• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Festival of Blood |OT| What karma choice? Bite or stake 'em!

element

How do you like my Official Thread, element? This is my first one, and since I had some extra time on my hands, I decided to give it a shot.
Well done! I got a big smile when I saw the thread.

Thrakier

TTP said:
It's the opposite actually. I find the Move controls much better, especially for moving around/camera control. You are always in control of the camera since it's controlled by the wrist. With the DS3, you have to frequently abandon the right stick to access the face buttons, and inFamous uses the face buttons much more than your average shooter. Try rolling in circle while aiming for example. You can't do that with the DS3.

Have you set the Move option to Expert?

Perhaps it's a simple analog / digital input difference? Of course it takes less time to push a button than to pull a trigger, albeit you don't have to pull it all the way back in inFamous.

I did some tests and when hammering either the trigger or R1, bolts are fired at the very same rate, which is 3 shots followed by a short pause.

Something odd happens when shooting bombs or blasts tho as cursor stays idle for 3 to 5 frames (the duration of the throwing animation basically). Not sure why is that.

Can't tell you why but I feel much more agile and competent with the DSIII. Even the actual aiming is better with the controller imo. While you are right that you have to abandon the face buttons with DSIII I acutually think moving the camera with the stick works better, it's more precise. Especially looking down from buildings is a pain in the ass with move. It's on Expert, yes.

I don't it's just the difference between analog and digital. Maybe it is but it feels like the trigger sometimes ignores my input, which doesn't happen on the DSIII.

DigiMish

element said:
Well done! I got a big smile when I saw the thread.

Thanks. Also, do you have any idea when the UGC links are all gonna get ironed out on the official Infamous site? For example, when I try to click on "My Published", it just hangs. It's been kinda out of whack since a couple days before FoB came out.

This game is FANTASTIC.

For some weird reason, open-world games give me the heebie-jeebies and I get kind of anxious about the world being *too big*. It's weird.

But this is perfect. Open-world, but not like, super gigantic area. So much fun staking vampires.

Sinthetic said:
The way collecting jars is handled is so good. So frustration free after you unlock the certain upgrade. Classy as heck.

Just got all those jars, and yeah, most fun I've had collecting things ever.

newjeruse

I hope this is a commercially successful venture for SP. I'd love to see more stand alone projects like this. I really enjoyed the shorter play time, the price that comes along with that, and the quick ramp up to all hell breaking loose.

Edgeward

Flight power is the best power. If SP doesn't include something like it in their next open world game, I'm gonna stake a bitch.

Zooming around collecting the jars of blood is so much fun because of how good the flying feels.

Loved everything except the last boss fight, that was just monotonous killing waves of zombie creatures.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Thrakier said:
Can't tell you why but I feel much more agile and competent with the DSIII. Even the actual aiming is better with the controller imo. While you are right that you have to abandon the face buttons with DSIII I acutually think moving the camera with the stick works better, it's more precise. Especially looking down from buildings is a pain in the ass with move. It's on Expert, yes.

I don't it's just the difference between analog and digital. Maybe it is but it feels like the trigger sometimes ignores my input, which doesn't happen on the DSIII.

Yeah, the way camera pitch works makes it so that it's slightly slower to get the camera to point all the way down, especially if you accidentally point it too much away from the screen as that halts camera movement altogether. But then again with Move you can look down from buildings while doing anything you can think of. With the DS3 you are forced to keep the stick tilted down otherwise the camera will recenter automatically as you walk around, forcing you to look down again. Unless you are in aim mode of course, albeit in this case the camera re-centers as you release L1, which is not the case with the Move.

But more than anything is the accessibility of all your "weapons" while controlling the camera that really makes a difference in my opinion. I do feel much more agile and effective in combat, both when attacking as well as when rolling, in every circumstance (vertical or horizontal confrontations). It does help that the camera also turns faster with the Move in aim mode, provided you tilt it accordingly.

Also, I find it more intuitive to activate the thrusters by "double jumping" (X > Hold X) instead of the traditional X > Hold R1.

About the trigger thing, I dunno what to say. Never fails me. :D

Oh, element, got my PM?

amitlu

Banned
Loved this, just finished up some UGCs for the trophy and found a few good ones that were multipart and good races too. But really the Move controls are so good that I was just looking for an excuse to run around the city shooting stuff again with it.

To the guy talking about a delay on shooting, I think what you are feeling is just the fact that shoot on the Move is the trigger while on the DS3 is a bumper or really short trigger so it just feels more responsive. The Move trigger has a lot of 'give' to it also so if you don't hit it hard and fast it'll seem like it took longer to execute the shoot command. One thing that is a little annoying to me is the fact that the Move is so precise that even hitting the trigger makes it move a little bit which is picked up by the sensors and can throw my aim off slightly.

