• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

psychotron

Just got my platinum! Wish the patch would have come first because the stuttering every 5 seconds really made the experience less enjoyable.

a2satKi.jpg

daman824

Wrong. The Fetch and
Eugene
missions are different, and there's a tangible difference in the powers. It's quite obvious you haven't played the both sides.
So two different missions and some power differences?

That brings up another criticism. The powers are all awfully similar. The characters you get the powers from can do some crazy stuff, but you can't.

Added to the fact that there is no fast switch between powers. And you aren't really encouraged to switch and experiment. Neon is arguably the best all around power, so why should I switch. Infinite dash, take out people in two hits to the legs, and plenty of sources.

One of the powers (you know which one) should have allowed you to fly indefinitely. And each power should have been distinctly different. Make one power best in combat, and make another power valuable for mobility. Tons of missed potential there.

Look you can defend the game all you want. That doesn't give it more replay value or anything besides the absolute trash side activities. Added to the piss poor pacing, character development, and the crap bosses and you get a dissapointing game.

And why the fuck can't I control delsin in the water? Tons of little issues like that show that SP really doesn't have the manpower or budget to stay in this genre anymore.

Melchiah

That brings up another criticism. The powers are all awfully similar. The characters you get the powers from can do some crazy stuff, but you can't.

Added to the fact that there is no fast switch between powers. And you aren't really encouraged to switch and experiment. Neon is arguably the best all around power, so why should I switch. Infinite dash, take out people in two hits to the legs, and plenty of sources.

One of the powers (you know which one) should have allowed you to fly indefinitely. And each power should have been distinctly different. Make one power best in combat, and make another power valuable for mobility. Tons of missed potential there.

Look you can defend the game all you want. That doesn't give it more replay value or anything besides the absolute trash side activities. Added to the piss poor pacing, character development, and the crap bosses and you get a dissapointing game.

And why the fuck can't I control delsin in the water? Tons of little issues like that show that SP really doesn't have the manpower or budget to stay in this genre anymore.

The 3rd power is the most powerful on the evil side, whereas I liked to use Neon for battles on the good playthrough, but they all had their uses. For example, I found out on my second run, that the
Eugene
boss fight is easier with smoke power. I also switched the powers many times during the fights against the common enemies. It's not like there weren't several drawing points everywhere.

I agree, that the power you mentioned felt gimped when it came to traverse, but I was pretty satisfied with the powers. The side missions and enemies could definitely have used some variety.

Kssio_Aug

Am doing the Evil playthrough, and its really much easier play with Evil Karma. I mean... I finished with Good Karma at expert also, but Evil Karma you can just destroy everything and still get the karma points to use the special karma ability! OP just like the previous inFamous games, and its awesome!! lol

I may get the platinum trophy soon.

Edit: Sorry for the double post!

Kssio_Aug

About the bolded post, I have just to desagree!
Finished the game with good Karma at expert in my 1st playthrough, and my preference order was:
Video > Neon > Smoke > Concrete
. Now I am playing at evil Karma, also in expert, and just unlocked neon however already upgraded it almost completely and imho, Smoke > Neon with evil Karma. That said, Neon is not my prefered, and not even the most OP the way I play it.

Also, for those who played the previous games, should expect that the difference between good and evil karma is not THAT different (nor the history, neither the powers). However, it IS a different experience with both, also it is enjoyable, and it brings true value to the replay factor (thats why most of people finish the two paths). There's differences in some power abilities and also at the way you absorb karma, that changes completely the way you approach enemies.

My hopes for the next game would be:

• Actual side missions with some kind of story.
  • More diverse powers. Whilst in Second Sons we had more different powers. I felt a lot less powerful overall. There weren't bombs, or shields or multiple amounts of ionic storms.
  • Story needs to be better. Whilst I liked Augustine as a villain, she was incredibly under-utilised. I was really hoping the story would delve a little more into the mythology or at least have some twists.

Agreed. I want multiple sets of powers for a single element.

We need more side missions, when I say that I mean Good/Evil missions. I kind of want the same amount as infamous 1.

I want a villain that is on par or bigger than Kesslar.

Owzers

I'm bad at the boss fights so far.
Fetch kept turning me around trying to sprint through a closed area with lots of obstacles then the camera kept going wonky when i hit a wall
That was not a fun fight Xo

Melchiah

I'm bad at the boss fights so far.
Fetch kept turning me around trying to sprint through a closed area with lots of obstacles then the camera kept going wonky when i hit a wall
That was not a fun fight Xo

Yeah, the camera was certainly problematic there, when moving to the upper section via the walls.

