good 2 years now but it's all been in free time while I work in the week, the game has been remade about 7 times now but every time there was a big improvement somewhere so I feel that it was worth the time, it's also taken a lot of time to sprite the main character.

I redid my character art from scratch a while ago, redesigned the whole thing, and that task alone took me weeks. :D and I don't even have 8 degrees of aiming, only 4.

is this primarily intended for tablet type devices or phones or what? what's the ideal experience with a game like this?

what's your process like for designing the world of a metroidvania? I did it low tech to start with, I made a map from squares where each square represented a screen size, and I kind of imagined where everything was and built my map outward, putting down notes, etc, then once I was happy I built the game environment using that as a guide.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The game looks great in motion, Diablohead.

what's your process like for designing the world of a metroidvania? I did it low tech to start with, I made a map from squares where each square represented a screen size, and I kind of imagined where everything was and built my map outward, putting down notes, etc, then once I was happy I built the game environment using that as a guide.
That's pretty much what we did, I drew some map tiles and used Tiled Map Editor to jot down a rough sketch and showed it to the team to get feedback. Then I went through multiple iterations of refinement, with the overall layout evolving as the maps were getting made.
I think it's very important to keep things fluid and not let the layout force your hand too much.

Dascu

Here's what I put up for #screenshotsaturday today. It's an exterior shot, with some monsters flying around in the background. The snow effect is kinda bad, just using the standard Unity assets. I'm interested in getting a wind effect like in The Wind Waker, but I'm not sure how.
ss12ilx5.png

I redid my character art from scratch a while ago, redesigned the whole thing, and that task alone took me weeks. :D and I don't even have 8 degrees of aiming, only 4.

is this primarily intended for tablet type devices or phones or what? what's the ideal experience with a game like this?

iOS is the primary device right now, I just wish the game was out sooner as there is a LOT of good games on the app store along with free 2 play becoming much better, my game may suffer.

My target is to make the game run on ram as little as about 128MB per area, but since I make the game on a PC, that is an option for release when I figure out how to make the aiming work well with a mouse.

Each level tile is made as a 64x64 pixel size piece, on square graph paper I can then easily draw and design the world with correct measurements like normal jump height is 3 blocks, 4 with ledge grabs, 6 with super jumps, rolling to fit into 1 size tunnels, running needs 2 height, and so on.

One thing I do wish that I did at the start was shrink the player down a little, she is rather big for the small resolution I need to work at, it's exactly half of an iOS retina screen so it stays crisp when scaled, no 1.5 pixel blur. for android (if I get that far) and ouya/pc (if I get that far!) it will be 640 x 360, half of 720p

taoofjord

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a little advice on going from graphic design to programming at age 31.

Quick background:
I've been in love with games since I was a kid, am currently doing graphic design full-time and want to switch to software/app and game development. Game development in particular is where my passion lies (though more with smaller-budget games, not "AAA" stuff). I graduated with a B.S. a while ago in an unrelated field. I'm getting married soon and have a mortgage which makes this kind of drastic change quite risky and limits my ability to move or go to back to school full time. I recently starting learning Game Maker Studio, GML, and Python. Making my first game for the recent Game Maker game jam was some of the most pure fun I've had in years.

My goal is to be making games and entertainment/educational software. I've been really enjoying my first steps in Python and am thinking that becoming a programmer/software developer would be a good fit for me (giving me job security and the ability to pursue indie development)

So...

1) Should I go back to school to get a degree in computer science? I understand it's not necessary to be a good programmer or to get hired but it might be the most effective choice if I could figure out a way to swing it (unfortunately, that might involve selling my house).

2) Another option is to quit my day job and take a web dev boot-camp (I don't believe there are any boot-camps that focus on general programming). These are getting quite a bit of positive coverage lately. But... would learning ruby on rails and focusing on web dev help me transition to software/game development? I'm guessing not but I have to look into it. Regardless, I'm also not especially interested in web development.

3) The "safe" route. Stick to Game Maker Studio and learn GML and make games whenever I can. I probably wouldn't have the time to both make games and learn how to program so I'd probably stop learning Python. I see this as most likely pursuing game development as a hobby that provides supplemental income, but who knows, after making a few good games maybe I'd pair up with a programmer and get more serious with it.

