• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Kssio_Aug

Anybody not have the Expert playthrough trophy pop for them when they beat the game? Just happened to me, and I changed it from jump street (it was my 2nd/evil playthrough)

I don't do trophies really, but was cool with trying to Platinum this.. Not if I need to do a fucking 3rd playthrough though.

To prevent this kind of problem, right at my 1st playhrough I seted it to expert and reseted the game. So it started already at expert. Got the trophy with no problems!

I'm trying for Platinum playing Evil now, and wow Evil Delsin is such a dick. Evil Cole wasn't this big of a dick, he was just selfish. I kind of don't want to finish the Evil story.

Yeah, he is kind of scary actually. And you still do not saw much! Evil Karma is heavy!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm trying for Platinum playing Evil now, and wow Evil Delsin is such a dick. Evil Cole wasn't this big of a dick, he was just selfish. I kind of don't want to finish the Evil story.

Yeah, he's just plain unlikeable. Not even the cool kind of evil. He just seems like a lowlife.

Good Delsin is a great character though.

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, he's just plain unlikeable. Not even the cool kind of evil. He just seems like a lowlife.

Actually it felt like
someone who gets powerfull and becomes too arrogant and lose control of himself
. I liked both ends by what they show us. Evil Karma
is really heavy and feel very wrong

JoRo

Is it seriously easy to plat? I mean for people (like me) who don't typically go for trophies. I think I should be done with my first playthrough tonight, but I've gotten frustrated a few times on my normal (Good karma) run. I can only imagine how annoying the DUP is on expert and "ain't nobody got time for dat".

Two things here. 1) You'll be more familiar with enemies, locations, bosses, etc. so that alone will make things easier playing on expert. 2) Playing evil simplifies things because you can kill civilians, DUP, police, etc. without consequence.

The plat is actually pretty easy. I switched it over to expert on second playthrough as soon as I started a new game and still got the trophy.

How is "best power" even debatable?! Neon all day. Not even close.

So, about to start my evil/expert run. Hopefully it doesn't prove too difficult. Will definitely be focusing on the neon tree. Not looking forward to doing the
he who dwells
battle again, though. Ugh.

I wouldn't do Neon on evil. It just meshes better as a good power.
Video
and smoke are better as evil, imo. And there is no way neon is the "best power." Of course, that can be subjective, but when it comes to traversal, nothing can beat
video
. The
invisibility power is awesome with 3 demons, plus video torrent and rockets are way more effective
. And that boss battle is not hard when all you have to do is basically
sit on the vents that launch you in the air. His laser and rockets will always miss you. Also, try to shoot as many angels as you can when he breaks apart and flies to the other side of the arena
. Makes the battle go by so much quicker.

What I missed with video was the unlimited run (faster to get around than the Videa flying--that should have been upgrade to unlimited too) and the grenades.

Invisibility is cool, but grenades (neon or smoke) where better for taking out clustered enemies IMO since the invisibility didn't last super long even fully upgraded.

That said, I've only done a good playthrough so I may have a different opinion if I ever get around to doing an evil run.

Traversal with
video
is way better than neon. With neon, you have no way of continuing your trajectory, you start dropping like a rock until you're almost to the bottom of the next building or skyscraper. With
video
, you can literally
dash jump, fly, hover, fly again, and dash jump
for some crazy nonstop air. There's no distance you can't instantly cover with
video.

Oh god, wait till you see dat ending.

Gotta agree with this. Good Delsin is a great character. To me, the evil side of the story didn't sync up with a lot of the "common" cutscenes between the two playthroughs. Like he
threatens Reggie, and in the next minute they're chatting away like nothing serious happened.

Pop

Part 4 of paper trails is very interesting. Just got done with it. I like where this is heading actually.

Goldenhen

I got platinum trophy and I have to say this is easiest platinum trophy to get on PS4. It is also the easiest to get compare to my other all platinum trophies.

Expert isn't really that hard and I only died around 25% more than my first playthrough.

FeiRR

Banned
Has this been posted?

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/art-directing-effects-for-infamous-second-son/

It's a pretty interesting look at some of the tech used in the game.

Thank you for sharing. Very interesting read.

Everything is procedural in our game, nothing was really animated.

Yummy!
dog-licking-lips.jpg

I'm really crawling through this, I think because I find the quality and variety of the mechanics so great, but the actual campaign and side missions so repetitious and dull.

