• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Festival of Blood |OT| What karma choice? Bite or stake 'em!

DigiMish

3fwry6b

Developer: Sucker Punch Productions
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Platform: PlayStation 3
Genre: Third Person Open World
Price: $9.99 or $7.99 (PSN+ members)
Availability: PSN Store - Infamous: Festival of Blood is a standalone downloadable game and DOES NOT NEED EITHER INFAMOUS or INFAMOUS 2.
Size: 3093 MB
Released: October 25th, 2011 (US)
Rating: T for Teen - Contains Suggestive Themes, Violence, Blood, Use of Alcohol, Language

3bcmlh9

42ndn3r

Vampires have overrun New Marais and Cole MacGrath has been bitten. He has 8 hours to kill the Head Vampire and change back to his usual state and save the city. In his vampire state, Cole can bite other people, manifest special vampire powers and even fly by turning into a flock of bats.

3l46zlm

- An experience that combines being a superhero and a vampire: Cole has unique vampire powers on top of existing electricity super powers. These include investigative powers like vampire vision that allow him to see specially marked messages meant only for vampires and vampire sense, which allows Cole to spot unborn vampires disguised as people. On top of that, he can turn into a flock of bats and fly. Yes - you can finally fly around the city!

- New story with new cutscenes: The new story is presented with comic book inspired cutscenes similar to other Infamous games.

- Explore New Marais during Pyre Night: New Marais has undergone a Halloween makeover, including the people that walk the streets. A whole new underground area is also available to explore underneath the city. The game field consists of the first (which is the biggest) island from Infamous 2.

- New items to collect and moves to unlock: Collect jars of blood to powerup your vampire abilities and powerup your existing powers by completing goals like staking 100 vampires.

- User Generated Content: Play other people's missions or create your own. This feature makes a comeback from Infamous 2 with added bonuses like the cutscene maker.

- PlayStation Move Compatibility: Available during both gameplay and the UGC mission creator.

3sxdelg

3ljn34m

Cat: The beautiful listener of Zeke's tale and the object of his attraction.

Zeke: Tells the tale of how he saved the revered superhero and his best friend, Cole MacGrath from the clutches of Bloody Mary and other vampires. Zeke has been with Cole from the start of his journey in Empire City, and all the way through to the end in New Marais. They've had their ups and downs, but in the end, their friendship remains strong.

Bloody Mary: The main villainess of the game, Bloody Mary was brought back from the dead by drinking Cole's powerful superhero blood. Now, she terrorizes New Marais by unleashing hordes of vampires on unsuspecting citizens.

Cole: The protagonist of the game, Cole has been bitten by a vampire and turned into one himself. He has 8 hours to find and kill Bloody Mary before he becomes her blood-sucking pawn. During these hours, he finds himself with a mix of his electrical superpowers and supernatural vampiric abilities.

44c9t5w

3aszeg6

- UGC Mission search
- UGC Mission Design forum
- UGC Mission Creator tutorial for beginners

Much like Infamous 2, Infamous: Festival of Blood includes a full blown User Generated Content experience. This means that you can create missions and upload them online where others players can play and rate them. Player uploaded missions appear as green markers on the map, and can be filtered by criteria such as most recent, best rated, featured, etc. Players can also type in either the mission name or the creator into a search field and go from there.

The mission creation is composed of players placing various objects in the world, and then creating logic via connecting different inputs and outputs to each other. A large variety of missions can be created from simple battle encounters to more advanced story driven content.

Infamous: Festival of Blood includes a tons of new objects and enemies, and also a new UGC feature that allows players to create comic book styled cutscenes by manipulating the camera around a scene, taking a picture and then placing speech bubbles. This feature is also coming to Infamous 2.

vlcsnap-2011-05-26-17h32m11s167.png

456x556

Screenshots:

_home_secure_media_FoB_Assets_Flight_Power-620x.jpg

_home_secure_media_FoB_Assets_Crowd-620x.jpg

_home_secure_media_FoB_Assets_Crowd_vamp_vision-620x.jpg

_home_secure_media_FoB_Assets_catacomb_grinding-1-620x.jpg

_home_secure_media_FoB_LaunchScreens_ped_mask_001.jpg

_home_secure_media_FoB_LaunchScreens_bloody_mary.jpg

Videos:

- Launch Trailer
- Cinematic Video
- Gamespot Demo
- Teaser Trailer

3mopbkm

trophybronze_67om.png

Count Dra-Cole-a - Unlock all powers.
Stakehouse - Stake 20 hidden Firstborn vampires.
Blood Bank - Collect half of the Canopic Jars.
Flight Night - Stay airborne for 250 meters while in Shadow Swarm.
Bite Club - Bite 100 Civilians.
Underground Tour - Return to the underground while no mission is active and travel from one end of the catacombs to the other.
Raising The Stakes - Stake 100 Vampires.
Hindenburg Complex - Destroy a balloon.
Dinner Theater - Bite a member of a street parade.
Give Them The Fanger - Clear out 20 Vampire packs.
Play. Create. Scare. - Play 20 Festival of Blood UGC Missions.

trophysilver_17im.png

Blood Junkie - Collect all Canopic Jars and max out your blood meter.
Bleeder's Digest - Discover all of Mary's Teachings.

trophygold_376k.png

Fangs For Playing - Defeat Bloody Mary.

3tg6yx8

Kotaku: Should you buy Infamous: Festival of Blood? YES. "I'm having a great time with Festival of Blood, a couple of hours and 30% content-completion in I love that you don't even need to own Infamous 2 to enjoy this DLC."

Joystiq: 5/5 "Festival of Blood is campy, vampy fun and an absolute steal for $10. Best part: you don't even need Infamous or Infamous 2 to play it."

GamerNode: 4/5 "And with a price tag of $10, it's hard not to recommend. If you want more inFAMOUS, then here it is, and if you're new to the franchise, this is a great starting point. Either way, you won't be disappointed."

thesixthaxis: 8/10 "It’s quite simple really: badass vampires are awesome, inFamous is brilliant and a combination of both makes for a short but sweet adventure."

Digital Chumps: 8/10 "Even when it's cleverly repeating its predecessor’s tricks, Festival of Blood feels like a $60 game - albeit one that only lasts a couple hours."

IGN: 7.5/10 "Nonetheless, I think the $10 price of admittance is justified if you're already an existing Infamous fan like me. Even with relatively short game time and no replay value (apart from raising the difficulty level or messing with UGC), there's merit here."

Edge: 7/10 "Familiar enough for fans, and sufficiently different for sceptics, perhaps Sucker Punch had more in mind than a bite-sized cash-in all along."

Eurogamer: 6/10 "Festival of Blood's slight but fun, in other words - a decent shaggy dog story for you to plough through on Halloween evening..."

It's definitely a neat idea, I'll give them that.

I wonder how well the move controls really work. I'd love to try a demo, if there was one.

BeeDog

Very nice OT. Finished the game yesterday and found it quite good but ultimately too short. The new flying power is incredibly fun to use, but I was bummed that no new lightning powers were introduced.

It's essentially a re-skinned version of the first island.

Neuromancer said:
It's definitely a neat idea, I'll give them that.

I wonder how well the move controls really work. I'd love to try a demo, if there was one.

TTP seemed to think they're really good. I assume he's doing an iWaggle3D video for it, so perhaps it's worth waiting for it.

Card Boy

Banned
How long does it take to finish? Didn't see anything in the OP. Reason i ask is it has a Sony takes of $15.95 here.

BeeDog said:
Very nice OT. Finished the game yesterday and found it quite good but ultimately too short. The new flying power is incredibly fun to use, but I was bummed that no new lightning powers were introduced.

It's essentially a re-skinned version of the first island.

So how long was it, if you had to guess?

ezekial45

Banned
Lol at the Eurogamer joke.

Anyway, I might bite on this. $10 is a pretty good price for anything on the level on U2.

So how big is the game? Did they just take the downtown portion of New Marais and make that the game space?

BeeDog

Franklinator said:

Felt like 2 hours tops for the included missions. You'll get more mileage out of it if you try to get the trophies though.

