• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Festival of Blood |OT| What karma choice? Bite or stake 'em!

sarcoa

badcrumble said:
This was cute and fun, but shorter than I thought it'd be. Really the only interesting thing is the flying power; I thought there'd be more vampire abilities than that. Still, it was nice to revisit inFamous 2 in a new light for a few hours.
Or revisit Infamous 2 in a new dark amirite?

Also thanks for listing my review, op.

Brazil said:
If this is considered "good" by inFamous 2 standards, I guess I'll just skip the main game.

Festival of Blood is well-made and whatnot, but it just doesn't interest me at all. I was kinda happy it was a really short experience.

The flying power is kinda awesome, though.

it's a nice side story , set aside from the main game..it's good as a dlc ..BUT it's a different experience overall from infamous 2

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Best $5 spent

Enjoyed the 4+ hours getting 100% (in one sitting), loved the flying power the most

24fkav8.jpg

TripOpt55

I think I will get this over the weekend. Looks fun. I want to finish my Uncharted 2 replay first in prep for 3. This will be a nice game to play for Halloween though I think.

Darkatomz

dream said:
IGN said they finished the game in 80 minutes.
...Probably on easy and blowing through it without getting all of the powers.

Anyways, I've beaten and gotten everything on hard except the 20 UGC missions, which I doubt I'll ever do. I thought it was really, really good. Game should be seen as DLC and not be taken too seriously.

I mean, how many standalone games are there that are open world and as complete at this?

CozMick

Banned
At £6 this stand-alone is a damn steal.

The Move controls are very accurate and responsive, visuals are amazing, and the idea of Cole as a vampire is awesome.

Only played an hour or so (BF3:\) but loving it so far.

Thrakier

I really like it but one thing...the trigger on the move controller feels kinda...laggy? I have a feeling like it doesn't recognize every shot.

Well I finished it, got all the trophies. I really liked it, although it did carry over some of my complaints about the main I2.

Played some fun UGC missions as well. Is there anyway to call up a list of the ones you've already played, as I can't remember the names of most of them. The last one I did was called 'Blood Run' I think. Nothing too difficult but a nicely scripted mission against the clock.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oh, another note: Cole sounds like a freaking asshole. I liked Ladin in L4D2, but he sucks here.

Zen

Banned
How many pyre night 'official' UGC missions are there? The main story makes to go through 2 of them, but it says taht they all unlock after beating the game. There's a bit more meat on this than reviewers credit it for, even if not by a ton.

A very enjoyable experience for a good price.

AwShucks

Wow, between reviews and comments in here the length is varying quite a bit. Some comments saying 1.5 hours while others and some reviews saying 3 hours. I wonder what the "average gamer" length would be/is.

GeoramA

AwShucks said:
Wow, between reviews and comments in here the length is varying quite a bit. Some comments saying 1.5 hours while others and some reviews saying 3 hours. I wonder what the "average gamer" length would be/is.
Getting all the trophies will take a few hours, because you have to complete 20 UGC missions.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
AwShucks said:
It's definitely closer to 1.5 hours than to 3. It took me 3 hours to find all the collectibles and stuff. It's really short. Like, DLC-short.

GeoramA said:
Getting all the trophies will take a few hours, because you have to complete 20 UGC missions.
If you want to, you can simply do 18 assassination missions and be done with it in five minutes.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
AwShucks said:

I did it in one sitting, it took 4+ hours

I'm a trophy guy, so I had to get all of them

If you do only main story line and bypass everything trophy related, then yes, game can be done in 1.5 hour

That is no fun though

One thing I really enjoyed was flying around looking for jars (blast shards replacement)
More you break, more blood is used to fly around, by the end a full blood meter you can fly halfway across the city

The teachings were also a nice touch, following the arrow markers looking for the glyph, cool side story/background on
Bloody Mary

GeoramA

Brazil said:
If you want to, you can simply do 18 assassination missions and be done with it in five minutes.
For my 15th, I did one where I didn't do shit and got it. It was literally one second :lol

Cole as a full vampire is awesome, btw.