I agree with TTP that the Move controls allow you to be much more fluid in combat, once you get used to them. Not having to switch my thumb over to face buttons and lose control of aiming/cursor is awesome. I can't wait for them to patch it into the main game.

edit: I played with 'expert' camera controls, not really sure what this does because I thought it would change camera rotation speed but I did a few tests and couldn't tell a difference.

Thrakier

TTP said:
Yeah, the way camera pitch works makes it so that it's slightly slower to get the camera to point all the way down, especially if you accidentally point it too much away from the screen as that halts camera movement altogether. But then again with Move you can look down from buildings while doing anything you can think of. With the DS3 you are forced to keep the stick tilted down otherwise the camera will recenter automatically as you walk around, forcing you to look down again. Unless you are in aim mode of course, albeit in this case the camera re-centers as you release L1, which is not the case with the Move.

But more than anything is the accessibility of all your "weapons" while controlling the camera that really makes a difference in my opinion. I do feel much more agile and effective in combat, both when attacking as well as when rolling, in every circumstance (vertical or horizontal confrontations). It does help that the camera also turns faster with the Move in aim mode, provided you tilt it accordingly.

Also, I find it more intuitive to activate the thrusters by "double jumping" (X > Hold X) instead of the traditional X > Hold R1.

About the trigger thing, I dunno what to say. Never fails me. :D

Oh, element, got my PM?

Hm, you remember that the Move controller was/is kinda laggy in the PSN chat? That's how the trigger feels to me in FoB.

just finished it and racked up 100% trophies :p Good stuff and the flying power was really fun. Too bad it was only so short! Could have played double the amount and was really waiting for
a real boss battle with the True Form of Mary, as mentioned in the backstory, maybe in the sequel?! :D

dreamfall

Really, really loved it. Perfect to set the mood for Halloween and the story was really fun- just kind of a creepy, campy vamp tale. Nothing felt more amazing than pressing R1 to bite!

EDIT: Great job on the OP! Nice to see this getting it's own thread!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Callibretto said:
now we need werewolf dlc. :D

Oh that would be awesome as well. Cole would just be super fast, give him some mad ass claws so he can just run up walls without having to hook onto ledges.......... springing from one building to another to climb would be awesome.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Oh that would be awesome as well. Cole would just be super fast, give him some mad ass claws so he can just run up walls without having to hook onto ledges.......... springing from one building to another to climb would be awesome.

you know what, now I hope Sucker Punch is making new IP next. I love inFamous, but it seems Cole is kinda tapped out in terms of what other abilities they can add to Cole's electric ability (other than teleporting like Kessler which will probably controlled a bit like flying here but faster more instantaneous) and Cole's ability favor long range combat with most abilities played like guns/grenades.

I'd like to see Sucker Punch make new IP or new character within infamous universe with more balanced close range/long range abilities. fantasy setting like vampire here is awesome. stacking vampire make me fight closer to enemies than how I would play infamous 2 where sometimes I just shooting guys from afar. fights in this dlc feels more hectic, but fun.

Just finished it, going to do some UGC, but overall it was awesome, the right amount of humor, the right amount of action, I hope more people pick this up, totally worth it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Pupi18 said:
As Useless as Castlevania LOS DLC maybe even a bit more IMO

So you're telling me that CLOS and iF2FOB are the same?

At least FOB is 4 hours worth of stuff to do and enjoy, not like LOS and 2 chapters that were rehashes and asked $9.99 each for < 2 hours worth of content

Yeah 4 hours for $9.99 > 4 hours for $19.99 (in which you still need the Disc to play the DLC)

Hope Sucker Punch keeps doing these, I wouldn't mind revisiting the game for $10 morsels for 4-6 hours of goodness

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
amitlu said:
edit: I played with 'expert' camera controls, not really sure what this does because I thought it would change camera rotation speed but I did a few tests and couldn't tell a difference.

There is a difference in camera speed and acceleration, but it seems to be more pronounced between Beginner and Standard than it is between Standard and Expert.

Yeah, this is pretty awesome! Haven't gotten that far with but it is such a nice place to be in, so atmospheric, great fire and fireworks, very smooth, it feels so effortless. And I didn't even buy or play Infamous 2 yet, just a few hours of Infamous 1 (as the PSN gift) and the Infamous 2 demo.

And omg I just love the Move controls! They're so smooth and precise, and it feels so natural to shoot with them! If I end up completing this DLC then good chance I'll go for Infamous 2 as well once that gets Move controls. They work so well you start wondering whether this kind of analog stick replacement should be made default and mandatory for all games.