Here's what I put up for #screenshotsaturday today. It's an exterior shot, with some monsters flying around in the background. The snow effect is kinda bad, just using the standard Unity assets. I'm interested in getting a wind effect like in The Wind Waker, but I'm not sure how.

That looks really sweet Dascu!

I could see this being awesome.

omg_mjd

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a little advice on going from graphic design to programming at age 31.

My goal is to be making games and entertainment/educational software. I've been really enjoying my first steps in Python and am thinking that becoming a programmer/software developer would be a good fit for me (giving me job security and the ability to pursue indie development)...

I'd go with the 3rd option. Don't go back to school if it means selling your house. And don't go into web dev if it isn't your passion. (Also web dev is only peripherally useful in game development--if you're making a game with online components, for instance. The best "transition" to game development is exactly what you're doing now--learning GameMaker and making games.)

Learning GameMaker + GML and applying this to realizing your game ideas will go a long way to helping you create games. More than going for a computer science degree or taking a short course in web development as these are large commitments of their own (especially the comp. sci degree) and are not directly related to game creation at all.

(Also, Python is really easy to learn. I'm currently teaching myself Python and Pygame, and it's been more fun than frustrating so far.)

Good luck. ;)

I think you can become pretty good at unity without becoming a professional programmer. I havent tried game maker but Unity is pretty simple. then again I happen to have already studied programming.

Proof of concept will be better than having a degree if you want to work on indie games. You could always take a programming night class. I would recommend C or C++ once you know those everything else is pretty simple.

Miutsu

I can't work much/any on my game for at least a couple more weeks. so what the hell. screenshot friday. Playing around with the overlay a bit to make the game look more vibrant.

action shot:

vaultdroid.jpg

That droid has a flamethrower and will chase you, with footspeed higher than your own. He's a rare enemy that I only use in two spots in the game. (things that are rare make me happy for some reason)

Loving the look of this! like a very isolated place.

Ouren

Please excuse the formatting. Gaf doesn't allow me to control the image widths and text formatting as much. I've made it a quote so it's not so out of control.
This is a version of my devlog on TIG.

For Playstation Mobile! Plays on Vita!
e3cce3415ce53741d6c7efefe78a59c9.png

768f46134638d71a3d30bc7805c68be5.png

Golden Nights at Sony Indie event at GDC (next to DiveKick!!)
e375d9d9215de2f90343f8e3c4e96687.png

fervor.gif

Hello everyone. I know we've not talked about this before really, so here is part of the official devlog for all of you Gaffers folks. We'll be updating this frequently. There's a ton of work that's been done over the past few months, and we're finally ready to share the work for the game! There's a ton to talk about, and we'll get into some more fancy giffy things when there are new builds and new features to show off. Conley posts new art to share with everyone on Mondays each week, so feel free to check that out.

Jackson does all of our asset art! Check out the man's blog here. He does cool stuff in Portland.

You can check out a musical medley here, composed by the very talented André Colares of Rio de Janeiro. Some of his other work can be found on soundcloud and youtube.

Team
Wolfgang Wozniak
Conley Smith
Jackson Lango
Andre Colares
Mike Godfrey

Tools
Playstation Mobile
Graphics Gale
Gleed2D

tumblr_mlqowdN9ia1qbw8ajo1_500.jpg

OZOeI4V.gif

ujqYVA2.gif

ynKKQNP.gif

tumblr_mmr22jHOhh1qbw8ajo1_1280.jpg

7YicKI8.jpg

44e231ab66becf7818ecb5fcec056c21.png

town_parallax3.png

(better formatting is over here)

Ouren

I'm making an arabian themed game too, but I wish I had half the talent you guys have. Looks really amazing.

It's a shame its going to PSM instead of PSN.

Thank you thank you!
Yea, I want to see about bringing it to more devices in the future. It's in C#, so we'll see. :p

looks fantastic. any gameplay footage out yet?
Afraid not! We had to rebuild our engine last month to start over. There's some mockup video floating around here someplace. Let me dig it up.

