• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
2f0gaoy.jpg

----------------------
General Info
----------------------

Name: Infinite Undiscovery
Publisher: Square Enix
Developer: tri-Ace
System: Xbox 360

--------------------------
Release Date/Price:
--------------------------

Japan - September 11/8,190yen
US - September 2/$59.99
Europe - September 5

------------
Boxart
------------

iyj6lw.jpg

-----------------------
Preorder Bonus:
-----------------------

US
200512_bonusLG.jpg

EB/GS said:
Pre-order Infinite Undiscovery and receive a limited foil print plus a code to unlock your choice of five different in-game items which will affect your characters’ growth and abilities. While supplies last.

Japan:
2hpn8d0.jpg

JPN fans that preordered the game will get the same items as US fans, and in addition to that, they'll get a cd with music from Star Ocean 4, Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant.

--------------
Story:
--------------

joesmokey said:
The world of Infinite Undiscovery relies heavily upon the Moon. Each person in Infinite Undiscovery is given a glyph by the Moon which decides their destiny. The Order of Chains, led by Leonid, is trying to control the world by enslaving the Moon. With the Moon enchained, many natural disasters start occurring, wreaking havoc throughout the world. A group known as the Liberation Force is trying to break the chains holding the Moon.

The opening sequence starts with a young flute player named Capell, who gets imprisoned by the Order of Chains because he is mistaken for the legendary hero Sigmund the Liberator. Aya, a member of the Liberation Force, attempts to rescue Capell from imprisonment before realizing that he is not Sigmund. Once rescued, Capell joins the Liberation Force, led by Sigmund the Liberator.

-------------------
Characters:
-------------------

1009_0005.jpg

-----------------
Gameplay:
-----------------

1009_0015.jpg

Seamless - The combat in Infinite Undiscovery is seamless and there are no transitions. Like many other action RPGs and adventure games the battles take place in the same field of exploration.

1009_0002.jpg

Completely real time - The action in the game does not stop flowing, even when you need a time out from combat. Pressing the Back button will make the party sit down to rest, this also opens up the game menu allowing you to use items, change equipment and skills, and so on. But even then the action does not stop, if you do this in the middle of combat enemies will continue to attack without mercy. It is best to find a safe and quiet place before resting.

1009_0064.jpg

Basic combat - Pressing the A button delivers a normal attack on the targeted enemy, while the B button will deliver a heavy attack. Different combos will result in different sequences of attacks, with the heavy attack always being the final blow in a combo.

1009_0005.jpg

Battle Skills - As Capel gains various Battles Skills as he progresses, you will be able to map these attacks onto the X and Y buttons. Pressing the respective button in combat will trigger that skill. You can use a battle skill to finish a chain of regular attacks as well, instead of a heavy attack. Battle Skills take up MP when used.

1009_0069.jpg

Action Points - The vertical bar on the right of the screen represents the AP bar. When you gain Action Points, the AP bar increases and goes up. When an enemy is being attacked, the AP bar will indicate a level on the bar. If the current AP bar is higher than that level, heavy attacks and Battle Skills will gain an additional edge. Depending on the type of heavy attack or the individual Battle Skill, the enemy will either be struck into the air, knocked away or smashed onto the ground. This puts the enemy in a vulnerable position for additional combos.

1009_0016.jpg

1009_0017.jpg

1009_0018.jpg

Force - A successive series of combos on an enemy will result in Yellow Force gained for the party. This Yellow Force replenishes Action Points. When a successive series of combos are delivered on an enemy that has been struck into the air, Red Force will give the party additional experience points. A successive series of combos on an enemy that has been smashed onto the ground will result in Green Force, replenishing HP and MP for the party.

1009_0006.jpg

Connect Action - Similar to Battle Skills, Capel can also equip two Connect Actions for each party member, mapped to the X and Y buttons. In combat, hitting the RB button will show the Connect Guide which maps each of other other three party members onto a respective button - X, A and B. Hitting that button will connect Capel with that party member. When connected, Capel can still move normally and attack, but pressing X or Y will trigger the respective Connect Action which puts Capel in direct control of that character's respective skill for the moment.

1009_0013.jpg

Party Relations - Sometimes during or after a battle, party members will request to rest and recover. The player can ignore such requests but it will affect relations with that character negatively. Likewise the player can check the personal data of party members when in the camp menu to discover that character's traits and personality. If there is something the character likes or wants, going out of your way to fulfil that request will impact relations with that character positively.

1009_0015.jpg

Jobs - Each and every character in the game has a job class. The job class of the characters serve as both character background development, as well as a template for the types of skills the characters have. As Capel is a flute player, he is able to play tunes that can unlock passages and support the party's status.

1009_0003.jpg

Situation Battle - Throughout the various fields and dungeons of the game, there are many scripted events known as Situation Battles. These situations will pop up throughout the game as you advance in the story. When you return to areas later, it will be possible to explore more freely without the tension and high octane pace of the scripted events, but whenever the player is advancing in the game, there will be many varied scripted scenarios thrown at you to keep the game exciting and challenging. Some situations will have more than one possible solution, while others will require the player to figure out how to overcome the problem.

1009_0021.jpg

Use all your senses - Aside from visual contact, enemies and monsters can be attracted to sound and smell as well. When visual senses are clouded or blocked, the minimap will reflect the other senses instead. If the player uses an item with a strong smell, or performs an action which creates a loud sound, enemies can still be drawn to the party even in darkness.

-----------------------------
Trailers/Gameplay Footage:
-----------------------------

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5501.html

--------
Links
--------

http://www.infiniteundiscovery.com/ - Official US site
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/undiscovery/ - Official JPN site
http://blog.square-enix.com/undiscovery/ - Official Blog of the game
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324870 - News/Info thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319525 - Blog translation thread

-----------
Reviews
-----------

IGN - 7.1/10
Gamesradar - 7/10
Gamepro - 3/5
1up - B

---------
Credits
---------
gamersyde.com - for all the images :O
Himuro - for the banner
duckroll - for the gameplay write up
cianalas - for the boxarts image
joesmokey - for story summary

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
¥8190
Ugh.
Tri-Ace.
Ugh.
And yet I am buying it anyway!

RPGCrazied

nice thread man!

day 1.. well, im ordering it.. with cheap shipping, so ill play it like next week sometime lol

Akai

JPN fans that preordered the game will get the same items as US fans, and in addition to that, they'll get a cd with music from Star Ocean 4, Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant.

>=O

2DMention

Banned
Looks really fun. I'll pick it up, but won't play right away because I'd be in the middle of this when DQ4 hits, and I want to play that first.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Can't wait, great thread Error. :D

Especially that banner, holy crap Himuro. :O

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Day 1, only question is whether I devote full attention to this first, TOV first, or try to play them both at the same time....

Aeana

Hopefully, I'll enjoy this. tri-Ace and I have a rocky history, and my general dislike for action RPGs doesn't help, but I get a good feeling from this particular game, for whatever reason. We'll see!

DiddyBop

Looks great. I was thinking of waiting till it gets a pricedrop before i buy but a good review from ign along with positive impressions from GAF could change my mind. when is last remnant supposed to drop?

Great OP.

Game looks so good.

Other obligatory comments here for first post of many.

eznark said:
is infinite undiscovery not the jrpg coming to the PC? I could have sworn this was announced.

That's Last Remnant I believe.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Hey, he didn't type up something about the story. I wonder if this is some avant-garde comment on stories in today's role playing games!

eznark

Banned
Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery...seriously, title your shit better and I won't get it confused! Guess now I can at least pick it up day 1 without consternation as to which platform.

alanias

eznark said:
is infinite undiscovery not the jrpg coming to the PC? I could have sworn this was announced.

I believe you're talking about Last Remnant, that's the UE3 engine game for Ps3, 360, and PC. UI is 360 exclusive.

joesmokey

Amazon better deliver this the same day!

Can't decide if I want to read reviews of this first or just jump in straight without knowing much else about the game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Aeon712 said:
I wanna buy this day 1 but with Disgeia releasing tomorrow I dunno.
You get your system back yet? And this is a day 1 for me. Well maybe not. Must honor Duckroll and get day 24!

h3ro

I'm just thinking how weird its going to feel for me seeing the Square-Enix logo after I load up my 360...:lol

Anyone know how the leveling system works in this game? Does experience gained from kills my party makes spread to all characters or only go to the character that made the kill?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Jonsoncao said:
wow

NA boxart tops the JP boxart first time in the RPG genre!!!!

I also like the NA box art the best of all 3, its dark, onimous and chaotic, sort of like a tornado.

Top Bottom