I'm calling this now:

at the end of the game Cat turns out to be a vampire or some shit and attacks Zeke and Zeke wakes up and it was all a dream

OR

at the end of the game we simply see something that suggests Cat is a vampire or something

Somebody who has beaten this, please confirm.

BeeDog

BigJiantRobut said:
I'm calling this now:

at the end of the game Cat turns out to be a vampire or some shit and attacks Zeke and Zeke wakes up and it was all a dream

OR

at the end of the game we simply see something that suggests Cat is a vampire or something

Somebody who has beaten this, please confirm.

Yes. :p

Card Boy

Banned
BeeDog said:
Felt like 2 hours tops for the included missions. You'll get more mileage out of it if you try to get the trophies though.

Meh will wait for a sale in like a years time. $16 for 2hours is too expensive, better off going to the movies.

BeeDog said:

Whoa, I thought it would be longer than that. Maybe I'll wait for a sale to buy it, then. Thanks for the response!

DigiMish

I finished the game in around 4 - 4.5 hours. Before the last mission, I collected every jar and found all the messages. I also completed all the challenges and most trophies like stake 100 vampires.

The way I play the game was that I go en route to a mission, and if I see a vampire holdup, I go and kill them.

Great OP, but factually incorrect.
Cole had around 8 hours to kill Bloody Mary, not 24...

And the whole thing WAS pretty short, is it possible for me to check how long I've played it for?

Replicant

DigiMish said:
Price: $9.99 or $7.99 (PSN+ members)
Availability: PSN Store - Infamous: Festival of Blood is a standalone downloadable game and DOES NOT NEED EITHER INFAMOUS or INFAMOUS 2.
Size: 3093 MB

:eek: Stand-alone game? I didn't know this. I may bite since the file size is only 3GB unless there'd be game of the year edition coming in the future...

DigiMish

OneMoreQuestion said:
Great OP, but factually incorrect.
Cole had around 8 hours to kill Bloody Mary, not 24...

And the whole thing WAS pretty short, is it possible for me to check how long I've played it for?

Yea, I thought it was 12 hours - over the course of 1 night. But then I read a preview that said 24 hours. I'm going to double check it later, and change it.

If you saved around the beginning and around the end, check the times on the save files.

DigiMish

The download is $10, and $8 if you have PSN+. This is hands down one of the best bang for your buck dlc games out there.

For some bizarre reason, this game looks incredibly fun to me. I say bizarre, because I found the first inFamous game to be mediocre, avoided the second one for that reason, and I have absolutely no love for the current vampire trend sweeping pop culture; yet I'll be buying and playing this game tomorrow, right after I finish making my costume.

The size of this sounds perfect to me. I don't need more than a wedge of Halloween-themed gameplay between what I have been playing and the onslaught of new titles coming in the next month.

Loved the original InFamous, never got around to playing the sequel, but figured why the hell not with this game.

And it's awesome.

Zen

Banned
Franklinator said:

I think it took me three hours? I've almost done everything except about 20 (?) UGC missions. THe UGC stuff is actually pretty neat, I didn't know that you could make comic book style cutscenes.

Raonak

Banned
For the Auz guys- the PAL exchange rate is usually taken for the Europe prices.
so it won't change because the US dollar is weak.

in which case; it would be around $14 Auz. guess they bumped up the price a bit for AUZ.
It should be 17.5$ NZD (straight euro conversion) but ends up being 18.90$ NZD

Zen said:
I think it took me three hours? I've almost done everything except about 20 (?) UGC missions. THe UGC stuff is actually pretty neat, I didn't know that you could make comic book style cutscenes.
Don't think it was possible until this DLC.. unless they updated it somewhere down the line (haven't booted up inFamous 2 in months). Regardless, it is indeed very cool.

Anyway, the Move controls are pretty awesome. Only problem is that it is a bitch to get headshots with them, since the pointer is a bit sensitive.

Finished it all in one night last night, its pretty good fun, definetly worth the cash.

Found some parts quite challenging and the new abilities are pretty cool (wish they could be transfered to infamous 2 tho, just to mess around with)

Kambing

The engine that sucker punch made for this game is pretty amazing i reckon, especially considering the fact that it is open world.

I played this for about 30 mins and am enjoying it but the character speed in inFamous always bothered me... it feels like Cole walks/runs like a cheetah, to the point that in the beginning level, where it starts you out in a closed environment, the camera and character movement was out of place. Granted the face pace makes more sense in the open world of the game, but the way the camera centers or moves onto Cole while running i find very annoying. Ah well, just some of my thoughts.

Beat it last night, definitely worth playing but wish there were a little bit more meat on the bones. Too bad the ending
didn't have any cool twist or something that leads into inFAMOUS 3. Although I wonder if Cole's presence at the very end suggested he lived after all.

8.1/10

ConradCervantes said:
Beat it last night, definitely worth playing but wish there were a little bit more meat on the bones. Too bad the ending
didn't have any cool twist or something that leads into inFAMOUS 3. Although I wonder if Cole's presence at the very end suggested he lived after all.

8.1/10

The game is set as a random side story so it doesn't allude anything towards Infamous 3 im afraid.
If you play the bad ending he technically lives anyway so there could still be an Infamous 3, plus the lightning striking the barge at the end of the good ending suggests he's still alive as well so take from it what you will

Card Boy

Banned
Raonak said:
For the Auz guys- the PAL exchange rate is usually taken for the Europe prices.
so it won't change because the US dollar is weak.

in which case; it would be around $14 Auz. guess they bumped up the price a bit for AUZ.
It should be 17.5$ NZD (straight euro conversion) but ends up being 18.90$ NZD

Your reasoning is wrong.

Sorc3r3r

Downloaded and played, move fits perfectly i'm enjoying this spin off a lot.

But after trying this with move, it make me sad that ND decided not to support the move in U3 too, if a game fast paced like InFAMOUS is so good played with move, i think that in U3 would be even better.

(I'm hoping for a U3 move patch right now XD)

i played this game for 1h30 i'm at the tpoint where i must play a UGC mission to continue ..

Finishing this game in 80 minutes ? i'm laughing .. it's short yes but as a player i was killing new borns and hordes of ennemies ..i was enjoying my free roaming .. that's how you play FoB...rushing and saying "oh it's short" is dumb

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Sorc3r3r said:
Downloaded and played, move fits perfectly i'm enjoying this spin off a lot.

But after trying this with move, it make me sad that ND decided not to support the move in U3 too, if a game fast paced like InFAMOUS is so good played with move, i think that in U3 would be even better.

(I'm hoping for a U3 move patch right now XD)

Truth. I loved playing shooters with the move. Too bad only a few ganes support it

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Finished this last night. Somewhat short, but still well worth the price. Also, the bat flock power is hot dayum awesome.

Franklinator said:

Kuro Madoushi said:
Estimates? How long?

About 1 1/2-2 hours for the story only, 2-4 hours if you want to get all trophies.

gdt

I really, really enjoyed Infamous 2, so I'll definitely get this. Probably not right now though.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
If this is considered "good" by inFamous 2 standards, I guess I'll just skip the main game.

Festival of Blood is well-made and whatnot, but it just doesn't interest me at all. I was kinda happy it was a really short experience.

The flying power is kinda awesome, though.

Agent X

I also completed inFamous: Festival of Blood last night. It's a great game with some fun new abilities for Cole to play around with. While the game is certainly on the short side, don't forget that it's only $9.99 (or $7.99 for Plus members).

Also, UGC will be a good way to extend the game long after its primary story has wrapped up. There were some very good levels created for inFamous 2, and I'm sure in the coming days and weeks you'll see some worthy levels made for Festival of Blood. The comic-book cut scenes are a great addition to UGC.

I played most of the game with the Dual Shock 3, but changed to Move near the end. The Move controls do work well enough, and I'd recommend giving it a try if you have the equipment, but personally I think I'd rather stick to the DS3 for this game.

I'm liking this a lot, who else thinks that Suckerpunch is testing out vampire gameplay for their next project? Well I'm hoping for one at least

This was cute and fun, but shorter than I thought it'd be. Really the only interesting thing is the flying power; I thought there'd be more vampire abilities than that. Still, it was nice to revisit inFamous 2 in a new light for a few hours.

Top Bottom