Just got the third power, and I'm finding after upgrading the first three, neon becomes sorta pointless. I mean, getting around with the infinite dash is easy as hell, but functionally kind of slow really since you're spending more time going up and down instead of making horizontal progress - I mean, unless you like to stick to roads. Third power feels useless until you upgrade the air skills, then it feels almost OP. Seems you mostly lose out on the benefits of both smoke and neon, but you get the ability to spray or subdue with much less effort than either.

In general though, playing as good, I can see the benefits of continuing to upgrade neon, yet I still find myself switching to smoke for most fights to cheese with smoke bomb and subdue.

I'm really crawling through this, I think because I find the quality and variety of the mechanics so great, but the actual campaign and side missions so repetitious and dull.

Just got the third power, and I'm finding after upgrading the first three, neon becomes sorta pointless. I mean, getting around with the infinite dash is easy as hell, but functionally kind of slow really since you're spending more time going up and down instead of making horizontal progress - I mean, unless you like to stick to roads. Third power feels useless until you upgrade the air skills, then it feels almost OP. Seems you mostly lose out on the benefits of both smoke and neon, but you get the ability to spray or subdue with much less effort than either.

In general though, playing as good, I can see the benefits of continuing to upgrade neon, yet I still find myself switching to smoke for most fights to cheese with smoke bomb and subdue.

I have to say, I feel this is Second Son's weakness. Mission design was kinda plain, apart from a few standout missions.

Not that I felt like I was 'crawling' through it, I am chomping at the bit for more. I can just pop around the city, I love it. But there could have been more to it. It's a launch window game, so yeah.

Zaki2407

Bought this game last night. Very enjoying experience so far. So, for GAFers who live in Seattle, how close this in-game city model to the actual one? ^_^

^ I don't think a person (even a super-powered one) can run across Seattle in five minutes.

So I sold this back yesterday for credit towards titanfall 360. Repetitive enemies, repetitive missions, samey powers, just not fun for me. Graphics are great though.

I have also sold my copy, although I enjoyed the game (but not the complete lack of difficulty.) The money is going towards buying a Nexus 7.

I wish the neon powers were their own game and not tied to Infamous.

Actually you can get it if you did the digital pre-order too. I did it, and paid the normal price (60 dollars).

Concrete looks good really. My 1st impression was very disappointing but I used it a little more and it was fine. However would be good to have more upgrades and a special move. And to be honest... I think I may prefer concrete over Neon too; however too bad its the worst power to climb builds.

Yeah,
concrete
is cool, but I find myself not using it as much because of its lack of verticality.

Smoke is by far the best power to use in combat during a good run. Headshot Knockouts and insane radius smoke grenades leading to dash subdues of everyone just can't be beat. You'll get your Karma Bomb in an instant (at which point you should switch to Neon for the insanely overpowered KB attack).

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
This is probably the stupidest game I've finished in a long time. There must be some redeeming quality that kept me playing, but I can't figure out what it was. Almost everything about it was vaguely annoying, but still vaguely satisfying, like a hot dog that got dropped in an ashy campfire served on a burned bun topped with that dribble of mustard water that comes out upon first squeeze. I guess I was just hungry :/.

Bought this game last night. Very enjoying experience so far. So, for GAFers who live in Seattle, how close this in-game city model to the actual one? ^_^

I live east of Seattle in Spokane but have been there quite a few times. Geographically, it doesn't really look like Seattle at all. There's no steep hills like around Pikes Place. No expanded dock area. No residential suburbs, etc.
What it does capture is the essence and flavor though :)

Zaki2407

I live east of Seattle in Spokane but have been there quite a few times. Geographically, it doesn't really look like Seattle at all. There's no steep hills like around Pikes Place. No expanded dock area. No residential suburbs, etc.
What it does capture is the essence and flavor though :)
Sounds good enough for me hehe. Thanks (^^)v

coldone

Is it seriously easy to plat? I mean for people (like me) who don't typically go for trophies. I think I should be done with my first playthrough tonight, but I've gotten frustrated a few times on my normal (Good karma) run. I can only imagine how annoying the DUP is on expert and "ain't nobody got time for dat".

I havent seen any big difference between normal and expert. Try to build your karmic bomb then run and finish the nearby DUP stations. It is very easy with neon karmic bomb to clear up the entire DUP mobile command station in few seconds.

Concrete looks good really. My 1st impression was very disappointing but I used it a little more and it was fine. However would be good to have more upgrades and a special move. And to be honest... I think I may prefer concrete over Neon too; however too bad its the worst power to climb builds.

I actually like it the best traversal-wise too. It's the only one to make you feel Magneto-like and hence god-like.

Finished.

