• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

leng jai

Whatever. It's not short. It compares to other games in the genre. And this one deserves two play throughs.

It's leagues shorter than Skyrim, GTA, RDR, Fallout and even Sleep Dogs. How does it "deserve" two playthroughs, because they added an arbitrary moral system that forces you to play twice to see everything?

It's leagues shorter than Skyrim, GTA, RDR, Fallout and even Sleep Dogs. How does it "deserve" two playthroughs, because they added an arbitrary moral system that forces you to play twice to see everything?

Are you really comparing it to Skyrim and Fallout? Those are a completely different genre (RPG). I do agree that it's on the short side, though. But it's built for two playthroughs - one good and one evil. With that in mind, it's similar to the length in Sleeping Dogs. I like Infamous' length.

daman824

Are you really comparing it to Skyrim and Fallout? Those are a completely different genre (RPG). I do agree that it's on the short side, though. But it's built for two playthroughs - one good and one evil. With that in mind, it's similar to the length in Sleeping Dogs. I like Infamous' length.
The different game playthroughs hardly effect anything outside of cutscenes. Sorry, I can see that on youtube. I'm not re-doing the same boss battles, and a majority of the same main quests to get 5 extra cutscenes.

Whatever. It's not short. It compares to other games in the genre. And this one deserves two play throughs.

I dislike longass games that are long for no reason, but come on now. Call a spade a spade. It's short.

How do you even call the game "not short" when two major secondary characters had only two story missions to themselves? Seriously, play the game again and see how the main story arc was framed. The plot moves a ridiculously fast pace and jumps like crazy between characters. Long exposition backstory about Fetch and
Eugene
, and they pretty much completely disappear after their two missions are over. They randomly show up at
Augustine's off-shore fortress, and they don't even bother to explain how they escaped that alive. The endings only very briefly mention their existence. You fight Augustine again, one of the battle being identical, not 15 minutes after the first time you squared off. If you square off against the Big Bad you typically do it around halfway through the game, to give you a "taste" of what the final battle will be and what it'll entail. Having them both occur nearly identically and so closely isn't an effective storytelling tool, it's an awkward stutter.

The game's story pacing was completely bizarre and off-beat. No time given to unwind or develop their characters, or time to develop any other major plot points for that matter. The entire story is up and over in 8 hours. How is that "not short"?

I really only did the two playthroughs for the Platinum. inFamous's alternate good/ending second-play-throughs only have VERY brief and subtle changes in the story and gameplay. At least it was more evident in inFamous 2 when you got completely new powers. With Second Son the differences were negligible.

JoRo

Wow, seems like everyone went from loving the game earlier in the thread to hating on it. I felt I got my $60 worth, and the two playthroughs felt different enough for me to enjoy it a second time. Now that I've got my platinum and have done pretty much everything in the game besides complete Paper Trail missions (since you can't at this point), I can see some faults people would find in the mission structure. I doubt they would do this, but I really hope Sucker Punch adds some dynamic events to keep city-wandering interesting. The
DUP Raids
in post-game are a touch of that, just wish there was more to do after everything is done. Not much reason to keep playing after both playthroughs are done. At any rate, I loved the game, and felt like this was the first true "next-gen" game. First PS4 game I've beat since getting it my PS4 mid-March. I never trade-in my games, but I'll pop in to play the Paper Trail missions in the hopes of a new
paper
power. They even go so far in the descriptions in the ARG to lay out some of the combat powers
(paper armor, paper projectiles, and "paper origami constructs")

Nags

Banned
Loved this game from top to bottom. Haven't seen a higher fidelity game on any current gen console.
Perfect length. Any longer and would have felt like too much after playing ACIV, GTAV and Saints Row 4 this year. I'm done with lengthy open world games for awhile. I'll definitely pick up any DLC if it adds new areas to use those
concrete powers :)

damidu

on my way to platinum, will be my first. not regretting my purchase.
but i knew what to expect. might be different story for a new comer.

infamous games always felt short on side-content and mission variety. and feel repetitive after some point.
thing is what you repeat is fun gameplay (for me at least) most of the time unlike say assasin's creed.

will write a longer impression after i'm done with it.

