• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I don't think SE is ever going to a put a demo of one of their games in PSN/XBL, honestly.

Error

Well, I mean one of their rpgs. Sylpheed is a shooter, and not a really famous one at that. So I think they didn't really care.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Can't believe this is coming out so soon... I still gotta make it through Wild Arms 3! And I still have to preorder, guess I'm doing that on my way home tonight.

This isn't good. Please tell me I'm wrong because Im a bit nervous here.

*EDIT* I made a mistake. Don't want to cause any more trouble than I already caused. My apologies!/*EDIT

I really, really want this to be wrong because I'm SOOO looking forward to this and Ive already paid for it!

alanias

I went to EBGames/Gamestop's website and it is now listed for September 29th!!!

I really, really want this to be wrong because I'm SOOO looking forward to this and Ive already paid for it!

It's August 29th, not September, that's just the ship date.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Error said:
No... Friday is the ship date, It'll be available next Tuesday.

Depends on what air service they use, it could be available for pick up on Saturday. FedEx delivers air on Saturday and UPS has a specific Saturday delivery air service. I remember picking up Shadow Hearts Covenant from EB on a Saturday because Midway aired it that Friday. Its rare but it does happen.

totoro'd

Why does this have to come out sooo close to Tales of Vesperia!? There's been a big console rpg drought for awhile, and suddenly the 2 most anticipated rpgs of the year (for me anyway) come out within weeks of each other. Ugh.

I'm getting this on day one for the preorder bonus and to help boost numbers, but probably won't play it until like Christmas.

FrankT

I went to EBGames/Gamestop's website and it is now listed for September 29th!!!

Pre-order Ships 9/2/2008

It was showing August 29th. If my Gamestop somehow has there shipment on Saturday I'll be grabbing my pre-order.

wow. did I mess that up.

I saw the 29 and my mind filled in the blanks as "OMG, its been delayed!" without thinking about it. I panicked and jumped to a conclusion. Sorry about that.

WHEW! :D

I freaking cannot wait for this game.
I timed my beating Blue Dragon on Hard Mode so that I can pick this one up next without missing a JPRP beat.

Looking forward to the reviews + GAF impressions on this one.

I'm interested but hesitant due to college starting up again for me tomorrow. Not to mention this Fall has me concerned enough for my wallet as it is.

Median

Ships Friday, in store Tuesday? I may pick it up, most of my classes don't start until the week after next. Infinite Undiscovery, you sultry bitch.

Gamestop is now showing a shipping date of Sept 2nd. It looks like the whole 29th thing is a no go. I guess I will play through ToV first then.

Someone give me reassurances!

Ever since I realized that you can only (ever apparently) control the main character, I've been pretty depressed about this game. To the point I really doubt I'll be buying it (I might even buy [god help me] ToV instead).

I mean, I know it's not the exact same battle system as SO3 or similar, but anyone who has played SO3 as extensively as I have immediately realizes a few things, and how only being able to control a single character is HORRIBLE in about 50-billion various ways I don't feel like explaining in detail. I just can't help that the combat is going to be seriously crappy because of this, and ESPECIALLY, the replay value as you can't control the other (myriad) characters.

But just a few basic points:

1) It's entirely possible the Main Character will, in fact, suck complete donkey balls

2) He very may well be too annoying to stomach

3) Being able to manually control all the characters makes battles 1000x more interesting. If you can't understand this point and the myriad of subpoints that could be made for it, we can't even begin to have a discussion - in fact it is nearly certain that you play these types of games incredibly wrong.

Oh, and can't forget trusty #4

4) IT IS VERY LIKELY THE AI WILL BE HORRIBLE ON THE VAST MAJORITY OF CHARACTERS

Error

I'm pretty sure Capell will, obviously, be the character with the most skills in the game. Not only does he has a flute which sports a variety of different abilities, but he also has battle skills to make up for that.

Also, the Connect System is, IMO, a really neat addition to the combat. being able to basically manually coordinate attacks between Capell and another party member should lead to some really cool looking combos. Ogawa was very specific about not wanting players to feel as if the other party members are simple 'peons' you use in battles, hence the decision of not allowing full control of all the characters. Whether you agree with his design choice or not, is subjective, and if you feel you can't enjoy the game like that... the simple choice is not to buy it.

Ogawa: I suggested that I would like to see players enjoying "communication with comrades" in a real-time world. I wanted players to experience the adventure by interacting with characters that are not simply pawns (or units), but are actual comrades with their own personalities. To enhance the experience, we have prepared a variety of dialogue for many types of situations.

Infinite Undiscovery has a system that does not provide too many commands to control the actions of party members, so at times it may feel restrictive, but that is all part of our intention. These characters will advance and attack as they see fit. Travelling alongside characters with personality, who won't necessarily listen to your every command – this element is probably what sets this game's system apart from traditional offline RPG party systems

as for the "may not listen to your every command" the latest update in JPN site went over this. Basically every character has Personal Traits, which influence combat. For instance, Aya is afraid of reptiles so when she in the party and you encounter reptiles enemies her stats will go down and she'll refuse to target them.

