• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Blade II |OT| Swiping never felt so good

Mik2121

5Lyre.png

x29oo.png

HQd1S.png
uQfVr.png

KH4Kk.png

(Infinity Blade II should be available in a few hours in the US store. The link is already working on the upper button)

6Wvb1.png

Infinity Blade II: iPad 1, iPad 2, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s*, iPod Touch 4th and 3rd Gen (16GB+)

Infinity Blade: iPad 1, iPad 2, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPod Touch 4th and 3rd Gen (16GB+)

* Infinity Blade 2 will include extra visual upgrades only available on the iPhone 4s, but it will run perfectly on the other devices.

zqQJl.png

A ROBUST & DYNAMIC 3D WORLD
Explore beautiful and immersive environments that dynamically change over time during your travels.
Venture to exotic locations such as the Asian themed Saydhi’s Estate or the medieval inspired Vault of Tears featuring multiple paths to explore.

ALL-NEW STYLES OF COMBAT
Now you can choose from multiple classes of weapons, armor and spells, each with specialized capabilities such as Dual Wielding, Two-Handed and the standard Weapon & Shield class.

CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION EVOLVED
Create and forge even more powerful weapons with mystical objects you discover and collect along your journey, expanding your overall arsenal with all-new elemental powers & capabilities.

YLGVf.png

Nothing announced yet.

HCzOq.png

The God King has been defeated, an unlikely hero has emerged and now you must discover the truth behind the secrets of the Infinity Blade.
The continuing journey of young Siris unfolds as you delve deeper into the world of the Deathless tyrants and their legion of Titans.
Can you unlock all the mysteries and successfully wield the power of the Infinity Blade in this timeless adventure of champions and villains?

You can find more by reading the recently released novel, Infinity Blade: Awakening ($2.99).

T4Yy4.png

9ZiDy.png

w0gbr.png

kWPct.png

GDJustin
The exploration is still "node-based." You don't wander around [...] The difference is that there are multiple paths to explore now.
Combat in general feels tighter/better. There's lots of little tweaks that "evolve" the combat and make it feel more like a proper combat system [...]
Original Post

Mik2121

Wanted to keep it simple, but I'll be adding more sections like "EXPANSIONS" whenever they release extra DLC for the game, and a link to the GameCenter thread over Community, to exchange IDs to play together. Also if you guys think I should add something else, go ahead.

I'll also take the first reply (hopefully...) in case I need to add something extra and run out of space.

Edit: Seems like someone got ahead, with a super witty and funny reply.

I just finished the first one earlier this week so I'm ready. Between this and Don't Run with a Plasma Sword, next week will be good for iOS gaming.

Big Chungus

So, err, what's different? >_>

Read the original post:

"A ROBUST & DYNAMIC 3D WORLD
Explore beautiful and immersive environments that dynamically change over time during your travels.
Venture to exotic locations such as the Asian themed Saydhi’s Estate or the medieval inspired Vault of Tears featuring multiple paths to explore.

ALL-NEW STYLES OF COMBAT
Now you can choose from multiple classes of weapons, armor and spells, each with specialized capabilities such as Dual Wielding, Two-Handed and the standard Weapon & Shield class.

Create and forge even more powerful weapons with mystical objects you discover and collect along your journey, expanding your overall arsenal with all-new elemental powers & capabilities."

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Read the original post:

"A ROBUST & DYNAMIC 3D WORLD

ALL-NEW STYLES OF COMBAT

Create and forge even more powerful weapons with mystical objects you discover and collect along your journey, expanding your overall arsenal with all-new elemental powers & capabilities."
What will it cost?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Will consider it if runs fine on my iPhone 4, though ill probably just wait till i get my ipad next year.

Nori Chan

inb4 father dying jokes

I loved the first one but I don't get into the multiplayer. How was it? Will it be in this one too?

looking forward to this, I really liked the first one, Although I think I am going to wait for impressions of how it runs on my aging ipod touch 4th generation.

Pastry

Banned
I enjoyed the first one, this looks like it will fix some of the smaller problems I had with the game. Did anyone read the short novel? Could they spoil it for me please?

Zeth

I spent so many hours playing Infinity Blade. I even enjoyed the multiplayer which was actually really good, despite the rage-quitting pandemic.

I'm super hyped for this. The original is on sale for $2.99 if you don't have it. I believe this will release for $6.99.

Ninja Dom

looking forward to this, I really liked the first one, Although I think I am going to wait for impressions of how it runs on my aging ipod touch 4th generation.

iPod Touch 4th Gen is still the most recent Touch. Should run great on that unit. Maybe even better than the iPhone 4 as it doesn't have the phone functioning in the background. But the Touch has half the RAM.

Zomba13

So by 'Explore beautiful and immersive environments' does it mean actually explore or is it still on rails?

Really enjoyed the first one. Looked amazing for an iPod game too.

I've played quite a bit of Infinity Blade 2, and have it on my iPad right now. If anyone has any questions about the game I'll do my best to answer them.

That would be awesome. Can you elaborate on the features in the OP? Specifically...

1. How do you traverse the world? I guess it still has this bloodline mechanic but can you miss entire regions i.e. is it a practically linear experience or are the branching paths more fleshed out? What are those dynamic changes mentioned?

2. How much do the fighting styles differ from each other and how have they improved it from the first one?

3. I think I've read that you can put gems and the like into your equipment. How does this system work? Is there more to it?

And if you have the nerves: What would you tell to someone who found the first one repetitive and too shallow to convince him to buy this?