The framerate during the final boss is smoooooooooth. Jeez. I thought the game was smooth most of the time but then BAMM! 60fps!
Also they are clearly still chasing climbing the trash tower from the first game.

Ok game. Maybe my least favourite Infamous game though.

Going for more powers felt unnecessary. Infamous 1 and 2 felt tighter in that regard. Every power felt unique and useful especially in Infamous 1.

The whole game made me remember how awesome Infamous 1 was. It had a great villain, AMAZING ending, every new power felt like it was important, better overall story that was more over the top and comicbook-y with more better sub villains and characters. Zeke was a asshole who only rivalled Killzone 2's Rico in "I WANT TO KILL THIS DUDE". The city had a pretty dark, urban atmosphere.

If the make a Infamous 4 I hope they tone down the number of powers but go crazy with over the top villains like the first game.

Might try the evil path for fun and to kill time before trials.

Chinner

Banned
After platinuming this game, these are my ending thoughts on Infamous: Second son.

I actually only played the original Infamous last year, and was pleasantly surprised by it. There was a lot of variety in the game and it was fleshed out with it's mission design and story, even if the graphics and gameplay were a little bit average. You get a sense of who the characters are and an attachment to your area. I think the irony is that Infamous and I: Second Son are the opposites in what they are achieve right.

What Infamous achieves with it's graphics and delivery, it fails to deliver with genuine content. The missions in this game are bullet point based with the player being ushered onto the next without much regard or development of what's actually happened. Characters come and go without explanation, there are no scenarios that make you think outside the box with your powers and the side content is standard padding. The fourth power is underdevelopment and the actual fighting component of the powers have little variety between them.

Despite this, it is a fun game. The gameplay is pretty strong and Sucker Punch has made travelling distinctive and fast while making believable environment boosts to compliment the power sources. The graphics are the best I've seen with characters and Seattle looking great with natural lighting. Although the story is brief, the game is really aided by the facial expressions and you get a sense of who they are almost. The cutscenes are fun to watch (even though you're unable to skip them) The best part of this game is running up skyscrapers while taking in the views.

so yeah it's a fun game but it's not a game i would keep in your collection. i'm looking to sell it now to get my money back.

Twinduct

Finished.

The framerate during the final boss is smoooooooooth. Jeez. I thought the game was smooth most of the time but then BAMM! 60fps!
Also they are clearly still chasing climbing the trash tower from the first game.

Going for more powers felt unnecessary. Infamous 1 and 2 felt tighter in that regard. Every power felt unique and useful especially in Infamous 1.

The whole game made me remember how awesome Infamous 1 was. It had a great villain, AMAZING ending, every new power felt like it was important, better overall story that was more over the top and comicbook-y with more better sub villains and characters. Zeke was a asshole who only rivalled Killzone 2's Rico in "I WANT TO KILL THIS DUDE". The city had a pretty dark, urban atmosphere.

If the make a Infamous 4 I hope they tone down the number of powers but go crazy with over the top villains like the first game.

Agree with this. Focus on one to two powers. Hell I think Infamous 2 struck a decent balance with the base power and the good/ evil power ... just needed a bigger move set.

I'd be totally happy with a sequel starring Fetch.

I'd be jazzed to just have neon powers.

I have to say, I am glad paper trail exists, otherwise I'd have been more disappointed by the game. But the fact that it's teasing new powers, I am still pretty excited.

And yeah, it really is still a launch window title, I'd love to see what they do next time round.

sunnz

When ever I am walking ( in real life) I always wish I could do the smoke dash power thing, more so than any other powers manoeuvrability ( except
video wings for going up walls)

NeoRausch

hey ummm... i wanna see the Gum Wall!

I just remembered that screenshot and never saw it in the game.

can somebody post a screen with placed marked?
would be much appreciated!

I have to say, I am glad paper trail exists, otherwise I'd have been more disappointed by the game. But the fact that it's teasing new powers, I am still pretty excited.

And yeah, it really is still a launch window title, I'd love to see what they do next time round.

I don't mind DLC with Fetch, no way entire game with her

Violater

Whelp going to break a longstanding rule of not trading in my games.
My list for this year will probably be, Watch_Dogs, Dying Light, Arkham Knight, Destiny
Please be good
, maybe Transistor and the Order.
Hopefully some of the F2P games get relased.

GeoramA

I'd love if SP went the GTA V route and you'd be able to play as multiple conduits.

And I still think there's going to be an inFamous that follows the evil ending to i2. There's gotta be, it was too awesome and
Cole was still alive.

Solidone

Neo Member
No chucks Delsin?

Just finished the game and I remember that in the developer walkthrough and in the trailer they showed Delsing wearing chuck taylors :D.

Too bad they didn't stuck with em, I wonder why they changed them.

spekkeh

Banned
Just started playing this game. Boy it's a looker. Is Sucker Punch considered b tier Sony exclusives maker? Because I'm mightily impressed. Getting close to believable character emoting. The story might not be great but at least it's delivered well (so far). I'm suddenly a lot more optimistic about next gen than before.

Finished the game. Graphics are gorgeous and the gameplay was tight, but I felt like a lot of it was a step back to the other games. Powers don't feel distinct enough aside from traversal options - why was perma neon run locked behind upgrades? - and the mission design feels too similar to most of the bad parts in the first game - go here, shoot some guys, climb a thing shoot a thing - same goes for most boss fights - spam missiles, recharge, repeat. Overall it's a step back from the other two games and it's kinda weird to play an open world game that feels so short - game left me "well, that's it?" At the end.

Overall a really good launch window game, but I'm more excited for a sequel where Sucker Punch can just do the game and not worry about building a graphic showcase.

FUCK!!!!! Someone Spoiler Tag how to beat that
fucking Angel Demon
. I spent 2 hours trying to beat that damn thing and I can't my quick twitch is sub par now that I'm older.

Thanks in Advance.

Took the time to play and fight this boss and finally whipped him oh so satisfying. Was playing MLB 14 The show non stop Road to the Show. Wow going from a PS3 game to a PS4 game is really jarring.

Finished.

Its funny because i hated Zeke in inFamous 1. Oddly enough he became one of my favorite things in 2 and FoB though.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Sometimes being the good guy isn't what I want to do. I really wanted to
kill Hank
but I couldn't because I was set on the Blue path.

EGOMON

Just started playing this game. Boy it's a looker. Is Sucker Punch considered b tier Sony exclusives maker? Because I'm mightily impressed. Getting close to believable character emoting. The story might not be great but at least it's delivered well (so far). I'm suddenly a lot more optimistic about next gen than before.

Yes they are first party studio, and i agree the voice acting and the facial expression are so damn impressive and yes next-gen is going awesome especially with Sony's mighty 1st party studios

Blackage

Started my Infamous Evil Playthrough, the first choice makes me feel so terrible. -_-

I was playing it @ work on my Vita and I was pleasantly surprised that for Spray can sections I don't have to do the mini-game on vita, just turn the vita side-ways and shake it and you're done heh.

someday

Banned
Been loving the Paper Trail stuff... up until this fucking puzzle you have to do 7 times on the website. Frustrating as hell.
I didn't mind that one so much but I'm not going to print and put together the puzzle for the latest one. I might be done with papertrail.

Got my Platinum the other day. Way too easy imo. Expert level is pretty much a joke because the powers are a tad overpowered if you know how to use it right. Beat all the boss battles in 1 shot and the video ability is EXTREMELY cheesy to use for the final battles. Could probably beat Augustine without getting touched if i cared to try. Either way the game was awesome. A little too short. Wish there were more side missions. The main campaign has to be about 4-6 hours right? And you can't skip cutscenes which pads more time. Still awesome for a launch window title.

For me i personally like one power. Maybe 2 for a couple of missions. By the time you get video the game is almost over and when you get rock the game is already over! I did all collections before hand so i had jack shit to do with rock. lol. If there's another infamous which i hope, make it more like infamous 1. Focus on one power, grittier city, and more fleshed out story. Wasn't nearly as interesting as the first games. Still really fun to play though. Give it a solid 8.

Melchiah

Got my Platinum the other day. Way too easy imo. Expert level is pretty much a joke because the powers are a tad overpowered if you know how to use it right. Beat all the boss battles in 1 shot and the video ability is EXTREMELY cheesy to use for the final battles. Could probably beat Augustine without getting touched if i cared to try. Either way the game was awesome. A little too short. Wish there were more side missions. The main campaign has to be about 4-6 hours right? And you can't skip cutscenes which pads more time. Still awesome for a launch window title.

I've liked it a lot, that the Platinums seem to be easier to obtain for us less hardcore players. I hope Resogun & Infamous aren't some freak occurrences, and that this is a sign of how it's going to be with other games as well. I always hated how the Platinums were put too high out of reach on the PS3, and if this is an actual change, it's a very welcome one.

Bebpo

Banned
Why is this game called Second Son?

Just finished it and I think Infamous 2 is definitely the much better, meatier game. This feels kind of like Infamous 1 again. Good base, but pretty average game. Sequel could be good with more content and variety.

Top Bottom