Rimshot

I'm still having a hard time deciding between this game and ToV. I loved Tales of Symphonia but all the Tales games I have played after that hasn't been able to hold up to the same standard so I'm scared I'll be disappointed at ToV because of earlier experience. Yet people say the battle system of IU is like Star Ocean 3, which I found a little counter intuitive. That coupled with the complaints from the 1UP crew makes me question the quality of the title.

Maybe I should just give up on rpgs? :/ Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Enchanted Arms hasn't been able to keep me playing more then the first couple of hours.

Rimshot

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
Forgot we had an official thread now, has anyone gotten their pre order bonus yet?

Do one get the pre order bonus if one orders from vgplus? Otherwise where should I order it from that ships to europe for not too expensive prices?

Durante

Rimshot said:
Do one get the pre order bonus if one orders from vgplus? Otherwise where should I order it from that ships to europe for not too expensive prices?
Are we even sure this game is region free? Or do you have a US 360?

Paracelsus

Rimshot said:
Maybe I should just give up on rpgs? :/ Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Enchanted Arms hasn't been able to keep me playing more then the first couple of hours.

Looking at the games in your statement, I'd just say:

You were goddamn unlucky. Don't give up, and try again with IU.

Rimshot

Durante said:
Are we even sure this game is region free? Or do you have a US 360?

Yes I have a US 360. If I knew it would be regionfree I would pre-order it here in Sweden :/

So does anyone know if vgplus has the pre order bonuses?

Soroc

Great job OP. Quick question does your armor change in this game? It looks like in screens that you can equip different armor pieces and it will show on your character? Please tell me this is true :D

Captain N

Soroc said:
Great job OP. Quick question does your armor change in this game? It looks like in screens that you can equip different armor pieces and it will show on your character? Please tell me this is true :D

it doesn't show on your characters at all when you change.

Error said:
I'm pretty sure Capell will, obviously, be the character with the most skills in the game. Not only does he has a flute which sports a variety of different abilities, but he also has battle skills to make up for that.

Also, the Connect System is, IMO, a really neat addition to the combat. being able to basically manually coordinate attacks between Capell and another party member should lead to some really cool looking combos. Ogawa was very specific about not wanting players to feel as if the other party members are simple 'peons' you use in battles, hence the decision of not allowing full control of all the characters. Whether you agree with his design choice or not, is subjective, and if you feel you can't enjoy the game like that... the simple choice is not to buy it.

as for the "may not listen to your every command" the latest update in JPN site went over this. Basically every character has Personal Traits, which influence combat. For instance, Aya is afraid of reptiles so when she in the party and you encounter reptiles enemies her stats will go down and she'll refuse to target them.

Having some control over how they use their moves is good.

I'll very likely still buy. I'm just a bit sad that it's basically going to be impossible for the game to live up to the gameplay experience that SO3 delivered (laugh now peasants). Well, it isn't as if SO4 isn't also in development.

I really do wonder how much control you'll be able to exert over their movements (via their moves or otherwise). It's just that I get a bit worried thinking about the (inevitable) higher difficulties + possibly stupid AI... and of course the Super Bosses that will likely instant 1 hit kill you.

Troidal

Japan isn't getting it until the 11th so I guess we'll hear some stuff about the game sooner.

Post your impressions guys!

matmanx1

Sorry IU, Disgaea 3 and ToV are getting my money this week and their may not be any left over for you for awhile.

That being said, if the review scores are decent I will pick it up as soon as I have the necessary fundage. I'm already planning on buying Warhammer Online when it releases on the 18th so the next few weeks could be very costly indeed!

Rimshot

Well I got a mail from vgplus, they do not carry the pre order codes :/
Now does anyone else know of a good internet shop that ships to Sweden? Without taking 40 bucks for it like gamestop (the shipping that is)

IPGlider

Rimshot said:
Well I got a mail from vgplus, they do not carry the pre order codes :/
Now does anyone else know of a good internet shop that ships to Sweden? Without taking 40 bucks for it like gamestop (the shipping that is)

play.com has the codes and the shipping is free.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Error said:
For some reason, those hot links from Famitsu never work. I have to go to the main site and select the content from there. The hot link just says "forbidden". IP blocking?

Good trailer, though. What was the deal with that "no voice acting" rumor/comment anyways? There is plenty of voice acting here and I'd assume the same for the US release.

h3ro

dark10x said:
For some reason, those hot links from Famitsu never work. I have to go to the main site and select the content from there. The hot link just says "forbidden". IP blocking?

I hit the link and get the "Forbidden" message as well. Just hit enter with the address in the address bar and it loads up. I think they don't allow outside links to lead directly to the site...

Error

Just saw the newest famitsu scans, too.

3 more characters introduced, doesn't look like they are playable though. Also Item Creation... Gustav cooks.

Top Bottom