I uploaded it really fast. It's processing, but here ya go! :D
http://youtu.be/vW_bVz5Ooqw

You all can also listen to a medley of the music on the site here http://wolfgame.com/games/gn.html

here's a little bit of art just for gaf! :D
5V6HYu9.png

Ouren

the first thing when i saw that video was guacamelee. nothing wrong with that.

Drinkbox is pretty great. My non-gamer friend was able to pull off all of the combos in Guacamelee when we played.
I played with a fightstick. :D

—•
I can answer any questions anyone has about PSM development, or how to burst the industry door down.
If you'd like to talk about specific game design philosophies or just have any thoughts, I'd be happy to reply.

concept gif!
fQp352d.gif

TrickRoom

So I'm tempted to work with HTML5 and get some basic bearing on a puzzle game. But I've been hearing a lot of things that make me uncertain before even diving in. Namely the Flash vs. HTML5 argument and whether the language is "real" or "ready" yet. I've been tinkering around with some web apps that used HTML5/Javascript, and I keep running into the problem that there are so many frameworks like three.js, jquery, etc. etc. that confuse me on what I really "need" to make a game, and that's not even covering the higher level stuff like Construct. Does anyone have some pointers on what the bare minimum is for a good starting point?

Hauk

Neo Member
So I've been working on my little sidescrolling game that is mostly about speed; how fast can you clear a level. The player controls different kinds of balls with various stats, like speed and bounce. A bit like Monkeyball but 2D. I've made everything so far in Construct 2 and now that I got the LAN preview set-up (local address that you can connect to with any device, like my Nexus 7 or olde iPhone 3GS), I see that the game runs really slowly. Construct 2 shows the current download at about 230kb, and total memory usage around 22mb, so how the hell is the game so taxing on the mobile hardware? Firstly I changed Physics objects from level 1 to test if that would smooth things out, and it did to some degree, but still with barebone graphics and basic platform movement (built into C2) the game wouldn't run smoothly on preview. Now I'm wondering what kind of a mobile game is even possible with Construct 2, seems everything makes the gameplay stuttery. Probably gotta scour the net for anything about optimizing for mobile with C2..

So I've been working on my little sidescrolling game that is mostly about speed; how fast can you clear a level. The player controls different kinds of balls with various stats, like speed and bounce. A bit like Monkeyball but 2D. I've made everything so far in Construct 2 and now that I got the LAN preview set-up (local address that you can connect to with any device, like my Nexus 7 or olde iPhone 3GS), I see that the game runs really slowly. Construct 2 shows the current download at about 230kb, and total memory usage around 22mb, so how the hell is the game so taxing on the mobile hardware? Firstly I changed Physics objects from level 1 to test if that would smooth things out, and it did to some degree, but still with barebone graphics and basic platform movement (built into C2) the game wouldn't run smoothly on preview. Now I'm wondering what kind of a mobile game is even possible with Construct 2, seems everything makes the gameplay stuttery. Probably gotta scour the net for anything about optimizing for mobile with C2..

My guess is that the javascript engine on most mobile browsers is pretty slow.

V_Arnold

So I'm tempted to work with HTML5 and get some basic bearing on a puzzle game. But I've been hearing a lot of things that make me uncertain before even diving in. Namely the Flash vs. HTML5 argument and whether the language is "real" or "ready" yet. I've been tinkering around with some web apps that used HTML5/Javascript, and I keep running into the problem that there are so many frameworks like three.js, jquery, etc. etc. that confuse me on what I really "need" to make a game, and that's not even covering the higher level stuff like Construct. Does anyone have some pointers on what the bare minimum is for a good starting point?

Yes. The "bare minimum" is jQuery and nothing else. You will not need anything else unless you really, really want to skip making your own codes.

I am not using a framework for the game itself, built everything from the ground. What you have to do is figure out what a UI system exactly is ("things" that behave when you click on their position :p), and jQuery is needed for its Ajax capabilities, and the input handling (which differs between browsers, one deals with event.keys, other does event.which, for one the right click is the 1, the other the right click is the 2, etc. - all this is unified through jquery's own events).