Agent X

The Shadow Swarm (flight) power is awesome, but one other little addition that might have made it even better would be if you could control your flight using the tilt control on the Sixaxis/Dual Shock 3 controllers.

If there's ever a patch to this game, I hope Sucker Punch considers adding this!

DigiMish

Added more reviews to the OT and linked back to the review page. Also changed the time Cole has from 24 hours to 8 in the overview.

How do you like my Official Thread, element? This is my first one, and since I had some extra time on my hands, I decided to give it a shot.

Agent X

DigiMish said:
How do you like my Official Thread, element? This is my first one, and since I had some extra time on my hands, I decided to give it a shot.

I'm not element, but I think you did a great job with the thread.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Agent X said:
The Shadow Swarm (flight) power is awesome, but one other little addition that might have made it even better would be if you could control your flight using the tilt control on the Sixaxis/Dual Shock 3 controllers.

Get the Move man ;)

Albeit it doesn't really control like Flower. It's not direct 1:1. You point the cursor in the direction you want to turn.

DigiMish

Agent X said:
I'm not element, but I think you did a great job with the thread.

Thanks a lot!

The easiest and fastest way to get all jars is once you get the upgraded vampire sense power, it always shows you the closest jar Bloody Mary's recording. Every time you break a jar, your blood meter fulls up fully.

So you just fly to the closest jar, break it, and fly towards the next one until you got them all.

The game is great with the move! I expected it to be so-so at best, but man on man the folks at Sucker Punch did an excellent job. Just make sure you calibrate the controller properly and you're good to go. It makes you really wish Naughty Dog would add support for the move in uncharted 3; maybe via DLC/update like Sucker Punch did/ are going to do for Inf2. *Dreams of Uncharted 3 with well done move support*

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
User Name Here said:
The game is great with the move! I expected it to be so-so at best, but man on man the folks at Sucker Punch did an excellent job. Just make sure you calibrate the controller properly and you're good to go. It makes you really wish Naughty Dog would add support for the move in uncharted 3; maybe via DLC/update like Sucker Punch did. *Dreams of Uncharted 3 with well done move support*

Amen.

DigiMish

anddo0 said:
The difficulty level of some of these UGC missions are INSANE!

What were the creators thinking?

Yeah, as a creator of UGC content, I know there's a LOT of crap out there. It just comes down to people not thinking about the player and instead making something that they think is super cool and amazing like throwing hundreds of enemies at you.

If you want to play some good UGC, check out the mission design forum I linked under UGC CONTENT in the OT. There's a thread on the forum where people post their UGC missions, and most of them are good. There's not a thread for Festival of Blood yet, only Infamous 2, but I'm sure there will be one in the future.

Thrakier

TTP said:
Get the Move man ;)

Albeit it doesn't really control like Flower. It's not direct 1:1. You point the cursor in the direction you want to turn.

TTP, I have a feeling that while shooting the move trigger button is a bit laggy/delayed sometimes. It doesn't react as precise as the R1 trigger on the DS3. Feels off. Can you second that?

GraveRobberX said:
I did it in one sitting, it took 4+ hours

I'm a trophy guy, so I had to get all of them

If you do only main story line and bypass everything trophy related, then yes, game can be done in 1.5 hour

That is no fun though

One thing I really enjoyed was flying around looking for jars (blast shards replacement)
More you break, more blood is used to fly around, by the end a full blood meter you can fly halfway across the city

The teachings were also a nice touch, following the arrow markers looking for the glyph, cool side story/background on
Bloody Mary
Didn't really like this. Beat in about 3 hours, deleted. The only thing I liked was the flight power.

Bloody Mary was just :/

Qasiel

Downloaded this 2 nights ago and have only been able to play it in short bursts, but so far I'm absolutely loving it.