I only found this to be ok. I haven't yet played inFamous 2 but this seemed to have a similar problem to the first: lack of enemy and mission variety and decent monster/boss fights. Everything seemed to be "go here, then fight". It seemed slim even by DLC standards in my opinion. Perhaps the UGC will make up for it, I've been having a play around with that. Still, it's made me hold off on purchasing iFamous 2 for a while, which is a shame because I was rather looking forward to playing it.

Sinthetic

Having to do 20 UGC missions is a total chore, regrettably I'm leaving my fond memories of FoB before I started the user stuff.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Guts Of Thor said:
Can anyone point me in the direction of the last of Mary's Teaching's? I've been flying all over the city using the special power but nothing has shown up.

You don't see the teachings by using the flying power (as you most likely know), you have to use your vampire sense to find the glyphs and follow their trails to find the teachings. It's a pain in the ass, but it's doable :)

Excellent game. Outside of the UGC missions I think the only trophy I have left is to bite someone in a parade. I haven't seen any parades, do they follow a particular route?

I suppose the highest praise I can give is I was left wanting more. Honestly if I had more money and less stuff on my plate I would have bought Infamous 2 right after beating this. I hope they make another one of these bite sized infamouses. I'd take six $10 games with different themes and powers over one $60 game any day of the week

Ravage

HamPster PamPster said:
Excellent game. Outside of the UGC missions I think the only trophy I have left is to bite someone in a parade. I haven't seen any parades, do they follow a particular route?

I suppose the highest praise I can give is I was left wanting more. Honestly if I had more money and less stuff on my plate I would have bought Infamous 2 right after beating this. I hope they make another one of these bite sized infamouses. I'd take six $10 games with different themes and powers over one $60 game any day of the week

Episodic inFamous could be amazing :)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
HamPster PamPster said:

There aren't any parades per se, just look for those people wearing those big head masks (I think they tend to go around playing drums) and bite one of them (I got the trophy when I bit a random person)

GeoramA

HamPster PamPster said:
You get that right after Cole becomes a vampire, with the couple kissing in the middle of the street. Bite one of them.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
enjoyed this dlc and would rate it as top 3 this gen. doing the 20 ugc was pretty lame because some levels were down right terrible. i am guessing they will continue with the dlc since they have the other zones on the map.

This thread convinced me to get this, so I finished downloading it a while ago, and will play it tonight. I loved inFamous and inFamous 2, so this should be great. Plus, it's Halloween and I'm not doing anything else tonight.

Edit: Finished the game and got all the trophies. Loved it!

You shouldn't just edit your post, the world of GAF needs to know this game is ace AND is standalone, and the thread needs all the bumps it can get!

I'm still halfway, played some Uncharted 3 yesterday, but although I love it, I think that tonight I'm going to go on playing more Festival instead. More praising words can barely be spoken?

newjeruse said:
I hope this is a commercially successful venture for SP. I'd love to see more stand alone projects like this. I really enjoyed the shorter play time, the price that comes along with that, and the quick ramp up to all hell breaking loose.

I think the length is perfect. I'd love there to be a couple other holiday-related DLC packs. The flying power also solves my major gripes with 1+2.

I'm not too far in but this game totally reminded me of why I preferred inFamous 1 to 2. inFamous 2 didn't really seem to have any "focused" levels like the way this starts out and some of the areas in inFamous 1. Pretty much everything in inFamous 2 took place in the main world and there weren't a whole lot of tightly designed areas to fight in.

Thrakier

I love the indoor combat and stuff. But the framerate outside...oh boy oh boy. That's truly the stuff of nightmares sometimes. I swear it feels like it goes well beyond 20.

Thrakier

I'm done with it now. Move controls were ok. Overall look and feel was nice. Framerate was atrocious. Graphics are between wow super awesome and ok. I had some problems with the sound sometimes (distortions). Overall...yeah...10 was ok. Maybe more like 7,99 but whatever.

Sinthetic

Thrakier said:
I'm done with it now. Move controls were ok. Overall look and feel was nice. Framerate was atrocious. Graphics are between wow super awesome and ok. I had some problems with the sound sometimes (distortions). Overall...yeah...10 was ok. Maybe more like 7,99 but whatever.

Sound was definitely an issue, on the screens that had the time countdown, the audio would go nuts and crackle.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sinthetic said:
Sound was definitely an issue, on the screens that had the time countdown, the audio would go nuts and crackle.

Yeah, I even recorded that for my analysis. I'm happy I did cos I was worried it was not the game but my home theater speakers breaking up.

Sinthetic

TTP said:
Yeah, I even recorded that for my analysis. I'm happy I did cos I was worried it was not the game but my home theater speakers breaking up.

Much rather an error on the game than the home system! ;D

I'm past the 4 hours story mark, and not quite sure how I should progress the story. Am I required to do the next UCG mission by SuckerPunch? Or should I (keep, cleaned up one already) hunting for vampire lunch boxes (i.e. people in cages)?

Top Bottom