I would say that flash is on its way "out" and HTML5 is already in the room, but many did not realize it yet. I would suggest that you start with the basics: make a canvas in the html code, include jquery in your script lists (or one of the CDN links), make a box that reacts to your keyboard/mouse/touch inputs, and start building your code from there.

Example: http://jsfiddle.net/Mvft2/3/

There tons of good resources out there.
1. Html5 Rocks
2. Dive into Html5
3. Eloquent Javascript
4. Html5 Tutorials

...and tons more if you have specific needs.

TrickRoom

Many thanks, V_Arnold! I wanted to build "from the ground up" as well, interested just as much about understanding what I was working with as I am with making something neat out of it. It's very assuring to hear all that.

missile

What follows are solely my opinion. They worked out best for me, and may as
such not do so for anyone else. Hence, feel free to disagree.

@taoofjord: Difficult to say. It depends on your passion, on your willpower,
whether you are true to yourself, whether you want to go the risk, whether you
are willing to trade something for your passion (something that hurts), whether
you are able to deal with all the consequences, whether you believe in
yourself (independently from what anybody else says), whether you rely on the
applause of others, whether you have a clear vision in your mind, and, most
importantly, whether you are able to give up the concept of security. There
is no security, neither for you, nor for your wife, nor for you kids (if any).
Never was, never will be. Once you see life happening day-by-day, any fear
will go away and it all comes together as one.

Quick background:
I've been in love with games since I was a kid, am currently doing graphic design full-time and want to switch to software/app and game development. Game development in particular is where my passion lies (though more with smaller-budget games, not "AAA" stuff). I graduated with a B.S. a while ago in an unrelated field. I'm getting married soon and have a mortgage which makes this kind of drastic change quite risky and limits my ability to move or go to back to school full time. ...
Having a house is fine, but not on a mortgage. If you ever have studied the
concept of money, you would know that taking a credit is the worst thing you
can do, not only because you won't own the object of interest until
fulfillment, but because you will have to work for nothing (for the daily
interest you have to pay) and, even more important, because you have loaded
yourself with liabilities that will hinter you from making progress.
Liabilities holds you/anybody back. It's something you have to cut first on
any account. In short, never spend money you don't have.

I'm not saying that you have to sell your house, but if it is necessary to
realize your vision, then you may have do it. Don't attach your vision to some
bricks in a wall. This would be pretty much ridiculous.

... I recently starting learning Game Maker Studio, GML, and Python. Making my first game for the recent Game Maker game jam was some of the most pure fun I've had in years.

My goal is to be making games and entertainment/educational software. I've been really enjoying my first steps in Python and am thinking that becoming a programmer/software developer would be a good fit for me (giving me job security and the ability to pursue indie development)

So ...

Well, if you are serious about what you are writing, then you may already
know what to do no matter what. But anyhow...

... 1) Should I go back to school to get a degree in computer science? I understand it's not necessary to be a good programmer or to get hired but it might be the most effective choice if I could figure out a way to swing it (unfortunately, that might involve selling my house). ...
As you can imagine, making a master's degree in computer science takes power.
Leaving all the money aside, do you have the power going for about three to
four years pushing hard? Would your wife be up to the task supporting you
during this time on any account?

For one, you don't need a degree, but you may need the knowledge gathered.
Well, if anything, game development follows no strict patterns nor follows any
major rules. There is always a case where someone did exactly the opposite
while being very successful as well. So you won't need a degree for making
games, for sure, but you may perhaps need a degree for making certain types of
games which do rely on some very sophisticated stuff bringing the world alive
you're envisioning.

However, it's not the right question at all. Don't do a degree in computer
science because you want to make games. You will fall pretty short doing so.
Do a degree if you are inherently interested in how and why stuff works. There
are many interesting techniques in computer science you can bring to fruition
esp. within games - which is wonderful to say at least. But it's a long way.
Doing computercraft from the get-go is perhaps one of the most interesting
things from a technical point of view. It's an art form. You can create entire
different worlds knowing the tools of the trade from its roots.