It's got some great humour from Zeke and Cole (solidifying their top spot in the "Bromance Award 2011"), fun powers, and good action. I'd recommend this to pretty much everyone I know who has a PS3.

I've been a fan of this series since the early days, and I have to say that Sucker Punch never disappoint with inFamous. Keep up the good work, guys!

glaurung

Started playing today and once I had mopped up Bloody Mary, went back and got all the trophies too.

It's a great distraction, I liked it a lot. The audio diaries of Mary have an almost Anne Rice quality to them. I got a good 4 hours out of it without rushing and playing on hard.

graywolf323

wonder if there will be more DLC like this for Infamous 2

especially with the
supposed cliffhanger ending to Festival of Blood I've heard about

Haint

Loved this to death. The flying power makes me wish SP would do an entire ground up vampire game. The characters, powers, and universe would definitely have the potential to be a lot more awesome than Infamous.

So I bought this due to the PS+ discount.

Believe or not I still haven't even bought/played inFamous2, but due to this being standalone and so cheap, I said what the hell. It seems it's pretty simple to follow anyhow without having touched inFamous2. Plenty familiar with the characters having beaten part 1.
It's super fun, though I wish there was a way to tweak the audio as the bass in WAY TO FUCKING LOUD when you throw a grenade (I live in an apartment complex). It sounds so damn off from the rest of the sound mix. Come to think of it actually, inFamous1 had a really hollow/strange sound mix as well.

Anyway, is the PSN version of inFamous2 solid? Like no performance problems or anything?

DigiMish

demosthenes said:
Just started, anything I should know?

I would recommend exploring the environment and doing side stuff as you see it as opposed to just rushing through the story missions - it's an open world game after all.

Just beat this, absolutely loved it, especially the theme, went great with my horror movie themed weekend. Only missing the UGC and all powers trophies.

DigiMish

Speaking of UGC, if anyone here has a cool UGC missions they made, post it up and I'll add it to the |OT| if it doesn't completely suck.

Thrakier

Ok I went back to DSIII controls. While I liked Move controls in the initial reaction I think DSIII is way superior in terms of moving around.

Also, move trigger is lagging like hell. I can shoot way faster and more frequently with R1.

The graphics are amazing sometimes (catacombs!!!) but man they really are struggling with the framerate. It's borderline playable in some situations.

DigiMish

Thrakier said:
The graphics are amazing sometimes (catacombs!!!) but man they really are struggling with the framerate. It's borderline playable in some situations.

Eh, I wouldn't call it that bad, but definitely lower than in Infamous 2. I don't think it dips into the single digits anywhere.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Thrakier said:
Ok I went back to DSIII controls. While I liked Move controls in the initial reaction I think DSIII is way superior in terms of moving around.

It's the opposite actually. I find the Move controls much better, especially for moving around/camera control. You are always in control of the camera since it's controlled by the wrist. With the DS3, you have to frequently abandon the right stick to access the face buttons, and inFamous uses the face buttons much more than your average shooter. Try rolling in circle while aiming for example. You can't do that with the DS3.

Have you set the Move option to Expert?

Thrakier said:
TTP, I have a feeling that while shooting the move trigger button is a bit laggy/delayed sometimes. It doesn't react as precise as the R1 trigger on the DS3. Feels off. Can you second that?

Perhaps it's a simple analog / digital input difference? Of course it takes less time to push a button than to pull a trigger, albeit you don't have to pull it all the way back in inFamous.

I did some tests and when hammering either the trigger or R1, bolts are fired at the very same rate, which is 3 shots followed by a short pause.

Something odd happens when shooting bombs or blasts tho as cursor stays idle for 3 to 5 frames (the duration of the throwing animation basically). Not sure why is that.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I pre-ordered this because of the discount but still haven't played it. Seeing how short people are saying it is I'll probably run through the whole thing on Monday.

Top Bottom