Kud Dukan

I'm sure it was likely because I was really familiar with the mechanics and how the boss fights played out, but did expert seem pretty easy for anyone else? I beat both He Who Dwells and Augustine (both times around) on my first try for each on expert.

It seemed very easy after playing through the game once on Normal. Even the bosses weren't really a challenge. I was surprised how quickly I beat He Who Dwells, because I remember that boss battle taking a long time on Normal. I think at that point I just felt comfortable enough with my powers, and understood all the bosses mechanics, that it stopped being a challenge.

Got the platinum trophy last night. Really enjoyed my time with the game. Looking forward to seeing where they go next from here.

-Amon-

Really easy platinum get.

Now launching Second son just for the paper trail mission.

Need serious dlc, i like this game to much to stop playing it.

Oni Jazar

I need some hints on the Paper Trail (Part 2).

I'm stuck after Finding the Attorney Linda Kriley. I have her datebook and was able to find her record in the DUP website but it didn't give me anything useful.

Any tips where to find the info to proceed?

I need some hints on the Paper Trail (Part 2).

I'm stuck after Finding the Attorney Linda Kriley. I have her datebook and was able to find her record in the DUP website but it didn't give me anything useful.

Any tips where to find the info to proceed?

Go to her website and pay attention to l33t language.

LakeEarth

Hit a bug that forced me to reset the mission (3rd power spoiler):
I'm just before I find Eugene's hideout, and I have to destroy the TV screens in the "times square" kinda place. For whatever reason, I leave, almost hit the outskirts of the mission, and head back. When I get back, the enemies have stopped pouring out of the screens, and there are no "breakable" piece to the screens. I just keep shooting, but nothing's breaking. The mission is still on, the music is still going and the brother is tightly grasping a parking meter, but I've got nothing to do and no way to continue. Sucked having to repeat that mission.

And for myself, where exactly do I trigger Paper Trail? I did all the online website stuff, linked it to my profile, but I've never seen a paper trail mission in-game yet.

breakfuss

That's pretty cool.

My opinion on the game. Too short. Got the platinum, it was real easy and a fast platinum.

Is it seriously easy to plat? I mean for people (like me) who don't typically go for trophies. I think I should be done with my first playthrough tonight, but I've gotten frustrated a few times on my normal (Good karma) run. I can only imagine how annoying the DUP is on expert and "ain't nobody got time for dat".

Is it seriously easy to plat? I mean for people (like me) who don't typically go for trophies. I think I should be done with my first playthrough tonight, but I've gotten frustrated a few times on my normal (Good karma) run. I can only imagine how annoying the DUP is on expert and "ain't nobody got time for dat".

It is pretty short, I finished a playthrough including all side quests in one sitting

Does anyone have a good place to buy Delsin outfit?

Heh, I used to have that kind of marathons when I was younger. 15 hours for Resident Evil 2 was my longest one. Still have 7-9 hour marathons from time to time. I think Mass Effect was the latest.

Haha, I didn't even plan on having one - it was just so much fun I couldn't put it down.

breakfuss

It is pretty short, I finished a playthrough including all side quests in one sitting

Yeah, I realize it isn't very long but is expert not a much of a challenge? Man, I wish there was NG+ and powers carried over. I'm guessing the key to a smooth expert playthrough is collecting as many shards for upgrades before tackling the main missions.

Also, for anyone who didn't catch it, someone here gave a great tip for quickly taking out mobile command units. Just build up your atomic bomb gauge and unleash on top of them. Cheap but it works, lol.

LakeEarth

I still never found the start to the Paper Trail stuff. If my online paper trail still only has one achievement and says this:

Follow the White Rabbit
"On-Console Activity
*inFAMOUS Second Son required"

Does this mean it failed to link the website to my PSN? Because I entered my PSN profile no problem.

I still never found the start to the Paper Trail stuff. If my online paper trail still only has one achievement and says this:

Follow the White Rabbit
"On-Console Activity

Does this mean it failed to link the website to my PSN? Because I entered my PSN profile no problem.

It also said that to me as well, says that still.

You need to check the map and check the what I see as a 'bee' icon.

The start is at Fetch's container

EL CUCO

Follow the White Rabbit
"On-Console Activity

I was only able to do the first mission. It now asks me to "investigate the evidence" on the paper trail site, which I did. But now its asking me to enter a numeral code on what looks like a cell phone at the site. I entered a few wrong numbers and gave up on it. Lol

breakfuss

How is "best power" even debatable?! Neon all day. Not even close.

So, about to start my evil/expert run. Hopefully it doesn't prove too difficult. Will definitely be focusing on the neon tree. Not looking forward to doing the
he who dwells
battle again, though. Ugh.

Kssio_Aug

Just got the Platinum trophy!! =D

How is "best power" even debatable?! Neon all day. Not even close.

So, about to start my evil/expert run. Hopefully it doesn't prove too difficult. Will definitely be focusing on the neon tree. Not looking forward to doing the
he who dwells
battle again, though. Ugh.

I REALLY, dont understand how majoritiy really prefer Neon over all the others.
Imho, playing as Evil:
Video > Smoke > Neon
; playing as Hero:
Video > Neon > Smoke
. Also,
I changed from Video to Smoke a lot more at evil play, then I did Video to Neon playing as hero

I really dont think Neon was that good at the way I played. Specially with Evil Karma, that Neon completely sucks compared to the others... i mostly just used it when I wanted to travel over the city without fast travel. And I did both playthroughs at expert difficulty right from the beginning.

Best power is
concrete
I just wish there was more opportunity to use it. I love
smashing DUP structures as a sonic the hedgehog style ball
. It's my favourite power.

Kssio_Aug

ordering the limited collectors superior what the hell version for the cost of your soul and playing the boring ass Cole Missions.

jacket is nice though.

Actually you can get it if you did the digital pre-order too. I did it, and paid the normal price (60 dollars).

Best power is
concrete
I just wish there was more opportunity to use it. I love
smashing DUP structures as a sonic the hedgehog style ball
. It's my favourite power.
Concrete looks good really. My 1st impression was very disappointing but I used it a little more and it was fine. However would be good to have more upgrades and a special move. And to be honest... I think I may prefer concrete over Neon too; however too bad its the worst power to climb builds.

Imho, playing as Evil:
Video > Smoke > Neon
; playing as Hero:
Video > Neon > Smoke
. Also,
I changed from Video to Smoke a lot more at evil play, then I did Video to Neon playing as hero

I really dont think Neon was that good at the way I played. Specially with Evil Karma, that Neon completely sucks compared to the others... i mostly just used it when I wanted to travel over the city without fast travel. And I did both playthroughs at expert difficulty right from the beginning.

I agree with your evil assessment. Not having access to
slow aim
made neon pretty useless as a bad guy. I thought it was pretty useful as a good guy though, made getting karma bombs pretty easy, although the third power did that well too. I played good guy on my second playthrough and used neon just because I never used it as an evil character.

CAVE343

It was my first real plat (after the Walking Dead) and it's fairly easy but it does take some time. My evil run on expert was not hard at all. You have to be a bit more careful when taking damage, since you die a bit faster. But on evil you can go all out with rockets and stuff, so I didn't find it really hard at all. If you have the time, I would say go for the plat

Kssio_Aug

I agree with your evil assessment. Not having access to
slow aim
made neon pretty useless as a bad guy. I thought it was pretty useful as a good guy though, made getting karma bombs pretty easy, although the third power did that well too. I played good guy on my second playthrough and used neon just because I never used it as an evil character.

Yeah, as evil Neon
without slow motion
is almost useless. Also, Neon is more focused on single targeting, and that is really bad to fill the power gauge of the Evil Karma. Playing as Hero it is definitely a good power, however
I for most of the time still prefer Video with invisibility to fill the power gauge of Good Karma
. But I used Neon quite a lot too playing as Hero, it was jus not my favorite anyway.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Just got the Platinum trophy!! =D

Imho, playing as Evil:
Video > Smoke > Neon
; playing as Hero:
Video > Neon > Smoke
. Also,

What I missed with video was the unlimited run (faster to get around than the Videa flying--that should have been upgrade to unlimited too) and the grenades.

Invisibility is cool, but grenades (neon or smoke) where better for taking out clustered enemies IMO since the invisibility didn't last super long even fully upgraded.

That said, I've only done a good playthrough so I may have a different opinion if I ever get around to doing an evil run.

Anybody not have the Expert playthrough trophy pop for them when they beat the game? Just happened to me, and I changed it from jump street (it was my 2nd/evil playthrough)

I don't do trophies really, but was cool with trying to Platinum this.. Not if I need to do a fucking 3rd playthrough though.

I'm trying for Platinum playing Evil now, and wow Evil Delsin is such a dick. Evil Cole wasn't this big of a dick, he was just selfish. I kind of don't want to finish the Evil story.

Top Bottom