To answer your question;
In general, if you have the time and money to effort learning something you're
most interested in, then do exactly this.

To study / to learn something is one of the highest goods we have.

Getting insights into something distinguishes from anything else. It's the
only thing moving you (no, not you, the one insight you) forward.

But then there are these game academies. If you're only willing to study for
just making games, you may better consider such a school.

... 2) Another option is to quit my day job and take a web dev boot-camp (I don't believe there are any boot-camps that focus on general programming). These are getting quite a bit of positive coverage lately. But... would learning ruby on rails and focusing on web dev help me transition to software/game development? I'm guessing not but I have to look into it. Regardless, I'm also not especially interested in web development. ...
Hell, no.

... 3) The "safe" route. Stick to Game Maker Studio and learn GML and make games whenever I can. I probably wouldn't have the time to both make games and learn how to program so I'd probably stop learning Python. I see this as most likely pursuing game development as a hobby that provides supplemental income, but who knows, after making a few good games maybe I'd pair up with a programmer and get more serious with it. ...
In general, don't do anything you don't want to do. I can't stress this
enough. People to it all the time, because they are in fear losing something.
If you want to learn programming, then do it. If you want to pursuing game
development to provide supplemental income, then do it. Go this road straight.
Passion only proofs itself while doing so.

In the end it just boils down to go for real of not.

That's it!

Btw; What type of graphics design you do? And; what type of games you are
interested in making?

V_Arnold

Many thanks, V_Arnold! I wanted to build "from the ground up" as well, interested just as much about understanding what I was working with as I am with making something neat out of it. It's very assuring to hear all that.

You are welcome! Just keep us updated on your progress, and if you have any questions regarding optimization or canvas stuff or anything like that, feel free to PM it to me or just say it in here. I might not know the answer (hah!) ,but I recently did a heavy optimization session and if I do not know something, I am sure as hell gonna look it up to understand it :D

Hauk

Neo Member
Thanks for the answer, I guess that must be it. Shows that the mobile browser uses Canvas2D instead of opengl web renderer, guess that means something too. I'm thinking of doing something a lot smaller than a "game" at first, some kind of tiny apps. At least there are options as long as you have imagination.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Physics engines are awesome at making complex tasks incredibly simple and simple tasks incredibly complex.

V_Arnold

That's simply amazing, yet amazingly simple. :)

Mind blown!

In related news, I was almost banging my head against the wall for a good 5-6 hours today because I wanted a PRECISE collision detection without using someone else's solution...

...then I gave up.
Then a few hours later, looking at the code, I realized that I just messed up one ">" and "<", switched them. Bam, works flawlessly (*where flawlessly means "flawlessly until I find more errors" - which came after I started with bringing in more shapes, but hey...)!

Blizzard

Banned
Physics engines are awesome at making complex tasks incredibly simple and simple tasks incredibly complex.
This is an outstanding observation. This is one of the things that makes me glad I'm trying to do a strategy game where physics aren't involved at all. :p

"WHY ARE THE BOXES VIBRATING ON THE GROUND, CURSE YOU HYSTERESIS" (or whatever the proper term(s) are)

V_Arnold

This is an outstanding observation. This is one of the things that makes me glad I'm trying to do a strategy game where physics aren't involved at all. :p

"WHY ARE THE BOXES VIBRATING ON THE GROUND, CURSE YOU HYSTERESIS" (or whatever the proper term(s) are)

Yep, I know the feeling. But I was missing the frustration so started up a platform engine beside my turn-based RPG :p

I've been using chipmunk and it's pretty sweet, easy to use and not that invasive. It's designed to let you manipulate objects in the game world by hand and let them interact with those managed with the physic engine.

razu

Yo yo yo!!

The kind people at Google have featured Chopper Mike on the Google Play Store.

So, if you're not featured straight away, there's always chance you'll get picked up later on!

I just got an email out of the blue, saying they'd like to feature it, with a list of things they wanted fixing. I fixed the things, my sending versions to a dude a Google, who was amazingly helpful, (so much so I added him to the credits). Then... nothing...

I still haven't got a reply, but the game is featured, so that's cool!