Wow, seems like everyone went from loving the game earlier in the thread to hating on it. I felt I got my $60 worth, and the two playthroughs felt different enough for me to enjoy it a second time. Now that I've got my platinum and have done pretty much everything in the game besides complete Paper Trail missions (since you can't at this point), I can see some faults people would find in the mission structure. I doubt they would do this, but I really hope Sucker Punch adds some dynamic events to keep city-wandering interesting. The
DUP Raids
in post-game are a touch of that, just wish there was more to do after everything is done. Not much reason to keep playing after both playthroughs are done. At any rate, I loved the game, and felt like this was the first true "next-gen" game. First PS4 game I've beat since getting it my PS4 mid-March. I never trade-in my games, but I'll pop in to play the Paper Trail missions in the hopes of a new
paper
power. They even go so far in the descriptions in the ARG to lay out some of the combat powers

Loved this game from top to bottom. Haven't seen a higher fidelity game on any current gen console.
Perfect length. Any longer and would have felt like too much after playing ACIV, GTAV and Saints Row 4 this year. I'm done with lengthy open world games for awhile. I'll definitely pick up any DLC if it adds new areas to use those
concrete powers :)

These are my thoughts on the infamous SS too. I think some people are genuinely disappointed because SS didn't turn out the way they thought it should have or was expecting something that Sucker Punch never claimed to be creating. I have a huge backlog on my PS4, XB1, Wii U, Vita, and 3DS so when a action game comes out that is less than 20 hrs for one playthrough, I'm happy. The story they are telling didn't need to be in a long game. Stretching it out would have overstayed its welcome. Plus, it's length makes it easier for me to want to replay it and attempt to get the Platinum. There's things it could improve on but overall, I love it and felt it was worth the price tag.

BWHAHAHA! FINALLY (had some time!)

901989_1441391509439713_6842550273506621654_o.jpg
Got mine yesterday as well. First, and possible only, platinum I'll ever get. Game was just so damn fun.

velcry

I have a problem with re-downloading the DLC for Infamous Second Son, hope you can help.

I redeemed my codes for the pre-order jackets + Cole's Legacy, and although under the "Related Items" tab the DLC has been marked as "Download Completed", I couldn't actually find the DLC in-game.

Another Neogaf poster recommended that I delete the game data and reinstall everything, but I found that I cannot actually go to the store and re-download the DLC. The DLC remains marked as "Download Completed", and there are simply no button inputs possible for me to re-download the DLC.

Anyone got any tips? I hear that reformatting my entire HDD is a way to do it, but that's a last resort for now.

Thanks!

Finished my quick good playthrough and while I really enjoyed the game it definitely felt a bit rushed. Game is unbelievably gorgeous and very polished but there isn't very much content in the game which would be fine if it was improved from inFamous 2 but it wasn't. There were very few real set pieces and a lot of the more interesting missions and custom camera work present in inFamous 2 was taken out and Second Son's missions are all very basic. The length is particularly frustrating given they removed the mission editor.

Feels like it needed another few months as it comes off as almost unfinished given how quickly the ending came and regression in mission design. Not to mention how the characters you recruit disappear after you do so and only reappear near the ending. Have to give praise to the cutscenes and face modelling though as it was all very believable.

Given the mindblowing presentation and fun gameplay I'm very happy with the $40 I paid for the game. They really nailed down the movement mechanics and running around the city with neon powers is exhilarating. Still, inFamous 2 was a much better game and I was expecting more from Second Son.

fernoca

I have a problem with re-downloading the DLC for Infamous Second Son, hope you can help.

I redeemed my codes for the pre-order jackets + Cole's Legacy, and although under the "Related Items" tab the DLC has been marked as "Download Completed", I couldn't actually find the DLC in-game.

Another Neogaf poster recommended that I delete the game data and reinstall everything, but I found that I cannot actually go to the store and re-download the DLC. The DLC remains marked as "Download Completed", and there are simply no button inputs possible for me to re-download the DLC.

Anyone got any tips? I hear that reformatting my entire HDD is a way to do it, but that's a last resort for now.

Thanks!
Start the game and play normally. Cole's Legacy-missions should appear as you play. The DLC are not actual downloads, but "services". So if you've been playing the game and still no luck, you might need to delete any game data (not the save) and check again.

Zolbrod

Got my Plat as well yesterday.

Yep, the game is short-ish, but I appreciated that.
I probably wouldn't have bothered to do a second run otherwise.

Sid

Nah man,the game's length is terribly short (considering it's an open world game) even compared to its predecessors.Took me ~7 hours to complete my first playthrough (only finished story missions and DUP MCs).

velcry

Start the game and play normally. Cole's Legacy-missions should appear as you play. The DLC are not actual downloads, but "services". So if you've been playing the game and still no luck, you might need to delete any game data (not the save) and check again.

Thanks for replying! I'll delete my game data and try again after reinstalling.

It's just frustrating for me because I've finished my Good playthrough, and before I started on my Evil playthrough I wanted to sort this out so that I can experience Cole's Legacy.

Thanks again!

mishakoz

DUP Raids
paper

For me, the game is a huge step backwards from the prior game. Infamous 2 had better morality choices, was longer, forced you to see more of the city, side missions existed, powers felt more powerful, etc.

In my opinion, this game has very few improvements. Power variety? Great. More lively city? Check. Better story and cutscenes? Yup, definitely.

What I can't shake is the feeling that too much time was devoted to the graphics and not enough attention paid to detailing the adventure. Its a complete adventure in the strictest sense, but it feels like a skeleton of what it could be. Realistically, you should have 4 or 5 good/bad side missions to do with fetch and Eugene, like with nix and quo in the last game. You shouldnt have two encounters with Augustine back to back.
the finale should demand you use every skill you've learned up until now, or at least utilize the open world.

So, I still prefer infamous 1 and 2 to this game despite how quirky they are. I think with building the engine out of the way early on, sucker punch could devote more time and effort to the story and side missions and the like next game, if there is one.

JoRo

Thanks!

You don't actually download the content. I think it's one of those deals where the content is already in the install data, but your code allows you to access it. I found my collectors edition vest by pausing the game, going over to the screen where you can see Delsin's contacts and karma level, select that screen, then cycle left or right on stick/d-pad to change vest. I am curious, I thought the game included a collection of vests from some artists or something, but I never saw those? Thought it was part of the pre-order?

velcry

You don't actually download the content. I think it's one of those deals where the content is already in the install data, but your code allows you to access it. I found my collectors edition vest by pausing the game, going over to the screen where you can see Delsin's contacts and karma level, select that screen, then cycle left or right on stick/d-pad to change vest. I am curious, I thought the game included a collection of vests from some artists or something, but I never saw those? Thought it was part of the pre-order?

I couldn't access the Pre-order Vests DLC, which was why I suspected that my DLC had somehow borked.

When I go to that screen to change Delsin's vests, I can only access 3 vests which are apparently all they give you in the vanilla game. No iam8bit, Penny Arcade etc vests selectable.

And of course, no Cole's Legacy starting exclamation mark. Sigh.

JoRo

For me, the game is a huge step backwards from the prior game. Infamous 2 had better morality choices, was longer, forced you to see more of the city, side missions existed, powers felt more powerful, etc.

In my opinion, this game has very few improvements. Power variety? Great. More lively city? Check. Better story and cutscenes? Yup, definitely.

What I can't shake is the feeling that too much time was devoted to the graphics and not enough attention paid to detailing the adventure. Its a complete adventure in the strictest sense, but it feels like a skeleton of what it could be. Realistically, you should have 4 or 5 good/bad side missions to do with fetch and Eugene, like with nix and quo in the last game. You shouldnt have two encounters with Augustine back to back.
the finale should demand you use every skill you've learned up until now, or at least utilize the open world.

So, I still prefer infamous 1 and 2 to this game despite how quirky they are. I think with building the engine out of the way early on, sucker punch could devote more time and effort to the story and side missions and the like next game, if there is one.

I never played Infamous 2, so that might be why I enjoyed this one more than others. I had a longer break from the series and never got to see the improvements in 2. I actually have the game, it just got buried in my backlog and I had only barely started it, but never got far into it or finished it. I really want to play it now, after your praise for it and how much I enjoyed Second Son and the first infamous.

JoRo

I couldn't access the Pre-order Vests DLC, which was why I suspected that my DLC had somehow borked.

When I go to that screen to change Delsin's vests, I can only access 3 vests which are apparently all they give you in the vanilla game. No iam8bit, Penny Arcade etc vests selectable.

Yeah, I don't know what happened to the iam8bit and penny arcade vests. I never got those for some reason. The Cole missions showed up for me after I did a few story missions after you get to Seattle.

fernoca

Well, Cole's Jacket is unlocked after completing Cole's Legacy. The others are preorder stuff. In that case if you preordered and were supposed to get some extras but no luck, then you might need to contact Sony support (if reinstalling the game data doesn't work).

And yeah, I'm enjoying this...slowly. Not rushing it. Own a digital copy, so is not like I'm in a rush to trade it or store it.Already a "True Hero"and still have tons of stuff to do (just unlocked the third power).

Got the platinum earlier tonight. Really enjoyed my time with the game, although I'll agree that it could have used more variety in side missions, and Fetch and Eugene could have benefited from a few extra missions to properly develop their characters.

I'm sure it was likely because I was really familiar with the mechanics and how the boss fights played out, but did expert seem pretty easy for anyone else? I beat both He Who Dwells and Augustine (both times around) on my first try for each on expert.

damidu

I'm sure it was likely because I was really familiar with the mechanics and how the boss fights played out, but did expert seem pretty easy for anyone else? I beat both He Who Dwells and Augustine (both times around) on my first try for each on expert.

expert wasn't much trouble for me too. both in game and boss fights.
guess it has to do with how extremely kinetic delsin is. its quite easy to get out of a tight spot and dance around enemies.

Melchiah

The different game playthroughs hardly effect anything outside of cutscenes. Sorry, I can see that on youtube. I'm not re-doing the same boss battles, and a majority of the same main quests to get 5 extra cutscenes.

Wrong. The Fetch and
Eugene
missions are different, and there's a tangible difference in the powers. It's quite obvious you haven't played the both sides.

For some reason, paper trial part 3 isn't starting for me.
The website says I need to do a console activity, but there's no paper trail mission marker.

I know it's supposed to start in Georgetown, which I have fully de-DUP'ed.
Do you have to be at a certain stage in the main plot?
I've got the 3rd power, so I thought I'd be fine.

Has it bugged out?

The only real change I noticed from going to Expert is that higher-tier regular enemies start showing up sooner than they do in Normal mode. So that wouldn't really impact boss fights. If Delsin takes more damage in Expert, then it must be a pretty small increase.

Ricky_R

I recently finished the paper trail mission and updated my profile and all that. I gotta say, it blows my mind how every single moment in this game looks so ridiculously good. The game plays awesome and smoothly, but the visuals are so damn mesmerizing I end up smiling so often, and considering this game is so big and running at 1080p, it really is impressive to me. I'm playing on a 55 inch LCD and it looks fucking amazing and clean.

Anyway, game is great. Neon power is nice, but I prefer Smoke tbh. Only thing I would take from the Neon power would be the infinite sprint (or whatever's called) and the high jump attached to it. That, implemented to smoke would make that power miles better than Neon in my book. Just imagine combining the sprint jump with the smoke dash. o_O

I haven't gotten any other power yet though.

---------------------

Btw, question about the paper trail mission. How does work, really? Do I have to complete/investigate every single aspect of it to get the plat trophy?

TheMan

So I sold this back yesterday for credit towards titanfall 360. Repetitive enemies, repetitive missions, samey powers, just not fun for me. Graphics are great though.

Kind of pleased I got infamous as it was the first game that showed me that my PS4 graphics chip was faulty - textures flickering and flashing all over the place! Now sadly in for repair - hope it doesn't take long.

EGOMON

Am still playing the game i just want to say that "Augustine" character is awesome the voice acting and the facial expression is impressive to say the least, well done SP am glad i bought this game

For some reason, paper trial part 3 isn't starting for me.
The website says I need to do a console activity, but there's no paper trail mission marker.

I know it's supposed to start in Georgetown, which I have fully de-DUP'ed.
Do you have to be at a certain stage in the main plot?
I've got the 3rd power, so I thought I'd be fine.

Has it bugged out?

i cant even see part 2 show up on the map. regardless of that, ISS is a 9.5 for me.

best infamous yet!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I never played Infamous 2, so that might be why I enjoyed this one more than others. I had a longer break from the series and never got to see the improvements in 2. I actually have the game, it just got buried in my backlog and I had only barely started it, but never got far into it or finished it. I really want to play it now, after your praise for it and how much I enjoyed Second Son and the first infamous.

I played Infamous 2 just last month, never played the first.

I'd say I liked it and Second Son about equally.

Infamous 2 had better missions for sure, and I liked having a cover system and the melee combat was a lot better with the finishing moves etc.

But Second Son had the better story and characters (which is a big deal to me, maybe not others), a better city to explore, multiple power types, amazing graphics etc.

Lengthwise, I probably spent 15-20 hours on my 100% good playthrough in Second Son, and probably about 20 in my good playthrough of Infamous 2--didn't do everything there as I missed some sidequests and didn't totally clear the second or third islands totally. But probably only missed one mission in each.

I'm fine with the length of both, if anything they both felt a bit long in the tooth toward the end as they both get pretty repetitive--SS more so for sure. 10 hours or so is about my sweet spot for games in terms of getting through them and not just wanting to get them over with by the end.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Btw, question about the paper trail mission. How does work, really? Do I have to complete/investigate every single aspect of it to get the plat trophy?

Nope. No trophies are associated with Papertrail. It's not even all out yet (just 3 parts) and many are already getting the platinum for the game.

Asbear

Banned
I got my PS4 along with it at the start of this month. I've beaten it on expert first run-through in approx 10 hours or so with 100% completion and I'm already playing it again on Infamous to get the rest of the Trophies.

Really good game. Personally I think the core mechanics were better in 1 and 2 though, and the story and especially the DUP feel very unconvincing as part of something that's supposed to represent RL.

I really like the acting, and the writing has a lot of good Nate Fox cornyness to it which I actually like. I was surprised at how much I liked the main cast, but in terms of pure narrative, themes, plot and message I thought the game was shallower than the other two.

Ricky_R

Nope. No trophies are associated with Papertrail. It's not even all out yet (just 3 parts) and many are already getting the platinum for the game.

K, thanks. I'm not too big on secondary stuff or trophies, but I want to get my first plat. and ISS motivated me to do so. I wouldn't want to waste time on the paper trail stuff if it isn't required.

Owzers

Put more time into Infamous....this is a boring fun game. Find the hidden cameras! Spray paint stuff!, find Waldo! Destroy bases! It's the same complaints from game, to game, to game across the entire genre for me. Spend all your time making a world and then have it be empty as hell.

Welp I'm disappointed. I was having fun, playing along then *POW* GAME OVER. I wasn't exactly expecting 50 hours but that was really short. Hell I didn't even realize the game was over until the credits rolled. I have to say the end chapter felt half baked and unsatisfying.

The graphics are pretty, but I am still waiting for the first true "next-gen" experience. Maybe Destiny?

Double D

Just got the 3rd power on my Evil/Expert playthrough. Kind of disappointed there doesn't seem to be a slowdown effect for any power on the evil side. Also doesn't seem like it's more challenging on expert. Maybe its just a combination of me having a better feel for the game and that I can just kill whatever instead of trying to subdue.

I just finished the game I am shocked at how much of a downgrade this is to the first two infamous games. Its not even close, this is a poor sequel. First its like half an Infamous game, it feels unfinished. It has the shitties "side quests" I have ever seen, just cut and paste all over the city. I don't even think the action feels as well done, it just feels more sloppy here.

The first two games, the first one in particular still had platformer DNA in it. Many of the best moments came from simply finding how to reach that shard. Some levels were designed around gigantic structures that you had to climb and fight on, leading to uncharted like moments where climbing and combat were one. Here its just fly everywhere and simply run in circles while you fight.

I am very disappointed.

Sid

Finished my evil playthrough and compared to its predecessors this game has the:-
Best graphics
Best traversal
Best powers
Best protagonist
Best combat
Best cutscenes

But it also has:
Worst SP campaign by a mile
Worst side missions
Terribly short length
Worst bosses except the final two

The game's still pretty fun though,I really dig the
video and concrete
powers.At least the
video
one should have been introduced earlier,they just have that impact (while using their projectiles) which the other powers lack.

My hopes for the next game would be:

• Actual side missions with some kind of story.
  • More diverse powers. Whilst in Second Sons we had more different powers. I felt a lot less powerful overall. There weren't bombs, or shields or multiple amounts of ionic storms.
  • Story needs to be better. Whilst I liked Augustine as a villain, she was incredibly under-utilised. I was really hoping the story would delve a little more into the mythology or at least have some twists.

The collectors edition with dat beanie is in stock on amazon for retail price if anyone wants it

i just ordered one to keep.

but yeah i think i'll be finished tonight or tomorrow , already at 20% completion rate and i started tuesday night

JoRo

My hopes for the next game would be:

• Actual side missions with some kind of story.
  • More diverse powers. Whilst in Second Sons we had more different powers. I felt a lot less powerful overall. There weren't bombs, or shields or multiple amounts of ionic storms.
  • Story needs to be better. Whilst I liked Augustine as a villain, she was incredibly under-utilised. I was really hoping the story would delve a little more into the mythology or at least have some twists.

The Paper Trail missions provide a TON of back story and information. Even if you don't like the ARG aspect of it, read a summary of it on IGN or wiki or something. It's got some really interesting tidbits and insight into the world and story. Also, I sorely missed the shield power. :( Was hoping ANY power would give me one, but the best we got was
concrete giving you a defense boost.

Just beat the game with good ending

Loved it. I love this series a lot.

I think sp should do something new though

*bro fist* This series is great, but you're right. I'd like to see SP do something different, too. Or at least shake up the formula a bit. Even playing Second Son, I almost felt like I was playing a prettier Infamous 1. Not that that was a bad thing, mind you, but I just wish there was a bit more to it. Thing is, I don't know what genre I would want SP to make a game for. Part of me feels the open world superhero genre is sorely under-represented, but I don't want them to be tied down to Infamous forever.

Just got the 3rd power on my Evil/Expert playthrough. Kind of disappointed there doesn't seem to be a slowdown effect for any power on the evil side. Also doesn't seem like it's more challenging on expert. Maybe its just a combination of me having a better feel for the game and that I can just kill whatever instead of trying to subdue.

Yeah, I think everyone is finding it to be easier on Expert mainly because 1) you're familiar with the boss fights and missions and enemy types from the good playthrough like most people did first and 2) like you said, being able to kill everyone without any regard to who it is makes the evil playthrough more about blowing stuff up and killing than being careful. Less thinking required, so to speak.

Dragon

Banned
K, thanks. I'm not too big on secondary stuff or trophies, but I want to get my first plat. and ISS motivated me to do so. I wouldn't want to waste time on the paper trail stuff if it isn't required.

I haven't jumped back in since I got my platinum but gotta say, the Paper Trail missions I did play (the first one) were some of the best side missions in the entire game. Very engaging and interesting unlike the more repetitive tasks.

Grinchy

Banned
The patch isn't out yet, right? I keep waiting for it before I do my 2nd playthrough. I want to experiment with 30fps and the no HUD option for it.

Top Bottom