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: I'm reading your review right now, so you don't have to answer anything if you already wrote about it there.

Edit2: Haha, you adressed almost everything I wanted to know :)

Alright, some other stuff then:

1. Is the leveling system in any way different from IB1?

2. How are the gems integrated into the shop? Can you level them up like other equipments? Can you remove them from a piece of equipment or are they locked?

3. Is grinding like hell still required?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
That would be awesome. Can you elaborate on the features in the OP? Specifically...

1. How do you traverse the world? I guess it still has this bloodline mechanic but can you miss entire regions i.e. is it a practically linear experience or are the branching paths more fleshed out? What are those dynamic changes mentioned?

2. How much do the fighting styles differ from each other and how have they improved it from the first one?

3. I think I've read that you can put gems and the like into your equipment. How does this system work? Is there more to it?

And if you have the nerves: What would you tell to someone who found the first one repetitive and too shallow to convince him to buy this?

Thanks in advance :)

1. The exploration is still "node-based." You don't wander around. You tap a path and your character (Siris) walks there, from fight to fight. The difference is that there are multiple paths to explore now.

When you reach the end of one path, you fight a GodKing-esque boss and are then sent back to the start, and you can then head down a different path next time if you want. There is a story-based reason for these "loops" but it's a pretty big spoiler so I'm not gonna get into it. But it's a lot smarter and more intriguing than the first game's "you play as your son!" mechanic.

The game is "dynamic" because sometimes paths don't open up until several loops in. Time passes between each loop, so a giant tree grows and opens up a new path for you to explore, or a giant glacier melts and opens up a path.

Even within these ~3 separate paths there's more options for where to go. Fight an optional one-off fight for a piece of treasure, etc.

I would say there is probably 5x the amount of "space." It'll take hours to see everything once this time around.

2. Defensively the fighting styles feel the same - you're still dodging. Offensively they feel different. Heavy weapons don't have a combo system, but you do bonus damage my slashing in specific directions. Dual weapons emphasize combos more.

Combat in general feels tighter/better. There's lots of little tweaks that "evolve" the combat and make it feel more like a proper combat system and not just a minigame. Enemies casting magic, "sword clashes" where weapons clash together and you have to tap quickly to win, etc.

3) Weapons and armor have gem slots in different shapes. Triangle, Circle, Square. Gems are found at random (not bought) in those shapes. Slot a gem, get the bonus. You CAN remove gems from a slot if you pay a fee. Otherwise removing a gem destroys it.

Gems range from normal stat boosts like + dmg, +magic, to weirder things like +drop rate and +gold on scratch damage.

~~~

If someone felt the first one was too light on content and too repetitive, I think they might really like the sequel. It has hours more content and more unique fighting styles. It's still grindy though.

GDJustin

Alright, some other stuff then:

1. Is the leveling system in any way different from IB1?

2. How are the gems integrated into the shop? Can you level them up like other equipments? Can you remove them from a piece of equipment or are they locked?

3. Is grinding like hell still required?

1. Leveling system is identical. It seems like you "master" things a little faster, maybe? But it's identical, with the same character stats.

2. Gems are not leveled. They are discovered in the world and not purchased. They are not unique or named like equipment... I think they are random. I have one that is +116% item drop rate for example.

You can pay a fee to remove a gem from a slot.

This might be fixed in the release (I have preview code) but gems don't seem balanced right now. Earlier my total damage was about 10, and I got a gem drop that added +40 damage. I one-shot everything for a long time.

3. Yes the game is still very grind-heavy. But it "feels" better because it takes a long time for players to see everything. You're grinding as you're exploring new areas.

Oh that sounds definitely great and seems to fix most of the complaints I had about the first game. The grinding thing is a bummer but I guess it was to be expected. Hopefully they'll fix that gem glitch though haha. I'll definitely get the game eventually based on your review and posts, just not at launch :) Thank you very much, you're awesome for taking the time to write this.

GeekyDad

I thought the 3GS is the base device for the game?

I'll be a sad panda if it doesn't since I have a 3G Itouch. Guess I wait for Ipad 3.

Well, it would be sweet if it did. I'm playing the first game now on my 3GS, and though I'm sure it looks much better on 4 and 4S, the game itself is a lot of fun.

GDJustin

I believe IB2 will run on every device IB1 ones on... might be wrong.

I wouldn't expect it to run well, though. Even the first benefits significantly from an iPad2 or 4S, and the second has a lot more crazy graphical effects.

I haven't played the first, so I guess I'm new to this series. Pardon my reaction:

HOLY FUCK AT THOSE VISUALS. THE LIGHTING. Wow!! I can't believe what kind of visuals smartphones can crank out these days..

ok, I'm done.

Oxx

I put plenty of time into the first one, but I'm going to be that guy and say 'I'll wait for the sale'.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I have played the first one more than any other iOS game by a country mile. Nearing around 800 victories I think. December 1 is going to be good!!

Flunkie

Banned
Was really addicted to the first one for awhile, then I couldn't stand it because it became so mundane. Hope this one adds a little twist to the action at least.

GeekyDad

Do I need to have played the first before this one?

I can't imagine why you would. Though the premise of the game is pretty cool, the story elements are very meager. Considering it's using the same title, the concept will likely be the same. The combat and whatnot will surely be explained, so you should be good to go.

I'll wait for the dollar sale.

Prepare to wait a good while, as the first one just came down to $3 after, what, about a year?

Top Bottom