Sales have gone from single figures per day to triple figures per day - not in Porsche country just yet, but I'm happy! Hopefully it'll keep being featured one way or another - as games do seem to do - and build some word-of-mouth momentum.. Who knows?

Anyway. Just wanted to let you know featured-ness is possible without knowing anyone on the inside, or any good old fashioned bribery! :D

I'm actually on holiday in Cyprus right now, so any replies may be delayed until next week..!

Take it easy indie dudes!! :D

JulianImp

Well... it seems like good ol' Google has changed its payment methods to Argentina once again, either due to the increasing restrictions on the dollar or retiring AdSense, which was the only means of paymente we had before, therefore completely removing it from the list of countries that can actually get paid for apps.

I had bought an Android tablet and a small smartphone for testing and deploying apps, so I guess I won't be using them anymore; I don't have a Mac or an iDevice, either, so I won't be building iOS apps. Is PC-Mac-Linux-base Steam my only way out if I ever want to sell games, then?

EDIT:
@razu: Amazing! Your game looked fun simple and interesting based on the screenshots, videos and demos you uploaded to this thread, so it's good to see that it's doing well and even got featured despite you not having any contacts.

Miutsu

Well... it seems like good ol' Google has changed its payment methods to Argentina once again due to the increasing restrictions on the dollar, completely removing Argentina from the list of countries that can actually get paid for apps (we could only get money through an AdSense account before).

I had bought an Android tablet and a small smartphone for testing and deploying apps, so I guess I won't be using them anymore; I don't have a Mac or an iDevice, either, so I won't be building iOS apps. Is PC-Mac-Linux-base Steam my only way out if I ever want to sell games, then?

Yeah I read about that yesterday and believe me when I tell you that I feel your pain (I'm from Venezuela so restrictions on foreign currency everyday is something we live with since a lot of years ago). An option would be to have or open a bank account in another country but not everyone has that option :/

JulianImp

Yeah I read about that yesterday and believe me when I tell you that I feel your pain (I'm from Venezuela so restrictions on foreign currency everyday is something we live with since a lot of years ago). An option would be to have or open a bank account in another country but not everyone has that option :/

Do you know how that'd work if I set up a personal company or something like that? Would I have to declare my incomes and pay taxes in whichever country the bank's in as well as my own?

Now's when I really regret having shut down my Puerto Rican debit account from a few years ago, when my dad was pestering me bacause the little money that was in it was being eaten away by maintenance costs; due to that, he got me to send a special request to get the account closed, and now I probably won't be able to open the account again...

Since you asked so nicely :p just note this has a lot of rough spots as I continue to improve it, and runs at 60 right now (I managed to get the frame rate up again, for now...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Ry2AmS-Yk

YouTube can't get aspect ratios correct for shit
Shooting angles are limited and not 360 degrees
Movement speed is still being tweaked
A lot of effects are disabled
No sound effects at all are made yet
I like potatoes

Well now I feel pressed to show a video of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLEPpaqaCxY

Looks cool, man! The starting comment said you did that in a month; that's way farther than I've gotten with any of my prototyping in ~6 months. Are you using a pre-fab engine or did you build something from scratch?

I'm using Multimedia Fusion 2, which is a bit like Game Maker or what-have-you insofar as it's something that handles all of the graphics and sound output and lets you make games with a scripting language.

MMF2 has all kinds of presets for making games quickly but a lot of them are crap so I usually write my own player physics and stuff from scratch. But I've been using that line of software for nearly 15 years at this point, so it's really easy for me to go from something like this...

tumblr_mlqqfnd6DN1rr2g16o1_500.gif

To this in about 4 hours. That's not counting art asset generation, of course. :p Making the Knight's sprites probably took closer to 3-5 days.

MMF2 has plenty of shortcomings, though. The biggest being how it handles object instancing. It has a lot of trouble telling apart multiple objects of the same type, unless you specifically make them entirely separate objects with individually separate code in the script. Which is kind of silly.

There are plugins that help, but if you plan on exporting your games to iOS or whatever you're usually shit out of luck because most plugins don't support it (the ability to export to iOS was only added fairly recently in the grand scheme of things).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom